New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard IC: Renaissance City

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    "Well, I was thinking about a cleaning regimen Moros-style. Whip up a ritual with Death and Matter to get some of the general slime and muck to decay away, hopefully without bringing the rest of the place down on our heads. On top of that, maybe getting a little more abstract and pushing away some of the resonance of Death and general nastiness - at least long enough for us to run this Thanksgiving shindig." Turing laid out his plans as they ambled toward the hardware store. "What I want to know is whether there's a chance in Hell of this working, and whether or not we've got time to try it in your considered opinion?"
    [There is absolutely a chance of it working. It's too messed up for you to completely restore in the time you have but you can make a good showing.

Incidentally, you should think about if it's more beneficial to your cause to deal with the physical garbage or to mess with the place's intangible Resonance instead.]

2. - Top - End - #782
    Troll in the Playground

Once the cleaning supplies had been divvied up and he and Amun had gotten started on the effort of making the kitchen less of a cesspit, Turing laid out his thoughts on a magical approach.

"Well, Dominic here agrees that magic will probably help us make this place look more like something semi-human. The big question if we use it is whether to focus on the muck itself, or try and actually push back the creepy feelings of this place." Turing grimaced as he shoveled trash into a huge black plastic bag. "If you ask me, I think getting a little abstract might save us some cleaning and since we've got a schedule, that's a very good thing.”
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

3. - Top - End - #783
    Titan in the Playground

As Turing is contemplating his ritual, Tessen and Jack arrive back from the hardware store, loaded down with cleaning supplies. As they come in, she shouts to the building "Turing, Amun, we're back and we brought a bunch of equipment and cleaners."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

"Welcome back," Amun called back. "Well, bring it in. We got a bunch of stuff too, but I bet more can't hurt in this place."

He turned back to Turing and looked around. "Probably the only thing I personally can do about the muck is lots of fire, so I am not in the least opposed to meddling with the resonances of this place." He scratched his cheek with the end of the broom he was holding. "Yes, I might be able to do something there."

[Meddling with the feeling of the place and such would be a good job for Prime, right? Resonances and stuff, exactly the kind of stuff Amun should be doing ... I'm ashamed to not have thought of it myself ]

5. - Top - End - #785

[Resonances can indeed be meddled with using Prime. You can also use Death - Death can be applied to anything - but Death is a rather one way process.

Okay, here's how this is going to work:

- For the setup for the dinner, everyone gets to do one major thing - be that a piece of ritual magic, mundane cooking, cleaning, whatever. Attach a roll to support. If a ritual is involved, you've got a maximum of 3 rolls (9 hours) before the final event, so judge with that kind of timeframe. Cleaning is Stamina+Crafts?/Athletics? . There's a +3 equipment bonus on cleaning/repair due to the shopping trip.]

6. - Top - End - #786
    Titan in the Playground

[What would be an appropriate roll for Tessen to restore power to the oven and stove and start cooking (presumably with another quick trip to a nearby grocery store)?]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

7. - Top - End - #787

[What would be an appropriate roll for Tessen to restore power to the oven and stove and start cooking (presumably with another quick trip to a nearby grocery store)?]
    [Cooking is normally Crafts but in this situation I'll allow Intelligence+Occult]

8. - Top - End - #788
    Titan in the Playground

Tessen takes the wire and some clippers, finds the nearest power supply or electrical pole and gets to work getting power restored to at least a section of the building. After cleaning out the stove and oven with a bunch of disinfectant, she then goes to the store and buys groceries, coming back with a whole bunch of food in preparation for a homemade thanksgiving dinner. Mom would be so proud, she thinks to herself as she begins cooking.

Recipes

Roast Turkey
    Spoiler
    Show

1 turkey, approx. 10 lbs.
    Juice of a lemon
    Salt and pepper
    Olive oil or melted butter
    1/2 yellow onion, peeled and quartered
    Tops and bottoms of a bunch of celery
    2 carrots
    Parsley
    Sprigs of fresh rosemary, thyme

1 To start, if the turkey has been refrigerated, bring it to room temperature before cooking. Keep it in its plastic wrapping until you are ready to cook it. While in the refrigerator, and or while you are bringing it to room temp, have the bird resting in a pan, so that if the plastic covering leaks for any reason, you are confining the juices to the pan. If you get a frozen turkey, you will need to defrost it in the refrigerator for several days first. Allow approximately 5 hours of defrosting for every pound. So, if you have a 15 pound turkey, it will take about 75 hours to defrost it in the refrigerator, or around 3 days. Magic used here to speed up the defrost process to less than an hour.

Handle a raw turkey with the same amount of caution as when you handle raw chicken - use a separate cutting board and utensils to avoid contaminating other foods. Wash you hands with soap before touching anything else in the kitchen. Use paper towels to clean up.

Remove the neck and giblets (heart, gizzard, liver). Use the heart and gizzard for making stock for the stuffing. The neck can be cooked along side the turkey or saved for turkey soup. Or all of the giblets can be used for making giblet gravy.

Note that if your turkey comes with a plastic piece holding the legs together, check the instructions on the turkey's package. Most likely you do not need to remove those plastic ties for cooking (unless you plan to cook your turkey at a very high temperature). If you remove the plastic ties, you will need to use kitchen string to tie the legs together.

2 Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

3 Wash out the turkey with water. Pull out any remaining feather stubs in the turkey skin. Pat the turkey dry with paper towels. Lather the inside of the cavity with the juice of half a lemon. Take a small handful of salt and rub all over the inside of the turkey.

4 In this method of cooking a turkey, we don't make the stuffing in the turkey because doing so adds too much to the cooking time. For flavor, put in inside the turkey a half a yellow onion, peeled and quartered, a bunch of parsley, a couple of carrots, and some tops and bottoms of celery. You may need to cap the body cavity with some aluminum foil so that the stuffing doesn't easily fall out. Close up the turkey cavity with either string (not nylon string!) or metal skewers. Make sure that the turkey's legs are tied together, held close to the body, and tie a string around the turkey body to hold the wings in close.

The neck cavity can be stuffed with parsley and tied closed with thin skewers and string.

5 Rub either melted butter or olive oil all over the outside of the turkey. Sprinkle salt generously all over the outside of the turkey (or have had it soaking in salt-water brine before starting this process). Sprinkle pepper over the turkey.

6 Place turkey BREAST DOWN on the bottom of a rack over a sturdy roasting pan big enough to catch all the drippings. This is the main difference between the way mom makes turkey and everyone else. Cooking the turkey breast down means the skin over the breast will not get so brown. However, all of the juices from the cooking turkey will fall down into the breast while cooking. And the resulting bird will have the most succulent turkey breast imaginable.

Add several sprigs of fresh (if possible) thyme and rosemary to the outside of the turkey.

7 Chop up the turkey giblets (gizzard, heart). Put into a small saucepan, cover with water, add salt. Bring to simmer for an hour or so to help make stock for the stuffing (see stuffing recipe).

8 Put the turkey in the oven. Check the cooking directions on the turkey packaging. Gourmet turkeys often don't take as long to cook. The recommended cooking time is about 15 minutes for every pound. For the 10 lb turkey, start the cooking at 400 F for the first 1/2 hour. Then reduce the heat to 350 F for the next hour. Then reduce the heat further to 225 F for the next hour to hour and a half.

If you want the breast to be browned as well, you can turn the bird over so that the breast is on top, and put it in a 500°F oven or under the broiler for 4-5 minutes, just enough to brown the breast. Note that if you do this, you will have a higher risk of overcooking the turkey breast.

Start taking temperature readings with a meat thermometer, inserted deep into the thickest part of the turkey breast and thigh, an hour before the turkey should be done. You want a resulting temperature of 175°F for the dark meat (thighs and legs) and 165°F for the white meat (breast). The temperature of the bird will continue to rise once you take it out of the oven, so take it out when the temperature reading for the thigh is 170°F, and for the breast 160°F. If you don't have a meat thermometer, spear the breast with a knife. The turkey juices should be clear, not pink.

sliced roasted turkey

9 Once you remove the turkey from the oven, let it rest for 15-20 minutes. Turn the turkey breast side up to carve it

Tessen's Sweet Potatoes Delight
    Spoiler
    Show
    6-8 halves of cooked, sweet potatoes or yams
    ½ c. butter
    ½ c. sugar
    ½ c. sherry
    ¼ tsp nutmeg
    ¼ tsp cinnamon
    Shredded pineapple w. juice
    ¼ c. brown sugar
    1 c. chopped pecans

Cook yams until soft. Cool and peel.
    Cut into quarters and put into pyrex dish.

Make sauce with butter, sugar, sherry, nutmeg & cinnamon over low heat.
    Pour over yams.

Pour shredded pineapple with juice over yams.

Sprinkle with brown sugar.
    Sprinkle with pecans.

If wish, add 2-3 Tbsp. of brandy over mixture.
    Heat in medium oven until warm.

Serves 4 people.

Add in a whole bunch of cranberry sauce, some gravy, and some steamed carrots and we have the whole dinner.

[What's the modifier for the final roll?]
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

9. - Top - End - #789

[+3 for equipment, +2 for other situational stuff]

10. - Top - End - #790
    Titan in the Playground

Thanksgiving dinner: (13d10)[7][7][1][5][1][8][2][3][4][9][6][2][3](58)
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

11. - Top - End - #791
    Titan in the Playground

Amun spent a moment writing a list for Tessen of things to get while she was out shopping anyway. A few decorative pumpkins and fruit, some candles, tablecloth, a few plates, glasses, knives, forks, and napkins. He tried to keep it to the basics and fairly simple, both because Amun was a simple man who didn't like extravagance, but also because he figured the event ought to give the impression of a simple, all-American family and not some big-wig royal display of wealth and opulence.

While she was out shopping, he himself went out hunting for decorative pine cones, autumn leaves and flowers, maybe some pheasant feathers to instill that seasonal atmosphere. It was probably limited what he could find in the "wild" in the middle of Detroit, but if anyone knew where to look, Amun was sure he was the one. If all else failed, he could probably find a shop selling it as hobby materials for overprice, and grudgingly settle for that.

[Should I make a roll of some kind for this, or can I assume he gets his materials one way or another? Leaves should probably be easy to find even in Detroit, pine cones and pheasant feathers maybe not so much, although perhaps his affinity with cats could help with the feathers, and of course he would probably use a bit of Fate to help him along as well]

Once satisfied that he had done what he could, Amun set about setting up the tent and decorating to mask the decay and instill the right Thanksgiving atmosphere and seasonal spirit. Each plate had a napkin and an autumn-colored leaf, utensils on the side and glasses sparkling in the light of the candles. Along the middle of the table he arranged the rest of the decorations; pumpkins, apples, candles and various autumn materials.

While some of it was mundane enough, it all worked together, all the little details coming together to instill a feeling as he worked the resonances of the setting.

[I just roll Gnosis+Prime three times total and spend a point of Mana? Anything else apply?]

12. - Top - End - #792
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    He turned back to Turing and looked around. "Probably the only thing I personally can do about the muck is lots of fire, so I am not in the least opposed to meddling with the resonances of this place." He scratched his cheek with the end of the broom he was holding. "Yes, I might be able to do something there."
    "Well, my alternative is to try and metaphysically kill anything that doesn't have the right mood, so I think some Prime feng shui might be in order. Meanwhile, I'll bring my more mundane talents to bear." Turing took another good look around as he unbuttoned the sleeves of his salmon-pink shirt and rolled them up.

"Why can't the Abyss ever manifest in five-star hotels with a wet bar?"

[Turing will go for physical cleaning, which I'm understanding to be Strenth + Stamina + 3 for tools? Is it also possible to spend Willpower?]
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-10-08 at 07:49 PM.

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #793

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    [Should I make a roll of some kind for this, or can I assume he gets his materials one way or another? Leaves should probably be easy to find even in Detroit, pine cones and pheasant feathers maybe not so much, although perhaps his affinity with cats could help with the feathers, and of course he would probably use a bit of Fate to help him along as well]

[I just roll Gnosis+Prime three times total and spend a point of Mana? Anything else apply?]
    [You can get the materials, no problem. Getting materials awesome enough to grant an equipment bonus on a spellcasting roll is actually really hard - you need, for instance, a noose used to hang a spy to gain a bonus on a Death spell.

To a degree, though, the shopping itself can be part of the ritual, and why it takes three hours per roll. Going through store after store, picking up and looking for the right things, taking them back, arranging them, seeing it's not quite perfect and going shopping again.

Gnosis+Prime three times is correct. EDIT: Actually a +2 bonus to each roll is applicable. Also remember you can use High Speech.]

[Turing will go for physical cleaning, which I'm understanding to be Strenth + Stamina + 3 for tools? Is it also possible to spend Willpower?]
    [Yes and yes]
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-10-09 at 01:11 AM.

14. - Top - End - #794
    Troll in the Playground

[Ok, gonna try the forum roller this time, as my personal dice have apparently have a grudge lately. Dice pool is easy because everything is +3 and I'm spending Willpower, so 12. I'll describe once I have some good ideas and know the results. Big Money, No Brainworms!]

(12d10)[4][3][6][1][10][10][2][4][4][4][8][10](66)

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #795
    Troll in the Playground

[And although I like the 10s, they sure are inconvenient >.>

Anyway, rolling 10(s) again gave: 3, 9, 7 for one additional success]

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #796
    Titan in the Playground

[Gnosis+Prime+2 = 6

Adding High Speech for +2 on the first roll, and spending a point of Willpower for +3 on the third roll. Lots of strange utterances during the actual dinner might hurt the atmosphere, and like a runner pacing for the final sprint he'd save his energy for when it really counts. Mechanically I suppose it doesn't matter, of course, but that's my reasoning.

1st (pool 8): 8, 8, 2, 6, 1, 5, 3, 2
    2nd (pool 6): 2, 8, 2, 8, 6, 2
    3rd (pool 9): 2, 4, 5, 2, 10, 7, 8, 5, 3, ten again 7

6 successes, apparently my die really liked 2s today

1 Mana spent, since it's improvised and not a Ruling Arcana. He sure is going to need a serious replenishing at some point.]

17. - Top - End - #797
    Troll in the Playground

Turing managed to locate a set of gloves in the small mountain of cleaning supplies that occupied the kitchen hallway, and once armed with some measure of protection from the less-identifiable parts of the mess, he began to clean with a will.

Bag after black plastic bag was filled up with the unsalvageable dregs of ancient food and waste that littered the floor, to be dumped outside or in another room far out of sight. Then came the sweeping, dusting and scrubbing of the walls and floor, along with the bits of furniture that they were able to save. When the more obvious mounds of trash had been dealt with, Turing began to shift rotten boards to try and even out the floor and scraped, hid or beat odds and ends into place.

When he finally snapped off the gloves and took a breather the place was still a hellhole, but it was starting to look like a first-world hellhole at least.

Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #798
    Titan in the Playground

[Mental Block is almost as horrible as Brainworms. Screw it, I'mma do something outside the box and hope for the best as I'm honestly not sure that Jack has what it takes to do much to help with the existing plans. So short of me-tooing on the food prep, here's what happens]

Jack was impressed. The others fell into line, cooking, cleaning, wrestling the spiritual resonance of the place into more appropriate shapes. For a minute or two, Jack felt very much like the fifth wheel of the group, unsure of what task to pitch in on and all to aware of the competency of the three.

Then it struck him. What he did have was a pretty good feel for how this kind of thing was supposed to go. This wasn't just Thanksgiving, this was their very own Thanksgiving special.

And a Thanksgiving special just wasn't complete without everybody learning a little bit more about themselves and each other. Jack would set the mood.

He pitched in with the others, helping here and there. Cleaning the kitchen whilst Tessen rewired it, shifting the many bags of trash as Turing filled them and so on, but mostly he did what he could to keep the mood light and introspective. He shared amusing anecdotes of his time in school, like that time when he was caught sneaking off to meet up with a girl two grades above him on a promise of a sneaky kiss behind the bike sheds, or the time when he was convinced he'd found his soulmate in the first week at college only to catch her coming out of his roommates bedroom the next morning.

"It hurt like the end of the world at the time of course. Thing is, I went out, got blinding drunk and woke up the next day in some strange guy's bed. They say you go to University to learn about yourself, can't say I didn't. You ever been in love, Tessen? Turing? Amun?"

[Which is to say, Clumsy and probably misguided attempt to shape the whole thing into an extended conversation with a more Thanksgiving special mood, sharing amusing and meaningful events from his pre-awakening life (with names filed off to protect those involved, naturally) and get the others to respond in kind. I have no idea what dice this would involve, but one of the three social stats + Empathy or Persuasion would probably make it more helpful than the alternatives.
    Assuming Thanqol's take on the final dice-pool isn't so small as to make it pointless, I'll probably spend willpower on this.]

19. - Top - End - #799

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    [Which is to say, Clumsy and probably misguided attempt to shape the whole thing into an extended conversation with a more Thanksgiving special mood, sharing amusing and meaningful events from his pre-awakening life (with names filed off to protect those involved, naturally) and get the others to respond in kind. I have no idea what dice this would involve, but one of the three social stats + Empathy or Persuasion would probably make it more helpful than the alternatives.
    Assuming Thanqol's take on the final dice-pool isn't so small as to make it pointless, I'll probably spend willpower on this.]
    [Entirely appropriate, +1 to Manipulation+Empathy or Expression.]

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

[Manipulation/Empathy +1 and +3 from willpower, right? That'd be a pool of 11. I'm assuming a single roll and that Amun's Three were because of it being specifically magic casting
    2 - 8 - 4 - 7 - 2 - 4 - 4 - 9 - 8 - 3 - 2 (Avg: 4.81818181818)
    So three successes.]

Jack's nervousness dissipated as they talked, the situation starting to feel a little more like they were actually settling down for Thanksgiving.

21. - Top - End - #801
    Troll in the Playground

"Love? Well, I managed to make it as far as lust a few times. Always too busy for real love though, what with work and my crazy-ass family, and then Baron Samedi knocking at my door." Turing shook his head while pushing a broom around the kitchen.

"Only girl I love these days is my niece," his expression briefly clouded, "haven't seen her in a while though."

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #802
    Titan in the Playground

Tessen laughs at Jack's story and blushes profusely when he starts talking about winding up in bed.

"Oh, I don't think I've ever really loved anyone. I had a boyfriend in college, and we held hands and kissed a few times, but I knew it wasn't going to work long-term. He wasn't really serious, and he didn't want to follow me when I came to teach."

Tessen sighs, wistfully. "I'm really thankful I found you guys. I would have gone crazy being alone in this city."

"Only girl I love these days is my niece," his expression briefly clouded, "haven't seen her in a while though."
    "Oh, you should call her, Turing. I'm sure she'd be happy to hear from you, especially with the holiday season coming up."
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-10-09 at 11:50 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

23. - Top - End - #803

[Totals:

Tessen: 2
    Turing: 5 - Exceptional! Big money, no whammy pays off.
    Amun: 6 on a ritual
    Jack: 3

16 total successes

You're 4 off the difficulty of 20, so there's a -4 on this next roll. What you're rolling is the sum of everyone's gnosis, so 5.

5-4=1. Therefore, one dice total.

However, you can spend additional mana for +1 dice/mana, and you can spend as much mana as you want.

A regular success deals with the problem. An exceptional success will have added benefits in permanently shattering the awful resonance of this house.

Everyone post with how much mana you're bidding and how you conduct the dinner itself. Then one person will be given the chance to make the final gnosis check]

24. - Top - End - #804
    Titan in the Playground

[Jack bids 5 6 Mana. Also calling not-it for the big dicerolling.]

"I'm not sure I've really celebrated Thanksgiving before". Jack mused out loud, helping Tessen serve the food. "Should we do that thing where we all share something we're thankful for?"

"I'll start. I've let people down before, done things I regret. I'd say that I'm most thankful for second chances. And for beautiful friends." Jack smiled.

Jack leaves Tessen and Turing to take the lead on anything to do with saying grace or starting the meal itself, seeing it as their territory. Once the eating starts, he'll eat lightly but constantly, taking bits of everything randomly and talking quietly and happily as he does.

25. - Top - End - #805
    Titan in the Playground

[Tessen bids 5 mana. Hopefully there will be some time tonight for everyone to refresh at our way bigger than Thanqol originally realized hallow.]

"I think that's a wonderful idea Jack. For me...um" Tessen suddenly seems very shy. "Well, I've been here a few years now, and for a while I thought this city was made no sense and there was nothing anyone could do it about it. But, well, I'm here and I found out that there are a lot of people around the city who really care about others, and who were willing to take me in. I think we all felt a sort of...connection to each other when we first met, and I'm deeply thankful that we all found each other and support each other in a way that brought us here to this moment."

--------
    After everyone else has had a turn, Tessen will take the lead on saying grace for the meal. She asks everyone to put their hands together and their heads lowered for a moment.

"Praised art Thou, Lord our God, for blessing us with these, Thy gifts and Thy bounty. Blessed art Thou, who reaches both the strong and the meek, in any home and any table. Through Christ, our Lord. Amen"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

26. - Top - End - #806
    Troll in the Playground

[Turing will contribute 3 mana to the pool, and if trouble appears a-Pattern-scouring we will go, I suppose]

"Oh, you should call her, Turing. I'm sure she'd be happy to hear from you, especially with the holiday season coming up."
    Turing's jaw tensed for a moment before he answered. "Yeah, I really should."

----------------------------------------

When the time came to offer thanks, Turing looked thoughtful. "Me? I guess I'm thankful..." for a moment, he considered trying to get away with something generic, but this was important. Abyss-level important.

"What I mean is that you're a weird bunch - especially you, Jack - but we've all sort of grown on each other. You're good people. An old bachelor like me is fooling himself if he starts talking about family, especially if he's already been dead once, but maybe I got a little bit more than I had any right to hope for, thanks to you all." It wasn't exactly eloquent, but it was surprisingly candid for Turing.

Then, as Tessen began to say grace, he obediently bowed his head and even folded his hands over one another.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #807
    Titan in the Playground

[Amun decides what the hay, let's throw 2 points in the pool and hope weather is good tomorrow]

Amun grinned as Jack told his little anecdotes. Amun loved anecdotes. "I suppose you could say I'm married to the street these days. She's a hard mistress, but the love is not something I would trade for anyone. I had a few crushes when I was young, of course, but that was never meant to be. Too many complications in my life, you know ... telling the Universe to behave, kicking Fate in the balls, it's all a lot simpler now."

As they got to being thankful, Amun took a moment to consider. He's thankful for a lot of little things, in general his life is pretty good in his own sort of way. "I am thankful for being here, it is where I want to be, and I could not ask for better company. Here I can be me and follow my heart, that is something very special and not a thing to be taken for granted."

As Tessen led the prayer, Amun followed, doing his part with the sort of formality one applies to something important. Amun knew the importance of taking rituals serious, even if in his mind any speech addressed to some high and mighty God ought to include a lot more angry fist shaking and less reverence.

28. - Top - End - #808

[6+5+3+2+1 - dice pool of 17

You guys ain't leaving this to chance, are you?

Someone take the roll!]

29. - Top - End - #809
    Titan in the Playground

[Since Tiki asked, cross your fingers.]
    (17d10)[1][8][7][2][9][8][10][6][7][7][4][8][2][1][3][7][1](91)

edit: rerolled 10 was a 10, then a 4.
    6 successes.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-10-11 at 12:56 PM.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

30. - Top - End - #810

It wasn't clear what the Mages were expecting - a thrashing blood demon and screaming wail as the manifestation was driven out, holy light and demonic fire, even some kind of event at all. None of that. Physically, nothing changed.

Magically, everything happened.

One does not throw around such a vast quantity of mana lightly. The air was full of Reality, forming an echo chamber, amplifying every single move they made and impressing it on the sheer raw potential of all the mana they had free-floating in the air. A single wrong move, misstep, even the wrong kind of swear could have left an indelible imprint on the magical potential they had amassed here.

And then, just as suddenly, the floodgate burst. Half the mana straight up vanished outright. The rest exploded outwards, pouring into the street and being swept away down the dragon lines; a momentary, brief flood of power. And with it, it seemed to alter the world.

Those sensitive to Time magic would notice something incomprehensible had just occurred - the very structure of the year had changed. After a moment of reflection, they could see it - each month on the Roman calendar was now exactly thirty days, and the year was now exactly 360 days long. There was no extra day in August, no lost day in February. It was just... different. Like it always had been that way. All watches and electronic devices they possessed had altered to reflect this new fact of reality. The only place where the old version existed was in their own heads.

Closing a Manifestation should not do that.

On the plate, the horrible un-words remained, but burned over the top of them, obscuring the majority of the writing, was the letter A. The thing was inert, empty; the magic or lack thereof in this place was gone.