New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

Depending on the cards you already have, Callos, playing Black Sun's Zenith might be a good idea. Though I do like Blastphemous Act a lot.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Magic: The Gathering Thread XIV: Instant Annoying, Just Add Hexproof

I have one of each (Black Sun and Blasphemous Act), but putting in Mutilates seems counter-productive to me with my current mana-base ideas and Iceman. With only 3 swamps (I'm going to go with Iceman's mana-base), that's a max of...-3/-3, IF I have all three swamps out. As opposed to Black Sun which can give far more then that so long as I have two black mana to play it or Blasphemous Act which flat out annihilates any non-indestructible/non-pro red creature with less then 13 toughness and only needs one red (depending on the opponent's field of course).
    Warriors & Wuxia: A community world-building project focused on low-magic wuxia/kung-fu action using ToB.

"These 'no-nonsense' solutions of yours just don't hold water in a complex world of jet-powered apes and time travel."

3. - Top - End - #243
    Titan in the Playground

I would probably play 1 copy of each for now. They're both effective. I'm sure there will be something to substitute for Black Sun's Zenith soon.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Callos_DeTerran View Post
    I have one of each (Black Sun and Blasphemous Act), but putting in Mutilates seems counter-productive to me with my current mana-base ideas and Iceman. With only 3 swamps (I'm going to go with Iceman's mana-base), that's a max of...-3/-3, IF I have all three swamps out. As opposed to Black Sun which can give far more then that so long as I have two black mana to play it or Blasphemous Act which flat out annihilates any non-indestructible/non-pro red creature with less then 13 toughness and only needs one red (depending on the opponent's field of course).
    I was saying that you could modify your deck to better make use of Mutilate. Though Black Sun's and Blasphemous act will both work fine I'm sure.
    Uncle Fong, from Bibliography, and Chibi Fong Avatar By Elagune

Total War Factions
    Spoiler
    Show

Total War: Broken City (Retired)

Banner courtesy of Nyrt

Total War: Another 2125 (Retired)
    Dutch Kritarchy and Constituents

5. - Top - End - #245
    Titan in the Playground

My cousin wants to make a new deck since his is rotating out in 3 months. What are some good budget decks for post rotation? I know R/G Werewolves isn't too expensive, but I'm wondering if there are good options beyond that.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    My cousin wants to make a new deck since his is rotating out in 3 months. What are some good budget decks for post rotation? I know R/G Werewolves isn't too expensive, but I'm wondering if there are good options beyond that.
    Any of the B/x Zombie builds are pretty budget with B/R probably the most maintainable post Rotation(B/U loses Phantasmal Image, B/G loses Birthing Pod, B/W isn't really a thing). The money cards being Gravecrawler, Geralf's Messanger, and Falkenrath Aristocrat(If your B/R). Mono-black is also an option. I'd also look at Disciple of Bolas from M13 for inclusion in that deck.

Their may also be a B/R Vampires build between the Innistrad Vampires and Vampire Noctornus from M13.

The Mono-U Delver of Secrets/Invisible Stalker Runechanters Pike deck is one I've seen on Magic Online a bit and it looks pretty cheap to build being almost entirely Commons and Uncommons and probably gets the most from M13(Talrand and his Invocation). However it also relies somewhat heavily on Phyrexian Mana spells so I don't know how well it will survive rotation. But there are a lot of one mana Blue spells in Innistrad Block(Silent Departure probably being the biggest candidate).
    When you are first born, the universe assigns you a secret luck value. The quality of your life, dice rolls, and how friendly your DM is are all influenced by the luck value. It is the universe's secret social experiment. So if you been rolling poor, it is only because you were assigned low luck value by the universe. You can raise your luck value only through proper dice rolling rituals.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zavoniki View Post
    The Mono-U Delver of Secrets/Invisible Stalker Runechanters Pike deck is one I've seen on Magic Online a bit and it looks pretty cheap to build being almost entirely Commons and Uncommons and probably gets the most from M13(Talrand and his Invocation).
    Hrm? Doesn't that deck use Snapcaster Mage? That's certainly not a Common/Uncommon and it's one of the three most expensive cards in Innistrad (the other two being Liliana and Geist).

Granted, you can do without it, but the card is pretty incredible.

However it also relies somewhat heavily on Phyrexian Mana spells so I don't know how well it will survive rotation. But there are a lot of one mana Blue spells in Innistrad Block(Silent Departure probably being the biggest candidate).
    Silent Departure isn't that great. I'd go with Unsummon over it any day. Actually I'd take Vapor Snag over both, but that's rotating out, and Unsummon is the next best thing. The fact Silent Departure is a Sorcery limits its usefulness considerably.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Hrm? Doesn't that deck use Snapcaster Mage? That's certainly not a Common/Uncommon and it's one of the three most expensive cards in Innistrad (the other two being Liliana and Geist).

Granted, you can do without it, but the card is pretty incredible.
    Snapcaster is very bad in that deck considering all it wants to do is dump instants and sorceries into the yard, and Snapcaster doesn't do that and is actually a very marginal creature to attach a pike too due to not having evasion and/or hexproof. The deck does rely somewhat heavily on Inkmoth Nexus for its Oops I Win draws and I'm not sure what is available to replace it.

Silent Departure isn't that great. I'd go with Unsummon over it any day. Actually I'd take Vapor Snag over both, but that's rotating out, and Unsummon is the next best thing. The fact Silent Departure is a Sorcery limits its usefulness considerably.
    I've found Silent Departure to be pretty good(though its not Vapor Snag), but its certainly better than Unsummon in any aggro deck where your not looking for a tempo gain but just a way to bounce blockers. Its very overshadowed by Snapcaster however, which does everything it does, and more, and adds a 2/1 flash body as well. That being said, it's not good for the Mono-U Pike deck for the same reason Snapcaster isn't, as you don't want to be removing Instants and Sorceries from your graveyard.
    When you are first born, the universe assigns you a secret luck value. The quality of your life, dice rolls, and how friendly your DM is are all influenced by the luck value. It is the universe's secret social experiment. So if you been rolling poor, it is only because you were assigned low luck value by the universe. You can raise your luck value only through proper dice rolling rituals.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Any of the B/x Zombie builds are pretty budget with B/R probably the most maintainable post Rotation(B/U loses Phantasmal Image, B/G loses Birthing Pod, B/W isn't really a thing). The money cards being Gravecrawler, Geralf's Messanger, and Falkenrath Aristocrat(If your B/R).
    And 4 Cavern of souls. Definately not budget.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Cizak View Post
    I'm gonna be against the flow here and say outlined.

What? Everyone else are against the flow too, okay?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    In the grim statistics of the far future, there is only math.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kneenibble View Post
    Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.
    And more in the extended signature!

Extended signature

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Seth View Post
    Isn't Cavern of Souls another card that has reached 20$/€ mark (it really saddens me that in Magic Dollar and Euro prices are most cases interchangeable. It seems to me that magic is much cheaper in the states that in Euro-land, also in terms of prices for packs and boxes. ) that constitutes a "chase-rare" ?

11. - Top - End - #251
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that you still want to play Snapcaster Mage in a deck that's trying to put lots of Instants and Sorceries into your graveyard. The first example of this deck I found plays Snapcaster Mage. You really do want it, it's just that good.

You really don't need Pike to be much more than +5/+0. Sure, the extra point may matter here and there, but the value of Flashback providing additional cards is often so great that removing a few instants and sorceries from your graveyard doesn't end up hurting you too much.

12. - Top - End - #252

Speaking of Mr. Bolas, I had my own variation of the deck I aim to try. Its more of a U/G Fog deck than a Grixis type control scheme, and was wondering what comments and sideboard suggestions could be made:

24 Lands
    9x Islands
    3x Swamps
    1x Mountain
    11x Forests

12 Creatures
    4x Augur of Bolas
    4x Arbor Elf
    4x Borderland Ranger

20 Spells
    4x Divination
    4x Sleep
    4x Abundant Growth
    4x Fog
    4x Rampant Growth

4 Planeswalkers
    1x Karn
    3x Nicol Bolas

Its played out fine, and I've never failed to play Bolas when he appears. Any ideas on what e trimmable, and what might make for a more solid play?
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

I'm not evil. My morals just aren't the same as society's.

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Foeofthelance View Post
    Speaking of Mr. Bolas, I had my own variation of the deck I aim to try. Its more of a U/G Fog deck than a Grixis type control scheme, and was wondering what comments and sideboard suggestions could be made:

24 Lands
    9x Islands
    3x Swamps
    1x Mountain
    11x Forests

12 Creatures
    4x Augur of Bolas
    4x Arbor Elf
    4x Borderland Ranger

20 Spells
    4x Divination
    4x Sleep
    4x Abundant Growth
    4x Fog
    4x Rampant Growth

4 Planeswalkers
    1x Karn
    3x Nicol Bolas

Its played out fine, and I've never failed to play Bolas when he appears. Any ideas on what e trimmable, and what might make for a more solid play?
    Does divination really do enough? And have you considered fog bank? And dual lands, you need dual lands.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Most Hilarious Murderer in the Playground. Both his episodes of hysterically ending my life left me chuckling even hours later when I thought about them.

Extended signature

14. - Top - End - #254

I considered Fog Bank, but it doesnt do enough in the long run. And the problem with the dual lands is they cant be searched for.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

On a one man quest to beat the Star Wars Universe, using nothing but simple, plain, ordinary logic. Score so far: Me 593 SWU 450

15. - Top - End - #255
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    You really don't need Cavern and for some builds its very detrimental to your mana base. In general Cavern is pretty overrated right now because its so good. What deck is actually trying to counter your creatures? Delver sides out its Mana Leaks against almost every deck, and Control decks side them out against Zombies for more removal and Wraths. Yes it fixes for your Zombies, but unless Your U/B they all cost black anyway and if your name anything else then it really hurts you when you can't cast turn 3 Messanger or play Gravecraweler 5 times from your graveyard. Ideally you want all your lands to tap for B, and while you can rely on Cavern to do that I don't see what it adds to the deck that additional swamps wouldn't. No one in their right mind should have any counter spells in their deck post board against you in which case Cavern is actually strictly worse than playing a swamp. It also doesn't work with the M12 duals.

I could see running it in U/B Zombies if your really needed Drowned Catacombs 9-12 for your lord, but aside from that I don't see why you would ever play cavern in one of these decks, as it simply doesn't do enough.

16. - Top - End - #256
    Titan in the Playground

Dissipate is actually a key weapon against Zombies for several decks.

17. - Top - End - #257
    Ogre in the Playground

I considered Fog Bank, but it doesnt do enough in the long run. And the problem with the dual lands is they cant be searched for.
    Yeah, but you're not searching for forests (cause if you can search, you already have green mana), so you can replace some of the forests with duals that include green.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Dissipate is actually a key weapon against Zombies for several decks.
    What? Dissipate does absolutely nothing against Zombies. If you hold up three mana, they don't play what you want to dissipate(Messenger or Gravecrawler, and honestly spending 3 mana to counter a gravecrawler is not a good deal), and instead lay down a Blood Artist or one of their other two drops and attack you. Or they play nothing and then throw a burn spell at you at the end of your turn.

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

They do play things if you are playing a deck that forces them to do things. Which isn't that hard if you try hard enough. Dissipate generally gets played against Zombies when it is available. It costs you almost no value to play Cavern, so many people do. The effect does matter.

20. - Top - End - #260
    Ogre in the Playground

24 Lands
    9x Islands
    3x Swamps
    1x Mountain
    11x Forests

12 Creatures
    4x Augur of Bolas
    4x Arbor Elf
    4x Borderland Ranger

20 Spells
    4x Divination
    4x Sleep
    4x Abundant Growth
    4x Fog
    4x Rampant Growth

4 Planeswalkers
    1x Karn
    3x Nicol Bolas

I've tested your list against a Tempered Steel deck.
    All the Vault Skirges, Signal Pests and Glint Hawk Idols just flew over the heads of the Arbor Elfs, Rangers and Augurs and it was quickly over.
    But then again, Tempered Steel is about to rotate and I also discovered that my Tempered Steel deck wasn't even Standard legal (it contained Old Mirrodin artifact lands and Spring Leaf Drums).

So, I quickly threw together a cheapskate standard legal U/W Weenie deck:
    Spoiler
    Show

20 Lands
    10x Plains
    6x Island
    4x Glacial Fortress

24 Creatures
    4x War Falcon
    2x Doomed Traveler
    3x Loyal Cathar
    3x Knight of Glory
    4x Attended Knight
    3x Arctic Aven
    2x Crusader of Odric
    2x Odric, Master Tactician
    1x Captain of the Watch

16 Spells
    2x Unsummon
    3x Negate
    2x Essence Scatter
    3x Feeling of Dread
    3x Oblivion Ring
    1x Ghostly Flicker
    2x Captains Call

Please do note that I have "constructed" this deck in about 5 minutes.

The results were, in the end, not all that different as against Tempered Steel: your deck has no defense against fliers.
    Fog and Sleep did manage to stall the game for a while, long enough to drop Nicol. But Nicol isn't really good against Weenies. Sure, you can take control over one guy out of a million. In my test games, Nicol was either countered right away, or killed/O-Ringed in the following turn - if the game actually lasted longer then the next turn.

Form these experiences I would say: you need defense against fliers. You also need actual board sweepers: Nicol alone cannot hold off an army by himself.
    I also stand by my advice to replace some of the forests with dual lands.

But it is a fun deck to play with. The stalling with Fog and Sleep (aided by Augur of Bolas) does work reasonable well. Arbor Elf and Abundant Growth work well together.
    Last edited by Zombimode; 2012-07-20 at 06:50 PM.

21. - Top - End - #261

Yeah, after a very numerous amount of thorough losses, it looks like the deck seriously needs to be re ordered. The blue half just didn't hole up at all, even when I sideboarded out for counters. Someone suggested Thragtusk, and if I can get them I will. I am also considering cutting down a few more for Talrand, to see if I can't get a small army while doing other things.
    Basilisk 6
    Pilot of the Thing

22. - Top - End - #262
    Troll in the Playground

Snapcaster is very bad in that deck considering all it wants to do is dump instants and sorceries into the yard, and Snapcaster doesn't do that and is actually a very marginal creature to attach a pike too due to not having evasion and/or hexproof. The deck does rely somewhat heavily on Inkmoth Nexus for its Oops I Win draws and I'm not sure what is available to replace it.
    You're thoroughly underestimating the power of Snapcaster Mage...though to be fair I kind of did at first also. Sure, Snapcaster removes an Instant/Sorcery card from your graveyard, which does slightly depower Runechanter's Pike, but the fact you can cast it again kind of makes up for that (not to mention you don't always have a Runechanter's Pike in the first place). And even ignoring its flashback ability, a 2/1 with Flash for 1U is not a bad deal.

I've found Silent Departure to be pretty good(though its not Vapor Snag), but its certainly better than Unsummon in any aggro deck where your not looking for a tempo gain but just a way to bounce blockers. Its very overshadowed by Snapcaster however, which does everything it does, and more, and adds a 2/1 flash body as well. That being said, it's not good for the Mono-U Pike deck for the same reason Snapcaster isn't, as you don't want to be removing Instants and Sorceries from your graveyard.
    The lack of Instant speed instead of Sorcery is still killer, though, in my opinion. I just don't think it's worth it to depower the card just for a fairly expensive flashback cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjaman View Post
    Enh...not really. The Mono-Blue build that took 4th at the most recent SCG Open (here) didn't play any outside of 1 in its sideboard. Now to be fair it's a different deck than what we're talking about (it's not quite mono-Blue either, due to the Restoration Angels in the sideboard), but it's clearly not as vital as Snapcaster Mage.

The highest-placing deck that looks to be exactly what we're talking about (that is, actually mono-Blue) is this one, which took 25th (which still isn't bad out of 400+) and played zero Cavern of Souls.

Even assuming Cavern of Souls might be worth playing, as a 4 of it makes no sense. While the fact it can make creatures uncounterable is nice, don't forget the other big reason it gets played in U/W Delver: Mana fixing for Geists and Restoration Angels. That means that a mono-Blue Delver deck has less of a reason to play it, so it makes no sense to play with more of them.

23. - Top - End - #263
    Orc in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    They do play things if you are playing a deck that forces them to do things. Which isn't that hard if you try hard enough. Dissipate generally gets played against Zombies when it is available. It costs you almost no value to play Cavern, so many people do. The effect does matter.
    What deck is proactive and plays Dissipate in Standard? Esper Control and U/B play it but they are the definition of reactive decks. It might be in the sideboard of Delver, but their boarding in Celestial Purge and whatever other aggro hate they have.

I've played quite a bit with Zombies and I've never had Cavern matter, nor have I seen Cavern matter in any Zombies vs. Deck with Counterspells game I've seen. At that point you're just playing a strictly worse Swamp. Sure its only about .5%(if that) worse, but its still worse. If your playing Cavern you have to be playing it for the manafixing, not the anti-counter part.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ogre in the Playground

got bored, made deck:

Spoiler
    Show

Creatures
    4 Roaring Primadox
    3 Augur of Bolas
    3 Elvish Visionary
    3 Neurok Invisimancer
    2 Talrand, Sky Summoner
    1 Acidic Slime
    1 Archaeomancer
    land
    10 Forest
    10 Island
    other
    4 Rancor
    3 Essence Scatter
    3 Negate
    3 Divination
    2 Prey Upon
    4 Talrand's Invocation
    2 Downpour
    2 Untamed Might

sideboard
    4 Corrosive Gale
    1 Negate
    1 Essence Scatter
    4 Spider Spawning
    4 Primal Huntbeast
    1 Daybreak Ranger

my sorcery and instants are a mess...
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

25. - Top - End - #265
    Troll in the Playground

Back from my local PTQ. After an impressive start (3-0) I ended up not doing so well and finished with a 4-4. The most frustrating thing is that I have a feeling I would've done better if this had taken place a few weeks ago, because most (maybe all, it's kind of a blur) of my losses were to decks using Rancor.

26. - Top - End - #266
    Titan in the Playground

What deck is proactive and plays Dissipate in Standard? Esper Control and U/B play it but they are the definition of reactive decks. It might be in the sideboard of Delver, but their boarding in Celestial Purge and whatever other aggro hate they have.

I've played quite a bit with Zombies and I've never had Cavern matter, nor have I seen Cavern matter in any Zombies vs. Deck with Counterspells game I've seen. At that point you're just playing a strictly worse Swamp. Sure its only about .5%(if that) worse, but its still worse. If your playing Cavern you have to be playing it for the manafixing, not the anti-counter part.
    It's not necessarily about proactivity. They just need to force you to play things and kill Gravecrawler.

It's more an issue, I think, that the invention of Cavern (among other cards) has made most of the decks that would use Dissipate either unplayable or seek other, less useless options. I do remember Dissipate being played in Zombies matchups specifically because it answered Gravecrawler and because you really couldn't afford to let Messenger resolve if you could help it.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-07-23 at 02:32 AM.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

So, getting back into magic again. I built an MBC/Midrange deck, and it actually tied for first place at FNM last Friday (Granted, this is mostly because better players, with better decks, were paired against each other while my round 3 opponent's deck completely and totally failed him, and round 4 was a roughly even match I won because I had more threats)

The deck
    Spoiler
    Show

Lands:
    24 Swamps (How Many Ghost Quarters should I add? One of my most painful matchups in casual play was against nephalia drownyard)

Creatures:
    4x Vampire Nighthawk
    4x Geralf's Messenger
    2x Phyrexian Obliterator

Other Spells
    3x Duress
    3x Tragic Slip
    2x Despise
    4x Sign in Blood
    2x Go for the throat
    2x Black Sun's Zenith
    3x Dismember
    2x Liliana of the Viel
    3x Lashwrithe
    2x Mutilate

Sideboard
    1x Duress
    1x Tragic Slip
    1x Lashwrithe
    2x Despise
    2x Nihl Spellbomb
    3x Ratchetbomb
    2x Victim of the Night (From here on in, this is just filler that was considered for the deck at one point, and was on hand when I needed to fill out the sideboard)
    2x Tribute to Hunger
    1x Killing Wave

Thoughts? I have a Liliana of the Dark Realms (from the prize packs*), a third Obliterator I traded for, a Batterskull (Which struck me as a pretty nifty way of winning wars of attrition when I saw it in the mirror match), and a pair of Wurmcoil Engines I'm considering putting in, and I know I should probably add some Tormod's Crypts into the sideboard for more graveyard hate.

*My FNM charges a $5 entry fee, but all that money goes to prize packs, and they give everyone who doesn't win packs some sort of promo card, be it a left over pre-release foil, a game-day full art, or the like.

Also, my Current EDH is still a work in progress. Any recomendations about changes?
    Spoiler
    Show

General: Merieke Ri Berit

Lands:
    4x Plains
    4x Islands
    4x Swamp
    Terramorphic Expanse
    Caves of Koilos
    Evolving Wilds
    Isolated Chapel
    Azorius Chancery
    Urborg
    Seat of the Synod
    Strip Mine
    Rupture Spire
    Tectonic Edge
    Dimir Aqueduct
    Celestial Colonnade
    Academy Ruins
    Drowned Catacomb
    Command Tower
    Ancient Den
    Vault of Whispers
    Creeping Tar Pit
    Sunken Ruins
    Orzhov Basilica
    Glacial Fortress
    Vesuva
    Total: 34 (Should I raise this?)

Counterspells
    Counterspell
    Cancel
    Mindbreak Trap
    Spell Crumple
    Cryptic Command
    Undermine
    Last Word
    Hinder
    Total: 8

Mass Removal
    Oblivion Stone
    Rout
    Living Death
    Day of Judgement
    Wrath of God
    Decree of Pain
    Akroma's Vengeance
    Austere Command

Single Target Removal
    Duplicant
    Profane Command
    Spin Into Myth
    Enslave
    Volition Reins
    Blatant Thievery
    Oblivion Ring
    Total: 7

Tutors
    Diabolic Tutor
    Journeyer's Kite
    Tezzeret the Seeker
    Expedition Map
    Demonic Tutor
    Weathered Wayfarer
    Liliana Vess
    Trinket Mage
    Mystical Teachings
    Land Tax
    Mystical Tutor
    Total: 11

Cantrips
    Telling Time
    Brainstorm
    Forbidden Alchemy
    Preordain
    Ponder
    Diabolic Vision
    Total: 6

Card Draw
    Phyrexian Arena
    Promise of Power
    Rhystic Study
    Mind's Eye
    Fact or Fiction
    Jace Beleren
    Deep Analysis

Threats
    Time Stretch
    Sun Titan
    Akroma, Angel of Wrath
    Spinx of the Steel Wind
    Acquire
    Debtor's Knell
    Adarkar Valkyrie
    Aeon Chronicler
    Blazing Archon
    Elspeth, Knight Errant

Miscellanea
    Dark Steel Ingot
    Lightning Greaves
    Sol Ring
    Marshal's Anthem
    Phyrexian Metamorph
    Tormod's Crypt

Oh, hey, I'm 1 card short. Huh.

Also, Card's I'm considering Adding
    Animate Dead
    Reanimate
    Ambition's Cost
    Galvanic Alchemist (Untapping Krieke Ri Berit is fun!)
    Crab Umbra (See above)
    Freed from the Real (Cheapest untapping effect)
    Armillary Sphere
    Solemn Simulacrum
    Swords to Plowshares
    Path to Exile
    Reya Dawnbringer
    Temple of the False God
    Coalition Relic
    Archon of Justice
    Necromancer's Covenant
    Condemn
    Diabolic Revelations
    Gilded Lotus
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

28. - Top - End - #268

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Also, my Current EDH is still a work in progress. Any recomendations about changes?
    Spoiler
    Show

General: Merieke Ri Berit

Lands:
    4x Plains
    4x Islands
    4x Swamp
    Terramorphic Expanse
    Caves of Koilos
    Evolving Wilds
    Isolated Chapel
    Azorius Chancery
    Urborg
    Seat of the Synod
    Strip Mine
    Rupture Spire
    Tectonic Edge
    Dimir Aqueduct
    Celestial Colonnade
    Academy Ruins
    Drowned Catacomb
    Command Tower
    Ancient Den
    Vault of Whispers
    Creeping Tar Pit
    Sunken Ruins
    Orzhov Basilica
    Glacial Fortress
    Vesuva
    Total: 34 (Should I raise this?)

Counterspells
    Counterspell
    Cancel
    Mindbreak Trap
    Spell Crumple
    Cryptic Command
    Undermine
    Last Word
    Hinder

Mass Removal
    Oblivion Stone
    Rout
    Living Death
    Day of Judgement
    Wrath of God
    Decree of Pain
    Akroma's Vengeance
    Austere Command

Single Target Removal
    Duplicant
    Profane Command
    Spin Into Myth
    Enslave
    Volition Reins
    Blatant Thievery
    Oblivion Ring

Tutors
    Diabolic Tutor
    Journeyer's Kite
    Tezzeret the Seeker
    Expedition Map
    Demonic Tutor
    Weathered Wayfarer
    Liliana Vess
    Trinket Mage
    Mystical Teachings
    Land Tax
    Mystical Tutor

Cantrips
    Telling Time
    Brainstorm
    Forbidden Alchemy
    Preordain
    Ponder
    Diabolic Vision

Card Draw
    Phyrexian Arena
    Promise of Power
    Rhystic Study
    Mind's Eye
    Fact or Fiction
    Jace Beleren
    Deep Analysis

Threats
    Time Stretch
    Sun Titan
    Akroma, Angel of Wrath
    Spinx of the Steel Wind
    Acquire
    Debtor's Knell
    Adarkar Valkyrie
    Aeon Chronicler
    Blazing Archon
    Elspeth, Knight Errant

Miscellanea
    Dark Steel Ingot
    Lightning Greaves
    Sol Ring
    Marshal's Anthem
    Phyrexian Metamorph
    Tormod's Crypt

Oh, hey, I'm 1 card short. Huh.

Also, Card's I'm considering Adding
    Animate Dead
    Reanimate
    Ambition's Cost
    Galvanic Alchemist (Untapping Krieke Ri Berit is fun!)
    Crab Umbra (See above)
    Freed from the Real (Cheapest untapping effect)
    Armillary Sphere
    Solemn Simulacrum
    Swords to Plowshares
    Path to Exile
    Reya Dawnbringer
    Temple of the False God
    Coalition Relic
    Archon of Justice
    Necromancer's Covenant
    Condemn
    Diabolic Revelations
    Gilded Lotus
    Cabal Coffers, Penmin's Aura, Armageddon, City of Brass, Necropotence, Iona, Braids, etc.

Check out my Merieke Deck: A Knife at your Throat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    So, getting back into magic again. I built an MBC/Midrange deck, and it actually tied for first place at FNM last Friday (Granted, this is mostly because better players, with better decks, were paired against each other while my round 3 opponent's deck completely and totally failed him, and round 4 was a roughly even match I won because I had more threats)

The deck
    Spoiler
    Show

Lands:
    24 Swamps (How Many Ghost Quarters should I add? One of my most painful matchups in casual play was against nephalia drownyard)

Creatures:
    4x Vampire Nighthawk
    4x Geralf's Messenger
    2x Phyrexian Obliterator

Other Spells
    3x Duress
    3x Tragic Slip
    2x Despise
    4x Sign in Blood
    2x Go for the throat
    2x Black Sun's Zenith
    3x Dismember
    2x Liliana of the Viel
    3x Lashwrithe
    2x Mutilate

Sideboard
    1x Duress
    1x Tragic Slip
    1x Lashwrithe
    2x Despise
    2x Nihl Spellbomb
    3x Ratchetbomb
    2x Victim of the Night (From here on in, this is just filler that was considered for the deck at one point, and was on hand when I needed to fill out the sideboard)
    2x Tribute to Hunger
    1x Killing Wave
    4 Obliterators, it is that good.
    More board wipe, at least in board.
    More sac effects, at least in board.
    Remove killing wave.

Thoughts? I have a Liliana of the Dark Realms (from the prize packs*), a third Obliterator I traded for, a Batterskull (Which struck me as a pretty nifty way of winning wars of attrition when I saw it in the mirror match), and a pair of Wurmcoil Engines I'm considering putting in, and I know I should probably add some Tormod's Crypts into the sideboard for more graveyard hate.
    Don't use crypts, use spell bombs instead, i see you already have some, put more in if you want to but 2 should be enough.
    Liliana of the dark realms is not good enough to use.
    Batterskull and wurmcoils might work.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #270
    Titan in the Playground

Forum Question: What color(s) should the following effect be?

Target creature gets -1/-1 and loses flying until end of turn.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-07-24 at 02:47 AM.