New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default The Chosen Jerk [OOC]

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    System: Freeform, with some dice rolling to help randomize stuff.
    Player Count: Not more than four.
    Style of Play: Adventure! Action! Good god do you need to get credit, but you ain't gonna!
    Allowed Content: Imagination!
    Character Creation: A forum post, a google doc, anything I can easily access.

• Backstory: Skirt length.
    • Experience: You should be competent, but not perfect.
    • Wealth: Whatever makes sense in the backstory.
    • Alignment: Heroic.

Other Notes: At least one person should be a sibling to Jack, and probably not more than one either. The minimum is for sure, the maximum is less certain.

The Coventry family is one of many well-off families in Indos. They're not particularly notable, in the pecking order. Rich, but too rich; connected, but only so much; powerful, but not excessively so.

And then... The prophecy. Indos has had a certain destiny waiting for a long while, and it was revealed by the diviners that the firstborn son of the Coventry family would be the chosen one-and that man is Jack. Jack Coventry-chosen hero of Indos.

You know Jack. You know that he's been told, since he was born, that he was special. That he was better. That was destined. And he took it to heart.
    He's a goddamn jerk. He's full of himself, a pompous, arrogant man who prefers to laze about than do work, and people accept it because "prophecy".

Now, with all that in mind, he's going to be heading out soon. Which, normally, would be a good thing-less time around him, the better. Only, there's something dangerous, lurking beyond the borders... And you know for a fact Jack can't handle it. Something's gonna have to be done-but everyone else thinks Jack will handle it. Your home is your home-and you intend to keep it safe.
    Please repost all PC details.

IC Thread
    Last edited by JNAProductions; 2023-06-14 at 12:01 PM.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Chosen Jerk [OOC]

Spoiler: Tessendra
    Show

What you all lack is a storyteller.

After all, this is supposed to be a prophesied hero. Someone has to go along and record the deeds.

And who better than Tessendra Alvion? After all she was the favored apprentice of Dalmon, the court Bard.

She knows the stories. She knows the songs. She plays a guitar, and a flute, and a piano (when one is available). She can tumble, and juggle, and even breathe fire. She can also perform feats of sleight of hand without magic. And, by pure happenstance, those particular skills also make her excellent with knives. Not that she demonstrates. Much. After all, everyone rnjoys all the flashier skills of legerdemain.

And the stories. And the songs. And especially when those stories and songs are done with some of the other feats.

{Most definitely inspired by Thom Merillin}
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2023-06-13 at 11:52 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Isembard Trelawney, butler to the Coventry family. Isembard, or Ice to his friends, was a relatively recent addition to the household, arriving far too late to reverse the general damage done during Jack’s upbringing. He’s seen his fair share of incompetent people being shoved into positions of prominence, however, coming from a military background as he does. He was formerly a quartermaster to the Old Sparrowdale Regiment, then retired to serve as a butler to an actually competent colonel when they were honourably discharged during the dissolving of their regiment after being devastated in a rearguard action. The other scattered survivors of the regiment, and the many widows and orphans, are the closest thing to a family that Isembard has, and he has kept up a regular correspondence with many, some of whom he and the colonel supported financially. After his very good friend the colonel died defending a nearby village from a monster attack, Ice moved on to the Coventry household, whose previous butler had been driven to drink.

Skills: Broad range of generally practical skills, particularly good at logistics and organisation, appraisal of people and goods, haggling. Many old contacts around from his military days. Competent and ruthless but a little rusty with weapons. Capable of very minor magics that made his life a lot easier (roughly along the lines described by the 3.5 level 0 spell Prestidigitation). Has some money put aside, much if it tied up in investments in businesses of other Old Sparrowdalers.

Gear: He’s planned ahead for this day, and has prepared a wagonload of old military surplus equipment, plus a team of horses. He carries a flashy cavalry sabre he inherited from the colonel and has also equipped himself with other ex-military gear in anticipation of the quest (spear, shield, dagger crossbow, gambeson, chainmail and helm). The wagon comes with plenty of trail rations, water storage, basic medical supplies, basic tools, clothing, tents, bedroll and other assorted gear, plus backpacks and saddlebags for going where wheeled vehicles cannot.
    Last edited by paddyfool; 2023-06-14 at 03:01 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Firbolg in the Playground

Tres is the third daughter (and, overall, fourth child of the Coventries), whence her name comes (she's not amused and prefers to go by Dove). Tiny, pear-shaped and fully blue-yellow colourblind, Tres/Dove has an uncanny talent in (or, as the case might be, uncanny tendency to and great aptitude for) enganging with two general spheres of activity: climbing things and breaking things other than her own bones (examples ranging from fragile objects dropped entirely by accident to complex and sturdy mechanisms essentially sabotaged beyond repair in a rather skillful and very deliberate manner). She used to have a third fondly cherished pastime activity as well: since she hates her family name almost as much as her given name (which, though it is generally assumed to be a by-effect of the name's best known proud owner being none other than Jack, actually results from her not liking how it sounds all that much), she kept randomly proposing to people with interesting surnames for years at end – until her parents politely asked her to be so nice as to stop. Using her free time so found, she currently studies with the sages best versed in engineering, hoping to become an architect. Though her parents, well-meaning as they are, readily finance these studies, everyone other than Dove, said parents included, think this is a really bad idea. Given the aforementioned nature of the usual interactions between her and the wonders of technology, everyone else is probably right.

As for her relationship with her famed sibling, Dove doesn't particularly mind being overshadowed (she's hardly a morose loner, but nor is she good public person material – something she understands far better than Jack would appear to) and while she thinks he's an idiot, she's, in fact, quite fond of him. Granted, that likely has more to do with her finding the annoyed sounds Jack makes when she jumps on his back from ambush irresistably funny, but still.

Oh, and a few contacts we'll likely never meet:
    –Mandor Hermadar, Head of the Committee for Managing Public Greeneries and Places of Rest; brother-in-law (more precisely, the husband of the eldest Coventry girl, Carolin);
    –Chief Ensign Galba Hornbill; close friend and the former sweetheart of Dove's younger brother, Second Lieutenant Clement "Clem" Coventry (talk about awkward);
    –Shirakh Yesenin (totally not a prophet); a fellow student at the Academy of Worldly Arts, specializing in history; his mid-to-long term prognoses, though based on perfectly sound logic, are invariably wrong, a fact he's aware of and uses to predict the future;
    –Merill Lime-Spada; heiress to the owners of the second largest orchard in the Indos countryside; Dove loves the apricot wine they produce;
    –Oder Regius, (the YOUNGEST EVER) Member of the Committee to Administer Walls and Defensive Structures; politely asked Tres to stop scaling the city walls once.

5. - Top - End - #5

IC Thread is live!

Show
    Show

Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Neat!

Also, now that I'm here anyway, have an image of Tres making her best "are you for real" face:
    Spoiler: Tres "Dove" Coventry
    Show

(Yes, those are edgy spiked brass knuckles. Yes, she knows that's a very bad idea as a weapon, but she thinks it makes a passable climbing tool.)
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2023-06-14 at 01:19 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I don’t have any pictures to share for Isembard, but think “medieval Alfred Pennyworth with a spear “ and you won’t be far wrong.

8. - Top - End - #8

Heh. For some reason the first image that popped into my mind reading that was the 3.0 Monster Manual's Aasimar (you know the one: the tall, skinny gentlemanly gentleman in full armour and with an impressive moustache).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

wink Re: The Chosen Jerk [OOC]

Heh - this one? https://www.gallerynucleus.com/detail/19046/

Sure, maybe say “his brother with more practical armour”

10. - Top - End - #10

Yes! (And man, how could I forget about those pauldrons?)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

JNA, what were your thoughts on the official entourage question, or would you like us to invent something? Either way, Ice would have looked to get himself the role of official logistical support, and would have been in a position to learn and maybe even influence what the other plans were.

12. - Top - End - #12

I suppose some exposition on what our folks are supposed to know in general could come in handy.

13. - Top - End - #13

Lemme know when y'all are ready to move on to the edge of Indos and meeting with Jack.

Show
    Show

Show

14. - Top - End - #14

Will do! Currently waiting to see if paddyfool's guy has anyone to add.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Everyone ok?

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    Everyone ok?
    I'm good.

Are y'all waiting on me to say something IC? I thought I was waiting on one of you.

Show
    Show

Show

17. - Top - End - #17

I thought we're waiting on Lentrax as well.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry. Kept getting pulled away and then trying to remember what I was thinking.

Don't mind me.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

No worries, sorry to nag

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

How much is known of the Prophecy?

Do we know where he needs to go or what he needs to do when he gets there?

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

21. - Top - End - #21

What's known of the prophecy to y'all:

All-The firstborn son of the Coventry family will be a legendary hero, slaying a great darkness and bringing an era of prosperity to the world.
    Tres-Not much beyond that. She would've been clued in, but her obstinance prevented her from participating in a lot of the meetings with the seers.
    Ice-Having spent more time with Jack, you know that the seers believe the "great darkness" foretold in the prophecy will appear near Indos, when Jack is gone, but he will return and be triumphant. Part of the reason to get him away from Indos is to see the prophecy fulfilled, part of it is to get him experience.
    Tess-There are parallels in the stories you know. Usually, great victory is preceded by great tragedy, so, you know. Be careful.

Show
    Show

Show

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Good info, thank you

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

What are public attitudes to magic like in this world? How would you like me to fluff the described “3.5 prestidigitation” minor magical abilities of gently warming / cooling / cleaning things etc? (I was thinking that the army might have tried to identify soldiers with magical talent, and Ice might have found very minor abilities through that process and training).

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by paddyfool View Post
    What are public attitudes to magic like in this world? How would you like me to fluff the described “3.5 prestidigitation” minor magical abilities of gently warming / cooling / cleaning things etc? (I was thinking that the army might have tried to identify soldiers with magical talent, and Ice might have found very minor abilities through that process and training).
    Magic in Indos proper is viewed without much issue, but outside the city it's not quite so trusted. You won't get torches and pitchforks, but you will get the side eye.

Show
    Show

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Song based on this version of Color of Trust from the Wheel of Time.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

26. - Top - End - #26

I'm a little out of it at the moment-if none of y'all have anything else to say for the moment ICly, I'll update tomorrow. But given that the threads won't be in my subscriptions box, feel free to poke me in case it slips my mind.

Show
    Show

Show

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by JNAProductions View Post
    I'm a little out of it at the moment-if none of y'all have anything else to say for the moment ICly, I'll update tomorrow. But given that the threads won't be in my subscriptions box, feel free to poke me in case it slips my mind.
    Please don't forget Tres's question to Diana!

Also,

AN EARLY WARNING:

I'll be away for the first three days of July, and might be quite sparse the following week, especially around the 6th and 7th.
    I apologize well in advance for any inconvenience or slowdown this might cause.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Please don't forget Tres's question to Diana!

Also,

AN EARLY WARNING:

I'll be away for the first three days of July, and might be quite sparse the following week, especially around the 6th and 7th.
    I apologize well in advance for any inconvenience or slowdown this might cause.

Thanks for the heads up. Much appreciated. :)

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29

Speaking of which, I'm BACK and will stay that way for a while now! Everything alright on the other end?

30. - Top - End - #30

I'm doing okay, myself.

Show
    Show

Show