Page 1 of 21 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC: Thread II

9 Rova, 4708. Korvosa, Varisia

The defeat of the blood veil has been a long time coming. In the past weeks of riots and death, Korvosa's citizens have seen more destruction that they ever thought to endure. It is miraculous, they murmur, that they have come out alive at all. As priests and alchemists travel from house to house, prayers of relief are uttered, and the people seem to find some small measure of peace. Pyres of bodies still light the night as whole houses are found to be the graves of entire families, and the streets are still patrolled by the grim Grey Maidens, but an air of calm has descended over the frenetic city.

A week passes slowly. The markets gradually fill with people. Everywhere you go on the streets, you are recognized. The people know you, now; word has spread of the heroes who battled against countless horrors to save them all time and time again. Tavern-keeps push their finest ales on you free of charge as soon as you enter, and blacksmiths and enchanters bow low as you look through their wares...

Finally, as the city returns to a semblance of its former self, there comes an invitation to Castle Korvosa to formally reward and honour those who risked their lives in the city's troubles.

The Castle is a familiar sight, but its towering black walls and obsidian towers are nonetheless impressive. In the immense throne room with its plush red carpets, its hall of pillars, and the infamous Crimson Throne, the best of the city is assembled. You spot Mother Dawnflower, Archbanker Tuttle, and priests of virtually every faith. Cressida Kroft, of course, is there, her armour polished and formal, with a flowing gold cloak draped behind her. She is talking with a tall, handsome man, with blond hair and a finely crafted suit of leather armour filigreed with curling images of hippogryphs - Marcus Endrin, the commander of Sable Company. Togomor is there as well, as are numerous nobles.

The ceremony begins with a sounding of trumpets, and, one by one, Korvosa's honoured saviours ascend a flight of black marble stairs to approach the Crimson Throne, where Queen Ileosa stands smiling and clapping humbly, the very image of a radiant, beloved monarch.

Kroft bows low as she is honoured. "Field Marshal Cressida Kroft, without your rare valour, this city would not stand. We all stand in great debt to you and your brave men and women."

And so the ceremony continues. As one, you are all called to the Throne. "The greatest debt of all is owed to these brave heroes. They fought for us in a time of great need, and it is by their actions that we are gathered here today, triumphant. It is not for us to celebrate until our time of mourning for the lost has passed, but, please, celebrate these fine souls alongside me." With a graceful smile, the Queen bows low. All around you, the entire room drops to their knees: nobles and knights, the finest wizards of the Academae, and the highest priests of the city's faiths...

Spoiler
    Show
    I thought we'd start off the second thread with something hopefully fun.

I'd like you to each describe your character physically. We have descriptions on our sheets, sure, but you guys have been through a lot. And, frankly, you're pretty cool now with your magic clothes, weapons and armour. So go ahead and tell us what you look like now!
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

Games stuff:

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC: Thread II

The weeks leading up to the Ceremony were some of the most relaxing of Aldrin's life, despite the fact that he and few precious others knew the sinister truth behind the Veil. He wanted to assist the priests as best he could, but Aldrin knows he is anything but a healer. Instead, he put his skills toward organization and as a spokesperson, speaking for the various temples and the Korvosan guard, assuring the citizens that they were doing all in their power to remove the plague upon their city.

In the meantime, the Hellknights released their holding on objects deemed not dangerous from the Cress estate, possibly through the good word of Dresane, but Aldrin decided against asking. He placed the new collection of books in the small room affording to him as living quarters within the Citadel, and read over their contents in his free time. These, were, of course freely exchanged among his comrades, though gifting A Concise History of Varisia to Dastan perhaps was a bit mean-spirited.

Though still haunted by the prospect of an assassination attempt, Aldrin managed to get far more sleep than normal, having quite the beneficial effect on his appearance. The dark shadows under his eyes softened, his long hair was straightened, and eventually tied up into a ponytail, resting on his back. He adorned himself in finer clothes, favoring deep shades of blue, which fit his now straightened frame, standing over 6 feet tall, unlike his previous slouch during his beggar years.

For the ceremony, however, Aldrin wished to present himself as a hero - a guardian of the city rather than just a well-off citizen. Rather than his standard fare, Aldrin selected a newly acquired mage's robe; jet black, with red stitchwork resembling patches of fire. Right above his crimson eyes rests a golden circlet adorned with a ruby, enhancing his magical prowess. As he is called upon, he steps forward, smiling at the Korvosans before him, and speaks in voice that travels far, despite its limited volume.

"My name is Aldrin Cress. If you were present in this chamber a few months ago, then you remember my parents' execution. I'm not here to deny their actions, or speak ill of their deeds, but to inform you that a new legacy of the Cress family begins today. No longer is it a name to be feared, but one that will reside in the annals of Korvosa's history, as the surname of one who dedicated his life to the good people in front of him this day.

Though I endeaver to devote my life to serving this grand city, more than just my assistance is required. My companions beside me have each contributed greatley to this cause, and even then, we need the help of all the Korvosan population, regardless of family history or personal ties. We have avoided a major tragedy, but we must remain vigilant through troubling time ahead. Use your best judgement, and help the Korvosan Guard, Sable Company, and the various temples in the best manner you can until the glory of this city leaves a basking light visible across the darkest reaches of Varisia.

Thank you for your time. I am forever in your service."

He finishes with a bow and another smile, and remains silent as the others speak their words.

Spoiler
    Show
    Edit: Might as well use Detect Charm while mingling on the off chance any of the nobility is possessed. Hopefully not!
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2012-07-11 at 04:46 PM.

DMs get experience too, you know. Every time a player dies, they level up.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dresane has spent the weeks since the victory over the Urgathoans doggedly digging through the Hospice for anything of interest. With the Queen likely watching, she knows this is a dangerous course of action. But, she reasons, as a Hellknight, doing otherwise might be even more suspicious, and she makes sure that all her findings support the conclusion that the cultists were unaffiliated agents bent on destruction only for religious reasons.

She steps up to receive her honors now, her face stony, as usual. Her jagged, spined Hellknight plate is burnished steel, with black leather underneath that creaks somewhat as she moves. She has made little change to her appearance, even for such an occasion. The only one is a small broach offset over one ear, resting in her short hair. Otherwise, there is no jewellery to speak off. Instead of a necklace and rings, she has her bow. The long, black instrument is wood and metal, reinforced and deadly. A thin line of infernal scripture runs down its spine.

Dresane stands stiffly upon receiving her honors. She salutes the queen, putting a hand to her breast, curling it into a fist. "Your late husband's mother brought the Hellknights to Korvosa," she says. "We serve still, Queen Ileosa." To the crowd, she adds, her voice less authoritative than usual, unused to such crowds, that "I will be the first and last defense of this city. Each of you must do the same. Fight, die, but never falter." She nods at the crowd, jerking her head up and down sharply as she retreats from the spotlight.
    The wonderful Athena avatar is courtesy of Akrim.elf!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Dastan spends the week keeping busy as best he can, protecting the alchemists creating and distributing the cure during the day before travelling to the temple of Sarenrae at night to expend his own healing abilities on those who need them, falling into a bunk or even a bedroll for a swift rest and then waking at dawn to pray to Iomedae and begin the process again. For one day he goes without his armour, as Jensi and the group's spellcasters improve the magics protecting it, and he takes Aldrin's 'gift' mostly at face value, reading it whenever he has a moment. After all, he should really know more about the people who he serves. Overall, though, the Paladin is simply doing everything he can to keep himself busy with the sort of work a champion of the just should be occupied by, rather than worrying about the cancer lurking at the heart of the now-recovering city.

He also writes three letters, two to be sent back to the City at the Centre of the World and the third to be delivered by less common methods. The first is addressed to Roche Swiftblade, Knight Lord of the Tempering Hall in Absalom, who oversaw his training. It tersely describes the events of the past few weeks in Korvosa, then requests that any Paladins who might be spared be sent to Varisia. "I sense that this city is not yet through with suffering. I will do what I can to protect it on my own, but I will be grateful for any more blades to stand against the darkness." The second is addressed to his mother, Arianna Grayson, wherever she may be found. It is more personal, detailing the disappearance of Stephan's daughter and his fruitless attempts to find her. He mentions only in passing the problems facing Korvosa, and not at all his involvement in them. The last is the most personal of all, and the shortest. "I am doing my best to live up to your example, Father. As always, I am glad for your gifts. If you are watching, I hope you are not too disappointed with my failures." It is delivered only to an open flame.

-----

Dastan comes to the ceremony fully clad in his armour, polished to a brilliant shine in anticipation for a meeting with the city's elite, and in case the hidden conspiracy at the city's heart takes this time to act. He owns no fine clothing, for he cares little for anything which does not directly improve his ability to fight the forces of anarchy and destruction. The sword-star of Iomedae stands out on his chest, emblazoned in durable gold flake and carefully repainted the day before to erase the scratches and chips made inevitable by weeks of combat. He wears no helm, and even without his shining armour his inhuman face would make him stand out among the dark-featured Varisians, particularly now as it is framed by a simple steel circlet with a brilliant sapphire resting in the centre of his forehead. His metallic hair, a shade which at first glance might be mistaken for a particularly bright auburn but in the end seems closer to copper wire than any human feature, makes him visible from across the room while disturbing eyes the shade and consistancy of molten gold observe the room with quiet intesity. Around his shoulders hangs a heavy cloak died crimson in imitation of his patron's aspect following its capture from the Cultists of Urgathoa seven days prior, chained across his gorget and clasped with the Pseudodragon's Mark bestowed on him what seems half a lifetime ago. He wears the Field Marshal's magical sword scabbarded at his hip, peace-bonded with fine wire in demonstration that he has no intention of drawing it. When asked, he simply responds that it is "The second honour bestowed upon me by the city, and by far the greater of the two. I would no more go without it than without the other."

In response to the Queen's declarations he merely bows and simply states, "As always, it is my honour to serve the good people of this city. The true heroes are the alchemists who recreated the cure, the priests and Guardsmen who contained the outbreak and the brave volunteers who gave their time to deal with the aftermath." He leaves more complicated sentiments and stirring speeches to the others; Dastan is merely doing what he was born to do, nothing more. If anything he seems somewhat unnerved by all of the attention rather than honoured as intended, though he takes it all in with customary stoicism.

Spoiler
    Show

Well, looks like we've got everyone wealthy and powerful in the city handy, in a relatively casual setting. I might never have an opportunity like this again...

Dastan will activate Detect Evil at some point during the evening, since as an SLA it has no visual or audible components to give it away. If he gets any 'pings', he takes a Move action and narrows his eyes to determine the source and strength of any Evil auras. He'll take the opportunity to sweep the room, catching as many of the guests as possible. He'll also make sure to sweep the Throne, given the dark rumours about the 'curse' on it. With a 60 foot range, it shouldn't be too hard or time-consuming to scan the whole room, even as large as it is.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

With the plague rapidly ending, Jensi spends most of his time tinkering away within the Citadel. His simple quarters, once clear of debris, are now littered with bits and bobs of all kinds. The oracle has fun working, whistling or singing quietly as he enchants armour and weapons. He adds his own touches, embroidering Aldrin's new robes with a red fire pattern that, according to Jensi, will match his friend's eyes. Some of these seem to be appreciated more than others: the bows and flowers that he attaches to Dresane's harsh metallic bow, he notices, are removed almost immediately.

In his free time, Jensi ventures to some of the local temples, providing what aid he can to the remaining victims of the plague, even if this simply means chattering happily at their bedside to take their minds of their suffering. Despite these long hours, the youth remains bright and full of energy.

Jensi turns up to the ceremony clean and wearing his best clothes. His tunic is still a simple white, though admittedly cleaner than it has been in weeks. Over this, however, is an elegant silvery breastplate, carved with a delicate pattern of vaguely floral spirals, and a white cloak of fine silk. His light blonde hair curls in ringlets, spilling over a filigreed silver headband. Inset in this is a large, iridescent opal, which casts a shimmering rainbow light when the sun strikes it. He undoubtably looks more impressive than he was months ago, when he was a mere Varisian street urchin.

As the Queen speaks, Jensi furrows his brow and glares at her angrily before remembering that the group has decided to conceal their knowledge of her doings. Instead, he speaks in response. "I don't think we're really heroes," he begins. "We just did what everyone should do - we helped out people when they needed help. If everybody just did that, there wouldn't be any problems in Korvosa! Everybody, even Queens. But I am glad we helped," he says, grinning at the crowd a little sillily.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Jensi Jiri in Curse of the Crimson Throne Parts I, II, III, and IV, and Zivian Thiel in The King's Men.

Spoiler: Old Games
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

The crowd of Korvosa's elite citizens applaud loudly after each speech, the cavernous throne room filling with the sounds of their clapping. With the day's bright sunlight streaming in through the high glass windows, the room seems filled with the city's collective elation.

Dastan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Probably a third of the nobles are evil to some extent. Togomor registers as moderately evil. Ileosa, Kroft, Endrin (the Sable Company Commander), Archbanker Tuttle, and Mother Dawnflower do not. Neither does the Queen's black-haired bodyguard.

The Crimson Throne itself has no evil aura.

Aldrin
    Spoiler
    Show
    All of the Grey Maidens here seem to bear an enchantment similar to the doctors you've seen before: an extremely powerful, warping influence on their minds. No one else does, however.

Queen Ileosa raises a hand to quiet the room, and you proceed down from the Crimson Throne's raised pedestal to rejoin the crowd. The Queen closes her eyes briefly, smiling. She opens them as a hush falls over the throne room; they are blue with an eager, urgent sheen to them, her eyelids dark.

"There is another matter. This occasion is one of joy and renewal." She voice hardens. "But it must also be one of justice and punishment. We must make right the wrongs that led us to this point. The blood veil was caused by the tainted coin of a sunken vessel." She turns her head to look down at one figure in the crowd. "Commander Endrin, approach the throne."

The blond haired man beside Kroft seems to hesitate for a moment, then strides forwards, dark boots clicking against the floor. Cressida casts a nervous glance back towards you, then stares with lips tight at the scene before her. Grey Maidens move to block the crowd's access to the throne as Endrin passes their ranks.

"Korvosa's safety is the responsibility the Sable Company, Commander. Yet in days and weeks past, it has become clear to me that the Company's glory lies in its past, not its future. By my right as Queen of Korvosa, I hereby strip you of your rank and disband the Sable Company. Step forward, Marcus Endrin, and relinquish your badge of office."

Endrin's face betrays shock and anger. He stands on the final step before Ileosa, frozen. Slowly, visibly, he steels himself. With a click, the winged badge of his station is unclipped. He holds it in his hand, outstretched towards the Queen. Then, in a swift and sudden motion, the former Commander throws the badge at Ileosa. It strikes her on the cheek. The room goes completely silent.

Endrin bellows: "Your shameful reign ends today! Korvosa will be freed of you before you take her freedoms!" There is a crossbow in his hand, suddenly, pointed squarely at the Queen. As the numerous bodyguards rush forwards, the device snaps, its bolt flying towards the Queen's shocked face...

The Curse of the Crimson Throne
    Part 3: Escape from Old Korvosa

...It should have hit, but it didn't. The bolt was a perfect shot. The Queen should be dead. But at the last moment, in a crackle of cold blue light, the arrow is scraping across her temple. A line of blood falls along her jawline, and her face floods with a deep, hot anger.

Before any guard can reach the Commander, Ileosa herself does. One of her hands is on his throat, lifting him off his feet, holding him up, choking, for all to see. Endrin's splintered arrow is gripped in her other hand. With hatred in her eyes, she stabs, the weapon's head entering Endrin's throat. As her gurgles and dies, the Queen throws his limp body to the floor, turning to the crowd, her eyes a flaming blue. "This is the fate of all traitors," she pronounces. "Mark him well if your mind harbours thoughts unbecoming of my subjects!"
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2012-07-13 at 09:42 PM.

Games stuff:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Dastan reacts immediately at the short spurt of violence, his hand reaching out instinctively to the sword sheathed at his hip before he realizes that he won't be able to draw it for a fight. Reconsidering, he falls back on a new spell bestowed upon him by his divine patron. "Lumen Veritatis!" For a moment, the sunlight in the room seems to coalesce in front of him, before he reaches forwards and grasps at what appears to be a spear of solid light, shining brilliantly even in the well-lit room, before setting it into a ready position. He shouts a challenge to the room. "Queen Ileosa Arabasti, I accuse you of murder, treason and association with the followers of Urgathoa! Surrender to face judgement, or I will strike you down as your crimes demand!" His expression resolves into a mask of disdainful wrath as he makes the declaration, finally finished with hiding his emotions, his inhuman eyes and hair gleaming like molten metal in the glow of the weapon of divine light he holds.

Spoiler
    Show

Casting Light Lance as a Standard action, then declaring Smite Evil against the Queen as a Swift action, since I'm pretty sure she has no intention of surrendering. If necessary, Dastan will also move up to 20 feet into a better tactical position to charge either the Queen or the Seneschal.

Yeah, screaming out a challenge maybe isn't the most tactical of moves... Oh well.

Summary:

HP 72/72

AC21, FF21, Touch 10 (add 4 to all against the Queen)
    Saves: Fort +13, Ref +8, Will +14 (add 1 against Evil Outsiders)
    Resistance to Fire, Cold, Electricity 5
    Immune to Fear
    Immune to Disease
    Smite Evil: 2/3
    Lay on Hands: 10/10

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Aldrin, furious with rage, is about to unleash his magical powers at the treacherous monarch, when he realizes they are in for quite the fight with her superior backup. He turns to her bodyguard, the woman who didn't register as being under any enchantment, and speaks, hoping that she, unlike the Grey Maidens, can be persuaded to leave.

Or he could just use magic.

"You! Why do you defend this murderous Queen? You should know by now what evils she's capable of. I suggest you leave at once."

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Suggestion on the Queen's bodyguard. Will DC: 20. Unfortunately, it's a compulsion, not a charm as my bloodline gives me a bonus to the latter. Shame that compulsions outnumber charms by at least 5:1

HP: 60/60
    F: +5, R: +5, W: +6 (Jensi can take the +2 resistance cloak)

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dresane grins darkly as her companions prove to be of the same mind as herself. She fixes her eyes on Togomor. The Seneschal and his minions had been her quarry even before this. Now, by Asmodeus, he will pay. "Prepare for death, traitor. The Contract has been breached. Law itself undone at your hand. You are guilty and sentenced to death."

Spoiler
    Show
    Move action: draw bow.
    Swift action: activate Judgement (for bonus to hit).
    Standard: Rapid shot on Togomor.

Attack 1: (1d20+13)[15]. Damage (1d8+4)[10]+(1d6)[4]
    Attack 2: (1d20+13)[22]. Damage (1d8+4)[12]+(1d6)[2]

10. - Top - End - #10

"Ileosa, what you've done is... unforgivable!" Jensi yells over the chaos. "We know, and soon everybody will know! You caused the plague!" he accuses, pointing a finger at the Queen. To his surprise, a bolt of swirling rainbow light hurtles from his finger towards the tyrannical monarch.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not too many ways for Jensi to attack here, but he'll cast Shard of Chaos on the Queen, assuming she's Lawful [Evil]. Will Save DC 19 for half damage.

Ranged Touch Attack: (1d20+7)[14]
    Damage: (3d8)[17] (if the Queen is an outsider, it's 7d6 damage and slowed, but this is unlikely )
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Jensi Jiri in Curse of the Crimson Throne Parts I, II, III, and IV, and Zivian Thiel in The King's Men.

Show

11. - Top - End - #11

The party begins its attack. Dastan strides towards the Throne, calling out his challenge to the Queen, demanding that she surrender. At once, an uproar begins. The nobility are shouting, the guards are pushing through the crowd, and everyone is confused and stunned at the turn of events.

Aldrin's insidious spell fails to get a grip in the bodyguard's mind. Her brow furrowed, she draws a long, curved blade, two handed and deadly-looking. "I defend her because she is not evil. You challenge her rule in her own throne room, having received her favour. Look to yourself if you seek evil."

Dresane's arrows punch into Togomor, his hidden magical defences not nearly enough to deflect the arrows. The heavy-set Seneschal grunts in pain, blood trickling down the front of his opulent robes.

The Queen herself proves more capable of defending herself. Jensi's rebellious bolt of chaos magic spins towards her, but she sidesteps it, scoffing. "The traitors emerge," she calls, her voice clear and dangerous; "and they will fall."

Atavian casts his favoured spell over the party, hastening their attacks. Tallox, meanwhile, charges at Togomor. His attacks uniformly rip into the Seneschal, leaving him bloodied and battered.

Rennard leaps forward, conjuring up a host of illusionary swordsmen, all formed as he is, lunging at Queen Ileosa. Reve strikes the Queen, but seems to slide off her skin more than puncture it.

Some of Korvosa's nobility, meanwhile, are shouting their support. Some are even drawing out thinblades and longswords, engaging the Grey Maidens as the armoured women rush to defend their liege. Others are loudly declaring themselves for the Queen, while others still are retreating altogether. The room is utter chaos. You catch a glimpse of a Grey Maiden cutting down a finely dressed, bearded nobleman, then Archbanker Tuttle crying for all parties to cease, to no avail. Mother Dawnseeker rushes towards a fallen woman. A silver-haired nobleman in a fine black waistcoat is standing on the sidelines, his face impassive. And then there is Kroft. The Field Marshal looks helplessly around for a moment, then steels herself, her eyes filling with determined anger. In a swift motion, her sword is drawn, the blade clashing with a Grey Maiden's sword.

Togomor's vast bulk is lifted into the air, the powerful wizard flying upwards and away from Tallox, suffering one of the beyonder's bites in order to escape the creature's reach. As he ascends, he rains down a frigid swathe of frost on Tallox. The beyonder simply cannot stand up to the punishment. Without Atavian, who himself is seriously injured to absorb some of the damage, the eidolon would not have survived.

Spoiler
    Show
    69 damage total. Split half and half between Atavian and Tallox.
    Tallox HP=23. Atavian HP=35.

Dresane suffers the wizard's wrath as well. A lightning fast gesture from a meaty hand sends five silvery darts jetting towards Dresane.

Spoiler
    Show
    16 damage to Dresane.

"Zentava, kill the paladin," Ileosa orders of her bodyguard. The woman, Zentava, in her ornate grey armour, meets Dastan, blade in hand. Her attack is expertly performed, and the razor-sharp sword scythes hard into Dastan's side.

Spoiler
    Show
    30 damage to Dastan.

"Deal with this," Ileosa continues to her favoured servants. "I will not be seen fighting with insignificant rebels." The Queen and her pale green dress vanish in a flash of red light.

Round 2

Spoiler
    Show
    Unfortunately, I don't have time now to make a map. Basically, you're fighting Togomor and Zentava. Assume that the rest of the battle is raging on around you.

Games stuff:

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Two spells that quickly? I'm not even sure father could do that...

As the Queen retreats to somewhere unknown, Aldrin furiously turns to the bloated mage instead, following Togomor's movements with with outstretched arm, slowly being enveloped in fire. He begins to chant:

"Feel the flames of Avernus lick at your form, fueled by flesh, undying radiance consuming all. Burn for me."

The flame is released, and bursts into an explosion of hellfire as it approaches the Seneschal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Hellfire, since I assume I rolled high enough in Rennard's place on the crafting check for Aldrin's new robes.

(11d6)[38] damage, and sickened if he's good (which we know isn't true). Reflex save is 21 for half. Hopefully he's not immune to fire.
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2012-07-18 at 07:32 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Dastan jabs his lance of holy energy at the bodyguard as she charges at him, then dances away with remarkable agility the moment her weapon strikes him. He grunts in pain momentarily, but as usual his wounds begin to glow with divine power and start closing almost immediately as he focuses his attention on them for a split second. "I challenge her rule because it is unjust. You think we would do this without strong proof? She started the plague!" He shouts at her as he lashes out repeatedly with the light spear. "If you value the lives of these people, stand down!"

Spoiler
    Show

AOO from the last round:
    Attack: (1d20+13)[31]
    Damage: (1d8+7)[11] (add 2d6 if she actually is evil, even though I'm pretty sure she isn't)

Activating Lay on Hands as a Swift action, then taking a five foot step back and using Full Attack with Haste, taking advantage of the Reach weapon. Using Power Attack this time, since hopefully with the charge and all her AC won't be super high...

Attack 1: (1d20+11)[29]
    Damage 1: (1d8+13)[19]
    Attack 2: (1d20+11)[25]
    Damage 2: (1d8+13)[15]
    Attack 3: (1d20+6)[12]
    Damage 3: (1d8+13)[21]

Yeah, no Smite and no Holy makes Dastan kind of sad.

Lay on Hands: (4d6)[19]

HP 70/72

AC21, FF21, Touch 10 (add 4 to all against the Queen)
    Immune to Fear
    Immune to Disease
    Lay on Hands: 9/10

Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2012-07-21 at 12:22 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dresane roars her anger at Togomor. "Stand and receive justice! Fight, though your coward-queen has fled"

Spoiler
    Show
    Swift: activate Bane.
    Full attack at Togomor:
    1: (1d20+15)[33]. Damage (1d8+6)[10]+(3d6)[14]
    2: (1d20+15)[19]. Damage (1d8+6)[12]+(3d6)[10]
    3: (1d20+15)[21]. Damage (1d8+6)[8]+(3d6)[14]
    Last edited by Minerva; 2012-07-19 at 04:46 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15

"Stop," Jensi cries. "Stop hurting my friends! Stop hurting everyone! You have to stop! We have to stop you!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Channel Energy: (3d6)[8]
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Show

16. - Top - End - #16

Tallox and Rennard both move to attack the Queen's bodyguard, lunging with claws, fangs, and blade. Magical armour and martial skill ensure that their efforts are for naught. Similarly, Atavian's attempt to coat her in a sheen of glittering, blinding dust fails.

The Queen's bodyguard is a valiant warrior. She takes two of Dastan's blows without flinching, parrying the rest with her curved, two-handed blade. Then she goes on the offensive. Dastan manages to deflect one of her attacks of his magical plate, but the other two get through. "You lie," she shouts at Dastan. "You have been deceived! Her enemies wish her dead, and they play you for fools."

Spoiler
    Show
    37 damage to Dastan.

Dastan, Dresane
    Spoiler
    Show
    There's a hint of uncertainty in Zentava's voice.

The Seneschal is doubtlessly an immensely powerful wizard, but all his magical talent has not made him any more nimble than his girth suggests. Aldrin's hellfire thus catches him with all its fury. Airborne, Togomor is blasted forcefully downwards, but he recovers, rising again. But this does not last long. Dresane aims her bow, and delivers three devastating shots. The first punctures through the Seneschal's arm. The second pierces his fleshy chest through his opulent garments. And the final arrow flies at his throat. It strikes there, producing a bloody fountain as Togomor's hands clutch at the wound. Still flaming from Aldrin's infernal fire, he plummets downwards like a comet, crashing into the throne room's floor. If he yet lived, he certainly now does not.

Spoiler
    Show
    That was... unexpected. Congratulations, but the fight isn't over yet!

Below you, on the main hall's floor, a pitched battle now rages. Cries of shock and victory alike rise up as the Seneschal falls. You can see that your supporters, bolstered by the sight, have the upper hand. The Grey Maidens are falling one by one, many of them to a grimly-smiling Kroft.

The neutral parties - Tuttle, and several nobles - look on with expressions ranging from confusion to cunning smirks.

Round 3

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

Assume that most of the hall is the scene of the battle, even though the people fighting it aren't marked.

Edit: also, Ta is Tallox. I had Togomor labelled as T, but then he died and I didn't change Tallox back.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2012-07-21 at 05:46 PM.

Games stuff:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Seeing that the battle was nearly decisive at this point, Aldrin turns once again to Zentava, his eyes burning red with anger. He yells, "You are defeated! Stand down now so that your life may be spared. We have evidence of the Queen's wrongdoings, and if you want to be certain you aren't serving a murderous wretch, then submit now and see reason!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Not going to cast a spell this time.

Intimidate check if necesary: (1d20+16)[33]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Dastan simply ignores the injuries, grievous though they are, though at seeing doubt in his opponen't's eyes and hearing the uncertainty in her words he ceases his attacks and spins his luminous weapon in a rapid defensive form. When he speaks again, it is in a booming shout that resounds through the hall. "No. Trinia Sabor did not kill the King; who introduced the evidence that condemned her? Who stood to benefit? Whose enemies died in the attack on Lord Carowyn? Whose doctors begat the plague? Again and again, the Queen." And, without even thinking, or perhaps even realizing himself what he is saying, he asks one final question, this time in earnest. "What happened to her crown?"

Spoiler
    Show

Going for a non-lethal resolution.
    I know this technically doesn't work, but here's a diplomacy check for giggles: (1d20+18)[24]
    Also, the crown bit has been bugging me for a little while. It received a mention when we saw her at Davaulus' hideout, and it seemed to clash with Leviathan's avatar. So I looked up her picture, and searched for our first meeting. Sure enough, her proper crown has no fangs in it. That latest picture sealed the deal; she clearly has a new, very evil looking crown. Dastan's pretty observant, if not so well educated, so I figured he'd pick up on it eventually.

HP 72/72

AC25, FF21, Touch 14
    Immune to Fear
    Immune to Disease
    Lay on Hands: 8/10
    Last edited by DaedalusMkV; 2012-07-22 at 08:12 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

She allows herself a smile of satisfaction when her arrows take down Togomor. Nodding to Aldrin as a competent comrade in the undertaking, she trains her bow on the bodyguard. "Drop your weapon now," she barks. "If you are a friend of Korvosa, we are not your enemies."

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate or aid another on Aldrin's, whichever is more appropriate.

(1d20+12)[30]

20. - Top - End - #20

"Woah, Dresane and Aldrin, you got him!" Jensi cheers as the Seneschal is dispatched. "Shelyn help us so we can rid the city of all this evil!" he cries, as a blindingly bright pulse of white light issues through the throne room.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Quick Channel feat to use two uses of Channel Energy on everyone except Zentava and the nearest 6 Grey Maidens.

Channel Energy x2: (8d6)[27]
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Show

21. - Top - End - #21

"I..." Zentava falters. Though her sword is still held on guard, her attacks cease.

The throne room's violence is dying away now. The Grey Maidens are fighting to the last, but they are outnumbered and cut down. The nobility of Korvosa who yet remain alive are now in fast retreat. Friend and foe alike, they flee, rushing from the throne room, presumably none too eager to be caught here when reinforcements doubtlessly arrive.

Zentava closes her eyes for a brief, decisive instant. "Show me your evidence," she says, her face hard, and yet her brown eyes moist, as though she might cry.

You note that, around you, a few figures yet remain, now that most have fled. Tuttle is stammering, looking around at the carnage. "By Abadar, what am I to do? This is a monstrous mess! I am sorry," he says reluctantly, "but my presence makes me guilty. Goodbye." He casts his eyes around surreptitiously. "And good luck." With that said, the Archbanker begins to head to the door.

Kroft comes up behind you, wiping blood of her blade. "That was stupid. That was the dumbest thing I've ever done. But I'll be damned if it didn't feel good." The Field Marshal looks Zentava up and down. "Coming quietly, is she?"

Mother Dawnseeker kneels over the wounded of the fight, noble and Grey Maiden alike.

The only other person who remains is the silver-haired nobleman who you have seen previously. He has a straight nose and yellow-green eyes. He wears a black coat that falls to his knees. He says nothing, but simply watches, leaning against a pillar as though he is bearing witness to something mundane rather than the aftermath of attempted regicide.

Games stuff:

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Dastan glances around the room, scanning for any more foes, before releasing his grip on his luminous spear. Absent his controlling touch, the weapon dissipates into harmless light. Quickly he begins unwinding the Peace Bond from his sword, preparing in case he'll need to go armed again. "I do not have it with me. Field Marshal, do you have the letter?" The pauses for a moment, then smirks in self-depreciation. "Of course not, that would be foolhardy. Regardless, you will be allowed to see all we have. Much of it is circumstantial, but the most important element is a handwritten letter to the leader of the Urgathoans who created the plague... Still, I imagine you must have seen much of the Queen's actions yourself, as she seemed to keep you at her side. And perhaps think on why she left you to fight us alone." Finally, his sword is freed and he leaves the metal wire in a heap on the ground. "We have no time for dallying. Ileosa will be marshalling her followers for a counterattack even now. Field Marshal, can you contact the Sable Company soldiers? Rennard, do you know where your Maestro would be? He seemed to have a number of contacts within the city. We need to gather our allies, now, and take advantage of this opportunity or it will be all for nothing..."

He takes a few strides forwards, then finally asks Zentava one question. "Do you know what force protected the Queen? Commander Endren's shot was flawless; she should be lying dead on the floor, yet she escaped with naught but a scrape. Only powerful magic could accomplish that."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dresane leaves the talking to Dastan, for once. The peace with the bodyguard was probably precarious, and Dresane knows she isn't the best with niceties.

Instead, she rounds on the mysterious nobleman watching everything. Glaring at him, she folds her arms across her chest. "Who are you?" she demands bluntly. "Speak quickly; I demand answers."

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect lies!

24. - Top - End - #24

"The Queen's power... I do not know. I was unaware of much of it, until now. She spent much time with Togomor, in study, but... her crown gives her strength. I know it. It is... potent. Difficult to describe." Zentava's eyes take on an almost glassy quality as she speaks. "I do not have much time; show me your evidence quickly."

Kroft replies to Dastan's questions. "If Sable Company hasn't already been arrested, I can contact them. But I think we have more pressing matters at hand. I also received a missive from Vencarlo Orisini before all this, but that too can wait."

Meanwhile, the nobleman bows before Dresane, though the gesture has a mocking quality to it. "My name, dear lady, is Glorio Arkona. I am most pleased to make your acquaintance. Though truth be told, I had hoped it would be under less drastic circumstances."

Games stuff:

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

"I keep the letter on me, Dastan," Aldrin notes, pulling it out from the bottom of his bag. It is slightly wrinkled, but still perfectly legible. "I figured on my person is the safest place for it." He hands it to Zentava, then turns his attention to the smirking nobleman.

"Arkona. Your surname is relatively known in Korvosa. Why haven't you left? Is there something you needed from us, because we're actually a bit occupied at the moment, believe it or not."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dresane scowls at Glorio Arkona. She doesn't like the look of him, and makes that readily apparent from the way her arms fold across her chest. "I'm sure. What do you want?" she asks, far more bluntly than Aldrin's remarks.

27. - Top - End - #27

The bodyguard takes the letter, reading it slowly through dulled eyes.

"I simply wished to offer you my regards," Glorio Arkona says. "But I also can provide you with a means of escape. Our goals coincide, you see, though your methods are less than subtle. I have considerable magic at my disposal. I was perhaps even the equal of your late father, Lord Cress," he directs at Aldrin.

Zentava, meanwhile, puts down the letter, handing it mechanically back to Aldrin. "I... believe you... It is her hand that writes it." She stops, suddenly, frozen in place. Her mouth twitches, and her eyes, as though she is in great pain. "You must go, now," she warns, her voice urgent.

Games stuff:

28. - Top - End - #28

"Why?" Atavian asks hurriedly as he backs away slightly. "Are you losing... control?" he asked nervously, thoughts racing, the signs had been there for others, a form of mental domination or... maybe something more. Did she know? Yet... she seemed to be in control a moment before...
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2012-07-26 at 05:47 PM.
    DM: Serpent's Skull IC | OOC

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Dastan looks confused at Kroft's statement, and even more so by Zentava's. "What do you mean? We have the advantage now, but only if we go on the offense immediately. Sable Company represents one of the strongest military forces in the city, and with the Seneschal dead I do believe that their new leader has the authority to indict the Queen. We need to secure the castle and capture her, before she has time to regroup and gather more allies from the Assassins and cults." He looks around the room at the slain nobles and Grey Maidens, then at Commander Endrin's corpse. "What else could be more important?"

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

"Our lives," answers Aldrin quietly. "The Sable company didn't see what the Queen did. Cressida would normally choose the successor, but in this "time of crisis" that duty apparently falls to the Queen. We are in her domain now, likely trapped, with possible backup on the way. We just attempted regicide, and I don't know if the people are going to consider this justified, not having seen what just occured. We may still have a shot at taking the offensive, but we need to re-group first."