New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 48 of 51 FirstFirst ... 233839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,440 of 1507
  1. - Top - End - #1411
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    I can see a couple ways out of it though. If the Door wasn't tapped, a judge could rule that Player A simply floated the mana and hasn't used the ability yet. However, that's a highly suspect ruling. If the Door is tapped to use the ability, that judge could say that either the effect fizzles upon targeting Player B, or Player A is SOL. However, with a non-squirrelly interpretation of the relevant rules, Player A's SOL.
    It definitely can't target Player B and then fizzle; player B can't even be declared as a target, due to the Leyline.

2. - Top - End - #1412
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Oddly enough, this would be a time when the original wording, "Destroy target Creature or Player" would actually come in handy...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

3. - Top - End - #1413
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    It definitely can't target Player B and then fizzle; player B can't even be declared as a target, due to the Leyline.
    That's right. Dangit. Player A's definitely SOL then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

4. - Top - End - #1414
    Ettin in the Playground

A minor rules question I've been curious about while looking at a few cards(stab wound and auger spree mainly); if a creature's toughness is reduced to 0 by a debuff(but not by damage), is it still destroyed?
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

5. - Top - End - #1415
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    A minor rules question I've been curious about while looking at a few cards(stab wound and auger spree mainly); if a creature's toughness is reduced to 0 by a debuff(but not by damage), is it still destroyed?
    Yes. If a creatures Toughness becomes 0 or less, it is sent to the graveyard as a state based effect. It is the only way to destroy invincible creatures besides saccing them.

So. I'm doing some articles for http://ponderingmagic.com/, which is starting up again. I'm gonna be going over Zombies, and what is going on with them at the moment.

Who would be interested in that with a run down of my deck list?
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

6. - Top - End - #1416
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    Yes and no. It's just put into a graveyard as a state-based action, not destroyed. Giving an indestructable creature -1/-1s til you hit 0 toughness is a semi-common way to deal with them.
    If you want a OotS style Touhou avatar, send me a request.

Steam name: memnarch. Same avatar.

7. - Top - End - #1417
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    The stump-the-judge question is some variation on the following:
    It's a multiplayer game with 3 remaining players. Player A has a Door to Nothingness, Player B has a Leyline of Sanctity, and Player C has nothing important.

Player A taps lands for 2 mana of each color, and then announces that he is using the Door's ability. Before he announces the target, Player C concedes. Can Player A avoid targetting himself with the Door to Nothingness?
    Oh, that's an easy one. DQ player C for unsportsmanlike conduct, trap the lands, sacrifice the door, carry on with the game.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

8. - Top - End - #1418
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanatos 51-50 View Post
    Oh, that's an easy one. DQ player C for unsportsmanlike conduct, trap the lands, sacrifice the door, carry on with the game.
    I don't see where the DQ comes from.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

9. - Top - End - #1419
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't see where the DQ comes from.
    Oh, yeah, assuming, of course, that one can prove intent.
    Unsportsmanlike conduct is being a poor loser as much as it is a poor winner. When Player C sees the Door to Nothingness is going to target him (Because he's the only logical target), he know he has lost the game. But wait! Player C also knows this niggling little rule and decides that, well, if he can't win, neither can Player A. Therefore, Player C concedes before he is targetted. Player A can't go back on his ability, and he forces player A to target himself.
    This isn't sportsmanlike. This isn't Mutually Assured Destruction through shrewd gameplay, luck or skill, it's Mutually Assured Destruction through throwing a temper tantrum.

My reasoning is similar to "Platinum Angel says you cannot lose, but you can still lose if you stand up and punch your opponent in the face."
    Last edited by Thanatos 51-50; 2012-11-19 at 11:02 AM.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

10. - Top - End - #1420
    Ogre in the Playground

This isn't sportsmanlike. This isn't Mutually Assured Destruction through shrewd gameplay, luck or skill, it's Mutually Assured Destruction through throwing a temper tantrum.
    So something like setting off a mutually lethal Ashling the Pilgrim in response to the Door would also be poor sportsmanship?

11. - Top - End - #1421
    Ettin in the Playground

So something like setting off a mutually lethal Ashling the Pilgrim in response to the Door would also be poor sportsmanship?
    No, because that's as a result of shrewd gameplay, luck, or skill.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

12. - Top - End - #1422
    Ogre in the Playground

No, because that's as a result of shrewd gameplay, luck, or skill.
    Okay, what happens if it's a team game and B is on the same team as C?

13. - Top - End - #1423
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Okay, what happens if it's a team game and B is on the same team as C?
    if it's just team vs. team I guess that's fine. Note that if you specifically playing two headed giant that one player conceding causes the entire team to leave the game (and also lose).
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

14. - Top - End - #1424
    Titan in the Playground

...except that you can float mana for paying the costs before declaring the spell.
    You can, but people still often cast their spells incorrectly even when they do this. Most people do not realize, however, that you can actually tap your lands during the casting of your spell, rather than tapping them beforehand. Most people also do not know all of these steps.

The answer to your rules question is most likely that since the player hasn't finished activating the ability, they can stop attempting to resolve it and go back. Note that in your situation, they have not tapped or sacrificed their Door, nor have they selected targets for it. At any time during the attempt to cast a spell at any REL at which multiplayer events are judged, you can "fail" to be able to activate Door's ability and go back to before you did so.

Most judges would probably go by the heart of the rule and likely either allow Player A to "take back" activating Door or force Player A to activate it as if Player C had not conceded, "targeting" Player C and then getting countered due to lack of legal targets.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-11-19 at 03:26 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

15. - Top - End - #1425
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    The answer to your rules question is most likely that since the player hasn't finished activating the ability, they can stop attempting to resolve it and go back. Note that in your situation, they have not tapped or sacrificed their Door, nor have they selected targets for it. At any time during the attempt to cast a spell at any REL at which multiplayer events are judged, you can "fail" to be able to activate Door's ability and go back to before you did so.

Most judges would probably go by the heart of the rule and likely either allow Player A to "take back" activating Door or force Player A to activate it as if Player C had not conceded, "targeting" Player C and then getting countered due to lack of legal targets.
    Last I checked (which admittedly was several rules versions ago), the steps in activating an ability are all mandatory, but the fail+rewind case happens if you accidentally do something illegal. Intentionally doing something illegal is, er, illegal. Normally, you could get to the last step and refuse to activate mana abilities to pay the cost, but that doesn't work if all the mana is in your pool already.

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Player A can, however, sacrifice the Door to pay part of its cost, then fail at paying the {T} part of the cost.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2012-11-19 at 11:47 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1426
    Titan in the Playground

I believe how the rules would play out, the statement "I activate Door to Nothingness" is an accepted tournament shortcut for "I activate Door to Nothingness targeting a legal opponent target." Since there is only one in this case, the shortcut is likely to be interpreted as aiming Door at Player C. So if the opponent concedes in response, it does actually become illegal. Since this is an accepted tournament shortcut, there is literally no possible moment in which Player C could concede that would cause Player A to kill him/herself.

I forgot about tournament shortcuts.

Of course, there are no multiplayer events at any REL in which this situation is even possible, so I think the judge could rule to the heart of the rules and the person who was a jerk (very obviously trying to be so) would probably not be able to argue one of his opponents into losing. Any judge I can think of would probably rule this way even if the rules explicitly said otherwise, because it is pretty obvious that Player C is rules-lawyering Player A, who would never activate Door in this situation unless he was about to lose anyways, assuming the rules work against him. This part is what I was suggesting in my previous post.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-11-19 at 11:41 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

17. - Top - End - #1427
    Barbarian in the Playground

I just got an alternate artwork foil Gravecrawler(mint, never been played), 4 Alternate Artwork Diregraf Ghouls(mint, never been played with), and 2 Alternate Artwork foil Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord(mint, never been played with).
    I'm a happy clam =>
    Now, time to ruin their mint status by putting them in my zombies deck!
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

18. - Top - End - #1428
    Bugbear in the Playground

Do tourney shortcuts allow for 4 horsemen to be played in legacy tournies? I keep hearing conflicting answers.

Also. Can I get some feedback on my cube themes. The cube is meant to be focused on multicolour deck with low colour weight. So Thropter Factory, OK. Glimpse the Unthinkable. OK. Ghost Council of Orzhov. Not OK (cause double black, double white). While there are no creatures with 3 colours that must be paided (there are some gold hybrid cards like Thropter), I'm trying to make 2-3 colour decks work. For example, BUG can use UB's mill on themselves to get a nice big grave for something powerful, or for Naya (GWR), use efficent beaters like Kird Ape and Wild Nalcalt and creature buffers to swing for Waaargh.

UB: Evasive creatures or creatures who you don't want to block or can't be block, with some hand, deck and spell disruption. An example UB card would be Inkfathom Witch, who makes all unblocked creatures 4/1. A blue card would be Jace's Phantasm (an evasive creature who likes mill) and a black card would be Oona's Prowler (a powerful evasive creature who generates card advantage for you if your opponant wants to keep their life)

BW: Flying tokens and efficent aggressive creature with removal and disruption. The example BW card would be Stillmoon Cavalier who can pump and can gain protection. The white card would be Spectral Procession (3 1/1 flyers for 3 mana) and the black card would be Duress (Disrupts the opponants hand for B mana)

BR: Killing things no matter the cost. The example BR card would be Rakdos Cackler (a 1/1 for R or B who can become a 2/2 at the cost of not blocking). The black card would be Doom Blade (A killing spell) and the red card would be Brimstone Volley (5 damage if something died this turn)

BG: Graveyard matters. The example card would be Deathrite Shaman, a 1 mana dude who turns cards in graveyard into damage or life, as well as lands. The example black card would be Death (put a card from the graveyard under your control and lose some life). The example green card would be Tarmgoyf (Gains power from a well stocked grave)

UG: Tempo beaters. The example card is Edric, Spymaster of Trest who lets you draw cards whenever you deal damage giving card advantage. The green card I was thinking of Rancor to make creatures strong and give them trample for draw effects and for blue I was thinking of Ponder for cantrips and the like.

GR: Aggro to the extreme. The example card for GR for this cube I'm looking at is Boggart Ram Gang, a 3/3 haster with wither. For red I was thinking Lightning Bolt for damage and for Green, I am a little unsure, but was thinking an Overrun type effect.

UR: Instants and sorceries matter. The example card is Niv Mizzet Elemental, who noms on instant/sorceries to get bigger. The red card is Shattering Spree, that destroys artifacts for R, and can be replicated for R, to let your cards get bigger from instant/sorceries or to blow stuff up. The blue card is Gigadrowse. Tap something anything for U and replicate for U, and if they do something in response, have the elemental eat the ability on the stack.

WR: For WR I am thinking a swarming and lots of creature theme. Where other decks might use tokens, Boros use something like Boros Recruit to buff them up and do lots of damage. The example RW card would be Figure of Destiny, who starts small but gets a lot bigger. The example W card would be Serra's Blessing to let them all swing at once, while an example R card would be Dogpile to turn attacking creatures into removal or damage.

The 2 colours I'm not sure about are UW and GW.

For UW, I was thinking permission magic and a more controlly deck but I'm unsure on what to include for people playing UW that they would want more than someone playing UG or UB or sumin.

And for GW. I have BW doing flying tokens etc, but what to do with GW. Efficent creatures? Token armies with Rhys and similar token making effects? Would GW then be viable without the tokens?
    More to come.
    Last edited by Lea Plath; 2012-11-21 at 07:42 AM.
    Steampunk Urchin Lea by Akrim.elf
    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Spider girl, spider girl,
    Leaves your head in a whirl
    She can swing from a web
    And then she will bite your leg
    Watch out, it's Lea The Spider Girl

19. - Top - End - #1429
    Ogre in the Playground

No, they don't. The issue does not come from the rules for shortcuts, but instead from the IPG entry for slow play. Essentially, loops require you to be able to name an end you will end at. However, The Four Horsemen has no pre-defined end state as it's based on the order of your deck (which should be random). Because of this it can't be looped under the IPG.

20. - Top - End - #1430
    Titan in the Playground

What are some good white, black or red cards that will allow me to sacrifice creatures easily? I've got a R/B/W Commander deck I'm building with Yosei and Kokusho, and I was hoping to find some decent inexpensive cards (Read: Not more than 2 dollars.) to be able to utilize them properly.

21. - Top - End - #1431
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    What are some good white, black or red cards that will allow me to sacrifice creatures easily? I've got a R/B/W Commander deck I'm building with Yosei and Kokusho, and I was hoping to find some decent inexpensive cards (Read: Not more than 2 dollars.) to be able to utilize them properly.
    Attrition? Bloodflow Connoisseur, Bloodthrone Vampire? Disciple of Grizzly? Black has a ton of 'sac a creature' costs, often on pretty cheap cards. If you're just looking to make sure you can sac creatures and don't care about the benefits then Bloodthrone Vampire, Bloodflow Connoisseur and Devouring Swarm are great. Their benefits are small but they can be used at will without any other costs, which means fewer 'shields down' moments. And they're very, very cheap (being all commons). If you want some benefit then Attrition lets you kill other creatures for about a buck, and Disciple of Bolas provides a nice 1-time benefit for the same price.

Those are just the ones I can think of, I'm sure there are a ton of great options out there that others might have but thought I'd get them out of the way.

22. - Top - End - #1432
    Titan in the Playground

Viscera Seer and Carrion Feeder are both 1-drops with repeatable sac abilities.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

23. - Top - End - #1433
    Ogre in the Playground

Disciple of Griselbrand is one that I know of that's pretty good, and, you can use it repeatedly.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

24. - Top - End - #1434
    Ogre in the Playground

If you just need something to sacrifice, rather than something with abilities that activate when you do so, Reassembling Skeleton might be good, and it shouldn't be that much, seeing as it's only Uncommon.

25. - Top - End - #1435
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by C'nor View Post
    If you just need something to sacrifice, rather than something with abilities that activate when you do so, Reassembling Skeleton might be good, and it shouldn't be that much, seeing as it's only Uncommon.
    I'm specifically looking for things to sacrifice Kokusho and/or Yosei to activate their abilities. The tips I've received so far have been good, thanks.

26. - Top - End - #1436

You could use Altar's Reap. Sacrifice a creature, draw two cards.
    Useful, extremely cheap, gets you two extra cards.
    Busy with Life

27. - Top - End - #1437
    Ettin in the Playground

Ashnod's Altar and Phyrexian Altar are probably the sac engines for something like that.

Also, I was bored and made this: Don't judge me it as a long bus ride XD
    Spoiler
    Show

Give up and Sideboard (parody of Fort Minor's "Remember the Name")

-------------

This is ten percent search,
    Twenty percent draw
    Fifteen percent comboing before the turn's up
    Five percent counter, fifty percent storm
    And a hundred percent reason to just give up and sideboard

Blue! It doesn't need the creatures to win
    It just wants to cast spells, whether they're search or they're dig
    And it feels so OP, to have a hand that you've sculpted
    In spite of the fact that some players still try to play through em

But stop em, blue's got counters.
    The card draw is our salary
    The stack is our reality, and your stuff's not on it
    Playing removal—making sure the field stays blank
    That means when you're out of cards, I start comboing off!

What are creatures anyway?
    You never seem to land them.
    Unconcerned about your plays but still leaving you outta luck
    Counter all the spells you casted, in spite of the fact
    That you could see how much mana I've got untapped.

Winning it with counters now, while the combo collects
    Even with your creatures you can't stop what comes next
    I'm only focused on my spells, because the combo's beyond reach
    And now it all unfolds, my whole hand in one turn

This is twenty percent mana
    Eighty percent dig
    And a hundred percent storm count, cus I'm casting all my spells
    Who would have ever thought that I could combo so fast
    And you can't disrupt it, may as well just scoop it up

I've got High Tide and and Palinchron, stormin it up
    Playing my hand then refilling it before you can respond
    I'm untapping my lands, then making even more mana
    Taking a ten minute turn while you watch me just wreck ya

Twenty percent draw

They call it control, it's sick
    And its spitting counters and bounce
    Removes your stuff from the board
    Found it in the top 8 a lot
    It's annoying to play against
    But it does get results
    The deck players want to play as, and others hope it gets banned
    60 cards in the making (100 for Commander)
    Don't try to win against it without some heavy disruption
    It's a monster to play, no need to play things on-turn
    You won't believe the kind of threats this deck can burn

It's not your everyday deck in the game
    Player knows how to work with what he's got, making his way to X/nought
    He often gets a comment on his deck
    People keep askin him
    Was the deck on the 'net
    Or did he homebrew this bastard?
    No, it's tested and tweaked, to get the optimal game
    He'll get the lockdown quicker than his opponent can believe
    The deck and others like it are some of the best in eternal
    Dedicated to what they do and a hundred percent lethal

Forget losing—There's nothing that can counter the Blue
    It seems that nothing can touch it, and definitely not you
    And I've seen it at work, in a god-hand situation
    It's like a trainwreck for the other player—causes a ragequit
    Before you even roll for play/draw, you know this deck will win
    And those cards in the sideboard?
    They're just counters
    For everything he's not seen

Twenty percent draw

Twenty percent draw

28. - Top - End - #1438
    Banned

Mirei the moaning well coupled with an adarkar valkyrie used to work well for me back in the day.

29. - Top - End - #1439

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Ashnod's Altar and Phyrexian Altar are probably the sac engines for something like that.

Also, I was bored and made this: Don't judge me it as a long bus ride XD
    Spoiler
    Show

Give up and Sideboard (parody of Fort Minor's "Remember the Name")

-------------

Twenty percent draw

Blue! It doesn't need the creatures to win
    It just wants to cast spells, whether they're search or they're dig
    And it feels so OP, to have a hand that you've sculpted
    In spite of the fact that some players still try to play through em

But stop em, blue's got counters.
    The card draw is our salary
    The stack is our reality, and your stuff's not on it
    Playing removal—making sure the field stays blank
    That means when you're out of cards, I start comboing off!

What are creatures anyway?
    You never seem to land them.
    Unconcerned about your plays but still leaving you outta luck
    Counter all the spells you casted, in spite of the fact
    That you could see how much mana I've got untapped.

Winning it with counters now, while the combo collects
    Even with your creatures you can't stop what comes next
    I'm only focused on my spells, because the combo's beyond reach
    And now it all unfolds, my whole hand in one turn

This is twenty percent mana
    Eighty percent dig
    And a hundred percent storm count, cus I'm casting all my spells
    Who would have ever thought that I could combo so fast
    And you can't disrupt it, may as well just scoop it up

I've got High Tide and and Palinchron, stormin it up
    Playing my hand then refilling it before you can respond
    I'm untapping my lands, then making even more mana
    Taking a ten minute turn while you watch me just wreck ya

Twenty percent draw

They call it control, it's sick
    And its spitting counters and bounce
    Removes your stuff from the board
    Found it in the top 8 a lot
    It's annoying to play against
    But it does get results
    The deck players want to play as, and others hope it gets banned
    60 cards in the making (100 for Commander)
    Don't try to win against it without some heavy disruption
    It's a monster to play, no need to play things on-turn
    You won't believe the kind of threats this deck can burn

It's not your everyday deck in the game
    Player knows how to work with what he's got, making his way to X/nought
    He often gets a comment on his deck
    People keep askin him
    Was the deck on the 'net
    Or did he homebrew this bastard?
    No, it's tested and tweaked, to get the optimal game
    He'll get the lockdown quicker than his opponent can believe
    The deck and others like it are some of the best in eternal
    Dedicated to what they do and a hundred percent lethal

Forget losing—There's nothing that can counter the Blue
    It seems that nothing can touch it, and definitely not you
    And I've seen it at work, in a god-hand situation
    It's like a trainwreck for the other player—causes a ragequit
    Before you even roll for play/draw, you know this deck will win
    And those cards in the sideboard?
    They're just counters
    For everything he's not seen

Twenty percent draw

Twenty percent draw
    Would you like fries with those internets?
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

30. - Top - End - #1440

So I've decided to drop Selesnya Populate and go into Green/Black Zombies.

Spoiler
    Show

-Creatures-
    4 Diregraf Ghoul
    4 Gravecrawler
    4 Lotleth Troll
    4 Dreg Mangler
    4 Slitherhead
    2 Trestle Troll
    2 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord

-Instants-
    2 Golgari Charm
    4 Tragic Slip

-Sorceries-
    4 Ghoulcaller's Chant
    2 Appetite for Brains

-Enchantments-
    4 Rancor

-Land-
    4 Woodland Cemetary
    4 Woodland Cemetary
    6 Swamp
    6 Forest

-Sideboard-
    2 Golgari Charm
    2 Appetite for Brains
    4 Plummet
    2 Trestle Troll
    4 Cremate
    1 Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord

Any suggestions, anyone? I need a better way to take out Sublimes, Restorations, and other fliers...they really take out my deck.
    Busy with Life