New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 6212223242526272829303132333435363738394041 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #901
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: My Little Pony XLVIII: I say Ol' Chap, how about those Equestrians?

I had one involving Discord the other day (call it a draconequus dream, I suppose). A bunch of guys in armor were gearing up to attack his stronghold...the most well fortified storage unit ever. And when they were charging it, he popped out to taunt them, while being inside at the same time. Would call it a weird dream, but it involved Discord. The whole thing almost made sense, for him.
    Last edited by RdMarquis; 2012-07-10 at 09:17 PM.

2. - Top - End - #902
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqoul View Post
    Changeling Core+WoD Core: All you need.
    Many thanks. Not sure where I could reasonably pick these up in Japan, but I'll think of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    ...I wish I still wrote like that. It's been too long.
    I should write more.
    Like that crazy shipfic you thought of all those threads ago?

In other news, tomorrow happens to be my birthday. But seeing how I'm in Japan, the LAND OF THE FUTURE, it is already tomorrow. So...I think it's my birthday? Maybe? This whole time-zone thing is baffling at best.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

3. - Top - End - #903
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    In other news, tomorrow happens to be my birthday. But seeing how I'm in Japan, the LAND OF THE FUTURE, it is already tomorrow. So...I think it's my birthday? Maybe? This whole time-zone thing is baffling at best.
    Well, Happy Birthday
    Spoiler
    Show

Enjoy your cake

4. - Top - End - #904
    Ettin in the Playground

Hmm, question for ponythread. I know we had this discussion a while back, but with the completion of Season Two, what would be the best introductory episodes for a complete newbie to MLP?

This may or may not be in relation to an upcoming trip I'm taking this weekend with some friends

A Bird in the Hoof is one I like.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #905
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Happy (future) Birthday!
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #906
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Hmm, question for ponythread. I know we had this discussion a while back, but with the completion of Season Two, what would be the best introductory episodes for a complete newbie to MLP?

This may or may not be in relation to an upcoming trip I'm taking this weekend with some friends

I personally recommend Return to Harmony, Lesson Zero, or maybe even The Royal Wedding.

I'd personally hold off on the royal wedding as a last resort as that episode is too good to show first

From season 1 I would DEFINITELY recommend Bridle Gossip.
    I laughed all too hard with that one
    Last edited by domin8r; 2012-07-10 at 09:12 PM.

7. - Top - End - #907
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I almost want to say A Canterlot Wedding, because it makes the most sense if you stick it near the front. Maybe right after Friendship is Magic part 2.... There would be no confusion as to the sibling that never comes up.

But honestly I think Ticketmaster is best, simply because Friendship is Magic Part II is so... Simple. You know who is what element and that they are the elements before they even leave the library (the whole sound effect while blinking thing is jarring!) Part I is actually much better IMO, and does a wonderful job of setting up the story. Part II needs to be remade into a movie or something, so it gets past the "each person does a token example of their element" factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

8. - Top - End - #908
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Personally, I would say either Bridle Gossip or Friend In Deed. After that, show them the first two episodes just to give them a good rundown on who the main characters are, what the EoH are, and who the buck Princess Luna is.
    Quote Originally Posted by domin8r View Post
    I personally recommend Return to Harmony, Lesson Zero, or maybe even The Royal Wedding.

I'd personally hold off on the royal wedding as a last resort as that episode is too good to show first
    While those are all very good episodes, they would probably give newcomers the wrong idea about the show, since two of those are adventure episodes and the other one is a very random and wacky episode.

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-07-10 at 09:51 PM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

9. - Top - End - #909
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    If you ask me, you must start at the begininning. But then, I'm particular about that.

I do think though that it's not absolutely necessary to find that one perfect show-in-a-nutshell episode as seems to be the accepted wisdom sometimes. Sometimes it's okay to just watch a thing in order.

10. - Top - End - #910
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    ..... Just wanted to do a quick look and did I just read
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Human spaceship"?
    Yes. Story also features massive and repeated explosions, interdimensional horrors, meteor strikes, and a zombie apocalypse.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    What was your friendship element again?
    Surprise!

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    I dot recall ever seeing a WoD corebook for old world of darkness though, which means there was no real unified rule set. You could be a vampire werewolf though, which was something even the black spiral dancers loathed conceptually. they did a terrible job of marrying the fluff across games in retrospect. Too many "correct" and provable cosmologies.
    There was no oWoD corebook. They had to reprint the same 40 pages of basic game mechanics in each of the lines. Spinning all that out into a single corebook was one of their best decisions with nWoD.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    Thanqol's story is now up on Equestria Daily!

And the comment section is a bunch of people being hipsters and complaining about human-obsessed Lyra. Tell me, Thanqol, how does this make you feel?
    But... but chapter six!

Honestly? I'm just glad the star system is dead. Those are the guys who would have starbombed it out of petty spite and now they're forced to articulate their opinions and look silly and bitter.

Also I got 2100 new views and 150 new favourites out of it, so y'know, frack'm.

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Just finished chapter 1. I'll get to the rest later, but so far this is turning out to be great.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm loving your characterization of Bon Bon. She just works at Lyra's unwilling sidekick. Might explain why she's so abrasive sometimes. Was your idea for how magic works inspired by anything? Also?

“How’s your house?” asked the cashier as Bon Bon hurried past him yet again.

“Not dead yet, but it will be,” said Bon Bon.

That's just a brilliant exchange.
    ^^
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-07-10 at 09:36 PM.

11. - Top - End - #911
    Orc in the Playground

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have some home made cupcakes, fresh right of the oven:
    Spoiler
    Show

So far I used Lesson Zero and It's about time to show the true potential of not being a girly show.
    If your approach is other, your results may vary and might wanna try with The return of Harmony, but besides the crazyness I thought is not so good to true newbies.
    Last edited by Zigg'rrauglurr; 2012-07-10 at 09:49 PM.
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Blackwing: I prefer to think of myself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur.

Forum Explorer: Reading or watching Cupcakes is like being shot. We honor your suffering but nobody wants it to happen.

12. - Top - End - #912
    Bugbear in the Playground

Y'know, I've never really seen a good reason for starting people-in-general at an episode other than the first. Maybe if it's a specific person that you think would like a specific episode more, but apart from that...

Also, I would not under any circumstances start someone with Lesson Zero. Any more than I'd start them with Look Before You Sleep or The Mysterious Mare-Do-Well. I daresay the first of those mentioned is a good episode by some lights, but it is not in any way representative of either the show or most of the characters. Nor, more to the point, is it an episode I can watch comfortably.
    Level 4 Bibliophile/Level 3 Bard, working toward the Bibliomancer Prestige Class

Brandon Sanderson recommender... In The Playground!

13. - Top - End - #913
    Titan in the Playground

Many thanks. Not sure where I could reasonably pick these up in Japan, but I'll think of something.

Like that crazy shipfic you thought of all those threads ago?

Happy Birthday!

Now, how close are you to Tokyo? I might do some leg work for you and find a place that sells those books. I'm thinking the Akihabara maybe. Or y'know, Amazon does ship worldwide.

Spoiler
    Show
    I like "Fall Weather Friends" as an intro. Has some action, tighter focus (you can explain Rainbow Dash and Applejack without having to show the intro episodes first), and it's a solid episode with a good moral. Then show the two-part opener so they get the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post

But... but chapter six!

Honestly? I'm just glad the star system is dead. Those are the guys who would have starbombed it out of petty spite and now they're forced to articulate their opinions and look silly and bitter.

Also I got 2100 new views and 150 new favourites out of it, so y'know, frack'm.
    Don't you basically run on petty spite?
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

14. - Top - End - #914
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

you are a frakkin PIRATE
    you are simply pillaging(plundering?) a 2nd day of birthdayness

perfectly understandable
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

15. - Top - End - #915
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Happy Birthday!

Now, how close are you to Tokyo? I might do some leg work for you and find a place that sells those books. I'm thinking the Akihabara maybe. Or y'know, Amazon does ship worldwide.
    I'm actually in Osaka, a good distance away. Also, I'd rather not incur massive shipping costs through Amazon, though if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

16. - Top - End - #916

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Don't you basically run on petty spite?
    Yeah, and when my spiteful side comes out I'd want people to say "Frack him" to me too.

17. - Top - End - #917
    Firbolg in the Playground

Hmm what do pirates like for birthdays? Robots, right Amish? Here ya go
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

18. - Top - End - #918
    Banned

I have just the thing for this situation!

Spoiler
    Show

I keep those frames of the past stashed around the thread. In case of sanity emergency.

19. - Top - End - #919
    Ogre in the Playground

So, life update for those not on IRC. Mrs Dexam and the mini-Dex have been sick with a nasty head cold, and I've been looking after them for the last two days. This is not exactly a fun thing, as Mrs D turns into a right *rhymes-with-witch* when she gets sick. In the mean time, I'm supposed to be part-covering for my manager while he's on leave, plus dealing with my own backlog of work which keeps on piling up, so two days off work hasn't helped there.

Between the wife and the foal, I got about 4 hours of sleep last night (the biggest stretch being between 6 AM and 8 AM) and I'm back at work today (got in really late, of course) trying to deal with some of this backlog. Reading Ponythread on my lunch break, and feels like the biggest, funnest, craziest party is happening on the other side of a wall with 'RESPONSIBILITY' painted all over it.

The only silver lining, (and thus keeping this post at least once removed from Ponies) is that Mrs D likes to watch cartoons when she's ill, so we've been working our way through Season 2. She enjoys the show, but she's not obsessed (like I am ) and I doubt she'd ever get involved with the fandom. The mini-Dex recognises the intro- and outro- music, and turns to look at the TV whenever it plays.

Anyway, back the grindstone...

20. - Top - End - #920
    Titan in the Playground

That took so many reloads but I did it!

Terror Attack 1
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned what the aliens were doing in North Africa. It seems they were planning an attack on the Human city of Casablanca. As soon as we could we rushed over there. Oh Celestia it was awful. The smoke, the screams, the smell of the blood, all of it combining to form an horrifying numbing din. For the first time I truly understood why the Humans summoned us. When the dust cleared the crowds of cheering Humans as they came up and thanked us left me speechless. I've got no more doubts about their cause, we must stop this conflict and protect these people the best we can.

We saw a new type of alien as well. These looked like primal beasts and acted as little more then attack dogs. Still we unloaded entire clips of ammo into them in order to bring them down. Only the tank's heavy weaponry, as well as Pinkie and Big Mac's guns could take them down with any speed. Despite the logistical difficulties getting that tank it proved its worth today. At the end of the battle it had long gashes in it's armor from intercepting the beasts. I shudder to think what those claws and teeth would have done to a pony.

It nearly stopped my heart when that explosive round hit near you and Rainbow Dash. I couldn't help but cry in relief when Luna reported that you were both OK. I cheered when Luna's first aid got you back on your hooves. Still that was far too close and despite Pinkie's best efforts, Rainbow Dash remained unconscious for the rest of the battle. Again the tank proved it's worth as a scout, by revealing ambushes and absorbing small arms fire.

Since we've gotten back Fluttershy hasn't left Rainbow Dash alone. I guess that's not unusual. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were always particularly close and it must be killing Fluttershy every time we leave on a mission. I guess she's feeling like some dead weight right now but honestly I don't think she could handle what we just faced. Nopony got promoted again. Perhaps they can only have four sergeants per squad? That makes much more sense.

I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight as I'll have nightmares for sure. Um, if it's not too much to ask, can I spend the night with you?

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle.

No casualties on my part

But really without that tank I think over half my squad would have died. As is I had to reload a couple times so that most ponies would be alive. (Once because Cadance shot Trixie in the head. By accident. Another time one of the explosive shots killed five ponies and left Applejack unconscious and bleeding. )

I'm kinda curious though. Is it normal to get so many attacks and UFOs in the first month?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

21. - Top - End - #921
    Ogre in the Playground

Bow before your new Fluttershy overlord

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVdRt...ayer_embedded#!

22. - Top - End - #922
    Titan in the Playground

Well as far as legal options go there always buying pdfs online.

23. - Top - End - #923
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    So, life update for those not on IRC. Mrs Dexam and the mini-Dex have been sick with a nasty head cold, and I've been looking after them for the last two days. This is not exactly a fun thing, as Mrs D turns into a right *rhymes-with-witch* when she gets sick. In the mean time, I'm supposed to be part-covering for my manager while he's on leave, plus dealing with my own backlog of work which keeps on piling up, so two days off work hasn't helped there.

Between the wife and the foal, I got about 4 hours of sleep last night (the biggest stretch being between 6 AM and 8 AM) and I'm back at work today (got in really late, of course) trying to deal with some of this backlog. Reading Ponythread on my lunch break, and feels like the biggest, funnest, craziest party is happening on the other side of a wall with 'RESPONSIBILITY' painted all over it.

The only silver lining, (and thus keeping this post at least once removed from Ponies) is that Mrs D likes to watch cartoons when she's ill, so we've been working our way through Season 2. She enjoys the show, but she's not obsessed (like I am ) and I doubt she'd ever get involved with the fandom. The mini-Dex recognises the intro- and outro- music, and turns to look at the TV whenever it plays.

Anyway, back the grindstone...
    That happens. If it makes you feel Better, we aren't really partying. I just happened to have a rather crappy weekend and put my whole "find a job that actually pays bills" thin on temporary hiatus (read: slept in >.<) and so have artificially inflated our pony speed.

Oh! And I sort of convinced Anarion I slake my PbP thirst with another changeling game. But that's actually a thing that will... Uh... Huh.
    Actually, how long does a normal PbP game last?

24. - Top - End - #924

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Oh! And I sort of convinced Anarion I slake my PbP thirst with another changeling game. But that's actually a thing that will... Uh... Huh.
    Actually, how long does a normal PbP game last?
    If it gets past the initial 6-month hump? 2-3 years or longer.

90% of PBPs die in the first 6 months, and that's a lowball estimate.

25. - Top - End - #925
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks for the episode rec's everyone;

Will be adding a few episodes to the laptop based on those mentioned. We probably won't watch any but just in case.

Anyway, I've spent today reading the sourcebook for Roleplaying is Magic (among others) and it seems fairly straightforward, if rather flexible and seems focused mainly on encouraging co-operation between players in resolving challenges. This definitely gives it a pony flavour that might address your question earlier Siuis about what would make a RiM game a pony one.

... Interesting.

EDIT: @^: Well, that statistic doesn't do wonders to the ole confidence

26. - Top - End - #926
    Troll in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

it is with great fanfare that i announce i have fewer than 100 chapters to read on FimFiction for the 1st time in 6 months
    Ponies not only make ME want to be a better person than I was before they entered my life, they make me want to HELP OTHERS be better people too.

And that is a GOOD thing by any definition.

full size avatar

27. - Top - End - #927

EDIT: @^: Well, that statistic doesn't do wonders to the ole confidence
    I have absolutely no faith in the sustainability of PBPs. My games started number is somewhere around fifty while my games finished tally stands at three.

Those three games that finished were so utterly amazing that I keep ramming my head against this same wall. If I have to go through twenty failed games to get to one successful one it's worth it.

28. - Top - End - #928
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    it is with great fanfare that i announce i have fewer than 100 chapters to read on FimFiction for the 1st time in 6 months
    Are you reading everything that comes out?

29. - Top - End - #929
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I have absolutely no faith in the sustainability of PBPs. My games started number is somewhere around fifty while my games finished tally stands at three.

Those three games that finished were so utterly amazing that I keep ramming my head against this same wall. If I have to go through twenty failed games to get to one successful one it's worth it.
    Oh yeah. Being reminded of the statistics may be daunting, but hey. If you want to enjoy things, sometimes you just have to roll up the sleeves and do it anyway

Edit: I'm plagarising some of your opening post by the by Thanq

30. - Top - End - #930
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Just found out there is MLP on Pinterest. No sleep!