Page 35 of 42 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142 LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1237

Thread: Guild Wars 2!

1. - Top - End - #1021
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGuy

Default Re: Guild Wars 2!

Quote Originally Posted by GenericMook View Post
    Also, I don't remember much about playing with Rares as your best gear, but all I remember is that you'll only be able to safely go toe-to-toe with vets with higher-level rares and exotics, without counting your dodging capabilities.
    For the majority of the game, I am able to solo veterans a couple levels above me with dropped weapons/armor (I never buy it and rarely craft it), so white/blue/green armor that is up to 20 levels behind my level. It's not exactly "safe", but it's not too hard either if you have a good grasp of your class and of the game mechanics.

Orr is another story.
    Best homebrew ever (shameless self plug)! The Stoner, always PEACH

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starwulf View Post
    I'd say most of my money has come from killing and daily/map completion rewards. I do as many events as I come across, but I don't actively seek them out. I've already spent well 3 gold just in crafting so far, along with the 3 I just spent on gear. If it really does take me to 50 with no noticeable upgrades, It'll be more then worth it for me, I enjoy being able to stand toe to toe with veterans, and be the person who tanks champion mobs in groups ^^
    Level 35 is when you should start doing dungeons. If you are in a guild, ask if they do AC runs and ask to join along. Make SURE to mention that you haven't done the dungeon before and will need to be helped along. This can also serve as a litmus test for the guild- If they are helpful and responsive, stay. If they act like jerks, ditch them.

AC explore gives about 16 silver per run, not including drops. Dungeons also give you 70% XP towards your next level, you will almost always fully level from a single dungeon run. There's no limit to the number of runs in a day you can do, but the tokens drop off after the first and second runs.

One of the best farming runs in the game is Citadel of Flames, path 1. It takes 10-15 minutes for a group where everyone knows what to do to make it through and you can speed run like that three times before the drop-rate kicks in. Each run is at least 20 silver, plus whatever you might get from the 4 chests and 2 bosses. I've seen guildies make about 4g in 2 runs.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Level 35 is when you should start doing dungeons. If you are in a guild, ask if they do AC runs and ask to join along. Make SURE to mention that you haven't done the dungeon before and will need to be helped along. This can also serve as a litmus test for the guild- If they are helpful and responsive, stay. If they act like jerks, ditch them.

AC explore gives about 16 silver per run, not including drops. Dungeons also give you 70% XP towards your next level, you will almost always fully level from a single dungeon run. There's no limit to the number of runs in a day you can do, but the tokens drop off after the first and second runs.

One of the best farming runs in the game is Citadel of Flames, path 1. It takes 10-15 minutes for a group where everyone knows what to do to make it through and you can speed run like that three times before the drop-rate kicks in. Each run is at least 20 silver, plus whatever you might get from the 4 chests and 2 bosses. I've seen guildies make about 4g in 2 runs.
    Nice! Right now, my main guild is mostly just 6-8 friends that more or less know each other in real life(I've only met the one guy and his buddies once, but they are good friends with my best friend, as they were together in the military), so we don't really do much. Help each other out on small stuff, but none of us are on at the same time in #'s large enough to do dungeons. Other then that, I'm in the GiTP guild that Ogremindes started, but I haven't even popped in to say hi yet, as I seem to be on when no-one else is, LOL. I need to find a guild that has people on from 11 pm-5am EST, as that's when I tend to do the majority of my serious playing. I"ll log on around 7:30 to get dailies out of the way, but then I'm back off again.

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Troll in the Playground

Well, if you are on Sanctum of Rall, I can see if anyone can send you an invite to the guild I'm in. We just require that you join in the WvW when possible.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, if you are on Sanctum of Rall, I can see if anyone can send you an invite to the guild I'm in. We just require that you join in the WvW when possible.
    Ahh, nope, I'm on Sea of Sorrows ^^

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    What weapons are you using, and which one do you usually initiate combat with?
    I usually just use the shortbow. Most of the times I don't have any trouble, it's just the story quests where even if I don't attack at all the enemy will just ignore my bear and try to kill me instead. So I don't know if the weapon I'm using really has anything to do with it.

Though I'm level 19 now and have crafted a level 20 shortbow and longbow so I could switch from shortbow to longbow if I needed to.
    Tarvek needs to die in a fire.

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

Leveling up I did not care much about gear on my first two guys. Not a huge difference, just took the best gear I found as I leveled and did pretty well with that. Once I got 80 I looked more into detail about what stats I want, gear, runes ect

I got my first Acended Ring drop out of a 10-19 fractal daily. Bagh Nakh. No Agony resistance on it yet, but the stats seem good, so I might infuse it. (Infused ring = 1 Shard of Crystallized Mists Essence + 3 Glob of Coagulated Mists Essence + 5 Vial of Condensed Mists Essence + Non infused ring). Making an offensive slot for it seems pretty costly (+5 agony resist, +5 Percision 250Passion Fruit,
    100Vicious Claw, 50Philosopher's Stone, 20Mystic Coin) so might put that off a bit.

Still not sure any of it is worth it. FotM is fun, but unless they plan on introducing more actual fractal levels, its not worth it to grind out agony stuff.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thrawn183 View Post
    I usually just use the shortbow. Most of the times I don't have any trouble, it's just the story quests where even if I don't attack at all the enemy will just ignore my bear and try to kill me instead. So I don't know if the weapon I'm using really has anything to do with it.

Though I'm level 19 now and have crafted a level 20 shortbow and longbow so I could switch from shortbow to longbow if I needed to.
    For shortbow, I suggest initiating with crippling shot (4). It will slow the target down, allowing your pet to get to him before he gets to you. It also makes your pet's next three attacks bleed, which should pull the aggro.

This is probably not what you'll hear from many people, but if you're having trouble I really suggest sword/dagger as your secondary, particularly when in story missions.
    It has a veritable crapload of dodges/evasion/mobility, and it also has a couple of cripples.
    --(1)auto-chain has a cripple on the second strike and a leap on the third
    --(2)chain has an evade on the first strike (8 sec cd) and a leap & a cripple on the second
    --(3) is an evade (15 sec cd)
    --(4) is an evade (10 sec cd)
    --(5) is a cripple
    It takes some time to get used to how this s/d set works, but once you get the hang of it, it's amazingly survivable. Don't be afraid to mix it up in melee if enemies close in on you. Three free evades (all on short cooldowns, plus your dodges) and two cripples on five skills is often better than kiting (or can set up the kiting by getting behind and then crippling so you can get away and switch to your bow).
    Last edited by Shadow; 2013-02-11 at 07:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh Lornas Pass, Oh Lornas Pass, how the thought of completing you fills me with utter dread....40% completed thus far, and I swear it doesn't feel like I've explored much of it at all.

10. - Top - End - #1030

Yeah. Lornar's Pass is kind of a pain. It's not actually hard or anything, but the huge amount of space you have to explore is a major pain.

But the PoI's.

Dear god, the PoI's.

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah. Lornar's Pass is kind of a pain. It's not actually hard or anything, but the huge amount of space you have to explore is a major pain.

But the PoI's.

Dear god, the PoI's.
    Yep, I can already tell I'll likely dream about them at one point or another tonight, it's almost a guarantee.

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Ettin in the Playground

And Lornar's Pass is complete! 2 Masterwork Items, a Black Lion Key, something else, 3700 exp and 2 silver as the reward! Was very happy to see that key pop up, I have so many chests sitting in my bank. Ended up getting another from the first chest I opened, and a 300 guild influence canister from the second.

Now sitting on 22% Map completion total, not bad considering I've only explored the areas surrounding Wayfarers foothills, and 2 near Lions Arch. Also, back up to 2 and a half gold already and only 44. haven't even bothered looking at any new gear yet, probably won't until I'm 50, then I"ll re-upgrade all over-again.

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Troll in the Playground

I'm at 89% on my thief. I just haven't had the energy lately to play.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm at 89% on my thief. I just haven't had the energy lately to play.
    Dayumn! That's pretty nice. I think if I was that close to map completion, I'd force myself to finish it out, energy or not, LOL. On another note, I'm now 45! wootage!

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Troll in the Playground

I've been playing since the 3-day headstart. I just like to go off and make alts.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Troll in the Playground

Oh hey, I totally somehow missed this thread even though I've been playing for like a month!

I play on Kaineng, mostly as my ranger. She's currently on the extremely long hunt-grind for a legendary weapon. The funny part is that, barring the upgrade to Ascended weapon status that's supposed to come sometime later, the legendary I am after (The Dreamer) is a downgrade compared to the weapon I use right now (Ghastly Shortbow of Fire). I lose precision and condition damage, and gain toughness and vitality and a comparatively less useful proc.

Though it's taken what feels like forever, I am almost...approximately 30% done with it. Progress so far:

Spoiler
    Show

I have:
    Gift of Wood
    Unicorn Statue
    Superior Sigil of Purity
    77 Mystic Clovers (everyone in my guild hates me because I only wasted materials for 8 clovers, and got clovers from the 10 clover recipe 7 times in a row)
    250 Ancient Bones
    Gift of Mastery

I need:
    73 Icy Runestones
    250 Globs of Ecto
    220 Vials of Powerful Blood
    196 Powerful Venom Sacs
    217 Elaborate Totems
    219 Crystalline Dust
    235 Vicious Fangs
    196 Armored Scales
    235 Vicious Claws
    ...and unfortunately, The Lover.

The very unfortunate part is that the rest is purely a money grind, and gambling with the Mystic Toilet-i-mean-Forge. I'm running out of ideas of where to farm for money; currently I'm running a few high level JPs (Pig Iron, Vexa's Lab, Ice Ruins, Conundrum Cubed, Skipping Stones, Under New Management and Scavenger's Chasm), doing my daily and spending the laurel on t6 crafting bags, buying Orrian Treasure Boxes with my extra karma, killing dragons (claw, shatterer and tequatl) and running AC/TA/fractals 10, 12 or 14 when I can. It still doesn't feel fast enough, given that any real amount of money I make is from exotic drops off of non-boss mobs (since Magic Find doesn't affect chests at all), which are pretty much...well, extremely rare occurrences. Despite the money grind being quite aggravating sometimes, I do have a lot of fun doing (most) jumping puzzles, especially Scavenger's Chasm.

If anyone wants to friend me, my name in game is VriskaSerket.4029.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2013-02-13 at 04:38 AM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

17. - Top - End - #1037

Nice, nice.

I've been sorta working towards a legendary myself. I need most of the 500 WvW tokens, 50-100 of the T6 mats, another 100 or so obsidian shards and ectos, the damn icy runestones and the stupid precursor.

I kinda stopped because I didn't really feel like grinding my way for the rest of the items.

Seriously aggravating.

Oh well, at least I'll have the hammer when it's complete.

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Ettin in the Playground

Nice, nice.

I've been sorta working towards a legendary myself. I need most of the 500 WvW tokens, 50-100 of the T6 mats, another 100 or so obsidian shards and ectos, the damn icy runestones and the stupid precursor.

I kinda stopped because I didn't really feel like grinding my way for the rest of the items.

Seriously aggravating.

Oh well, at least I'll have the hammer when it's complete.
    That's kinda depressing to find out that in order to get all the parts necessary for any of the best equipment, you need to participate in WvW >< I was kind of hoping for the ability to find/grind for everything in strictly PvE :-(. Not a fan of PvP

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

That's kinda depressing to find out that in order to get all the parts necessary for any of the best equipment, you need to participate in WvW >< I was kind of hoping for the ability to find/grind for everything in strictly PvE :-(. Not a fan of PvP
    The stats on legendaries are the same as Exotic equipment, they just look shiny.

20. - Top - End - #1040

Quote Originally Posted by huttj509 View Post
    The stats on legendaries are the same as Exotic equipment, they just look shiny.
    Very, very shiny.

And the stats will be upgraded when we get Ascended weps, so they'll technically always be the "best" weapons.

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Luckily for me none of the legendary weapons appeal to me, I don't think I could stand the grind, and I'm not much of a dungeon runner either.

Actually, I'm kind of glad none of the dungeon armor or weapons appeal to me either.

Same here. What really sucks is that to reach 100% map completion you have to explore the wvw maps. From what I understand, dungeons don't count, though.
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Orc in the Playground

PirateGuy

I dont see why that is depressing. 100% world completion is 100%. Not 100% of what you like.

Getting baseline great stuff in this game is really simple. Full orange set just takes playing the game. To get the flashy great stuff, which provides such a small boost to your stats, should take fully experiencing all parts of the game. If it was easy it would not be legendary.

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hullabaloo View Post
    I dont see why that is depressing. 100% world completion is 100%. Not 100% of what you like.

Getting baseline great stuff in this game is really simple. Full orange set just takes playing the game. To get the flashy great stuff, which provides such a small boost to your stats, should take fully experiencing all parts of the game. If it was easy it would not be legendary.
    Uhh, it's simple: I hate pvp. so the knowledge that I have to participate in something I freaking hate in order to get 100% completion of the map, or to get the best of the best gear, is therefore depressing.

24. - Top - End - #1044

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Evrine View Post
    Luckily for me none of the legendary weapons appeal to me, I don't think I could stand the grind, and I'm not much of a dungeon runner either.

What really sucks is that to reach 100% map completion you have to explore the wvw maps. From what I understand, dungeons don't count, though.
    That is correct.

It helps that the legendary I like most for my Necro is underwater. The only ground weapon skin that could really fit with necro is the Axe, but I like the Reaver of the Mists better. And an underwater legendary will be pretty unique!
    Last edited by mucco; 2013-02-13 at 04:17 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Troll in the Playground

Uhh, it's simple: I hate pvp. so the knowledge that I have to participate in something I freaking hate in order to get 100% completion of the map, or to get the best of the best gear, is therefore depressing.
    PvP has always been half of Guild Wars though.

Even in GW1, if you wanted to get the coolest looking armor or help your guild, you had to do pvp stuff to get the points.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #1046

ClericGuy

Couple tips for legendary hunters that do not want to pvp.

Learn jumping puzzles, especially the BL ones and do them. It is the fastest way to get the badges.

Pay attention to the color of your server. You can do most of the discovering if you just visit the currently owned places, as your color will change and as such the places you own will change.

Camp flipping is essentially PvE, and supervisors can drop badges. If you can handle one PvP fight every 20-30 minutes, I'd advise you find a 5-man "havoc" group that runs around the map flipping camps.

Buy/craft starter armor and run around in it. This will minimize repair costs, and you won't be naked as being naked puts a huge target on your head. Whenever someone attacks you, just /sit or manifest your non-hostility, especially in JPs, and you might be spared.

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Hullabaloo View Post
    Not everyone enjoys pvp, and when pvp is so strictly separated out in most other ways, why it is tied to map completion and other pve things is beyond me.

pvp isn't for everyone, there's nothing wrong with that.

Even in GW1, if you wanted to get the coolest looking armor or help your guild, you had to do pvp stuff to get the points.
    pvp has also never before been necessary. The coolest looking armor is highly subjective. And as for guilds, correct me if my memory is being fuzzy, but aren't the only thing those points are good for is pvp stuff?
    The first chapter of The Book of Svarog

“Everything has its time and everything dies.” ~ The Doctor (Doctor Who)

“The facts of nature are settled within the field of human argument.” ~ The Golem- What Everyone Should Know about Science by Harry Collins and Trevor Pinch.

28. - Top - End - #1048

Quote Originally Posted by Evrine View Post

Actually, I'm kind of glad none of the dungeon armor or weapons appeal to me either.
    The dungeon tokens really aren't that bad. It takes something like 9 runs to get all the tokens for the legendary; ~24 for a full set of dungeon armor, and 5-7 to get a dungeon weapon. If you stagger it out at 1-2 runs per day (which, excepting Arah, should take 45 minutes, tops), that's like a month of casual play for a full set of exotics, about a week for a weapon, and a week and a half for legendary tokens. And this isn't even including the bags that give you tokens that were introduced recently.

And dungeons are really, really all about knowledge. You've got general rules you got to follow (ress allies, avoid red circles, keep a ranged and melee set, etc.), and some specifics relating to each dungeon in particular. I ran Honor of the Waves for 8 days straight (3 runs per day), and after four days, I could basically run all three paths while reading a book.

You don't even have to do speed runs in AC or CoF. If you're doing a non-Arah (because damnit, Arah takes forever) dungeon, all you need is a half-decent group.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Ettin in the Playground

Can't say I particularly knew that, as I never played GW1. I only grabbed GW2 because my best friend told me about the game and how fun it was, and I've been looking for a new MMO to play. So far, the PvE content is quite fun, and more then enough to keep me playing long after I hit 80, I'm just a bit upset/irritated/depressed/annoyed/etc/etc that if I do eventually want to go for the best stuff, I'll have to participate in things that I honestly don't enjoy. I've not participated in any form of PvP since the original Diablo and starcraft, neither of which I've played in the last 8 years or so. It's just not my thing.

30. - Top - End - #1050

That's not necessarily true. You can get the best set of gear without doing dungeons or PvP at all.

Exotic armor can be bought for 42k karma a piece, for a total of 250k or so karma. Kinda expensive, but not so bad. You can also run dungeons (which really isn't that hard), or just craft/buy 'em from the TP.

Exotic weapons can be either bought/crafted or purchased with dungeon tokens. Not particularly hard if you know the dungeon you want to run, just time consuming.

Ascended Rings can be obtained through Fractals, or by doing dailies and the monthly in approximately 20 days during each month.

Ascended Amulets can be obtained via laurels.

The only thing that actually requires a real deal of effort are the legendaries, and those are completely optional.