New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop, thread XVI

Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    So, was playing around with the special weapons in my bits box, and I noticed how 2 of the Plasma Pistols seem made to go with each other for dual wielding. Just wondering how effective people think 48 points for dual plasma pistol-wielding wolf guard is. I suspect that even with precision fire, it's a bad idea, but man did it look cool.
    Well, technically since characters can snipe out individual models they shoot at and wolf guard attatched to squads are characters.... (Just hit me: CML wolfguard attatched to grey hunters get to take care of those pesky Sanguinary priests hiding in jumper squads no problemo.)
    But we're talking quite a bit of points for a plasma pistoleer, and woofs lack the ability to get FNP, or Plasma Insurance, PLUS the changes to rapid fire make actual plasma guns, or even combi-weapons more attractive.

I could have seen it if pistols did what we wanted them to in close combat, but sadly, with a codex full of good, cheap options, we have to leave the dual pistols to someone else.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    EDIT: No thread title is better than ANYthing to do with ponies.
    Hot dog, we have a wiener! And I've edited one in, I was leaving it a bit to decide anyways.

There are quite a few blog posts and breakdowns of how much each army costs to start around, though geared towards the previous edition so not 100% 'accurate' now, but you're looking at around $500 at least. There should be a new starter set coming out soon with the rules and lots of minis though.
    But how much you can spend is very open ended - I've easily spent over $15,000 over the years.
    Princess in the streets.
    Princess in the sheets.
    Don't touch me I'm royalty.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Troll in the Playground

So, was playing around with the special weapons in my bits box, and I noticed how 2 of the Plasma Pistols seem made to go with each other for dual wielding. Just wondering how effective people think 48 points for dual plasma pistol-wielding wolf guard is. I suspect that even with precision fire, it's a bad idea, but man did it look cool.
    It doesn't sound too bad actually. Maybe give him the MotW so he still has a boost in CC?
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XVI: "Terminator? I hardly know 'er!"

So, how's this looking as a 6th Ed army?

HQ
    Coteaz 100
    Probably 2 divination powers

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor Rourke 91
    Rad Grenades, dude.
    Combi Bolter-melta
    Psyker- Force Sword, Probably Divination
    Power Armour (Odds are he'll be diving into the fray to make use of the hammerhand and grenades)
    Servo-skull

ELITES
    Purifier squad -203
    2 extra purifiers
    2 Psycannons
    5 Halberds
    Knight gets Master-crafted weapons

Vindicare assassin-145

TROOPS
    Henchman squad- 140
    2 Jokaero
    10 warriors
    -Storm Bolters

Henchman squad- 140
    2 Jokaero
    10 warriors
    -Storm Bolters

Henchman squad- 140
    2 Jokaero
    10 warriors
    -Storm Bolters

Henchman squad- 125
    3 Crusaders
    9 Warriors
    -3 Meltaguns
    -6 Storm bolters

Henchman squad- 125
    3 Crusaders
    9 Warriors
    -3 Meltaguns
    -6 Storm bolters

ALLIES -IMPERIAL GUARD
    Company Command Squad- 70
    Lascannon

Veteran Squad- 90
    Lascannon

Vendetta gunship- 130
    Last edited by LeSwordfish; 2012-07-05 at 05:00 AM.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Troll in the Playground

Right, are Psykers 100% necessary to be competitive now? It looks it, which is a shame.

I was thinking the 6th Company of the Crimson Fists would be good (and cheap, money-wise) to play. Also fun, and potentially powerful.

Basically, a tooled up Captain on a Bike with a Command Squad (storm shields ahoy) and two full Bike Squads (melta!), as well as two Stormtalons to provide anti-infantry, and to missile other flyers.

Not going for Korsarro Khan, since a normal Captain, tooled to the max with Artificer armour, a Storm Shield, a thunder hammer and hellfire rounds for his bike costs the same points. Sure, don't get furious charge, but dying won't happen to him. And he'll look like Lysander, except on a bike, so that's badass.

I don't really want to waste points on a Librarian on a Bike, although taking only one Stormtalon is a possibility. This will cost less money, too, I think!

Actually, thinking on it, Librarian sounds good..

Thoughts?

Spoiler
    Show

Captain Olbyn Kadena: 205 points

Captain
    Bike
    Thunder Hammer
    Storm Shield
    Hellfire Rounds

Command Squad: 335 points
    Company Standard
    3 meltaguns
    1 power fist
    4 Storm shields

Librarian: 135 points

Bike
    Machine Curse and Null Zone

Bike Squad: 310 points

5 extra bikes
    2 meltaguns
    1 attack bike with multi-melta
    1 power fist

5 extra bikes
    2 meltaguns
    1 power fist

Stormtalon: 155 points

Skyhammer missiles

50 points left over. Could be spent on a Land Speeder with a Heavy Bolter.

The Librarian, Captain and Command Squad make for a pretty awesome Death Star, against vehicles and 2+ infantry alike, thanks to melta, Null Zone and Machine Curse.

The Bike Squads aren't to be sniffed at either, packing plenty melta, and T5 power fists hidden in there.

The Stormtalon is there to chew up light infantry and to fire missiles at flyers. Also to get shot at by flyers, saving the Bikers.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-07-05 at 08:30 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Grey Knights
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grey; None.

Decent HQ, Decent Elites, strong Troops, strong Fast Attack, strong Heavy Support.

Grey Knights don't really want Allies. The only Allies really worth considering are Blood Angels for another Flyer in Heavy Support. Other than that, most Marine armies can bring you Teleport Homers or Locator Beacons and Imperial Guard and Eldar can give you +1 to your Reserve rolls. But, what you really want is more Deep Striking Melta and maybe even some Plasma to deal with opposing 2+ Armour since your Force Weapons don't really cut it - excuse the pun. If you want Allies, look for something that's fast.

HQ; Check the Grand Master's ability. Units are Scoring. Even when you're Blue Allies. This is actually useful for Orks and Dark Eldar. Otherwise Inquisitors are good too if you need to be cheap because what you really want is everything else...
    Elites; Warbands don't take a slot. Purifiers are always a solid choice if you bring enough of them. Only bring Paladins if you're bringing Draigo too.
    Troops; Paladins. But it's always worth looking at Strike Knights because Warp Quake really is that good. Terminators are okay if Dark Angel Allies are unavailable to you.
    Fast Attack; Stormravens.
    Heavy Support; Since you can't spam Psyflemen, taking a Purgation squad isn't a bad idea since Psycannons really are that good.

Imperial Guard
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grey; Black Templars, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Sisters of Battle, Space Marines, Space Wolves

Strong HQ, weak Elites, Strong Toops, decent Fast Attack, strong Heavy Support.

I'll be honest. Imperial Guard don't want Allies. Maybe some Scoring Deathwing, or a squad of Strike Knights or two. But that's about it. The more points you spend on other things are less points you're spending on Imperial Guard. More points available to you equals more Infantry and Tanks which are way better than most other Codecies. That said, Imperial Guard don't want Allies much, but everyone else wants Imperial Guard because they have something good in every slot.

HQ; Command Squads bring +1 to Reserves, -1 Opponent Reserves. Lots of Plasma or Melta.
    Elites; Meh. Ratlings are okay because they're cheap and a unit full of Sniper weapons.
    Troops; Lots and lots of Scoring units if your parent Codex has bad and/or expensive Troops. Heavy Weapon squads are a very important source of cheap Autocannons and Lascannons.
    Fast Attack; Vendettas come 3 to a squadron.
    Heavy; Leman Russes come 3 to a squadron.

Necrons
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grey; None.

Strong HQ, Decent Elites, Strong Troops, decent Fast Attack, Strong Heavy Support.

Your options are Chaos Space Marines (what?), Grey Knights (what?), Orks (what?) and Tau. Chaos Space Marines are an okay choice. Grey Knights are fine. Stay away from Orks and Tau are only trying to do what you're already doing. Necrons don't want to be Allies since they want to spam everything they own, but, if you must...

HQ; Imotekh is helpful. But Overlords are okay as well.
    Elites; Deathmarks are an entire unit of Snipers which are kind of amazing.
    Troops; Warriors bring lots of Gauss. That's all you want. Night Scythes are Flyers.
    Fast Attack; Scarabs are crazy annoying.
    Heavy Support; Doom Scythe is a Flyer.

Typically you're bringing Necrons to bring one or more of 3 things;
    1. Lots of Gauss.
    2. Lots of AV13.
    3. Lots of Flyers.

Orks
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grey; None.

Decent HQ, Decent Elites, weak Troops, weak Fast Attack, weak Heavy Support.

Your options are Chaos Space Marines, Imperial Guard, Necrons and Tau. Chaos brings a couple of units of Plague Marines, Imperial Guard can bring some real Lascannons and Autocannons to the table to help you out, and Necrons and Tau bring some proper, survivable shooting power to your side while your Orks can try to Assault. Orks really don't want to be the parent Codex though since the only good thing they have - really - are Nob Bikers, so just take those and go with a good parent Codex.

HQ; Kustom Force Fields are very handy. Or a Warboss if you want some Troops.
    Elites; Snikrot's Kommandos are helpful. And you can have a second unit of Nob Bikers here.
    Troops; Nob Bikers are a very tough unit that Imperial Guard and Necrons probably wont have normally. The only issue is that Nob Bikers are expensive and you probably want to spend points on your parent list.
    Fast Attack; Pick your favourite Ork flyer.
    Heavy Support; None? Save your points? Buy more Bikers.

Sisters of Battle
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grey; Imperial Guard

But your other choices are Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Grey Knights, Space Marines and Space Wolves. Typically your best best will be Dark Angels or Grey Knights, since they bring strong, hard units to the table. Space Wolves and Marines will only bring you more Bolters in Power Armour which you already have. Blood Angels can bring you some decent Assault units. But, so do Grey Knights. Imperial Guard just brings more bodies and more tanks.

Due to the Faith Cap, Sisters actually do okay as Allies since they'll always have enough Faith to go 'round, and they don't really have any spammable units outside of Heavy Support which means they're not exactly ideal as the parent Codex anyway.

HQ; Canoness and Command Squad can bring another Melta unit to the table. And Battle Conclaves are always good. But Grey Knights can do that too.
    Elites; Repentia Squads are a very nice choice for Imperial Guard. Feel No Pain, Fleet and Rage give a very strong Assault unit that you probably don't otherwise have.
    Troops; Battle Sisters. Cheap Scoring Bolters. Can go up to 20 models. Why not?
    Fast Attack; Meh. None of your available Allies have worse Fast Attack than you do. So let your parent Codex use the points.
    Heavy Support; Retributors are very good if you need a source of Rending Heavy Bolters to just glance the poop out of something. Exorcists really do want to be spammed though to get the most out of their random Missiles.

Don't forget to bring Immolators.

Space Marines
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grey; Black Templars, Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Imperial Guard, Space Wolves and Tau.

Strong HQ, Strong Elites, decent Troops, Strong Fast Attack, okay Heavy Support.

There's some really messed up things you can do with Space Marines. But you have to remember that your Combat Tactics doesn't affect anyone except you.

HQ;
    Sicarius lets you re-roll the StI roll. Pair with Imotekh or Vect to make it 4+. He also has FNP and 2+ Armour for unkillableness.
    Pedro makes Sternguard Scoring, even when you're Blue Allies.
    Lysander makes your Aegis Defense Line even more broken. And sticking him in a unit of Long Fangs with Heavy Bolters can be fun. But, even if he does slow them down, Lysander in a large squad of Death Company works wonders.
    Shrike will let you Infiltrate said unit of Death Company. And he has Fleet so wont slow them down at all. Or you could Infiltrate some Thunderwolves. Y'know. Break the game.
    He'Stan is definitely a good pick if your army needs more Melta (Grey Knights).
    Kor'Sarro lets everyone Outflank, and he - or any Captain - on a Bike makes Bikes Troops...And Bikes are really good. Bring two big units. And a Command Squad. Outflank everything. Definitely a choice for Imperial Guard and an Astropath. Otherwise Kor'Sarro can give H&R and Furious Charge to a big unit of Black Templars or Imperial Guard Infantry.

Bike Command Squads don't take an FO Slot and absolutely ruin things.

Librarians bring Null Zone. No. The new discipline powers are not better.

Elites; Suicide Sternguard is fun. Deep Strike means you're not on the board anyway, and Pedro can make them Scoring. Always a consideration, even for Blue Allies.
    Troops; Bikes as Troops is bananas. Take big units. Otherwise a full unit of Scouts and Telion makes Snipering fun. Precision Shots are hilarious.
    Fast Attack; Stormtalon if you want to Outflank things. Otherwise Land Speeders come with a lot of firepower for kind-of cheap, or can just be a simple source of Heavy Flamer templates for Imperial Guard and Tau.
    Heavy Support; Nothing you couldn't really bring if you were Allied to any other Marine Codex, but worse. Most of the good stuff is in the Troops and HQ parts anyway.

Space Wolves
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grey; Black Templars, Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, Space Marines

Strong HQs, decent Elites, Strong Troops, decent Fast Attack, Strong Heavy Support. No Flyers.

Space Wolves really, really want to be the parent list. Do not go and take their slots from them. Dark Angels and Grey Knights can bring cheaper Terminators than Logan can, and that's about it, really. The only thing Wolves actually want are Flyers. So, Imperial Guard or Blood Angels.

HQ; Njal. lawl. Rune Priests come two-to-a-slot. Don't bother with Logan. If you want that kind of Alliance, bring Dark Angels or Grey Knights instead.
    Elites; Wolf Scouts are always good. But if you can't otherwise get it, a big Wolf Guard unit full of Characters is always fun.
    Troops; Grey Hunters.
    Fast Attack; Thunderwolves for everyone! Especially for Imperial Guard, Sisters or Eldar.
    Heavy Support; Long Fangs are for winners.

Tau
    Spoiler
    Show
    Grey; Space Marines and Eldar.

Decent HQ, Decent Elites, Decent Troops, weak Fast Attack, strong Heavy Support. No Flyers.

Tau don't specifically stand out in any area except Heavy Support, and, even then, so do a lot of armies. Typically you'll want to go with Allies who augment your anti-Infantry fire with lots of anti-tank fire that you don't have on your Troops. Dark Angels, Imperial Guard and Necrons are your best choices, IG and Necrons can also bring Flyers for you.

This is your standard Tau Allies build. Don't bother deviating, it wont work.

HQ; Commander. Bodyguards don't take slots.
    Elites; Crisis Suits.
    Troops; Fire Warriors. Bring EMP Grenades. Watch 'wussy' Fire Warriors bring down Dreadnoughts in Assault.
    Fast Attack; Markerlights don't work for non-Tau. Take Piranhas for Melta support (Dark Angels, Grey Knights, etc.)
    Heavy Support; Broadsides. If Sniper Teams had 'Sniper' they might be worth considering, but they don't, so the name doesn't make sense. So just bring Broadsides.

Tyranids
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't ally with anyone.

Copy-Pasted into previous half.
    Full post link for Guide/OP.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-07-05 at 07:59 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

7. - Top - End - #37
    Barbarian in the Playground

Impressive as always CG.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

@Cheesegear: Couple of comments on the Space Wolves bit:

1) Runic Weapons do exactly what they always did. But Psychic Hoods don't. Runic Weapons also don't care if you're not with Battle Brothers, since it's the enemy using the power that they cancel, not it affecting an allied unit (unlike Psychic hoods again). Therefore, even a bare bones Rune Priest is a fantastic addition to a list. Give him 2 divination powers, and you've got a great support unit.
    2) Wolf Scouts can't assault the turn they come out of reserves anymore (well, no one can, but you get my point). So Gunline no longer really cares about them. So, not that great anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by bluntpencil View Post
    Right, are Psykers 100% necessary to be competitive now? It looks it, which is a shame.

I was thinking the 6th Company of the Crimson Fists would be good (and cheap, money-wise) to play. Also fun, and potentially powerful.

Basically, a tooled up Captain on a Bike with a Command Squad (storm shields ahoy) and two full Bike Squads (melta!), as well as two Stormtalons to provide anti-infantry, and to missile other flyers.

Not going for Korsarro Khan, since a normal Captain, tooled to the max with Artificer armour, a Storm Shield, a thunder hammer and hellfire rounds for his bike costs the same points. Sure, don't get furious charge, but dying won't happen to him. And he'll look like Lysander, except on a bike, so that's badass.

I don't really want to waste points on a Librarian on a Bike, although taking only one Stormtalon is a possibility. This will cost less money, too, I think!

Actually, thinking on it, Librarian sounds good..

Thoughts?

Spoiler
    Show

Captain Olbyn Kadena: 205 points

Captain
    Bike
    Thunder Hammer
    Storm Shield
    Hellfire Rounds

Command Squad: 335 points
    Company Standard
    3 meltaguns
    1 power fist
    4 Storm shields

Librarian: 135 points

Bike
    Machine Curse and Null Zone

5 extra bikes
    2 meltaguns
    1 power fist

5 extra bikes
    2 meltaguns
    1 power fist

Stormtalon: 155 points

Skyhammer missiles

50 points left over. Could be spent on a Land Speeder with a Heavy Bolter.
    Kahn is White Scars, not crimson fists Also, the Crimson fists don't have a 6th company, if memory serves. They're down to about 300 marines, if memory serves.

As far as the list goes... I don't see any glaring problems, but I'd hardly consider bikes a budget list.
    Last edited by Squark; 2012-07-05 at 08:49 AM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

9. - Top - End - #39
    Troll in the Playground

Kahn is White Scars, not crimson fists Also, the Crimson fists don't have a 6th company, if memory serves. They're down to about 300 marines, if memory serves.

As far as the list goes... I don't see any glaring problems, but I'd hardly consider bikes a budget list.
    Ah, they currently have about 500 guys. I figured they'd be split across multiple companies, all under strength. Also, their 6th Company Captain is listed as still alive on Lexicanum, so went with him (that's where I got his name from :) ). He's one of the few listed as not dead, and the 6th Company, in Codex Chapters, often ride bikes. :D

Khan, was thinking of 'rename a Captain from another Chapter' as the Codex says. Personally, I prefer an unkillable tank of a man on a bike. Fits Fists better.

Bikes, I feel, make for a budget list, since you can get the bits on Ebay real cheap.
    Last edited by bluntpencil; 2012-07-05 at 08:35 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Grey Knights

Tyranids
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can't ally with anyone.
    Not only that, but outflanking troops can't assault the turn they come in, so genestealers are no longer a real threat from reserve. Warriors still get IDed by S8 and above, and with the new wound rules its almost impossible for a Prime to shield them from missle shots. On the plus side, boneswords still rape terminator face :)

Tyranids can't manual fire emplaced weapons EVER, which means that not only can they not get Flyers - flying monstrous creatures get no bonuses against Flyers, and unless they FAQ it, if a FMC gets HIT (thats HIT, not wound!), they take a 3+ save, and if they fail they plow into the ground, take a S9 hit no saves (basically an autowound), and can be shot normally, but Tyranids have absolutely no Skyfire weapons, don't have any kind of Flyer, can't take an ally that DOES have flyers, and if they take a weapon emplacement that has Skyfire, it is stuck on autofire, so it'll probably never target what you want hit!

So all the shiny new toys that everybody else gets to play with? Nids are kind of stuck in the corner with nothing to do. I'm definitely shelving them in favor of my new Grey Knights until a new codex comes along and fixes them (I mean they were never top tier before, but now they're all the way on the bottom).
    Last edited by Olinser; 2012-07-05 at 08:36 AM.

ALL HAIL THE GREAT RAK!!

I use the same name in every game I ever play or forum I join (except the pretender on PSN that forced me to be RealOlinser). If you see an Olinser in a game or on a website, there's a high chance it's me, feel free to shoot me a message.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Troll in the Playground

Whilst I think most of the changes are great, some things just jump at me.

Tyranids not having Genestealer Cult allies is one thing.

Another is Space Marines not getting Divination. "What?!" I hear you cry. Tigurius is specifically made out to be a Diviner in the fluff. He has an ability called 'Prescience', dammit. Remove Pyromancy or Telepathy in favour of Divination for Marines, urgh...

12. - Top - End - #42
    Dwarf in the Playground

I get my DE Codex tomorrow and also am sitting down with the owner of the shop to hammer out an army. The owner has been playing since last Novemeber so hopefully will get some good informaiton from him. All in all I am excited. I will probably get a rule book later because the shop has one and I will be playing there a lot then other places.
    If any of you wish to follow me my twitter is @RetroGamer1224. I am fun but #NSFW

13. - Top - End - #43

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    (I mean they were never top tier before, but now they're all the way on the bottom).
    Ork player here--I want my bottom rung back.

While I do agree that Genestealers were nerfed into the ground, Flying Monsterous Creatures (of which the Nid Codex has at least 3 if memory serves) seem to be incredibly powerful with the new ruleset. My Nid-Bro is planning on returning to the old Nidzilla style list, but with Flyrants and Harpies instead of 900 Carnifexes (he'll still probably field a trio of those, barebones, and charge them forward for the Rage Rule).

Speaking of the rage rule, Hormagaunts love being in front. Move, Run like crazy, move out of Synapse. Move, Assault, re-roll any offending dice, dive into the enemy lines with some 5 attacks each, scything talons, and Furious / Toxin for a re-rollable 4+ to wound against MEq. Sure, they have the same unfortunate weakness to getting shot in the face that they always did, but if you were worried about losing bodies, you'd buy even more bodies and a Venomthrope. Or play GK Paladins instead, or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear
    Elites; Snikrot's Kommandos are helpful.
    Since your Reserves can no longer come racing on to the field and jump right into an assault, I just can't figure out how Kommandos can be of any use. I love my Kommandos (many of them delightful minor conversions), and I love my Snikrot, but now they seem so useless to me. Are you seeing something I'm not?

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Olinser View Post
    Tyranids can't manual fire emplaced weapons EVER, which means that not only can they not get Flyers - flying monstrous creatures get no bonuses against Flyers
    Vector Strikes on FMCs. It's a pretty poor defense if you're going first. But it still works. It works better when you can totally random roll the first Biomancy power every time because random dice totally work like that.

But, otherwise yeah. Along with Orks, Tyranids got the hard nerf. They were good for a brief time as they had some of the best Grey Knight-killing units in the game, and thus one of the Codecies in the game if you were in the meta-game of 60% Grey Knights. At least 'Nids are still better than Orks.

And here's why Flyers destroy the hobby;
    The best defense against Flyers is other Flyers. Optional Skyfire means they can shoot at anything they want depending on the phase and aren't rendered useless if your opponent doesn't have any Flyers of their own or all the Flyers are dead. Unlike Hydras which become useless very quickly.

Arguably, the best Flyer in the game is the Vendetta. Good armour. And Trip-Lascannons for busting other Flyers.

If I'm playing against Imperial Guard, let's say he has two Vendettas. 260 Points...In addition to everything else.

I want my own Flyers damn it! But I'm playing with a Codex that doesn't have any Flyers. Dark Angels, Space Wolves or Tau, for example as they're popular armies. Poop. Looks like I'm forced to Ally with someone who can shoot down those Vendettas. But, most Flyers are found in the Fast or Heavy sections, and, unless I'm Allying with Guard or Necrons, I can only take one Flyer. All of these Flyers (since they're the only units I'm interested in, since Space Wolves can do everything), have additional HQ and Troops points attachments that I'm forced to take, and, again, I can only take one Flyer usually.

So, f* that. How 'bout I just play an army that can take as many Flyers as it wants without extraneous points costs attached? I've already got an HQ and a Troops, why do I need to take more of them to have access to a Flyer?

And that's why everybody is jumping to Blood Angels, Necrons, Grey Knights and Imperial Guard (if you weren't already in 5th), because they can take as many Flyers as they can afford. Interestingly enough, also, even before 'The Flyer Factor', these four are the armies that also least want Allies anyway.

EDIT: Snikrot's Kommandos indeed do suck. So I took that out. But Outflanking Bikes with Kahn still works because Bikers are good at shooting with Meltaguns and Flamers and can bring a Stormtalon with them. Wolf Scouts are less powerful than they were, but they're still decent in an Allied detachment, which is why they're there.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2012-07-05 at 09:44 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

15. - Top - End - #45

what do you think of the DE fliers? to me they just seem a bit flimsy in comparison to the others, although I don't know the Ork and potato fliers. In 5th this was compensated by being ludriculously fast and having (and paying for) the rules to handle that but in 6th I'm not so sure.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

I'm still betting on every missile launcher getting Flakks soon enough.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

I'm still betting on every missile launcher getting Flakks soon enough.
    After everyone has bought their flyers of course
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

18. - Top - End - #48
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    Oh, god, yeah.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Suddenly, the reason flakk missiles aren't in the FAQs yet makes sense.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

Suddenly, the reason flakk missiles aren't in the FAQs yet makes sense.
    I really hate listening to that huge, cynical, part of me, but I can't help it. It seems so true.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Colossus in the Playground

Luckily, I don't play much 40k anyway. I'll just play some more fantasy until the next Eldar codex comes out.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

22. - Top - End - #52

Suddenly, playing Orks doesn't seem all that bad.

Take some balsa wood, cut plasticard, throw in a little duct tape....and BAM. $1.00 Flyers. Armor's dead-on for the real thing, and they're the only flyer you can actually crash without breaking anything important.
    Last edited by Hootman; 2012-07-05 at 01:30 PM.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

I was going to buy Snikrot and a bunch of Kommandos. However, the entire point of them has been written out the game now, so I'll just get an extra Dakkajet now. Seems the best way of my Orks getting anti-air support, it seems pretty much mandatory now. Especially if I come across a Daemonic or Nid flying Circus.

Orks seem to have been hit really hard, it's a bit frustrating. Good job that my army's more Dakka, less Choppa.

Will be doing a Chaos army when the new 'dex is out - the (almost definite) plastic cultists in the box set have pretty much swung it for me.
    i watched your heart turn black.

24. - Top - End - #54

Do Eldar actually have anything anti-flyer in the codex? I don't remember anything, and Apocalypse will need an update first before it becomes playable.

25. - Top - End - #55

Do Eldar actually have anything anti-flyer in the codex? I don't remember anything, and Apocalypse will need an update first before it becomes playable.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Well, they do have an apocalypse unit with AA-mount for 200+points. However I did not notice thar unit in the Eldar errata.

So, no, they don't. At least not yet.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Well... Allies and Aegis Defense lines. To be fair, though, the only people with anti-air are people with fliers and Guard (who have Basalisks, although those aren't great because they're dedicated anti-air).

28. - Top - End - #58
    Troll in the Playground

To be fair, for Eldar, you could just take Dark Eldar allies, and convert their Razorwing to be less spiky and evil.

Could do the same for their other troops. 'They're not Dark Eldar, honest.'

29. - Top - End - #59

Or use the Corsairs Imperial Armour 11 rules. That has stats for the Eldar flyers. Allowing them to count as supersonic skimmers in non-apocalypse games.

Under the new rules they'd be supersonic flyers.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

30. - Top - End - #60
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    Or use the Corsairs Imperial Armour 11 rules. That has stats for the Eldar flyers. Allowing them to count as supersonic skimmers in non-apocalypse games.

Under the new rules they'd be supersonic flyers.
    How would imperial Thunderbolts count? I don't have any new forge world books since Raid on Kastorel Novem.