New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast

Thread: Grrl Power

1. - Top - End - #121
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Grrl Power

So anyone know if this webcomic author has read worm? If not can we introduce him?
    My deaths to wolves (or other evil night killers)
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow
    I think Lamech will make a great Sephiroth.
    A new New York IC OOC

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

My point about Sydney is that she is a far stronger candidate for Mary-Sue-ness than Dabbler, which was the debate a page or so ago.
    If handled correctly, she will not be one, but she is a prime suspect, especially with her Unique Power Set nobody has ever hear of before and all that.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    My point about Sydney is that she is a far stronger candidate for Mary-Sue-ness than Dabbler, which was the debate a page or so ago.
    If handled correctly, she will not be one, but she is a prime suspect, especially with her Unique Power Set nobody has ever hear of before and all that.
    Mary Sue is not the best of the best in a story. That role belongs to "the Ace". A Mary Sue is the narrative equivalent of a reality warper: Everybody loves her, even the bad guys, she is perfect in every way, she succeeds at everything she does, and she can solve problems just because she's awesome not because she has any qualifications for her success. Even if she has a fault it's completely superficial and never meaningfully hinders her (if it hinders her at all, it's just a brief roadblock to make her victory all the more glorious). The story gives her anything and everything she needs to rule center stage, whether she deserves it or not.

I don't see Sydney as any sort of Mary-Sue candidate for a few reasons.

First is her effectiveness - despite her immense range and scale of powers, she's limited to 2/7 of it any given time and is generally crippled by her personality. She's a powerhouse, yes, but that power is tempered by the fact that she still has to earn most of it through learning discipline and study/practice/experimentation, and then find ways to use her powers creatively because she's still limited to 2/7 at any given time. She isn't an auto-win button, though she's absolutely a wildcard that could win a situation if luck is on her side. (She's basically a one girl "Checkov's Armory". So many guns yet to go off...)

Second is her personality - Sydney is Sydney, and people react to her as they will. She's a walking PR disaster on par with Dabbler and Harem, she's loud and obnoxious and hyper and coarse. She appeals to some characters, such as Peggy, Math, and Max, but most people she's interacted with so far have treated her as a dangerous curiosity rather than a likable person (or just plain hilarious, which is Harem's reaction to her, though Harem has shown no affection for her). She also isn't a physical bombshell (part of Peggy's "A-Team" and all), which has already given her some image issues.

Third is perfection - she annoys even people who like her (mainly Max) and is constantly making missteps around those she likes (such as Peggy, but Peggy is too laid back to get upset about it) and confounds the rest. She herself isn't the best at anything, or even particularly good at anything, she just has the balls Halo. The fact that she is one of the very few normals (okay, a very abnormal normal) in the cast makes her less likely to be a Mary Sue. If she starts tanking shots from Max without the forcefield ball due to her natural awesomeness, however, she can reapply for Mary Sue status.

I think the cast is pretty well done, without any true Mary Sues in their ranks. Dabbler comes close (expansive powerset with explicit manipulation abilities, already stated as having the widest variety of powers in the group, stated as having fought Max to a standstill, and having apparently fought and bested the demon that Max's powers allude to), but even she fails due to the fact that, like Sydney, she irritates virtually everyone (even her friends) with her personality.

Just remember, being very good doesn't make you a Mary Sue. A Mary Sue wins at everything because they're Mary Sue, not because of their abilities (which they usually have just because they're Mary Sue).
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

So it's working again. And yeah, ok Death Toll, you still don't have the brains, but I'll accept it's possible you have the skill and raw power.

So, progress for you.
    "I Burn!"

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Well.. if he had any serious brains he would not be standing where he currently were, but it seems like a person who grows stronger when attacked has just managed to antagonise the entire Archon team, so he isnt completely dumb.

He has also taken 2-3 members of Archon down already, that does seem like a pretty clear indication of raw power.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground

Syndey's powers seem very well selected to not let her show off all the time. In general she needs her shield up in any real fight otherwise she is a squishy mortal unlike nearly most of the rest of the team. She can't blast most of the time since its powerful, but poorly controlled. That leaves her with a tentacle. ...

Also I wonder what Sydney figured out? Or perhaps failed to figure out.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spytrap III, Ultimate Kaos II, Monty Python, Twin Village, Invasion of the Zombies: Outbreak, Vampires III

A new New York IC OOC

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Also I wonder what Sydney figured out? Or perhaps failed to figure out.
    He has no defense against being tickled by the molestorb!

ETA: Or slightly more seriously, that there's some limitation on his absorbing/re-using/borrowing others' powers. Thus tickling, not being a power, can't be absorbed.
    Last edited by BannedInSchool; 2014-08-28 at 02:05 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

My theory is that he's effectively Darwin - he's capable of countering all superpowers ("adapt to survive"). As a result, Sydney's going to drop her powers, walk up to him, and kick him in the groin.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2014-08-28 at 02:33 PM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

If it is like Darwin wouldn't he then grow a hardened jockstrap to "counter" Sydney's kick?
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

If it is the "adapt to any attacker" the plan is probably to put him in a box, and hope it doesn't count as an attack.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    If it is like Darwin wouldn't he then grow a hardened jockstrap to "counter" Sydney's kick?
    Depends on if he reacts to powers or attack. If he reacts to powers, he curls up and Sydney starts bragging about taking down a villain even veterans were falling to. If he reacts to attack, she hurts her foot in the attempt and lets out a stream of creative obscenity that breaks the tension nicely and Achilles gets his chance to save the day.

This hinges on whether Anvil's hold counts as a "powered" attack. Super strength is always tricky.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Ogre in the Playground

Sydney notes he may be using Heatwave's aura there, but she's been out of the fight for a bit now. There's also the question of what "them" Sydney's asking if Harem has found.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

My money is on forcefield over head, no oxygen gimmick.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

Oh. Re-reading the archive binge:
    Wouldn't it be hysterical if Dabbler and Max actually ended up together. They have such a lovely banter going...

15. - Top - End - #135
    Ogre in the Playground

And if you predicted:
    Spoiler: 2014-09-01
    Show
    The googly eyes you're a liar!

So the limitation is apparently that it's entirely reactive.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    And if you predicted:
    Spoiler: 2014-09-01
    Show
    The googly eyes you're a liar!

So the limitation is apparently that it's entirely reactive.
    Love seeing Max crack up.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ogre in the Playground

I liked the comment in the comments that Leon's already uploading this to YouTube.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Love seeing Max crack up.
    Yeah, her reaction (and the "He looks like an angry muppet!" line) had me laughing out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by BannedInSchool View Post
    I liked the comment in the comments that Leon's already uploading this to YouTube.
    That is just... gorgeous. Really. I can see him doing it, and it being glorious.
    Last edited by Calemyr; 2014-09-03 at 11:07 AM.
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Godwin Point.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't think I want to search on YouTube for:
    Spoiler: 2014-09-04
    Show
    Periwinkle Butt Sniffer

however.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

I really want them to do that to this guy.

Also, who wants to bet the trick is his defense trick only works on actual super powers?
    "I Burn!"

21. - Top - End - #141
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metahuman1 View Post
    Also, who wants to bet the trick is his defense trick only works on actual super powers?
    He was countering Dabbler's sword, which is either Magic or Science and may not qualify as Super, depending on your definitions. But I did wonder if Sydney's Alien Orb powers would qualify or not. Ah, the flashbangs were entirely mundane and would have seriously damaged an ordinary mortal, so I'd guess he'd be just as equally immune to a .50 to the head.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

I was thinking more along the lines of literally just a vanilla flavored Tazer/Pepper Spray/Crotch Shot.
    "I Burn!"

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ogre in the Playground

He does appear to be able to beat mundane attacks and magic and grabs. I think they need to stick him in a box and call it a day. Or teleport him some how into a jail cell.

Also it would be really awkward if he knew offensive magic or started protecting nuke girl.
    Last edited by Lamech; 2014-09-04 at 06:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

Just don't drop him or he'll disrupt the orbit of the Earth.

Which reminds me of problems with Anvil's power if it's not selectively controlled.
    "Aww, come on guys. You know I can't take the elevator."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Good news everyone: the author has not read Worm. If he had Death Toll would have gotten the Siberian's power followed by eating the entire crew.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC

26. - Top - End - #146
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lamech View Post
    Good news everyone: the author has not read Worm. If he had Death Toll would have gotten the Siberian's power followed by eating the entire crew.

Spoiler
    Show
    At least the siberian super power has a weakness. Gray boy simply can't be beaten without the right super powers.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

Last few pages have been so very good!

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    At least the siberian super power has a weakness. Gray boy simply can't be beaten without the right super powers.

Spoiler: worm spoilers
    Show
    Or Crawler. Or the Numbers Man. Or if we're feeling really unfair, Contessa.

Point being, Worm has the hax powers department well and truly covered.
    Truth resists simplicity.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SlyGuyMcFly View Post
    Last few pages have been so very good!

Spoiler: worm spoilers
    Show
    Or Crawler. Or the Numbers Man. Or if we're feeling really unfair, Contessa.

Point being, Worm has the hax powers department well and truly covered.
    Off topic but I will say it anyway:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Crawler isn't entirely immune to simple physical force, a sufficiently strong bomb to not leave anything to regenerate or dropping him into an volcano might work. The Numbers Man is dangerous yes but hardly undestroyable. For one his body isn't super powered, force him to fight long enough and he will get tired. At some point his ability won't matter anymore because he is too tired to effectively execute what he comes up with. Also a long distance Sniper might do the trick against him.

Contessa... Yeah she is a hard nut to crack. The problem isn't that there are no situations where she would die. (There are situations where there simply is no path to victory without additional super powers, big bombs where she isn't near enough to get to them in time but can't get out of the area either. The destruction of the planet she is on (without doorman). Or take the first time she mit Skitter/Weaver. Underground tunnel, pretend that the doorman can't just extract her because he complicates everything. Then pretend she is alone there with a big bug swarm and Skitter is far away on the surface controlling the bugs to kill her. As Skitter pointed out at some point her only way to win is when she starts killing them, when the attacking super isn't there to kill and she has nothing at hand to effetively take out bugs a sufficiently big swarm has a good chance to overhelm her in tight quarters.)

The problem is that if she is careful her power also allows her to avoid any situation where someone could checkmate her. If she didn't use it to check for dangers a sniper would work on her too. Her super power really is kinda imba. (Though technically the power description doesn't say that she always succeeds in executing a step, some involve acrobatic feats and precise timing and knowing exactly what you have to do doesn't necessarily mean that you can do it 100% of the time. But she never seemed to have any problems with that.)

29. - Top - End - #149
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

Off topic but I will say it anyway:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Though technically the power description doesn't say that she always succeeds in executing a step
    Spoiler
    Show
    Actually, if you read the interlude with her view point, it kinda does. Her power both tells her how to accomplish whatever she specifies and lets her perfectly with 100% accuracy carry out any physical actions required.

As for Contessa avoiding checkmates:
    Spoiler: more worm spoilers
    Show
    all she has to do is turn her power to a long term goal, and the plan it gives her will necessarily include keeping her alive long enough to carry it out.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2014-09-08 at 09:15 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler: Worm
    Show
    I meant the Siberian, the projection itself, not Manton. But yeah, Grey Boy would have put a stop to that as well. The point is if he had access to superpowers from Worm that fight would have gone differently.
    Spoiler
    Show

A new New York IC OOC