Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 147
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground
     
    KuReshtin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Largs, Scotland

    Default We're going for the record! Small World for 55+ hours. 1-3 August

    BIG NEWS:
    I'm excited to announce that on the 1st to 3rd of August, BM, DC, SM (all United Kingdom) and CO (Sweden)* will attempt to break the Guinness World Record for Longest Marathon Playing a Boardgame, at Bus Stop Toy Shop, Largs, Scotland. The current World Record stands at a smidgen under 54 hours but we're all gunning to go past that mark.

    Of course, we're doing it all for a good cause - more news on that in the coming days. (There's lots of bits to tie up because you're not allowed to publicise a record attempt until Guinness approve it.) In the meantime though, I hope you'll all support us in our efforts.


    At the moment, the game of choice for the record attempt is Small World.


    *that would be me
    Last edited by KuReshtin; 2012-07-25 at 04:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Killer Angel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    At the moment, the game of choice for the record attempt is Small World.
    A lot of matches, then... you'll probably end trying almost all the possible variations of powers/races.
    It will include the underground expansion?
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-07-11 at 06:35 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)


    Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books

    Avatar removed, work in progress...

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground
     
    KuReshtin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Largs, Scotland

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    A lot of matches, then... you'll probably end trying all the possible variations of powers/races.
    It will include the underground expansion?
    yeah, there will be a lot of matches played. That would always be the case, and Small World was chosen because of the fact that every match is different since the power/race combinations change each match.
    Stops it from being too repetitive.
    However, i have a feeling we'll all hate Small World after this marathon session.

    We haven't decided on whether to use underground as well, but we might well do. Gives a few more options with the races and powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    The Succubus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Play a FULL game of Order of the Stick....without the Shortening.

    That's an easy week's worth there.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Does it have to be the same game played constantly over the time period? You'd think they'd let you swap out now and again to relieve the monotony!

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground
     
    KuReshtin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Largs, Scotland

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Nope, it has to be the same game throughout the attempt.
    It's a marathon attempt, basically. they don't let marathon runners switch to bicycles in the middle of the race to break the monotony of running, so we don't get to change games during the attempt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    grimbold's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Paris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Play a FULL game of Order of the Stick....without the Shortening.

    That's an easy week's worth there.
    is that even possible?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Cheesepirate for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Do they at least let you sleep sometime in the middle of your attempt?
    Or, are they going to videotape it so people can laugh as you start to slowly go insane from sleep deprivation?
    Last edited by Elemental; 2012-07-11 at 07:31 AM.
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    Current avatar by Smuchmuch. (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground
     
    KuReshtin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Largs, Scotland

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Do they at least let you sleep sometime in the middle of your attempt?
    Or, are they going to videotape it so people can laugh as you start to slowly go insane from sleep deprivation?
    According to the rules, we will accrue a 5 minute break for each completed hour of play.
    So, if we start playing at 09:00, we can go for a 5 minute break at 10:00 and be back at 10:05. After that, our next break accrued would be at 10:05 after that completed hour and so on.

    We can, however, add up those 5 minute breaks to make it a longer break, so if we play non-stop for 4 hours, we can take a 20 minute break, and so on.

    We're still trying to figure out how exactly we are going to collect video evidence from the attempt, and if we can set up some sort of live feed or something so that people can tune in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    According to the rules, we will accrue a 5 minute break for each completed hour of play.
    So, if we start playing at 09:00, we can go for a 5 minute break at 10:00 and be back at 10:05. After that, our next break accrued would be at 10:05 after that completed hour and so on.

    We can, however, add up those 5 minute breaks to make it a longer break, so if we play non-stop for 4 hours, we can take a 20 minute break, and so on.

    We're still trying to figure out how exactly we are going to collect video evidence from the attempt, and if we can set up some sort of live feed or something so that people can tune in.
    So you can't... I don't know... Bring in a reserve while one of you sleeps?
    Otherwise... It might be a little hard to do...

    My suggestion is you look up tactics to keep awake for long periods of time that don't involve dosing yourself on caffeine and sugar.
    I think I read somewhere about foods rich in protein or carbohydrates or something...
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    Current avatar by Smuchmuch. (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground
     
    KuReshtin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Largs, Scotland

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    So you can't... I don't know... Bring in a reserve while one of you sleeps?
    No, that would defeat the purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    Otherwise... It might be a little hard to do...
    Again, that's the point of a world record for the longest session of playing a single board game.

    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    My suggestion is you look up tactics to keep awake for long periods of time that don't involve dosing yourself on caffeine and sugar.
    I think I read somewhere about foods rich in protein or carbohydrates or something...
    We will be doing extensive studies on the subject before the try, I'm sure. :)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    So you can't... I don't know... Bring in a reserve while one of you sleeps?
    Otherwise... It might be a little hard to do...

    My suggestion is you look up tactics to keep awake for long periods of time that don't involve dosing yourself on caffeine and sugar.
    I think I read somewhere about foods rich in protein or carbohydrates or something...
    I have previously played video games for 70 hours at a stretch, back when LAN parties were cool. It gets...wonky.

    The first sixteen hours or so is easy. Get tons of rest beforehand. Get a comfortable setup. Arrange for food to nibble on, but beware of the sleepiness that comes with heavy eating.

    For maximum effectiveness, give up caffeine a couple weeks prior to the event. You build up a tolerance, so giving it up for a while sheds that. Keep giant stockpiles of caffeinated beverages around for the gaming session. Start slow, no need to dip into them for at least the first normal day. Assuming you start at like 8amish, you'll feel dog tired in the early morning of the first night. If you make it through that, you get kind of a second wind, though.

    Keep bottled water around, too. Balancing the soda is a good idea.

    After around two days of being awake, kind of a mental fog sets in. People act a bit dumber...sometimes to the point of appearing almost drunk. Having someone videotape this part could be hilarious later.

    Also, set aside a couple days afterward for recovery. You will seriously need them.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground
     
    KuReshtin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Largs, Scotland

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    I have previously played video games for 70 hours at a stretch, back when LAN parties were cool. It gets...wonky.

    The first sixteen hours or so is easy. Get tons of rest beforehand. Get a comfortable setup. Arrange for food to nibble on, but beware of the sleepiness that comes with heavy eating.

    For maximum effectiveness, give up caffeine a couple weeks prior to the event. You build up a tolerance, so giving it up for a while sheds that. Keep giant stockpiles of caffeinated beverages around for the gaming session. Start slow, no need to dip into them for at least the first normal day. Assuming you start at like 8amish, you'll feel dog tired in the early morning of the first night. If you make it through that, you get kind of a second wind, though.

    Keep bottled water around, too. Balancing the soda is a good idea.

    After around two days of being awake, kind of a mental fog sets in. People act a bit dumber...sometimes to the point of appearing almost drunk. Having someone videotape this part could be hilarious later.

    Also, set aside a couple days afterward for recovery. You will seriously need them.
    very good tips and suggestions..
    we had a bit of a talk about things last night, and we all agreed that caffeinated drinks is not your friend during an event like this, until you reach the very final stretch, since the caffeine and sugar in those drinks usually give you a temporary high, but then a very hard crash after a while, which will be counter productive.

    We will make sure there's plenty of water around for hydration and not a whole lot of heavy food.

    All of us are gamers, so we have all done marathon gaming sessions before, only not in an official capacity, so I'm sure we'll get through at least the first day and a half or so without too much problem.
    Hopefully.

    I know I've done some 30-36 hour stints of being awake and haven't had much problem with that, however that's still a whole day less than what we're aiming for.

    I will likely be getting the Saturday to recover to start with, and then possibly have an American football game to officiate on the Sunday, but I think that it can still be good to have that, as it requires me to get back into a proper sleep rhythm after being zonked out on the Saturday. Still expect an early evening on the Sunday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Tyndmyr's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    IIRC, I slept for 22 hours straight after my longest gaming stint. After that, I felt pretty decent, though. I think my clock was still a bit off from a normal day though, but that went back after a coupla days of adjusting...

    Best of luck on your attempt!

    Also, I can't help but wonder if there's a record for longest roleplaying session.
    Back from a lengthy vacation from Giantitp. I've been dabbling with 3d printer technology and game design, PM if you're curious.

    "World domination is such an ugly phrase. I prefer to call it world optimization."

    New: Tyndmyr has a game shop!

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    I know I've done some 30-36 hour stints of being awake and haven't had much problem with that, however that's still a whole day less than what we're aiming for.
    I think 38 hours or thereabouts is the most I've ever managed (after an All Night Film Show at University I chose to stay awake until as close to my normal bedtime as I could so I wouldn't disrupt my sleep pattern too much)...I really can't imagine doing 24 hours longer than that!

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground
     
    AtlanteanTroll's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Oberlin College
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    It's a marathon attempt, basically. they don't let marathon runners switch to bicycles in the middle of the race to break the monotony of running, so we don't get to change games during the attempt.
    Yes they do. It's called a triathlon. *is smacked*
    My art thread! Updated 8/21! C&C Appreciated!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground
     
    KuReshtin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Largs, Scotland

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post
    Yes they do. It's called a triathlon. *is smacked*
    *SMACK*

    Then it's not a marathon anymore, silly troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Have you considered Twilight Imperium, and then have everyone turtle? You could easily get 30 hours a game that way, since it easily turns into WWI and you can waste endless time doing things like look at technology sheets on your turn.

    If you remove Victory Points, that is. Otherwise the game is only a few hours each run.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Elemental's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    An Abyssal Tower
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    You've got a point there... With the right game and the right manipulations, a game can easily last indefinitely.
    Or would the people recording this record not award it if you manipulate things like that?
    Mauve Shirt, Savannah, Gnomish Wanderer, Cuthalion and Smuchmuch get cookies for making me avatars. (::)
    Current avatar by Smuchmuch. (::)

    Co Founder of LUTAS - For all your less than useful heroes out there.

    My Deviant Art. Careful, it's full of ponies.

    Dragons!

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Killer Angel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Have you considered Twilight Imperium, and then have everyone turtle? You could easily get 30 hours a game that way, since it easily turns into WWI and you can waste endless time doing things like look at technology sheets on your turn.
    Alternatively, I would suggest something different.

    Option 1: Small World.
    What's good: you can have various combo of powers/races, so you'll avoid boring repetitions.
    Bad: in the end it's the same basic scenario and every match won't waste so much time... you'll be in full mode immersion almost always, and playing 40 or 50 matches of the same game, can be pretty devastating.

    Option 2: Twilight Imp.
    What's good: you'll need lot of hours for a single game, and so you'll avoid a too much quick pacing.
    Bad: a game too much long and very complex, can be mentally tiring. Very tiring.

    Option 3 (my new suggestion): Starcraft (or something with similar characteristics).
    Each game will last 2-3 hours: you'll avoid the bad part of games too much short and too much long (Civilization, I'm looking at you).
    Developing different tech, you can have everytime different strategies.
    The set-up will take some time, randomly choosing planets and placing them... this will have the bonuses of variety in the setting (no fixed map) AND it will give you some time to relax before beginning effectively to play.
    When your race isn't directly involved in combat, you can enjoy some mental rest.
    Last edited by Killer Angel; 2012-07-12 at 06:34 AM.
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)


    Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books

    Avatar removed, work in progress...

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Castaras's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Leicester, UK
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post

    We haven't decided on whether to use underground as well, but we might well do. Gives a few more options with the races and powers.

    If you're going to be doing that many hours, play with Underworld to keep the races varied enough to keep you interested. You can also switch out underworld every now and again to get just the vanilla.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

    "After the first day we universally agreed that she was banned from fire thereafter. The second day she ended up with the power to create 5 extra copies of herself."
    ~ Heliomance

    "You're like Pinkie Pie powered by a nuclear reactor."
    ~ Lix Lorn


  22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Devil

    Join Date
    Nov 2011

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    So...all you have to do is play a boardgame for more than 56 hours?
    And you can play as many matches as you want?
    Seems easy, but good luck.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground
     
    KuReshtin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Largs, Scotland

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Alternatively, I would suggest something different.

    Option 1: Small World.
    What's good: you can have various combo of powers/races, so you'll avoid boring repetitions.
    Bad: in the end it's the same basic scenario and every match won't waste so much time... you'll be in full mode immersion almost always, and playing 40 or 50 matches of the same game, can be pretty devastating.
    This is true that it'll be brutal to play 45-50 games one after the other of the same game. We're hoping that the variation of the powers and races will help out with the monotony.

    It also has the added bonus of all players knowing the rules and that means we can get started without getting bogged down with weird rules.


    As i said, Small World is the game we are going to go for, and Duncan, who runs the shop we'll be attempting the record has contacted Days of Wonder to see if they'd be interesting to promote the event and maybe donate a bit of money to charity.

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Option 2: Twilight Imp.
    What's good: you'll need lot of hours for a single game, and so you'll avoid a too much quick pacing.
    Bad: a game too much long and very complex, can be mentally tiring. Very tiring.
    Never player it, and I'm not sure anyone else in the group has either. This would potentially cause silly game stoppages for checking rules if we're not used to it, and if you say that it's overly complicated to start with, then Small World would be the easier choice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Killer Angel View Post
    Option 3 (my new suggestion): Starcraft (or something with similar characteristics).
    Each game will last 2-3 hours: you'll avoid the bad part of games too much short and too much long (Civilization, I'm looking at you).
    Developing different tech, you can have everytime different strategies.
    The set-up will take some time, randomly choosing planets and placing them... this will have the bonuses of variety in the setting (no fixed map) AND it will give you some time to relax before beginning effectively to play.
    When your race isn't directly involved in combat, you can enjoy some mental
    rest.
    The StarCraft board game is one that I have tried playing once, and after 2 hours of setting up and trying to figure stuff out, we decided to scrap it since it was too broken to figure out.
    A few others in the group have made it through a bit, so they should know it, but I think the reset between games could be preventative in the case of StarCraft.

    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    If you're going to be doing that many hours, play with Underworld to keep the races varied enough to keep you interested. You can also switch out underworld every now and again to get just the vanilla.
    I'm pretty sure we'll run with Underground and Tunnels, to give us the extra variation of the games.
    Also, once we make the selection, we won't be able to mix and match which expansions we play, but must stick to the same one throughout.

    Quote Originally Posted by Venser View Post
    So...all you have to do is play a boardgame for more than 56 hours?
    And you can play as many matches as you want?
    Seems easy, but good luck.
    Considering that the 55 hours we're aiming for will take us from Wednesday morning at 9AM until about 4PM Friday afternoon, and that's not taking into account that the rules state that any breaks we take does not count towards our total time (we earn 5 minutes of break after every completed full hour of playing), we're more likely looking at about finishing at around 9-10PM on Friday night.
    If you think that'll be easy, please, go right ahead and contact Guinness World Records to try and beat us when we set the record.


    According to the information we were sent regarding the attempt, the current record is held by a group of Americans who played 'Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game' for 53 hours 59 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Killer Angel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Italy
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by KuReshtin View Post
    This is true that it'll be brutal to play 45-50 games one after the other of the same game. We're hoping that the variation of the powers and races will help out with the monotony.

    It also has the added bonus of all players knowing the rules and that means we can get started without getting bogged down with weird rules.


    As i said, Small World is the game we are going to go for, and Duncan, who runs the shop we'll be attempting the record has contacted Days of Wonder to see if they'd be interesting to promote the event and maybe donate a bit of money to charity.
    Then, the issue is resolved; and an official involvement of DoW would be great!
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes. (W.Whitman)


    Things that increase my self esteem:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaiyanwang View Post
    Great analysis KA. I second all things you said
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeYounger View Post
    Great analysis KA, I second everything you said here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryu_Bonkosi View Post
    If I have a player using Paladin in the future I will direct them to this. Good job.
    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    THIS is proof that KA is amazing
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Killer Angel, you have an excellent taste in books

    Avatar removed, work in progress...

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    grimbold's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Paris
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    wait
    can you sleep in this time?
    My Metal Blog
    Quote Originally Posted by PsychedelicBard View Post
    I think we can all agree in one thing. Metal + Pirates = Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by VanBuren View Post
    Dwarves, like pirates, simply become more proficient as they becomes more intoxicated.
    Thanks to Cheesepirate for the awesome avatar
    Come join the Giantitp Chat on Facebook!

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Avaris's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    The New Castle
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Can't help but feel Risk Legacy would have been another good choice for this (I think I showed you a copy at the UK meetup?), given that the entire premise of the game is to have the board evolving over the course of a load of games... ah well, good luck!
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

    I'm a world builder, but have no worlds of my own. If you have a basic concept and want ideas to flesh it out, I can help! Pm me!

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground
     
    KuReshtin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Largs, Scotland

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by grimbold View Post
    wait
    can you sleep in this time?
    If it's part of a break. Yes.
    At the table, playing the game? No.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    Can't help but feel Risk Legacy would have been another good choice for this (I think I showed you a copy at the UK meetup?), given that the entire premise of the game is to have the board evolving over the course of a load of games... ah well, good luck!
    Yeah, I thought that would have been a very good idea for a game for the record attempt.
    We'd already settled on Small World before you showed me it, though. This has been in the works since early June, we just hadn't got the official reply from Guinness before last week, and then we needed to iron some stuff out this week, and that's why the announcement only came this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Archonic Energy's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Refugee of Aiur
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    Can't help but feel Risk Legacy would have been another good choice for this (I think I showed you a copy at the UK meetup?), given that the entire premise of the game is to have the board evolving over the course of a load of games... ah well, good luck!
    I open the "do not open. ever." envelope!

    Also Good Luck Ku.
    i'll raid the hopstial's neuroscience lab for that expermental no sleep drug they are working on...
    Spoiler
    Show


    Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

    i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Asta Kask's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    I'd go with classic - chess. You can sit for hours and contemplate a single move.
    Avatar by CoffeeIncluded

    Someday you will depart, but till that distant day
    Sing, and dance.
    Eat your fill of warm cooked food and cool jugs of beer.
    Cherish the children your love gave life.
    Bathe away life's dirt in warm drawn waters.
    Pass the time in joy with your chosen wife.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: We're going for the record!

    Quote Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
    I'd go with classic - chess. You can sit for hours and contemplate a single move.
    Sitting for hours and contemplating a move after you've been awake for 50+ hours straight, though? Not so much.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •