New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [Nexus] Mithar Keep II: Electric Boobaloo

[Path to the Keep]

"Ah, I don't know." Cessie excuses herself as her hands goes up to touch her hair. "I have to talk with Harnel about that."

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

[Path to the Keep]

"It's your choice, of course," Wenomir says. "I'll definetly see them once we're done with Harnel in the forge.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

3. - Top - End - #303

[Path to the Keep]

"Yes, but you just reminded me that I need to go and check on them again. Just follow the banking sounds and you'll see him. The mage says as she points in the direction of the forge.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

[Path to the Keep ==> Forge]

"Alright, thanks Cessie. See you later." Wenomir heads to Harnel's forge.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some other time: Courtyard

Kirin is in the courtyard, working out. She has to if she wants to keep any muscle on her body... "Use it or lose it" is very literal for her.

This is made more difficult by the lack of exercise equipment in the keep. She needs to do calisthenics, so she does.

Specifically, inverted push ups.

She doesn't even make it look hard.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forge]

When Wenomir enters the forge area, he may notice that things aren't built the same way a normal forge might. The forge itself is made of a darker material, and burns hotter than just about any other forge he would have come across. The anvil Harnel is working on is wider than normal, and Harnel's hammer glows in his hands. The whole place seems like it'd be inhospitable for most people, given how much of a hotbox it is.

Obviously, for Harnel, this level of hit is entirely comfortable. "Oh, hello Wenomir. Something I can help you with?" He's breathing heavy, as someone who works hard is wont to do. The metal he was working goes into a barrel filled with water, off to the side of the anvil which lets of a grand hiss of steam making the whole place feel a bit like a sauna.

[Some Other Time - Courtyard]

"I've never seen you working out before," Kirin will hear a voice behind her
    If You need me to post somewhere, drop me a message, please

Awesome avatar by the wondrous Kurien.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Dwarf in the Playground

Some Other Time - Courtyard

"Oh!"

Kirin will get down from her hand stand. "I need to do it more, truthfully. My body will burn my muscle if I let it. Hey, do you have any equipment around? Like, barbels or anything? Calisthenics are way too easy for me; I need to find something harder to do."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ogre in the Playground

[Courtyard - Harnel and Kirin]

"Honestly? I've noticed how easy it is for you to move. You don't even look that heavy, but you're lighter than you look." one of the benefits of being a trained warrior; you learn to read people, "I've got something in the armory you might find useful." He'll wave for her to follow, and head into the armor, which is across the front entrance from the forge. Kirin will have been in here a few times, obviously, and it's a bit of a mystery as to what Harnel is talking about.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Dwarf in the Playground

Courtyard - Harnel and Kirin

"Yeah, good eye. It's a magical effect, I think: I'm half as heavy as I should be. Well, not just heavy, but it's like... um... it's like I'm half as dense as I should be, so I only have half the mass, but I'm not really... and it breaks reality? I don't know how it works."
    Kirin will follow, trying to think of what Harnel is thinking of...

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Harnel stops and looks at Kirin curiously, then says, "May I?" and lifts out his hands. I think... he intends to try and lift her.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Huh? Oh, sure." She puts her arms out, so that she can be lifted.

Now, Keo looks about 80 pounds: very underweight. Of course, she basically has some dense muscle instead of any fat at all, so that might put her at 85 to 90? She weighs a bit over 40 pounds: Glaringly obviously too light.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Harnel will lift her briefly to test her weight and looks appraising, before placing her back on the ground, "Yeah, I've got a way to fix this."

Harnel will go into the armor and reach into a box that had been sitting under a pile of weapons, "For the most part, I train with weaponry. given the size of it, it keeps me in shape, which is hard to do for someone as strong as I am. But whenever I want to do more normal exercise , like pushups for example, then these are what I use." after a bit of digging, he manages to pull out several bands of adamantine, which he then puts around his wrists, forearms, biceps, thighs, ankles, neck, forehead, horns and several down the length of his tail.

Honestly? these things look like they weigh dozens of pounds together, and by now kirin knows adamantine weighs about two and a half times as much as steel does, "I can lift over three thousand pounds, but I only weigh three hundred, which leaves for a lot of problems when I'm running for exercise and the like. No way could I fly with all this on, obviously." Harnel, despite the ludicrous weight of what he's wearing, is moving almost normally, "I could make a set for you if you like, just not so heavy."

It might occur to Kirin that this is how he must have trained for the use of heavy armor.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Oh. That's pretty cool! I would like some of those. They would be really, really useful for me." Make it so that a workout was actually a workout! "Hey, while we're in the armory, can I ask you something?"

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

[Armory]

Harnel begins unbuckling the metal bands and tucking them back into the box, "... of course, I'll need to test how much you can lift in the first place... What's up?"

15. - Top - End - #315
    Dwarf in the Playground

Armory

"Uh, well, I have a boomerang that I can use to hurt people, and it's magical and always comes back, but it's... random. And sometimes it's just not useful. So, I was thinking I could learn knife throwing. Hm. I should probably learn knife fighting, too, since my punches are basically useless."
    She shrugs. "I know it really shouldn't come up, but if it does, I want to be ready for it, you know?"

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

[Armory]

Harnel nods, "Show me your claws, please," Harnel puts a hand out, showing Kirin the wicked blades that tip his fingers and thumb. They, of course, are also on his feet. He intends to take her hand while the claws are out so her can look them over, judge how strong they are, and how much damage they could do if applied.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Dwarf in the Playground

Armory

Kirin shows her claws. They're not too big, but moderately sharp. They could probably cause surface damage, some bleeding if used right, but they aren't really very dangerous. In the hands (no pun intended) of an amazingly skilled and dextrous fighter, they could be lethal...

Of course, if they're only half as heavy as they could be, it would damage their effectiveness a bit. They could get going faster, but they still don't have enough effective mass to be fully effective.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

[Armory]

He looks them over seriously, and will turn Kirin's hands if she lets him, looking very appraising, "I can teach you how to be an effective fighter. If we're going to do that though, our first objective is to teach you how to properly use you claws. You can't always have a weapon on hand, after all."

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Harnel View Post
    [Forge]

When Wenomir enters the forge area, he may notice that things aren't built the same way a normal forge might. The forge itself is made of a darker material, and burns hotter than just about any other forge he would have come across. The anvil Harnel is working on is wider than normal, and Harnel's hammer glows in his hands. The whole place seems like it'd be inhospitable for most people, given how much of a hotbox it is.

Obviously, for Harnel, this level of heat is entirely comfortable. "Oh, hello Wenomir. Something I can help you with?" He's breathing heavy, as someone who works hard is wont to do. The metal he was working goes into a barrel filled with water, off to the side of the anvil which lets of a grand hiss of steam making the whole place feel a bit like a sauna.
    Wenomir wipes the sweat off his brow. Gods, it's hot in here. He's been to many forges, but never one like this.
    "Hey Harnel. I wanted to talk about weaponmaking. I don't know if you've seen me practicing with an axe lately."

20. - Top - End - #320
    Dwarf in the Playground

Armory

"That's true. I suppose some unarmed training would be useful."

She nods. "I need more to do, anyway. I can only spend so much time following the news."

21. - Top - End - #321
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forge]

"Sorry about that. Adamantine has a higher melting point, so it takes a special furnace to do. Let's step outside," Harnel will take off the blacksmithing apron he was wearing and walk towards the door, "So I'm guessing you want me to make you a proper axe, right? Do you have a design in mind this time, or should I customize it how I see fit?"

[Armory]

"Do you want to start now, or some other time?" Harnel asks.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Dwarf in the Playground

Armory

"Now, sure. I came out here to exercise, anyway."
    She'll start walking out towards the courtyard, expecting Harnel to follow.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

[Forge]

"I wanted your help in making a new axe, yes. Now, the model I'm thinking about is the bearded axe." Wenomir pulls out a sheet of paper with some pictures and schematics for the axe. "Now, I've heard that often, only the edge of the axe was made of steel. Usually the rest was iron, but I think we could put something exotic there."

24. - Top - End - #324
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forge]

Harnel nods, looking over the schematic, "We've got a few different things we can use. I'm a bit of a collector of rare metals and all. Mithral, helliron, adamantine, and this esoteric crystal substance are all things I have a good supply of. any of those catch your interest?"

[Courtyard]

Harnel nods, "Right then, show me what you can do." He'll take a ready stance n the courtyard, waiting for Kirin to come after him. he won't make any threatening moves during this fight, instead intending just to see what sort of fighting she'd capable of.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

[Forge]

"Hm. I know of Adamantine, but what properties do Helliron, Mithral and that crystal substance have?" Wenomir asks.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Dwarf in the Playground

Courtyard

It quickly becomes obvious that Kirin took a few lessons a couple years ago, before she was made super-light, and that she's become rusty since then. She knows the basics, but not much beyond that.

However, she's fast. Not having as much mass as she should (or something) and having a well-honed body means that she can move very fast, indeed... she could definitely move faster with training, though.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

[Forge]

"Mithral is a very lightweight metal, about half the weight of steel. Basically, it's magical silver, in terms of appearance and effect. The crystal is odd; it's got a sort of resonance to it. it's very strong, but brittle, so it probably wouldn't stand up to really excessive use; I think it'd be better as a dagger or another light weapon than something long. Helliron though? I honestly don't know. The stock I have was a wedding gift from Terrowin, and I haven't gotten around to asking him it's properties."

[Courtyard]

Harnel has fought fast moving enemies before, and staying entirely on the defensive allows him to block whatever Kirin throws at him. For the most part, he's occupying himself by recording where Kirin strikes for.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

[Forge]

Wenomir nods and rubs his chin.
    "Hm. Not sure if mithral will work. An axe hilt can't be too light, or it won't have enough force behind it. Helliron might work. If only for the delicious irony when I use it on Terrowin's fellow cultists," Wenomir says. They still have a score to settle with the Cult of Dalachrech. "Maybe we could try to find out its properties on our own."

29. - Top - End - #329
    Dwarf in the Playground

Courtyard

Mainly the face. A bit at the kidneys or other things that you pick up in simple classes. She sometimes specifically swipes at the hands, something that might be useful in disarming the enemy. Not really dangerous against Harnel's scales, though.

30. - Top - End - #330

[At the Cliffs]

A sunny day Cessie have decided to take a walk outside the keeps walls, an earth elemental have put down her two children at a smooth spot of land where one can keep an eye on them. The sorceress herself is sitting on a chair she have placed on the ground and is reading a book about algorithms.

As she is slightly distracted by her book, she let's the elemental help her keep an eye on the twins so they don't crawl away somewhere. Right now the two seem to be enjoying themselves however as they are busy trying to chew on the blanket Cessie have put out underneath them.