New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Yet another Magic thread by me, Shas'aia Toriia Duos! 'Cause I'm sure you weren't sick of looking at me yet!
    Invisible copypasta!
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

You got me, Duos, you got me.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Litewarior View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    One thing I noticed was a distinct lack of Birds of Paradise.
    Spoiler
    Show
    for me it's the complete seemingly lack of one drops in general.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

4. - Top - End - #34
    Dwarf in the Playground

Greets. I been playing Magic off and on for about 10 years now. Most of my deck are legacy but that isn't my point. After playing a fun tourney at my local store I got bit by the Blue bug and am wondering if anyone has some advice on blue decks in general. I am tempted on going Blue/Black but I am unsure if this is wise. Thanks in advance.
    If any of you wish to follow me my twitter is @RetroGamer1224. I am fun but #NSFW

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

You got me, Duos, you got me.
    It's been in there since like the 5th thread.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SynissterSyster View Post
    Greets. I been playing Magic off and on for about 10 years now. Most of my deck are legacy but that isn't my point. After playing a fun tourney at my local store I got bit by the Blue bug and am wondering if anyone has some advice on blue decks in general. I am tempted on going Blue/Black but I am unsure if this is wise. Thanks in advance.
    For what format?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Troll in the Playground

The only Blue/Black deck that comes to mind is Reanimator. But the top decks that involve Blue in Legacy are...
    Canadian Threshold/RUG Delver
    Reanimator
    Stoneblade
    UW Miracles
    Merfolk
    UR Delver
    High Tide
    Mono Blue Control
    BUG Delver

There's some other ones like Dream Halls, Hivemind, Hypergenesis, or even Wizards tribal (which did top 8 in a big tournament...okay, only one tournament, but still), but the above ones are the ones that tend to have the most luck in tournaments.
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-07-03 at 12:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

M13 question:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Vile Rebirth loses its target, do you still get the zombie?
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Bugbear in the Playground

Anyone here use Cockatrice or enjoy playing Tier >1 Modern decks?

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    M13 question:
    Spoiler
    Show
    If Vile Rebirth loses its target, do you still get the zombie?
    Spoiler
    Show
    nope. It's only got one target and if that becomes illegal by the time it resolves, it is countered
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    It's been in there since like the 5th thread.
    It just took him a while to actually get me, then.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Troll in the Playground

In a good mood today. Not only did I go 4-0 for the first time ever in a tournament (I've gone 3-0-1 and 3-0 before, but never 4-0), but I opened a Cavern of Souls in one of my boosters I got as a prize. Trying to decide if I should put it into my Delver deck or sell/trade it.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm going to be helping judge the prerelease this weekend; it's the first time I've judged anything more than a small FNM. tgva, other judges: any advice you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    In a good mood today. Not only did I go 4-0 for the first time ever in a tournament (I've gone 3-0-1 and 3-0 before, but never 4-0), but I opened a Cavern of Souls in one of my boosters I got as a prize. Trying to decide if I should put it into my Delver deck or sell/trade it.
    Congratulations! That's definitely something to be proud of.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

So, Pre-Release is $25 and it sounds like I'll be the only one who would be able to go, so I may not end up going.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    I'm going to be helping judge the prerelease this weekend; it's the first time I've judged anything more than a small FNM. tgva, other judges: any advice you have?
    Are you head judging? If you aren't head judging, this is much easier:
    1) Read the FAQ.
    2) Remember that this is a casual event, so unless someone does something really bad (like cheating), you're going to be giving out warnings.
    3) Whenever anyone asks you a question, pick up the card(s) involved (or bend over them if you don't want to lift them off the play area) and read everything. This not only will help you make sure you know the oracle texts of the cards involved, but will also give you time to think about the question(s) you are being asked so you can more accurately provide a ruling.

Besides that, have fun! If your event isn't too large, you might be able to play as well as judge (you can both play and judge at FNM level or below.)

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Congrats! If you have the space, Cavern's pretty good in Delver.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

2) Remember that this is a casual event, so unless someone does something really bad (like cheating), you're going to be giving out warnings.
    Don't you mean cautions?
    Congrats! If you have the space, Cavern's pretty good in Delver.
    I know some Delver builds play it, though I do know the top one at the Manila Grand Prix didn't (then again, it had only 19 lands, and I'm not sure I want to drop down that low, I'm at 20 now). Right now I'm trying to decide whether the solitary Ghost Quarter in my deck should be replaced with Cavern or not.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, for most game-loss offenses you give warnings. For most warning offenses, you give cautions. But the only thing you give warnings for usually is, like, missed triggers.

Edit: Notable terrible fun deck idea: We now have a 1-mana and a 2-mana Dragon to go with Descendants' Path. Sounds like a fun time.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-07-04 at 09:47 PM.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Firbolg in the Playground

Edit: Notable terrible fun deck idea: We now have a 1-mana and a 2-mana Dragon to go with Descendants' Path. Sounds like a fun time.
    Also the two mana Changeling Firebreather, but that's out of standard. Yay, Casual!
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Well, the cards I mentioned happen to all be legal in Standard in 2 weeks.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

I am aiming for a Milling deck. Standard as the format. I did pretty good at the small tourney so just need to build on it. One I get home I will post my deck.
    If any of you wish to follow me my twitter is @RetroGamer1224. I am fun but #NSFW

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone here play on MtGO? I was thinking about starting it up so I could draft and play pauper at the odd hours of the day I'm awake during summer vacation. I know netdraft and cockatrice and such exist but the games feel like there's no tension since there's nothing on the line. Also, the Legacy tournaments on Magic-League just aren't scratching that itch.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Also the two mana Changeling Firebreather, but that's out of standard. Yay, Casual!
    If you want to go out of standard with Descendant's Path, use it with Eldrazi Spawn.

I am aiming for a Milling deck. Standard as the format. I did pretty good at the small tourney so just need to build on it. One I get home I will post my deck.
    Aggro Mill doesn't usually work well in 60-card formats. To have a good mill deck, you need to either mill their entire library in one turn (Combo Mill) or have a small number of hard-to-remove cards that mill gradually while the rest of your deck tries to neutralize the opponent (Control Mill).

Blue-black has the only decent Control Mill plan in Standard right now with Nephalia Drownyard.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2012-07-05 at 07:30 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    If you want to go out of standard with Descendant's Path, use it with Eldrazi Spawn.
    I don't see what good getting Elder Spawn on to the battlefield would do Yes, I know Eldrazi
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-07-05 at 07:27 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    I don't see what good getting Elder Spawn on to the battlefield would do Yes, I know Eldrazi
    Simple, it turns Crucible of Worlds in "Target red player may scoop." Eldrazi are far too predicable, though.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

I like the idea of Changling Lords with Descendant's Path. "Reveal the top of my deck. Oh, look, it's Sunrise Sovereign, guess I'll play that for free."

26. - Top - End - #56
    Troll in the Playground

I built a new EDH deck. Thoughts?

Spoiler
    Show
    Ashling, the Pilgrim

Basilisk Collar
    Blood Moon
    Caged Sun
    Chaos Warp
    Champion's Helm
    Darksteel Plate
    Duplicant
    Foriysian Totem
    Gauntlet of Might
    Gauntlet of Power
    Gilded Lotus
    Heartstone
    Lightning Greaves
    Loxodon Warhammer
    Magebane Armor
    Magmatic Force
    Mana Flare
    Mind's Eye
    Scythe of the Wretched
    Sol Ring
    Solemn Simulacrum
    Stranglehold

Homeward Path
    76x Mountain
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Needs more Ruination.

You also probably want to play Miren, the Moaning Well. You might want to play Hall of the Bandit Lord. I would also suggest Sword of War and Peace and Sword of Fire and Ice if you have them because pro-red is awesome when you're Earthquaking everything constantly.

I also suggest any ways to get more lands into play, since you're playing so many. Terrain Generator and Druidic Satchel are the examples that come to mind immediately.

Finally, Repercussion. It's really good at making other players die with Earthquakes.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-07-06 at 01:22 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Extinguisher View Post
    I built a new EDH deck. Thoughts?

Spoiler
    Show
    Ashling, the Pilgrim

Basilisk Collar
    Blood Moon
    Caged Sun
    Chaos Warp
    Champion's Helm
    Darksteel Plate
    Duplicant
    Foriysian Totem
    Gauntlet of Might
    Gauntlet of Power
    Gilded Lotus
    Heartstone
    Lightning Greaves
    Loxodon Warhammer
    Magebane Armor
    Magmatic Force
    Mana Flare
    Mind's Eye
    Scythe of the Wretched
    Sol Ring
    Solemn Simulacrum
    Stranglehold

Homeward Path
    76x Mountain
    It might just be that I'm not very familiar with Commander, but your deck is three-quarters lands and I'm not seeing how you're supposed to consistently get enough of the other things to win, especially the all-important mana doublers (and/or the one cost-halver).

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Actually, "99 Mountain Ashling" is a simple deck idea that many have suggested. The idea is that you make your land drop every turn and play Ashling and pump her whenever possible. It's not necessarily highly ineffective (I mean, you get to wrath pretty much whenever you want and you have a giant General), it just isn't as tricky as many other decks.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Troll in the Playground

Needs more Ruination.

You also probably want to play Miren, the Moaning Well. You might want to play Hall of the Bandit Lord. I would also suggest Sword of War and Peace and Sword of Fire and Ice if you have them because pro-red is awesome when you're Earthquaking everything constantly.

I also suggest any ways to get more lands into play, since you're playing so many. Terrain Generator and Druidic Satchel are the examples that come to mind immediately.

Finally, Repercussion. It's really good at making other players die with Earthquakes.
    Swords are pretty expensive, but I should get them anyway.
    All of those are good suggestions. I feel dirty playing Terrain Generator in a mono-red deck though.

Also yes, 99 Mountain Ashling is the most fun. But 70ish mountain and good stuff Ashling is probably better.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music