New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XLVIII: I say Ol' Chap, how about those Equestrians?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    So, life update for those not on IRC. Mrs Dexam and the mini-Dex have been sick with a nasty head cold, and I've been looking after them for the last two days. This is not exactly a fun thing, as Mrs D turns into a right *rhymes-with-witch* when she gets sick. In the mean time, I'm supposed to be part-covering for my manager while he's on leave, plus dealing with my own backlog of work which keeps on piling up, so two days off work hasn't helped there.

Between the wife and the foal, I got about 4 hours of sleep last night (the biggest stretch being between 6 AM and 8 AM) and I'm back at work today (got in really late, of course) trying to deal with some of this backlog. Reading Ponythread on my lunch break, and feels like the biggest, funnest, craziest party is happening on the other side of a wall with 'RESPONSIBILITY' painted all over it.

The only silver lining, (and thus keeping this post at least once removed from Ponies) is that Mrs D likes to watch cartoons when she's ill, so we've been working our way through Season 2. She enjoys the show, but she's not obsessed (like I am ) and I doubt she'd ever get involved with the fandom. The mini-Dex recognises the intro- and outro- music, and turns to look at the TV whenever it plays.

Anyway, back the grindstone...
    You have such an awesome family, seriously. Sure, you've got all the work now, but there will be payoffs enjoying good times later. Just be patient.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Oh! And I sort of convinced Anarion I slake my PbP thirst with another changeling game. But that's actually a thing that will... Uh... Huh.
    Actually, how long does a normal PbP game last?
    We're in convinced territory now. I have notes and a name. The name's a secret though, at least until I make an OOC thread.

Actually, if we're good here, can I get a finalized list of who's playing in this game? I'll get a thread up for discussion in several hours maybe, and then you can all try to learn the rules or we can arrange some chat times or whatever to discuss the rules (you should all spam Thanqol. Do it).

As far as length, I have a single, somewhat contained adventure planned, but beyond that and assuming I don't TPK you all you'll be pretty much free to do what you want within the setting. Party bus to closest big city totally acceptable.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-07-11 at 02:17 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #932
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BlasTech View Post
    Oh yeah. Being reminded of the statistics may be daunting, but hey. If you want to enjoy things, sometimes you just have to roll up the sleeves and do it anyway

Edit: I'm plagarising some of your opening post by the by Thanq
    You and everyone else.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Actually, if we're good here, can I get a finalized list of who's playing in this game? I'll get a thread up for discussion in several hours maybe, and then you can all try to learn the rules or we can arrange some chat times or whatever to discuss the rules (you should all spam Thanqol. Do it).

As far as length, I have a single, somewhat contained adventure planned, but beyond that and assuming I don't TPK you all you'll be pretty much free to do what you want within the setting. Party bus to closest big city totally acceptable.
    I can manage at least one post a day for this, likely more. I'm definitely interested.

And on the note of acting on responsibilities:

Ponythread LoL players! I'm going to try and shoot for some games at around 8pm EST tonight (that's Wednesday the 11th, to be specific). If you can show up, awesome. If you can't, we'll try to have more of these at other times so nopony gets left out. I think I have everypony's names down, and I'll do everything in my power to be up and about in time.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-07-11 at 02:44 AM.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    I have absolutely no faith in the sustainability of PBPs. My games started number is somewhere around fifty while my games finished tally stands at three.

Those three games that finished were so utterly amazing that I keep ramming my head against this same wall. If I have to go through twenty failed games to get to one successful one it's worth it.
    Like I said. Like hell I can't!
    Although that doesn't make as much sense as maybe ten minutes ago. Definitely bedtime.

We're in convinced territory now. I have notes and a name. The name's a secret though, at least until I make an OOC thread.

Myself, Brazen shield as the person I fill in every day since I gush about these things anyway, forum explorer, Amish pirate, Soras Teva gee. And presumably Thanqol? But I think he is currently awaiting a game of mage.

You and everyone else.
    darn tootin. Hell, even white Wolf is ripping you off! With their practical experience in Hunter: the vigil. "every time something that an experience happens you get experience."

There is something wrong with the industry that this feels novel XD

-

Lix; I have read your stuff; perfectly okay with you writing more ;)

5. - Top - End - #935
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Working on my fic has gotten me thinking about a question I'd like to pose to ponythread's fanfiction writers:
    Which pony do you think is the hardest to write dialog for?

Personally, I think the hardest is Pinkie Pie; writing for her seems to be a delicate balancing act between presenting her happy, cheerful, “Pinkieness”, without writing her as over-the-top hyper and annoying. What do you think?
    I have trouble writing for Pinkie Pie and Rarity. They're both so over the top, but in different ways.

Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    it is with great fanfare that i announce i have fewer than 100 chapters to read on FimFiction for the 1st time in 6 months
    You lucky dog. As of this writing, I have... 126 chapters in my favorites list, and another 31 stories in the "read later" list.

I'm not gonna get out of this alive, am I?
    I run a Let's Play channel! Check it out!
    Currently, we're playing through New Vegas as Gabriel de la Cruz, merchant and mercenary extraordinaire!

6. - Top - End - #936

Myself, Brazen shield as the person I fill in every day since I gush about these things anyway, forum explorer, Amish pirate, Soras Teva gee. And presumably Thanqol? But I think he is currently awaiting a game of mage.
    Yeah, I've actually got sufficient games to keep me thinking, and I shy away from large games as a matter of course. I'll let someone else take the spot and hope for more Mage

7. - Top - End - #937
    Titan in the Playground

You and everyone else.
    You write a quality OP and templates are one of the most awesome things ever when it comes to actually accomplishing tasks.

Yeah, I've actually got sufficient games to keep me thinking, and I shy away from large games as a matter of course. I'll let someone else take the spot and hope for more Mage
    Nah, I'm just going to close the spot. Siuis, Brazen Shield, Forum Explorer, Amishpirate, and Soras Teva Gee it is. You shall all receive a PM whenever I get around to making a thread. I hope you like Oklahoma.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

8. - Top - End - #938
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Just found out there is MLP on Pinterest. No sleep!

Hah, sleep? Who needs sleep when you got pony?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

9. - Top - End - #939
    Titan in the Playground

Nah, I'm just going to close the spot. Siuis, Brazen Shield, Forum Explorer, Amishpirate, and Soras Teva Gee it is. You shall all receive a PM whenever I get around to making a thread. I hope you like Oklahoma.
    Nooooooooo I'm allergic to Oklahoma!

10. - Top - End - #940
    Titan in the Playground

You know should I write up a report for every alien ship I take down?

UFO 6
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Princess Celestia,

We are now officially into our second month in this war. We were reviewed by the governments of the world and not only are they pleased with how things are going but have all decided to increase funding of our bases! The Humans faith in us truly is astounding. I hope we won't let them down.

Another UFO was shot down today, this time over Europe. Due to some bad timing we showed up at night. Since it was identified as a small UFO it was decided that the opportunity would be taken to test our night fighting skills. Luna was of course amazing. She quickly found the alien and broadcast it's location to the rest of the squad. Applejack gunned the alien down and the mission was over.

One of our quicker missions, that's for sure. May they all be that easy in the future!

Your Faithful Student,
    Twilight Sparkle

Something I want advice on is what I should have my scientists research and what is a waste of time. Any tips?
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

11. - Top - End - #941
    Ettin in the Playground

Boo, stop stealing posters!

12. - Top - End - #942
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    Nooooooooo I'm allergic to Oklahoma!
    No no no! It's okay, we can be cowboys. You've got the hat for it!

13. - Top - End - #943
    Titan in the Playground

Boo, stop stealing posters!
    I'm not stealing them, I'm giving them the opportunity to branch out into multiple threads.

No no no! It's okay, we can be cowboys. You've got the hat for it!
    You fail at sleeping.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

14. - Top - End - #944
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Siosilvar View Post
    Some people just don't want to have fun, do they?
    Some people don't. And I really don't get those kind of people.
    Sure life can be full of downers and bad luck, but you gotta find something you can take joy in and stick with it. I think we all can take a page from Pinkie Pie here... well, half of them are covered in frosting, but I'm sure there's something.

with the completion of Season Two, what would be the best introductory episodes for a complete newbie to MLP?
    I'll agree with Lesson Zero and the Canterlot Wedding.

I'm actually in Osaka, a good distance away.
    Happy birthday!
    My brother has been around Japan twice. He loves the place and wants to eventually move there perminantly. I don't know much about it, other than they have money with holes in it so you can string them together like necklaces and that's actually kinda neat.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

15. - Top - End - #945
    Spamalot in the Playground

Yeah, and when my spiteful side comes out I'd want people to say "Frack him" to me too.
    Really? That's kinda surprising. I thou-- oh. Element of surprise. I get it now.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

16. - Top - End - #946

Oh wow. My Perfect Arrow tabletop campaign just ended.

One player character became a Nazi. Like, an actual Nazi.

One player character joined the secret conspiracy of military leaders who run the world, sent Japan into a 20 year economic depression, and then became a sociopathic 'greater good' murder robot.

The third player became a worshipper of the sentient, evil dimension that hates everything and committed mass suicide with a cult of thousands.

Would you believe that the guy who became a Nazi was the most moral member of that party?

Japan went through a massive civil war and came out of it a third world nation, but the Nazi's faction were in charge. He then began planning on doing the same thing to America.

On the plus side... um, the God of Chaos didn't get released.

Wow.

That game.

And next session we're going to start a campaign of Genius: The Transgression. I'm thinking giant robots.

17. - Top - End - #947
    Titan in the Playground

Lix; I have read your stuff; perfectly okay with you writing more ;)
    ...which stuff?
    Should I be proud, or changing every username I use? (I have a spare one planned!)

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post

UFO 6
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Princess Celestia,

We are now officially into our second month in this war. We were reviewed by the governments of the world and not only are they pleased with how things are going but have all decided to increase funding of our bases! The Humans faith in us truly is astounding. I hope we won't let them down.

Another UFO was shot down today, this time over Europe. Due to some bad timing we showed up at night. Since it was identified as a small UFO it was decided that the opportunity would be taken to test our night fighting skills. Luna was of course amazing. She quickly found the alien and broadcast it's location to the rest of the squad. Applejack gunned the alien down and the mission was over.

One of our quicker missions, that's for sure. May they all be that easy in the future!

Your Faithful Student,
    Twilight Sparkle

Something I want advice on is what I should have my scientists research and what is a waste of time. Any tips?
    ...I think I have an ex-friend who LPd that game...
    (sads)

And next session we're going to start a campaign of Genius: The Transgression. I'm thinking giant robots.
    Aren't you always?

That post did not surprise me in any way. Because thanqol.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

18. - Top - End - #948
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zigg'rrauglurr View Post
    Eh? I just said that the "Brushie Pinkie Pie" that's on the picture only has the Cutie Mark on one flank, only on one side. And that my fiancee is upset about that.

Your picture was... Yeah... that...
    You said brushie brushie, I simply provided visual aid. :3

What what? *snerk*
    We shall never look at our trusted toothbrush in the same way again. .___.
    In other news, tomorrow happens to be my birthday. But seeing how I'm in Japan, the LAND OF THE FUTURE, it is already tomorrow. So...I think it's my birthday? Maybe? This whole time-zone thing is baffling at best.
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-07-11 at 08:26 AM.

19. - Top - End - #949
    Dwarf in the Playground

Morning everypony. Hope all is well. Dunno why I am posting something mundane. Anywho have a super day all!!
    If any of you wish to follow me my twitter is @RetroGamer1224. I am fun but #NSFW

20. - Top - End - #950
    Barbarian in the Playground

That took so many reloads but I did it!

Terror Attack 1
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Princess Celestia,

Today I learned what the aliens were doing in North Africa. It seems they were planning an attack on the Human city of Casablanca. As soon as we could we rushed over there. Oh Celestia it was awful. The smoke, the screams, the smell of the blood, all of it combining to form an horrifying numbing din. For the first time I truly understood why the Humans summoned us. When the dust cleared the crowds of cheering Humans as they came up and thanked us left me speechless. I've got no more doubts about their cause, we must stop this conflict and protect these people the best we can.

We saw a new type of alien as well. These looked like primal beasts and acted as little more then attack dogs. Still we unloaded entire clips of ammo into them in order to bring them down. Only the tank's heavy weaponry, as well as Pinkie and Big Mac's guns could take them down with any speed. Despite the logistical difficulties getting that tank it proved its worth today. At the end of the battle it had long gashes in it's armor from intercepting the beasts. I shudder to think what those claws and teeth would have done to a pony.

It nearly stopped my heart when that explosive round hit near you and Rainbow Dash. I couldn't help but cry in relief when Luna reported that you were both OK. I cheered when Luna's first aid got you back on your hooves. Still that was far too close and despite Pinkie's best efforts, Rainbow Dash remained unconscious for the rest of the battle. Again the tank proved it's worth as a scout, by revealing ambushes and absorbing small arms fire.

Since we've gotten back Fluttershy hasn't left Rainbow Dash alone. I guess that's not unusual. Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were always particularly close and it must be killing Fluttershy every time we leave on a mission. I guess she's feeling like some dead weight right now but honestly I don't think she could handle what we just faced. Nopony got promoted again. Perhaps they can only have four sergeants per squad? That makes much more sense.

I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight as I'll have nightmares for sure. Um, if it's not too much to ask, can I spend the night with you?

Your Faithful Student,

Twilight Sparkle.

No casualties on my part

But really without that tank I think over half my squad would have died. As is I had to reload a couple times so that most ponies would be alive. (Once because Cadance shot Trixie in the head. By accident. Another time one of the explosive shots killed five ponies and left Applejack unconscious and bleeding. )

I'm kinda curious though. Is it normal to get so many attacks and UFOs in the first month?
    Ah, saving and reloading, that explains the no deaths. The mission was floaters with I think they're called reapers, right? Depending how upset you were with the deaths on that mission, a Snakeman terror mission may just break your heart.

It's kinda random but depending on location and the location the aliens feel like bugging, but 5 in one month is about right. And I think Terror Missions are almost guaranteed monthly until you can shoot down the Large and Very Large ships. Also what difficulty are you playing on? On some versions of the game the lowest difficulty is actually harder than the highest.

UFO 6
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dear Princess Celestia,

Your Faithful Student,
    Twilight Sparkle

You don't have to write individual reports as you can get well over 100 ufos before completing the game.
    Spoilered research info, as it started to get pretty lengthy.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Do you have a Skype or Steam? It could help in getting advice over quick things. Laser weapons(specifically the rifle) are EXTREMELY useful, no ammo, rather accurate, decent cost for shots, it's wonderful. If you take that research a bit further into the Heavy Laser and later Laser Cannon, you'll be able to upgrade your tank(as in replace it with something better) and the guns on your interceptor. Then Heavy Plasma Cannon that is common among enemies is another great weapon to distribute to your troops, high power, large clip, okay shots, and the same deal with upgrading your ships guns(Do this, it becomes nearly impossible to fight some of the bigger ships without these).

Then If you can capture them once you have the space, [Alien] Navigator, [Sectoid] Leader/Commander or [Ethereal] Leader/Commander(actually I think any troop works for them), but most of the other live troops just give some random information like Engineers give you the specs on a random Alien Ship.

Alien Alloys if you haven't already, it gets the ball rolling on getting armor, Elerium-115 is critical get that done, you can't beat the game without it, literally not possible without it.

Generally alien medics carry this one, you want to try and get the Stun Bomb launcher, it's a small handheld grenade launcher that works as an area of effect Stun Rod. It makes capturing aliens a lot easier.

Research the UFO Navigation, Power Source, etc. as this will upgrade your ships and they will be able to handle more fighting wise, and troop wise. This also is attached to Armor I think at one point.

Finally just general research is a good idea, if you have 100 scientist with nothing major to research, split 'em up into groups of like 35-35-30 and just send them on research-capades. Doing research raises your monthly score, increasing funding.

New tumblr stuff:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: The Thread, The Game, The Tumblr.
    Human Crossings Avatar made by Thanqol

21. - Top - End - #951
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SynissterSyster View Post
    Morning everypony. Hope all is well. Dunno why I am posting something mundane. Anywho have a super day all!!
    Just wanna say your avatar makes me giggle, so so much. xD
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

22. - Top - End - #952
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    Happy (future) Birthday!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigg'rrauglurr View Post
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Have some home made cupcakes, fresh right of the oven:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Happy Birthday!
    Quote Originally Posted by otakuryoga View Post
    you are a frakkin PIRATE
    you are simply pillaging(plundering?) a 2nd day of birthdayness

perfectly understandable
    Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Hmm what do pirates like for birthdays? Robots, right Amish? Here ya go
    I have just the thing for this situation!

Spoiler
    Show

I keep those frames of the past stashed around the thread. In case of sanity emergency.
    (I see what you did there )

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Happy birthday!
    My brother has been around Japan twice. He loves the place and wants to eventually move there perminantly. I don't know much about it, other than they have money with holes in it so you can string them together like necklaces and that's actually kinda neat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nameless View Post
    Thanks for the birthday wishes, everypony! I ended up not doing a whole lot, on account of still recovering from some very minor stomach issues. My gift to myself was a full night's rest. So I'm taking a personal rain check on birthday cake until later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    It's pretty neat, but I don't think I'd want to live there. Mostly because I've got some nasty food allergies, and those are just infinitely more irritating to deal with in a foreign country. That, and I'm horrible at learning languages.
    Last edited by TheAmishPirate; 2012-07-11 at 10:23 AM.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Troll in the Playground

Re: Introductory Pony Episodes:

I really don't think Lesson Zero is all that representative of the series at it's best, or even representative of the series. It's About Time would be better for that, IMO. I think most people can appreciate a well-executed time travel plot and Twilight's breakdown is much more entertaining than Lesson Zero's decidely creepy take. Someone suggested Fall Weather Friends earlier. I definitely second that. A Canterlot Wedding to cover the adventure-y stuff and awesome songwriting is definitely a sound plan.
    Truth resists simplicity.

24. - Top - End - #954
    Ogre in the Playground

<------ New avatar!
    Yeah, yeah, it's not a pony, but I should blend in well enough.

Anyways, the reason I stopping by the ponythread today, is a little something I've been curious about. How exactly did the MLP fanbase get it's beginnings? I remember reading somewhere that it all started, of all places, on 4chan, but I'm really not sure if I can believe that.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

25. - Top - End - #955

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    <------ New avatar!

Anyways, the reason I stopping by the ponythread today, is a little something I've been curious about. How exactly did the MLP fanbase get it's beginnings? I remember reading somewhere that it all started, of all places, on 4chan, but I'm really not sure if I can believe that.
    It got started on 4chan. I was there. It was terrifying.

All these threads filled with people being nice and helpful and supportive. On 4chan. It was unnatural.

I lurked 4chan pony threads for three weeks before watching an episode.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-07-11 at 10:24 AM.

26. - Top - End - #956
    Ettin in the Playground

<------ New avatar!

If you're talking about the FIM fanbase, it did get started on 4chan. Basically, shortly after the show started airing a pair of articles came out attacking the show, one in October 2010 and the other in December. This got /co/, the section of 4chan dedicated to comics and cartooning curious, and they started to watch the show, finding it wasn't nearly as bad as the articles claimed it was. It started to spread to other sections of 4chan (/b/ was where the term "bronies" was born I believe), and soon to other sections of the Web. The show didn't really start to become a hit until 2011 though, during the spring/summer when the first season was finishing up.

EDIT: Thanqol'd.
    Last edited by Gamerlord; 2012-07-11 at 10:40 AM.
    Credit for my various avatars goes to Dashwood,Cealocanth,Kwarkpudding,Randomizer,kpengu in,Alarra,Bisected8,zimmerwald1915, and Thanqol.

Once known as "Gamerkid".

27. - Top - End - #957
    Ogre in the Playground

That........ terrifies me.
    ^~Cody T.~^

"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo

28. - Top - End - #958
    Ogre in the Playground

That........ terrifies me.
    Well, it depends. If the existence of a show so happy and wonderful that it can get the members of 4chan to embrace love and tolerance (or at least their version of love and tolerance) is what you consider terrifying, than I can understand your reaction.

We are the Herd. We are going to fill the world with love and tolerance, and not even 4chan can resist us.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

29. - Top - End - #959
    Titan in the Playground

<------ New avatar!

When the show came out, it got a lot of negative criticism, one article in particular "The end Of The Creative Drive Era in TV Animation" used MLP as one of it's main examples to argue it case. Another article claimed the show was racist and homophobic. These sparked an interest in some cartoon and animation enthusiasts. They went and watched the show for themselves to find out what all the hoo-haa was about. Ironically, many of them liked it. Discussions spread across 4Chan. As the fandom started to grow, an obligatory hatedom followed. To cut a a very long story short, BIG EPIC SPAM WAR ON 4CHAN, Bronies later went ahead and created Ponychan.
    The fandom's beginnings had a lot to do with response to the initial criticism. Whilst many users on the /c/ boards liked the show for the artwork and the ironic side of it, many /b/ users genuinely loved the show itself. /b/ + Ponies = "Bronies".

EDIT:

It got started on 4chan. I was there. It was terrifying.

All these threads filled with people being nice and helpful and supportive. On 4chan. It was unnatural.

I lurked 4chan pony threads for three weeks before watching an episode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamerlord View Post
    If you're talking about the FIM fanbase, it did get started on 4chan. Basically, shortly after the show started airing a pair of articles came out attacking the show, one in October 2010 and the other in December. This got /co/, the section of 4chan dedicated to comics and cartooning curious, and they started to watch the show, finding it wasn't nearly as bad as the articles claimed it was. It started to spread to other sections of 4chan (/b/ was where the term "bronies" was born I believe), and soon to other sections of the Web. The show didn't really start to become a hit until 2011 though, during the spring/summer when the first season was finishing up.

EDIT: Thanqol'd.
    Pfft, like, whatever guys.
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-07-11 at 10:57 AM.

30. - Top - End - #960
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post

...I think I have an ex-friend who LPd that game...
    (sads)
    What happened? (Hugs)
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.