New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard IC: Renaissance City

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    "A few thoughts... if Cyprus wanted you dead, you would be, so a trap is unlikely. This leaves two threats; that they are spies, or that they get caught. In case they are spies, do not tell them anything about the Pentacle that you can help. Do not discuss other cabals, their capabilities, or their areas of influence. A far more pressing danger is that they get caught while attempting to cross the tracks. The Seer in charge of this town is named Overlord. We don't know anything about him, and that should be a hint about how good he is. He runs a very, very tight ship."
    Tessen looks at Errant with an innocent, expectant expression, implying that this can't possibly be all the advice that Errant is giving.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Tessen looks at Errant with an innocent, expectant expression, implying that this can't possibly be all the advice that Errant is giving.
    Errant had paused for questions, but as none were forthcoming she continued. "The sword above the city we're aware of, but it's well outside the scope of our mission to deal with. The one who knows the most about it is, far and away, the Jerusalem Man. You'll need to speak to him if you want to find out more."

"As far as handling a defection goes, good luck, essentially. Since we know so little about the Seers each of those two is a treasure trove of information, with Mage attached. Keep in mind that defectors often expect a better life, complete safety or even a retirement as payment for their conversion and are very unlikely to do risky things. You'll need the Consilium for backup if the Seers decide to press the point. We'll have your back but there's not much direct support we can give"

"Oh, and something else... the Speakeasy Society say they've tracked down a Manifestation and they're asking around for help in destroying it. We can't help them, but I said I'd pass their request on."

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

"The Jerusalem man!?" Tessen practically shouts. "That can't be right. That thug is one dead bystander short of needing to be arrested himself. How can he be the one that knows about the sword of Damocles?!" *Tessen visibly shudders at the thought of having to deal with him.*
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

"I don't know, Tessen. Perhaps more than anyone else I've met, Jerusalem Man is part of Detroit. If Errant says he's an expert on the city's Sword of Damocles, then I can believe it." Jack interjected quietly.

"I can't speak for the rest of the gang, but if the Speakeasy need a hand I'd be more than willing to pitch in however I can. Did they pass on any information on what they found?" Jack looked thoughtful for a moment, weighing up whether to ask a further question, before he tentatively continued.

"If you don't mind me asking, Errant, I was wondering about something. The thing with the church. You got to us fast enough that it was like you saw it coming. Chances are, there are other people you could have asked and I'm sure you'd have been able to handle the situation yourselves if it came to it." Jack paused, looking over Edelachtbare as if measuring his reach, before returning his questioning gaze to Errant.

"So I have to ask; Would you like to go out for a meal sometime?"
    Last edited by Tiki Snakes; 2012-08-06 at 01:31 PM.

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

When Jack mentions the manifestation and the Speakeasy Society, Tessen begins to say "Oh of course." However, she is interrupted by her mouth hanging open at Jack's final question.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

Turing smiled as Errant laid out their possible courses of action; his own thoughts had been along the same lines and for the moment he felt like he might actually be learning something about being a Guardian.

His good mood lasted right up until the Jerusalem Man’s name was mentioned. At the news that a street thug knew more about their prophet’s vision than his own contacts, Turing’s knuckles whitened around the handle of his cane. He wanted to join Tessen in outrage, but he managed to reign in the impulse by remembering he was still in the presence of his superior. Edelachtbare and his assault rifle didn’t hurt either.

Instead, Turing decided to focus on the parts of the conversation that didn’t gall him. “I think that our best course of action with regard to the Seers might be to offer them what sanctuary we can. As you said, they’re valuable resources, and to be honest, our cabal is in a much better position to keep from divulging important information, since we quite honestly don’t have as much of it as some of the other mages in the city. In fact, if the Seers are sincere, we stand to learn a great deal from them.”

He had been going to continue to assure Errant that he was always available to fight against the Abyss, but by that time his brain had processed Jack’s request and he temporarily lost the power of speech.
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

7. - Top - End - #337

"The Jerusalem man!?" Tessen practically shouts. "That can't be right. That thug is one dead bystander short of needing to be arrested himself. How can he be the one that knows about the sword of Damocles?!" *Tessen visibly shudders at the thought of having to deal with him.*
    "So who would be the 'right person' to know about the divine sword of judgement hanging over Detroit's head?" Errant said, clearly amused. "The Mirror Man?"

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    "I don't know, Tessen. Perhaps more than anyone else I've met, Jerusalem Man is part of Detroit. If Errant says he's an expert on the city's Sword of Damocles, then I can believe it." Jack interjected quietly.

"I can't speak for the rest of the gang, but if the Speakeasy need a hand I'd be more than willing to pitch in however I can. Did they pass on any information on what they found?" Jack looked thoughtful for a moment, weighing up whether to ask a further question, before he tentatively continued.
    "Something about a possessed museum. They're planning a move in around five days time."

"If you don't mind me asking, Errant, I was wondering about something. The thing with the church. You got to us fast enough that it was like you saw it coming. Chances are, there are other people you could have asked and I'm sure you'd have been able to handle the situation yourselves if it came to it." Jack paused, looking over Edelachtbare as if measuring his reach, before returning his questioning gaze to Errant.

"So I have to ask; Would you like to go out for a meal sometime?"
    Errant blinked, having started to formulate the answer to a very different question.

There was the unmistakable sense of pressure as Edelachtbare glared at Jack with multiple different vision spells up. The impression was very much like he'd asked a girl out in front of her dad.

"Yes," said Errant. "Where and when?"

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Instead, Turing decided to focus on the parts of the conversation that didn’t gall him. “I think that our best course of action with regard to the Seers might be to offer them what sanctuary we can. As you said, they’re valuable resources, and to be honest, our cabal is in a much better position to keep from divulging important information, since we quite honestly don’t have as much of it as some of the other mages in the city. In fact, if the Seers are sincere, we stand to learn a great deal from them.”

He had been going to continue to assure Errant that he was always available to fight against the Abyss, but by that time his brain had processed Jack’s request and he temporarily lost the power of speech.
    Errant nodded. "Just be prepared if the Seers attempt to close the breach. I have no doubt they will."

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

Amun listened. Amun liked to listen.

He shared his friends' discomfort at the thought of dealing with the Jerusalem Man, but if that was what had to be done, then ... was it really any worse than what they were already getting themselves into with the Seers?

Helping the Speakeasy sounded nicer, almost like a picnic compared to the rest, but he wasn't sure what it had to do with them. Of course if they had time, he wouldn't object at all. Helping others was a fine thing to do.

And then Jack put forward his little surprise question, and Amun blinked. Now that was something worth listening to, he thought. Amun liked that.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

Errant blinked, having started to formulate the answer to a very different question.

There was the unmistakable sense of pressure as Edelachtbare glared at Jack with multiple different vision spells up. The impression was very much like he'd asked a girl out in front of her dad.

"Yes," said Errant. "Where and when?"
    "In theory, whenever and wherever you like. I was thinking tomorrow afternoon or the day after we could try Wah Hoo on Shelby Street or Ronin over in Royal Oak if you don't mind travelling a bit further afield." Jack stayed relaxed, open and tried not to look directly at Edelachtbare.

10. - Top - End - #340

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    "In theory, whenever and wherever you like. I was thinking tomorrow afternoon or the day after we could try Wah Hoo on Shelby Street or Ronin over in Royal Oak if you don't mind travelling a bit further afield." Jack stayed relaxed, open and tried not to look directly at Edelachtbare.
    Edelachtbare was not-very-casually going through a check of his AK-47.

"Ronin sounds fine. It seems appropriate to leave it off a week because you are facing a rather packed few days," Errant said.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Troll in the Playground

Great. We’re going to survive the Seers to get killed by the Guardians.

The thought brought a wry smile to Turing’s lips, and some of the tension of the past day seemed to lift. The older man shrugged in an exaggerated motion; stretching out his shoulders and realizing how many knots were there.

“We’ll try our best to get ready for all comers. It’s going to be a long week.”

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #342

"Quite. Was there anything else you needed to ask or tell us?" Errant asked.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Troll in the Playground

“Actually, I was curious. I read the dossier on Cyprus, and so did the others, so we have some idea of what Tessen is going into, but I don’t really know that much about Slade. Does anyone know anything that might help me when we meet?”

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #344

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    “Actually, I was curious. I read the dossier on Cyprus, and so did the others, so we have some idea of what Tessen is going into, but I don’t really know that much about Slade. Does anyone know anything that might help me when we meet?”
    "Slade? Not familiar with that one. There are a few possibilities, but I don't want to say anything when I am not sure," said Errant.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

"So, I have to meet Cyprus alone, we need to go stop a manifestation, and then we need to go talk to the Jersualem Man, even though if the universe was fair you would be the one that knew what was going on instead of him.

I have a question. Do you have a good technique for dealing with stress?"
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

16. - Top - End - #346

"So, I have to meet Cyprus alone, we need to go stop a manifestation, and then we need to go talk to the Jersualem Man, even though if the universe was fair you would be the one that knew what was going on instead of him.
    "We don't care what's going on," Errant corrected. "People in this city constantly forget that. Your problems may mean a lot to you, but the Quiet's job is not to fix those problems. Our job is to make sure you're still alive to have them."

I have a question. Do you have a good technique for dealing with stress?"
    "Yes," said Errant. "Get a hobby which does not relate to magic or the supernatural in any way whatsoever."

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Amun was still quietly amused by Jack's little arrangement, and Edelachtbare's reaction. Amun hadn't been too worried, given Errant's own reaction to the request. It was almost a little sweet the way Edelachtbare protected her ... or maybe the blood loss earlier had left Amun a little light headed, possibly.

"Any advice on the Jerusalem Man?" Amun said, speaking for the first time.

18. - Top - End - #348

Quote Originally Posted by Deadly View Post
    Amun was still quietly amused by Jack's little arrangement, and Edelachtbare's reaction. Amun hadn't been too worried, given Errant's own reaction to the request. It was almost a little sweet the way Edelachtbare protected her ... or maybe the blood loss earlier had left Amun a little light headed, possibly.

"Any advice on the Jerusalem Man?" Amun said, speaking for the first time.
    "He is a man with vision," Errant said thoughtfully. "A rare quality, even amongst Mages. He's not the most powerful person in the city but by far the most likely one to meaningfully change it."

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

Amun considered that. Perhaps the rest of the gang colored his view of the Jerusalem Man, he had never had any real contact with the man, but you did hear things ... now he was getting curious, a possibly dangerous thing. Did this man really hold this kind of knowledge? "I see. Anything we should or shouldn't do or say if we meet him? I would hate to give a bad impression."

20. - Top - End - #350

"He is a difficult man to offend. He is ruled by neither malice, anger nor greed - or at least that is my impression of him. He's actually quite agreeable, which in itself is ominous because it makes it difficult to form a clear picture of what he wants."

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

"In a way, that is genuinely a bit comforting. Thank you," Amun said, feeling satisfied on this topic.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Edelachtbare was not-very-casually going through a check of his AK-47.

"Ronin sounds fine. It seems appropriate to leave it off a week because you are facing a rather packed few days," Errant said.
    "You're right, of course. A week this afternoon it is, then." Jack nodded in agreement, smiling slightly.

23. - Top - End - #353

"Very well. Is there anything else, or shall we leave you to it?" Errant said.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

"Um, not really. Thank you Errant, I know you must be very busy *glances at Edelachtbare and then immediately averts her eyes* and I appreciate you taking the time to come talk to us."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

25. - Top - End - #355

"Very well. Edelachtbare, please give Mr. Turing his lesson for the day."

The giant stepped forwards, reached out, and touched Turing's forehead with two fingers.

There was a flash inside Turing's mind. Words like fire wrote themselves on the insides of his eyelids. The after-image burned into his mind every time he blinked or closed his eyes. It was painful, but not unbearable.

ALL SOULS ARE FLAWED
    ALL THRONES ARE FALSE

The words would fade after a few hours, but some echo of their presence would always be there.

And with that, the Quiet walked away.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Troll in the Playground

Turing could understand the reluctance to speak in ignorance, especially where the Order was concerned. Still, that meant that he would have to play things by ear when the time came to talk with Slade. On the other hand, it also meant that he would be in a unique position to learn something about the Seer and his reasons for defecting... One was hardly a Guardian without a few secrets to one's name, after all.

The parting instruction from Edelachtbare was unpleasant, but left him curious, wondering if the subject would come up in their meetings with the defectors.
    Last edited by the_druid_droid; 2012-08-09 at 10:36 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

After the guardians walk away, Tessen sighs a bit, but then smiles when she gets to take out her new iPhone to make her first phone call. "Oh, these are so much fun. Now I just need to call..." *her smile fades and she sighs again* "Mirror Man and get some info about this abyss problem."

She finishes putting in the number and waits while the phone starts ringing.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

28. - Top - End - #358

After the guardians walk away, Tessen sighs a bit, but then smiles when she gets to take out her new iPhone to make her first phone call. "Oh, these are so much fun. Now I just need to call..." *her smile fades and she sighs again* "Mirror Man and get some info about this abyss problem."

She finishes putting in the number and waits while the phone starts ringing.
    The phone was picked up. There was a significant pause.

"... who is this?"

The Mirror Man's introduction was like an accusation.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

The phone was picked up. There was a significant pause.

"... who is this?"

The Mirror Man's introduction was like an accusation.
    Tessen sighs again, not much caring if the phone is picking it up or not. "It's Tessen. I'm calling about the problem you all needed help with."
    School Fox by Atlur

Quotes

30. - Top - End - #360

Tessen sighs again, not much caring if the phone is picking it up or not. "It's Tessen. I'm calling about the problem you all needed help with."
    "Tessen? Which problem? Because if it's the breakfast cereal related problem, oh-ho-ho," Mirror Man's chortle was unduly smug, "I took care of that!"