New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: IC Toes in the Water

When they all go outside, Natalia asks the nearest person who looks like they might know the answer where the docks are, including the ship they need to take.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Natalia, wait for a little. Or do you think I will be able to memorize spells on a crowded boat." Mithril pulled her spellbook out of her pack and sat down in a quiet corner to meditate.

Spoiler
    Show
    Level 0: Detect Magic, Message, Mage Hand, Detect Magic
    Level 1: Alarm, Mage Armor, Magic Missile

3. - Top - End - #243

"O-okay." Natalia sits down next to her friend. After a moment, she reaches over and hugs Mithril. "Thank you," she says happily into her shoulder.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-07-12 at 12:52 PM.

4. - Top - End - #244

"What for? I do this every day." Mithril was confused as to what Natalia was talking about. She had noticed the crossbow had been taken, but surely it couldn't be linked to her.

5. - Top - End - #245

"The crossbow," Natalia says. "Talked to the merchant, knew just what fits me...T-thank you." If Mithril looks up, she would see that Natalia is blushing.

6. - Top - End - #246

Valen

"Lass, we have little if we are all to catch the ship, you'll have time then, it's a long voyage."

The limitation of learnedspellcasters is preparation, it's inflexible by nature...

7. - Top - End - #247

Mithril put away her spellbook and headed toward the door."Fine, as long people don't bother me." Turning to Natalia she said "I didn't want you to owe me."

8. - Top - End - #248

Natalia blinks. "...You aren't...Sorry," she says, hanging her head.

9. - Top - End - #249

"I should have figured you would know it was me, don't be sorry." Mithril smiled at Natalia "Now I think you said we have a ship to catch."

10. - Top - End - #250

"I'll keep things quiet, for your magic," Natalia promises as the group runs off to catch the ship.

11. - Top - End - #251

The group sets out on the short jaunt towards the harbor, the gruff man can be seen out ahead limping along. A few moments later the young man, Henry, can be seen hustling behind in the clumsy disordered fashion of the young and inexperienced. People are beginning to sprawl ontot he streets as the day is beginning, more and more light cresting the horizon.

As you approach the harbor you have no need for directions as the gruff man limps up to and onto a small schooner, the Lazy Dolphin. It's an old vessel, most of its paint faded away. Including all of your companions Linwood's salvation totals 11 strong. There is the gruff man whose name can be heard in passing as a deck hand tells him his horse has been secured for a sea voyage, Mortin. The young man Henry is standing near three others, rough looking men, trying not to appear too nervous.

Spoiler
    Show
    Anyone who cares will notice the absence of Borris the Braggart and his ilk.

Spoiler
    Show
    Also, we are officially exiting the Prologue as the ship sets sail!
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-07-12 at 04:32 PM.

12. - Top - End - #252

"...Luck," Natalia says to Henry. At least he's appeared to take some of their advice and found allies. Then again, their group must look as inexperienced to this Mortin fellow as Henry does to them. As for other people...

"Won the story contest," Natalia whispers to Shiny, who is probably smirking at the absence of his competitor--though he barely deserved the name.

When they get on the ship, she sits by Mithril and double-checks her two crossbows as her friend prepares her spells for the day. The wind blows her hair around and she can feel the boat gently rocking as they set sail.

13. - Top - End - #253

Valen

Valen takes his meager amount of possessions, a characteristic Valen always prized himself for, and finds a spot on the small vessel. He figures it will be a couple of day trip across the Moonsea, and another day or two before they can reach the town of Linwood.

He takes this time to study his new companions...

14. - Top - End - #254

When Natalia finishes checking her weapons, she spreads out on the floor and begins sketching rough diagrams of traps, ways to upgrade her crossbow, and concept sketches of a gauntlet or wristguard that could conceal a small weapon or wand, releasing it for easy access. She also begins mapping out possible ways to defend the town--best to bring the fight to them than march off into enemy territory--but for that, she needs to know Linwood itself better. Natalia doesn't know how much time they'll have to plan once they get there; best to get possible defense ideas jotted down now; and she's definitely open to working with the others.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

Kurt nods unhappily as he sits on the boat, looking anywhere except the water. His hands are loosely wrapped around the haft of his axe, the reassuring strength of the wood giving him comfort as he feels the boat move slightly on the almost still water.

"As long as it stays like this..."" Talking to himself, mostly.

16. - Top - End - #256

Natalia looks up at Kurt, who is obviously ill at ease in the water. "Need to sit?" she asks.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

"Ah...no. No, I'd prefer to stand for as long as I can, Natalia. I've just...never seen so much water. It's...well, I've never lost sight of land before. No earth beneath my feet."

18. - Top - End - #258

Ah, that made sense. Dwarves were deeply connected with the earth, after all. Natalia felt kind of wobbly as well. "Land soon," she says.

19. - Top - End - #259

Mithril finished memorizing her spells and looked around. "We should see if there are some bunks to claim." She headed toward the nearest sailor "Is there anywhere my friends and I can stay, so we don't get underfoot?"

20. - Top - End - #260

Valen

After boarding the small vessel Balen took time to examine and contemplate some of his newest companions.

Miriam...mother....good natured, passionate, rigid...

Kurt... berserker...fierce...strong....dislikes water...

Shiny...deceiver.....devious...dishonest....decept ive....fast thinker...faster tongue...fadt to subvert...tread carefully around the enchanter...

Natalia...little one...innocent...childlike...naive...dangerously intelligent...masked...

Mithril...lass...intense...intelligent...potential
    Last edited by Zman; 2012-07-13 at 01:53 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261

"Why sleep now? Enjoy the lake." Natalia leans over the railing of the ship, at the deep blue water and far-off land, wondering how salty the Moonsea is, if it is salty at all. She tastes the air to find out.

22. - Top - End - #262

Once the entire group gets on the boat, the wry captain who was missing three fingers on his left hand started hollering at the men in an almost unique language which results in the men setting the boat to open water. He says it will be a three day voyage as the sun fully crests the horizon.

Spoiler
    Show

Must have one rank in Profession: Sailer to understand most of what they are saying.

RP experience for being a great group.

Miriam: 75xp
    Kurt: 75xp
    Valen: 75xp
    Mithril: 100xp
    Natalia: 100xp
    Shiny: 85 xp + 50xp(Story)

Last edited by Zman; 2012-07-14 at 08:57 AM.

23. - Top - End - #263

Natalia tries to understand what the sailors are saying to each other, but it's no good. All she can make out is that they'll be on this boat for the next three days. As the sun climbs higher in the sky Natalia explores the ship, and cant help but notice Valen studying them carefully. Though he's probably just trying to get a feel for his new team members, she still wants to keep an eye on him for a while. Heh, this must have been how she and Mithril seemed to the rest of the group when they first met.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Troll in the Playground

For a while Shiny stands at the edge of the ship, peering out onto the waves as if he'd never seen water before.

After a little time passes he finds the captain. "How are you, skipper? I'm Shiny Gearkeeper, watchmaker and amateur dreamer. Real honor to be on your ship."

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Having prayed and feeling the magic of St. Cuthbert in her, Miriam reflects on the prior days events.

To everyone and no one in particular, she says "I have been thinking about the orphans. I told them that having evil done to them does not give them the right to do evil things. I told them that because the racists humans in that town expect them to do evil things, they should do the opposite. I told them that when people are helping them without expecting anything, they should realize it and appreciate it. I told them they were a family and they needed to stick together and do the right thing. I told them I will return and help them as soon as I gather some gold. But I am not sure they got it. I told them to pray when in doubt or pain or need. I am afraid they did not get it. They just nodded because I looked upset. I really want to help them ...."

She approaches Natalia "Be careful sister of the beautiful stranger. He is strong and knows magic but you need to be a little less trusting."

After that she goes to Valen "Respectfully, Warrior-Sorcerer, I really hope that your intentions with Natalia and Mithril are good and honest. These are soul sisters for me and I want to let you know I will be watching. Do not hurt them emotionally ....."

She sits next to Shiny "Masterteller and Halfling Lawyer, I really enjoyed your story but you have to stop saying it. We both know that we ran our tail between our legs after facing the spiders in the Aquatos shrine. Stop the story with the dragons. We failed the king and I don't want him to know where we are ...."

Finally she approaches Henry "Young man, I might be a simple farm girl who knows nothing but I can tell you that you should be proud of what your father is doing on his farm. It takes of a lot of courage to farm the field every day to be able to feed a family. Adventurers have it easy. They are no responsibilities. They are not true heroes. So reconsider. I am sure your father could use your help. This is the wisdom that St. Cuthbert gave me today .."
    Spoiler
    Show
    I am DMing Red Hand of Doom - IC - OOC

Titus in Red Hand of Doom

Playing Pelric Rantceur, a level 5 cleric in Nightfall - IC - OOC

26. - Top - End - #266

(Natalia only hears what Miriam said to her, not what the others said.)

"Will help," Natalia says, turning back from the railing of the ship. "Will help, will return. Either trust, or the best surprise. Until then, help themselves. Prove the name wrong, or wear it with pride."

When Miriam admonishes her from immediately accepting Valen on the team, the rogue just shakes her head and says, "Thanks, but...Not trusting, not yet. Mutual goals makes them achieving them easier. I'm watching him like he watches us. And...Beautiful?"
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-07-15 at 06:28 PM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam smiles at Natalia "I know you will help the orphans if something happens to me ..... Regarding Valen, you are a young woman and must be feeling things inside you. I am not much older but have a little more experience ... and wisdom .... All I am trying to say is that when feelings take over, sometimes we make the wrong decision ...."
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #268

Valen

"Lady, to ill intentions, I have none. I also respect your concerns. Have I acted outside the bounds of friendship and of offering a helping hand?
    Valen looks intently at the short woman, not letting her power of will intimidate him.

29. - Top - End - #269

Quote Originally Posted by achinca View Post
    Miriam smiles at Natalia "I know you will help the orphans if something happens to me ..... Regarding Valen, you are a young woman and must be feeling things inside you. I am not much older but have a little more experience ... and wisdom .... All I am trying to say is that when feelings take over, sometimes we make the wrong decision ...."
    Natalia clenches the railing of the ship. "Don't say that. Nothing's happening to you. Or me, or us. She blinks for a few moments, not quite getting Miriam's insinuations yet...When it does click, her eyes widen and she frantically shakes her head. "No. No, wrong idea...V-very wrong idea," she stutters out, probably making it seem less convincing than it is. Her palms are getting sweaty, damn it. It's not like Natalia's ashamed of who she is, "Nuts," always bothered her more, but...It's always a bit awkward.

Is it just her, or is the crossbow Mithril gave her feeling a bit heavier in her pack?

Eager to move off the topic, Natalia quickly responds, "No, no insinuations," to Valen.
    Last edited by CoffeeIncluded; 2012-07-15 at 06:39 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ettin in the Playground

Zombie

Miriam looks up at the talk stranger "Well Valen, you are quite strong and you have your way with magic. Two things that Natalia, a young girl would find attractive. She welcomed you quite easily. And to answer your question, you have not done anything wrong so far. That does not mean that you have not thought about it. I might a young girl from a farm that knows nothing but I am not innocent. I know about young girl crush. All I am telling you is that you do not take advantage of her."

Her neck still streched as she watches Valen, she wonders how she became such a matron being only 2 years older than Natalia.
    Spoiler
    Show