Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Skyscraper Graveyard IC: Renaissance City

Amun raised an eyebrow. Handsome? That was definitely a new one.

"Can't say I have." He gave the strange ... stranger a fascinated look. "Might I ask who you are, good sir?" There was usually a reason someone was looking for someone else. And often enough that reason gave the other man a good reason in turn to not want to be found.

deviantArt | FiMFiction | Twitter | Skype : athecoon
    Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Fedora View Post
    Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

"Victor," said the beautiful man, deftly juggling both coffee cups into one hand so he could offer his other to shake. "Well, if you see him, tell him for me his coffee's getting cold. I'd appreciate it."
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ettin in the Playground

[Need I roll anything to sense what's going on?]

"Amun," Amun said, shaking the hand. He looked around. "Sure, I'll let him know if I see him."

Deadly, a delightfully daring drawer and drafter of dissertations. Defying the dictations of our disparate denizens, Deadly decides his direction with a dirth of dependence on the decisions of despotic desperados. Deadly detests dismissive derision, and will debate any dude or dame that dares to detest discussion.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

[What do you think is going on? This guy seems legit so far]

"Great. Thanks," said Victor, walking over and sitting on the park bench vacated by the priest and setting the spare coffee down next to him. He slouched languidly, looking up at the skyscraper and whistling.
    To improve is to change

5. - Top - End - #185
    Titan in the Playground

Tessen shrugs and quickens her pace to match the priest's. "So, where are we going in such a hurry, sir?"
    Lawyer Pony Avatar by Dirtytabs, exalted as an Eclipse by Elemental, now with a fancy robe.

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Dulce Et Decorum Est Pro Anarion Mori?
    You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

[If you're seriously going to Pinkie Pie this guy until he gives up, what we're going to do is roll contested resolve to represent each half hour of walking. First one to fail the roll gives up first.]

The priest muttered something that sounded like "Away" and kept walking.
    To improve is to change

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    [What do you think is going on? This guy seems legit so far]

"Great. Thanks," said Victor, walking over and sitting on the park bench vacated by the priest and setting the spare coffee down next to him. He slouched languidly, looking up at the skyscraper and whistling.
    [Yeah, he does probably seem entirely legit to Amun. Some little detail might be off, though. Just asking because he definitely doesn't seem legit to me His exceptional looks also make him stand out]

Amun watched him, wondering if he should have asked if he could spare a coin. The man looked like the kind of person who wouldn't say no, but also like the kind of person whose coins came with a long and tiring tirade about the value of getting yourself a job. Amun decided he wasn't that desperate yet and turned around.

As he often did when wandering the city, Amun opened his mind to the many impressions that lay hidden to normal vision, looking at the flow of the city as he resumed his walk. There was often something new to find, a resonance here, a resonance there, fascinating things he hadn't noticed before on his walks or which hadn't been there last time he came by.

An impulse took him and he turned to look at the man again. How many people genuinely looked that good? Perhaps here was one of those interesting little things.

[Supernal vision.]

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

[If you're seriously going to Pinkie Pie this guy until he gives up, what we're going to do is roll contested resolve to represent each half hour of walking. First one to fail the roll gives up first.]

The priest muttered something that sounded like "Away" and kept walking.
    [Would it help if I RPed some of it? Because I can do a mean version of her Picklebarrel Kumquat bit only about organized religion and the existence of god. Tessen's resolve roll. (3d10)[3][2][1](6)]
    Lawyer Pony Avatar by Dirtytabs, exalted as an Eclipse by Elemental, now with a fancy robe.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

You just highlandered an entire city block into a glass-filled storm by road-runnering down it in your underwear.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

[He is Striking Looks 4 and wearing a tailored suit in downtown Detroit, that's plenty cause for suspicion]

There was a significant magical residue about Victor's body, a taste like coffee and chocolate and sweat. It felt Awakened, though there weren't any spells on him right now.
    To improve is to change

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    [Would it help if I RPed some of it? Because I can do a mean version of her Picklebarrel Kumquat bit only about organized religion and the existence of god. Tessen's resolve roll. [roll0]]
    [Sure, extra dice will be based on how annoying/detailed/lengthy/convincing your patter is]
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-07-23 at 07:10 AM.
    To improve is to change

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

[Sure, extra dice will be based on how annoying/detailed/lengthy/convincing your patter is]
    [You asked. I'm going to spoil this to avoid hurting everyone else's eyes.]

Spoiler
    Show
    "Well, sir, since you don't seem to want to talk to me, I hope you won't mind too much if I talk to you. Anyway, I studied a lot of literature in college, I really liked Hemmingway in particular. And he always seemed to me to have a particular image of god. I think you're a priest, so you would appreciate that kind of thing maybe, y'know? But anyway, Hemmingway had this image of people being able to find their own peace, particularly if they could get away from things, like all the chatter and noise of the city. He thought that if people could just find some peace and quiet, they would maybe be able to find god, or at least some sense of internal peace. And really, that's kind of what I think God is anyway. Because religion tells us that God helps those who help themselves, so it seems like going out and trying to find your own sense of peace and self would be the best way to find God anyway because that's helping yourself. But it seems to me that you're being kinda mean about this whole thing, not even talking to me. A priest is supposed to help people. They confess their sins, and then you help them redeem themselves by telling them what to do to get better and to receive forgiveness in god's eyes. That's kind of the whole thing with Catholicism anyway, right? That Jesus and Mary and all those saints kind of intercede with God to make him forgive us. It has to be something like that because I studied a bit of the bible and let me tell you, the old testament god was all smiting everything all over the place. He was like "Abraham, you better sacrifice your son or I'll smite you. Jacob, go wrestle with this angel or you'll get a smiting. Soddom and Gamora, oh man those are getting smited so hard. And Cain and Abel, although I guess Cain deserved it because he killed his brother, so if anybody was going to get a smiting it was going to be Cain. But then that wouldn't have happened if Adam and Eve hadn't been smote first, and that one was really stupid. I mean seriously, smiting people because they gained knowledge. I think that one's made up personally because gaining knowledge is all about the human soul. That's what I think anyway. That the soul comes to the mortal world and it tries to learn everything that it can and picks up on everything that's happening. Even though it kind of forgets what it is while it's inside most people, it's still learning everything, and then it ascends back up to heaven when someone dies and that lets heaven grow a little bit. What do you think happens to the soul, sir? I don't think the bible really talks about it. I mean, there's heaven and hell, but most of that is from Dante Alighieri, and his description of heaven is nothing but blinding light everyone. "Oh I was blinded by the light of my love, oh I saw an angel and the light blinded me. Frankly, with all the blindness, I think heaven sounds a bit worse than hell really. Well, except for the fire and the brimstone part. Although don't you think it's weird that everyone thinks hell is so fiery, but then in The Divine Comedy, Dante made out that the worst layer of hell was icy instead? And Satan was the coldest of all and Dante had to climb around Satan and through the frozen pools to get to purgatory. Of course, that's just a myth, but since it's the basis for most of the Christian afterlife, it seems kind of relevant. Personally though, I always liked the idea that the world was balanced on the back of a giant turtle. I heard a story once, that there was this scientist, an astronomer or something, and he was talking to a big crowd, telling them all about the big bang and the theories of the universe about whether it would contract or expand and everything. And there was this little old lady in the crowd and she raised her hand and interrupted the scientist. And she said to him "Sonny, I say sonny, that's a bunch of hoohaw. The world is balanced on the back of a giant turtle and that's all there is." And then the scientist, because he wanted to look smug and superior, y'know? Anyway, the scientist says to the woman, with this big smirk, he says "Well miss, what is the turtle on top of?" And then she put up her hand and wagged her finger at the scientist and she said, "Oh, you can't fool me sonny. You think you're so smart. But I'll tell you. It's turtles. Nothing but turtles all the way down."

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #192
    Titan in the Playground

[You asked. I'm going to spoil this to avoid hurting everyone else's eyes.]

Spoiler
    Show
    "Well, sir, since you don't seem to want to talk to me, I hope you won't mind too much if I talk to you. Anyway, I studied a lot of literature in college, I really liked Hemmingway in particular. And he always seemed to me to have a particular image of god. I think you're a priest, so you would appreciate that kind of thing maybe, y'know? But anyway, Hemmingway had this image of people being able to find their own peace, particularly if they could get away from things, like all the chatter and noise of the city. He thought that if people could just find some peace and quiet, they would maybe be able to find god, or at least some sense of internal peace. And really, that's kind of what I think God is anyway. Because religion tells us that God helps those who help themselves, so it seems like going out and trying to find your own sense of peace and self would be the best way to find God anyway because that's helping yourself. But it seems to me that you're being kinda mean about this whole thing, not even talking to me. A priest is supposed to help people. They confess their sins, and then you help them redeem themselves by telling them what to do to get better and to receive forgiveness in god's eyes. That's kind of the whole thing with Catholicism anyway, right? That Jesus and Mary and all those saints kind of intercede with God to make him forgive us. It has to be something like that because I studied a bit of the bible and let me tell you, the old testament god was all smiting everything all over the place. He was like "Abraham, you better sacrifice your son or I'll smite you. Jacob, go wrestle with this angel or you'll get a smiting. Soddom and Gamora, oh man those are getting smited so hard. And Cain and Abel, although I guess Cain deserved it because he killed his brother, so if anybody was going to get a smiting it was going to be Cain. But then that wouldn't have happened if Adam and Eve hadn't been smote first, and that one was really stupid. I mean seriously, smiting people because they gained knowledge. I think that one's made up personally because gaining knowledge is all about the human soul. That's what I think anyway. That the soul comes to the mortal world and it tries to learn everything that it can and picks up on everything that's happening. Even though it kind of forgets what it is while it's inside most people, it's still learning everything, and then it ascends back up to heaven when someone dies and that lets heaven grow a little bit. What do you think happens to the soul, sir? I don't think the bible really talks about it. I mean, there's heaven and hell, but most of that is from Dante Alighieri, and his description of heaven is nothing but blinding light everyone. "Oh I was blinded by the light of my love, oh I saw an angel and the light blinded me. Frankly, with all the blindness, I think heaven sounds a bit worse than hell really. Well, except for the fire and the brimstone part. Although don't you think it's weird that everyone thinks hell is so fiery, but then in The Divine Comedy, Dante made out that the worst layer of hell was icy instead? And Satan was the coldest of all and Dante had to climb around Satan and through the frozen pools to get to purgatory. Of course, that's just a myth, but since it's the basis for most of the Christian afterlife, it seems kind of relevant. Personally though, I always liked the idea that the world was balanced on the back of a giant turtle. I heard a story once, that there was this scientist, an astronomer or something, and he was talking to a big crowd, telling them all about the big bang and the theories of the universe about whether it would contract or expand and everything. And there was this little old lady in the crowd and she raised her hand and interrupted the scientist. And she said to him "Sonny, I say sonny, that's a bunch of hoohaw. The world is balanced on the back of a giant turtle and that's all there is." And then the scientist, because he wanted to look smug and superior, y'know? Anyway, the scientist says to the woman, with this big smirk, he says "Well miss, what is the turtle on top of?" And then she put up her hand and wagged her finger at the scientist and she said, "Oh, you can't fool me sonny. You think you're so smart. But I'll tell you. It's turtles. Nothing but turtles all the way down."
    [Okay, Thanqol's Super Precise modifier calculator:
    1: For opening the textbox and seeing that giant block of text.
    1: For not using any sort of linebreak.
    1: For dissing Dante, who is a hack.
    1: For turtles.

So +4 dice.]
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-07-23 at 07:35 AM.
    To improve is to change

13. - Top - End - #193
    Titan in the Playground

[Personally, I did find Inferno enjoyable, but the other two books are awful. Beatrice might actually be the worst tour guide in history. (4d10)[10][1][8][7](26) 10 again is a 3. 2 successes.]
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-07-23 at 07:49 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #194
    Titan in the Playground

[Personally, I did find Inferno enjoyable, but the other two books are awful. Beatrice might actually be the worst tour guide in history. [roll0] 10 again is a 3. 2 successes.]
    [That's a tie, it goes to the Player Character after an hour and a half of walking.]

It was a slow and creeping realisation, but eventually the priest was unable to deny the horrifying conclusion that she could keep doing this forever. The unending tide of words from the girl's mouth wore away at the old man's resolve, causing visions to flash behind his eyes of going to bed and having Tessen stand outside his window continuing to yammer.

Finally, the horror achieved physical manifestation. The old priest stopped where he was and shouted, "FINE! I GIVE UP! WHAT DO YOU WANT?!" having genuinely forgotten how this unceasing noise-box had entered his life in the first place.
    To improve is to change

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

"Huh? Oh, um. I wanted to know who you were, how you knew me, and why you were sitting outside my building seemingly just waiting there for me."

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

"Because you are a witch, a bride of Satan and an evildoer, and your demon-possessed den of sin is a blight in the heart of this city!" said the priest.

The passerby weren't too unused to a crazy old dude shouting in the street about religious stuff, so they just walked around the two.
    To improve is to change

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

"oookay. Who told you that, and who are you planning to report to?"

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

"I answer only to God," said the priest.
    To improve is to change

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

"Since I don't believe that God spoke to you personally and told you what I look like, and I've never met you before, I'm pretty sure that someone told you about me. Who might that have been?"

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

"Of course you wouldn't believe in God, witch, as much as you throw his name around," said the priest.
    To improve is to change

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

"Actually, I said that I didn't believe God spoke to you. I guess I could be wrong. Are you saying that God actually spoke to you, personally, and told you what I looked like? Actually, that would be sort of a compliment, even if it would make God a peeping Tom."
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-07-23 at 08:29 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

"God is not a - omnipresence - phaw!" the priest choked off mid sentence. "If you must know, I found the cursed building and simply paid attention to who went in and out of it."
    To improve is to change

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

"Okay, now we're getting somewhere. So you found the building. Where did you come from? Actually, what's your name as well, and what church are you a priest at?"

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #204
    Titan in the Playground

The priest almost said "I don't have to answer your questions", but the memory of the past hour and a half washed through him like a chill.

"I am not endangering my home or my flock by telling you their names," he said, "but my name is Father Pritchard."
    To improve is to change

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

"I see." Tessen takes out her notebook and writes down his name. While waiting for the book to take effect, she says "you said you had heard about the building, not who was going in and out of it. So, I'll ask again. Who set you to watching us? A description will do if you lack a name."

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

"Nobody set me to watching your damn building! If you have a problem with divine revelation, maybe you can pray for forgiveness!" said Pritchard in frustration.

The notebook's insight was, "Blinding light must be met with blind faith, even if one has no idea what one is praying to."
    To improve is to change

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

"Actually, I don't, Father. I hope you'll forgive me for being untrusting, but divine revelation is so rare. Here, why don't I buy you a coffee, and you can tell me about your divine revelation, how does that sound?"

[I don't care if I have resources zero, coffee is in the same category as cigarettes and bullets: anyone can afford it.]

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

"You untrusting? You're the one who lives in the demon house! I have walked in the dark places of the city, I know their scent and I have driven out the filth that inhabits them," he almost sounded like a real monster hunter here. "I know the corrupting rot that besets those who dwell there and the false idols they worship, and I know of the dark beasts they call forth. Why should I tell you more than I already have?"
    To improve is to change

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

"Well" *she puts a finger on her chin, thinking aloud* "for one thing, you're a priest, so when someone wants help being saved, you should try and be friendly with them so they'll take your advice. Second, you were spying on me, which is a little bit rude, so it would be nice if you explained some things. On top of that, I want to help people too and you could teach me to do that better. Being secretive and mean just makes it seem like you're hiding something."

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

"Do you want to be saved?" that looked unexpected, "Do you renounce Satan and all his works? Do you accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour?"

That sounded a little... more Hollywood than Priest.
    To improve is to change