New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Thorn In The Hand OOC

EDIT: Ok, internet gremlins are attacking me and I didn't even notice it .
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2012-07-08 at 11:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

@Malak'ai: That's exactly what I was thinking.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ogre in the Playground

@Machuchang: What are you using as your inspiration for your Knight? King Arthur style? RL Medieval England style? GRRM A Song of Ice and Fire style?
    Hmmm... I wonder how a Jamie Lannister or Loras Tyrell style Knight would work in D&D.

EDIT: Also what is the correct prefex for a female Knight? Male's are "Sir", but what about Female's?
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2012-07-08 at 11:44 PM.

4. - Top - End - #34

@Malak'ai: I thinking of a grittier sort of character, so A Song of Ice and Fire style, but I'm a little unsure of where to go from there.

As for the female version of 'Sir,' I think its 'Lady' or 'Dame.' In my own campaign, I've used 'Ser,' again, straight up jacked from GRRM as a unisex term for knights. But honestly, I have no idea.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, pulling a Rule 0 type thing here, in this game female Knights will hense forth being know as "Dame". This title will strictly be reserved for them so no nobles/highborn ladies can't use it, unless they are a Knight of course .

I actually like the idea of a ASoIaF style Knight for this, as long as your not taking Gregor Clegain as your inspiration, never did like The Mountain.
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2012-07-09 at 04:42 AM.

6. - Top - End - #36

I can promise you that I will not be a giant, raging sociopath. More the opposite, if anything.

Knights still get low Fort, right?
    Last edited by Machuchang; 2012-07-09 at 12:56 AM.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Ogre in the Playground

Unfortunately, yes they do. Have sent you a PM with a couple of things I have changed about the Knight class.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Firbolg in the Playground

Darkwood buckler still gives ACF, you need mithral to negate it.

Malack'ai, you know I'm working from limited sources right now with my computer being effectively dead. Am I correct that Hexblades don't get ACF from shields? I can put Verossa in for a Darkwood buckler, give her a -1 to hit but she can probably afford it.

Enemies.

Olga Foehn-Dastaunce(Aristocrat/Rogue)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Olga is the young (two years younger than Verossa) wife of Verossa's father, Emilio Dastaunce. Verossa and Olga have never met. Olga's hostility is largely based on misunderstanding. Bastards and females are eligible for inheritance on Otorin as long as no other options remain. Emilio is ailing after his life of dissipation, the family elders (who have always shown some liking for Verossa anyway) are strong but very grey, Olga's own aristocratic creditials are very dodgy (she is actually the daughter of a local crimelord, the marriage was part of a deal to legitimise the Foehn family at the price of forgiving Emilio's debts) and the idea that there is a martially-capable, charismatic heir option with a reputation for the uncanny (people have spotted Verossa isn't entirely mundane but have no idea how) out there makes her fear greatly for herself and for her infant son. Not knowing Verossa's personality and lack of ambition in that direction, it sounds like a recipe for usurping, murdering, bastard soup.

If Verossa's name keeps popping up in stories from the continent, Olga may very well start hiring assassins first and asking questions afterwards. Note that "Carmine" is a generic bastard surname on Otorin.

Valdmar Speyerslein (Fighter/Bard)
    Spoiler
    Show
    A general in the army of High Carrutyer, Valdmar is basically a good man. Who gets drunk with the troops to forget the horrors he goes through every day. Who then cheats at dice, badly and only semi-consciously. Who doesn't like getting called out on it by a woman, and failing the check against intimidation.

This is not a deadly rivalry. Verossa respects Valdmar as a commander. Valdmar is impressed by Verossa as a soldier and an officer. But they avoid being in the same place and Valdmar's position and antipathy is a good reason why Verossa avoided signing up with High Carrutyer again.

Dietmar Fruitknife (Barbarian/Ranger)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The young leader of the Stoned Crows, a barbarian tribe in the employ of the Covenant. Dietmar's youngest brother was cut down by Verossa at Scarletwaters, and Dietmar swore vengence. Or something. Something about Verossa (who is a conspicuous individual on the battlefield or off) makes Dietmar feel very confused. He's not sure if he wants to kill her or marry her and have lots of little Hexbarbs in between paint-stripping marital arguments, but he knows he wants something. He's a simple man not used to emotional complexity.

Verossa, of course, is only vaguely aware he exists, and only as a minor enemy commander at that. It would surprise her a lot to find out that there's anything personal happening.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Am I correct that Hexblades don't get ACF from shields?

No, they ignore the ASF from the light armour they wear, but still suffer ASF from any shields they carry.
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2012-07-09 at 07:07 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40

Hmmm...Well at the moment she has NO SPELLS. And it's only 5% ACF for a buckler. We'll take it until she can upgrade to mithral.

Also, I just noticed rereading Hold-the-line on Dndtools.eu that the AoO for enemies entering threatened squares doesn't replace the standard one for them leaving. So am I correct in assuming that with a reach weapon she could get 2 AoOs on anyone charging her?

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll have to read up on Hold the Line, never personally used it so I don't know what it's actually supposed to do.

12. - Top - End - #42

Requires Combat Reflexes and BAB +2. You get AoOs when charging people enter your threatened squares as opposed to just leaving them. Complete Warrior. Same book as Hexblade, which makes things nice and compact.

13. - Top - End - #43

Rollin' for HP:

(1d12)[10]
    (1d12)[12]

Edit: Awwww yeah.
    Last edited by Machuchang; 2012-07-09 at 01:49 AM.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ogre in the Playground

@Marlowe: The way I read it, I see no problems with allowing Hold the Line and Combat Reflexes stack.

@Machuchang: Very nice HP rolls .

15. - Top - End - #45
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

They are better than my HP rolls, a three, a three and another three, or the eqivilent of.
    Last edited by D_Man_7733; 2012-07-09 at 02:12 AM.
    Timezone: GMT +10.0

Pokemon Tabletop Adventures/United: THE HUB

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

@D_Man: Looking at your sheet, looks like you rolled a 2 and a 1 for your hp as max first lvl + 6 for 3 levels of Con equals 12 out of your 15.
    So seeing as you rolled for all your levels, re-roll the d6 for levels 2 & 3.
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2012-07-09 at 02:15 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

ElfWarriorGuy

@Malak'ai WELL THAT'S EVEN WORSE! I think I enjoyed my obliviousness and forgetting the max HP at first level. I hope this is just getting the bad rolls out of the way.

Okay, I'm fine with re-rolling here goes nothing:
    (Sperate this time, it seems to work)
    [roll]1d6[/roll] + [roll]1d6[/roll] + 12
    Last edited by D_Man_7733; 2012-07-09 at 02:54 AM.

18. - Top - End - #48

ElfWarriorGuy

Here it goes again:
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[1]
    +12

WHAT ARE THE ODDS!!! SERIOUSLY!!!
    This is either the dice-roller trolling me, or getting the bad rolls out of the way because it knows I'll need them.
    Last edited by D_Man_7733; 2012-07-09 at 02:56 AM.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by D_Man_7733 View Post
    Here it goes again:
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[1]
    +12

WHAT ARE THE ODDS!!! SERIOUSLY!!!
    This is either the dice-roller trolling me, or getting the bad rolls out of the way because it knows I'll need them.
    ....... I.... I don't know what to say....

(1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[1]

EDIT: There you go, still works out to be the quivilant of rolling two 3's, but still slightly better. Entirely up to you if you want to use them.

*Puts DM Fiat gloves back in the freezer**
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2012-07-09 at 03:44 AM.

20. - Top - End - #50

ElfWarriorGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    ....... I.... I don't know what to say....

[roll0]
    [roll1]

EDIT: There you go, still works out to be the quivilant of rolling two 3's, but still slightly better. Entirely up to you if you want to use them.

*Puts DM Fiat gloves back in the freezer**
    thanks... I'm tempted to roll a d2 to see if I should or not, so it scares me... I'll just take them if everyone else is okay with it.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

I know exactly how you feel D_Man, the dice roller always punks me when I'm rolling stats, I can never get anything over a 15, thats then normally it's a bunch of 11 and 12's.

22. - Top - End - #52

ElfWarriorGuy

If it is consistent, it might be able to work out, it just requires careful race and feet selection, but still difficult. I rolled up a character once IRL and all three sets of rolls resulted in nothing over 13 or one that consisted majorly of 10s and a 17... for a party tank and Close Quarter person, my only high skill was strength... and no con modifier . I was not amused and expected my character to die really early (and wanted him to for a while).

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok, just rolling some stats for a reacurring NPC that you may or may not end up working with for a little while:

Set One:
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[8]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[12]

Set Two:
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[16]
    (4d6b3)[11]

Set Three:
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[11]
    (4d6b3)[17]

EDIT: Ok... Dice roller is being nice... To bad those weren't for a real PC .
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2012-07-09 at 05:05 AM.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arranis Thelmos View Post
    I took the Darkwood shield personally, we can use it without spellcasting penalty right? Or am I misinterpreting the passage?

And I also finished my backstory:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Halabur spent his early years growing up with his aged uncle in an underground villiage with a small community of Whisper Gnomes. After Halabur's parents died in a kobold attack, his Uncle Blugby took the young waif in. At a young age he developed a small aptitude for magic, one which he nurtured with the aid of his uncle Blugby. Not long after his abilities began to wax stronger, the community was captured and enslaved by a band of kobolds under the command of the vicious half dragon-half bugbear warlord Kask Trang. Halabur continued to practice his magical abilities while under enslavement, focusing on creating illusions to fool his tormentors. After a month of preparations he initiated a breakout with the aid of the other Whisper Gnomes. It failed horribly. Despite their clever planning they were betrayed in the early stages and the slavers were prepared for them. Halabur panicked and left his family and friends behind, and saw his dear uncle beheaded from a distance. Halabur wallowed in his misery as he wandered lost through the tunnels. After a week, he finally made it to the surface and made it to a local farm. When his wounds were healed, he ventured off to his magical talents; ultimately seeking to gain power to destroy Kask Trang and avenge his family and honor.

Kask Trang
    Spoiler
    Show
    Half-Dragon, Half-Bugbear Barbarian. A warlord seeking to expand his underground dominion.
    Sorry I missed this question. As Marlowe already stated, ASF is still counted for a Darkwood shield, it's the Armour Check Pen thats is lessened.
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2012-07-10 at 04:33 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55

GreenSorcererElf

Okay, I'll take the Darkwood Buckler instead.

26. - Top - End - #56

ElfWarriorGuy

Isn't the Darkwood Buckler equivilent to a light wooden shield except for the Armour Check Penalty? Unless I'm Reading it wrong.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

It's the equivilant of a Masterwork buckler but only weighs half as much as normal, also costs less if I remember rightly (have only just woken up).

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

Hmm...Ok, I was going to try and do it off one set of rolls, but I'd think that I'd like to make a cleric, so I'll have another go.

(4d6b3)[7]
    (4d6b3)[10]
    (4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[18]
    (4d6b3)[13]
    (4d6b3)[9]
    (4d6b3)[14]

(4d6b3)[14]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[17]
    (4d6b3)[6]
    (4d6b3)[15]
    (4d6b3)[12]
    (4d6b3)[6]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ogre in the Playground

Well looking at those rolls, set 2 would be the one to go with.

30. - Top - End - #60

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Malak'ai View Post
    It's the equivilant of a Masterwork buckler but only weighs half as much as normal, also costs less if I remember rightly (have only just woken up).
    It still has a 5% ASF, so I guess roll a d20 before casting a spell. If you roll a one...