New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Reincarnation Wars - IC *Still Recruiting*

Alright Yuna, let's start with the Gunner dressphere. Keep our distance until they're in range, then we'll unleash our boom magic. I don't know much about demons, but I think it's best to protect ourselves against fire as well as physical damage. If you have time throw in the other defenses as well. I don't want to end up with broken bones this time.
    As the horde grew steadily closer, Tristan raised his arms, expecting two guns to appear any second now.
    Um... I'm terribly sorry, but I don't know what you mean. What's a dressphere?
    His body froze, stunned. How could someone not have their own abilities? It just didn't make sense.
    And then they were on him.
    His gladii sprung from his sword belt an instant before the creatures barreled into him. It was dead before they hit the ground. He turned his fall into a roll, springing to his feet faster than he had fallen, far away from any of his allies.
    New plan! Fire, and lots of it! Hopefully it'll have some effect.
    The green materia in his sword glowed brightly as blazing flame burst from the tip of his sword. That alone was not enough to stop the mass of imps and demons around him. He held his breath as Kitai took over, molding the fire, shaping it into a ring around him. She fed the flames, expanding it into a fiery inferno that spread steadily outward. Those that weren't killed by the flame succumbed to the secondary effects, filling those nearest the conflagration with irrational dread, sending them running.
    Those that made it through met Tristan, swords sharp enough to cut through steel, and though he was too far below the earth to draw on his windcrafting, he could still feed on the strength from the earth, making him a juggernaut amidst the flames. He stood his ground, hacking off limbs, finishing off enemies as efficiently as possible. Each slash took down another demon.
    But that only lasted about twenty seconds. The heat and lack of oxygen weakened Tristan, eventually forcing him to drop to his knees, as well as drop his shield of flame. He sat on the ground as his head swam, catching his breath. He couldn't bring himself to stand as more foes charged him from all sides.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Seeing his ally fall surrounded by the hordes Danny grabbed control, shoving himself and Potter into what amounted to a mental escape pod as a second Necron was duplicated.
    His wand materializing in his hand he cast the Bubble-headed charm around the choking man.

"You know you really shouldn't smoke. It's bad for your health." Danny snarked, rings forming around his waist, separating until a glowing black and white teen stood there, hands glowing with ectoplasmic energy.
    <-- Give the zombie a hug. You know you want too. It's so lonely.

I have quit Giantitp. I may be back but not anytime soon
    Sorry everyone

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

As he stands and fights the Fiends, Alexander finds himself understanding progressively more. Pathways stretch out into time, actions and reactions, forever. He can see them all, and understand their meaning! It would seem as though Intuitive Aptitude is useful for more than merely understanding powers and people. In the moment, Alexander feels nearly omnipotent.

And then Conor rings Belgaer.

Everything shifts, shorting out and fading into nothingness. It takes a near instinctual pewter burn to avoid being hit by the Fiends, as his atium no longer seems to function correctly. He turns it off swiftly, then uses his flight to hover near the top of the cavern. From this height, he can see the whole chamber, but his attention is focused on Rob for the moment.
    Fascinating. He seems to have snuck up behind me earlier. What was he doing back there? Was that it? I have given him ample opportunity to back-trace my true Name. Or at least, what was my true name prior to fully integrating all of Dante's memories and powers. Sensing no effect, Alexander shrugs internally. After a moment, he descends back to the ground behind the other Personae.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-07-25 at 07:48 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

4. - Top - End - #184
    Ogre in the Playground

Damn it. Thought Rob as Idrian jumped away from him, leaving him in a small bubble of angry enemies.
    Relax. We'll be fine. They can't get through the shield.
    Fine. Can you throw up a strike rotating at head height up to, say five feet away?
    ...No. For some reason I can't.
    We have lost some control of the thought processes. There is some disruption in the air in this area.
    My shield is still up. How?
    Your shield is an existing modification to reality. It is not affected. I am working on a subroutine to keep this disruption out of the shield's area. It will take a few minutes.
    Rob sighed to himself, and began walking back towards the others. He spotted Alexander standing with them. I'm starting to dislike him. We should have tried for some of his blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3SecondCultist View Post
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Spoiler: Things I Once Was But No Longer Entirely Am
    Show

Previous Usernames: DreamingMage, Zeno Desaqqara
    Credit to araveugnitsuga.
    Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

Jaime freezes for a moment, surprised as Necron jumps up to him. He opens his mouth about to say something, but Revan takes control before he can. "Jarez? Is that you, old friend? How have you fared since the end of the Mandalorian Wars? And how did you get your powers back after Malachor?"
    What are you doing Revan?
    Talking to a very old friend. You can have your mouth back once I'm done with it. Jaimes hand lifts again in preparation to lose another blast of lightning at the monsters, but all that is conjured is sparks. "It would appear that I was right about not being able to use the force for a while. Haven't made that mistake since I was a padawan, though Alek was fond of it." Jaimes left hand moves of it own accord and draws his lightsaber from his belt, thumbing it on to reveal a meter long purple blade. ""Feels good to finally have this in hand again, even if this isn't my body."

(OOC: I don't think that Revan has been given a canon name yet, but that bears looking into.)
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2012-07-25 at 09:12 PM.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

6. - Top - End - #186

Zombie

"It's a long story, full of thrilling combats and a gang of weirdos who all hated each other.
    So exactly like any of my other missions.
    I spent a few years travelling, doing the whole Exile thing before being knocked out and stuffed inside an empty mining colony. Kriea the backstabbing Sith crafted a Force Bond with me to open my powers up again and after killing the Jedi masters she tried to make me destroy the Force itself. Still, she failed, I killed her and all was well.
    Oh, Canderous pulled together the mandalorians, he found the old Mandalor helmet. Your old killer robot was in my hold so I repaired him for you too."

dodging a little imp Javez skewers him and turns back to Revan
    "It's good to see you without your helmet, I told you it would get you in trouble one day. Remember those Jedi Converters you had? One of em called Anton thought you were a girl, a hot girl."

Sorry everyone

7. - Top - End - #187
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Conor and Alex, for a moment, stare at the fiends. The fiends stare back. The rest of the party clumps down the stairs, hitting the bottom before noticing and pausing along with those already there. There was a pause, during which only the gurgles of slime demons keeping their shape could be heard. And then both sides, as if one, charged.

And then there was chaos. Lightning raged from Jacob and Jaime, white and purple tearing through the hordes of weak foes. Meanwhile, Erik started wading through enemies, with such strength in his staff arm as to tear some enemies entirely apart, while belching his own lightning from the other hand. Alexander extends his mind into the future, seeing easily where the imps and axe-wielders will attack him from, allowing him to block and strike with near-impunity. Necron also slashes with swords made of light, with only time for a few kills before recognizing the lightning of an old friend. William takes the time to make another of himself out of stone, before he too goes into close-combat. Even Tristan fights with a sword, after sheathing the area in fear-inducing flame. Only Conor and Rob hesitate, protected by Jacob, who may not be able to shoot beams of lightning into the crowd of fighting friends, but is threatening enough to protect his allies from the brunt of the demons.

This would seem extremely effective, and at first, it was. But sheer numbers can be a powerful factor, and these demons had fought in numbers for their entire lives. They were good at it. Lemures and Manes slipped up the fighters' feet, while Dretches tore at hair and eyes, and Khazra goat-men whipped axes towards them, so that they had to block more than they could attack. The strife is heightened by a huge blaze that roils though the area, started by Tristan, causing fear and panic to sweep through the demon ranks. But even though the fiends could take fire all day, Personae were less able to take the heat. Between burning and smoke, they were driven deeper into the depth of the battle, fighting on all sides. They were having a bit of trouble, as Tristan's flame stopped and he dropped to the ground wheezing, being saved by Necron's spell.

Alexander noticed something wrong first, when his visions of the future (now looking like a giant mass of spaghetti from all the action around him) stopped appearing, in distorted ways. A few seconds later, the rest of the room heard a clear, loud, BongBoooongBoboooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnggggg

Conor had decided at last to move, ringing Belgaer in a near perfect triangle. But the bell wiggled during the last stroke and rang twice during the last ring. Devils began to drop to the floor, drooling, uncaring of where they fell. Their hearts beat fast and their lungs take in huge gulps of air, blood filled with adrenaline. But it is useless. They are worse than dead, their souls trapped inside their bodies, minds shut down by the voice of the Thinker.

Psychic powers stop, passive mind-protection effects began to project weird distortions, and inside everyone's mind, the ringing starts louder, hedging out the voices of their Personae. for a few seconds, it is unbearable, as it just gets louder and louder and louder...

Until it stops.

The party looks around, many of them with hands to their ears, to discover that between the bell and their fighting, fully over half of the fiends are gone, blasted, sliced, slashed, or brains fried away.

The Personae recover first, hefting weapons and charging before the devils can regroup to recover their numerical advantage.
    Last edited by Conor77; 2012-07-25 at 10:34 PM.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

8. - Top - End - #188

"Come on lads! Jobs only Half Done!"
    Surprisingly, it was Alric that called to continue the battle first, his voice intermingling with Erik's.
    It would be easiest, in the minds of those personae, for the warriors to fight, and the others to aid.
    Deadpool had centuries of combat expertise.
    Alric had centuries of combat expertise.
    John has decades of combat expertise, and training most relevant to Erik's heightened abilities.
    In the hands of these three, the staff was not just and artefact of immense power.
    It was THE artefact of immense power, anything that came close enough would quickly be subject to a surprising array of attacks from the staff, as well as unusual melle attacks, a punch here, a trip here, bludgeoning like a club there, slashing using the force field of the staff to cut here....
    And weirdest was, Deadpool's unpredictability meant that demons expecting a devastating offensive would find themselves just warded off with a defensive swipe, and another beside them annihilated.
    Meanwhile, Eldrad gazed into the future, picking out every action she could, to provide defence, and enhancing a devastating offense.
    And Aleandrea sat watching, just providing a warning set of eyes. Here, in the thick of it, her suggestions were amateur, and she knew no magic that could help, considering that the small device at her side would provide faster teleportation than she could. Despite not leaving an after image.
    Last edited by Erik Vale; 2012-07-25 at 10:54 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Jacob/Zeus
    With the onslaught of the demons effectively neutered, Jacob decided to move away from the duo of fighting friends, and instead of resuming a blast of lightning bolts at the enemy, he soared horizontally through flight in order to cleave the enemies in two or less with massive sword strokes with the blade of Olympus. Occasionally an enemy could lash out at him or strike with their blades, but of course with Ganon's toughness he was heavily resistant to physical harm. The slashing, thrusting and swinging of the Sword of Olympus would continue unless something more threatening could get in his way than whatever he was facing.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Orc in the Playground

Kate recovered from the bell's effects, ceased staring at nothing, growled a curse, and cast a very satisfying "MAZIO!" over the horde. Lightning seemed to be a group theme at this point. And then, she realized: it was very hot, stuffy, and so on in here, largely due to lack of air-flow. She could fix that...."Yu?"

He sighed. "Go for it. We'll be fine."

She pointed at the horde and commanded "Magaru!" And a great wind ripped through their ranks, while the backblast refreshed the Personae.

That done, she gripped her sword, reloaded the Beretta, and jumped into the middle of the downed fiends, Invisible Air shredding their ranks.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Pretty sure Air: Wind King skills mostly manipulate local air, obviously, but higher level MegaTen wind skills seem like they'd be perfectly capable of summoning new air. Given teh other shenanigans you get up to, anyways. Should make for fun combos later.

Also yes, she was talking to Yu out loud there. Talking to myself is a habit I have only imperfectly broken, and I'm assuming some disorientation here.
    Last edited by AkaiNeko; 2012-07-26 at 12:27 AM.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

Either Neo Tokyo-3, or an underground jail.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Alexander shakes his head, clearing away the ringing that remained. Thankfully, he had avoided the worst of the damnable bell.
    I must admit, it is a useful tool to wield. He managed to kill most of the demons, albeit at the price of mental stability. Alexander sheathes his sword: there would be no more need for it now. Standing behind Jacob and the other charging Personae, he only smiles as he feels the breeze approach him. It felt nice, cleansing. The worst of it hits the enemy, thinning their ranks even further. He pauses for a moment, in thought.
    Perhaps I could offer an alternative means of ending the combat. I would hate to get any more Fiendish blood on my coat, after all. Once again, he claps his hands: alchemy. He transmutes another ring into brass shavings before downing them as quickly as possible. The brass reserve appears after a moment. Rashek was an exceptionally powerful Allomancer, thanks to his ingestion of Larasium. His expertise would come in handy here. Almost unconsciously, Alexander floats above the other Personae, so that every being in the chamber can see him. Then, using sonic manipulation, Alexander magnifies his voice so that it echoes throughout the cavern.
    "You have already lost. Look around you: see the corpses of your allies. You have already lost. Further struggle is futile. You have already lost. There will be no stopping us. You have already lost..." As he speaks, Alexander sends out massive Soothing waves, stripping them all of the will to fight on, along with whatever forms of courage they might possess. Moreover, he finds himself telepathically compelling them to lay down arms, to surrender. The Personae would be affected, but he has faith in their mental fortitude. They were no longer his concern: stopping the demon horde, on the other hand, was.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

12. - Top - End - #192

Well... at least I didn't break any bones...
    Yeah, passing out in front of a rampaging army of demons is much better.
    Hey, I didn't pass out! I just... couldn't move or think clearly...

He stood as an imp leaped towards him. He pointed a closed fist towards it and released the energy stored in one of his rings. It might as well have been a stuffed animal, the way it flew across the room and smacked into a pillar. It burst into a not-so-cuddly splash of goo.
    My head still isn't entirely clear. We may have gone overboard with the fire.
    We were caught off guard. We will have to have a discussion later regarding the High Summoner's abilities, if she cannot do what you believe her to be capable of.
    My apologies. I am as confused as you are.

A sudden breeze filled the room. As the smoke cleared, he saw Kate dash into their enemies scything them down.
    Let's try to not blow her up this time. She could probably take it, but let's not risk it.
    If she's going in on the ground, I say we take to the air. Now that the room is filled with summoned wind, I should be able to achieve flight.
    I feel like I've waited so long to hear you say that.

He kicked an oncoming demon in the chest, his earthcrafted strength collapsing its ribcage. With that same strength he jumped, throwing in some flips, twists, and turns just because he could. At the apex of his leap, the wind gathered beneath him, holding him aloft.
    Someone seems to have a flair for the theatrical.
    Quiet, you. This is such a strange feeling. It's like I'm swimming without any of the uncomfortable wetness. I could get used to it.
    I hope you're used to it now, because we're going in. I will manage the flight, if someone else feels like handling swordplay.
    Get me my spear, and I'll take care of all of 'em!

Tristan drew a thin metal cylinder from a loop inside his duster and gave it a flick. A moment later he was holding a full-sized spear, not particularly high quality, but he would take care of that. He pinched his fingers together as he ran them along the blade, sharpening the metal. He sealed the gaps in the shaft as well, leftovers from its construction.
    He gripped the spear, twirled it a few times as he got used to its weight and balance. Then he dove into the fray, jabbing, slashing, and skewering his foes, trying to stay out of Kate's way. If the swarm of enemies got too great, he would simple rise into the air and find a less concentrated bunch.
    He was aware of Alex's voice ringing in his ears, and felt a compulsion to set aside his spear and submit. Instead, violet flame burst from his hands, ran up the haft to the blade, and sheathed it in fire. He added to it a strong but subtle firecrafting to inspire courage, with range enough to affect Tristan and perhaps those it was slicing through. The compulsion subsided as he bent into another dive.
    Last edited by mkfuba07; 2012-07-26 at 12:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #193

Jaime falls to his knees as Alexander's compulsion washes over him, but quickly recovers. As he staggers to his feet, he stabs straight out with his lightsaber, whipping it around in an arc to protect himself. He regains his footing and dances back a bit from the group he was attacking. "That does sound like most of the other missions you've been on. I'm glad to know that Canderous became Mandalore, though I had no idea that Atton was still alive, but that definitely sounds like him. I thought that the Republic would've hunted him down for what he did in my service." Jaime shoulders his assault rifle as another group bears down on him, whipping esperacchius out of its scabbard and slashing at a startled imps throat. He slices through and parries a few more attacks, managing to get killing blows on most of their wielders before turning back to Necron. "I can't really say that I'm too sad about the councils death. Most of 'em were *****. Shame about Kreia though, she was a good jedi before she fell."
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

A strange figure steps out of the temple:

"Time to get this party started!" Igniting his saber at the entrance of the Temple, The tall warrior disappeared and reappeared in the midst of the horde.

Make sure you give these demon bastards hell!
    Joshua quickly cringes at the sound of Dante giving him battle advice, most of his Incarnations kept silent, except for Dante and Taskmaster, Who genuinely pissed the righteous hell out of Riddick and Bane, who found the chatter annoying.
    Would you kindly shut up, You stupid inbred demon-mutt.The inner voice of Riddick growled the insult.

Now Now boys, How about we let our sla-, I mean our "Host" Do his job.
    So the philosophical mind-rapist decided to speak up eh? Well let me tell you something, You ain't got jack on someone who is INSANE!!!!! A shrieking laughter followed as the Taskmaster made his thoughts known.
    Last edited by Lonewolfe208; 2012-07-27 at 11:50 AM.
    Narian Wolfe

Narian speaks in Deep sky blue

15. - Top - End - #195
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sam walks though the broken entranceway, gazing at the rubble. Her expression is one of plain surprise. The Lady had ordered them here, but she wasn't expecting the devastation that greeted her.
    What happened here?
    A battle, obviously. By Mandalore, it's almost too painful to listen to you. The voice was characteristically dry: Fett. Sam shakes her head internally at the bounty hunter. Her stride takes her into the atrium, to the fountain. She passes through the remains of the celestial sanctuary.
    It's so sad, to see such a being shackled to an eternal duty. I wish we could do something to help. This one, full of compassion: Fey. Sam only smiles at the young girl's spirit. She was glad to have Fey along for the ride. The murals proved to be interesting, leading Sam ever downwards. Soon, she began to pick up the sounds: clashing of metal, the crackling roar of lightning, and a man's droning voice, emanating from beneath the earth. As she descended, the clamor began to increase. Sam felt a twitch of sorrow, her emotions clouded by a compulsion of despair.
    It seems to be a magical effect of some sort. Please, allow me. Charles Xavier's mental blocks immediately halted the effects in their tracks. Of the lot, he was proving the most helpful. Sam thought back briefly to several days ago, when the crowd had filed into her mind. Charles had been the first, but the rest had followed merely minutes afterward. There was Victor, the technopathic artificial human. Fett, the infamous bounty hunter. Fey, the beautiful fae enchantress. And finally, Elspeth had appeared, planeswalker and former Knight-Errant of Bant. Since then, she had not had a private moment to herself. She loved it.

The opening snaps Sam back to the present. Through the doorway, she can see the remains of yet another catastrophic battle. Blood and ichor spattered the walls, the bodies of a small Fiendish army strewn on the ground. What interested Sam, for the time being, were the others. She could see several men standing near her. There were even more figures in the melee (at one point she picks out Kate from the crowd). Another throws lightning. Her attention is also drawn to the man floating above them, proclaiming defeat for the remainder of their enemies.
    So this is where the party is. It might be best for me to hang back for this, let the others finish what they started.
    Last edited by TheAntiplanar; 2012-07-26 at 10:23 PM.

Winner of the MtG card design contest 'Winner is the Judge', Week 5!

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ogre in the Playground

Dampening systems online. I've added an adaption mechanism to the framework: we should be able to counter out any sonic effect within a quarter-millisecond of its initiation by causing a destructive wave pattern within the shield. reports Yuki.
    Good. Now that we won't have to worry about that noise in the future, let's get to work. There's plenty of enemies left, who wants a go?
    Eva laughed, pulling a gothic-styled control-set unlike any Rob had ever seen from the air in front of her. I haven't had a good chance to let loose in a while...

Rob turns towards what is left of the army of fiends. He leaps into the air, soaring beneath a cloak of darkness until he reaches a point just above Alexander. Perfect for the desired dramatic effect. He flings his arms out in front of him, incanting in a voice that is not his: "Lic Lac Lilac! Centum Sagitas Magicas Glacias!" One hundred arrows of sharp, freezing ice the size of basketballs fly forwards from his outstretched hands, each seeking out a target among the horde.
    Last edited by Sen isSaqqara; 2012-07-27 at 12:06 AM.
    Yeah, DreamingMage honestly thinks he is a god. Over the years, I've found it best just to go with it.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

As Rob flies towards him, Alexander finds himself bracing for an attack. It does not come, however, and the mage passes right by. He simply chuckles softly.
    It would appear as though he holds a grudge. How petulant. I suppose it doesn't matter, though. Getting into yet another contest would be dull. Best to just let him be. Dropping back down to the floor, Alexander notes the presence of several other Personae. The first seemed to have jumped right into the combat, without asking any questions. Did he even know why he fought? The second held back, however. She didn't seem to be wearing any armor or carry any weapons. He cannot help but find this all strange. There seemed to be new Personae every other minute. How 'rare' was this phenomenon, anyhow? With the battle all but over (the Fiends really seemed to dislike being stabbed by dozens of floating ice weapons), he approaches the second Persona.
    "Good day. I am Alexander. I am another Persona, the term coined by the Lady for gestalt entities such as ourselves. May I inquire as to how you came here?"
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-07-27 at 07:52 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Dwarf in the Playground

Who in the -
    Don't worry about it, pup. Sometimes it's best to just tag along for the ride.
    Well isn't that interesting.
    Victor's voice had joined the chorus.
    This 'Alexander' is the source of several electro-magnetic disturbances. At a guess, I would say his powers involve some sort of magnetism or telekinesis.
    I've tried to breach mental barriers, to no effect. Whoever he is, he wields potent psychic power as well. We should be wary here.
    The block seems to prevent my Empathy powers from working either. I can't get a read on his emotions.
    Enough! I don't understand why this man, or any of the others gathered here, would turn against us. As far as I can tell, our mandate is saving existence. So we've all got a pretty common goal.
    Sam's frustration with her Incarnations remains below the surface, but in order to quell them, she smiles at Conor and Alexander.
    "Hello. It's a... pleasure to meet you. I'm Sam, and along for the ride are the spirits of Boba Fett, Professor Charles Xavier, Fey, Victor Mancha and Elspeth Tirel. The Lady of Pain asked me to come here, but I can see that you all started without me. Are you guys having fun?"
    Last edited by TheAntiplanar; 2012-07-27 at 09:30 PM.

Winner of the MtG card design contest 'Winner is the Judge', Week 5!

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

The Bloody Chamber:

The demon horde has dwindled to a mere fraction of its former number. The majority of the lesser Fiends were killed in the early battle, or utterly crushed by Belgaer as it was rung by Conor. It is indeed a bloody chamber, the reflection from torchlight and enhanced senses casting a black and crimson pall on the proceedings

Jacob finds himself in the easternmost section of the room, looking right towards the original entrance and left to the exit. All around him are the dismembered corpses of demons: the Sword of Olympus has more than lived up to its name. Kate is closest to him, a similar gathering of eldritch cadavers decorating the stone. Joshua and Tristan, on the other hand, find themselves closest to the far exit at the southern end of the room.

Meanwhile, a large portion of the remaining demons were quelled by Alexander's Soothing, retreating to the south as well , threatening to cut off the pair still fighting there. Many demons were also outright slaughtered by Rob's ice spell (being a demon comes with certain weaknesses, like the cold).

However, the enemy remains. Near the center of the room are a cadre of larger, red skinned demons. Several of them sport aprons, soiled in ichor and bloody fluids. All of them carry blades, cleavers for the most part. There seem to be just under twenty, after a cursory inspection. Hate and hunger dance in their beady eyes. One of them calls out, something about 'fresh meat'. They have rallied a final group of demons, which begin to move gradually southward, pinning Joshua and Tristan between the unknown and what remains of the horde.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2012-07-27 at 09:58 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Jacob Again
    The white robed figure possessed lightning charging from his eyes as he threw his lightning bolts at the enemy Butchers, massive, bloated things with huge weapons who were stitched together with the parts of other demons. Jacob continued to fire lightning bolts one after the other, attempting to annihilate the small horde of demonic monsters. If the demons would gradually move to close to their targets, Jacob would soar towards the monsters with his ability to fly as quickly as he could, cleaving the enemy in two or less with his mighty Blade of Olympus. None of Jacob's allies would die in this place if he had anything to say about it.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Rob steped down to the ground, walking over to meet Sam.
    Alright, who wants to cover introductions?
    How about me? I promise not to scare the new kid. Please?
    Fine.

As he strode forwards, a smile on his face, his appearance changed once again. His form returned to normal, white-blond hair rising from his head in spikes and curls as his slate-blue eyes stared out from under it. His clothes changed to suit it: a light-blue shirt with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows and a pair of khaki pants running down to sturdy, light hiking boots.
    "Only when we don't have to put up with this guy playing the part of the Herald of Darkness." He gestures to Alexander. "He does have the tendency to get a bit dramatic at times. In any case, I am Rob, at your service." he bows slightly. "And you are?"

We're ready for anything she can throw at us, right guys?
    Most likely, yes. We can deal with anything mental, sonic, or physical.
    Last edited by Sen isSaqqara; 2012-07-27 at 10:25 PM.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Orc in the Playground

Kate stood amidst the corpses of the recently slain demons, watching their blue auras dissipate, panting slightly.

"Um, we've got two new allies, I think. And two others are about to get pinned down, over that way."

"Strange that we didn't fight any of those larger demons till just now...."

"This may have been their plan - wait till we're tired and separated, relatively speaking, and pick as many off as possible with their heavier hitters. That said, it's likely that this bunch was totally unaware of our capabilities, and was simply caught flat-footed. Or they place less value on their troops than an ant colony, and are willing to fight by attrition. Or this was simply a test, establishing a baseline for future encounters. Don't forget that this place, and our enemies, are old and very powerful; underestimating the threat posed could well be fatal."

'Soooo....I'm going after those demons. Don't need to be losing any allies, at least till we've figured out which ones are bad guys. I'll introduce myself later.' With that, she reformed Invisible Air and leapt for the Butchers, intending to scatter them with Strike Air and fall on them with sword and gun.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

23. - Top - End - #203

Zombie

Danny flew around the butchers, moving at Mach1 (speed of sound) in a circle, throwing glowing green energy bolts with deadly accuracy.
    "Is this all they've got? The Box Ghost is more of a challenge than these fools."

The red saber moves in time with Revan's, coordinated as only a Force-Wielder can.
    "So what about you? I heard about your 'death' then reappearance but not much else."

Sorry everyone

24. - Top - End - #204

Three more times he dove from the air, stabbing with his violet spear, and four more demons fell to the ground. Only then did he spot the Butchers approaching, cleavers raised in apparent rage, though it could have just been hunger.
    Butchers? I hated you back in Diablo, and I'm not sure I'm going to like you at all now.
    You have defeated these creatures before?
    Well yes... technically. Back in Diablo I only reached the Butcher once and defeated him.
    He must have been a mighty foe.
    Actually, I think he was the first boss... That game was hard...
    You know that there are a bit more than one of them coming for us now, right?
    Well that was a video game. And before I didn't have the souls of four powerful warriors to work with. We have at least a six times greater chance of victory.
    You know there are more than six of them, right?
    Well I'd like to think that the other personae won't just sit there and watch us die. We just have to hold out, But I refuse to be saved again, so we're going to pull our weight.
    Damn straight!

He took a few more quick swipes at some of the foremost lesser demons, then retreated to the open entryway nearby. He landed somewhat harshly, feeling the shock in his knees.
    This is where we make our stand. Kitai help me get some fortifications up. I don't know if they're trying to defeat us or just get through us to escape, but we're not letting it happen.
    Alerans are so stubborn. Though I will do as you suggest.
    Harry, let's try to stay away from fire. It may work on the butchers, but I'd rather not nearly pass out again. Stick with earth, force, and wind. Throw in some ice if you can.

With that, he knelt to the ground, concentrating on the earth beneath his feet, and the water far below them. He began breathing heavily as stone began to rise, spears of rock protruding from the ground in a 10 foot radius semicircle around him. most were at around waist height, with some taller ones thrown in for the Butchers. They might break them apart if they had the strength, but it would at least slow them down.
    Water began to bubble from the ground, and Tristan started panting in exertion. Some began to morph into liquid spikes, while yet more coated the ground in a ring around his prickly shield.
    "Infriga," Tristan muttered through clenched teeth. The water solidified, crystalline traps surrounded him sparkling brightly as light from lightning and lightsabers hit them. As an afterthought, he began spreading webbing between the earthen spears, hoping that they would serve to slow down enemies even more. He also created a shallow pool in the ground below him, filling it with water that could be used for healing or offense.
    And he settled in for what had become a siege.

Edit: I accidentally a word.
    Last edited by mkfuba07; 2012-07-28 at 05:43 AM.

25. - Top - End - #205

"Note to self, chakra and magic do not mix well..." Morcleon*sighed. He was now buried under several tons of stone and rubble, with no clearly visible way out. It was tight enough that it was impossible to reach the portable timeslip in his jacket, and his hands were separate, making it impossible to form hand seals.

"Well, this is a fine mess we're in. Anyone have any ideas on a way out?"

Silence reigned in his mind for a significant time before Sasuke rose his voice hopefully.

"We could try to force Susanoo out. Its power, even in the incomplete form, should be enough to break through."

"Wonderful. Let's try it."

His eyes squinted open, and a channel of chakra came to his mangekyo sharingan. Forcing his eyes open, Morcleon gave a cry of power, and for this effort, a hazy violet skeleton began to coalesce around *him.

On the surface, all was still. The breeze rose up and blew a swirl of gritty dust over the stones. And then, a chakra-infused skeletal arm ripped from the center of the destruction. Another soon followed, and then a head and ribcage. And in the center, Morcleon stood, panting and bloody, but sporting a wide grin.

"Susanoo: activated."

His smile faded a little when he saw no one around. The pit fiends were dead, and the rest of the Personae had already gone on ahead. He shut down the skeleton armor and crossed his arms.

"Great. They probably all think I'm dead. Hey, John Taylor, you think you could punch a timeslip connection to where the rest of the Personae are?"

"Of course. The Lady may have prohibited travel to and from Sigil, but the roads within Sigil should still be open."

Morcleon reached into his coat and pulled out a finely made gold pocket watch. Snapping it open, he focused on his companions. A second passed. The face of the clock darkened and expanded, covering him in one fell swoop.

He found himself in darkness, floating. No gravity, no light. A path opened in front of him, and he walked forth on it, seeing the frozen view of a bloodstained chamber, demons, and the rest of the Personae. But on his sixth step along this road, he was forced violently into his mindscape.

A bright flash of light, and Morcleon was dropped unceremoniously onto the bridge of an Imperial Star Destroyer. He looked around, and chuckled. Typical, this was his mindscape. Behind him stood his four reincarnations: Uchiha Sasuke, John Taylor, Thrawn, and Karan Sjet. And in front of him, was a tall, beautiful woman with electric blue hair.

"Welcome to my mind. Now would you please tell me who the hell you are?"

The lady before him sniffed disdainfully, and raised an eyebrow. "I am Superior Saturday, formerly the ruler of the Upper House. Cast into Nothing by that infernal Piper, this was a second chance granted to me. To aid the travels and trepidations of my most recent reincarnation."

A grin slowly formed on Morcleon's face. He stepped forth, hand outstretched. "Welcome to the team. It's nice to have some more firepower around here. We're going up against a higher dimension entity, so we'll need all the help we can get."

"You seem... acceptable, for a future self of mine." She took the proffered hand, and a golden nimbus of light surrounded the two figures. Morcleon breathed in deeply, feeling the sorcerous power of the House flow through him. Saturday continues. "They said that you should receive my complete sorcery and the physical benefits of being a Denizen within a day or so. The Sixth Key will be waiting for you back in this... timeslip of yours."

"Wonderful," Morcleon nodded. "Now let's go make our dramatic entrance."

A brief burst of concentration was all that was needed to dispel his mindscape and return to the physical world. His hand snapped up, capturing a long quill pen, made from a shiny green peacock feather.

The imperious voice of Saturday sounded in his head, resonating with the familiarity of command. "This is the Sixth Key. I can see you know of its abilities well. Follow my instructions, and I shall teach you your first spell."

Morcleon nodded, and walked toward the exit of the timeslip, still showing the frozen image of a battle nearly complete. His hand, with the pen of the Sixth Key still in his grasp, began writing. Magic flowed forth as glowing green script, and former words that pained mortal eyes. The text grew ever more complex, until it resembled a wall of crawling letters.

Armed with this spell near completion, Morcleon stepped out of the portable timeslip, arriving on the ceiling of the bloodstained chamber. He looked up (down), and grinned. Nearly a score of demons were arrayed below, a perfect test subject for his newfound power.

"Tell me, Saturday. What exactly does this spell do?"

"This one is a basic destruction spell. It uses a thin stream of focused Nothing wrapped in sorcerous energy to burrow through and destroy your targets. Often suddenly and violently and all over the place. We call it, somewhat ironically, stealthblade."

With a flourish and an exclamation point, Morcleon finished the spell. Speaking a single Word that seemed to hang on the air, he pointed up (down) at the remnants of the demon horde. The stealthblade uncurled into a single line of crackling green, and shot toward its targets with an ominous rustle.
    Avatar of Furude Setsuna, by Telasi.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mephit View Post
    Don't worry, I like my characters the way I like my coffee: Strong, but with no cheese in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Akagi
    Don't hesitate to tell the people you care about the feelings you have for them, because they may not be there tomorrow.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Conor, at Alexander's soothing voice, drops his shoulders and tension, becoming calm, and lethargic. As he relaxes, his fingers open just enough to allow Belgaer to slip through, and tumble towards the floor.
    NO!

In slow motion, as Lirael snapped him out of his daze, Conor saw Belgaer falling. It turned in the air, as he moved through what felt like syrup to get to it. He dropped his feet out from under him, reached his hand forward, but even if he caught it, what's to keep it from ringing?

He didn't have time to think about that. He didn't have time to think about anything much.

And then, in what seemed to the outside world to be a pretty cool and well-thought out move, he did the splits and snatched the bell by the clapper. It shook in his trembling hand, trying to ring, but unable in a grasp of desperation. Conor's heart was beating like a machine-gun, and he had been holding his breath while it happened. He slowly exhaled. He then, carefully, put the bell back into its bandolier. He got up, and looked around. Some kind of demon with cleavers was attacking now. Huh. Why wouldn't they wait until they had a clear advantage, instead of right in the middle of a fight with lightning, which seems to be the weakness of demons?

He moves over to start contributing to the battle, when he steps on demon slime, which squishes onto his technically bare foot.
    "'Ullghhhh, that's disgusting."

And then he looks down at it, and sees it doing something odd...
    Last edited by Conor77; 2012-07-28 at 10:43 AM.
    "Pause you who read this, and think for a moment of the long chain of iron or gold, of thorns or flowers, that would never have bound you, but for the formation of the first link on one memorable day" --Charles Dickens

27. - Top - End - #207
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Lightning, ghost blasts, lightsabers, frost magic, sword slashes, even a few bullets. The rest of the horde couldn't really do anything against the focused might of over 30 powerful minds housed in 8-9 powerful souls. The thick hide of the red-skinned butchers couldn't keep the Personae out. Their only tactic seemed to be laughing as they died, to unnerve their opponents. But none of that mattered, because they were cut down swiftly. Everyone stands over their bodies, which seem to reek of rotten meat near the butchers, and shakes hands. They are interrupted by Conor, who hops around and over to them with some of the slime demon bodies stuck to his other foot.

"Ah, it won't... I... GET IT OFF!", He shouts as he dances around, flailing.

With a wild kick, he hurled the goo off his foot, into a corner. The others laughed or frowned, as their dispositions indicated.

"That thing was alive!", he says.

"Maybe we didn't destroy all of them entirely" offers Zeus!Jacob, holding the ridiculously oversized Sword of Olympus on his shoulder.

"Yeah... or maybe...", starts Conor, as he looks across the shadowy interior of the room, counting bodies. "...they're coming back!" He prepares a Lightning plasmid in his shoulders, focusing the electricity into his metal palms, while crouching into a combat position and aiming his arms towards the darkness. Out of which come 3 canisters of some sort, which tumble across the floor, bumping over bodies and landing spread out over the area. A red, low hanging vapor gas begins to issue from them with a hiss.

12 butchers, cleavers out, move into the gas, inhaling deeply while fanning out to defend what looks like the fiends that had just been killed shambling over bodies and using tools to reassemble their broken bodies and mesh together the goo. Everything that the gas touches uses every means it has to get back up, assisted by the tool-bearers. As the gas (with a sickly sweet odor that smells slightly like bad oranges) rolls towards the Personae, they raise their weapons against the hands at their feet that even now begin to clutch at them...

28. - Top - End - #208

Aleandrea smiled inside Erik's mind.
    'Looks like it's my turn.'

Suddenly, weaving invocations and power, Aleandrea summons a large orb of powerful and compressed acid.
    Then throws it amongst the restoring demons.
    In an instant, a weak concussive burst went out from the orb, and powerful acid drenched the recombining creatures.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh for... This is just getting silly. Thought Rob. He reached a hand out to Sam, extending Bowman's shield to encompass her as well.
    "I'm afraid it seems introductions will have to wait. Care to come with me and bring an end to this, or would you prefer to remain here?" Then he thought the better of it. "Actually, never mind. My advice to you is to stay here, keep near our depressing floating friend over there. Don't touch him, though, and don't trust him."

With this, he retracts his shield and begins to stride forward. The slick layer of blood and guts on the floor recedes as the barrier pushes up against it ahead of him. Calmly unconcerned, he walks towards the ranks of demons resurrecting themselves ahead of him. There is, after all, little they could hope to do to him. Reaching the center of the room, he pauses to consider the situation.
    Alright, let's not be stupid about this. There's no need to fight these mooks. We're going downwards, right? Yuki, could you put together a rough map of these chambers from local data?
    Yes. It will take time, however.
    Fine. Urza, weren't you working on an agent to help her run more tasks at once? Take advantage of the brain's multithreading ability and whatnot?
    Just about done, really. I don't have a model to use to represent it in here, but I can deal with that later. Let's try it out. Entering a command on his slate, Urza stepped back to consider his work as a new being flickered into place beside Yuki. It looked like her in every respect. He entered the line again, and a second replica fizzled into appearance.
    I figure we can get away with about five before we start slowing down. We only need these two for now, though.
    Perfect. Elodin, why don't you work with the first to see if you can come up with a name for Idrian?
    Sounds good.
    And Urza, why don't you work with this one to get a mapping tool working.
    I think I found just the one for the job already. There really are plenty of useful tools on this 'net' of yours...
    Good. While you're working, we'll just keep blasting away. Between Yuki and Bowman, we're pretty much immune to anything they can throw at us.
    Gladly. This is fun! I really need to let loose like this more often.

Standing in a bubble of calm among the chaos of the fight outside, Rob raises his hands again. The incantation tumbles from his lips once more, ringing through the room in Eva's voice. Fifty spear-like ice-chunks shoot out to each side, impaling more of the monsters gathering around. From beneath the shade of hair lowered over his face, a slight grin slips out.
    Show

Credit to DarkCorax.
    Credit to me.
    Credit to me.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Orc in the Playground

Kate looked on in frustrated horror as the Butchers began reassembling the fallen demons, while stomping and stabbing those around her. She tried to think, and called to the other Personae: "OK, here's my thought. Someone who can use fire, try to burn that crap, we should be tough enough to take it if it goes up. That doesn't work, someone with science-y/analyze-y powers figure out what direct contact with said crap will do to us. It's safe, we take out those big guys, and go from there; it's not, we use wind to control it's flow till one of you can contain it. Thoughts?"

'Incidentally, Canaan, I'm not making much headway here. Can you interpret this any better? What's with this gas? Safe? Flammable? What?'

"Give me a moment...."

"For what it's worth, due to the duel nature of science and magecraft, we should, theoretically, be fully resistant to any ill effects the gas could have. I'd rather not risk it till other options are exhausted, of course."

"And I'd rather we not be the ones casting the proposed solutions. We're starting to run low; we need to give it a bit, recharge some so we don't run dry in the clutch."

Kate readjusted her grip, and noticed Rob wading into hell. She called "HEY! Do something flame-y! Or at least go for the damned leaders!"