New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Seeking Coder for Indie PC Game

Sent in my application code a bit ago, I just want to confirm it was received and all that.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Troll in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hmmm

Are you still looking for a programmer at this point? I often lament not having interesting projects, and didn't see this thread when it was first created. I could probably throw together a decent implementation of Crossing Swords and maybe a quick pygame interface in a day or two. I have pretty minimal experience with UI and graphics, but I'm quite good at laying out (game/business) logic as well as debugging, and I'm rapidly gaining experience with encapsulation and useful design patterns.

There are a fairly large number of rule ambiguities in that sample game, though, which bug me when laying out the rules interactions. The most egregious is the "Halt" action, which has a surprisingly high number of hard-to-resolve interactions, most of which would probably rely on the host's judgement, since they aren't clearly defined. Halt loops, two people halting one person who is halting one of those two, and so forth. I don't think I know enough graph theory for this.

EDIT: Ah, I see... run a recursive check up halters, until you find a halter without dependencies, or until the halter is solely dependent on an already-checked halter. Glad I could find the correct algorithmic solution.

EDIT 2: Submitted quick code prototype; the fun part is making pretty rule transcription and code structure, as usual, but adding a GUI isn't that terrible.
    Last edited by Arbitrarity; 2012-07-29 at 07:58 PM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Sent in my application code a bit ago, I just want to confirm it was received and all that.
    Yup, I got it. We're discussing.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrarity View Post
    Are you still looking for a programmer at this point?
    Yup.
    Last edited by Fax Celestis; 2012-07-29 at 06:32 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Firbolg in the Playground

Are you still looking for a programmer and discussing? Is this going anywhere? Not having heard anything in this thread or having gotten even a rejection is discouraging.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry, things have been hectic as hell for Ess and I: he found out his kid has epilepsy, I have a toddler, my wife just got a new job...

...we're still on this. I'll let you know.