New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Vecna's Chosen IC [3.5 Undead Gestalt]

To the Thrianne, the quasit whispers "If I may make a suggestion. They have only one guard. Send YOUR guard to take care of him quickly and quietly. I can assist if need be..."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Barbarian in the Playground

"Sound advice, little imp." Thianne turns to the female guard she turned. "How about you call your old friend over, or give them a 'friendly' pat on the shoulder for us?"
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2013-01-04 at 12:58 AM.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

"You require Set's aid?"

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

the wight does as she is told, crossing the path and hailing the guard. A brief exchange of pleasantries is made, and as the human lets its guard down, the undead creature lets out her rage, slamming into her former ally.

Another minion is added to the growing horde, but not before a shout escapes the dying man's lips.

A tense moment of silence fills the air, then a bullseye lantern shines down from the palisade, illuminating the scene as the slain guard is reanimated.

An alarm begins to be raised.
    Thanks Gigi Digi for the avatar.

5. - Top - End - #305

Spoiler
    Show
    IT BEGINS

"Not...good..." Thianne says through gritted teeth and a wince, though she is slightly amused with her pet.

Spoiler
    Show
    Wow. I, uhh, have some possible courses of action in OoC, but I'm totally open to suggestion from you, Trojan!
    Last edited by SCARY WIZARD; 2013-01-05 at 03:14 PM.
    "I don't want problems solved for me. I want the fishing rod, not the fish." -Yanni

6. - Top - End - #306

After her "oh [REDACTED]" moment, Thianne pulls herself together. She turns to the other guard wight that she created. "Why don't you, uhh, help your friend out. Braids and [CHARNAME] and I are...going to...head back now. Best of luck!"

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Braids commands her spawn, the other guard, to obey Thianne's wishes, and the three remaining wights, along with Set's Quasit, quit the scene.

As the four villains flee into the early morning, the sounds of screams, shouts, and fighting can be heard, along with a ringing bell. The guards' response time is fast; they have clearly been well-trained for this. Still, Thianne is pleased to feel her mind expand as motes begin to be added to her ever-growing consciousness.

It takes another ten minutes to return to Set and Quietus at the place they have been lying low. By this time, Thianne has felt her 'army' grow, shrink, and go wild. The Shadow and she grow closer than ever, and new insights into the workings of the world fuel her mind.

Spoiler
    Show
    Thianne, gain a +1 Inherit Bonus to your Intelligence.

Has Set been idle, or has he been up to anything in the nearly half hour h e has been alone with the Nightmare?

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

Kneeling over, Set is seemingly examining a map. He looks at it carefully, tracing a path with his finger before making a mark else where. Without looking up, he greets the returning undead.
    "I imagine you were sneaking on the way back, but you could have hurried some. We're slightly behind schedule now."
    Standing up, he hurriedly folds the map back together.
    "The quasit tells me the guards have quite the wight situation to deal with. Good job. I would have liked to question one, but beggars can't be choosers."
    Tilting the coffin back into place on the chariot, he turns back to her once more as he ties the box down. "I'm going to ride low to the ground, and go at the temple. When you're close enough, can you teleport through the shadows over the wall with the coffin? If you can do that, you can release all your minions with complete surprise. I'll swoop in and get Gary as soon as I can. From there, we storm the temple. Sound good?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Shortly before Thrianne returns, Set is casting Spell immunity on himself. He gets two spells to be immune to that's level 4 or lower. One will be Searing Light. The other, Hammer of righteousness. The effects are shared with quietus for the time being.

Afterwards, He casts protection from negative energy on quietus and then persists the spell Bleakness (From PHB II) on himself.
    Last edited by CowMasterTrojan; 2013-01-19 at 03:06 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309

"A sound plan. It's a little harder to manipulate shadows than it is to cast a spell, but...let's see what can't be done."

Spoiler
    Show
    Doesn't she have to rest at least fifteen minutes? Toggling between Labyrinth Lord, 2nd Edition, and v3.5 rules is never good!

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Set thinks back to his days as a priest of Pelor...

Sol Leon is both the name of the city you are in, the capitol of Mourne, and the large bureau-theocratic complex at the city's heart. This complex is where your targets will undoubtedly be. It is surrounded by a thick stone wall that is patrolled day and night. There are four entrances that each correspond to the cardinal directions. East and West are the Gates of the Sun, and are closed but for special occasions and pilgrimages (that follow Pelor's Sun's journey through the sky). As such, North and South Gates are the two open gates.

The North Gate is also the main Templar Barracks. The Templar are the elite soldiers of the church, and are responsible for immediate response (like to your attack on the farming settlements) but also solely responsible for guarding Sol Leon. Routine guards are minor paladins and clerics, but there will be more powerful soldiers going about their duties throughout the complex.

The South Gate is the primary ingress and egress from Sol Leon, and is a wide road not unlike The Arch of Constantine that is very ornamental and decorated. The Gates of Sol Leon have never been attacked, and as far as you know, the South Gate has never been closed (though a metal portcullis does exist).

Inside the Gates, Sol Leon is divided into two large buildings connected by an enclosed walkway "the Path of Temperance." The eastern building is tall, and contains the Theocratic Senate, or governing body of Mourne. These bureaucrats run the infrastructure, can be elected (but are all lifetime incumbents in practice) and write law. They live in the city, but work here. The three leaders of the Senate are called Rex, and run three political parties. The three Rex are your primary targets, as their deaths will throw the government into chaos as minor nobles begin to scrabble for power. The main diplomat and liaison between Mourne and Dominaria is named Shel Heroi. He is a statuesque example of his people and culture, with a powerful jaw, tanned skin, and jet black hair.

The eastern building is the cathedral, main church of Pelor, and secondary objective. Archbishop Crane is the leader of the church, and he commands the Templar. His death is your secondary objective. The cathedral is a huge church for public worship, two upper floors for priestly quarters and the like (where the Archbishop resides), a library wing, and an enormous catacomb below with crypts. The Kurobon is alleged to be in the crypts, but you have only the ancient librarian's word on that.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Cursing himself, Set realizes a major flaw in his plan that somehow didn't occur to him. The Rex would never go to the temple with all this chaos. He turns to his quasit and begins barking orders. First he gives it directions on where to go, then he gives it instructions. "Once you reach the barracks of the north gate, investigate whether the Templar's are there. Stay invisible. If a paladin detects you, flee as fast as you can."
    The quasit acknowledges it's orders and flies off for it's recon mission, invisible.

Turning back to Thrianne, Set says "Get in the chariot and try to keep that coffin from falling over. We have to find more guards and turn them into wights. They would know where the Rex live. We have to hurry."

Cursing himself, he mounts Quietus and rides off (not in the air) looking for a guard (or anyone) that isn't in the barracks.
    Last edited by CowMasterTrojan; 2013-01-12 at 06:06 PM.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Wasn't your plan to attack the temple during Mass? The Theocratic Senate are all penitent men, the Rex especially so. I had thought that was why you didn't sneak in at night, but waited until sunrise -- to catch people during their morning rituals while everyone is at Sol Leon.

If you want to find a guard to corrupt and interrogate, you can, perhaps I misunderstood your intent.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It was indeed my plan to attack during mass. A Cleric is weakest, in theory, in the middle of their prayer. But the misunderstanding was that I was thinking the Rex wouldn't be in the temple area at dawn. If Set would logically expect them to be there, we will continue on with the attack.

The quasit is still being sent on recon regarding the Templars however.

14. - Top - End - #314

Spoiler
    Show
    So, is the plan now to walk into the temple and start dropping the scary? I'm all for making cannon fodder by shadow-carpetting as many guards as possible...that would go hand-in-hand with Set's suggestion, and carrying on the attack.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Provided Set believes the primary target would be there, yeah. Riding in on a flaming horse and open up a can of hell fury. Sounds like a plan.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Busy, busy day. I caught up on some of my stuff, but not all of it :/ I should have a nice post up tomorrow evening <3

17. - Top - End - #317

Spoiler
    Show
    No worries, I was busy moving. :D!

18. - Top - End - #318
    Troll in the Playground

The group makes their way to the inner wall of Sol Leon. From the southwest, they can see the large southern gate, with a small group of half a dozen guards standing there. Apparently, word of the wight attack has spread, and the gate guards look tense.

There don't appear to be any guards up on the wall here -- perhaps they were concentrated on the ground because wights cannot normally fly.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Don't forget, the quasit is going to scout the Templar Barracks

Only six? No one on the wall. This is either very bad mistake on their part because no one has attacked the temple before, or a trap. Let us hope it is the former.
    "Alright Thrianne, it's showtime. Just like we discussed."
    Taking his Lance off the holder on Quietus, he readies it in his arm. It had been a while since he had used it. He always loved impaling his enemies. Sensing his taste for blood, Quietus once more grew excited. The two circled for a moment, then turned towards the gate and charged. As he sped towards the six, he hoped Thrianne would take the coffin past the guards and unleash hell.

Lance Attack (1d20+14)[31]
    Damage (2d8+14)[4][4](22)

Quietus Hoove attack on a separate guard (1d20+14)[29]
    Damage (1d8+7)[10] plus (1d4)[3] fire damage

20. - Top - End - #320

Thianne follows her order as best as possible, later releasing as many of her shambling friends as she can hope to while Set and Quietus barrel into the hapless guards.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Is that before or after you dimension door behind them?

22. - Top - End - #322
    Troll in the Playground

Set's lance strikes true, stabbing deep into the sturdy warrior's flesh. It draws a bright streak of crimson blood, and the man gasps in pain. Quietus brings his hoof down upon another Templar, stomping him on the head, but he is less effected than his ally. He smokes reflexively, blasting fully half of the Templar with his blinding exhalation.

Now that an enemy is in their midst, the highly trained humans use their polearms -- the traditional weapon of Mourne -- and attack the dark paladin.

Thianne uses the opening to travel through the Shadow with her fel payload, delivering the coffin into the temple grounds, and allowing the evil creatures in it to emerge. Three more Templar notice the wight and move to intercept her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Set bloodies a templar. Quietus hits, but does not bloody.
    Thianne ports in and sets the coffin up, the minions get out of it.
    That concludes the surprise round.

INITIATIVE:
    Set (1d20)[3]
    Thianne (1d20+4)[11]
    Wights go with Thianne
    Quietus goes with Set
    Gary goes with Set
    Set's Templar (1d20-1)[6] All go at once
    Thianne's Templar (1d20)[7] All go at once

23. - Top - End - #323
    Troll in the Playground

INITIATIVE:
    Thianne et al <---- ACTIVE
    Thianne's Templar
    Set's Templar
    Set et al

Fort save vs Quietus smoke
    1 Success, 2 Fail
    (The 2 failures get -2 to attack and damage, and all have concealment issues)

24. - Top - End - #324

Spoiler
    Show
    Ponies. <3

"At them, children! Death to the living!"

Thianne foregoes her usual tactic of "shadows first" and lunges at the Templar, attempting some sort of a bodyslam. She directs her wights to do much the same.

Tactics
    Spoiler
    Show
    Move first, Slam the Templar next!
    Slam Attack: (1d20+11)[19]
    Slam Damage: (1d6+4)[7] (1d6)[2] (COLD)

...other wights can also Slam.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Are you going to attack the Templar on the steps or the ones near Set?
    Each square is 5 feet, what movement are you using to get to who you're getting to?

26. - Top - End - #326

Spoiler
    Show
    I derped hard, wasn't looking at the map properly. Thought Bleakborn was the Templar. :3 ... D:

SO. If I were to choose a mode of movement, that would have to be a charge. Although I'd like to retcon this, if possible, and move half of Thianne's normal movement range and chuck a 3d6 fireball from the necklace of fireballs into the center of the guards -- roll pending your approval.
    As for the other wights...I'd like to send at least one to help Set out. Not Braids, Braids is cool.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Thianne unleashes an impressive fireball that engulfs all six Templar near Set. Though not the most dextrous soldiers, half of them are able to call upon their training and avoid the worst of the blast, while one is incinerated. Two survive, but are badly wounded by it.

At her command, the wights begin to move on the Templar, but aren't fleet enough to engage them yet. Braids stays back at Thianne's discretion.

From the steps, the three seasoned Templar step forward in unison and unleash divine magic on themselves, the blessings of Pelor falling upon them in an impressive aegis.

Spoiler
    Show
    The three guys up top are "thianne's templar" the six below are "set's templar"

One Set's templar is dead, one is bloodied (the one that got hoofed), three saved

It is Set et al's turn

28. - Top - End - #328
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Religion to guess these guards status and rank. (1d20+10)[16]
    Spellcraft to identify what the templars near Thrianne just cast (1d20+15)[23]

Cursing, Set watched as Thrianne sent her wights to help him. She obviously was trying to protect him, a touching thought in theory. But those three Templars were going to tear her apart if she was unprotected. That lousy shadow was there, but wouldn't help her unless he commanded it. At this distance, that wasn't a possibility. Well if she stays there, at least Gary will help her. I doubt three of them are strong enough to take Gary! And I've got a few surprises myself.

Deciding quickly, he decides the face that he has hid this entire journey will finally be revealed. I may have been undead for 60 years, but every week I cast gentle repose on myself. Always I kept a hood to protect my face from the sun. I cleaned it often. And why did I do that? For this exact moment! Let the Templars look upon my face as it was when I left. Let them recognize their destroyer. Whipping his head back, Set allows his hood to fall. A blond haired blue eyed normal human face greets his enemies, wrinkles of time being the only indication of his decades undead. It was a moment he had dreamed of for 60 years.

"Half a century ago, there was a powerful priest here. His name was Set, servant of Pelor. Then mysteriously he disappeared. I offer to you that remain two things. One: Knowledge that I am THAT Set, now a Paladin to Vecna. Stronger than ever. Two: You have no chance against me. I have not come to take your lives, but I will not hesitate. I still have honor, and will grant mercy to any who request it. I suggest you do so before I'm angered."

With that, he murmurs a quick prayer of blessing over his lance and begins his attack.
    Spoiler
    Show

Swift action-Magic Weapon on his Lance
    Full attack on the Templar to his left.
    Attack (1d20+16)[31]
    Damage (1d8+8)[13]
    Attack 2 (1d20+11)[25]
    Damage (1d8+8)[11]

(1d6)[5] Negative energy damage from Set's bleakness aura to all within 20ft.

Quietus will 5ft step forward
    Bite (Bloodied one) (1d20+9)[15]
    Damage (1d8+4)[12]

Two hooves on adjacent non-bloodied enemy.
    Attack (1d20+14)[24]
    Damage (1d8+7)[14] plus (1d4)[3] Fire damage
    Attack (1d20+14)[18]
    Damage (1d8+7)[10] plus (1d4)[1] Fire damage

The Shadow Charges the enemies NE of Set because they appear the most hurt. Being cowardly, it will attack either the incinerated templar if he's bleeding to death, one of the templars bleeding to death, or a whichever one seems more hurt. (In that order).
    Touch attack (1d20+3)[9]
    Strength Damage (1d6)[1]

Gary does not act until something living moves within 30ft of him. When it does, he will immediately stand up. His heat-draining aura will activate, dealing (2d6)[6][6](12) cold damage (DC 16, save for half). He will then move towards said living creature at a speed of 30 ft.
    Last edited by CowMasterTrojan; 2013-01-26 at 12:35 AM.

29. - Top - End - #329

Thianne shoots the Templars coming at at her a smug look when she sees what her firebead did, and utilizes the gestures necessary to cause the black fire to spring up, arranging it around herself and her allies closest to the coffin. There's space enough for the other horrors to maneuver around it, for sure.

Tactical
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black fire, set up in a way that it makes a shield two tiles thick. Fifteen feet away from Thianne's front. Reg'lar old, not Empowered, I've got some plans for that feat.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Troll in the Playground

Thianne
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tell me if that's how you wanted the fire. What's it do when someone moves into it, again?

Set's display takes all five Templar by surprise. They are completely unprepared for the ferocity of his attack so quickly after the revelation that all of his and Quietus' attacks hit their marks. After the carnage, one more Templar lies dead, while two others are suffering grievous wounds. Set can tell that these are footsoldiers, and not ranking Templar at all. The three in the distance (rapidly closing now) are more seasoned Templar, with obvious divine power.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The three Templar each cast different spells. One cast Mass Aid, one cast Prayer, and the last was Light of Venya. The first two also cast Light of Wisdom as Swift Actions.

The remaining Templar soldiers all rally somewhat and bring their weapons to bear against the Fallen Paladin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Your character sheet lists your AC as 18. Is this your current AC? With Quietus' smoke accounted for (that's all I see that modifies the Templar's attacks, you have 23 vs AC, 18 vs AC 12 vs AC and 9 vs AC. That's two hits and two misses by my count, but let me know if its different.

The first hit does 21 damage, the second hit does 11.

Thianne throws down her dark flame. And smirks.

The three seasoned templar continue to move forward, drawing Gary the Bleakborn's icy wrath. His aura does little to daunt them, and his charge is just barely deflected by the warrior priest. The glowing Templar unleashes his harsh pearly aura of light on Thianne. It turns into two distinct lances of radiance that shoot with such alacrity towards the wight that she cannot dodge them. The other two both brandish their holy symbols and call upon Pelor the Sun god to destroy the undead attacking their city. Two wights are turned to dust by the power of the Sun Domain.

Spoiler
    Show

Okay, big turn here. Thianne takes two rays (18 and 22 vs Touch AC). The first does 15 damage, the second does 20. The other two both Turn Undead, and each one destroys a wight. I forgot to include that in the map, but two of the wights are dead.

Last edited by NotScaryBats; 2013-01-27 at 03:15 AM.