New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Post Apocalyptic Medieval Fiction

Are there any media that are post apocalyptic medieval fiction? I got the idea when I saw that Battle for Westnoth has Under the Burning Suns, which reminds me of a D&D post apocalyptic campaign called Dark Sun. Unlike Dark Sun, Burning Suns still has Orcs that are now part of dominant race in now apocalyptic Westnoth.
    Here's two I know
    - Dark Sun
    - Under the Burning Suns campaign of Battle for Westnoth.
    Edit: I am actually looking for Devastated Medieval Fantasy Universe, like Dark Sun (not Earth or reduced to medieval society fiction).
    Last edited by t209; 2012-07-14 at 08:38 PM.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Post Apocalyptic Medieval Fiction

Define "post-apocalyptic."

For certain values of it, the Lord of the Rings saga is post-apocalyptic. In fact, for most values, really. The destruction of Numenor, then the subsequent destruction of the Northern Kingdoms leaving a vast, virtually empty wilderness. Gondor is failing. Rohan is failing. The greatest servents of the West are missing, dead, or have turned traitor to their own ambitions. The great strength of the "good" races is flagging while, seemingly, the strength of The Dark Lord are ever increasing . . .

Yeah, it kind of starts out a bit pastoral, but if you really dig into it, the books are really quite full of pathos and quite grim on a lot of levels. A lot of people, most I would argue, don't actually understand a lot of what's going on in those books.

Anyway, I'm off that particular soapbox now . . .

Dying Earth is a medieval post-apocalyptic world. Sort of. It's a little complicated.

As I understand it, the Sundered Realms (I think that's what it's called) was as well.

Midnight is a game world with this in effect (i.e., The Dark Lord wins the war).
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Banned

Technically Adventure Time. Also Ralph Bakshi's Wizards.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

I forget what it's called, but there's a book series where some kind of weird disaster causes electricity and fossil fuels and such to stop working, thereby causing the "apocalypse" of knocking the modern world back to medieval (or at least preindustrial) levels of technology. That count?
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

The british sci-fi movie 'Doomsday' could be considered this as in it parts of britain have been abandoned and reverted to primitive and, in one case, a medieval way of life
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingWizardGirl

Thundarr the Barbarian

7. - Top - End - #7
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It's not exactly what you want, but the novel 'Doomsday Book' features a woman travelling back in time to the middle of the Black Death epidemic. That was pretty post-apocalyptic in terms of its effect on medieval society.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

E.E. Knight's vampire earth books might qualify, S.M. Stirling's novels of the change definitely do. Terry Brooks wrote some post apocolyptic books linking his Shanarra books with another one of his series, but I didn't think they were very good.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    Define "post-apocalyptic."

For certain values of it, the Lord of the Rings saga is post-apocalyptic. In fact, for most values, really. The destruction of Numenor, then the subsequent destruction of the Northern Kingdoms leaving a vast, virtually empty wilderness. Gondor is failing. Rohan is failing. The greatest servents of the West are missing, dead, or have turned traitor to their own ambitions. The great strength of the "good" races is flagging while, seemingly, the strength of The Dark Lord are ever increasing . . .
    If you go that route, a lot of fantasy fiction is medieval post apocalyptic... Dragonlance (mostly) takes place after the Cataclysm, Song of Fire and Ice is after the fall of Valyria, etc...

Here is an article about how nearly all D&D settings assume a post-Apocalyptic world, as well...
    Last edited by JoeMac307; 2012-07-11 at 09:44 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Second Apocalypse and the Obernewtyn Chronicles.
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

The Stand count?

A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court count?

Kinda hard to nail what you want...

How about the Gunslinger series? That was all over the place though.

Feist's Riftwar saga?
    My free puzzle, riddle and mystery website. It's ALIVE!!! http://www.treasuredhunt.com

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Well, for different values of "medieval", two things come to mind. The first is Battletech, which is a game system set in an era where 1) humanity has advanced technologically to the point that it colonized about a thousand worlds, created jump drives to allow efficient travel between the stars, and created giant walking tanks called 'Mechs, but then 2) proceeded to nuke themselves to the point where they can barely produce their weapons of war, and have limited understanding of what a lot of what they produce actually does.

The second is the Dark Tower series by Stephen King. For some reason, the Dark Tower has stopped working the way it was supposed to, and because of that, the reality of the universe has started to unravel, centered on the world of Roland Deschain, the last gunslinger. Despite the use of firearms and the heavy use of Western motifs, the feel of the universe is very medieval, with gunslingers being explicitly tied to the Round Table of Arthur Eld.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    Thundarr the Barbarian
    *gives you the reward for awesome reference* First person I saw even post this! Its a P-A Earth ripe with magic, mutants, and super science!

Adventure Time is a good example as well, weird stuff in a weird P-A Earth called Ooo, weird tech and even stranger inhabitants. You can see the remains of our world every episode from being items in the background to actually holding items in their hands such as a mini nuke, or even being the focus of the story such as Beautopia!

Also would love to suggest the setting Blackmoor and Mystra, both are 'connected' and Blackmoor was ended in The Rain of Fire, Mystra takes places after the Rain of Fire. Blackmoor is also the setting with the cashed space ship called 'City of the Gods' by the natives. The setting is actually more then it appears, I love it and it was where I ran my first game after I played Expedition to the Barrier Peaks with another DM. Mystra takes place after the Rain of Fire and the 'Immortals/gods' are a odd bunch who seem to look at their followers more like a experiment then just followers. One even studied something that was highly dangerous thinking it would be beneficial to the Immortals, the Immortals remind me of Jack Kirby's New Gods.

I'd suggest also looking into the old Gamma World books as well as the two novels they produced for the new rule set. I love P-A and gamma World is my favorite setting. The current version is vague enough you can make your own Gamma World, mines littered with 'magic items' in the form of omega tech, I've got two 'arcanist' walking around using dark mutations as spells. Its a fun setting.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Elric of Melnibone seems to fit into this?

Elric's homeland is an analogy of Atlantis, a superpowerful nation which has since slipped into isolation and decline. The world it once controlled has now become wilderness and young civilizations. Melnibone has superscience and supermagic, while the young nations are relatively backward.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    I forget what it's called, but there's a book series where some kind of weird disaster causes electricity and fossil fuels and such to stop working, thereby causing the "apocalypse" of knocking the modern world back to medieval (or at least preindustrial) levels of technology. That count?
    Definitely. It's called the Emberverse Saga or the Novels of the Change, it's by S.M. Stirling, and it's one heck of a postapocalypse.

There's also the Shannara series, but I don't recommend it.
    Last edited by DomaDoma; 2012-07-12 at 06:56 AM.
    Don't blame me. I voted for Kodos.

16. - Top - End - #16

Daemon

If you're looking for a movie maybe 'Evil Dead III - Army of Darkness'? it's medieval sort of postapocalyptic sort of horror comedy, absoultely 'must-see'

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy13a View Post
    Thundarr the Barbarian
    Thread winnah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scowling Dragon View Post
    How did you have that image on standby......

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Wheel of Time arguably also counts.

And I know I've read some pretty good short stories of Medieval world/Aliens crossover.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Revolution, maybe?

Also, the Jon Shannow/Jerusalem Man trilogy by David Gemmell.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

If electricity stopped working, life would stop working. We use electricity in our own bodies to move, breath, and think. Also, if "fossil fuels" stopped working, then you're saying combustion stopped working, so fire no longer works. That series sounds like someone put a lot of work into a premise without ever thinking through the premise.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    It's not exactly what you want, but the novel 'Doomsday Book' features a woman travelling back in time to the middle of the Black Death epidemic. That was pretty post-apocalyptic in terms of its effect on medieval society.
    Came here to say that too. :P

We've had multiple extinction level events in our history. The apocalypse has occurred over and over again throughout human history.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    We've had multiple extinction level events in our history. The apocalypse has occurred over and over again throughout human history.
    When you say throughout human history, do you mean human prehistory, i.e. before written records?

Or do you mean actual human history, where humans were organized enough to form civilizations with written records, which then went through an extinction level event?

As far as I know, there is no conclusive proof of that - just theories / myths like Atlantis.

Or am I misunderstanding?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerfTW View Post
    If electricity stopped working, life would stop working. We use electricity in our own bodies to move, breath, and think. Also, if "fossil fuels" stopped working, then you're saying combustion stopped working, so fire no longer works. That series sounds like someone put a lot of work into a premise without ever thinking through the premise.
    Actually, they did. For instance, someone makes a steam engine in the book. It gets to a certain pressure, but before it reaches a useful amount it just stops getting any more pressure. The characters comment on how this clearly isn't natural, and the favorite theory seems to be Alien Space Bats. Later on(in the second trilogy) it is revealed what's going on. Massive spoilers, but if you don't care
    Spoiler
    Show
    essentially, every human who dies goes and forms some sort of overmind/spirit parliament thing. The many simply wanted to destroy humanity due to it's destructiveness, but were eventually talked into a comprimise where they simply removed the ability for humans to construct machines that provide, well, power in any form, by apparently rewriting the laws of reality on such a fine level that Humanity can survive, but not use it's greater, non muscle, wind, or water powered technologies(steam engines not falling into water, obviously).

So, no, it was well thought out. Including the repercussions of such an action(something like 99% of humanity dies).
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Actually, they did. For instance, someone makes a steam engine in the book. It gets to a certain pressure, but before it reaches a useful amount it just stops getting any more pressure. The characters comment on how this clearly isn't natural, and the favorite theory seems to be Alien Space Bats. Later on(in the second trilogy) it is revealed what's going on. Massive spoilers, but if you don't care
    Spoiler
    Show
    essentially, every human who dies goes and forms some sort of overmind/spirit parliament thing. The many simply wanted to destroy humanity due to it's destructiveness, but were eventually talked into a comprimise where they simply removed the ability for humans to construct machines that provide, well, power in any form, by apparently rewriting the laws of reality on such a fine level that Humanity can survive, but not use it's greater, non muscle, wind, or water powered technologies(steam engines not falling into water, obviously).

So, no, it was well thought out. Including the repercussions of such an action(something like 99% of humanity dies).
    Read the spoiler - so essentially, it's the A Wizard Did It trope?
    Last edited by JoeMac307; 2012-07-13 at 08:33 AM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Major Spoilers.
    Spoiler
    Show
    More like God/gods. But yes.

Also, I was somewhat incorrect. The laws aren't changed. What's actually happening is that the omnipresent and extremely powerful being/beings are actively interfering in matters to stop those technologies from working.
    Satomi by Elagune

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

I am appreciated that there are many post apocalyptic fiction other than Dark Sun and Under the Burning Suns campaign for Battle for Westnoth.
    What I mean by the title is not on Earth, it means by alternate universe (like Dragonlance and Dark Sun) that was devastated by cataclysm.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, come to think on it, the DeathGate Cycle is also post apocalyptic. Finding out just what happened and why is a major point of that series.

27. - Top - End - #27

I want to suggest something, but simply to suggest it would be a spoiler. I still enjoyed it immensely despite having it spoiled in that way, so here goes.
    You've been warned.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Book of the New Sun

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Saberhagen's books of the sword, as well. Though I can't recall the titles anymore.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Try Korgoth of Barbaria.

The world goes though some unknown disaster, reducing civilization to Conan the Barbarian levels of technology. Just be aware it's pretty violent. If you liked Superjail, you might like this show. It only had one episode though.
    http://www.heroesofivalice.net/forum...154-Game-Rules
    Forum RP based off Final Fantasy Tactics (the good one.)

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    What I mean by the title is not on Earth, it means by alternate universe (like Dragonlance and Dark Sun) that was devastated by cataclysm.
    Oh. Oh.

There's two sets of novels by Mickey Zucker Reichert, called The Renshai Trilogy, which is mostly about what ninjas would be like if they had Norse Gods and leads to Ragnarok.

And then there's The Renshai Chronicles, where the first novel is titled 'Beyond Ragnarok' and a lot of Gods are dead, and some aren't, and a whole bunch of people are dead, etc.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome