New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Quote Originally Posted by IthilanorStPete View Post
    3 rounds is the minimum to be sanctioned; otherwise, it's at the TO's discretion, although the MTR recommends more rounds based on the number of players. If you want to know, the formula is ceiling (log base 2 (number of players))
    Well I knew there were recommendations, I got to learn about those when I was just a little tyke, but thank you for the formula.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

After some pondering, I did take out the Oblivion Rings from the maindeck. They're still going into the sideboard though.

Tough part is figuring out what to replace them with. One I replaced with Divine Deflection (I think it works as a 1-of). The other I currently have a Mana Leak in, though I'm not sure it's worth it as a 4-of maindeck when Cavern of Souls is around. Maybe a third Runechanter's Pike?
    Last edited by Lord Seth; 2012-07-12 at 02:22 AM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

I guess it depends. What permanents did you tend to Oblivion Ring most often? If they were Planeswalkers, then Mana Leak is a pretty good choice. Sure, you won't counter creatures often, but you'll counter more Planeswalkers.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    Why didn't he block with the faithmender? Even if the other token got through for 5 lifelink isn't a triggered ability anymore, so he'd be at 2 post-block (3 starting, -5 from one token, +2 doubled to 4 from rhox's lifelink). I've got to be missing something, and you've got me curious now.
    He did block, i guess the Rhox wasn't enchanted and that was just how i remembered it.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

it turns out there is not a card that deals damage when an enchantment enters the battlefield, this makes me sad.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    it turns out there is not a card that deals damage when an enchantment enters the battlefield, this makes me sad.
    You could use Opalescence and something that deals damage when creatures enter. This is a totally optimal thing to do.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Androgeus' 3 step guide to Doctor Who speculation:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. Pick a random character
    2. State that person is The Rani
    3. goto 1

7. - Top - End - #157

Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

8. - Top - End - #158
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Androgeus View Post
    You could use Opalescence and something that deals damage when creatures enter. This is a totally optimal thing to do.
    I don't think that would work, if I'm not mistaken, the enchantment would enter the battlefield, and after it was on the field, it would become a creature, not before it enters, and as such, the effect would not take place.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Litewarior View Post
    I don't think that would work, if I'm not mistaken, the enchantment would enter the battlefield, and after it was on the field, it would become a creature, not before it enters, and as such, the effect would not take place.
    No, it works. As soon as it enters the battlefield, it's an Enchantment Creature; with static continuous abilities like Opalescence's, or stuff like Curse of Death's Hold, there's no point at which the affected object is on the battlefield but not objected.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ogre in the Playground

so legacy/vintage only = deck idea to slow to begin with. I'd never have the chance to combo out.

Quote Originally Posted by IcemanJRC View Post
    pandemonium is a whole mana cheaper. but again, this take a would be 4 card combo to 5 cards that require a minimum of 4 open mana over 3 turns to lay the ground work. now there's enough draw power around that you can almost always combo out on turn 6-7: but you'd be dead by then.
    Last edited by 9mm; 2012-07-12 at 10:50 PM.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

11. - Top - End - #161
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

So I was playing Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, specifically the challenges and having quite a bit of fun with them until I got to the second to last one.

Its a long story(mainly because I need to explain the challenge) so I'll spoiler tag it:
    Spoiler
    Show

So this is the challenge:

You have 26 Islands(all untapped) in play and an Archaeomancer.

Your hand is:
    Spectral Flight
    Rite of Replication
    Talrand, Sky Summoner
    Volition Reigns
    Aether Adept

Your Graveyard:
    2 Rite of Replication
    Hysterical Blindness
    Unsummon
    Reality Spasm
    Diminish
    Inundate
    Downpour

Your Opponent is at 6 and has:
    24 Forests(all untapped) a Acidic Slime tapped, a Ursapine tapped, and Nature's Revolt in play with no hand.

The solution I thought of:
    Cast Spectral Flight on one of your Islands(you have 23 lands untapped(well 24 but the spectral flighted one needs to attack). Cast Volition Reigns on one of your opponents Forests(17). Cast Aether Adept returning Archaeomancer to your hand(13). Cast Archaeomancer targetting Reality Spasm(9). Cast Rite of Replication targeting the opponents Ursapine(5). Activate the Ursapine's ability with your Forest, making your spectral flighted Island a 5/5. Cast Reality Spasm for 1(2) untapping your forest. Activate Ursapine's ability one more time making your land a 6/6. Kill your opponent.

However if you Volition Reigns a forest, it has a summoning sickness and cannot tap. Which would be fine if you could not clearly see(as Duels shows whether or not something has summoning sickness by animating a little whirlpool above it) that none of your opponents 24 forests have summoning sickness.

I was thoroughly annoyed by this as hear I was, thinking I had solved the challenge, and the game just said NOPE. Can't do that. Try something else. I've been frustrated by the challenges before, but that has always been because I tried something and it didn't quite get there. But this... this was annoying.

Anyway the real solution
    Spoiler
    Show
    involves casting a bunch of rite of replications to eventually give yourself an Ursapine, 5 forests, and an acidic slime. You slime the Nature's Revolt and pump your non-summoning sick archaeomancer 5 times for lethal.

Which in my totally unbiased opinion is not nearly as cool as my solution.

Anyway, figured I would share this with you. Duels 2013 is surprisingly good and I'm still having fun, but its a bit unpolished in places(this is the only time that's actually come out in gameplay though). Simply replacing the Reality Spasm with say, Gigadrowse, would keep the "trap" card of the X-Tapper there without leading to another solution.

tl;dr I thought I solved the challenge but was stopped by something that was untrue about the game state.
    When you are first born, the universe assigns you a secret luck value. The quality of your life, dice rolls, and how friendly your DM is are all influenced by the luck value. It is the universe's secret social experiment. So if you been rolling poor, it is only because you were assigned low luck value by the universe. You can raise your luck value only through proper dice rolling rituals.

12. - Top - End - #162

The game state was fine. A creature can't attack unless you controlled it continuously since the beginning of your last upkeep. If you steal something, it gets summoning sickness again.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Gauntlet View Post
    The game state was fine. A creature can't attack unless you controlled it continuously since the beginning of your last upkeep. If you steal something, it gets summoning sickness again.
    I was about to say he took a land and thus shouldn't be subject to summoning sickness, but then thought I should read more, and yhea the lands are creatures due to Nature's Revolt and thus are summoning sick.

In other news, I just got back from a m13 draft which I came in joint 1st
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-07-13 at 06:07 PM.
    "Three blokes walk into a pub. One of them is a little bit stupid, and the whole scene unfolds with a tedious inevitability." - Bill Bailey
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

14. - Top - End - #164

In other news, I just got back from a m13 draft which I came in joint 1st
    What did you draft? I have had the best results with evasive aggro cards + auras (Tormented soul is bonkers if you can give him a bit of power, like the Lifelink enchant, or the black ring, and Harbor Bandit is good on his own) but I still want to try green (Serra Spider and Rancor are really really strong cards).
    Last edited by Gauntlet; 2012-07-13 at 06:28 PM.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Barbarian in the Playground

What did you draft? I have had the best results with evasive aggro cards + auras (Tormented soul is bonkers if you can give him a bit of power, like the Lifelink enchant, or the black ring, and Harbor Bandit is good on his own) but I still want to try green (Serra Spider and Rancor are really really strong cards).
    Roaring Primadox has been doing all kinds of heavy lifting even without looking at splashes.
    Szilard has all of those sweet trophies for a reason. Awesome avatar is his handiwork.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

I played GW erm midrange(?) I guess. I won by turning guys sideways. This was my deck:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1xBond Beetle
    2x Prey Upon
    1x Rancor (definitely awesome)

1x Deadly Recluse
    1x Farseek
    1x Flinthoof Boar (it came down to this or a 2nd plument, thought a bear was better. Never drew it thought)
    1x Quiriron Dryad (should proabbly have been in a less green heavy deck, but otherwise seemed cool)
    1x Plumet
    1x Ring of Kalonia
    1x Ring of Thune (Both rings were cool)

1x Attended Knight
    1x Oblivion Ring
    1x Centaur Courser

1x Divine Verdict
    1x Pillarfield Ox
    1x Prized Elephant (definitely a prize, I think most my winds came from this)
    1x Primal Huntbeast
    1x Roaring Primadox

1x Battleflight Eagle (Fun with primadox)
    1x Serra Angel
    1x Acidic Slime
    1x Garruk's Packleader

1x Sunpetal Grove
    9x Forest
    7x Plains

I would say that I got away with any bad choices in my deck because the other players were less skilled than me, and I'd only say I'm a bad to moderate player.
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-07-13 at 07:10 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

17. - Top - End - #167

Spoilers from San Diego Comicon panel:

FTV: Realms
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glacial Chasm (new art)
    Forbidden Orchard (new art)
    Grove of the Burnwillows
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    Dryad Arbor (new art)
    Murmuring Bosk

Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari
    Spoiler
    Show
    Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind (the old legend)
    Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord (RTR preview, GGBB Mythic Legendary Creature- Zombie Elf Wizard)
    5 other RTR cards

Return to Ravnica
    Spoiler
    Show
    5 Guilds: Azorius, Izzet, Golgari, Selesnya, Rakdos
    Mythic Legendary creature for each guild
    Jarad
    new Niv-Mizzet
    new Isperia
    new Rakdos
    new legend for Selesnya- '3 as one' trinity of dryads
    Large set

'Line'
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Gatecrash
    other 5 guilds: Dimir, Simic, Gruul, Boros, Orzhov
    More mythic legends:
    new Borborygmos
    new Ghost Council
    new legend for Boros- angel (not Feather or Razia)
    new legend for Simic- merfolk (female, merfolk are on ravnica now, there is a reason but we don't know it yet)
    new legend for Dimir- shapeshifter
    Large set (!)
    Will be drafted Gatecrash-Gatecrash-Gatecrash until Sinker comes out
    Shocklands hinted at EVEN MORE but not actually confirmed

'Sinker'
    Spoiler
    Show

All 10 guilds
    Will be drafted Sinker- Gatecrash- RTR

Prereleases
    Spoiler
    Show
    At release- choose a guild, then receive a pack containing:
    5 RTR or Gatecrash packs
    1 pack containing ONLY your guild's cards
    1 Promo for your guild- which you CAN play in your sealed deck
    Sticker
    Letter from guild leader
    Guild-specific achievement card

Other releases
    Spoiler
    Show
    No New Premium Deck Series
    Commander Armory: new commander oversized cards/foils/reprints/other fun CMD stuff

I think that's it. Some interesting stuff.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Well... That is a rather obscure rule that I am glad I now know. And that clears that up. Thank you. I am much less annoyed now.
    When you are first born, the universe assigns you a secret luck value. The quality of your life, dice rolls, and how friendly your DM is are all influenced by the luck value. It is the universe's secret social experiment. So if you been rolling poor, it is only because you were assigned low luck value by the universe. You can raise your luck value only through proper dice rolling rituals.

19. - Top - End - #169

Beholder

Spoilers from San Diego Comicon panel:

FTV: Realms
    Spoiler
    Show
    Glacial Chasm (new art)
    Forbidden Orchard (new art)
    Grove of the Burnwillows
    Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    Dryad Arbor (new art)
    Murmuring Bosk

Duel Decks: Izzet vs. Golgari
    Spoiler
    Show
    Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind (the old legend)
    Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord (RTR preview, GGBB Mythic Legendary Creature- Zombie Elf Wizard)
    5 other RTR cards

Return to Ravnica
    Spoiler
    Show
    5 Guilds: Azorius, Izzet, Golgari, Selesnya, Rakdos
    Mythic Legendary creature for each guild
    Jarad
    new Niv-Mizzet
    new Isperia
    new Rakdos
    new legend for Selesnya- '3 as one' trinity of dryads
    Large set

'Line'
    Spoiler
    Show
    Name: Gatecrash
    other 5 guilds: Dimir, Simic, Gruul, Boros, Orzhov
    More mythic legends:
    new Borborygmos
    new Ghost Council
    new legend for Boros- angel (not Feather or Razia)
    new legend for Simic- merfolk (female, merfolk are on ravnica now, there is a reason but we don't know it yet)
    new legend for Dimir- shapeshifter
    Large set (!)
    Will be drafted Gatecrash-Gatecrash-Gatecrash until Sinker comes out
    Shocklands hinted at EVEN MORE but not actually confirmed

'Sinker'
    Spoiler
    Show

All 10 guilds
    Will be drafted Sinker- Gatecrash- RTR

Prereleases
    Spoiler
    Show
    At release- choose a guild, then receive a pack containing:
    5 RTR or Gatecrash packs
    1 pack containing ONLY your guild's cards
    1 Promo for your guild- which you CAN play in your sealed deck
    Sticker
    Letter from guild leader
    Guild-specific achievement card

Other releases
    Spoiler
    Show
    No New Premium Deck Series
    Commander Armory: new commander oversized cards/foils/reprints/other fun CMD stuff

I think that's it. Some interesting stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show
    FtV: Realms is looking slightly dissapointing so far...

A bunch of cards that stink, I already have, or have subpar new art. Urborg is cool but meh. Where's my foil Maze, damnit?
    Last edited by Lhurgyof; 2012-07-14 at 01:44 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

On the Return to Ravnica spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty sure the "3 Dryads as 1" is actually just Chorus of the Conclave, except maybe a new card.

In other news, I was wrong about enemy color-block (though I really wish they'd do it sometime), draft format looks awesome.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

21. - Top - End - #171
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

So continuing the theme of first times from my last post I did my first Draft last night and did alright.... I think. I had to leave a round early as we didn't start drafting until an hour after we should have and I need to get a train back from events so I only played 3 rounds and got 1 draw, 1 win 2-1 and 1 loss 1-2. All the players there had drafted before which put me at a slight disadvantage though from what I heard people talking about before drafting started not many people wanted to play red so I decided I'd try and nab the cards for an aggressive red deck. I ended up going Red with a tiny splash of green, getting Krenko early secured the idea that I'd be playing red and trying to get extra goblins.

Due to luckily picking one of the same colours as I did in the pre-release I had some insight to what's good in that colour for limited format but still felt really overwhelmed by the whole drafting process and what's good in limited. Ah well I suppose with practice I'll get better and I enjoyed the whole affair with my planning on building a standard constructed goblin deck going ahead and the player that I think went on to come first saying if I needed specific cards for it he'd get hold of them for me.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

You may find this a helpful guide to getting a handle of drafting.

http://www.starcitygames.com/magic/f..._To_Draft.html

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Just a couple things gauntlet missed

RTR
    Spoiler
    Show
    New Jace! (well duh, he is on some of the art work). There will be 2 planeswalkers in RTR

'Line' (is it spoilers to call a set by it's actual name once it has been announced?)
    Spoiler
    Show
    There is going to be a new Gideon as well. There will be 2 planeswalkers in Gatecrash
    Last edited by Androgeus; 2012-07-14 at 06:11 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    3. goto 1

24. - Top - End - #174

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    On the Return to Ravnica spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pretty sure the "3 Dryads as 1" is actually just Chorus of the Conclave, except maybe a new card.

In other news, I was wrong about enemy color-block (though I really wish they'd do it sometime), draft format looks awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    The three dryads very very specifically described as 'not the Chorus of the Conclave, who are no longer with us'.

25. - Top - End - #175

Return To Ravnica:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Magic: The Gathering Facebook page has 18 photos listed Return to Ravnica Block Art Previews.
    The first is Jace standing with Niv Mizzet, which we've already seen.
    Then, there's a door or gate or something with the 10 guild symbols on it, followed by 5 beautiful landscapes, and 11 depictions of creatures and characters. One of which is Gideon standing with an angel and sporting a Boros symbol on his belt. You should be able to see them here.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
    Enchantress uses Words of War combined with the usual Enchantresses. It's the closest you can get.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I'm judging at TCG Orlando! I'll be judging feature matches for rounds 6 and 9, so look for me!

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    Faith's Reward + Archaeomancer + Bloodthrone Vampire + 2 Torch Fiends + 2 Gilded Lotus? Is that insanely complicated enough to quality? Archaeomancer + Faith's reward can probably enable dozens of infinite combos.
    Yeah. You can replace the Gilded Lotus and Torch Fiends with Omniscience to bring it down to 4 cards.
    Last edited by Bucky; 2012-07-14 at 03:47 PM.
    The gnomes once had many mines, but now they have gnome ore.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Troll in the Playground

Dryad arbor is beautiful. I might actually buy a FtV this time around.
    Thanks Uncle Festy for the wonderful Ashling Avatar
    I make music

30. - Top - End - #180

So does anyone have any idea when FtV: Realms is going to go on preorder for most places? I really want to get one, but I get the feeling it'll sell out really fast and I don't want to miss the date.
    Awesome avatar by potatocubed.