New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Murder Betwixt the Towers [Eberron 3.5 Noir] IC

Outside Kolare's Apothecary--Cassan Bridge, Middle Menthis Plateau

A crowd was nothing new in Sharn. At its core, the city was simply a crowd all pressed together and stacked on top of itself like a deck of cards. A crowd outside of a shop usually meant it was simply one of a thousand sales designed to get bodies in the door, but a crowd outside of a shop with members of the Sharn Watch blocking the doors meant only one thing--a crime had taken place.

"Nothin' to see here, folks," the burly half-orc watchman said. He held up his hand, palm outstretched as if that one simple gesture could keep at bay the crowd of pedestrians hungry for entertainment. Some in the crowd craned their necks in an attempt to see in the windows, while others in the crowd chattered and tittered amongst themselves. "Could it be another?" one asked. "It was The Strangler!" another voice called out. "Hey now, keep it down!" the watchman bellowed over the crescendo of rumors in the crowd. "Go about your business and keep quiet about it before I start issuin' citations! Now, unless anyone was an eyewitness who'd like to give their account of events to an officer, you'd better scram."
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Murder Betwixt the Towers [Eberron 3.5 Noir] IC

Rayne walks up to the scene of the crime, and tries to see as best he can what went down last night. "I'll probably need to get closer" he thinks to himself. He walks up to the slowest looking member of the watch, and introduces himself. "Rayne Jones, Inquisitive. I'm here to analyze the scene of the crime."
    Last edited by Matamane; 2012-07-11 at 09:06 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

HalflingPirate

A man with handsome features, piercing blue eyes, and a mop of brown hair pushes through the crowd with a purpose. Marching right up to the Half-Orc watchman who was so cavalierly threatening citations, the young man asserted, "Khlorsec Berthalt. I've been sent in as a consultant. It is vital that I see the scene while it is as fresh as possible. Who is currently the watchman in charge?"

Spoiler
    Show
    I presume you'll want a Bluff check. Does the roller work in this thread?
    (1d20-1)[19]
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Excuse me, sir." The speaker is a lanky human male in the uniform of an Orien courier. Over his shoulder is slung a leather bag. "But I believe I may have seen something. You wouldn't happen to be looking for someone small wearing a black cloak, would you?" Felix Hennessy explains that he was inside a local apothecary when an old man mentioned calling the watch and reached for some potions. "A few moments later, the cloaked person left. In a hurry, I might add."

5. - Top - End - #5

Default Outside Kolare's Apothecary--Cassan Bridge, Middle Menthis Plateau

Quote Originally Posted by Matamane View Post
    "Rayne Jones, Inquisitive. I'm here to analyze the scene of the crime."
    Rayne approaches the half-orc Watchman, as the others all seem both high-ranking and highly uninterested. They are gathered around the other door to the apothecary in a semi-circle, laughing about something that happened the previous night when they were off-duty.

The half-orc sighs and rolls his eyes as Rayne introduces himself. "Jark Straighttooth," he responds, "Annoyed. I'm here to stop any random yahoo from entering the premise. This includes you, citizen."

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    "Khlorsec Berthalt. I've been sent in as a consultant. It is vital that I see the scene while it is as fresh as possible. Who is currently the watchman in charge?"
    Jark begins to respond with the same snark he has given others when you mention your name, but stops when you mention being sent as a consultant. He gives a small sigh, as if this was a common annoyance in his life. "Course the suits don't trust us to do our own jobs and pay you guys double the coin for half the work. Show Sergeant Tenpenny over there your consultancy agreement and he'll give you the rundown," the half-orc says with a nod toward the man in the middle of the semi-circle of high-ranked officers. The man in question is slightly older than his compatriots, as evidenced by his salt-and-pepper hair. He laughs at something one of his officers has just said, causing the cigar clenched between his teeth to bounce merrily.

Quote Originally Posted by RdMarquis View Post
    "Excuse me, sir." The speaker is a lanky human male in the uniform of an Orien courier. Over his shoulder is slung a leather bag. "But I believe I may have seen something. You wouldn't happen to be looking for someone small wearing a black cloak, would you?" Felix Hennessy explains that he was inside a local apothecary when an old man mentioned calling the watch and reached for some potions. "A few moments later, the cloaked person left. In a hurry, I might add."
    For the first time all day, a smile creeps across the half-orc's face. "Finally, someone who may have actually seen something. Did you get a good look at this person? We've got a gaggle of midgets in this city: gnomes, dwarves, halflings...any idea what you saw?" The Watchman flips open his notepad and begins to scrawl a few notes.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-07-13 at 06:25 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6

Devil

"I've been hired by the watch as a private consultant. I though I was expected. Feel free to check with your supervisor if you don't believe me."

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll take 10 on the Diplomacy check. [20]
    Last edited by Matamane; 2012-07-12 at 10:35 AM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

A thin man with tan features and shockingly white hair for his young face wearily approaches the scene. Politely pushing his way through the crowd, he goes up to the captain handing him his consultancy paper work and says in a bored sounding voice, "Here to do a magical sweep sir. The name's Talon, not sure if you've seen me at other crime scenes, but hopefully this is just another random killing."

Looking around at the crowd, Talon lets his eyes drift towards the magical spectrum. While he is always on the lookout for invisible assassins or thieves, or extraplanar wanderers, detecting magical auras for him was different.

After getting approval from the captain, Talon painstakingly combs over the scene in an ever widening search pattern (taking 20).
    Neutral Good Human Sorcerer (5th Level)
    <br><br><u>Ability Scores:</u><br>
    <b>Strength-</b>13<br>
    <b>Dexterity-</b>13<br>
    <b>Constitution-</b>13<br>
    <b>Intelligence-</b>18<br>
    <b>Wisdom-</b>13<br>
    <b>Charisma-</b>16
    <br><br><u>Alignment:</u><br><b>Neutral Good</b>
    <br><br>Find out <a href='http://www.easydamus.com/character.html' target='mt'>What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be?</a>, courtesy of Easydamus <a href='mailto:[email protected]'>(e-mail)</a><br><br>

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    For the first time all day, a smile creeps across the half-orc's face. "Finally, someone who may have actually seen something. Did you get a good look at this person? We've got a gaggle of midgets in this city: gnomes, dwarves, halflings...any idea what you saw?" The Watchman flips open his notepad and begins to scrawl a few notes.
    In contrast, the courier frowns. Felix was relatively sure the officer did not often have good moods and was a little hesitant to spoil this one. "Not seen something, exactly. It was a deliberate attempt to avoid you, however." Here, his voice dropped almost to a whisper. Felix's job required quite a bit of discretion, and he had long since learned the value of keeping things quiet. "The cloaked person left because the old man had discovered a body and was about to call the Watch. Whoever they were, they outright said as much."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

The watchman doesn't see Aliastra approach. One moment he is taking a statement from a witness, and the next, a dark-haired woman is standing right beside him, wrapped in a cloak of green and gold, holding in an outstretched hand a letter authorizing her participation in the investigation. She does not say a single word to the half-orc, nor does she acknowledge his presence with a nod or gesture of greeting. Instead, her cold green eyes meet his for only the briefest of moments before focusing on the closed doors behind him.

10. - Top - End - #10

"I've been hired by the watch as a private consultant. I though I was expected. Feel free to check with your supervisor if you don't believe me."
    A bit of concern creeps over Jark's face. "Hey, listen, no need to involve the Sergeant," he proffers. "I didn't know you were on the books--thought you were just a hobbyist with a magnifying glass. We've got to make sure the riffraff doesn't contaminate the scene, you know?" He chortles softly. "Look, just show me your papers and then head on in. Supposed to run through Sarge, but he's busy with another consultant. I'll never understand why Rose double-books so many of you guys..." He nods slightly and steps aside, just enough to let you pass before he steps back in front of the door to block out any others.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomokun View Post
    A thin man with tan features and shockingly white hair for his young face wearily approaches the scene. Politely pushing his way through the crowd, he goes up to the captain handing him his consultancy paper work and says in a bored sounding voice, "Here to do a magical sweep sir. The name's Talon, not sure if you've seen me at other crime scenes, but hopefully this is just another random killing."

Looking around at the crowd, Talon lets his eyes drift towards the magical spectrum. While he is always on the lookout for invisible assassins or thieves, or extraplanar wanderers, detecting magical auras for him was different.
    "Mm-hmm, straight through, tech," the sergeant mumbles from behind his cigar. You vaguely recall the sergeant from a previous scene, but he doesn't seem to have the same recollection of you. However, judging by the fact that he's only speaking to his own men, he seems not to care too much about the other people the Watch might send as a one-off.

Scanning the crowd, you sense only the normal cacophony of low-powered auras that litter the streets in Sharn: a few illusion auras from the storefront displays, abjurations designed to keep out thieves over almost every door, and the low buzz of personal wards and items on the crowd that slowly inches by, squeezed shoulder-to-shoulder. The colors of each aura pulse and fade; detecting magic in the streets of Sharn was always a noisy affair, but there was no noise outside the norm today.

In contrast, the courier frowns. Felix was relatively sure the officer did not often have good moods and was a little hesitant to spoil this one. "Not seen something, exactly. It was a deliberate attempt to avoid you, however." Here, his voice dropped almost to a whisper. Felix's job required quite a bit of discretion, and he had long since learned the value of keeping things quiet. "The cloaked person left because the old man had discovered a body and was about to call the Watch. Whoever they were, they outright said as much."
    Jark looks intensely interested as he scribbles feverishly on his pad. "He said?...Holy--" He slams shut his notepad and runs over to where the Sergeant is standing. From where you stand, you can hear him beaming: "Hot lead, Sarge!" However, he is cut off as the sergeant begins to berate him for leaving his post. Still, you are alone in front of the unguarded door, and a second peek could afford you a better look at the scene. Neither the sergeant nor Jark are looking back in your direction.

Quote Originally Posted by rypt View Post
    The watchman doesn't see Aliastra approach. One moment he is taking a statement from a witness, and the next, a dark-haired woman is standing right beside him, wrapped in a cloak of green and gold, holding in an outstretched hand a letter authorizing her participation in the investigation. She does not say a single word to the half-orc, nor does she acknowledge his presence with a nod or gesture of greeting. Instead, her cold green eyes meet his for only the briefest of moments before focusing on the closed doors behind him.
    Jark responds in similar silence, though it's unclear whether it's a measure of professional courtesy or silent aggression. He simply waves you over to the Sergeant, who sees the letter is signed by Captain Nightbreeze himself and also waves you in the door without a word.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-07-13 at 06:26 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11

HalflingPirate

"Sergeant Tenpenny." It wasn't a question. Berthalt lost none of his confidence as he addressed the senior watchman. "Khlorsec Berthalt, consulting detective. I was hired recently, but the message I received this morning said that someone--I believe her name was Rose--was sending my papers directly here. I'm sure the Captain will appreciate it if I can see the scene before it is disturbed. Hopefully it isn't too late." The impatience in Khlorsec's voice implied there would be consequences if it was too late.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

"Sergeant Tenpenny." It wasn't a question. Berthalt lost none of his confidence as he addressed the senior watchman. "Khlorsec Berthalt, consulting detective. I was hired recently, but the message I received this morning said that someone--I believe her name was Rose--was sending my papers directly here. I'm sure the Captain will appreciate it if I can see the scene before it is disturbed. Hopefully it isn't too late." The impatience in Khlorsec's voice implied there would be consequences if it was too late.
    Rolled Bluff for you

The sergeant shoots you daggers with his eyes as you bark his name, and all laughing and merriment in his semi-circle stops immediately. "Scuse me, citizen?" he asks with a look of derision on his face. "If I believed every yahoo that called himself a detective, we'd have more gumshoes in that scene than halflings in a tavern. Nothing for you to see here."

One of his senior officers scratches the back of his head and chimes in: "Gee Al, his story kinda checks out...not just any two-bit would know who Rose is, or that she's been forgetting stuff on account of her family stuff." The captain doesn't break his eye contact with you for a fierce second, but then nods gruffly. He goes back to chatting with the other officers, but the one who spoke up in your defense opens the door for you and follows behind you. As soon as the door closes, his sheepish coutenance drops and he rasps, "I don't give two sprigs of dreamlily who you are, but I know you're no consult. If you want to see that scene, it'll cost. Fifty gold, citizen."
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-07-13 at 09:49 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: Outside Kolare's Apothecary--Cassan Bridge, Middle Menthis Plateau

A bit of concern creeps over Jark's face.
    "Mm-hmm, straight through, tech," the sergeant mumbles from behind his cigar. You vaguely recall the sergeant from a previous scene, but he doesn't seem to have the same recollection of you. However, judging by the fact that he's only speaking to his own men, he seems not to care too much about the other people the Watch might send as a one-off.

Scanning the crowd, you sense only the normal cacophony of low-powered auras that litter the streets in Sharn: a few illusion auras from the storefront displays, abjurations designed to keep out thieves over almost every door, and the low buzz of personal wards and items on the crowd that slowly inches by, squeezed shoulder-to-shoulder. The colors of each aura pulse and fade; detecting magic in the streets of Sharn was always a noisy affair, but there was no noise outside the norm today.
    Satisfied with the crowd, Talon enters the crime scene (taking 20
    0) as he examines the body and the surrounding area. Seeing the other consultants and detectives entering the scene, Talon also takes the time to introduce himself and offer his expertise should they come across anything that doesn't make sense.

He says to each in turn, before going back to his task, "The name's Talon, general planar and arcane expert, good at doing sweeps from magic. If you need anything just let me know."
    Last edited by Tomokun; 2012-07-13 at 11:57 AM.
    <b>Strength-</b>13<br>
    <b>Dexterity-</b>13<br>
    <b>Wisdom-</b>13<br>
    <b>Charisma-</b>16
    <br><br>Find out <a href='http://www.easydamus.com/character.html' target='mt'>What Kind of Dungeons and Dragons Character Would You Be?</a>, courtesy of Easydamus <a href='mailto:[email protected]'>(e-mail)</a><br><br>

14. - Top - End - #14

HalflingPirate

Rolled Bluff for you

The sergeant shoots you daggers with his eyes as you bark his name, and all laughing and merriment in his semi-circle stops immediately. "Scuse me, citizen?" he asks with a look of derision on his face. "If I believed every yahoo that called himself a detective, we'd have more gumshoes in that scene than halflings in a tavern. Nothing for you to see here."

One of his senior officers scratches the back of his head and chimes in: "Gee Al, his story kinda checks out...not just any two-bit would know who Rose is, or that she's been forgetting stuff on account of her family stuff." The captain doesn't break his eye contact with you for a fierce second, but then nods gruffly. He goes back to chatting with the other officers, but the one who spoke up in your defense opens the door for you and follows behind you. As soon as the door closes, his sheepish coutenance drops and he rasps, "I don't give two sprigs of dreamlily who you are, but I know you're no consult. If you want to see that scene, it'll cost. Fifty gold, citizen."
    Khlorsec smiles, revealing his teeth, "I believe twenty is standard. But, you stuck your neck out back there, so I'll go twenty-five. In addition, it would be nice to know the right person to go through, in case I ever have difficulty with my paperwork again." The detective hoped the prospect of future payments would temper the watchman's greed.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC:Hopefully there is a circumstance modifier in here somewhere:

Diplomacy(1d20-1)[4]
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

Devil

"Let's get down to business", Rayne mutters to himself as he enters the crime scene. He gives it a quick once over, then he gets to work.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to make an Investigate check. I could take 10, but I think I'm due for a good roll.
    Last edited by Matamane; 2012-07-13 at 03:01 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Devil

Spoiler
    Show
    Investigate: (1d20+15)[32]

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felix knew an opportunity when he saw one. The Watch may have been on the case, but the courier was not about to sit idle while a murderer was on the loose. Who knew, perhaps he might be able to offer some insights on the investigation (by anonymous tip, of course). Besides, if he got caught, he had saved up enough gold for whatever exorbitant fee they charged to have a look at the scene.

Not that he planned on paying. Felix padded softly inside.

Spoiler
    Show
    Move silently: (1d20+9)[22]

18. - Top - End - #18

Felix knew an opportunity when he saw one. The Watch may have been on the case, but the courier was not about to sit idle while a murderer was on the loose. Who knew, perhaps he might be able to offer some insights on the investigation (by anonymous tip, of course). Besides, if he got caught, he had saved up enough gold for whatever exorbitant fee they charged to have a look at the scene.

Not that he planned on paying. Felix padded softly inside.
    Your footsteps fade into the din of the city the second you move; both Jark and the Sergeant are too busy to notice you stepping through the open door to the apothecary. Inside, the shop floor is eerily silent, but you can hear sounds coming from the back stockroom--most likely the scene of the crime, and clearly where the consultants you saw earlier were gathered.

Khlorsec smiles, revealing his teeth, "I believe twenty is standard. But, you stuck your neck out back there, so I'll go twenty-five. In addition, it would be nice to know the right person to go through, in case I ever have difficulty with my paperwork again." The detective hoped the prospect of future payments would temper the watchman's greed.
    The crooked guard sucks in air through his teeth. "Tsk, no time to drive a bargain, citizen. Still, I like your style. Consider it a first-time buyer discount. And remember, if you ever require further assistance, Officer Sherman is your friendly neighborhood watchman." He salutes, and lets his hand linger in the air just long enough for you to fill with gold. He pockets the coins, turns on his heel, and steps back out to rejoin his comrades.

OOC: This brings the whole group together at the scene of the crime. Expect a post on Monday morning describing it.

19. - Top - End - #19

Default Kolare's Apothecary--Cassan Bridge, Middle Menthis Plateau

As you enter the rear stockroom, your sense of smell is assaulted by various perfumes, potables, and other mixtures. There is one unmistakable aroma, however, that fights for your attention like the perfume of a working girl in Firelight. The singular stench of death lingers in the air, reminding you all why you have come. The room is in disarray as there has been a struggle, but no amount of clutter can confuse the fact that there is a dead body in the middle of the room. An elven girl--her light skin and dark, soft features must have made her resemble a ghost even while living. The bruise across the width of her neck clears up any misconceptions; this girl was clearly strangled to death. On the side of her neck, all of you notice something unmistakable: the victim bore a dragonmark.

Knowledge (Arcana) DC 15 to open:
    Spoiler
    Show
    More specifically, the victim bore the Mark of Shadow, a sign of one of the two elven houses: Phiarlan or Thuranni.

Knowledge (Nobility) DC 10 to open:
    Spoiler
    Show
    More specifically, the victim bore the Mark of Shadow, a sign of one of the two elven houses: Phiarlan or Thuranni.

Spellcraft DC 20 to open:
    Spoiler
    Show
    To be exact, this is the Lesser Mark of Shadow, and this particular mark bestowed the power of Scrying once per day. This mark is currently warm to the touch, meaning that its powers have been used up for the day.

On the floor beneath the body, tendrils of chalk swing out in all directions. Some of you catch vague glimpses of familiar dragonmarks within the odd chalk pattern, but it looks more like a child's amalgamation of all the dragonmarks scrawled together on a sidewalk than anything coherent.

Draconic speakers only:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Since you speak Draconic, you recognize the pattern as being very similar to an archaic and beautiful form of Draconic calligraphy. This art form was very precise, and relied on exact figures--one wrong loop could change the entire meaning of a word. Most of the shape does not seem to form any coherent words from what you can see; the visible shapes are very close to the old Draconic spellings of many different words. Part of the diagram, however, extends beneath the corpse.

OOC: Think of the it much like arabic calligraphy--traditionally a circle, but there can be very ornate pictures and patterns composed entirely of calligraphied writings.

The scene is hush with the macabre silence of the corpse--immune still from the hustle and bustle of nosy journalists, the members of the watch, and even old Kolare himself. The next few minutes may be the only ones you have with the undisturbed crime scene. Use them wisely.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-07-17 at 05:53 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Devil

"Talon, could you come here for a moment? I could use your expertise. I've uncovered a few things of note, but my knowledge of the art is lacking. Please find me when you have the chance. I'll be speaking to the eyewitnesses if you need me."

Rayne calls over a member of the watch who appears to have a bit of muscle and asks him to try and unclench the victim's hand.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm going to call upon Talon to help me identify the more arcane aspects of the crime scene. I'm going to do a few things here, but nothing should take too long. I don't know how long IC we're going to have, but I'm going to give myself about 2 hours IC to complete my investigation. First, I'm going to make a Knowledge (Local) check to determine who the victim was. I'm also going to make a Search check to do so. Then I'm going to make another Search check to see anything which would connect the victim to the scene of the crime, along with a Knowledge (Local) check to find something relevant about the scene of the crime in relation to the victim.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (Local) check for the victim (1d20+12)[28]
    Search check to find something to identify victim (1d20+11)[28]
    Knowledge (Local) check for scene of the crime (1d20+12)[21]
    Search check to find something to relate victim to the scene of the crime (1d20+11)[19]

Spoiler
    Show
    Based on what my checks yield, I'll give my Gather Information checks more focus. For now I'll just make one check to ask what they've seen. Note that it only takes me 1d4*10 minutes to make a Gather Information check.

Gather Information (1d20+10)[16]
    Last edited by Matamane; 2012-07-16 at 09:02 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21

RedWizardGuy

Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+7)[9]Arcana
    (1d20+1)[20]Nobility
    (1d20+8)[10]Spellcraft

Talon walks over amiably saying, "Sure, what can I help you with?" He'll explain what he can already tell about the markings based off his knowledge of nobility and his fluency in draconic finishing with, "Whatever this killer did, either no magic was involved or the magic has since dissipated...other than the marks you see here. We do need to move the corpse in order to the rest of these marking however."

Questions for DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    Upon seeing the rest of the markings, do they have any ritualistic purpose? Is the LACK of magic from the victim's dragon mark unusual?
    Last edited by Tomokun; 2012-07-16 at 10:57 AM.
    <b>Strength-</b>13<br>
    <b>Dexterity-</b>13<br>
    <b>Wisdom-</b>13<br>
    <b>Charisma-</b>16

22. - Top - End - #22

HalflingPirate

Berthalt examines the corpse, murmuring to himself, "Half-elf just like Nailo. And dragonmarked to boot. Phiarlan or Thuranni." He estimates her height and weight, and sizes up her injuries. The detective touches her mark. "Hmm. Warm. She was scrying recently. Spying?" After he finishes with the body, he turns his attention to the marks on the floor, and then the surrounding mess. Overhearing the others, he remarks, "Yes, it would be wonderful if you gents could move the body."

Rolls and Questions for the DM:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Taking 10 on the three checks to open the spoilers.
    KArcana 19, KNobility 15 to find out about the dragonmark., and Spellcraft 22 to ID the mark.

KLocal (1d20+9)[28] to ID the body. Also, was Nailo Dragonmarked, or from one of the houses, even if unmarked? Were there any draconic markings found near her body? Were all of the other victims, elf or half-elf, or just these two?

Healing check (1d20-1)[5] to evaluate the cause of death, etc. If he overheard that bit earlier about a short fellow, Khlorsec will look to see if she was strangled from below or above. Does it look like she was strangled here. If elsewhere, was the body dropped, or arranged?

KArcana: (1d20+9)[22] to investigate the calligraphy -- waiting until they move the body if that seems eminent.
    Spellcraft: (1d20+12)[27] In case it is at all magical.

Search: (1d20+4)[5] Looking for other clues near the body. Does it appear that she is missing anything? Like, would she need the mirror for her scrying, or something?

If any of the questions I've asked require skill rolls I didn't make, let me know, or feel free to make them for me.

Last edited by dextercorvia; 2012-07-16 at 02:44 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23

Default Kolare's Apothecary--Cassan Bridge, Middle Menthis Plateau

A nearby watchman comes into the room at Rayne's beckoning and opens the corpses hand. As he exerts force on it, you hear the sicking popping sound of the deadlocked bones breaking. "Wasn't me," the guard grunts with a nonchalant shrug. As the victim's hand uncurls, a small vial of sky-blue liquid rolls out and onto the floor: clearly a potion of some stripe.

Spellcraft DC 25 to open:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The sky-blue color comes from the Cerulean Root, or "Cloudless Sky" as it's known on the street. It is an extract used in the preparation of Modify Memory, though this seems to be a weaker version that allows it to be delivered in a potable form.

As Rayne ventures out into the street, you hear the din of the crowd crash in like a wave on Cliffside. The journalists have come, greedy savages. Some members of the Watch are attempting to rope off the storefront to keep the crowd out, but the inquisitive ventures bravely into the fray.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-07-16 at 04:54 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24

Devil

After 20 minutes Rayne walks back in. "That was a waste of time...have they moved the body yet?" Rayne scans the room looking for an answer before letting out a huge yawn. He then proceeds to circle the room, occasionally stopping to speak to some of the other people investigating the scene of the crime.

Spoiler
    Show
    Do we know if there has been a string of murders? If so, have I been given any information regarding any previous murders? Also, what does my contract with the watch entail? Am I expected to report my findings? Will I be doing follow-ups?

Rayne approaches Talon. "By any chance could you identify this substance? It was found clenched in the victim's hand".

Eventually, Rayne walks up to Berthalt. "And who are you exactly?"
    Last edited by Matamane; 2012-07-16 at 06:27 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

RedWizardGuy

Taking a while to look at the substance, and making reference to some of the items in the shop,
    Spoiler
    Show
    Took 20, giving me a 28
    Talon replies to Rayne, "It looks like Cerulean root, a component in a modify memory potion, or at least, the extract of the root is. That's where it gets it's color, and it's street name, Cloudless Sky."

More questions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Can I figure out what she was working on? Does she have a registry of items she sold, a list of clients? Was there money taken? Was there an inventory list available?
    <b>Strength-</b>13<br>
    <b>Dexterity-</b>13<br>
    <b>Wisdom-</b>13<br>
    <b>Charisma-</b>16

26. - Top - End - #26

RedWizardGuy

Walking over to Koralen, Talon asks, "Do we know who the owner of the shop is? Also, as evidence is being collected, I'd like to keep an eye out for an inventory list, as well as a possible customer list or ledger."

After talking with Koralen a bit more, Talon takes out some parchment and ink, and begins to precisely copy the marking on the floor very precisely.
    <b>Strength-</b>13<br>
    <b>Dexterity-</b>13<br>
    <b>Wisdom-</b>13<br>
    <b>Charisma-</b>16

27. - Top - End - #27

HalflingPirate

Eventually, Rayne walks up to Berthalt. "And who are you exactly?"
    "Khlorsec Berthalt." he says absently while studying the scene. He continues to think aloud as he reexamines the diagram, "The Chosen...The Cyre...The Catastrophy...The What, dammit?"

Disgusted, he pulls a book from his satchel and opens it to a blank page. Berthalt casts a quick spell over the mark. The calligraphic writings on the floor begin to appear on the open page. Clearly this is going to require further study.

Belatedly, he realizes that the official consultant from outside had been speaking to him. Ren, Rail, what was his name?When the spell has concluded, he turns and says to everyone, "I am the fellow that is going to buy you gents drinks when we are all done here. I expect you will want to compare notes. Khlorsec seems awkward as he makes his invitation, as though he is unused to extending such an offer, to anyone. He adds, "Especially considering who that is," indicating the corpse.

DM
    Spoiler
    Show
    I assume Amanuensis is kosher. We have established that it is non magical writing.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2012-07-16 at 08:33 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"I am Allanon, scholar from the land of Aerenal. I was here when the body was first discovered. There was no magic then, but I judge that the body had been dead for about three hours already. Most magic would not linger that long. There were no secret doors build into the room. It is usual for the Mark of Shadow to manifest in a half elf. They normally bear the Mark of Storm. Do we know anything about the other killings committed in a similar fashion by the so called "Strangler". That could help us establish a pattern.

29. - Top - End - #29

Devil

Rayne looks quizzically at Berthalt. "From what I've gathered, her name was Sheila Turnipseed. What's so important about her?"

30. - Top - End - #30

HalflingPirate

Khlorsec laughed. "You've been had my new friend. Praytell, which of the mighty dragonmarked houses is Turnipseed?" The detective gestured at the dead woman's face. He thought for a moment, and then blurted. "Although, maybe it wasn't you who was taken in. Who told you that?"

He snapped his book shut and stashed it in his satchel,"Tell me man, where are they now?".
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show