New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Bugbear in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default Re: Hilarious Ways to mess with your players.

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    It's worse than that, untrained knowledge checks can't reveal any information above DC 10.
    Right, forgot about that. However, one would think that farmers would have at least SOME ranks in knowledge (nature), assuming they had the spare skill points. Of course, other tradespeople would have no idea who or what any visitors are.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

2. - Top - End - #152

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Right, forgot about that. However, one would think that farmers would have at least SOME ranks in knowledge (nature), assuming they had the spare skill points. Of course, other tradespeople would have no idea who or what any visitors are.
    Knowledge nature wouldn't help with identifying most PC races, but would help with identifying animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, and vermin.
    Last edited by The Random NPC; 2012-08-11 at 09:36 PM.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

3. - Top - End - #153

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Random NPC View Post
    Knowledge nature wouldn't help with identifying most PC races, but would help with identifying animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, and vermin.
    … Yes, of course, I meant Knowledge (local). Sorry, I'm away from my books at the moment…
    Last edited by Ksheep; 2012-08-11 at 11:01 PM.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Titan in the Playground

I've been planing out a village that "plays by the rules". And by that, I don't mean they're lawful, I mean they use RAW rulings for everything.

For instance, the average commoner will have no idea what race any adventurer of higher than level 10 is (knowledge check being 10 + HD of creature to be identified).
    Said commoners will also have a 50/50 chance of understanding what is said right in front of them in a quite room, with it being much more difficult if there is distractions or they are more than 10 feet away from the speaker.
    They will also have no idea what the sun or moon is, they can't see the mountains down the road, and would be lucky to even see the forest surrounding the town due to untrained spot checks.
    The healer will oftentimes drown patients if they start bleeding too much.
    Any ranchers starting out can't handle their own animals a quarter of the time, and they will rarely be able to teach their draft animals to do any work at all.
    Commoners will not know general goings on in their own town half the time, and will rarely know anything specific about events.
    Some of the things I've read in this thread have been funny, while others have been just plain mean.

This however sounds supremely irritating. I don't think I'd get through an in-game day without razing the place to the ground.

......... seriously, not two stones standing atop one another by the time I left the smoldering ruins.
    I am not seaweed. That's a B.

Praise I've received
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ThiagoMartell View Post
    Kelb, recently it looks like you're the Avatar of Reason in these forums, man.
    Quote Originally Posted by LTwerewolf View Post
    [...] bringing Kelb in on your side in a rules fight is like bringing Mike Tyson in on your side to fight a toddler. You can, but it's such massive overkill.
    A quick outline on building a homebrew campaign

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

I've been planing out a village that "plays by the rules". And by that, I don't mean they're lawful, I mean they use RAW rulings for everything.

For instance, the average commoner will have no idea what race any adventurer of higher than level 10 is (knowledge check being 10 + HD of creature to be identified).
    Said commoners will also have a 50/50 chance of understanding what is said right in front of them in a quite room, with it being much more difficult if there is distractions or they are more than 10 feet away from the speaker.
    They will also have no idea what the sun or moon is, they can't see the mountains down the road, and would be lucky to even see the forest surrounding the town due to untrained spot checks.
    The healer will oftentimes drown patients if they start bleeding too much.
    Any ranchers starting out can't handle their own animals a quarter of the time, and they will rarely be able to teach their draft animals to do any work at all.
    Commoners will not know general goings on in their own town half the time, and will rarely know anything specific about events.
    Everyone will make about a gold piece a week from Profession checks. Also, cats will be feared?

Bonus points if you can come up with a name that will be horrible in hindsight once they shake the dust (ashes?) of the town from their feet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in · "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" · Use of gray may indicate nitpicking · Green is sincerity

6. - Top - End - #156

Quote Originally Posted by tuggyne View Post
    Everyone will make about a gold piece a week from Profession checks. Also, cats will be feared?

Bonus points if you can come up with a name that will be horrible in hindsight once they shake the dust (ashes?) of the town from their feet.
    Closer to a gold a day, but no one will have any ranks in anything but profession. Easiest way to make gold.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

I've found that having a BBEG applaud the PCs when they kill a minion is always a good way to unnerve them. Especially if you're playing a Pokemon Tabletop Adventures game where combat is almost never lethal.

Pushing a PC to the point of mental breakdown by encouraging him to kill you is quite enjoyable...
    Zio Avatar by acelegna

Spoiler: Currently Running
    Show
    None ATM

Spoiler: Current Characters
    Show
    None ATM