Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ArkenBrony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    this class is complete, please PEACH, i hope you enjoy, the dwarf!


    Dwarf

    "when i was but a boy, my parents asked what i wanted to be, anything i wanted, they had obviously expected me to say warrior or priest, but i said "I wanna be Dwarf"
    -Miscellaneous Dwarf

    some dwarves decide to be warriors, some priests, and some even decided to be wizards. but on occasion, they just choose to be a dwarf.

    Adventures: Dwarves are excellent warriors, and master smiths. but they can't always get their thrill from the forge, they need to explore the world, and show people that dwarves are better then everyone else.

    Characteristics: Dwarves are slow to laugh or jest and suspicious of strangers, but they are generous to those few who earn their trust. Dwarves value gold, gems, jewelry, and art objects made with these precious materials, and they have been known to succumb to greed. They fight neither recklessly nor timidly, but with a careful courage and tenacity. Their sense of justice is strong, but at its worst it can turn into a thirst for vengeance.

    Alignment: any

    Religion: Dwarves tend to worship any of the dwarves gods, and sometimes those of norse origin.

    Background: Instead of training in the traditional senses, a Dwarf practices what their culture naturally makes them good at, and makes them better at it.

    Races: Dwarves are only Dwarves. they get along with gnomes the best, with a rivalry with elves, and a hate of goblinoids.

    Other Classes: Dwarves can relate with all classes due to its racial focus. but they do tend to get along better with warriors and priests, as they share many things with them.

    Role: the Dwarf takes the role of a tank

    Adaptation:

    GAME RULE INFORMATION
    DWARF's have the following game statistics.
    Abilities: In a dwarf, strength is probably it's main focus, due to its fighting capabilities, and wisdom for its spell casting, while constitution will always be accepted for extra hit points.
    Alignment: Any
    Hit Die: d10
    Starting Age: As fighter
    Starting Gold: As cleric

    Class Skills
    The Dwarf's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are appraise(int), bluff(cha), concentration(con), craft(int), intimidate(cha), knowledge(architecture and engineering)(int), knowledge(dungeoneering), knowledge(geography), knowledge(religion), listen(wis), profession(wis), search(int), sense motive(wis), spot(wis), and survival(wis)


    Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

    DWARF
    {table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Maneuvers Known|Maneuvers Readied|Stances Known|Initiator Level

    1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |iron skin|6|4|1|1st

    2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +0
    |earth sense|6|4|1|1st

    3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |improved iron skin, Warrior race|7|4|2|2nd

    4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |resisting iron skin|8|5|2|3rd

    5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +1
    |earth adept|8|5|2|3rd

    6th|
    +6/+1
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |burrow (10ft), improved resisting iron skin|9|5|2|4th

    7th|
    +7/+2
    |
    +5
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Powerful build|10|6|3|5th

    8th|
    +8/+3
    |
    +6
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |energy resistant iron skin|10|6|3|5th

    9th|
    +9/+4
    |
    +6
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |improved energy resistant iron skin, earth master|11|6|3|6th

    10th|
    +10/+5
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |shielded warrior|12|6|3|7th

    11th|
    +11/+6/+1
    |
    +7
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |immunity to poison, Battle Stride|12|6|3|7th

    12th|
    +12/+7/+2
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |anti-magic iron skin, greater energy resistant iron skin|13|7|3|8th

    13th|
    +13/+8/+3
    |
    +8
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |burrow (20ft)|14|7|4|9th

    14th|
    +14/+9/+4
    |
    +9
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |shielded evasion|14|7|4|9th

    15th|
    +15/+10/+5
    |
    +9
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |improved anti-magic iron skin|15|8|4|10th

    16th|
    +16/+11/+6/+1
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |healing iron skin|16|8|4|11th

    17th|
    +17/+12/+7/+2
    |
    +10
    |
    +5
    |
    +5
    |shielded mettle|16|8|4|11th

    18th|
    +18/+13/+8/+3
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |fast healing iron skin|17|8|4|12th

    19th|
    +19/+14/+9/+4
    |
    +11
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |improved shielded evasion|18|9|4|13th

    20th|
    +20/+15/+10/+5
    |
    +12
    |
    +6
    |
    +6
    |earth glide, defensive mastery|18|9|4|13th[/table]

    Class Features
    All of the following are class features of the DWARF

    Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: Dwarf's are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, heavy armor, and shields (including tower shields)

    Iron Skin (Ex): a Dwarfs signature ability is to be as hardy and tough as possible, and they train their skin to be as, if not more than, tough as iron.
    at 1st level, they gain a natural armor bonus equal to their con modifier (min 1)
    at 3rd level, this bonus increases to 1/3 class levels + con modifier (min 1)
    at 4th level, a Dwarfs skin becomes more resilient to damage, and he gains damage reduction 1/adamantium
    at 6th level, this increases to 1/3 class levels damage reduction/adamantium
    at 8th level, the Dwarfs skin resists the elements due to his thick, rough skin upon gaining this ability, the Dwarf chooses two of the following, fire, ice, acid, or lightning, and gains elemental resistance equal to his class levels
    at 9th level, and again at 12th level, he chooses one more element from the list, and gains resistance to that one as well
    at 12th level, a dwarfs skins resistance improves to the degree in which it rejects the power of magic and he gains spell resistance equal to his class level+5
    at 15th level, this improves to class level+10
    at 16th level, a dwarfs skin begins to regrow at a rapid pace, and the Dwarf begins to heal a number of hit points every for equal to its con modifier (min 1)
    at 18th level, this ability improves to fast healing 5+con modifier

    maneuvers known: You begin your career with knowledge of six martial maneuvers, the disciplines available to you are Devoted Mind, Setting Sun, and Stone Dragon. Once you know a maneuver, you must ready it before you can use it. A maneuver usable by a Dwarf is considered an extraordinary ability unless otherwise noted in its description. Your maneuvers are not affected by spell resistance, and do not provoke attacks of opportunity when you initiate one. you learn additional maneuvers as you level up, as shown on the table above. you must meet a maneuvers prerequisite to learn it. your initiator level is indicated on the table above.

    maneuvers readied: you can ready any four of your six maneuvers known at first level, and as you advance in level and learn more maneuvers, you are able to ready more, but you still must choose which maneuvers to ready. you ready maneuvers by meditating and exercising for 5 minutes. the maneuvers you choose remain readied until you decide to meditate again and change them. you begin an encounter with all your readied maneuvers unexpended. when you initiate a maneuver, you expend it for the current encounter. you can recover an expended maneuver by using a full-round action to meditate. doing this does not provoke attacks of opportunity. if you complete your meditation, you can choose 1 expended maneuver to refresh. it is now available for use in a subsequent round.

    stances known: you begin with knowledge of one 1st level stance from any discipline available to you. at 3rd, 7th, 13th level, you can choose an additional stance of a level permitted to you. unlike maneuvers, stances are not expended, and you do not have to ready them. all the stances you know are available to you at all times, and you can change the stance you currently use as a swift action. a stance is an extraordinary ability unless otherwise stated in the stance description.

    Earth Sense: upon reaching 2nd level, a Dwarf gains Earth Sense as a bonus feat (races of stone pg. 138)

    Warrior race: A dwarf is a natural warrior, and is as skilled as any trained fighter at using weapons upon reaching 3rd level, a dwarf is considered a fighter of a level equal to his class levels in Dwarf-2, this penalty is lowered to -1 at 9th level, and removed at 12th level.

    Earth Adept: upon reaching 5th level, a Dwarf gains Earth adept as a bonus feat (races of stone pg. 138)

    Burrow (Ex): A Dwarf has grown his mastery of mining to such an extent that he can move in the earth almost as quickly as he moves. Upon attaining 6th level, A dwarf gains a burrow speed of 10 ft when using a pick axe or shovel, this improves to 20 ft at 13th level.

    Powerful Build: the physical structure of an experienced Dwarf allows him to function as if he were larger than he actually is. Upon reaching 7th level, a Dwarf is treated as if he possessed the powerful build ability.

    Earth Master: upon reaching 9th level, a Dwarf gains earth master as a bonus feat (races of stone pg. 138)

    Shielded warrior: A Dwarf practices at the uses of armor to enhance his spells. Upon reaching 10th level, a dwarf may add its shield bonus to his reflex save. A dwarf also reduces the minus to hit from a tower shield to 0.

    Immunity to Poison: a Dwarfs natural hardiness towards poison improves to complete immunity due to his diet and training. Upon attaining 11th level, a dwarf gains immunity to all poisons, magical or otherwise.

    Battle Stride: A dwarf need not dodge attacks, he merely threatens what he can do in return, and the enemy retreats. upon reaching 11th level, a dwarf may use their intimidate skill instead of tumble to avoid attacks of opportunity.

    Shielded Evasion: a dwarf is trained to defend against blows instead of dodging them. at 14th level, a dwarf is treated as having evasion as long as he is holding a shield.

    shielded mettle: a dwarfs expertise with shields has expanded to a magical level, and can stop even mental spells with it. upon reaching 17th level, A dwarf who is wielding a shield is treated as having mettle.

    Improved shield evasion: A dwarfs hardiness only increases over time, and can be as tough as a shield when not even using it. upon reaching 19th level, a dwarf is considered to have improved evasion so long as he is holding a shield, and is considered to have regular evasion even when he isn't.

    Earth Glide (Ex): a master Dwarfs connection with the element of earth allows them to move through it as if he was an earth elemental. Upon reaching 20th level, a Dwarfs ability to burrow improves to the degree that he may move through stone, dirt, or any type of non-metal earth at a rate equal to his land speed, and may breath normally while doing so.

    Defensive Mastery: a Master Dwarfs skin is tuned and trained to be resistant to everything, and all of the abilities gained through Iron Skin are improved one more step.
    his natural armor is so thick, that it is almost armor itself, and its bonus is granted to his touch AC as well
    his damage reduction has increased to that of steel walls, and changes to damage reduction/-
    his elemental resistance increases 1 particular aspect, and gains elemental immunity to 1 of the 4 elements he is resistant to
    his resistance to magic extends to complete immunity to mind-affecting spells
    and his fast healing improves to 10+double con modifier
    Last edited by ArkenBrony; 2012-09-20 at 10:59 PM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ArkenBrony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    finished the class, PEACH it, i know i made mistakes, i just can't find them on my own, so if you could help that'd be great

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cambridge, UK

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    Quote Originally Posted by zetsu1919 View Post
    finished the class, PEACH it, i know i made mistakes, i just can't find them on my own, so if you could help that'd be great
    And indeed i shall...

    I'm really pleased you managed to write this up in the end and I must say its a very solid class. I've had look through and think its pretty well balanced and seems like it would fill the "tank" roll very well while also offering some other nice abilities (I think powerful build is a great idea fot such a class).

    Personally I'm not overly fond of the cleric spells on a thematic level. I'm not sure that the dwarfiest dwarf around is necessarily religious (or magical) in any way. This is personal preference entirely but I see Dwarfs as physical beings who focus upon the strength and resilience of their nature and see this as a polar opposite of say... Elves who have a closer bond with the divines and focus more upon magical and mystical things.

    Also i think the idea of a such a base class opens up a number of options other than spells. You mention that they give off an aura, well maybe expand upon that and give them a slightly marshal style feel? Or maybe give them a some kind of inner strength resource which they can spend in interesting ways, maybe each time they sustain 1 or more hit points of damage they gain 1 point of something (grudge? resolve?). Or maybe as a foe strikes them they become more and more determined to slay that foe (bonus damage?).

    Anyway, ignoreing my issues with the spell casting elements of the class, let me reiterate that I think its a very solid class indeed with a good sense of progression and balance.

    Very good work!
    OMFGWTF!!

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ArkenBrony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    Quote Originally Posted by kanachi View Post
    I'm really pleased you managed to write this up in the end and I must say its a very solid class. I've had look through and think its pretty well balanced and seems like it would fill the "tank" roll very well while also offering some other nice abilities (I think powerful build is a great idea fot such a class).
    thank you, this is exactly what i was trying for

    Quote Originally Posted by kanachi View Post
    Personally I'm not overly fond of the cleric spells on a thematic level. I'm not sure that the dwarfiest dwarf around is necessarily religious (or magical) in any way. This is personal preference entirely but I see Dwarfs as physical beings who focus upon the strength and resilience of their nature and see this as a polar opposite of say... Elves who have a closer bond with the divines and focus more upon magical and mystical things.
    i understand what your saying, but in most things, the cleric is a dwarf, so it just stuck in my mind that dwarf meant cleric, although i agree i should change it to something else, the spells seem unnecessary.

    Quote Originally Posted by kanachi View Post
    Also i think the idea of a such a base class opens up a number of options other than spells. You mention that they give off an aura, well maybe expand upon that and give them a slightly marshal style feel? Or maybe give them a some kind of inner strength resource which they can spend in interesting ways, maybe each time they sustain 1 or more hit points of damage they gain 1 point of something (grudge? resolve?). Or maybe as a foe strikes them they become more and more determined to slay that foe (bonus damage?).
    the aura idea would work but i don't have any ideas of what to give. and i don't know if i want to give it points. and favored enemyish ability might work, but i don't know. you thoughts made me think of maneuvers and styles, from ToB, do you think that'd work?

    Quote Originally Posted by kanachi View Post
    Anyway, ignoreing my issues with the spell casting elements of the class, let me reiterate that I think its a very solid class indeed with a good sense of progression and balance.
    Very good work!
    thank you its my first completed base class. so that means a lot

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cambridge, UK

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    Quote Originally Posted by zetsu1919 View Post
    I understand what your saying, but in most things, the cleric is a dwarf, so it just stuck in my mind that dwarf meant cleric, although i agree i should change it to something else, the spells seem unnecessary.
    I should say that mechanically there is nothing to bad about giving them spells, its just not the route i would take themeatically. That said, I'm not the authority on dwarfs and so my own personal flavour beliefs concearning them are just that and nothing more.

    Go with your gut i say.

    Quote Originally Posted by zetsu1919 View Post
    the aura idea would work but i don't have any ideas of what to give. and i don't know if i want to give it points. and favored enemyish ability might work, but i don't know. you thoughts made me think of maneuvers and styles, from ToB, do you think that'd work?
    I would take a good look at the marshal class for aura ideas, personally this would be the way that I would go. Manoeuvres and styles, from ToB, could work pretty well as well though.

    Quote Originally Posted by zetsu1919 View Post
    thank you its my first completed base class. so that means a lot
    Haha, well the Trueforge was my first posted class online for over... 4 years. So donít put to much stock in to anything I say, I'm no expert.

    But this is one amateur who hopes to see more of your work in the future.
    OMFGWTF!!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Togath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    if you decide to add amneuvers, stone dragon could be good, as it fits the fluff of dwarves being endurance and earth themed, and it is already available to all classes with ToB maneuvers so you wont steal the special maneuvers of any class with it.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sawagakure: Village Hidden by the Valley Marsh
    OOC: I, IC: Team 1(I), Team 2(I)
    Lereth: Stormport
    OOC: I, IC: I
    Verden
    OOC: I, IC: I
    Homebrewer's Link(+PBP)

    Kitty over on Steam

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ArkenBrony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    if you decide to add amneuvers, stone dragon could be good, as it fits the fluff of dwarves being endurance and earth themed, and it is already available to all classes with ToB maneuvers so you wont steal the special maneuvers of any class with it.
    That's what I was thinking, I can't figure out what progression to give

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ArkenBrony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    i changed spell casting to initiating, and if you notice, they end up knowing everything from that disciple of 7th level or lower. what do people think?

    Edit: i just switched the level shielded warrior and powerful build were taken. i figured it daunt make sense that they would get there good shield ability before they could wield a great sword or greataxe in 1 hand, when they are required for the initiations, so it would be a dead ability for 3 levels
    Last edited by ArkenBrony; 2012-07-06 at 01:22 AM.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Togath's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    any maneuver can be used with any weapon, even improvised ones or natural attacks actually, so they wouldn't need a weapon size or weapon acatgory change in order to use stone dragon.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sawagakure: Village Hidden by the Valley Marsh
    OOC: I, IC: Team 1(I), Team 2(I)
    Lereth: Stormport
    OOC: I, IC: I
    Verden
    OOC: I, IC: I
    Homebrewer's Link(+PBP)

    Kitty over on Steam

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ArkenBrony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    then what exactly is the point of associated weapons

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Pyromancer999's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    For maneuvers, I'd recommend adding in Setting Sun, as it's good for all creatures fighting bigger ones, and thus works for the giant-targeting ability for their racial stats, and for beating the tar out of other larger races despite being small. Devoted Mind might also be good for representing their discipline.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

    Awesome Quotes:

    Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.


    Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ArkenBrony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    thanks, i agree, i just am not familiar with disciplines, i knew of them not about them, so i had no clue which to add. so the way i did their maneuvers was as a swordsage with 2/3 levels in it rounded accordingly, 2/3 up, 1/3 down

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    I like the class.
    I will read over it more carefully soon so I can give a better opinion about it, but at first glance I noticed a error.
    On the table it lists Powerful build as level 7 and shielded warrior at level 10, but in the description of said abilities it says powerful build is granted at level 10 and shielded warrior at level 7.

    Just thought I'd bring that to your attention.

    Edit:
    The shielded warrior ability seems a bit lack-luster now that spells are taken out of the class.
    "Shielded warrior: A Dwarf practices at the uses of armor to enhance his spells. Upon reaching 7th level, a dwarf may add its shield bonus to his concentration checks. A dwarf also reduces the minus to hit from a tower shield to 0." Since it no longer casts spells, the bonus to concentration checks is no longer really worth anything. The reduction to the tower shield's penalty is nice still, but its not that much.
    Last edited by DrewVolker; 2012-07-11 at 10:34 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ArkenBrony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    thanks for the critique, the level differences are a simple mistake on my part, and shielded warrior i can't hunk of something else to give that isn't given by the rest of the class, maybe a bonus to reflex saves due to blocking with the shield?

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2010

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    I think a bonus to reflex saves would be a nice addition to a tankish character. Always good to be able to lower damage you take from area effects, and it could make sense to gain such a bonus from having a shield help protect you from said effects.

    Notes:
    There are quite a few spelling/grammar mistakes, I could do my best to make a list for you, if you'd like. So you could correct them. I don't think it is that big of a deal, as anyone could clearly see what you are saying, but some might complain about the spelling/grammar.

    In the abilities section of game rule information it notes wisdom is important to a dwarf for their spellcasting. Since that has been taken out I think you should either change what wisdom is used for, or take it out of the abilities section.

    In their skill list, since they are no longer spellcasters, I'd recommend you take out spellcraft. They no longer have a use for it, so it is not really fitting anymore fluff wise, or mechanics wise.

    About iron skin. While I like the ability, and think it is quite nice. Overall I think it is a bit lack luster. Fast healing 5 at level 18 (and 10 at level 20) is practically nothing at those levels, and will not really help at all besides from between battles healing. Also the spell resistance is low, really low. Spell resistance equal to level is basically worthless, as any caster your group is going up against should be able to beat it without problem (Example, if you are level 12, you have SR 12. A equal level magic user has a caster level of 12, so even if they roll a 1, they overcome your resistance). SR equal to your level +5 is also pretty weak, as any equal level caster would only have to roll a 5 or higher to get through it, even lower should you be facing say a "boss" who is likely higher in levels than the party. Standard spell resistance progression is level/hd +11, with "greater spell resistance" being level +16 (I've only seen a handful of races with higher than level/hd+11 spell resistance, so I am not sure if you should use anything higher than level/hd+11).

    I like how you worked maneuvers into this concept, it is really awesome and flavorful.

    Turning/rebuking Undead, I like it, but I am not sure it fits the rest of the class anymore. Since they are no longer pseudo-clerics, I can't really see a reason for them to have this. As far as I know dwarf kind does not have a particular hatred/affinity for undead.

    The Races of Stone feats: I love that you worked them into the class. They are really flavorful feats, but are a bit on the weak side. So I can't imagine anyone taking them on their own, but you worked them into the dwarf class so that is awesome.

    Burrow Speed: While I like it .As far as my knowledge goes, Dwarven kind does not burrow through earth using their own hands, but you phrased it as "A Dwarf has grown his mastery of mining to such an extent that he can move in the earth almost as quickly as he moves." So I'm assuming that instead of using his hands to burrow he would be using some kind of mining tool? Maybe you should right that in "For this ability to be functioning, the Dwarf must have a pick or shovel on his person". Its nothing big mechanics wise, more of a fluff piece.

    Powerful build: I love this feature, it has to be one of my favorite racial abilities. I like that you worked it into the dwarf, as I can see them being able to justify them being able to do things most races their size can not.

    Shielded Warrior: I've talked about this ability earlier in this post.

    Immunity to poison: I like it and it fits. It is nothing special, as poisons rarely, if ever, come into an average DnD game, but if they ever do, you will be glad you have this.

    Rock Hurling (and Improved), Fling Ally and Fling Enemy: While I love these feats, and they can be used for SO many funny things in game, I don't see a real reason a archtypical dwarf would have them. I don't think dwarves are known for their rock throwing abilities.

    Earth Glide: Same with my comments on burrow.

    Defensive Mastery: I like most of the things in this ability. The AC to touch AC is awesome, and really helps out a tank character when fighting against those pesky mages. The change from DR/Addy to DR/- is also good, as you never know when your DM might throw a addy weapon into the mix of enemies. The immunity to one of the elements is nice. The immunity to spells level 3 and lower is nice, but really, at level 20, it will not matter. Spells of level 3 and lower would not do much to you anyway, and I've commented on how I think the spell resistance progression of this class is weak already. Same with fast healing 10, at this level healing 10 hp a round might be nice, but in full on combat it will rarely help that much against things hitting for a lot more than 10, but between combat fast healing is awesome. You can get back up to full HP without the group healer needing to cast anything on you.


    My closing thoughts: I love this class, mainly because I love the dwarf. My favorite out of the core races, and one I feel never gets the love they deserve. That being said, I think this class is a bit on the weak side, especially since it is a melee tank, and melee tanks are already a bit on the weak side when you look at the tier system. I think you should bump up the class's power level a bit. Maybe give them 2 extra skill points (not all dwarves have to be as skill deprived as a fighter) Maybe some more bonus feats (also you should let them count their dwarf level as fighter level for the purpose of feats so they can get all the nice fighter feats). I'd also recommend you think about raising the SR to useful levels, and maybe some general additions to give this class more power. I'd recommend you look at the dwarven defender for ideas, could fit this class well.


    Alright that's my honest opinion on this class, and I must say, awesome job so far, hope to see even more.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cambridge, UK

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    Quote Originally Posted by DrewVolker View Post
    Alright that's my honest opinion on this class, and I must say, awesome job so far, hope to see even more.
    This is a fantastic list of ideas and thoughts! I've been meaning to do something similar to this but you have pretty much take the words right out from under my finger tips (uber ninja!). People like you sir are the life blood of this forum!

    I would have killed to have such an analysis of my base class!
    OMFGWTF!!

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ArkenBrony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    i changed the class a bit based on your note, i would love a list of mistakes, and the reason for fling/stone throwing is i have always considered giants as dwarfs, just quite a bit taller, especially stone giants

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ArkenBrony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    Quote Originally Posted by kanachi View Post
    I would have killed to have such an analysis of my base class!
    give mea link and i would be happy to

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Cambridge, UK

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    Quote Originally Posted by zetsu1919 View Post
    give mea link and i would be happy to
    Well it feels a little rude to railroad your class forum like this so I apologize in advance, that was not actually my intention. Anyway, if your really interested try this.

    Anyway, moving back to your class...

    Firstly let me say that I'm really pleased you made the move to take this away from the spell crafting idea and went for maneuvers instead. I think it fits the theme far better.

    I think the use of a shield applying a bonus to reflex saves is a good idea. I can envisage him ducking behind a shield as a fireball impacts around him. You could even consider giving the dwarf an ability akin to evasion and improved evasion later on if they are wielding a shield.

    I would however temper the above by saying that its often nice to look at alternate class features for those who don't want to follow your class concept to the letter. You could try a providing a rage ability for those who choose not to follow this path.

    I totally agree with DrewVolker with regard to the spell resistance. Notch it up a bit. You could even consider some kind of alternate ability like "my spell resistance is equal to my attack roll" so you actually cut incoming spells down before they reach you (though this may be a little OTT, but fun) or you could try a grapple roll to represent the dwarf physically dominating the spell into submission "I drop a peoples elbow on your candy ass Magic Missile". Anyway random crazy ideas, please ignore!

    I would also follow DrewVolker and advise you to consider reworking or removing the following class features:

    Rock Hurling (and Improved), Fling Ally and Fling Enemy
    Turning/rebuking Undead

    I will fire out my usual random thoughts on alternate abilities so please feel free to ignore.

    The harder the fight the meaner the Dwarf: If the dwarf suffers hit point damage they receive a bonus to will saves an intimidate skill checks until the end of their next turn. This represents their hardened resolve and love of a good fight. Plus it helps bolster the dwarfs will saves and i personally see a dwarf having a hell of a lot of will in battle.

    Battle Stride: The dwarf may use their intimidate skill instead of tumble to avoid attacks of opportunity. This will help the dwarf get into position easier and that is what a tank really needs. Plus i think it fits the theme well.

    Grudge Match: If the dwarf suffers hit point damage from a for in melee combat they gain +1d6 damage to all melee attacks they make against that foe before the end of their next turn. This bonus to damage very slowly increases over time. I always see dwarfs and loving a good bit of give and take in battle... "a good fight is one where you can spit out a tooth on the other guys corpse at the end!"

    Anyway... see what you think.
    OMFGWTF!!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground
     
    ArkenBrony's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Dwarf Base Class (PEACH, its done)

    Quote Originally Posted by kanachi View Post
    Well it feels a little rude to railroad your class forum like this so I apologize in advance, that was not actually my intention. Anyway, if your really interested try this.
    thanks, will give a full evaluation in a little bit

    Quote Originally Posted by kanachi View Post
    Anyway, moving back to your class...

    Firstly let me say that I'm really pleased you made the move to take this away from the spell crafting idea and went for maneuvers instead. I think it fits the theme far better.
    thanks, i was never a fan of the maneuvers that were akin to magic, when they didn't apply spell resistance, and then ruled them all out as bad, this made me look back at them and realize they aren't that bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by kanachi View Post
    I think the use of a shield applying a bonus to reflex saves is a good idea. I can envisage him ducking behind a shield as a fireball impacts around him. You could even consider giving the dwarf an ability akin to evasion and improved evasion later on if they are wielding a shield.
    thats actually a really good idea, getting evasion

    Quote Originally Posted by kanachi View Post
    I would however temper the above by saying that its often nice to look at alternate class features for those who don't want to follow your class concept to the letter. You could try a providing a rage ability for those who choose not to follow this path.
    i agree but thats all for later, first i want to finish the main class

    Quote Originally Posted by kanachi View Post
    I totally agree with DrewVolker with regard to the spell resistance. Notch it up a bit. You could even consider some kind of alternate ability like "my spell resistance is equal to my attack roll" so you actually cut incoming spells down before they reach you (though this may be a little OTT, but fun) or you could try a grapple roll to represent the dwarf physically dominating the spell into submission "I drop a peoples elbow on your candy ass Magic Missile". Anyway random crazy ideas, please ignore!
    i have increased it a bit, and i like your ideas of "attacking" the spells, i may use that at some point

    Quote Originally Posted by kanachi View Post
    I would also follow DrewVolker and advise you to consider reworking or removing the following class features:

    Rock Hurling (and Improved), Fling Ally and Fling Enemy
    Turning/rebuking Undead
    removed turning, and i was thinking i could add evasions in and maybe mettle

    Quote Originally Posted by kanachi View Post
    I will fire out my usual random thoughts on alternate abilities so please feel free to ignore.

    The harder the fight the meaner the Dwarf: If the dwarf suffers hit point damage they receive a bonus to will saves an intimidate skill checks until the end of their next turn. This represents their hardened resolve and love of a good fight. Plus it helps bolster the dwarfs will saves and i personally see a dwarf having a hell of a lot of will in battle.

    Battle Stride: The dwarf may use their intimidate skill instead of tumble to avoid attacks of opportunity. This will help the dwarf get into position easier and that is what a tank really needs. Plus i think it fits the theme well.

    Grudge Match: If the dwarf suffers hit point damage from a for in melee combat they gain +1d6 damage to all melee attacks they make against that foe before the end of their next turn. This bonus to damage very slowly increases over time. I always see dwarfs and loving a good bit of give and take in battle... "a good fight is one where you can spit out a tooth on the other guys corpse at the end!"

    Anyway... see what you think.
    i like battle stride a lot, the others mitt be for alternates later though, love the responses

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •