New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: IC Toes in the Water

Th two young woman walked down the crowded streets, streets crowded with humans as they had to pass into the city proper to find a semi reputable magic shop. Ten minutes of walking and the two women found Boran's Spell Compendium located in a small shop just off of the main bazaar.

The shop was filled with a modest amount of spells, mainly scrolls which could be purchased for spell acquisition. Rows upon rows of scrolls separated by spell, and type of spell, we're stacked up the walls.

A short fat man with a ragged beard and thick potbelly was talking to a prospective customer in a boastful voice, "These are just my basic spells, first and second circles respectively... all hand scribed, I guarantee no mistakes...my private stock is a bit more potent...I've been known to dabble in the fourth circle of magic. If you require access to that stock, I'm sure we can reach an agreement.

He barely glances at the two young women as they enter his shop.

Spoiler
    Show

The spell level someone is capable of casting is also known as a circle of magic. Only the most powerful of mages can access the eight and ninth circles. Most mages in the world can't pass the third circle until advancing in years due to their average intelligences. People passing the 6th circle are extremely fearsome and rare.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Colossus in the Playground

Natalia eagerly runs into the shop, motioning for Mithril to come along. She had helped the rogue learn how to cast from a scroll, and while Natalia was far from adept she was much more confident than just a few weeks before. Easily identifying (with a bit of pride at this feat) the more basic scrolls, Natalia eventually selects two: a scroll of Color Spray, a spell which Shiny had used to great effect, and a scroll of Shocking Grasp, for lightning had always fascinated her.

"Two kinds of bolts," Natalia says to Mithril with a smile.

3. - Top - End - #63

Natalia eagerly runs into the shop, motioning for Mithril to come along. She had helped the rogue learn how to cast from a scroll, and while Natalia was far from adept she was much more confident than just a few weeks before. Easily identifying (with a bit of pride at this feat) the more basic scrolls, Natalia eventually selects two: a scroll of Color Spray, a spell which Shiny had used to great effect, and a scroll of Shocking Grasp, for lightning had always fascinated her.

"Two kinds of bolts," Natalia says to Mithril with a smile.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt stares after them, retrieving his pouch of bullets from the children as he does. "Take care of Shiny? What do they expect me to do - reason with you?" Said with a laugh rather than any malice, though, he's more relaxed around the strange halfling after their time fighting.

"What do you think, Shiny, should I put you in a sack, maybe?"

5. - Top - End - #65

Wanting to save the rest of her gold on new armor and possibly a better weapon, Natalia takes the two scrolls she has decided upon and goes to pay, eager to make her purchases so she can see what and how Mithril will select her spells.

When purchasing the spells, she asks, "Shocking Grasp...Color Spray?" to confirm her selection.

6. - Top - End - #66

Wanting to save the rest of her gold on new armor and possibly a better weapon, Natalia takes the two scrolls she has decided upon and goes to pay, eager to make her purchases so she can see what and how Mithril will select her spells.

When purchasing the spells, she asks, "Shocking Grasp...Color Spray?" to confirm her selection.

7. - Top - End - #67

Mithril looked over the spells carefully, she had to choice well. During her fights she had realized that hurting someone directly made her feel ill, but she could not trust the mind warping that Shiny did. Noticing some summoning spells her eyes brightened. "Whiskers wake up. I need you to help me chose some spells." She flipped through the scrolls, reading each description carefully, pausing to separate the spell from the rest when Whiskers nipped her neck. Anyone near her could hear a running dialogue, apparently with herself.

"Burning Hands? Really? Well I guess it does go well with Shield if they get close. You just chose that one to see monkeys, didn't you. Oh that is useful, saves me money on horses too. Why that only rich people have servants, why should I need one. That is a nice one, I could finally read the dwarven texts of stone magic. Okay I think that is enough choice for you, I am not going to learn that spell. Natalia, do you have a spell you think I should take? I heard you talking about one earlier. The best part, thought Mithril, is that she can tell me without biting me. The beauties of speech.

Spoiler
    Show
    Realized I should put what she is speaking about: In order all 6 of the ones she has chosen are Burning Hands, Shield, Summon Monster I, Mount, Unseen Servant, Comprehend Languages
    Last edited by Athedia; 2012-07-04 at 11:26 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68

Natalia just leans against the wall of the store and watches Mithril's conversation with Whiskers with a smile; it may seem strange to others but something about it seems impossibly cute to the rogue. When Mithril calls her name, Natalia straightens up suddenly; her excellent sense of balance prevents her from falling over.

"Oh! Uh," she holds up the two scrolls she purchased, Shocking Grasp and Color Spray, "Volts for me, and this one if Shiny runs out..." she trails off as she sees another scroll on the table behind Mithril. Curious, Natalia picks it up and spends a few minutes puzzling over the spell. Her face splits into a grin as she finally deciphers it and hands it to Mithril. "Slip and slide!" she says happily.

(It's Grease.)

9. - Top - End - #69

"Slip and Slide? I see, nice idea Natalia. As long as I am careful with it." Mithril smiled, and gathered up the scrolls. "Lets see, Burning Hands, Shield, Summon Monster I, Mount, Unseen Servant, Comprehend Languages, and Grease. These should be fun.

As she purchased them she looked around in wonder, there were more spells here then she had ever seen before.

10. - Top - End - #70

"Kid in a candy shop," says Natalia, obviously sharing in Mithril's delight.

11. - Top - End - #71

Valen

Having little coin left in his possession and a full day before his ship was to depart, Valen decided to pass his time perusing the shops. Walking he saw Boran's Spell Compendium, a small magic shop... That would do. He alwaysed liked how uncomfortable he made Wizards. He couldn't blame them, a large muscled man wearing nothing but traveling leathers, a polished greatsword, sturdy bow, and pair of daggers walking into a magic shop was bound to cause an amusing rise out of the proprietor.

As Valen walked into the door he noticed an aging rotund man with a presence filled with all too much self importance, two young women, one an obvious practitioner the other.... Was something entirely different and filled with blissful wonderment. The proprietor looked mightily uncomfortable as the half naked man, looking every part the the barbaric warrior, walked through the door. Valen looked the savage, but his eyes and presence gave him away for he was more, a noble savage.

Valen, framed in the doorway and surveyed everything around him, before stepping through, simply for its dramatic effect. A small smirk entering his face.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-07-05 at 11:01 AM.

12. - Top - End - #72

Mithril did not notice the man coming into the store, she was to busy flipping through her new spells. Natalia's statement had been correct, and Mithril knew she could stay here all day if there had been time.

Her head bent over her spells, eyes reading the script and head spinning with possible uses she started to walk toward where she remembered the door being. Distracted she ran into something. Looking down she saw the feet, looking the stranger in the face she noticed his smirk. "Who are you? And why block the door? People walk through there."

13. - Top - End - #73

Hearing Mithril's voice, Natalia turns to see a veritable wall of muscle blocking the entrance to the shop, and staring down at Mithril. Quickly stepping next to her friend, worried if this man is quick to anger and remembering from Kurt just what that blade could do to her, Natalia swallows before looking up at the giant half-naked warrior, noticing the look in his eyes and says, "...Why? ...Here for a reason?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-07-05 at 11:22 AM.

14. - Top - End - #74

Valen

Looking down at the two young women...

One tall and thin, atractive in her on right with her nose in her scrolls... One was even smaller with an odd form of speech, almost slow, but her piercing analytical eyes meant that she wasn't and he would be wise to treat her with respect

With a big smile, "Little ones, my name Valen, and I mean no disrespect.

With a word in Draconic, his eyes flash a subtle gold as he looks at the pile of scrolls in Mithril's hands, "Shield, a valuable spell... Young Wizardess.

In a polite fashion with a very slight bow Valen moves to the side to let the woman pass.

Spoiler
    Show
    Valen cast Read Magic, all of his spells, what few he knows are spoken in Draconic.
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-07-05 at 12:09 PM.

15. - Top - End - #75

Mithril's eyes widen in shock, she grabbed Natalia's arm and tried to speak without the man hearing her. "Did you here that? He spoke, you know...Dragonspeak. How does he know that?"

This strange man, Valen he said his name was, did not look like a wizard. It would be obvious Mithril realized that he could identify her as one. Who else would be so distracted in here. But Draconic? Natalia was the first non-magic user she had met to speak it, but she had had a teacher who spoke it, and she seemed to have a grasp of the idea of magic. But this muscly giant of a man?

16. - Top - End - #76

"Smarter than you look," says Natalia with folded arms. "Your teacher?" She motions to Mithril--this man is certainly interesting.

17. - Top - End - #77

Valen

Making direct eye contact, "I've learned that you cannot make such judgements rashly. As to my teacher, I shall not utter his name here, lest he be made aware, for he would give you nightmares little one." as he speaks he maintains the eye contact, a sudden cold truth to his words.

Surveying them both a little more closely, noting their provisions and manner of dress, "And what are two young does doing in suchan inhospitable place?"
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-07-05 at 12:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78

If a man like this was afraid of his mentor, she'd rather not meet him. Ever. Motioning to her torn armor but not wanting to say too much, Natalia says, "Supply run...And you?"

This man, Valen, didn't seem as bad as she first feared. Nevertheless, she wants to stick close to Mithril.

19. - Top - End - #79

Valen

The young woman had an aura about her, one that invoked the gentleness of dealing with a child, but hinted at a much greater intellect.

"Adventures can be dangerous little one..." she had an innocence about her that reminded him of his childhood.

With a smile Valen murmurs again in Draconic as he touches the piece of torn clothing.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mending...she's just too innocent to not invoke niceness out of him

20. - Top - End - #80

Mithril noticed Natalia's unease and positioned herself so she could protect her if needed. "Your mentor, why are you afraid of him. And if he is so dangerous, why have him teach you?" Mithril twitched as she felt Whiskers bit her neck, projecting feelings of nervousness into her mind. Even a weasel didn't want to ask those questions.

21. - Top - End - #81

"Thanks," Natalia says in Draconic, though she still intends to get new armor. Maybe she could just have this one upgraded instead...

"...Not taught by choice?" she replies to Mithril. Valen certainly seemed like a wanderer, and maybe he ran away. It's hard for her to think about; Torin and Karik were wonderful teachers, even if they had a poor idea of boundaries.

22. - Top - End - #82

Sensing the tall girls wariness Valen attempts to diffuse her agitation with a smile, "All I'll say is that it was an opportunity for an education that I just couldn't refuse."

23. - Top - End - #83

Mithril raised an eyebrow, but decided to leave the conversation at that. "I think we got what we needed here. We should leave this city before they decide females are slaves too. I saw an elf selling crossbows outside the gate. She said this in part because she wanted to finish shopping, but she also wanted to gauge Valen's reaction to her statement. That would tell her more about whether he was trustworthy than all the sentences in the world.

24. - Top - End - #84

With a hearty laugh, "Lucky for you Lass, savages like myself pay little heed to the laws of bigots. And I doubt the two of you would take kindly to being enslaved."

25. - Top - End - #85

Natalia's grin is nearly smirk-like. "...I like him. And no, wouldn't." It was good to see that not everyone around here was a blind bigoted jerk.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-07-05 at 08:01 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86

Still, even a wandering barbarian mage had to have a goal at some point. Wanderlust only went so far; even their group was going to find to find some heroic task once they restocked. It was probably too much to ask, but she couldn't resist. So Natalia asks, "Wanderlust, or a goal?"

27. - Top - End - #87

Mithril started to leave, she still had things to buy and didn't want to spend anymore time in the city. "Catch up with me when you are done, the merchant is just outside the gates you can't miss him." With that Mithril left the store in and made her way to the elf she had seen earlier.

"Hello, I was wondering if you had any crossbows a person like me could use? Also what would be good for a sneaky type. One of my friends saved my life and I want to get her a thank you present."

28. - Top - End - #88

Nodding a farewell to Valen as she says, "...Good luck," Natalia makes her final purchases and leaves the store. Her armor jacket was in good shape now thanks to him; hopefully her other friends had made their purchases outside the gates of the city. The place would be nice, if not far all the racism and general sketchiness. And the general stink. So actually it wasn't very nice at all.

At the gates to the city, Natalia sees Mithril, silhouetted against the sun, her shadow cast long against the walls. She slows down as her friend is talking to the elven merchant, hoping not to interrupt her.

29. - Top - End - #89

Valen

Another broad smile crossing his face, " You are an inquisitive thing little one, I go where my feet take me, and some times I enjoy when they walk into trouble."

Guiding her out the door with his large sting hands, "Tell me a story little one, and I'll escort you back to your friend."

30. - Top - End - #90

Red the half elven crossbow merchant

"Welcome, welcome, welcome, I have something for everyone, some of the finest halite if you have the coin, others more than adequate for protection on the long dark roads.". He gesures to rows of crossbows including some small hand ones. Some were of fine workmanship, others serviceable, others yet grossly misused, one evn had what looked like cakd blood on it.