1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default creative with junk

I'm actually in my first ever D&D game. Sure I've played some RPG's on my computer and some boardgames that were similar in concept but nothing with the the same potential for the players to get 'creative'.

I've read some threads about simple and or cheap things that can (help) do amazing things with just smart application. Some marbles can replicate the grease spell, a handful of dirt can make invisible things visible or blind an opponent.

I'm sure there are countless things that can be done with what you can get (almost) for free.
    Awesome Delirium-avatar by Recaiden
    Looking for friendly contact with an evil outsider in the fanclub

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Default Re: creative with junk

Things I've used in game were iron pot lids, cubes of sugar, thin strips of lead, friendly ants, ladders, wash basins, oil, manacles, kitchen knives, small mirrors, files, diaries, pitchers of water and probably other things I can't remember. Basically, whenever in a situation where you're stuck on what to do, a quick look around for equipment and stuff that can be used as equipment can get you through some real scrapes.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Never, ever underestimate water. We nearly flooded an entire room once to pinpoint an invisible enemy's location. Also if you ever get a hold of a wand with a lot of charges on it and need to blow something up quick, break the wand, the look on the DM's face when you tell him what you want to do is priceless.
    Last edited by HunterColt22; 2012-07-05 at 05:45 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

No rogue in the party? Doomed to die in a trap infested dungeon?

Take a few pigs along with you, when you go...with the added advantage that there's bacon for breakfast...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

If you have a problem a 10ft pole can't fix...it can't be fixed
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

Now I know this is less "creative use of items" but one of my favorite feats in the Aberration Blood chain is the Scavenging Gullet feat.

You gain nourishment from eating any organic material, despite its freshness or source. You gain a +4 racial bonus on Fortitude saves to resist the effect of ingested poisons, as well as on Fortitude saves to resist diseases caused by ingested substances (such as spoiled food).

Find a dumpster in every town and you never have to order inn food again!
    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Anyway, regarding Scion of Tem-Et-Nu, I'm just imagining a warrior trying to engage in single combat with a hippo, and another hippo waddles over:

"No, this is honorable single combat! Go away! Shoo!"
    I love Jade_Tarem

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HunterColt22 View Post
    Also if you ever get a hold of a wand with a lot of charges on it and need to blow something up quick, break the wand, the look on the DM's face when you tell him what you want to do is priceless.
    Which ruleset does this assume? Because that doesn't work in 3.5, I know. ("Only certain items, including the staff of the magi and the staff of power, are capable of being used for a retributive strike." Wands are not included.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" Use of gray may indicate nitpicking Green is sincerity

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

NinjaGuy

10ft ladder, very helpful

chaotic water (arm&equip) really shuts up paladins

pitch fork, really helps to blend in with the angry mob

20lb keg of gunpowder (DMG pg145 DM never let me get near ships magazine again ) if you cant find ways to use this to get you out of trouble then your not trying. from stubborn doors to tricky diplomatic negotiations never let me down
    Quoth the Raven "Nevermore."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    I've read some threads about simple and or cheap things that can (help) do amazing things with just smart application. Some marbles can replicate the grease spell, a handful of dirt can make invisible things visible or blind an opponent.
    Sounds like you've already talked to Shax. That's more or less my go-to guide for how to break a dungeon in half with only 100 GP.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    I'm sure there are countless things that can be done with what you can get (almost) for free.
    Shapesand! Oh, if I only knew what the editors were smoking when they let that one slip through...

On the old BG boards, there's also the Complete MacGuyver guide... looks like it hasn't migrated to the minmax boards yet.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Which ruleset does this assume? Because that doesn't work in 3.5, I know. ("Only certain items, including the staff of the magi and the staff of power, are capable of being used for a retributive strike." Wands are not included.)
    Personally I don't think it does, this is taken from my current DM who has warned us time and again to never break magic items considering what they do, which in his eyes is make a big boom. He has been playing since 1st edition I think, and since they never really implemented a rule stating otherwise after 2nd editions magic items go boom if broken, he keeps that up.

Also shape stone, what a funny little spell. One of sessions a few months ago.

DM: "You discover a statue of a god."

Palidan: "Detect Evil."

DM: "Lots and lots of evil."

Palidan: "Knowledge Religion, 30"

DM "It's a statue of Nerull."

Palidan: "Don't touch the statue."

Druid: "Stone Shape. I stone shape, the statue of Nerull, into.... a big old penis."

DM: ".... You feel a cold presence over your shoulder."

We all then proceeded to die from laughter.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by whibla View Post
    No rogue in the party? Doomed to die in a trap infested dungeon?

Take a few pigs along with you, when you go...with the added advantage that there's bacon for breakfast...
    Oh, you wonderfully, bacony genius! I usually just let summoned creatures (and/ or the barbarian) set off the traps... but the idea of having "free" bacon?! Amazing!

As for the OP, I carry around a whole lot of junk as a "standard adventuring kit" (Saddlebags (2 sets), 50ft silk rope, Flint & Steel, Grapple Hook, 10 pitons, hammer, 5 torches, whetstone, 2 sacks, Earplugs, saw, 6 bags chalk powder, Pulley, 2 Waterskins, Mules (2), drill, compass, Oil (10 flasks), chalk (3pcs), week trail rations, Signal horn, 50 twine, fish hook, magnet, 50' hemp rope, Signet Ring, Bedroll, Cart, 2 days feed, riding saddle) and just recently managed to use the needle and magnet to pull the time honored "Survivalist Compass".

My Dm actually had a problem with that requiring a Survival roll for my character to figure it out. And yet he has no qualms when i used shirukens and pitons to wedge a door closed. go figure.
    Last edited by That_guy_there; 2012-07-06 at 01:27 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12

GreenSorcererElf

A decanter of endless water, a bag of tricks, sovereign glue and a funnel.

Alone, they are useful.

Together, they are.. a Badger-Launcher.
    Life is an illusion. Please make a will save to avoid disbelieving yourself.

This PSA brought to you by Beholders for a less monkey infested future.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks guys.

I have some great stuff here to read over and implement.
    Awesome Delirium-avatar by Recaiden
    Looking for friendly contact with an evil outsider in the fanclub

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by That_guy_there View Post
    Oh, you wonderfully, bacony genius! I usually just let summoned creatures (and/ or the barbarian) set off the traps... but the idea of having "free" bacon?! Amazing!
    Well you really need a flaming sword for the stylish instant sliced cooked bacon, but a frying pan will do. Frying pans have a number of other uses too.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook

15. - Top - End - #15

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by invaderk2 View Post
    If you have a problem a 10ft pole can't fix...
    Get a 15ft pole.
    Formerly known as Stu42.

Beguiler beguilers beguiler beguilers beguile beguile beguiler beguilers.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

This is a great thread also get a water clock

17. - Top - End - #17
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    Get a 15ft pole.
    That's 4' longer than you need.

There is an old trick where you buy an 11' pole. This will do everything a 10' pole will do, plus cover those situations where the module designer has arranged for a 10' pole to be not quite long enough.
    π = 4
    Consider a 5' radius blast: this affects 4 squares which have a circumference of 40' Actually it's worse than that.

Completely Dysfunctional Handbook

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stu42 View Post
    Get a 15ft pole.
    "The icy cold fingers of reason have choked the life out of this thread and despite all logic it keeps squirming", nope, it's dead.

"Occasionally I'd just like someone to quote me in their signature"
    -Invader

Epic threads with awesome revelations.

Awesome Avatar by Kymme!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    A decanter of endless water, a bag of tricks, sovereign glue and a funnel.

Alone, they are useful.

Together, they are.. a Badger-Launcher.
    Added to signature

Quote Originally Posted by Ninja PieKing View Post
    This is a great thread also get a water clock
    Water clocks are way too expensive compared to a free survival check. Not to mention that in the PHB they even say that knowing the exact time isn't very useful seeing as not many other people own a water clock
    Last edited by _flint_; 2012-07-08 at 09:29 PM.
    Kickass avatar by Tiffanie Lirle

Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Kobold-Bard View Post
    Not illegal (and it largely doesn't matter due to Divine Salient Abilities), but Moradin has 14 levels in Expert. WotC decided that the God of all Dwarves took an NPC class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    Wow. Next dwarf I meet in-game I'm totally figuring out a way to rag on him about that.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

4gp = 1 square yard of linen. If your DM is lenient see if you can have this be 1 square yard of terrycloth instead. Then you can be a really hoopy frood.