New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Lords of Creation: Boundless Wonder, Endless Strife. [IC] [Part II]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Lords of Creation: Boundless Wonder, Endless Strife. [IC] [Part II]

What may be perceived as the present

A god was in an argument.

"It is time to act!"

"Patience Arranan, we can't be sure of that yet. Being thought dead is a remarkable advantage."

Arranan paced around the fire twisting his twin swords in hand. The fox with whom he was speaking with lay comfortably as his eyes followed the young warrior.

"Any advantage at all is meaningless if we sit here for eternity doing nothing!"

"Until we know the consequences of our brethren awakening a neutral stance is to our greatest advantage."

"Or we could strike now before the other gods get back on their feet."

"Would friends like to know what Dien thinks? Dien believes subject Arranan proved a most successful prototype. Dien suggests we continue with the manifestation of the Renati."

"Watch yourself puppet." Arranan said as he swung down with his blade removing the head of the mannequin. The head rolled along the floor in haphazard circles before coming to a stop.

From its place on the ground the head continued. "Dien meant no offense. Arranan has proven himself a worthy aspect. This has already been noted." The rest of the body bowed towards the warrior as it spoke. Lystelle laughed at the puppet's antics. She had been sitting to the side; plucking the petals from a periwinkle.

"Dien is pleased to entertain."

Faydin growled in disapproval.

"Stop playing with the puppet Reisen. If you have something to say speak it with your own voice."

"Very well Faydin." The golden furred serpent whispered. His coils stretched all around them; circling off the conversation.

"I agree with your assessment, the time to act is not yet upon us. Though it will soon arrive."

"You've been saying that since I arrived Reisen."

Lystelle cocked her head. "But Arranan, that was only five minutes ago."

"It was five minutes here. That doesn't mean the rest of the world has been waiting on us."

Lystelle sighed. "However long it's been I'm sure things won't have changed that much."

"It's been two thousand years! Of course the world has changed!"

"Does anyone want to know what I have to say?" Spoke the flames.

"Not really."

"Oh."

"Then we are agreed?" Reisen asked.

Yes.

All at once the aspects shifted into infinite six winged butterflies. Each wing reflecting a different picture of the world as the eyes of the spirit foxes became the eyes of a god. In that flurry of movement the aspect of Arranan added one last thought before the fool returned to itself.

"Okay so I was wrong. Nothing has changed."

Spoiler
    Show
    All AP Spent:
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is all the ap spent since the beginning of the game. It's organized into blocks of seven with the domain directly afterwards. And I've had Journeys: Protection and Mind: Cunning for a very long time. I believe my last expenditure of AP before the timeskip was infusing the winter lords and blessing the vinterike. The game started on may 10th with 15 AP for the starting gods. Reisen became a lesser god on the 24th with domain gain mind (cunning) the same week he joined the directors. Therefore he had gained 8 rollover AP prior to this action. Since then there have been six rollovers. Which would put him at 30 AP plus whatever PAP he had spent in time, however I believe he ran into the lesser diety wall last week and only gained 2 ap. As a result the total AP should equal 15 + 8 + 27 + (8) = 58.
    Starting Domains, Change: Transmutation, Illusion: Trickery
    4 - Labyrinth
    1 - Spirit Foxes
    1 - High Roads
    1 - Bless
    3 - Domain, Journeys: Protection
    4 - Wyrms
    1 - Serpent's Range
    2 - Infuse
    1 + (2) - Domain, Mind: Cunning
    1 + (1) - Lords of Winter
    (1) - Bless
    2 - Infuse
    1 - Join Directors
    2 - Infuse
    1 - Ice Age
    1 + (2) - Domain, Deceit: Theft
    2 - Vinterike/Northern Kingdoms
    4 - Hallorn/???
    1 - Lesser concept, constant flow of time
    1 + (2) - Domain, Time: Transience
    Remaining AP: 16

This is here mostly for my benefit. I'd suggest everyone else does at well, as it might be a good idea to check everyone's math.

I might add that I've spent PAP today because I decided to post this early. I think it should be fine, he won't be fighting anyone soon and today or tomorrow the rollover next saturday is the same.

One last note: the aspects only talk in different fonts when speaking with each other. When communicating with the outside world they all sound as if they're speaking in dark orange. Of course they still don't sound the same IC but... you get the idea.

Reposted here because I think it's a good intro of things to come, and now I can officially spend the PAP.
    Avatar Credit: the very talented PseudoStraw. Full image:
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Frozen Lands

Halasht's envoy wandered the tundra, growing more and more distraught over the state of the Ice-kin, unseen to all. Few were those, isolated from society, that held to the traditions of the old! Where were the heroes? Where were the champions, that sought honor and glory, to make themselves known? Feh. These people were naught but complacent shadows of an era he could recall....well, in his thoughts at least.

Bitter, the envoy wandered through a nameless region of tundra, scouring for a glimmer of light. He shouldn't have stepped forth, he shouldn't have gone, he shouldn't have had his rememberances tarnished....but then, he heard a tremendous and terrible noise. A metallic beast, seven heads, each with eyes empty of life glaring down at a group of humans. Hah! At last, a challenge! The envoy drew his sword, rushing forth at the hydra, seen only by the hydra should it notice him...and the boy.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Profaniti, Captain Eric

The Avaricia chuckled, white light, the same light that burned in his eyes, burned also deep in his mouth. It was a pure white light, but it was harsh... cold. "Well, I come with another such offer, but unlike the last offer this is not for a personal paradise on Earth. As per Isanloff's orders, we must do whatever we can to alleviate suffering, this is one such effort. We have been given a divine gift to deliver to the one who would aid in this noble endeavor, and we believe you and your fellow Knights are the only ones who are capable of it."
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

The Frozen Lands

One of the heads of the great monster notices an oncoming attacker,turning its beady black eyes towards him.

It opens its gigantic maw and screeches at the envoy, a sound that does not ring particularly loud, but so grave and with such a slow wave that its expanding advance can be seen in the air, the echoes of its approach sufficient to make stones tremble and bones tingle.
    Last edited by Draken; 2012-07-05 at 09:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

6. - Top - End - #6

BlueWizardGirl

The Red Desert: The shifting sands

Dawn comes up over The Red Desert. The sun scorches the sand once more, as it does every day. It never rains on the red desert. Today, the heat is overbearing, as if the sand itself is warm with the stress of the day. It will be historic how the rest of the day plays out. So many gods have incentives, motives, and ultimatums, now a war. And yet, today's mission is not a mission of war. It is a mission of peace and philanthropy.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeshon View Post
    The Lokab Empire

"Did yah have to make such a mess?" "F*ck you! I hadn't had any fer three years." Sekat snapped as he stepped away from the mangled remains of a goblin woman.

Jorik rolled his eyes, Sekat's definition of 'getting some' involved a lot more screaming and blood than he preferred. His sins, involved a more methodical pleasure.

"Whatever, what do we do with the kid?" "Eugh, you go ahead I'm not into that." "You know exactly what I meant."

Jorik walked forward towering over the sobbing child, "Might have someone he can go to?"

"Who can he go to now? Just let him starve." "You go ahead..." Jorik smiled cruelly, imagining his claws tasting flesh again, "I'll catch up."

Before he could do anything he heard a thump and turned in time to see a luminous being throw a spear at him.

Gwyn

The visions the censer showed her from the Lokab empire were... unsettling to say the least. The first thousand families she went to, she was too late, raped, murdered, and worse. Men, women, children, she had only seen such cruelty once before and that was after Alyveran slaughtered the goblins and whipped them into a frenzy.

She was in tears there were too many for her to protect and the censer made her see them. She saw every single innocent and all the possible ways they could've been tortured before they died.

Then she caught a break, she had been too late for the mother, but the child, thank the Creator the child was still alive! One goblin saw her, his claws still slick with blood. Before he could cry out she crushed his skull with one hand and threw her spear at the other, pinning him to the wall. The Spear returned to Gwyn's hand and the goblin slumped to the floor. The child curled into a ball.

Gwyn walked over to the child and put her hand on his head he twitched but did not move, lash out, or anything, "I cannot undo the past... but I can give you a future." She rubbed his head, "For now, sleep and dream of happier times."

The child disappeared only to reappear in the Hidden Isle, inside a temple to Kiolasa.

From that time until order was restored to the land, any who threatened a child, whether goblin, predator, hunger, or anything else. Would be opposed by a goddess.

Spoiler
    Show
    Rollover: 0+5
    Bless: The children of the Lokab empire are now under Gwyn's protection, she won't be able to save them all, but she'll save as many as deifically possible.

Ending AP: 4

By 'hunger' I'm not referring to Isanloff, just saying the children will find food when they're hungry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    You are right Belsheroth, I must help those who have suffered by your hand. And I will start by exposing your crimes to the world. Kiloasa wove a great curse then, one that would display exactly what had transpired since the beginning of the divine party up until Kiloasa's defeat of Belsheroth. It would show the destruction of the Lokab Goblins brought about by the fall of the Archliches, the pleas of Kiloasa for caution and the utter lack of remorse on the part of the Starlight Reaper.
    The Trial of Belsheroth has begun. All of creation will be your judge and I will be the executioner.
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsdelf View Post
    Tresingiis goes to and sees the empire in ruins. He knows order can only come with civilization, which he will bring with those Cretaumfolk. he can't tonight, but he can help the sick, and famished goblins. He blesses the desert with a new plant for the sick and hungry.

Spoiler
    Show

Starting AP: 7 +1 PAP
    Bless -1 AP
    Remaining AP: 6 AP + 1 PAP

I have blessed the desert with the ponja fruit. I will explain what they do.

The desert has been blessed with Ponja fruit, these purple fruit grow despite the desert heat, they have green stems, and grow off of a vine like pumpkins do. They are about the size of pears, but on the inside, they have the consistency of cherries without pits. They are light purple, with green stems wrapped around them.and are a good meal, and sweet refreshment for any weary traveler in the desert. In addition to sustenance, these fruit heal sickness. He makes sure that the fruit runs commonly through all parts of the desert, but especially where the goblins of the Lokab Empire are located.

Spoiler
    Show
    They do not heal all sicknesses, just mundane ones like flu, colds, and mild poisons. Well crafted poisons, Lycanthropy, severe illness such as small pox, cancer, or any plague or magical sickness are unaffected.

His hope is that the goblins will eat it, and stay alive, out of so much pain until the host of Cretaum walk the part of the desert they inhabit. He can't do anything about the chaos or anarchy until they arrive. He seeks out Gwyn, and conveys" I will do much to help these people. You aren't alone in your efforts."

The former Lokab Empire:

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    There was a meteor shower that night, the sky filled with celestial sparks.
    But unknown to the inhabitants below, huddled in their homes behind barricaded doors, this was a blessing in disguise.
    Tiny fragments of crystalline dust fell over the houses and were breathed in by Goblins.
    At once, the minds of the lucky few were filled with knowledge. Knowledge of healing and protection, unrivalled by all save the Church of Belsheroth.

"Your help is most appreciated, I will continue to protect the children until your people arrive. Then I will leave this land to you."
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsdelf View Post
    Tresingiis let's out a sigh of relief at Gwyn's response. " I've got to help them as much as I can before my people are ready to come over here." Tresingiis knows that with starvation, thirst, and sickness, people start to go mad. Social order breaks down when scarcity such as this occurs, and it becomes a free for all with raids and gangs. He hopes he can act quickly, and with enough force so that does not happen. " I've no idea how to keep social order in such a catastrophe. Not with so many goblins. "

Wildings

Among the goblins they walked in secret. Small things were done, simple things, during the time of the Archliches. The Wildlings were masters of disguise, especially those Druids of Form, who could assume the form of any living creature so completely that even the gods themselves had difficulty seeing them for what they were.

They dared not act openly, only Druids of Faculty had the mental fortitude to withstand the Archliches Geas, and even then not very well. So the few Wildlings that could brave the harsh desert and roving bands of geassed guardsmen had been forced into hiding, helping one or two goblins at a time escape to safer lands.

They had heard the call when Kiloasa made Trisengiis. What he knew, they knew. It was time for the Goblin exodus. The Cretaumfolk would come to free the Lokab Goblins, to redeem them in the eyes of the Manyfold Guardians and save them from the Archliches. But they had no time to act. Belsheroth made his move and the Empire fell around them. As soon as the geasses were lifted, the Wildlings revealed themselves. They swept up the goblins in as many great groups as they could. Most by force. But it wasn't enough, no amount of power could have saved all the goblins and this was a task that demanded no less than perfection.

Their actions weren't enough. They weren't good enough.

The Red Desert: Tresingiis

Tresingiis flew over the desert in the heat. The heat gave him strength on his westward journey. He had left the former Lokab Empire to go to his people for his appointment at noon. That night, he had used his power and influence to bring food and health to all he could. The wildlings have rounded them up, and many large groups are ready for exodus from their broken empire. He flew over the sand with gusts of air in his wings, it seemed like following a dusty path, he rolled to his side, and his wing skimmed just above the surface of the sand, it's air-trail causing whirlwinds. He rolled over, and did the same on the other side, he knew he had no time to waste, but that he needed to give the cretaum time to get ready. He cursed Belsheroth over what he did to the goblins, over what he did to the millions of goblins in the lokab empire, though Tresingiis couldn't help but to feel that it would come to this eventually. He thought and meditated while he flew. He thought about why he was created, and what his mission was: to look over the desert, and ensure the safety of it's people. He flew closer and closer to Shreddokk, the city of the chieftains that represent tribes of the desert cretaum. They should have a host ready by now. Maybe undersupplied, inexperienced, and lost, but they would be ready for his arrival.

When he got there, Reddulch greeted him with respect, he was tired, for he had not gotten any sleep that night. None of the chiefs had. Their scouting party never returned, and nobody knew where Drestin was. Wherever he was, he would return, and be greeted with his next mission by Leon. The host was seven thousand cretaum, to millions of goblins, Tresingiis cursed, and hoped it would be enough. He arrived in a moment, and little was spoken. Reddulch doubted Tresigniis, all of his people where tired, and there couldn't possibly be enough. A bead of sweat rolled down his scaly face as he started to speak, but frowned, and awaited some comment by Tresingiis. Tresingiis gave no comment, he was focused, he said nothing, but a few words under his breath. In a moment, a wind picked up, a warm wind from the southeast, and a whirlwind consumed the host, all of them unharmed by the sandstorm. Clouds rushed, dark, rain and thunderbearing clouds. It never rained in the Red Desert.

Spoiler
    Show
    Starting AP:6+1 PAP
    bless: A bizzare rainstorm in the desert that cools but does not disrupt the sand.
    bless: Transportation by a whirlwinding sandstorm of an entire host of cretaum to the other side of the desert.

Remaining AP: 4+1 PAP

They emerged from the whirlwind far from where they started, and unharmed. The wind from southeast brought in a humid, cool storm, which was unexpected from the Lord of the desert whom so valued smoldering heat. Relief should come soon.

Reddulch

The wind picked up when they arrived, it almost seemed surreal, Like watching a star explode in the night sky, not making a single sound unless you look at it, when it's sound pours in through your eyes. The desert sun darkened, and the wind blew, and the sands where soft and cool. And then he froze; A drop of water fell on his cheek, and he knew it was not sweat. Then another. And another. Soon, it was raining hard, and then it let up, drizzling constant.

This was unheard of! When could it rain? Why should it anyway? Rain would erode the desert, make the dunes watered down and flat. We could take the heat. I can't believe this, I still have to lead my people through all of this, even if we where teleported, it is still miserable! Yet duty makes me do all this, and more in Tresingiis' name. And so I must continue.

He called a meeting by raising his feathered spears. " All of you, split into groups of three, and spread out like a fan, we are in the United goblin Emirates, we will march east, just a little further to be in the remains of the Lokab Empire. Division one, go and ask those of the Emirates who will help to send any goblins they can to us to help. Divisions two, three, and four spread out northeast, due east, and Southeast. Division 5 follow me to the capitol."

The United Goblin Emirates

Division one rode to the remaining intact goblin Emirates to ask for help, and union with the Cretaum and Lokab Empire. They where calmed by the storm, their numbers at about 500, for the bulk of the numbers where needed to help with the Lokab Empire. They marched and arrived. They where led by Gridlan, a tall dark red cretaum. They waited at the gates of the city they came across, hoping to be greeted by an emir.

The rest of the host marched the rest of the way to the goblin cities destroyed when the Lokab Empire fell. Tresingiis and Reddulch at the front of that. It was spectacular, the storm seemed to grow with the movements of the troops, and the rain followed in the footsteps of Tresingiis, the water drops that fell and evaporated fizzle and die, but behind them, the advancing storm drops too many for the heat to boil, and it starts to cool and soften the earth and sand. But the dunes never sank. The sand never turns to mud, the water does not pool. It is quite bizarre, the water just sinks through the sand after it's finished cooling it off.

The Destroyed Lokab Empire.

Tresingiis knew that he, as a god, should not be completely responsible for capturing that which hated the gods. He should let mortals help mortals. Besides, no one being can reform an entire society. If he personally claimed the new nation, it would just be the gods overthrowing resistance, it would lead to silence, and forced obedience. He also knew that he had to fix the problem that he was created to fix, and to bring prosperity to a plagued land. Many things burdened him as they approached what remains of the Lokab Empire. For this reason, when they arrived, Tresingiis let Reddulch lead into the capitol, and Tresingiis himself helped with the destroyed land, and other goblins.

The Lokab Capitol

The cities burned, smoke rose above the buildings. Goblins panicked, running amuck in the street. Crimes of all sorts took place, burglary, arson, murder, rape, gangs formed in this broken wasteland. When the division arrived in the city, there where many things happening. They saw groups of wildlings struggling to keep groups of goblins in line. They saw a woman have the blessed fruit Tresingiis made taken from her. They saw lines of goblins running from building to building. A city in ruins.

Reddulch said to his division, " Split up, split up all over. Let the wildlings help you keep order, make sure nobody else is mugged, or killed. We will gather all of the remaining goblins up, and march them out of the city. We will have all of them stand outside the city, and we will speak to them from of things to come. There will be an assembly of all the goblins in the city. We will organize them, feed them, give them water. This rain is putting the fires out already."

With that, they split up.

The Lokab Outskirts

Tresingiis already had reorganized many small groups of the goblins. He was moving from circle to circle, and the thousands of Cretaum where rolling over the sand. It wasn't so bad out here. We already have groups of three Cretaum apiece using their knowledge and power to heal each little enclave in the desert. They had an active team collecting the fruit scattered on the desert, and bringing it in, to be used to heal and to feed. The rain was cooling off the overheating desert, which made the enclaves cool, full of food and water, and a little safer. It was good, though Tresingiis wondered how Reddulch was doing in the capitol, and there was much more of the desert to go.

Spoiler
    Show
    To be continued in the morning. Plus, if anyone wants to roleplay something in any of this, or want a specific thing to happen, feel free to do so. I hope I'm not godmodding. I feel like all of the quotes in the spoiler above should help understand this and the next couple posts. It's also a good thing to have in the beginning of part II.

Spoiler
    Show
    Lords of Creation Character color key:
    Cereim: Fire Brick

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

The Frozen Lands

As the hydra appeared Imil pushed the boy behind him.

"Arranan get out of here!"

Turning to face the beast Imil spun his staff into place. As head after head rose from the ice he gripped the oak branch.

"Well that's new."

With all the strength of one who fights with fate hanging in the balance Imil plunged his staff into the snow. The sound of ice cracking booms like thunder over the landscape. All at once roots as thick as an eagles wingspan erupted around the hydra; wrapping themselves around its necks. The roots continued to split and entangle the beast in an effort to force it back down.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

The Explorer's Guild

Hans takes out a cylindrical device and examines the pearl. He keeps an excellent poker face, "Hmm, this is definitely worth a map, an atlas too, sea charts... why not I'm feeling generous!"

He keeps a poker face, but he can't insult such an exquisite pearl by saying it wasn't worth at least that much.

He pulled out a beautiful ruby (more valuable than pearls on the Hidden Isle, but no here). He tosses it to Willy, "Take this to Big Momma my boy. It ought to take care of her share."

"Bu-"

"I promise they'll be here until you get back, off you go my boy!"

Reluctantly, Willy leaves.

Hans looks at Kuruk all mirth gone from his face, "Now that he is gone we may speak candidly, what are your goals? And what type of ports would you like to prioritize?"
    "We are, first and foremost, explorers. However we're also here to establish trade relations with other ports. So places that are 1. safe 2. wealthy and 3. well scattered. Also, if you have any... special documents that can get us into these ports with minimal inspections, that would be preferred." Kuruk was technically playing fast and loose with the laws of the Hidden Isle, but he didn't become head of the Merchant's League by following the letter of the law.

Work in silence? We do that already. But note that this is not an act of penance for us.
    I will call your attendants now.

Silently, she spoke out to the nine Belsherai that followed her in age.
    Hazael, Israfil, Cunaen, Morwenna, Jesaphina, Zerachiel, Lunadria, Cynthaia, Vanyanil. We are to attend to the will of Lord Kiloasa at all times.
    Nine winged figures, clad in long black hooded cloaks over their enamelled armour appeared behind Anzhela. They bowed, as did Anzhela.
    We are the eldest and most powerful of the Belsherai. The Council of Archangels if you so desire to refer to us as that.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll spend the AP to create their council when I get my Pantheon AP, whenever that is.
    Kiloasa nodded to each Belsherai in turn. There are tasks that must be completed, and while I would normally do them myself, I might as well make use of you. In the air appeared three letters written on vellum scrolls in glowing green ink. The first task is to take this letter to Merolle, a thank you for building the mausoleum on Geasa that houses Aor and the rest of our family. It extends my apologies for my behavior prior to the Slumber of the Gods as well.

The second letter is for Isanloff. I asked Gwyn to speak with him on my behalf, and now I ask him once again to meet with me on neutral ground. Perhaps Morgazar if he is willing.

The last letter is for Yohalles, an invitation to meet with me here in the Mistlands. I was unable to introduce myself to him properly and I wish to remedy that. Three of you will complete these tasks, the rest of you except for Anzhela will direct the other Belsherai restoring the Lokab goblins to follow my instructions. It is most important that the Goblins are provided food and water, or many more will die.
    Kiloasa created a shard of green quartz. This gem contains limited knowledge of Druidism. It will instruct you in how to manipulate the cacti of the desert to make them better at storing water and more nutritious to eat.

Anzhela, you will stay here and attend me.

once all the other Belsherai have left on their tasks

Kiloasa was silent for a long while, eventually he spoke to Anzhela. You recieved the Trial of Belsheroth as well as all the others. Tell me, do you condone your lord's actions. Or do you agree with me that a little more time could have been spent to find a way to resolve the crisis without destroying the Lokab Empire?

I don't doubt you want revenge against me for what I did to Belsheroth, but I stand by that choice. I am asking you to think the thoughts Belsheroth did not. How should things have gone differently?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Belsheroth's Mansion

"He does recover on his own... but if I leave him now, he will awaken weakened. Please let me attend him."
    Brightfire thought for a moment. A longish moment at that.
    You can stay. But if you try and eat him, I will eat you.
    She glared at Gwyn suspiciously.
    What are you called?

The Calasanctium Kingdom-Jennifer

The veiled threat didn't phase her, "of course not sir, the dispatcher must have been intercepted by a holdout group."
    Naturally...
    Now, I am eager to meet with your Captain. He has done a great service to the Kingdom, and I should like to congratulate him personally as soon as possible.

By now, they should be at their destination.

The Council

The knight shook her head, "I have none to bring to this council's attention."
    Very well then. Unless Patriarch Amathol has further news from his meeting with Abadil, then we might as well adjourn.

Kiloasa nodded to each Belsherai in turn. There are tasks that must be completed, and while I would normally do them myself, I might as well make use of you. In the air appeared three letters written on vellum scrolls in glowing green ink. The first task is to take this letter to Merolle, a thank you for building the mausoleum on Geasa that houses Aor and the rest of our family. It extends my apologies for my behavior prior to the Slumber of the Gods as well.

The second letter is for Isanloff. I asked Gwyn to speak with him on my behalf, and now I ask him once again to meet with me on neutral ground. Perhaps Morgazar if he is willing.

The last letter is for Yohalles, an invitation to meet with me here in the Mistlands. I was unable to introduce myself to him properly and I wish to remedy that. Three of you will complete these tasks, the rest of you except for Anzhela will direct the other Belsherai restoring the Lokab goblins to follow my instructions. It is most important that the Goblins are provided food and water, or many more will die.
    Kiloasa created a shard of green quartz. This gem contains limited knowledge of Druidism. It will instruct you in how to manipulate the cacti of the desert to make them better at storing water and more nutritious to eat.

Anzhela, you will stay here and attend me.

once all the other Belsherai have left on their tasks

Kiloasa was silent for a long while, eventually he spoke to Anzhela. You recieved the Trial of Belsheroth as well as all the others. Tell me, do you condone your lord's actions. Or do you agree with me that a little more time could have been spent to find a way to resolve the crisis without destroying the Lokab Empire?

I don't doubt you want revenge against me for what I did to Belsheroth, but I stand by that choice. I am asking you to think the thoughts Belsheroth did not. How should things have gone differently?
    Vanyanil, Cynthaia and Israfil took the letters and departed to deliver them.
    The rest departed to instruct their fellows in the art gifted to them by Kiloasa.
    When all the rest had departed and Kiloasa had spoken to her, Anzhela thought for a moment as to how best to word this diplomatically in a way that wouldn't set off Kiloasa's obviously nasty temper...
    You are correct. I do so want vengeance. I want to cut out your black heart and roast it over the fires of Hell and feed it to the dogs.
    But, now that my Father is dead, by your hand, I find that I must honour what he taught us even more than usual.
    It is much too petty. I am immortal, so will not allow my heart to turn to anger and my mind to hover over which surgical instruments are most appropriate.

She looked off into the distance, clearly deep in thought.
    Suffering. What is it?
    To undergo pain, penalty or punishment? Be faced with deprivation, torment and agony? Untold millions suffered for three thousand years, more so than died due to recent events.
    Was their suffering any less important than those who still lived? Deprived for an eternity, their minds tormented by the seals that pressed in around them?
    The dead are still susceptible to madness, My Lord. Will respite in the Forests be enough to heal them? Can ten thousand years erase the memories of that time?
    None know.

She turned to face him.
    So yes. The suffering of countless millions weighs as more important than the suffering of countable millions.
    His actions were not wrong, but nor were they strictly right.

Spoiler
    Show
    Starting AP: 0 + 2PAP
    Create Organisation: Council of Archangels. A sub organisation of the Belsherai, they are the ten eldest and most powerful of their race. 2AP
    Remaining AP: 0

Note to Hipho, Mystic and Draken: The Belsherai delivering the letters are just going to hand them to you and leave.

A Small City in the Lokab Empire

Kasak was hiding. Actually... Everyone was hiding. But he was hiding the best. He'd often been bullied as a child because he was the smallest. But his claws were sharpest and his cunning also. So now, he naturally had the best hiding spot.
    He owned a shop that sold second hand books. No one ever came looting for books and all his customers were dead, so he decided some quick renovations to his shop were in order.
    The city of Galnkan was pretty old, built when the Empire was young. And most of the buildings were old as well. Even the Archliches had decided that the city was a monument to the tenacity of their people. Architecture was at its best after all when even low status buildings remain intact and in use for millennia.
    As such, Kasak decided he'd put his claws to use, and he tunnelled a room out behind one the bookcases in the back room. No one would touch that bookcase. All it had on it were books printed in Imperial. Boring books written in Imperial. Seriously... What was he thinking when he purchased that comprehensive set of books on the history of Calasanctian Tax Law and Banking?
    Still, they were reasonably attractive. Gilt edges and everything. But most importantly, they were heavy. No one would ever move that bookcase to look behind it. After all, everyone thought it was just solid rock.
    Still... Kasak had the sharpest claws of anyone his age, and he managed to dig out a reasonably sized area, using the rock to barricade the front of the store. Hiding it in plain sight... Gosh those looters were idiots. It's almost as if they expected that rock was easy to come by. Particularly when they ransacked his shop a grand total of seven times.
    Hmm... He seemed to be running low on supplies... At least Galnkan was spared the worst of the violence and it was safe to go out during the day if you weren't carrying anything valuable.
    Thank the Ancient Gods - not that he'd ever be heard saying that out loud -for that Druid and the Goblin with his tamed animals that arrived last week. With their help, some mob justice had hedged out the worst people. But still... The Night was not safe.
    So, unexplained expository thoughts aside, Kasak opened his bookcase door and headed out to pick some fruit from the Druid's orchard. Very kind of him to keep that for everyone.
    On his way, he accidentally inhaled a few grains of sand floating through the air and he coughed.

Spoiler
    Show
    Success for the Wildlings in the small city of Galnkan. But not very much success.
    I hope you don't mind me making a Goblin second hand book merchant, but I assume that some Goblins like to read.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    (::) Current avatar by Smuchmuch (::)

Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

Dragons!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Vanyanil, Cynthaia and Israfil took the letters and departed to deliver them.
    The rest departed to instruct their fellows in the art gifted to them by Kiloasa.
    When all the rest had departed and Kiloasa had spoken to her, Anzhela thought for a moment as to how best to word this diplomatically in a way that wouldn't set off Kiloasa's obviously nasty temper...
    You are correct. I do so want vengeance. I want to cut out your black heart and roast it over the fires of Hell and feed it to the dogs.
    But, now that my Father is dead, by your hand, I find that I must honour what he taught us even more than usual.
    It is much too petty. I am immortal, so will not allow my heart to turn to anger and my mind to hover over which surgical instruments are most appropriate.

She looked off into the distance, clearly deep in thought.
    Suffering. What is it?
    To undergo pain, penalty or punishment? Be faced with deprivation, torment and agony? Untold millions suffered for three thousand years, more so than died due to recent events.
    Was their suffering any less important than those who still lived? Deprived for an eternity, their minds tormented by the seals that pressed in around them?
    The dead are still susceptible to madness, My Lord. Will respite in the Forests be enough to heal them? Can ten thousand years erase the memories of that time?
    None know.

She turned to face him.
    So yes. The suffering of countless millions weighs as more important than the suffering of countable millions.
    His actions were not wrong, but nor were they strictly right.

Spoiler
    Show
    Starting AP: 0 + 2PAP
    Create Organisation: Council of Archangels. A sub organisation of the Belsherai, they are the ten eldest and most powerful of their race. 2AP
    Remaining AP: 0

Note to Hipho, Mystic and Draken: The Belsherai delivering the letters are just going to hand them to you and leave.

So the mortal life has no value, then? Only the immortal afterlife of the soul is worthy of protection? If so, then doing this should not matter. Kiloasa raised his axe and brought it down faster than the blink of an eye mere inches from Anzhela's face. A wandering sheep had passed between them, now it was bisected cleanly in two. If the mortal life is worthless, then why have Hell? Their lives on the mortal plane have no value to you, so why should we punish or reward souls for their behavior in the mortal world? Why even have a mortal world at all? Why not just slaughter every single mortal now, so that they can all enjoy the eternal peace and contentment of your Starlight Forest?

Mortal life is infinitely more valuable than Immortal life because it ends Anzhela. You have never died, and you never truly will. Even if I slaughtered every single Belsherai like the pedantic fools you are it would count for nothing for you would simply return to the Starlight Forest. You have never asked one of the spirits you collect whether they even wanted to leave the mortal world yet, have you?

Now I am asking you to think critically here, something Belsheroth obviously puts much less value on than your ability to spout pointless rhetoric without thought for consequences. A fact I will remedy when he recovers... Yes, Anzhela I know Belsheroth is still alive. If he were dead, I would have had no need to curse him as I did. If the god of death were to die, then death itself would die. Mortals still die, I can sense it, so clearly Belsheroth still lives.

Now think critically Anzhela. Belsheroth is responsible for the deaths of millions of goblins, I am responsible for burying my axe in his liver. He acted to avenge the souls of the dead, his children, and I acted to avenge mine, the Goblins. He slaughtered millions of innocents because one goblin stood against him, I hurt but did not kill Belsheroth in response to his near genocide of the Lokab Goblins. So who is truly the black hearted, vile monster that you so truly hate?

Again, think critically what could Belsheroth have done differently? What could he have done to accomplish his goals without causing untold destruction and suffering? Because I know, and if you can figure it out as well, I will give you some mutton.
    Kiloasa magically levitated the sheep carcass over the fire and let it roast there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Starting AP:0 PAP: 1
    Create "Life"- 1 AP Ghosts
    Ghosts are spirits that wish to linger on the mortal plane after death. Before the fall of the Lokab Empire they were few and far between, but now they are much more common. Thier reasons for wanting to stay vary from ghost to ghost.

This isn't a creation of Kiloasa, just something that needs AP spent on it.
    Final AP: 0 PAP: 0

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

The High-Roads

And then when the road forks.....Go right. Yohalles says to a traveler, pointing down the road. With a nod and a thank you the traveler is on his way and Yohalles is walking the other way. When the letter comes he accepts it and bows. First-Bred.....watch this road.....there should be more travelers on it soon. and with that he turns and takes one step before teleporting to The Mistlands

The Mistlands

Kiloasa, you called for me? Yohalles asks. He looks a bit dirtier and more ragged then the last time Kiloasa saw him.
    Spoiler: Those That Came Before
    Show
    Yohalles, the Wanderer
    Lonel, Gentleman Luck
    Jongo, God of Sea-Life

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Cynthaia arrived by Isanloff along his route, who simply took the letter still folded and froze it solid. Isanloff felt the fool attack his brother, who was still alive and well, and had heard the fool announce his brothers crimes. The vainglorious arrogant fool thought they would believe the truth from his lips?

Young one, take me to your father. He is my brother and I will attend him.

Besides how could he read a letter, it wasn't even in braille.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Geasa

Merolle receives the letter from Kiloasa, reads it in silence and adds it to the files kept by the Guild.

The Frozen Lands

The great hydra is bound by roots, grunting in geasan.

"природа хіпі магія."

Spoiler
    Show
    "Druidic* magic."

*not really.

One of the monster's heads screams, a much different pitch than the first howl, blasting outwards in all directions like the ripples made by a stone cast into still water. In the wake of this scream, grass turns to glass and all plant life and any unfortunate creatures in its wake are also rendered solidly vitreous, its waves impact the mortals as well, and they can surely feel the wave attempting to crunch their flesh and bones like a great weight and heat.

Another head follows this scream with a long whistle, painfully acute, and it shatters the vitrified plants and animals in a shower of shards, all too frail to pierce the monster's adamantine hide.

------

Council Chambers

Amathol speaks up to the council.

"Ladies and gentlemen councilors, Abadil has given me a price for the construction of the geothermal power sources. He has priced each one as the full time praise of two hundred and fifty men and women for ten years."

Spoiler
    Show
    To note, the gnomes count the praise they request in hours of work, effectively. Amathol just listed the total price, which is 7,300,000 hours of 'work' (total). It is noteworthy that the above calculations consider a daily work routine of 8 hours, but disconsiders weekends and holidays (250 (people) x 8 (daily hours) x 365 (days per year) x 10 (years), obviously these specific numbers are not listed in the post itself because we haven't defined the duration of the day and the year in this world!) there is no timetable either, that is the raw price, payiment plans are the next step. And they probably involve hiring more than the aforementioned 250 people so that they don't have to work 365 days a year and still get the job done in less than ten years.

Following D&D rules for the profession skill, it is the same number in gold pieces for a capacitated but untalented (4 ranks in the skill, no ability modifier, no skill focus) worker to gain over the course of the same time period! So 7,300,000 gold per factory.
    Last edited by Draken; 2012-07-06 at 09:26 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

So the mortal life has no value, then? Only the immortal afterlife of the soul is worthy of protection? If so, then doing this should not matter. Kiloasa raised his axe and brought it down faster than the blink of an eye mere inches from Anzhela's face. A wandering sheep had passed between them, now it was bisected cleanly in two. If the mortal life is worthless, then why have Hell? Their lives on the mortal plane have no value to you, so why should we punish or reward souls for their behavior in the mortal world? Why even have a mortal world at all? Why not just slaughter every single mortal now, so that they can all enjoy the eternal peace and contentment of your Starlight Forest?

Mortal life is infinitely more valuable than Immortal life because it ends Anzhela. You have never died, and you never truly will. Even if I slaughtered every single Belsherai like the pedantic fools you are it would count for nothing for you would simply return to the Starlight Forest. You have never asked one of the spirits you collect whether they even wanted to leave the mortal world yet, have you?

Now I am asking you to think critically here, something Belsheroth obviously puts much less value on than your ability to spout pointless rhetoric without thought for consequences. A fact I will remedy when he recovers... Yes, Anzhela I know Belsheroth is still alive. If he were dead, I would have had no need to curse him as I did. If the god of death were to die, then death itself would die. Mortals still die, I can sense it, so clearly Belsheroth still lives.

Now think critically Anzhela. Belsheroth is responsible for the deaths of millions of goblins, I am responsible for burying my axe in his liver. He acted to avenge the souls of the dead, his children, and I acted to avenge mine, the Goblins. He slaughtered millions of innocents because one goblin stood against him, I hurt but did not kill Belsheroth in response to his near genocide of the Lokab Goblins. So who is truly the black hearted, vile monster that you so truly hate?

Again, think critically what could Belsheroth have done differently? What could he have done to accomplish his goals without causing untold destruction and suffering? Because I know, and if you can figure it out as well, I will give you some mutton.
    Kiloasa magically levitated the sheep carcass over the fire and let it roast there.

Spoiler
    Show
    Starting AP:0 PAP: 1
    Create "Life"- 1 AP Ghosts
    Ghosts are spirits that wish to linger on the mortal plane after death. Before the fall of the Lokab Empire they were few and far between, but now they are much more common. Thier reasons for wanting to stay vary from ghost to ghost.

This isn't a creation of Kiloasa, just something that needs AP spent on it.
    Final AP: 0 PAP: 0
    She did not flinch, and suppressed her sudden urge to sigh.
    If you are wondering whether I fear death or can even die properly, then I do not know. I have life essence a plenty, but lack a proper soul. So I expect I can die, but not properly. If you hadn't struck my Father down he could probably explain this a lot better. It is after all... Beyond my understanding.
    But, seeing as your education has been lax, I shall explain to you the reason why we have both life and death.

Anzhela clears her throat and raises her hands. Above them, an impossibly intricate diagram, almost like a clock appeared. Its gears moved slowly and steadily, shapes rotating around the edges.
    This, is a physical representation of the cycle of life and death, the core of everything we understand about death and the mortal soul.
    She tried not to look at it, because the movements of the gears would mesmerise her if she was not careful. As she spoke, a hand rose from the bottom of the clock and moved to point at the image of the Sun which then was eclipsed.
    It's very confusing, and I don't understand what it all represents. But here are the basics.
    Life is infinite. The divine capability to produce it can never be truly depleted, as such, death increases in strength and power throughout the ages.
    But death can not destroy a soul, and the soul lingers after death. This energy can be harnessed and affect the natural world. However, this violates the fundamental principle of entropy. As souls can be created infinitely with or without the expenditure of divine power, the amount of energy in the Universe increases.
    However, the Universe is like clockwork, its supposed to run down, not gain in energy.
    Which I can demonstrate by removing this spring... It keeps the system in line with thermodynamics...

She removed a tiny spring on one of the weights. At once the device began to speed up and eventually tore itself apart.
    That is why death happens. To stop the over-abundance of souls from destroying everything.
    If I had of removed life, then it would have run down too soon and turned cold.
    So we have life and death to keep balance to the cosmos.
    At least... That's what we were taught.
    Which is odd, because it is a cycle, but this represents a balance... I feel that something must be missing.
    Apologies my Lord... You probably know all that already.

She put the now ruined model down.
    But it answers some of your questions.
    As for the others? Who do I truly hate?
    No one. I want you to suffer, but I don't hate you. In time, I will no longer want you to suffer. So I am angry, not hateful.
    And as for my Father's actions... A soul still feels pain after death. There is no respite for them on Ashkharh. While I freely admit Lord Belsheroth's haste in this matter, I understand why he acted so quickly to end the torture and imprisonment of who knows how many tens of millions. At least the dead now no longer suffer.
    And I shall be fine with no mutton my Lord. I require no sustenance.

Spoiler
    Show
    The missing part of the system is reincarnation to better offset the loss of energy due to souls departing.
    Of course, it's much more complex than she understands.

Quote Originally Posted by mystic1110 View Post
    Cynthaia arrived by Isanloff along his route, who simply took the letter still folded and froze it solid. Isanloff felt the fool attack his brother, who was still alive and well, and had heard the fool announce his brothers crimes. The vainglorious arrogant fool thought they would believe the truth from his lips?

Young one, take me to your father. He is my brother and I will attend him.

Besides how could he read a letter, it wasn't even in braille.
    Cynthaia hesitates... They were under Lord Kiloasa's command now, and he said to deliver the messages and get straight to the next task...
    Still... It would not be wise to anger Lord Isanloff and get their new temporary lord in trouble...
    Of course Lord Isanloff, this way.
    She led on, doing her best to avoid disturbing the Gnomes. Official Belsherai policy after all. Leave the Gnomes to their work.

Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Council Chambers

"Ladies and gentlemen councilors, Abadil has given me a price for the construction of the geothermal power sources. He has priced each one as the full time praise of two hundred and fifty men and women for ten years."

Spoiler
    Show
    To note, the gnomes count the praise they request in hours of work, effectively. Amathol just listed the total price, which is 7,300,000 hours of 'work' (total). It is noteworthy that the above calculations consider a daily work routine of 8 hours, but disconsiders weekends and holidays (250 (people) x 8 (daily hours) x 365 (days per year) x 10 (years), obviously these specific numbers are not listed in the post itself because we haven't defined the duration of the day and the year in this world!) there is no timetable either, that is the raw price, payiment plans are the next step. And they probably involve hiring more than the aforementioned 250 people so that they don't have to work 365 days a year and still get the job done in less than ten years.

Following D&D rules for the profession skill, it is the same number in gold pieces for a capacitated but untalented (4 ranks in the skill, no ability modifier, no skill focus) worker to gain over the course of the same time period! So 7,300,000 gold per factory.
    Hmm... The question now Patriarch Amathol is...
    How many will we need? And what is the cost to retrofit current industry to benefit from this new power source?
    On the matter of payment... We shall have to double offerings to Merolle and increase the number of prayers offered to him to start off with. We'll do it slowly so as to be the least disruptive possible.
    The Gnomes are usually reasonable with the time they expect their repayments. After all, we're still paying them off for other things.

Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming of course... That offerings count.
    And the fact that not all their debts have been paid is why they are often reluctant to go ahead with trade.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)

Dragons!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

She did not flinch, and suppressed her sudden urge to sigh.
    If you are wondering whether I fear death or can even die properly, then I do not know. I have life essence a plenty, but lack a proper soul. So I expect I can die, but not properly. If you hadn't struck my Father down he could probably explain this a lot better. It is after all... Beyond my understanding.
    But, seeing as your education has been lax, I shall explain to you the reason why we have both life and death.

Anzhela clears her throat and raises her hands. Above them, an impossibly intricate diagram, almost like a clock appeared. Its gears moved slowly and steadily, shapes rotating around the edges.
    This, is a physical representation of the cycle of life and death, the core of everything we understand about death and the mortal soul.
    She tried not to look at it, because the movements of the gears would mesmerise her if she was not careful. As she spoke, a hand rose from the bottom of the clock and moved to point at the image of the Sun which then was eclipsed.
    It's very confusing, and I don't understand what it all represents. But here are the basics.
    Life is infinite. The divine capability to produce it can never be truly depleted, as such, death increases in strength and power throughout the ages.
    But death can not destroy a soul, and the soul lingers after death. This energy can be harnessed and affect the natural world. However, this violates the fundamental principle of entropy. As souls can be created infinitely with or without the expenditure of divine power, the amount of energy in the Universe increases.
    However, the Universe is like clockwork, its supposed to run down, not gain in energy.
    Which I can demonstrate by removing this spring... It keeps the system in line with thermodynamics...

She removed a tiny spring on one of the weights. At once the device began to speed up and eventually tore itself apart.
    That is why death happens. To stop the over-abundance of souls from destroying everything.
    If I had of removed life, then it would have run down too soon and turned cold.
    So we have life and death to keep balance to the cosmos.
    At least... That's what we were taught.
    Which is odd, because it is a cycle, but this represents a balance... I feel that something must be missing.
    Apologies my Lord... You probably know all that already.

She put the now ruined model down.
    But it answers some of your questions.
    As for the others? Who do I truly hate?
    No one. I want you to suffer, but I don't hate you. In time, I will no longer want you to suffer. So I am angry, not hateful.
    And as for my Father's actions... A soul still feels pain after death. There is no respite for them on Ashkharh. While I freely admit Lord Belsheroth's haste in this matter, I understand why he acted so quickly to end the torture and imprisonment of who knows how many tens of millions. At least the dead now no longer suffer.
    And I shall be fine with no mutton my Lord. I require no sustenance.

Spoiler
    Show
    The missing part of the system is reincarnation to better offset the loss of energy due to souls departing.
    Of course, it's much more complex than she understands.
    You did not answer my questions, Anzhela. Kiloasa said. Mortal life is valuable because it is finite. Once it is lost it can never be reobtained. That is why your system breaks down. The diagram you showed reveals even eternity is finite.

Since you obviously do not know how Belsheroth could have saved the souls of the dead without bringing more death, I suppose I will simply have to tell you. One Archlich was responsible for the seal. The name of that Archlich could have been easily obtained. The death of that Archlich would have released the seal. Then, a curse to prevent such a seal from ever being made again. Do you see how long it took me to come up with such a plan? Far too long for Belsheroth, but still only a day or two longer than it took him to decide to murder millions.

The overabundance of souls is not stopped. They crowd the Starlight Forest and Hell, they suffer there even as they suffered on Creation. And yet...
    Kiloasa brought up his own image. It was of a dinner table, around which a family of goblins sat. Night descended around them, and the spirits of the dead began to appear. They looked similar to the other goblins, probably family members who had passed on. The ghosts sat among their descendants, chatting with them, laughing and sharing as they did in life. Some bore horrible scars and wounds. Most looked sadly at the food they would never taste again, but when the meal was done they departed smiling. For some souls, life on Creation could continue after death. Some things are more powerful than the promise of an eternal afterlife.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

You did not answer my questions, Anzhela. Kiloasa said. Mortal life is valuable because it is finite. Once it is lost it can never be reobtained. That is why your system breaks down. The diagram you showed reveals even eternity is finite.

Since you obviously do not know how Belsheroth could have saved the souls of the dead without bringing more death, I suppose I will simply have to tell you. One Archlich was responsible for the seal. The name of that Archlich could have been easily obtained. The death of that Archlich would have released the seal. Then, a curse to prevent such a seal from ever being made again. Do you see how long it took me to come up with such a plan? Far too long for Belsheroth, but still only a day or two longer than it took him to decide to murder millions.

The overabundance of souls is not stopped. They crowd the Starlight Forest and Hell, they suffer there even as they suffered on Creation. And yet...
    Kiloasa brought up his own image. It was of a dinner table, around which a family of goblins sat. Night descended around them, and the spirits of the dead began to appear. They looked similar to the other goblins, probably family members who had passed on. The ghosts sat among their descendants, chatting with them, laughing and sharing as they did in life. Some bore horrible scars and wounds. Most looked sadly at the food they would never taste again, but when the meal was done they departed smiling. For some souls, life on Creation could continue after death. Some things are more powerful than the promise of an eternal afterlife.
    The restore the millions slain to life. You have the power and Lord Belsheroth cannot stop you. But do not expect their memories to remain intact. One of my brethren looked long ago into the potential of souls being reborn in an attempt to fix the system and make the cycle work, but he determined that a soul cannot be restored to a body of the proper age and would have to be carried to term and be reborn.
    The placing of a fully formed mind into one that has not yet even begun to grow results in irreversible fragmentation of the memory. Our father was sceptical and believed that such a system could be subverted for purposes of evil.

Anzhela watched Kiloasa's illusion. And that was all it was.
    An idealist's dream.
    She said this with a scathing tone.
    You would doom all reality? Souls have weight My Lord. Proven mathematically beyond a doubt by the mortal Henry Ford.
    If we allow souls to remain on Ashkharh for too long, then the problem that results will solve itself as Geasa falls from the heavens and destroys everything living.

She did not think she'd have to explain physics to a God...
    Go ask Merolle. He will tell you that the orbit of the Rings relies directly upon the weight of Ashkharh and the Dark Moon to remain practically constant. If the weight of Ashkharh increases too much, then that system will fail. The Gnomes might save Geasa only for the Dark Moon to crash through the heavens.
    She sighed.
    They will have to weight until their loved ones die and can truly join them. A soul's hardships on the mortal world are too difficult to describe. At least in the Forests they can have rest.
    They do not suffer. The Forests are eternal and infinite. But you would not know that, you have been there only once. And that was millennia ago...

Spoiler
    Show
    Souls are not crammed into the Forests like sardines and Hell is not permanent unless you've done something really bad.
    And by being sent there, to places physically separate from the mortal world, the excess energy from the souls can't affect things too much.
    Thus her objections to people remaining is a result of science. Souls have energy, and because souls can be created from nothing, they increase the total energy of Ashkharh, thus increasing its mass.
    And when its mass increases too much, the stable orbits of the Rings of Geasa and the Dark Moon will destabilise and someone will have to readjust the entire system to compensate. And they'll have to do it over and over again...
    There's also the thing with the model (a metaphor for the Universe as you've already guessed). She showed it to Kiloasa in the hopes that he would fix it so it doesn't wind down, or so that when it did wind down it would rewind itself.
    Divine laziness on Belsheroth's part.

Dragons!

17. - Top - End - #17

Geasa

Merolle receives the letter from Kiloasa, reads it in silence and adds it to the files kept by the Guild.

The Frozen Lands

The great hydra is bound by roots, grunting in geasan.

"природа хіпі магія."

Spoiler
    Show
    "Druidic* magic."

*not really.

One of the monster's heads screams, a much different pitch than the first howl, blasting outwards in all directions like the ripples made by a stone cast into still water. In the wake of this scream, grass turns to glass and all plant life and any unfortunate creatures in its wake are also rendered solidly vitreous, its waves impact the mortals as well, and they can surely feel the wave attempting to crunch their flesh and bones like a great weight and heat.

Another head follows this scream with a long whistle, painfully acute, and it shatters the vitrified plants and animals in a shower of shards, all too frail to pierce the monster's adamantine hide.

------

Council Chambers

Spoiler
    Show

The Frozen Lands

The envoy, due to being in a state of post-death, kept charging forward, unhindered by the roar.....mostly cause he was a good distance away. Giant hydras are terrible at stealth. Anyways, when he finally got in range, he started to feel the wave....but more of a sensation of it being there, and less of any pain. Anyways, the envoy charged -hang on, recover from a stumble- and after a good deal of running he thrust his spectral sword at the beast's foot.

18. - Top - End - #18

The Fertile Valley
    Spoiler
    Show
    Posting mainly to myself for now; this something that I need to do before Kipt becomes a lesser deity, and better done earlier. Just want to establish a character or two for later use is all.

At the time when the divine afterparty terminated, Kipt thought This has been great, but I still haven't seen my children since I awoke. I wonder how they have been doing.
    Kipt looked upon the Fertile Valley, and it saddened him in a nostalgic way. Everything was the same, yet different. They were still his people, and they still loved him, but he didn't know them. He watched Cera for a bit, and saw the Lloyas come and go. That gladdened him at least; that his invitation had gone so well, and that Elthiens were making new friends. He would have to look into the concept of Rangers more, later, but that would have to wait. No, rangers likely wanted nothing to do with him anyways.
    What of Tallier? he suddenly thought. What happened to him who was first to lead his race? He served me so well... What became of him? Kipt picked Cera's mind for history about the subject, and filled in the blanks in his own mind about the ice age.

As it turns out, after their druid training, Tallier began to fall for Lita, leaving Pala slightly envious. They were only happy together for a short while before the ice age struck. They began to differ in opinions on many things, which led to fighting between them. Lita ended up leaving him and the Fertile Valley to become the first ranger; she was followed by many others. During the ice age, Pala did her best to care for the sick and needy. Tallier, in turn, did his best to lead his people, and was able to get them through it. Putting the greater good before themselves, both of them became Archliches. After years of sharing immortality, they began to love each other. Tallier died tragically after falling to his death form a hippogriff while leading an exploration of mountains that would later become Monte Mora. Pala could not bear to live forever after that.
    That was enough history for now. It saddened Kipt more how trying a time the ice age had been, and how he had been sent to stop it, but failed. Yet Kipt was never one to dwell on the negative too long- a new thought was forming in his head. Did... Tallier have any surviving heirs? he thought. Family had always been important to him.
    After inspecting all of the Elthiens living in the Fertile Valley, Kipt decided that one girl must be a descendant of Tallier. only one he thought, more sadness overcoming him. no he told himself I will not allow myself to be saddened any more. Then, he took mortal form and was with her.

Kipt took the form of a muscular Elthien with fire eyes, the same as Tallier's orange, and hers as well. The evening was beginning to fall, and there was a beautiful sun setting as he approached her hut. She was living alone as a simple woodworker, old enough that she had no family left. Yet she still retained a certain beauty about her. She had retired to her hut, the day being over, and was surprised when she came to the door after Kipt knocked. "Hello" she inquired "Do I know you?" "My name is Tikip, and I come from somewhere very far away." Kipt responded, charmingly. It was not a complete lie that he was from somewhere very far away. She looked very contemplative and curious "Yet I feel that I know you somehow. I am Milie."
    She moved inside, and ushered Kipt in with her. "Say, where are you from, stranger Tikip? Are you a Ranger, or citizen of Monte Mora? Are you a wargoer, now returning?" Kipt smiled slightly and said "I am from from farther away than you could know." The two of them are now sitting very close, and Milie extends her neck towards him, whispering "Then why do I feel like I know you so well?" This was just the thing to cheer Kipt up for good from his post-sleep failure blues. Kipt reacts accordingly, and the two kiss. One thing leads to another.

About one year later: Milie is with newborn child and without father. Jewel, so the child is called for her eyes that shine as like fire opals, is a bright youth. She is an Elthien born with glitter wings; a recessive trait that died out during the time skip. Some people would rather shun that child for having a scum father. Others believe Milie's tale to an extent, and some believe -by rearranging the letters in "Tikip" that she is a daughter of Kipt.
    Last edited by AvocadoAvenger; 2012-07-08 at 11:12 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Frozen Lands

As his staff shatters Imil's hands begin to move faster than the human eye can follow. Within moments the shards of glass begin to coalesce into a glittering ball just in front of him. Grasping it between his hands Imil redirects the force, and with an unholy scraping sound the shards are propelled as a solid beam back at the Hydra, striking at the same time the mysterious warrior appears on the battlefield.

Spoiler
    Show
    I fully expect Imil to die in this fight, just so everyone is aware.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

D. Construct

Ombra stood as the game declared the fight over. The Limit break had not killed the creature, but HT wants to move on and isn't feeling very creative right now, sorry the Hippotaur's natural strength had overwhelmed the winged repitilian humanoid.

Ombra crossed his arms. I have work to do, but before I go, I believe I owe you an infusion of power. He held out an arm.

Catching up

-And then you showed up. The Doctor finished.

I noticed that you stuck to the history of the world there. Ombra replied, standing now. But you didn't say anything about the Blur.

The Doctor's eyes narrowed. That's because I'm not sure. I alone can remember what they do, where they're going, when and where i've fought them. And there's only so much I can learn alone... He rubbed his temples. Best guess is that - for some reason - they're trying to manipulate government officials. Psionics can do good work on that... His eyes narrowed. ...You wouldn't know anything about that, would you?

Ombra hesitated.

Ombra!

It seemed like a good idea at the time!

The Doctor sighed and covered his face. ...Whatever. Any suggestions?

Ombra folded his arms. Not much I can suggest, really. I cannot remove their gift of memory-wipe, and I will not punish them for excercising their own free will as a species. He was quiet. ...Best advice i can give is to tell the Shadows to kill the Blur on sight but-

-but we don't know what they look like.

Ombra sighed. Indeed.

The Doctor was quiet. ... Think I can at least get a faster mode of transport than flight? I'm gonna need it to fight the Blur alone...

Ombra nodded. Give me time... I have needed to weave myself a plane for a long time, and I can perhaps incorporate it into your method of travel. Perhaps in a blue box of some sort.

That's stupid.

...Red box?

That's even dumber.

You'll take what I give you and like it. Ombra glared. Speaking of dumb things, what's that on your head?

Oh this? I wear Stetsons now. Stetsons are cool.

...I thought that was the Cowboy's shtick?

Was. Turns out a big hat doesn't stop serial killers from beating you to death with a big enough rock.

Yikes.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2012-07-06 at 07:07 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

21. - Top - End - #21

Free Port

Parvis can find this information with relative ease:

Gregory of house raptor, a native of the Calasanctium kingdom, devotee of Gwyn and Belsheroth, and an all around impeccable gentlmen. He came here in his youth to acquire a rare item. After saving a woman from a mugging in the West End, he decided to enforce some stability when he had the resources. He went back to the Calasanctium kingdom to plead for resources to conquer Free Port, he was denied flatly. He returned to Free Port as a merchant. Building up a few trade companies, he's the first in the city to start using contracts. Beyond that, he keeps a squad of highly skilled mercenaries on staff to serve as body guards and vigilantes here in Free Port.

On a more personal level, he is known to keep a romantic relationship with a human woman named Sasha. There are rumors that he has had an illegitimate child by Sasha, but no one knows if there is truth to the rumors.

He also has friends in the higher echelons of the Order of the Spear
    Parvis read and re-read the reports he had obtained. "This would be difficult, but fun," he muttered, "we'll just have to see how it turns out."

With that, he took out a quill and begin composing letters, unsigned notes of concern to the mercenaries. These notes, delivered personally by various subordinates, detail concern that their master is actually planning to leave then with no pay, departing and leaving them with enemies in this cruel town.

With that out of the way, Parvis leaves the Skull and Dagger, aiming to find, watch, and see who this Sasha is.

Spoiler
    Show
    Basically, trying to get Gregory to be paranoid of his subordinates. Why not just turn the subordinates against him?

And contingencies. No plan's complete without contingencies.

Quote Originally Posted by AvocadoAvenger View Post
    Monte Mora

Not having much better to do, the guardsmen helped load the ship some while two stood watch. "See, I'm telling you that you have nothing to worry about." ((Ironically enough)) Akric said to Brist, the Elthien man.
    The ship is now about to sail, so two Kalpan guards are in the water already. Akric plans to see the ship a ways out with his guard, with two guards on either side, him in front, and another in rear. A runway has now been cleared for the Elthien riders to take flight. Everything seems to be going according to plan...
    Ah, those immortal words. Such is the phase that always causes battle. With a flash the men in position pounce and attack. Hatchets being the weapon of choice for most here, one such subordinate lunged at the Elthien riders, aiming for the hippogriffs. Another pair of attackers suddenly lunged at the men loading the boat (if any are about, else they'll attempt to just cause chaos), while a fourth throws a hatchet at some nearby sailors to provoke them into joining in.

Litan moved from his perch, and checked his mask was in place. Confirming this he made his way to the outskirts of what will inevitably develop into a brawl, watching to see what Akric and Brist were to do next.
    Cassietar!
    Lilli
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #22

The Imposter and the Daemon

The Imposter smiled, he still had time, "I'm listening."

Jennifer and the King

"At once sire," Jennifer chimes in as they enter the council chambers. "Please allow me to fetch the captain so he can receive you properly."

With that she dismounts and begins to ascend the stairs.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you don't mind let's hold off on the meeting between the 'Captain' and the King until after he talks with the Daemon, or Stephen can get pissy. Either way, I'm good.

Free Port-Explorer's Guild

Hans doesn't hesitate and hands over several forged passports (truly quality forgeries), "No need to worry, that's part of the standard package. As far as safety goes, you can't do better than Elthien lands. Monte Mora is the port's name and they as a people are very open to trade."

He coughs, "Among other things."

Sandra grimaces, "That's not something we needed to know."

Free Port-Gregory of House Raptor

At first the notes are ignored by the mercenaries, but they started to doubt, started to wonder.

Sasha, does not live in the city proper. She is a human woman, born and raised in Free Port. Strangely (or perhaps not) preferring a small cottage in the woods far away from the dangers of Free Port. According to all reports she is a capable fencer, but if rumors are to be believed, she is not under Karma's protection.

Geasa

Gwyn bowed, "I will not eat him, in this you have my word."

She approached Belsheroth slowly and if allowed began to pour energy into his body.

The Council

The knight frowned, "Beyond that how many laborers would this technology free up to work elsewhere?"

Training under the First Knight

"Calm yourself."

Sophia shifted uncomfortably, after the first few days of harsh sparring she had been suprised at Gwyn insisting they try a new technique to calm the spirit.

"Clear your mind and measure your breathing."

Sophia began to measure her breathing, she was actually feeling a little light headed, it had been a long time since she was actually relax-

A weight smashed against the back of her head sending her sprawling on her face. "What. The. HELL."

"A knight must always be ready."

Sophia rubbed the back of her head and glared at Gwyn, "Some paragon of honor you are, attacking someone when they aren't ready."

"We're training, anything short of maiming you is honorable."

That did not fill her with confidence.
    --------------

Sophia panted as she fought Gwyn 'unarmed.' As Gwyn explained it she couldn't put down the spear but swore only to use one hand.

From the welts on her skin, she knew that handicap wasn't worth much. She charged again, "Stop charging blindly."

Gwyn blocked her strike and threw a punch into her liver. Sophia coughed staggering. Gwyn kicked her in the back of the leg hitting a nerve and locking the leg up. Sophia was forced to her knees.

"You'll get killed if you don't calm down."

"It's a fight!"

"No, it's a spar." She began to walk away, "Now cool down!"

Sophia sat up and began to meditate again, she had been doing this for at least four monthes, it was hard to tell what Gwyn wanted her to get out of it.

And predictably just as she was relaxed Gwyn hit her in the back of the head.

"godsdammit!"

"As a goddess I find blasphemy somewhat insulting."

"Well what do you want from me?!"

"To achieve peace and alertness at the same time."

"How am I supposed to do that?!"

"I'm sorry you're training with the goddess of knights. Were you under the impression this would be easy?" That was, perhaps, the first time Gwyn ever used sarcasm.
    ---------------

Sophia tried meditating but she couldn't shake the feeling that Gwyn was going to smack her in the back of the head at any moment. Even though she had been gone for something approaching a month. Sophia had occupied herself through training and meditating. Still she couldn't help but wonder, what exactly Gwyn was doing.

"Sophia,"

Sophia dove for her blade and held it in front of her, her jaw dropped when she saw who Gwyn had brought with her. "I've brought you a new sparring partner from the forests of Twilight. Bjor, meet you descendant Sophia."

Bjor bowed, he was much older than when he had witnessed the duel between Ulstwyn and Belsheroth. He had voluntarily refused to have his arm regrown, the price of honor he called it. By the time Bjor died, he was the only one still living that had fought Ulstwyn a distinction he had carried to his death.

"Well met Sophia," he looked up at her and grabbed his sword, "Let us see what you can do."
    -----------------

Sophia sat down in the spring that Gwyn had prepared in the cave, rubbing the welts out of her skin. Bjor was even better than the stories claimed, but it was understandable considering he sparred with Itan and the Belsherai for the last few hundred years.

"You fight well."

Sophia turned and instinctively covered herself, "Sir!"

Bjor raised an eyebrow, "The desires of the flesh don't usually last past death, your virtue is under no threat from me."

Sophia flushed and turned around. She was silent for a time, unable to think of one moment in her life that was more awkward than this.

Finally she spoke, "I don't feel like I'm fighting very well. You and Gwyn seem to be able to beat without any effort."

Bjor shrugged, "Despite what some may claim there is no limit to the skills one can attain, no mountain you cannot surpass. The longer you fight, the longer you train, the better you get. Here on the mortal plan it is merely time that provides an obstacle to older warriors. But that is hardly a problem for beings of pure spirit such as I."

"You think you're as good as Gwyn now?" Sophia chuckled. Bjor unexpectedly nodded.

"Without false pride, I can claim that I'm actually more skilled than she. She'd still win if we fought though."

Sophia raised an eyebrow, thoroughly confused, "That doesn't make much sense."

"Battle rarely does, but soon you will understand why Gwyn would defeat me... and why you will surpass me."
    --------------

Bjor thrust forward, cutting Sophia's cheek, she snarled and brought her sword against him with preternatural speed. Bjor barely dodged and brought the pommel into her stomach. Sophia coughed, Bjor slammed the flat of his blade against the back of Sophia's skull. Sophia hit her knees. Bjor raised his sword and suddenly it became clear.

Sophia's anger dissipated and she could *feel* more than see the raised sword. Sophia rolled out of the way and wrapped her leg around his pulling him to the ground.

Bjor tried to retaliate with his sword, but Sophia caught his wrist and the Rune Blade rested against Bjor's throat.

Bjor smiled "Well done."

Gwyn nodded, "Indeed, I had not expected yu to surpass him so quickly."

Sophia was still panting, but raised an eyebrow, "Don't I only have a month left here?"

"Yes, I was hoping for a miracle."

A thousand questions formed in Sophia's mind, but she simply shook her head and untangled herself from Bjor.
    ---------------------

Sophia sat down to meditate once again, it took her a long time to slip into a trance. She kept flinching at any sound, wondering when Gwyn was going to strike. She did and there was no strike, she found herself slip into a waking dream.

She was at a beach that she had never visited, there was snow all around them, somehow she knew someone else was with her, but she didn't know who.

"Do you see that ocean?"

"Yeah," What was wrong with her voice, it sounded so young.

"No matter what Hallorn tries, some things the gods made cannot be undone by mortals."

"I tought 'e was immortal?" She was speaking the words, but the memories the voice, they were not her own.

"Time may not kill him, but no one lives forever. Father Halasht set the oceans, Merolle gave us metal, and Belsheroth gave us hope. All of them still endure through their works."

"What'd Gwyn give us dad?" This was her father? No, her father had died before she was born, this was someone else's, but who- Sophia gaped as she realized just who she was dreaming about.

"A reason to live."

Suddenly Sophia's hand shot up and she caught the but of Gwyn's spear.

Gwyn smiled, "About time."
    -----------

"And what is most important?"

"Conviction."

Bjor nodded, "She's ready."

"I hope so, she faces a great enemy."

"He's no more powerful than Hallorn."

"That does not fill me with confidence."

"Apologies child, but remember this, you will be stronger than I ever hoped to be. I will be watching over you, Sophia. May your strength guide the Spear into evil's heart!"

Sophia spoke then, "May your soul find rest among the shade."

Bjor disappeared then and Gwyn smiled, "Kneel."

Sophia obeyed and held the Rune Blade out with the tip pressed against her heart. Gwyn gripped the handle.

"I name you my champion."

Gwyn withdrew the blade and offered it to Sophia, "Rise, Sophia, Mistress of still water."

On the Road East

A wizened old woman was seen off in the distance approaching Marren. When she got close enough she called out,

"What do you search for cleric of Belsheroth?!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I covered everything, PM me if I missed something.
    Last edited by Yeshon; 2012-07-08 at 09:23 PM.
    Gwyn, The First Knight
    Karthull, The Lord of Slaughter, The Master of Death

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Council Chambers

Amathol pondered.

"From Abadil's calculations, five plants would provide us enough power for the whole kingdom with considerable leeway for further growth. His calculations already include the needs of the territories recently recovered by the knights."

"As for timetables for the payment, he has a centennial plan to offer. The Guild trusts us to honor our debts and as you know, the prefer a long term, steady income of praise than short, suddenbursts."

--------

Frozen Lands

Spiritual being, the hydra hissed a laugh at the envoy, when the sword came, it struck a wall of energy surrounding the creature, the impact point flaring with a tarnished brass hue before the force became invisible once again.

Imil's glass sphere, in turn, landed squarely against the adamantine hide of the titanic beast's face, shattering fruitlessly against the metallic surface, but still enough to bring the head's attention down onto the man. Said head lowers itself to be on Imil's eye level.

"Я пам'ятаю, що ви друїди можуть зрозуміти будь-яку мову."

Spoiler
    Show
    I recall that you druids can understand any tongue.

The nostrils of the beast release a warm plume, an acrid plume smelling of acrid, ionized storm winds.

"Назви мені хоч одну причину не поглине вас цілком за нахабство, смертний річ."

Spoiler
    Show
    Give me one reason not to swallow you whole for your insolence, mortal thing.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Jennifer and the King

"At once sire," Jennifer chimes in as they enter the council chambers. "Please allow me to fetch the captain so he can receive you properly."

With that she dismounts and begins to ascend the stairs.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you don't mind let's hold off on the meeting between the 'Captain' and the King until after he talks with the Daemon, or Stephen can get pissy. Either way, I'm good.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Stephen will wait. But no longer than an hour before just going in. In the meantime, he'll just be ordering his retinue around and getting them settled in.
    There are a lot of them to coordinate after all.

Geasa

Gwyn bowed, "I will not eat him, in this you have my word."

She approached Belsheroth slowly and if allowed began to pour energy into his body.
    Gwyn... Have I truly done evil? Were my actions not wise and necessary?

Spoiler
    Show
    Seeking wisdom from one of the few beings he believes has wisdom unclouded and kindness unprejudiced, and in this case, unbiased.

On the Road East

A wizened old woman was seen off in the distance approaching Marren. When she got close enough she called out,

"What do you search for cleric of Belsheroth?!"

Spoiler
    Show
    I think I covered everything, PM me if I missed something.
    Nureen whispered to Marren.
    Careful... She's not what she appears to be. She strides with too much strength for one of her supposed age.
    Greetings venerable one! We search for a missing girl, a knight who may be ill!
    They rode forward toward the old woman, and Marren describes Sophia and her appearance.
    Have you seen her? I am worried for her.
    Something in Marren's mind clicked.
    How did you know I was a cleric?
    He is, after all, dressed in plain travelling clothes. Why must the elderly be so perceptive?

Council Chambers

Amathol pondered.

"From Abadil's calculations, five plants would provide us enough power for the whole kingdom with considerable leeway for further growth. His calculations already include the needs of the territories recently recovered by the knights."

"As for timetables for the payment, he has a centennial plan to offer. The Guild trusts us to honor our debts and as you know, the prefer a long term, steady income of praise than short, suddenbursts."
    Five plants? So ten years of worship from two hundred and fifty people for each plant?
    So their centennial plan would be the worship of one hundred and twenty five people for one hundred years?
    Apologies if my mathematics was incorrect. My mind lacks your analytical abilities.
    And the good knight raises an interesting point... How much labour will be freed up by the construction of these plants? We shall have to make arrangements for those who may lose their livelihood.

A merchant on the council raised her hand.
    If I might speak High Ecclesiarch... The problem you put up has only one solution: Increase job work opportunities by the expansion of existing industry and the creation of new industries.
    Which means... We'll need to expand our markets.

Dragons!

25. - Top - End - #25

The Council

"So... do we have any figures on how much we could grow our economy?"

Geasa

Gwyn thought for a moment, Was what you did evil? Not in my opinion no. Kiolasa is doing an admirable job painting the Lokab empire in a positive light. But never before have I stumbled on a system more disgustingly tyrranical or less concerned with individual rights than the Empire under the Archliches. He seems to be confused as to what actually happened with the ghosts, when The Crone was in the empire the only ghosts she saw were those that attempted to attack her.

However, what you did was not prudent, you did act without knowing all the facts. When gods act hastily who can mortals look to? There is us and the Creator above them and the Creator is not here now. They only have us. We must be a constructive and cooperative force, or allow the mortals to despair.

Marren and Nureen

The Crone approaches,

"How do you recognize the rain? The sky? The mountain? I look for the signs boy, the power you carry bears down on you, bending your back against the weight. The way you look at me, as if hoping there is something you can do, some way you can help." She pauses, "The muttered prayers to Belsheroth were also a very good clue."

The Crone looks at Nureen and smiles, "And you should look into stealing some of the Fell Knives' divination magic, there is none better among mortals. For now however allow me to end your search."

The Crone slams her staff into the ground and Marren and Nureen are overcome by a flash of golden light.

In Front of the Cave

Sophia finished gathering rocks in a small memorial to Thomas in front of the cave. She brushed her hands off and stood. She looked to the West, she probably would never see the Kingdom again, not alive anyway. For now, she needed to go to Free Port.

She began to walk.

Suddenly a flash of golden light erupted in front of her. She held her hand over her eyes. She didn't react any further, she knew what that flash portended.

She bowed, Good even-" She looked up and saw Marren and some woman she had never seen before.

The Crone, had not followed.

"Marren? What are you doing here?"

She looked much different than when she had left the capital only a week ago. More battle hardened, more confident in her step. Her sandy blond hair had been cut short like a boy's, something done for practicality after Bjor used her former long hair to bring her down for the fifth time.

All in all, she looks changed.
    Last edited by Yeshon; 2012-07-07 at 09:47 AM.
    Gwyn, The First Knight

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

Council Chambers

Amathol ponders briefly.

"Yes, among these lines."

"The plants will need plenty of specialized workers to man its systems, and more still for maintenance purposes, as well as worshipers to man its secondary power generators in cases when it needs to be temporarily shut down. There will still be less required manpower than mining coal, for sure, but possibly more workers than needed for a coal plant. Nonetheless, there will only be an increase in job opportunities across the kingdom, unless we also halt all coal prospecting. Even then, these groups could simply move on to mine for something else."
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrewing

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Geasa

Gwyn thought for a moment, Was what you did evil? Not in my opinion no. Kiolasa is doing an admirable job painting the Lokab empire in a positive light. But never before have I stumbled on a system more disgustingly tyrranical or less concerned with individual rights than the Empire under the Archliches. He seems to be confused as to what actually happened with the ghosts, when The Crone was in the empire the only ghosts she saw were those that attempted to attack her.

However, what you did was not prudent, you did act without knowing all the facts. When gods act hastily who can mortals look to? There is us and the Creator above them and the Creator is not here now. They only have us. We must be a constructive and cooperative force, or allow the mortals to despair.
    Just as I had expected. I acted with good intent and little prudence. I shall endeavour to not make the same mistake again.
    I shall rest now and allow my body to rejuvenate itself.

Marren and Nureen

The Crone approaches,

"How do you recognize the rain? The sky? The mountain? I look for the signs boy, the power you carry bears down on you, bending your back against the weight. The way you look at me, as if hoping there is something you can do, some way you can help." She pauses, "The muttered prayers to Belsheroth were also a very good clue."

The Crone looks at Nureen and smiles, "And you should look into stealing some of the Fell Knives' divination magic, there is none better among mortals. For now however allow me to end your search."

The Crone slams her staff into the ground and Marren and Nureen are overcome by a flash of golden light.

Before the Cave

Sophia finished gathering rocks in a small memorial to Thomas in front of the cave. She brushed her hands off and stood. She looked to the West, she probably would never see the Kingdom again, not alive anyway. For now, she needed to go to Free Port.

She began to walk.

Suddenly a flash of golden light erupted in front of her. She held her hand over her eyes. She didn't react any further, she knew what that flash portended.

She bowed, Good even-" She looked up and saw Marren and some woman she had never seen before.

The Crone, had not followed.

"Marren? What are you doing here?"

She looked much different than when she had left the capital only a week ago. More battle hardened, more confident in her step. Her sandy blond hair had been cut short like a boy's, something done for practicality after Bjor used her former long hair to bring her down for the fifth time.

All in all, she looks changed.
    Marren was momentarily dazed, but Nureen not so much.
    You must be Sir Sophia. We were worried about you.
    She nudged Marren in the ribs.
    Oh yes, of course. I've never gotten used to even the slightest teleportation. I wish people would give we warning.
    Sophia, you left the infirmary. I was concerned that your illness was affecting your judgement.
    Nureen has money, we'll purchase you a horse and ride back to Snow Haven.
    Oh yes... This is "Lady" Nureen. She's a very old friend of mine.

Pleasure to meet you good Knight.

The Council

"So... do we have any figures on how much we could grow our economy?"
    Council Chambers

Amathol ponders briefly.

"Yes, among these lines."

"The plants will need plenty of specialized workers to man its systems, and more still for maintenance purposes, as well as worshipers to man its secondary power generators in cases when it needs to be temporarily shut down. There will still be less required manpower than mining coal, for sure, but possibly more workers than needed for a coal plant. Nonetheless, there will only be an increase in job opportunities across the kingdom, unless we also halt all coal prospecting. Even then, these groups could simply move on to mine for something else."
    So economic growth and prosperity for all, as well as reduced pollution?
    We'll have to continue mining coal for steel manufacturing, but not in such large quantities.
    Of course... You no doubt have already prepared copies for all of us to look over so we can properly prepare to integrate the new power source.
    I will have to write a letter to the King to inform him of our decision when we've made it.

Dragons!

28. - Top - End - #28

Monte Mora
    Quote Originally Posted by Exachix View Post
    Ah, those immortal words. Such is the phase that always causes battle. With a flash the men in position pounce and attack. Hatchets being the weapon of choice for most here, one such subordinate lunged at the Elthien riders, aiming for the hippogriffs. Another pair of attackers suddenly lunged at the men loading the boat (if any are about, else they'll attempt to just cause chaos), while a fourth throws a hatchet at some nearby sailors to provoke them into joining in.

Litan moved from his perch, and checked his mask was in place. Confirming this he made his way to the outskirts of what will inevitably develop into a brawl, watching to see what Akric and Brist were to do next.
    The Hippogriff rears up to clobber its attacker with hooves, but to no avail. The curved blade of the hatchet strikes deep into the beast's skull, and it collapses on both Rider and assailant. The Rider scrambles to get free, or at least draw his spear, but it is no use.
    Unlike the hippogriff, a pair of boat loaders are an easy target; completely unaware. On both men the throat, being the easiest target, is slashed open, and the bodies are allowed to fall into the water a foot below.

After another hatchet from the blue strikes an innocent sailor in the chest, a section of the dock begins to fall into disarray. Granted that the other sailors were on the left side, and Brist's boat is on the right, it will still make a pretty big impact on this encounter. People are marching in a stampede, gunning for the nearest weapon they can find. A ruffian with a small but powerful club, and some kind of whip using beast master are two of the prominent figures in the chaos. The rest of the horde looks mainly defensive, with daggers, bottles, sticks, and occasionally a shortsword drawn. They were, however, doing a good job of trampling the assassin and Elthien down under the hippogriff. The sound of a bottle smashing can be heard, and glass flies onto the struggling pair of combatants; if either survive this they will be quite scraped up.

Like a well oiled machine, the guard force responds. Akric didn't know what to think at first, but he could hardly believe that they were assassins, and that Brist had been right. Assassins or no, they were murderers who needed to be dealt with, and now was no time for thinking. Being the main druid on the force- and also the reason the on making it so that the Kalpans can breathe out of the water- Akric pulls fast-moving underwater currents, targeting the pair of Kalpans in the water. Both came jutting out of the water, and flying at the pair of assassins that had just killed the men loading the ship. The pair of guards had large wooden shields strapped to one claw, and weapons in the other, which they drew while flying for a brief moment. One uses a longsword, and the other a mace in their main hand, while they attempt a flying shield bash with the off hand to knock the assassins down. A difficult maneuver preformed expertly; the guard had clearly practiced just this sort of thing. Akric then locates Brist who is trying to escape the chaos that has engulfed half the dock and make it to his boat. He draws his two handed greatsword, takes a defensive stance, and takes a step forward, protective of Brist, but still trying to cover the entrance to the ship.

The other Kalpan fights bare-clawed, with a buckler strapped to one. He makes a move to try to get to the axe-thrower who started the chaos, but is stopped by the ruffian wielding a club. He blocks a good swing of the club with his buckler, then moves in with the other claw for a pinch into the club, shattering the wood. His combat style proves quite coordinated and ambidextrous.
    The remaining mounted Elthien takes flight immediately, and circles back around. He has a spear drawn in one hand, poised to strike.
    Last edited by AvocadoAvenger; 2012-07-08 at 11:09 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Profaniti, Captain Eric

Profaniti nodded and continued "You see, there is much suffering in this world, and it is Lord Isanloff's will that someone end this suffering. As I said, we have chosen you, and your fellow knights, for this task. It will be difficult, for not all will so easily fall under your sway, but we bring gifts to help you on this journey. From the Goblin lands to the East, the Empire now broken and it's people in chaos, to the horrid tyrannies of the North, and all the people between them, someone needs to bring them under one rule, and the Calsanctium are fittest to rule. Once all the peoples of the world hail one ruler, and the knights can police all people as they see fit to increase order and happiness, the world will be a much better place for all, and you would be the vanguard of this miraculous crusade. Of course, there will be a contract to sign, details to work out, but I'd like to know that you're... on board first, lest I become too hasty."
    Caesar Asmodeus by Andraste

30. - Top - End - #30

Geasa

Very well uncle, rest well.

She stood and looked at Bright Fire, "I've done all I can, I will help you keep Vigil if you would allow it."

She leaned agains the wall, "I'm sorry, what is your name?"

Sophia, Marren, and Nureen

Sophia bowed slightly to Nureen, "Nice to meet you too lady Nureen."

But she shook her head at Marren wanting to take her back, "I can't go back, not yet. For now, I'm heading for Free Port to stop a great tragedy."

Spoiler
    Show
    Just so people know, Sophia was who inherited Bjor's infusion and hero status.

So she's at a total of +10RCR for infused order, regular kingdom, Infused Heroine, and Artifact.

The Council

The Knight shrugged, "Or we could increase steel production. But, I see no reason to object."

The Imposter and the Daemon

'Captain Eric' smiled, this would work, "Yes, you may think of me as one hundred percent behind this plan. So, you mentioned details?"
    Last edited by Yeshon; 2012-07-07 at 10:29 AM.
    Gwyn, The First Knight