New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: Grrl Power

1. - Top - End - #271
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Grrl Power

Actually, one thing that's making Vehemence look very dangerous (apart from the whole "insane levels of personal power that actually feeds off attempts to stop him" stuff) is that he's already anticipated Sydney's responses once or twice, and made it clear that he won't let them work. He's genre-savvy enough to anticipate the genre-savvy hero - which is rare. And he's acknowledged to himself that she's cute enough for him not to want to crush her, and then made it pretty clear that it wouldn't actually stop him.

I suspect that it may be one of Sydney's so-far-unidentified spheres that proves crucial here, rather than her genre awareness this time around.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

2. - Top - End - #272
    Titan in the Playground

That, or he might have drastically miscalculated the power of her energy blast ability and it will turn out she can put hurt on him faster then he can charge up form getting hurt.
    "I Burn!"

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

Tickle fight!

4. - Top - End - #274
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

My thought is put him inside her forcefield and keep shrinking it as he moves to limit his range of movement. Don't let him build up the force to break free. Then sit around him and talk calmly and rationally about how the fight went - who did well, what tactics worked well, which villains are worth remembering, etc, etc... Watch as his power bleeds away and then they just arrest him, letting the iron hides (Max, Anvil, Stalwart, Hiro) take a couple blows as they secure him, but fail to engage him.

Barring that, I could also see Dabbler finding a way to screw with the energy that's built up.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Pixie in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    My thought is put him inside her forcefield and keep shrinking it as he moves to limit his range of movement. Don't let him build up the force to break free. Then sit around him and talk calmly and rationally about how the fight went - who did well, what tactics worked well, which villains are worth remembering, etc, etc... Watch as his power bleeds away and then they just arrest him, letting the iron hides (Max, Anvil, Stalwart, Hiro) take a couple blows as they secure him, but fail to engage him.

Barring that, I could also see Dabbler finding a way to screw with the energy that's built up.

She has to be with him inside the force field. He will just knock her out and she'll let go of the force field orb.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    I see what you did there.
    "I Burn!"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ogre in the Playground

just suffocate him in a force field...
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fjolnir View Post
    just suffocate him in a force field...
    I've lost count of how many people, here and on the comments on-site, have suggested that. Most recently, this was addressed two posts before yours.

Sydney has to be in her own bubble.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ogre in the Playground

Portal Girl could have the same effect. Two portals (both ends each) could trap him. Shape of a d4, all paths from inside lead back to inside.
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #280
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Portal Girl could have the same effect. Two portals (both ends each) could trap him. Shape of a d4, all paths from inside lead back to inside.
    If she's limited to oval portals that might be difficult to do without leaving a gap. Who knows what'd happen if he could grab an edge...

General idea is sound, though - it might just need more than two pairs. Also, we know it takes her more time to set up a lot of portals - he'd still need to be restrained long enough to set them up.
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

11. - Top - End - #281
    Barbarian in the Playground

I wonder how much he weighs. If he is less then 4 Harems couldn't she just teleport him to a hole in the ground? Im probably missing something though.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Titan in the Playground

They have established that Lethal force is a permissible option, while not a first choice. But if he's that big a threat, why not have 4 Harems, or even 5 Harems, teleport him into space. Lot of good his super strength will do him up there.
    "I Burn!"

13. - Top - End - #283
    Titan in the Playground

I love how people are phrasing their suggestions as though they're obvious solutions that were missed.

We haven't actually had a page since the exposition one for them to try anything in.

(re. space: Harem needs to breathe too.)
    My Homebrew

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

Not if she's only up there long enough to let go and teleport back down.
    "I Burn!"

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

That does firstly require Harem to actually be able to carry enough weight to TP Vehemence, he is rather big, and would do doubt weight on the right side of 200 kg.

And else, we can honestly not be sure Vehemence would not at this stage have the power to punch though Halo's shield, he did hurt Max at a weaker stage when she were pumping her armor.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

16. - Top - End - #286

So is he half demon? If that's the case, how much does he know?
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

The source of his power is unknown, but it looks like he's about to do something other than just being strong and tough. Honestly can't wait to see it, and I have a sneaking suspicion that the only ones who are going to not take a significant hit from it are Sidney and Achilles.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire
    Optimization stops being practical and starts being theoretical when your DPR is measured in Tarrasques instead of hit points
    My Guides:
    PsyBomb's Guides to the Akashic Mysteries (Now with all three classes!)
    Fear Itself: the Dread

Extended Signature HERE

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Cliffhangers. Gotta love 'em. I'm told.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

19. - Top - End - #289
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

"Apple College: Perfect for the young and ambitious vehemic user. Just ask one of our malumni about our devilishly generous scholarship program!"
    Hi! I'm a Girl At A Desk. I like DnD and Path of Exile a lot.

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show

By Howl

20. - Top - End - #290
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GAAD View Post
    "Apple College: Perfect for the young and ambitious vehemic user. Just ask one of our malumni about our devilishly generous scholarship program!"
    *applause*

Now it occurs to me that if Big V can't power-up exactly at will, how does he find out what he can do? As he obviously powers-down afterwards, that would be a little frustrating later after doing something great fun for the first time, erm, not being able to get it up any more, as it were. And now the last panel is X-rated.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    *applause*

Now it occurs to me that if Big V can't power-up exactly at will, how does he find out what he can do? As he obviously powers-down afterwards, that would be a little frustrating later after doing something great fun for the first time, erm, not being able to get it up any more, as it were. And now the last panel is X-rated.
    I think that's part of the point of this brawl. Besides being a great opportunity to feast, it is allowing him to reach heights of power he's never had before. I don't think he himself knows what kind of stunts he can achieve if sufficiently powered, and the opportunity to find out was part of this. Whether he's just trying to push himself or he has an agenda he needs a heretofore unheard of level of power to achieve, I don't know.

Vehemence would work pretty well as a token evil member of Arc-SWAT, come to think of it. He doesn't really seem to be out to do 'evil', he just wants be where the action is. He'd work pretty well as a Max-grade heavy, someone you can deploy when the enemy has to be destroyed regardless of collateral damage. He's generally polite, intelligent, has excellent taste in headwear, and respects Sydney more than most of her own team does. If Sydney floated the idea, I wonder what he'd say.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Titan in the Playground

Wouldn't that be a be-all-end-all way to beat him.

Sydney: Hey, so, your just looking to find your upper limit, right? You just wanna be able to get full use of your powers and you need super brawling to do that, correct?

V: Yes, that would be the size of it.

Sydney: How about this, we talk to the legal department about getting you a pardon for this, spin it as PR advantage after claiming a victory and forgetting to report to the media that you were involved, and you join our side as a heavy hitter for deployment when collateral damage is not an issue?

V: ... ... ... You know, I got excited when I saw the TV going and, that thought didn't occur to me. I, think I like that plan better.

Sydney: Added bonus, you can help Super Charge Anvil, and Math and Anvil can charge you up, and Math get's an opponent he'll have a hell of a time if he even can beat you to spar with on a regular biases. Everyone wins. Except the poor dumps who probably would have been cut rate super villains if left to there own devices anyway.
    "I Burn!"

23. - Top - End - #293
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Wouldn't that be a be-all-end-all way to beat him.

Sydney: Hey, so, your just looking to find your upper limit, right? You just wanna be able to get full use of your powers and you need super brawling to do that, correct?

V: Yes, that would be the size of it.

Sydney: How about this, we talk to the legal department about getting you a pardon for this, spin it as PR advantage after claiming a victory and forgetting to report to the media that you were involved, and you join our side as a heavy hitter for deployment when collateral damage is not an issue?

V: ... ... ... You know, I got excited when I saw the TV going and, that thought didn't occur to me. I, think I like that plan better.

Sydney: Added bonus, you can help Super Charge Anvil, and Math and Anvil can charge you up, and Math get's an opponent he'll have a hell of a time if he even can beat you to spar with on a regular biases. Everyone wins. Except the poor dumps who probably would have been cut rate super villains if left to there own devices anyway.
    Yep. It's also worth noting that Vehemence has actually not done much against Arc-SWAT. He's broken Max's nose, but that's the only meaningful damage thus far to my memory. On the enemy's side he took out their escape route and took down the nominal leader of the gang, displaying at least some marginal interest in their possible survival afterwards and has been oddly congenial with everyone including Max.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I can't see Max going for this. Frankly, her idea of keeping supers under control seems to be based on her ability to beat them up. She's happy leading this team because she knows she can probably beat any of them if they get too far out of line. She'd classify Vehemence as a potential loose cannon who could blow any time and who she couldn't smack down.

It's the basic flaw in her idea of peace through intimidation. When you meet someone you can't actually intimidate, you're stuffed.
    Last edited by Discus-Spinner; 2014-11-13 at 05:54 PM.
    Spinnin' that Disc...

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

On the flip side, This might be were the people who aren't the field commander but have a lot of pull, the one's she had to discuss adding Sydney to the team with, over-rule her and tell her "Commander, you've already gone off rails once, and while your intentions were noble, it caused this incident. If we can make the team profit form it, were going too. If you don't like it, to bad, your military and have your orders. He's joining."
    "I Burn!"

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ettin in the Playground

So does that mean V will "pilot the chopper", in order to be close enough to the action to power up in super fights that might go off the rails?

Also, I dont know if this has been mentioned here, but "Nya Nya Cant Hit Me man" needs to be a blogger, who is Suzi News's rival. "Covering superhero fights form INSIDE THE ACTION!"

Suzi: My ratings! DRIVE CLOSER!
    Driver: But the risk!
    SUZI: CLOSER!

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

I'd think he'd be spending substantial amounts of time sparring with Anvil and Math. The former to keep her Kentic energy charge loaded up really high. And the latter because he's on a short list of people who Math would have a hard time with and as a result Math will want to do so, and V will be happy to go with it cause it helps keep HIS batteries charged up more/longer so that he can experiment more with his powers and be ready to roll.
    "I Burn!"

28. - Top - End - #298

I seriously doubt V will become part of the team, but I wouldn't exclude future cooperation on a short term I'm-going-to-stab-you-in-the-back-first basis.
    Useless arcane powers are better than no arcane powers!

Avatar mercifully granted by Threeshades

29. - Top - End - #299
    Ogre in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Rakaydos View Post
    So does that mean V will "pilot the chopper", in order to be close enough to the action to power up in super fights that might go off the rails?

Also, I dont know if this has been mentioned here, but "Nya Nya Cant Hit Me man" needs to be a blogger, who is Suzi News's rival. "Covering superhero fights form INSIDE THE ACTION!"

Suzi: My ratings! DRIVE CLOSER!
    Driver: But the risk!
    SUZI: CLOSER!
    I know the writer said NNCHMM is in fact a canon character, but I **SO** much want to see him as such. Reminds me of an infamous encounter from one of our superheroic RPG campaigns - Annoying Man! The players have threatened to kill me if I ever do that again...
    Last edited by TheEmerged; 2014-11-15 at 08:35 AM.
    • Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
    • The main problem with the world? So many grownups, not enough adults.
    • Talk less; say more.
    • George R.R. Martin, Kirkman, and Joss Whedon walked into a bar. There were no survivors.
    • Current Project: Fallout 4 "nerd" build (3/7/2/2/9/3/2, PER 9 after boosts)

30. - Top - End - #300
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh **** guys, he collected enough punches to get a free mushroom! Now it will take two hits to kill him! NOOOOOO!!!!
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC