New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Wars 2!

1. - Top - End - #781
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Default Re: Guild Wars 2!

Quote Originally Posted by nhbdy View Post
    Also is this community organized in game? Do we have a server that has more activity? Any guilds?
    Yes there is a GitPG, just post your in game name, and I'm sure you will get an invite soon. 95% sure they are on Tarnished Coast. Ogremindes is the leader, and a few other board posters are admins that could invite you.

Also, see my sig :)

Hope to see you in game!
    Last edited by Hullabaloo; 2012-09-28 at 12:23 PM.

2. - Top - End - #782
    Ogre in the Playground

I've been thinking of rolling a Sword/Pistol Mesmer, in light of the difficulty I have encountered thus far in acquiring a decent looking pair of medium armor pants.

Thoughts on Sword/Pistol viability? I was thinking of playing a Duelist build of some sort.

3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground

There's also The Charrdians (which I'm a member of) that has quite a few GitP'ers. We're on Piken Square which is also the unofficial RP server (though our guild isn't a dedicated RP one.).
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #784
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Neftren View Post
    I've been thinking of rolling a Sword/Pistol Mesmer, in light of the difficulty I have encountered thus far in acquiring a decent looking pair of medium armor pants.

Thoughts on Sword/Pistol viability? I was thinking of playing a Duelist build of some sort.
    Sword is good for damage but has the issue of requiring you to stay in melee with enemies that will kill you almost immediately with normal attacks. The #2 skill (Blurred Frenzy) is good as it gives you distortions while doing ok damage.

However, the issue is that sword+pistol has very little in the way of utility. You have a 1-second stun, (with a cripple) immobilize and pure damage. Where as something like Scepter+Focus has: more illusions to kite with, comparable damage, plenty of confusion, aoe shield that reflects projectiles and an aoe speed boost/cripple and pull.

Sword/pistol is fun but the ranged options are much more versatile while still doing decent damage.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Not a fan of sword/pistol. I think sword/sword or septer/ pistol would be better. One is in your face melee and the other range.

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    There's also The Charrdians (which I'm a member of) that has quite a few GitP'ers. We're on Piken Square which is also the unofficial RP server (though our guild isn't a dedicated RP one.).
    You should probably mention Piken Square is the Unofficial EU RP Server. Tarnished Coast is the NA RP Server.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    Sword is good for damage but has the issue of requiring you to stay in melee with enemies that will kill you almost immediately with normal attacks. The #2 skill (Blurred Frenzy) is good as it gives you distortions while doing ok damage.

However, the issue is that sword+pistol has very little in the way of utility. You have a 1-second stun, (with a cripple) immobilize and pure damage. Where as something like Scepter+Focus has: more illusions to kite with, comparable damage, plenty of confusion, aoe shield that reflects projectiles and an aoe speed boost/cripple and pull.

Sword/pistol is fun but the ranged options are much more versatile while still doing decent damage.

I was thinking of going for a build that just focuses on summoning as many illusions as possible. Is there a hard-cap of three at a time?

7. - Top - End - #787
    Orc in the Playground

Very viable, it was one of the weapon sets everyone was using after release.

However, I think a month out, people are finally starting to expand out to the other weapons. Namely, Scepter/Double Sword/Torch.

Double sword's becoming more prevalent in PvP, but in general if you can trait for it, sword 5 will do heavy amounts of damage, moreso than a duelist.

Scepter is a good replacement for Main-hand sword for some dungeons, where going into melee range would be a really bad idea.

Scepter/Torch is even better, constant stacks of confusion.

Scepter/Torch and Staff is better still, because your condition damage traits will boost both weapon sets, whereas Sword/Pistol is all power-based.

I was thinking of going for a build that just focuses on summoning as many illusions as possible. Is there a hard-cap of three at a time?
    Hard cap of three, and scepter is good for a clone-spam build. So is double sword.
    Last edited by Treayn; 2012-09-28 at 12:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Ogre in the Playground

I prefer Focus to Torch. The aoe shield is fantastic and the pull on the wall is good in pvp. Staff and Greatsword are both fantastic options on your second weapon slot in my opinion.

9. - Top - End - #789
    Titan in the Playground

My Mesmer uses Staff as his primary weapon but switches to Scepter + Pistol frequently. I tried Scepter + Torch, but not for long, and my current combination works well enough.
    Speaking of weapon sets, I really can't decide between using a Longbow or a Rifle as the secondary set for my Warrior. The Longbow has nice AoO effects, but the Rifle is great for dropping single targets...
    Last edited by Morty; 2012-09-28 at 02:58 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

10. - Top - End - #790
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Penguinizer View Post
    I prefer Focus to Torch. The aoe shield is fantastic and the pull on the wall is good in pvp. Staff and Greatsword are both fantastic options on your second weapon slot in my opinion.
    Issue with Focus 5 is the targeting system on it. It requires an enemy, and it requires an enemy to stand still. If it was AoE-targetable I'd use it in a heartbeat. Focus 4 is really good though, that almost makes up for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    My Mesmer uses Staff as his primary weapon but switches to Scepter + Pistol frequently. I tried Scepter + Torch, but not for long, and my current combination works well enough.
    You need a certain trait to make Scepter/Torch extremely potent. Said trait changes from 'confusion up some of the time' to 'confusion on the enemy all the time'. Can't recall the name of it atm though.
    Last edited by Treayn; 2012-09-28 at 03:39 PM.

11. - Top - End - #791
    Orc in the Playground

For a sword/pistol mesmer build I'd certainly grab 15 in chaos and inspiration. iDuelist (pistol 4) procs the regen (and thus protection) twice as fast as other phantasms so with 2 of them out you'll actually be perma regen/protectioned and will stack duration to cap for both. Grab Illusionary Defense and Persisting Images as well and you and your images will actually be pretty damn sturdy.

12. - Top - End - #792
    Orc in the Playground

It's odd, I don't think we've had mention of any necromancers in the last few pages of the thread.

I've started on it as my second class, but I'm not as familiar with it as mesmer. Any necros care to share traits and builds?

13. - Top - End - #793
    Ogre in the Playground

Main problems with necros is that they currently are bugged as hell.

I believe the last necro class specific bug list was around 100 bugs, which I think more or less is the amount of bugs of all other classes combined

And it isn´t all minor stuff, there are some pretty huge bugs too, for example the ability that removes all conditions from an ally and gives them to you... it only copies them, so in the end you have all the conditions and your ally has too
    Last edited by Emmerask; 2012-09-29 at 02:05 PM.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Troll in the Playground

Can anyone enlighten me a bit of Thiefs? I'm itching to make one but would like to hear some thoughts from people who've actually played on first.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #795
    Troll in the Playground

Imagine a DnD 3.5 rogue. Now imagine sneak attack only applying to a melee target, and throw in that monsters like to attack whoever is squishiest.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

16. - Top - End - #796
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Treayn View Post
    It's odd, I don't think we've had mention of any necromancers in the last few pages of the thread.

I've started on it as my second class, but I'm not as familiar with it as mesmer. Any necros care to share traits and builds?
    My necro is level 42. Currently run with curses 20 and death magic 10. I'll normally use plague form and wells for dungeons with Focused Rituals and Ritual of Protection for ground targeting for wells and they give protection. Plague form blind is excellent and all the dark fields you can place out means even more blinds when plague form is down (not to mention the blindness well).

For normal stuff I'll use Staff Mastery, Mastery of Corruption, and Hemophilia with Epidemic and Blood is Power as utilities. I tend to use staff and scepter/dagger. Blood of Power, dagger 4 to redirect the bleeding I just received to the enemy, then epidemic to spread it. For zerg events I'll just stick to staff and fire off epidemic on veterans. Normally I'll run with 1 or 2 pets for non-dungeon stuff as well though I don't depend on them.

Pets are fairly bugged (sometimes staring at flowers instead of fighting), and from what I've seen using the flesh golem causes my other pets to have a higher chance of bugging out. Using their active skills will sometimes cause them to start fighting. If you start your attack when they are in melee range to the target I've noticed that the pets are much more likely to get involved.

I tend to mix condition and toughness gear

A did a test a week ago with downleveled minions to lvl 9 to get an idea of their hp relative to each other:
    single bone minion: 189
    bone fiend: 279
    flesh wurm: 334
    shadow fiend: 473
    flesh golem: 622

Didn't have the flesh wurm at the time.

Also necro pets are unaffected by your stats.
    Last edited by illyrus; 2012-10-02 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added in flesh wurm

17. - Top - End - #797
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

My main is necro. My build is bleed focused, so I have 30 Curses. I've also traited for wells because they give huge party support, as illyrus said. However, unless I'm in a dungeon group I only use two: the damage+vuln one (lots of damage), and the heal. That's because my two favourite utilities are Epidemic and Shadow Walk. Shadow Walk is 30s swiftness on demand and a one-shot portal to kite better and it looks cool as hell; Epidemic is awesome when you stack bleed on a target, or when five enemies are attacking the wurm in WvW.

Weapons of choice are staff and scepter. Staff is by far the strongest weapon because it's always useful: it has bleeds, regen, poison fields, a finisher, chill, condition transfer, fear, fast life force buildup, and everything AoE on top of that. There's a reason it has slow recharges. For my build, I use Scepter as well, of course. A direct damage build will find dagger and axe alright, however necro straight damage is a bit subpar at the moment. Offhand, for me either dagger or focus as they both give amazing utility.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

18. - Top - End - #798
    Barbarian in the Playground

My copy arrives in a few days. Looking forward to exploring a new world and stabbing monsters in the face. With magic.
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

19. - Top - End - #799
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post
    Can anyone enlighten me a bit of Thiefs? I'm itching to make one but would like to hear some thoughts from people who've actually played on first.
    Thieves are extremely mobile and can get in and out of combat quite easily. Weapon skills run off of an energy system with no cooldowns. While you can run with a sword or dagger, you're not meant for front line combat; get in, do some damage, get out. Show Bows give you some fantastic AoE effects, with poison clouds, explosives, and other goodies. On the other hand, pistols are single-target damage (mostly damage over time) with plenty of conditions. Going Dual pistols gives you a bleed, daze, vulnerability, and a blind combo field.
    Dodging is absolutely critical, as there are several traits that give you effects when you dodge. For skills, poisons are good, caltrops are amazing (AoE that gives stacks upon stacks of bleeding while crippling), and if you want to go more support there are several defensive abilities that grant stealth to allies and things like that.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Posted by Keld Denar
    What can I say? When life gives you lemons, you BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH YOUR LAZER BEAMS!
    Avatar by the wonderful A Rainy Knight.

20. - Top - End - #800
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Badgerish View Post
    My copy arrives in a few days. Looking forward to exploring a new world and stabbing monsters in the face. With magic.
    Daggerelementalist. Be a firebender.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Troll in the Playground

Daggerele has poor range.

Short-bow thief. Play Haley.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #802
    Troll in the Playground

Water Dagger has decent range, especially if you back it up with Arcane skills.

(Which is actually my current build. 20 % extra damage against vulnerable targets and my arcane skills inflict vulnerability as well? The one auto-crit spells makes water dagger 1 inflict two stacks per hit. )
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #803
    Banned

Dagger1water pierces, so it hits once on the way out and once on the way back to you. As long as they both hit, any standard attack from dagger1water applies two stacks of vulnerability.
    Unless you're saying that it would apply four total from that sequence, in which case I have no idea. I don't use arcane skills on my Ele. He uses cantrips instead.
    Last edited by Shadow; 2012-10-01 at 07:21 AM.

24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground

Would apply four then (2 on the way in, 2 on the way out), yesh~
    Last edited by Astrella; 2012-10-01 at 11:49 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #805

If anyone wants to frolic about with some company, I'm on Eredon Terrace.

Nanoblack.6709

26. - Top - End - #806
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'm getting into the game now (and it's sucking up so much of my time!)

The Asura are so cheerfully deranged, I'm laughing out loud at so many of the quests involving them.

Mesmer was my first class, still not sure about them, although they got so much better when I got a staff and greatsword to play with.

Well, time to prep for D&D, then Guild Wars afterwards.
    Always kill your enemies, otherwise they will come back to haunt you - anon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    No one will ever be able to question your sense of style when you explain that you cut your own hair with your boot knife. Mainly because if they do, you have a knife in your boot.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveD
    "A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most ****ed up game show. Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH! Behind door number 2: A magic crown! Behind door number 3: ten pounds of sugar being guarded by six giant KILLER BEES!"
    noface

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

Freind gave me this game awhile ago, made up a Charr necromancer. doesn't quite fit as well as i would have hoped, but i'm already level twenty so it's too late to turn back now.

Really not a fan of how i need to spend valuble skill points on skills i don't want just to unlock the next teir of skills that require even more skill points though.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #808
    Troll in the Playground

By the time you are level 80, you will have unlocked every last skill.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Freind gave me this game awhile ago, made up a Charr necromancer. doesn't quite fit as well as i would have hoped, but i'm already level twenty so it's too late to turn back now.

Really not a fan of how i need to spend valuble skill points on skills i don't want just to unlock the next teir of skills that require even more skill points though.
    Level 20 is still pretty low. Don't be afraid to switch now (better now than later). If you focus on leveling, it only takes about 60 hours to hit level 80, taking it slowly. I would strongly suggest you change to what you want to actually end up playing.

As for skill points, you'll end up with more than you know what to do with them at level 80 (I'm sitting on 108+).

30. - Top - End - #810

ClericGuy

Huh. Just hit L80 here, and I'm out of skill points altogether. Still have to buy skills for 40 skill points (two elites). How the hell are you guys finding them? :P
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH