New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Banned

Default Re: LGBTAitP Part 25: Doing away with titles

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    The inverse poses an intruiging question as well - what would a straight person do if they were magically turned gay for a day? Would they embrace it or would they worry themselves silly?

For me, I'm all about embracing....
    Assuming they only change what springs attraction, and nothing else, they would just have the same response as they would to someone else being gay, from "darn" to a deep self loathing.
    Assuming a change of preferred gender and a sudden understanding d the topic (or just not caring) then I think it would be eye opening, but would have a lot d clashes with machismo. On both sides, as women who suddenly woke up not liking men could be just as much measured by macho stereotypes as men who wake up not liking women.

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Okay guys. For everyone here who isn't heteronormative, if you could choose to wake up tomorrow feeling like any straight cis person of your sex, would you?

I'm curious because I'm wondering how much people's identities compare to the burden many in society place on LGBTers. I'm also curious how much people would hate the idea of losing free will, but that's another thing.
    I don't know.
    I've always felt sex was a suit I couldn't change, the hand I was dealt and I'll just hope for better next time. So my being 'manly' was mostly conscious choice. I can't be a woman like I want so I may as well be good at what I'm stuck with, you know?

That was all before puberty though. I've thought about this question in various incarnations and I really don't know. I assume the part of me that cares about being feminine would be the feminine side; that is, I would wake up a cismale who also was okay with that. In which case I would be okay after the fact, regardless of how I felt about transitioning beforehand.

If that wasn't the case, I think I would feel hollow. Like I was an incomplete puzzle? It a strange sensation. Soulless. So I guess I will go with "no", but I will wheedle at these mystic men to perhaps offer me tw chance to wake up tomorrow as a cisfemale, with matching birth certificate and all. That would really ease things along, if you'd be so kind

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP Part 25: Doing away with titles

Okay guys. For everyone here who isn't heteronormative, if you could choose to wake up tomorrow feeling like any straight cis person of your sex, would you?

I'm curious because I'm wondering how much people's identities compare to the burden many in society place on LGBTers. I'm also curious how much people would hate the idea of losing free will, but that's another thing.
    Before I make my eloquent and well-worded reply, I will have to warn readers that these are mere subjective opinions that express the value and meaning of certain things to me. They are not indicative of my opinion of their effect to others or their value to society. IE, if I find a colour meh for me, it can be yay for you. [/disclaimerMonocle]

Now for my reply: Eeeeeeew! Icky ick ick no! Gross! >_<

I would give up free will for not dying after a short human life, though... But would that not be an act of free will? O_o

@_o Ow, my poor paradox-intolerant brain. >_<
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Before I make my eloquent and well-worded reply, I will have to warn readers that these are mere subjective opinions that express the value and meaning of certain things to me. They are not indicative of my opinion of their effect to others or their value to society. IE, if I find a colour meh for me, it can be yay for you. [/disclaimerMonocle]

Now for my reply: Eeeeeeew! Icky ick ick no! Gross! >_<

I would give up free will for not dying after a short human life, though... But would that not be an act of free will? O_o

@_o Ow, my poor paradox-intolerant brain. >_<

Can I just add that you are one awesome Kobold?

-----

Iunno, my queerness has influenced who I am partly, who I'm friends with, what opinions I hold, what I know and all that. That person wouldn't be me I feel because the change wouldn't be a thing that came from myself. (not that getting rid of dysphoria wouldn't be a nice thing... )
    Last edited by Astrella; 2012-07-18 at 05:59 AM.
    I make avatars. Sometimes.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

No, but then, I've got it easy. It'd be harder for me (discrimination, no marriage, hard to get children) if I was in a relationship with a woman instead of with a man, but then, I'd love her so I wouldn't want to change. So, still no.

Actually, I kind of feel like I'm in the shallow end of the LGBT+ pool! I am cis and I can pass as straight.

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KenderWizard View Post
    Actually, I kind of feel like I'm in the shallow end of the LGBT+ pool! I am cis and I can pass as straight.
    Don't worry; there's plenty of harmful stereotypes and erasure to compensate for that!
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #216
    Troll in the Playground

Don't worry; there's plenty of harmful stereotypes and erasure to compensate for that!

Edit: Some good trans*-related news from Scotland.
    Last edited by Astrella; 2012-07-18 at 06:15 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

That would be terribly inconvenient.

Since I've just almost gotten used to being gay now.

Becoming straight would mean having to start back over.

I'm far to lazy to deal with that.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Bugbear in the Playground

No, I wouldn't. Losing the ability to love women would be sad. I'm happy I can (theoretically) love everyone.
    You can call me Juniper. Please use gender-neutral pronouns (ze/hir (preferred) or they/them) when referring to me.

"We all are vessels of our brokenness, we carry it inside us like water, careful not to spill. And what is wholeness if not brokenness encompassed in acceptance, the warmth of its power a shield against those who would hurt us?" - R. Lemberg, Geometries of Belonging

Stories Art

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: LGBTAitP Part 25: Doing away with titles

Quote Originally Posted by Astrella View Post

Can I just add that you are one awesome Kobold?
    Well, uhm, Thanks.

If the LGBT+ (the bestest blood-type!) pool is like the water parks I know, then you have all the colourful sculptures and springs in the shallow end! Those are really fun! ^_^

Huh? Why is my logic-sense telling me it is a metaphor? Is there no LGBT+ pool? Oh noes! O_O

Edit: Some good trans*-related news from Scotland.
    Eep! Those are bad indeed. ;_;

Re: Scottrans* amazingness: Those are great news for Scotland and the Scottish LGBTA+ peeps. I hope much more amazing progress follows.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

No, but then, I've got it easy. It'd be harder for me (discrimination, no marriage, hard to get children) if I was in a relationship with a woman instead of with a man, but then, I'd love her so I wouldn't want to change. So, still no.

Some of us don't even get to go swimming in the rainbow pool but instead wander up and down along the edge (occasionally wondering whether to dive in or not).

Really should go swimming again.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Troll in the Playground

Some of us don't even get to go swimming in the rainbow pool but instead wander up and down along the edge (occasionally wondering whether to dive in or not).
    Yeah, I always do that too, because I'm not fond of swimming. And I have a love-hate relationship with water. No, actually, it's just a plain old hate relationship, where I avoid it carefully, and it doesn't try to drown me, and we all live happily separately.
    ... wait, were we talking about metaphoric pools?
    ... whaddanow, my comment still works on a metaphoric level. Seems to happen to me a lot. *shrugs*
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Phew! ... Wait. Aww...

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    If the LGBT+ (the bestest blood-type!) pool is like the water parks I know, then you have all the colourful sculptures and springs in the shallow end! Those are really fun! ^_^
    Good point! I wonder what sculptures are in this metaphor... Exciting LGBT+ related experiences?

Really should go swimming again.
    Yeah, this is kind of making me want to go swimming too!

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Yeah, I always do that too, because I'm not fond of swimming. And I have a love-hate relationship with water. No, actually, it's just a plain old hate relationship, where I avoid it carefully, and it doesn't try to drown me, and we all live happily separately.
    ... wait, were we talking about metaphoric pools?
    ... whaddanow, my comment still works on a metaphoric level. Seems to happen to me a lot. *shrugs*
    ... I think your metaphorical pool is different than mine. In mine, it's the people who are both heteronormative and gendernormative who are outside the pool, on the flat alternating tiles of cis and straight. I think asexual people would be on floaty chairs! On the water, not in the water.

Wow, I really want to go swimming!

Cheerfairy, Kenderwoman and Geologist by Succubus, Feminist Geomancer by Astrella, Kender Wizard by me

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Aww yeah, floaty chairs, I like that much better than standing around the pool.
    Until I want to leave the pool. Then I'll flail, panic, and waste three hours paddling veeeery carefully back to the edge.
    (No, we've definitely left the metaphor here.)

Speaking of pools, BF hasn't gone back since last time.
    ... we haven't jogged in a while either.
    Dammit, he's overworking and I'm slacking off! Again!
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

The inverse poses an intruiging question as well - what would a straight person do if they were magically turned gay for a day? Would they embrace it or would they worry themselves silly?

For me, I'm all about embracing....
    I love women too much to consider homosexuality. Bisexuality on the other hand... and quite frankly, being trans seems a massive pain as things are now so no thanks.

Oooh, and that's a bad miss.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

15. - Top - End - #225
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

If I woke up one day to find I was bisexual or lesbian, I'd shrug and carry on with life. The latter would make things a bit complicated with my friend w/ benefits, but otherwise it'd make little difference to life in general.

If I woke up to find myself with a male body, then the first thing I'd do is fap, and the second is find a girl to have sex with. Curiosity's sake, I know what it's all like from the female side of things, but the male side of things is an alien concept.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ettin in the Playground

Would be pretty much the same for me if I woke up with a female body - I'd be interested in finding out the....mechanics....of it with regard to intimacy. Purely for scientific purposes of course, which raises all manner of questions about my inner scientist.

I don't think I'd want it longer than a day though - that business with the blood looks painful, awkward and highly stressy.

EDIT: I'm worried now. Having said this, by standard comedy rules, I'm going to wake up in the body of a petite young lady with amazingly thick glasses....

.....and Cassie's going to wake up in charge of me.
    Last edited by The Succubus; 2012-07-18 at 09:12 AM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Well, I for one wouldn't be interested at all.
    Afghdhs, bits I'm not used to and that I'm going to have to use, eeek.
    Boyfriend would surely find it more interesting than I do, though, being bi and all.

18. - Top - End - #228
    Troll in the Playground

Trust me, having the "other" bits is not all that it's made out to.
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

I do trust you on that subject.
    I imagine it would be less immediately dramatic for me to have been born trans instead of waking up with a changed body, since at least I would have had the time and experience to know how these bits function.

(Not that the latter case happens often, admittedly...
    I did read, several years ago, about the case of a young Indian woman who was, putting things simply, wishing very hard they were a man, for evident social reasons, though I wouldn't rule out their gender identity either. They woke up with male genitals eventually, and they were very happy about that, and their equally happy mother claimed it was a divine act.
    Now, the article had been vague. Maybe that person was actually physically intersex and undiagnosed as such. Maybe it was a hoax.

Note: I'm using they here because I honestly don't know how that person defines themself, and wanting to appear male just to avoid oppression alone doesn't make one male.)

20. - Top - End - #230
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    If I woke up one day to find I was bisexual or lesbian, I'd shrug and carry on with life. The latter would make things a bit complicated with my friend w/ benefits, but otherwise it'd make little difference to life in general.

If I woke up to find myself with a male body, then the first thing I'd do is fap, and the second is find a girl to have sex with. Curiosity's sake, I know what it's all like from the female side of things, but the male side of things is an alien concept.
    Pretty much the same for me (without the fwb bit...), except I must admit I'd probably be kinda embarrassed to admit the gay bit to some of my family, particularly my mum. I'm not entirely sure why, except that it sorta feels like the same sort of embarrassment as if I had to tell her I have sex.
    Assuming the non-cis bit went in the form of my body changing, it'd also be pretty much the same thing. "*Wiggle wiggle wiggle* Hmmm... *touch* *play* ....hey, open-minded lady* friends of mine! ;D" Also a great deal of "omg how the eff did that happen?!" and "no one will believe me!" and so on. After that, in the long term... I don't know. I'd imagine I'd settle in and deal with it, but I'd be very interested to see if I don't.
    If it were the other way round, if one day I woke up and my brain was all "wrong wrong wrong this is wrong!", then... I dunno. It'd suck, I guess :/ It'd certainly be an interesting experience...

*One step at a time, guys. You'll have your chance later.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Titan in the Playground

Elephants have a prehensile penis. I am jealous.

“Don't exercise your freedom of speech until you have exercised your freedom of thought.”
    ― Tim Fargo

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Asta, the thing hanging in front of the elephant is not a penis. It's called a trunk. Common mistake.

... oh wait you aren't joking.
    Okay, I learnt enough weird facts for today, see ya later y'all.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

BardGuy

Well golly, golly! I wouldn't, because that would mean all my gayness has been washed from every part of me, including my past actions and memory. To give up my affinity to penis and repulsion to vaginas(boobs are fine as long as no one is shoving them in my face), would mean I have to forfeit several learned personality traits, a few bad, but many good, and many friendships, if I erased my gayness I would never have joined this thread and I would never have been able to talk about some of the biggest changes for some of my closest friends (ie some of my female friends, I think 2 bisexuals and 2 lesbians) and help each other. I guess you can say I've become too sentimental about what my gayness has opened up for me, so I don't think I'll ever be able to let it go.
    And so doth the winds of destiny change my course for better or worse for the whole of time.
    LGBTitP

Spoiler
    Show

Quotes about me!

Quote Originally Posted by Arachu View Post
    You're fun to talk to. ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by goletan
    Maturity is a word boring people use to describe themselves. And crazy is the word they use for fun people.

Besides, the dirty old guy is a staple of fiction everywhere.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post

For me, if I woke up as a woman, yes, there would be the immediate exploration of my new anatomy. Moving from that directly to finding an interested man/woman to have sex with would be the ideal, but practically speaking there'd probably be intermediate stages like calling a female friend (if it happened right now, probably Serp) and asking foor her help getting generally sorted out, maybe getting bras and stuff.
    As to the "Hey, open-minded friends of mine" stage, a bunch of the people I would think of might be ruled out due to being in relationships (in some cases with each other).

If I woke up a different sexuality... it'd be confusing. Both for me and for some of my friends, since flirting and such tends to be a thing. Though I suppose in the long run it wouldn't make such a massive difference. Well, if I became asexual that'd be a pretty big difference.
    "'But there's still such a lot to be done...'
    YES. THERE ALWAYS IS."

25. - Top - End - #235
    Titan in the Playground

Assuming the non-cis bit went in the form of my body changing, it'd also be pretty much the same thing. "*Wiggle wiggle wiggle* Hmmm... *touch* *play* ....hey, open-minded lady* friends of mine! ;D" Also a great deal of "omg how the eff did that happen?!" and "no one will believe me!" and so on. After that, in the long term... I don't know. I'd imagine I'd settle in and deal with it, but I'd be very interested to see if I don't.

You would have some pretty epic manboobs.

― Tim Fargo

26. - Top - End - #236
    Colossus in the Playground

Do not want!

27. - Top - End - #237
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post

...huh.
    Apparently, despite having met Cassie, I still see her as being sorta innocent.
    APPARENTLY NOT THEN

Do not want!
    Silly Asta. She'd have to be as hot as she is now, so... lithe and muscly without being over-buff, tall...
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, if we're also answering what we'd do if we woke up as the opposite physical sex... Lady-bits are confusing enough, I don't want man-bits. ... Although masturbation seems much more straightforward, so that'd be a plus. Also, I think my partner would be pretty cut up about it. The only bit I'd like is being able to have male privilege in nerd spaces and on the streets. But I don't think it'd be worth it!

29. - Top - End - #239
    Titan in the Playground

If I woke up as a girl, I'd be really, really, really, really happy, so long as I could explain it's me and I wasn't kidnapped or anything.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    If I woke up as a girl, I'd be really, really, really, really happy, so long as I could explain it's me and I wasn't kidnapped or anything.
    *nod*
    I just wasn't sure if the question meant I'd be a cis guy or a cis girl in that case. :s

-----

Some thoughts on trans and sexism related terminology.
    Last edited by Astrella; 2012-07-18 at 02:58 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show