New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Hilarious Ways to mess with your players.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    The (low-level) PCs come upon a large battlefield. The wolves and ravens have come to feast on the dead; there appear to be no survivors at all. Yes, OK, they can loot, but the loot is just used weapons and armor.

As they turn to leave, they see, hidden away from the battlefield, a small child, scared and crying, who says, "Have you seen my daddy?"

He has no clothes except a wool blanket, which gives no clues whatsoever.

The child has no name for his father except "Daddy", and can provide no useful information. He is just a difficult problem for them as long as he's with them.

Presumably, they will find some kind of foster-parents.

Several adventures later, when it is impossible to re-find him, they will hear about the kingdom that has plunged into anarchy because the heir to the throne was lost in a great battle.
    If You continue that line of thought, make it to that the child they found wasn't actually the son of the king, and that the REAL heir apparent will get veeeeeery angry should they try to put the child on the throne, just to screw with them even more.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

PirateGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    If You continue that line of thought, make it to that the child they found wasn't actually the son of the king, and that the REAL heir apparent will get veeeeeery angry should they try to put the child on the throne, just to screw with them even more.
    Or heck, the child is the actual heir, but now the heir presumptives (in the throne grab) are pissed off and try to assassinate the child.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    The bard was a ghost, and he was so grateful for freeing him that he stuck around to finish the epic before passing on.
    That was the most logical solution the PCs came up with. Another idea that came up later was that the bard was a god of inspiration/musical arts and inspired the PCs to write that epic themselves. They just didn't know it.
    Either way.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

I didn't do anything of this although I might will do it in the future. So far ich just messed with some snowholes (mini pit traps).

But in the past we often played with only 3 people. Meaning 2 PCs and the DM.

The good part about this is..the DM in case of the following mishaps would drop the book of vile darkness if slain.

Issue 1:
    get the paladin to lay all his weapons in a drawer (in this case it was a long cast away sun goddess talking to the paladin of pelor) then the mummy attacks you.
    Throw a illusion of a garbling and brabbling monstrosity at the party, if they fight, let them for 2 or 3 rounds...then they see and hear the mothers and fathers, of the kids they all just slaughtered, calling for help.

Issue 2:
    Mirror, your image get killed by someone that you can't see in that mirror. The first 2 days you see your image lying dead on the ground.
    Fresh apples or something similar looking fresh are rotting superb fast after the first bite. Letting their second bite be puke worthy. This taste last for the next week.
    The next time that player bites into an apple or similar: the gnash some teeth that were in there... human teeth.

Issue 3:
    A small elven ivory pipe is bound to appear every day for the rest of your pc life in your backpack.
    Your Mirrorimage kills itself.
    Pictures in house change places/switch places/move etc.
    PC's come over a mountainpass and see a tavern ahead. They loose LoS of it and when they reach it....BAM! Old ruin of a burnt down tavern... the same tavern that they saw... if they search it it seems this tavern burnt down years ago.

Issue 4:
    One PC wakes up (or the one on watch or all, either case it's terryfiing) to the cries of a baby. If they look up they see that the moon is filling with red (like pouring a red drink into a ball) the more it is filled the more those cries mature going from baby, child, teen, woman, old woman. The additional thing is the more the pc listens the more he is able to realize that these cries are in pain. Just moments before the moon is filled...everything is over. Back to normal. White full moon, except for that creeping silence.
    Next morning they see a few dead birds and other critters.

Issue 5:
    Your Players have set up some guards for this night...haven't they? If not poor lads. Let them wake up at random locations in reach(but close to each other), the female players feel "weird" and have some human bitemarks, the male players wake up feeling relieved, stuffed and seem to have similar bitemarks.
    If you want to take it to the next level:
    Spoiler
    Show
    all females pc's are pregnant
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman

5. - Top - End - #65
    Titan in the Playground

Lets see, the most evil thing I've done... well two or three times I've made the whole party freeze for a week (pbp) in terror that any movement could be their death... they weren't anywhere special, I just left enough foreboding around (fluff is always fun ), and planted the thought that enemies can hide, and told them that villains, not being fools, use tactics. Yup, I don't even know how I'd choose one instance to site

lets see what I can sum up quick though... oh there's a fun one. In a freeform game I made every NPC around this one player die off slowly, and each time they' reach out for help from a new NPC until they were with a daredevil mage NPC who teleported around at random and loved dangerous situations. Finally the player became so paranoid that when they met up with the other players they were eternally suspicious, and at the first sign of trouble he would suddenly stop and squint at them backing away and saying "You're with the crazy old man, aren't you!" even tho[ugh nobody ever knew what he was talking about. admittedly though most of that was just the character becoming paranoid and not the player.
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Bugbear in the Playground

One room of a dungeon is featureless and white, containing only an ordinary moose, which appears to be chewing on walnuts.
    Spoiler: Campaign Journals
    Show

Axinia: My campaign setting.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by drack View Post
    lets see what I can sum up quick though... oh there's a fun one. In a freeform game I made every NPC around this one player die off slowly, and each time they' reach out for help from a new NPC until they were with a daredevil mage NPC who teleported around at random and loved dangerous situations. Finally the player became so paranoid that when they met up with the other players they were eternally suspicious, and at the first sign of trouble he would suddenly stop and squint at them backing away and saying "You're with the crazy old man, aren't you!" even tho[ugh nobody ever knew what he was talking about. admittedly though most of that was just the character becoming paranoid and not the player.
    I knew exactly who he was talking about.... However nether of the other two are posting any more to the looks of things.
    Spoiler: Quotes!
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Sun Hunter's Recruitment
    Quote Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
    Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedhin View Post
    In other words, be nice to the murderhobos so they don't murder you?
    Quote Originally Posted by JanusJones View Post
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Congrats, you made me laugh hard enough to draw my family's attention.

Life is Hectic.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

yup I had intended to re-recruit, but if it's dead it's dead ay? eh maybe I'll re-recruit anyways... what do you think as the final surviving player of that game?
    That mystical swirling of multicolored leaves as they dance in the air, that fresh fall smell, the perfect weather that makes you feel so very alive. You can almost forget that you're watching dead tissue accumulate as winter claims the world and floods it with the calming scent of death.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

I had a super powered lvl 25 gestalt group that I allowed just about anything in.

I nearly killed one of them by sheer damage from four assassin vines advanced to CR 24. (they were all immune to grapple by that point, so it was just pure slam damage)

I nearly killed the whole party by having them go to the pocket dimension of Boccob, which was wracked by magic storms that dealt a small amount of random element damage every turn, and stacked a debuff on them that made the elemental damage increase for every time they had been hit by the damage before. Since it was random, they didn't realize the danger of the elemental damage until it started massively overcoming their resistance spells. They fled pretty soon after they took serious damage, but didn't get the McGuffin they came for.

Finally (and this is the best one) I nearly killed the lot of them with a crushing wall trap. They teleported to a dungeon that had an effect they knew of that prevented teleportation and similar effects. They entered a hallway and found a pressure plate. The plate was a reverse trap that disabled the trap they fell into (so anyone who should have been there would just have walked on the plate). They disable the plate, continue on, and trigger a spell that detects living beings by entering the corridor. An epic anti-magic field effect went up, 10ft thick sections of wall fell into place on either end of the corridor, and the walls started coming closed.

One of them started pounding on the walls with non-magic enhanced strength, actually chipping away bits, but only enough to save maybe one of them. They managed to save themselves by shoving some blades and rubble under the wall to slow it, and that bought them the time to break the mechanism somehow.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kaun View Post
    I used the egg timer trap room on my players once (ps, this isn't mine but i don't recall where it came from.)

Basically they enter a 15mx3mx3m featureless smooth stone hallway and once they are all in the hallway doors slam down closing them in from both sides.

At exactly halfway down the hallway a panel will open up and a large ornate egg timer will slide out of the wall suspended by a thick copper looking rod of metal attached at its middle, just below the egg timer protruding from the wall is a shinny red button.

Once the egg timer is all the way out of the wall it will perform one half revolution so all the sand is in the top half slowly trickling down into the bottom.

To anyone who is skilled enough to see it the egg timer will give of an intense magical aura, it will seem impervious to any damage the PC's try to inflict upon it and it will all so prevent any magical damage to the hallway and stop any magical travel spells/scrying or communication spells which attempt to target anything outside the hallway or dimension blah blah (basically it traps them inside a magical box.)
    The walls and door are made out of smoothly polished stone which is barely scratched by any mundane forms of digging etc the PC's may attempt.

Pressing the button causes the egg timer to perform a half rotation after which the sand continues to flow from the upper half of the egg timer into the lower half.

Once all the sand is in the lower half of the egg timer the doors at either end of the hallway will open up and the egg timer and the button will disappear back into the now seamless wall.

It helps if you have an actual egg timer to use as a prop for this one.

When i used this it bought me about 45mins of DM joy barely being able to choke down my laughter (which is not bad considering the egg timer prop i had was set for about 3 mins). After the PC's escaped the room they called me many bad words and then went outside for a smoke.

They still however laugh about it now, a few years on.
    Tried this with an hourglass with my players. Of course, I forgot these were MY players who insist on doing things to get someone killed every third session. It is turned over twice until someone says, "Hey, guys, I wonder what will happen if it runs out?" "Oy, yeah, me, too! Let's wait." Five minutes and little tension later they are in the next room. "Huh, strange." "Yeah. Ohhh, movement! I shoot it!"
    Last edited by SowZ; 2012-07-11 at 07:58 PM.
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

11. - Top - End - #71
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by SowZ View Post
    Tried this with an hourglass with my players. Of course, I forgot these were MY players who insist on doing things to get someone killed every third session. It is turned over twice until someone says, "Hey, guys, I wonder what will happen if it runs out?" "Oy, yeah, me, too! Let's wait." Five minutes and little tension later they are in the next room. "Huh, strange." "Yeah. Ohhh, movement! I shoot it!"
    This is what happened to me too. After the second time of pressing the button with a party made up of a (4E) Fighter, Paladin, Monk, Bard, and Warlord they said "We're just gonna let the timer go out. We can't get out or stop it in any way..." They were noticeably relieved when the timer ran out (I think they were expecting to be 'forced' into some kind of severe magical trap)..

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

My personal favorite instance of messing with my players was when I created a series of puzzles for them as part of gaining entrance to a wizarding guild.
    The final puzzle took the form of a massive iron door with several apparantly automated bars holding it shut, next to which were roughly a dozen switches. Each time one of the switches was moved, some of the bars would slide in or out of position. The catch: the entire thing was only made to appear as though the bars held the door shut. In reality, the door could be opened at any time simply by pulling on it.

The looks on their faces after spending ten minutes trying random switch combinations was simply priceless.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

13. - Top - End - #73

Quote Originally Posted by drack View Post
    yup I had intended to re-recruit, but if it's dead it's dead ay? eh maybe I'll re-recruit anyways... what do you think as the final surviving player of that game?
    I enjoyed it and it would be fun to play.
    Think I can squeeze into one last game :P.
    Show

Saying no to a Sun's Hunter is as close as it gets to an invitation to have your place destroyed by them)\
    The professional, well-funded, well-backed, card-carrying, licensed murderhobos, yes.

Life is Hectic.

14. - Top - End - #74

I have one for you.

It's mid heroic tier. The party has been fighting what could only be described as a political war between their tiny fishing town, Midnight Shore, and a young black dragon under the name Segura. The party has been running about cleaning up after this dragon as clues of her cunning plot to assemble three evil sources into one army, to destroy the town of Midnight shore as the first step to world domination (Muahaha...). It's down to the final countdown now, the party knows that somewhere Segura has cobbled together her own forces of Raiders (mutants infused with magical radiation, it's a thing about my campaign...), the unending undead hordes of The Green and it's many Mothers, and the Silvershore pirate forces lead by Yenroar Dragonsbane. The players realize that all out warfare is not an option, and that their only hope is to go quest in the Crown of the Ancients for a mystical artifact known as the Spear of the Ancients, for use as a bargaining chip.

They fight their way through the crown and into a dungeon composed of four crumbling towers guarded by stone guardian golems, in each tower finding a strange golden device and touching them. And what do you know, the players are actually folded along dimentional lines, and the resulting encounter is played thinking not in third dimensional combat (which is hard enough as is), but in fourth dimensional combat, where each player is technically fighting four encounters seimultaniously, but is only physically capable of being in one encounter at a time.

Talk about a session to remember.
    Last edited by Cealocanth; 2012-07-11 at 11:00 PM.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

15. - Top - End - #75
    Orc in the Playground

Dafuq? Still pretty amazing and original. Insane though.
    Spoiler
    Show

No I did not make my own banner, it was created by a very talented person who I've lost contact with.

I just started playing D&D, and love the game

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.
    STR:14
    DEX: 8
    CON: 10
    INT:13
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 16

16. - Top - End - #76

SwashbucklerGuy

One thing I've been planing on using, from Book of Challenges.

The corridor spirals inward toward a central room. Throughout the corridor are numerous sprung traps (pendulum, saw blades, lightning, pitfalls, etc). At the end, they find a single treasure chest with a corpse lying next to it. The chest has a simple, unsprung poison needle trap. After opening it, they find jewels and gold… and if they remove more than a pound of it (or add more than a pound to it), a pressure pad under it get triggered. This resets all the traps in the corridor, and they have to get out in one piece.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    I have one for you.

It's mid heroic tier. The party has been fighting what could only be described as a political war between their tiny fishing town, Midnight Shore, and a young black dragon under the name Segura. The party has been running about cleaning up after this dragon as clues of her cunning plot to assemble three evil sources into one army, to destroy the town of Midnight shore as the first step to world domination (Muahaha...). It's down to the final countdown now, the party knows that somewhere Segura has cobbled together her own forces of Raiders (mutants infused with magical radiation, it's a thing about my campaign...), the unending undead hordes of The Green and it's many Mothers, and the Silvershore pirate forces lead by Yenroar Dragonsbane. The players realize that all out warfare is not an option, and that their only hope is to go quest in the Crown of the Ancients for a mystical artifact known as the Spear of the Ancients, for use as a bargaining chip.

They fight their way through the crown and into a dungeon composed of four crumbling towers guarded by stone guardian golems, in each tower finding a strange golden device and touching them. And what do you know, the players are actually folded along dimentional lines, and the resulting encounter is played thinking not in third dimensional combat (which is hard enough as is), but in fourth dimensional combat, where each player is technically fighting four encounters seimultaniously, but is only physically capable of being in one encounter at a time.

Talk about a session to remember.
    ...you have GOT to tell me how that works.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

...you have GOT to tell me how that works.
    IIUC, there's four separate fights going on, but you have to keep teleporting back and forth between them. It's not really 4-dimensional gameplay.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by INDYSTAR188 View Post
    This is what happened to me too. After the second time of pressing the button with a party made up of a (4E) Fighter, Paladin, Monk, Bard, and Warlord they said "We're just gonna let the timer go out. We can't get out or stop it in any way..." They were noticeably relieved when the timer ran out (I think they were expecting to be 'forced' into some kind of severe magical trap)..
    This is why you have six levers instead of the button. There are quite a few combinations and PCs will try all or most of them. Check my sig for some evil things...

Of those not there I did the following:

- I made two PCs blind after they chose to serve the BBEG. Their curse was that they would see the world as it is (and it was horrifying) and they regained their sight 1ft per day. The only problem was that it was true seeing with them seeing a person's future as well. They saw people around them walking bloodied, with severed limbs, etc.

- Those two had side effects: one of them vomited fingers after every meal for the rest of the campaign, the other always pulled out a doll from any backpack/sack/container always the same doll. Sometimes there was more than one, but it was always the same eyeless doll.

- In their world eye symbols began appearing everywhere. At first they didn't notice them. Later they did and they were VERY sorry because of it.

- The PCs led squads of five. They were responsible for them...

- I killed NPCs due to their squad leader's mistakes, even the tiniest ones. One NPC soldier in a squad led by a PC was eaten by what she made using shape stone.

I have so many more, but I'm lazy. Here are two for the end:

- One of the PCs destroyed one of the eyes by casting shatter. His eye exploded and the eye drawn on the ceiling started to bleed real blood.

- The finger vomiting PC found a room full of corpses with their fingers cut off...

Do I need to say that my players hate my guts?
    __________________________________________________ ______
    EDIT:

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    One thing I've been planing on using, from Book of Challenges.

The corridor spirals inward toward a central room. Throughout the corridor are numerous sprung traps (pendulum, saw blades, lightning, pitfalls, etc). At the end, they find a single treasure chest with a corpse lying next to it. The chest has a simple, unsprung poison needle trap. After opening it, they find jewels and gold… and if they remove more than a pound of it (or add more than a pound to it), a pressure pad under it get triggered. This resets all the traps in the corridor, and they have to get out in one piece.
    Ran this. It was fun, but the traps were too easy for my party, so I added some fear based traps for the lulz.

That book has some nice encounters. Also Grimtooth's traps...
    Last edited by Kaww; 2012-07-12 at 05:58 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80

IIUC, there's four separate fights going on, but you have to keep teleporting back and forth between them. It's not really 4-dimensional gameplay.
    There's not only the four separate fights, but each fight is given a location in space/time that is relative to the other fights, as if the each encounter lines the inside of a hollowed out box. Each fight contains elements of third dimensional gameplay, such as height or depth below a certain point, but the only way to travel between these fights is to move ana or kata to their relative location inside this hyper-hollow box. I'd say that's about as close to fourth dimensional gameplay I can get without some serious overhaul of the combat rules.
    Currently RPG group playing: Endworld (D&D 5e. A Homebrewed post-apocalyptic supplement.)

My campaign settings: Azura; 10,000 CE | The Frozen Seas | Bloodstones (Paleolithic Horror) | AEGIS - The School for Superhero Children | Iaphela (5e, Elder Scrolls)

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cealocanth View Post
    There's not only the four separate fights, but each fight is given a location in space/time that is relative to the other fights, as if the each encounter lines the inside of a hollowed out box. Each fight contains elements of third dimensional gameplay, such as height or depth below a certain point, but the only way to travel between these fights is to move ana or kata to their relative location inside this hyper-hollow box. I'd say that's about as close to fourth dimensional gameplay I can get without some serious overhaul of the combat rules.
    Hmm, I'd say if you give them different set time-frames (giving a 4D distance from each other) and tell players that they can only be in each round once then it could be interesting.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Orc in the Playground

Doofwad(half dragon villan/mook) was laying seige to a fortified town. Outside there was 8 half spheres of darkness(deeper darkness) about 150 feet off the front gate. The spell was timed so every day one of them would expire and people would get to see what was underneath.

When the first one expired; they saw the missing children of the town crucified, but very much alive and surrounded by about 88 skeletons/zombies(all of the combined forces available packed as tightly as possible) just standing there. Of course the kid starts wailing, which draws the party's attention to the situation. After making sure they were seen, one of the four clerics who set this up renewed the deeper darkness spell.

The party assumed they had to deal with 8 clumps of 88 zombies and skeletons. After talking it over the party gave serious consideration to just leaving the children to die. The monsters.
    Last edited by Sudain; 2012-07-13 at 04:55 PM.
    Remember that guy that gave up? Neither does no one else.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

That's sick...And amazing.
    Spoiler
    Show

No I did not make my own banner, it was created by a very talented person who I've lost contact with.

I just started playing D&D, and love the game

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.
    STR:14
    DEX: 8
    CON: 10
    INT:13
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 16

24. - Top - End - #84

Well, the party was traveling across a former battlefield. Said battle was raged by

1. A elite human squad of about 50 people, all decked out in magical armor that was geared to have a fire theme (Flaming swords, helmets with flames on it, ect.)

2. A single necromancer, who was channeling a massive spell to effictivly create a huge blast of negitive energy that would kill everything there.

3. A native orc tribe (500+) who had no idea what was going on between the humans and the necromancer, but joined in the battle anyway.

4. A 200+ group of dwarves who was about to attack the orcs, and followed them to the site where the humans where trying to break into the necromancers castle.

To make a long story short, the necromancer accedently unleashed the negitive energy early, killing both himself and everything that was gathered around the area he was located. The next night, everything revived as undead and started fighting eachother. The next day, they where re-dead, but the negitive energy healed there wounds.

This happened for the next eighty years, and dead adventurers who came looking for loot where added to the unholy pile that revived each day and looked for treasure that was'nt there. The human group's flaming equiptment caused supernaturaly black fire's that burned eternaly, and the equiptment itself became unholy and inbued with necromantic power (Ect: It caused Vile damage.) The dwarve's and the orc's bodies surround the castle, while the human's lay within the castle proper, eternaly dealing the the necromancer's traps, while the necromancer proper is trapped under a large statue of himself, which happens to be spiked.

Now, think of the PC's reaction to coming to the place around dusk, and have already used up there healing supplies to counteract the ambient effecting of the place. They try to seek shelter from the hoards outside, and meet some Skelies who think that there servents of the necromancer.

They did survive, actualy. One even got a flaming sword. But they still hate me for the fact that the inferno in the center of the castle melted there nonmagical armor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychris1 View Post
    Pokonic look what you have done! You fool, you`ve doomed us all!
    Oh Pokonic, never change. And never become my D.M.
    To those that are wondering; it's a unicorn leather knife hilt.
    Spoiler: Avatars
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Banned

Update! Apparently players did not learn from the last story that there are a lot of superpowered people (seriously it is NOT uncommon to be above level 10 in my setting) running around in my setting.

Play-by-post game, players are in a magical academy. This visitor "Cania" shows up, and the wizard proceeds to blow 3 DC 15 checks. Everyone is in awe of her, and the wizard basically says he doesn't see what is so special about her.

Then the woman, Cania decides to offer him a chance to test himself against her. Keep in mind this wizard is level 3.

So they set up a duel, and the wizard pelts her with every spell his has, and she's still standing (we were using the rules from PHB2 for non-lethal wizard duels). Then she points at him and says three words...

"Maximized Empowered disintegrate"

It was non-lethal, but my god he wasn't getting up anytime soon having taken 360 points of damage.

For those of you who weren't paying attention to my last story, the deities run around the material plane all the time.

Cania is the founder of the hathrans, creator of circle magic, and the goddess of magic. She was coming to the school to check out possible candidates to replace her 100 years or so from now.

Needless to say, I think I need to start warning people about pissing off NPCs in my setting, cause NPCs average level 7-8, all the way up to 30+.

26. - Top - End - #86

So the players are dealing with dopplegangers and possessed people. One week half the group can't make it to the game, luckly they've told me ahead of time for once so I say, "no its not a problem, the game goes on as usual."

The party go to sleep. Those of them with present players wake up to find that those of them without present players are gone.

Then the absentees show up posessed and attack the rest of the party. A fairly epic battle continues with multiple copies of the possessed characters showing up. Any absent PC who's killed turns out to be a doppleganger, rather than posessed. In the end the party burn down the building and escape on a boat, leaving the dopplegangers and their posessed friends behind.

End of session, I swear everyone to secrecy, they are not to tell the others about what happened in the intervening week. Because next week, they will be playing their own character's dopplegangers.

Cut to next week. I tell the absentees that its the morning after the night before, they wake up in a burning building, their boat is gone, their party scattered. The dopplegangers now being played by players undermine every attempt to build a raft and leave. The players start to get confused, but still don't twig that anything's "wrong".

Then half way through the session;
    "Right I think its about time we cut to the rest of the party, you've been drifting downstream for most of the morning and the column of smoke from the burning inn is lost to sight, What are you doing?"
    As the three players who've been playing their dopplegangers thus far start conversing about what happened and how terrible it is that they had to leave their friends behind the absentees start going "Wait, What?" culminating in some very amusing expressions as realisation dawns.
    Last edited by EccentricCircle; 2012-07-13 at 06:35 PM.
    Time is but a pattern in the currents of causality,
    an ever changing present that determines our reality,
    the past we see as history, the future seed with prophecy,
    and all the time we think on time our time is passing constantly.
    Starlight and Steam RPG

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Kaww View Post
    - The finger vomiting PC found a room full of corpses with their fingers cut off...
    Marry me?

This is quite awesome. Stealing that so much.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xerinous View Post
    I find my best "mess with my players" moments come when I least expect them. Little details wind up tripping up my players and they wind up spending a lot of time freaking out over nothing.

I think my best was the "Big Rock In A Clearing" incident. The party was walking through a forest and it was getting dark, so I told them they had reached a clearing. They asked me if there was anything in the clearing.

I hadn't given this much thought, so I replied "uh...Sure, there's a big rock in the middle of the clearing."

We must have spent half an hour on them trying to figure out what was up this rock. I had to eventually tell them flat out that there was nothing special about this rock before I could get them to give up on it.

It was great, they were rolling perception, using detect magic, one player even broke off a piece to look at the inner part of the rock. And it was nothing but a chunk of granite. What's more, it should have been clear from the way I told them about it that it was nothing but an afterthought.
    To be quite honest, we did make the best pun out of that situation.

29. - Top - End - #89

Now that is known as paranoia... Good job with your players.
    Show

Life is Hectic.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

I have to say I found the look on their faces hilarious. I managed to spook my players with a.... simple cabin.

Or better said I introduced them to my form of Taint. They were going from Rashemen to Thay in order to stop the spreading of a Wendigo and killing it before it grows to strong. Their first encounter were 2 Yetis, which they pretty much nailed. Then on Day two of their travel...they botched some survival rolls to get a resting place that is good against the freezing cold.
    Well they are worn out, fatigued and come to this cabin. The Frost Elf Ranger is a bit suspicious as there could be hostile entities (thayans) nearby. The going to be Rageprophet and the witch go in and botch their perception checks to notice the interior. The Ranger saw what seemed to be Pictures of people. They seemed to all look into their direction... and my GF (the ranger) was pretty freaked out at that time...till they tried to put the pictures down. I told them they were built into the wall of this cabin. Now everyone was a bit spooked, the Rage Prophet tried to further take the pictures down, the ranger goes out and the witch tries to put something in front of those pictures. Outside the ranger sees that in fact the "pictures" are windows and tries to spook the witch out from the outside... with no real success since the ghostly picture staring at the witch is far more imminent than the ranger. After a bit of hassle they destroy one window only to see that the "picture" now only shows parts of the eyes... every shard. They ventured on for 2 hours and then they laid themselves to rest...
    On day 3 they came to a scene of 2 Decapus (is the plural of this Decapi?) for the records they are bobbleheaded monstrosities with 10 Tentacles... the look on the witchs face was amazing...she mentioned something about Tentacles earlier that evening.

But the good thing is: The Rage Prophet is going to DM again next week so I have time to prepare more shocking things... I'm actually planning on using some stuff with reflections... let's see how they freak out with that.
    Have a nice Day,
    Krazzman