New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Default Re: Murder Betwixt the Towers [Eberron 3.5 Noir] IC

"Allanon, you worry too much. You can't let a little thing like the possible ire of the heads of two of the houses get in the way of a good puzzle. The problem I see is that we have three perfectly solid leads, and not a damn one has a bit to do with any of the past strangler cases." Khlorsec intended to sip his tea, but it was already gone.

"Still, with nothing else to go on, which do you want to check out first? I'm a book man, myself."
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

"Better safe than sorry." Rayne mentions as he enters the room. He looks at his companions and asks "So...are we going to compare notes, or are we just going to sit around waiting for tea?"

3. - Top - End - #93
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"So far we have the connection to the two dragonmarked houses, the symbol, and the strangler. The symbol had a connection to the House Thuranni, and the part that connected to the House Cannith could mean Cyre, Chosen, Catasrophe, or Centuries. Two of those reference Cyre and thus link back to Cannith. Then there is this romance, which is apparently connected but was probably of lesser importance or a front.
    Then there was this bit about the victim having been scying. . . I wonder. . ."
    Allanon pauses and appears to be considering a possibility.
    Last edited by Leonardo; 2012-08-27 at 05:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94

Default Talon's Place--Forgelight Towers, Lower Menthis Plateau

From one of the upper floors, you hear the sound of shattering glass and a squawking pterodactyl. After a few tonal sounds noticed by Halfling speakers as profanities, you hear Mrs. Tweddle call out "No worries, dearies, I'm quite alright! Damn it Farnsworth, quit flapping!" Any who are worried about the landlady's prying ears have their fears assuaged by the cacaphony; she is clearly too busy with her own matters to do any eavesdropping.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaz View Post
    Ponies, the Kim Karsdashian of GITP.
    This is what happens when they let me DM:
    Beyond the Horizon IC / OOC
    A Time to Die: Alpha IC / Bravo IC / OOC

5. - Top - End - #95
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"We have the entirety of what she wrote, right?" Felix asks. "I think our first priority should be getting a clear idea of what Esmerelda's message was. It's our best chance of learning the reason she was killed." The task would probably be less complicated than getting in touch with the local head of House Cannith. Not to mention the fact that the characters on a piece of paper would be more forthcoming with answers than a person.

6. - Top - End - #96

HalflingPirate

Yes. I have it right here. As much as I chided his caution earlier, Allanon has the right of it, so far as I can see. I also vote that we look into the script. Does anyone have a contact at Morgrave?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #97

Default Talon's Place--Forgelight Towers, Lower Menthis Plateau

The Design

As you all pore over the oddly beautiful Draconic calligraphy, most of the shapes are alien to your untrained eyes--even those of you who can read the language are more versed in its traditional modern script, and recognize the possibility of endless words in each. If Kolare is to be trusted, the victim lacked the command of Draconic required to create such an image. If the killer was trying to send a message, their intention was obscured like a whisper in a hurricane.

The only two words that seem clear are the shapes that resemble House Cannith's Mark of Making and House Thuranni's Mark of Shadow. The form of Thuranni's symbol is so elementary that it can't be anything but the article "the," whereas the Mark of Making leaves more room for interpretation. Some of its twists seem to fork in different directions, and the form was marred as if erased and re-written many times over. Because of this, it could read as Cyre, catastrophe, chosen, or centuries; it would require an expert opinion to tell anything more. The possibilities point to prophetic language..could this be the text of the mysterious Draconic Prophecy itself?

The text you've been able to decode so far:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-08-29 at 08:24 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"First, let us assume that both houses have something to hide in this an they will not talk willingly. House Thurranni are experts at that sort of thing. I also do not thing the Esmerelda drew the symbol. Not because the apothecary said so, but I checked her fingertips and saw no signs of having drawn with chalk, no chalkdust. I think we need more information on the symbol and the Strangeler. Who among you have connections to the watch? I think that you should check up on the Strangeler while I and anyone else with scholarly backround discover more about this symbol."
    Allanon waits to hear reaction to his plan.

9. - Top - End - #99

HalflingPirate

I agree that just barging into one of the Houses is unlikely to get us anywhere we want to go. That sounds like a reasonable alternative. As I said earlier, I would rather look into the diagram. My official connections aren't what they could be.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Allanon nods and then looks to the rest of the group.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Agreed." A slight smile plays about the courier's face. "It's considerably more difficult for a diagram to lie to us. Now, I've heard you can use the library at Morgrave University for a certain fee. Suppose we start our investigation there."

12. - Top - End - #102
    Barbarian in the Playground

Devil

Rayne nods in agreement

13. - Top - End - #103

Default Upper Menthis Plateau--Morgrave University

Your footsteps echo through the marble halls of Morgrave University as you move towards the library, bouncing off the columns on the walls until they seem like they're coming from every direction. The vaulted ceilings causes the sound to reverberate with every step until you set foot in the library. The architecture is the same, but you foot falls without a sound.

In fact, every sound is muted within the walls of the library. Shelves filled with books rise up multiple stories to the high ceilings, and there are creatures of all stripes perusing the stacks. At a large mahogany desk before you, a young gnomish woman sits arched over a scroll. She peers through tiny reading glasses at the text before her but raises her eyes to peer over her spectacles as you arrive. Her mouth doesn't move, but all of you hear a voice in your head:

Good afternoon, dears. Can I help you find something?

14. - Top - End - #104
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"I must speak to Reglas Ignelia. This is very important."

15. - Top - End - #105

The librarian makes a face, as though she had just chewed on something very sour. This is a library, she scolds, Please keep your voices down if you lack the capacity for telepathic conversation. I'll page Dr. Ignelia. The woman presses a button hidden deep beneath the stacks of manuscripts on her desk, and in seconds an old elf stands before you. He raises an eyebrow, which asks the question without saying a word: why have you bothered me?

16. - Top - End - #106
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Where I come from, Allanon thinks to himself, librarians are scholars instead of nuances. I wonder if all of them in this land are like this, he ponders, remembering the Loremasters of Aerenal.
    Allanon had much experience dealing with reclusive scholars.
    He pulls out the parchment onto which his spell had copied the pattern. He gives it to Reglas Ignelia wordlessly. He waits for him to look at it for a moment, then "Is there a place we can talk?"
    Last edited by Leonardo; 2012-09-21 at 03:28 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107

HalflingPirate

Khlorsec stood just behind Allanon, his jaw set to prevent the impatience he felt from spilling out and ruining their chances of securing this man's help. Still, the private investigator fumed at the derision in the librarian's message as well as the scholar's irritation at their presence. His frustration was as apparent in his glowering stare as it would have been had he unclenched his jaw. Had he been more self-aware, Berthalt would have realized that the very traits he deplored in others were the same ones that caused him so much trouble in his own interactions.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felix had the bad feeling he was about to be landed out of his depth. Despite what he knew, the courier had been unable to understand the message at all. And he couldn't see what a book on Aerenal had to do with it. He decides, however, any further questions can wait until they have some place to work in private.

19. - Top - End - #109

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Where I come from, Allanon thinks to himself, librarians are scholars instead of nuances. I wonder if all of them in this land are like this, he ponders, remembering the Loremasters of Aerenal.
    Allanon had much experience dealing with reclusive scholars.
    He pulls out the parchment onto which his spell had copied the pattern. He gives it to Reglas Ignelia wordlessly. He waits for him to look at it for a moment, then "Is there a place we can talk?"
    The librarian looks at Allanon with a wry smile. And where I come from, she scolds silently, Most folks know that telepathy works both ways. If you're interested, my scholarly writings on the Day of Mourning can be found in row 8973C. As Reglas appears, she returns to her reading.

When Allanon shows Reglas the pattern, the elf's eyes widen with interest. As the young wizard opens his mouth to ask if there's a place they can talk, he finds himself suddenly in Dr. Ignelia's office. The group looks around at the shelves overflowing with Draconic texts. His surroundings make it clear that he is the preeminent Draconic scholar on campus. The elf's eyes don't leave the parchment, and he asks, "Fascinating! Where did you find this?"
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-09-24 at 07:24 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110

HalflingPirate

It was scrawled in chalk on the floor shopkeeper's back room. We were hired to find out, among other things, who might have written it. Some thought it was a threat, but a couple of us figured out that the draconic calligraphy was similar to that contained in a certain prophecy. What can you tell us about it?
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Felix whispers to Allanon. "And what of the messenger who brought this to our attention?" He dared not say more. What they knew was dangerous. But it could be significant to learning the meaning behind the writing.

22. - Top - End - #112

The scholar looks at you with disbelief. "Scrawled in chalk?" he asks, then before anyone can form an answer follows up with "What can I tell you?" A palpable silence hangs in the air for a moment.

"What can't I tell you of the Draconic Prophecy? I've written volumes on scraps far less complete than this, and you found it dashed out like some arithmetic equation...in CHALK? Fascinating!" Reglas goes to his shelves and begins pulling down scroll after scroll. He hands them to you as he goes, and each reeks of centuries of storage in libraries and universities much like this one. Every ancient scroll contains a copy of various shreds of the image you found in Kolare's shop.

"These were the most complete illustrations of the Prophecy...before today," he says excitedly. Due to their incomplete nature, there has been debate about the source and meaning of this text that predates your eldest ancestors. But now--" he interrupts himself to jot down some notes, and the flurry of activity in the office is enough to make you dizzy. "Now we can translate it in mere moments. Let's see here..." the elf reaches for his spectacles and holds them up to the bridge of his nose in order to read the symbols around the design. "Truly fascinating..." the elf mumbles a few things to himself while scribing his translation, and concludes in the same flurry of activity in which he began. He clears his throat and reads aloud:

"God's chosen king shall join many veering paths to lead the deathless one. This is unbelievable. Granted, there's a whole field of study about to be born surrounding the interpretation of these words, but to be the man who uncovered the words themselves...There is much work to be done if we're to publish this finding quickly!" He runs back to his shelves, now blind to your presence in his euphoria.

The Design (Decoded)
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-10-06 at 07:01 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113

HalflingPirate

The message was simple, but cryptic, like most prophecy. That wasn't what caught Khlorsec's attention, however. It was this man' interest and fervor at reviewing the document. Khlorsec saw a way to more than cover the incidental expenses they had incurred so far, and he went for it. None of us are scholars in this area. A discovery of this sort will be much better received if it comes from a distinguished member of the field. Perhaps it would be best if you were to purchase the rights to a copy of this document and to all scholarly interests pertaining therein. It is worth more, and I haven't had a chance to discuss it with the others, but I think we would be willing to accept 500 golds and a list of the most likely people who could have drawn this. Berthalt was not the most able negotiator, but he knew when he had the advantage.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2012-10-07 at 03:13 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #114
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"Can you offer any insight into what the phrase means?" Already Allanon was cogitating a myriad of possibilities, none of which he allowed to surface in his mind for fear of prying mind-readers. "Also, this seems to be from a monotheisic cult. Perhaps the Dragon Above or Below. Interesting."
    Last edited by Leonardo; 2012-10-07 at 03:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by dextercorvia View Post
    None of us are scholars in this area. A discovery of this sort will be much better received if it comes from a distinguished member of the field. Perhaps it would be best if you were to purchase the rights to a copy of this document and to all scholarly interests pertaining therein. It is worth more, and I haven't had a chance to discuss it with the others, but I think we would be willing to accept 500 golds and a list of the most likely people who could have drawn this.
    The scholar pauses, confused by your suggestion. "Well, of course you'd get publishing credit alongside myself," he nods. "No need to discuss prices, as who could really put a price on bringing such knowledge to the world?" He rests his head on his hand as he mulls over the implications of your statement before adding, "Unless you're saying you'd withhold the information if I didn't pay. Surely you're not such ruffians? Regardless," he says as he hastily dashes out a check, "take this to Kundarak's bank three blocks South of here, and they'll be able to cash it for you. My signature's as good as coin in your hand."

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    "Can you offer any insight into what the phrase means?" Already Allanon was cogitating a myriad of possibilities, none of which he allowed to surface in his mind for fear of prying mind-readers. "Also, this seems to be from a monotheisic cult. Perhaps the Dragon Above or Below. Interesting."
    "Mhm, yes, fascinating indeed," the scholar says with a small laugh. "However, I am but a translator...the meaning is sure to be debated for generations to come. It is interesting, though, that each character so closely resembles the Dragonmarked Houses. Do you think they may have some role in the fulfillment of the Prophecy?"

26. - Top - End - #116

HalflingPirate

"No, not ruffians my good sir. I recognize the value this will add to your field, and want nothing more than to see it go to good purpose. It's just that there is customarily a finder's fee for a discovery like this." Khlorsec soft peddled his pitch as the scholar dashed of the note of exchequer.

After carefully folding the note and stashing it in his jacket pockte, Berthalt rejoined the speculative discussion. "Many Veering Paths is about as apt a description as any of the houses taken as a whole."
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2012-10-07 at 10:34 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #117

"Many Veering Paths is about as apt a description as any of the houses taken as a whole."
    "Mmm, quite..." Reglas says with a small chuckle. "As for the author of this message, I haven't the foggiest who could have written it. The script is most definitely of Argonnessen, but I don't know of any scalyfolk wandering around the shops of Sharn. You found it at an apothecary's, did you? Pray tell, what were you all doing there? And why is one word--a simple article, of all things--written in bolder face than the rest?"

Sense Motive DC 15 to open:
    Spoiler
    Show
    He may know more about the possible author than he's letting on.
    Last edited by OMG PONIES; 2012-10-08 at 06:56 AM.

28. - Top - End - #118
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

"It is probably bolder because the woman we found murdered in the back of the apothecary was of the House Thuranni. It is doubtful, however, that she wrote it. We may wish to hold off publishing this until we are sure that such a thing will not get us killed. Which house does the word deathless resemble?"
    Last edited by Leonardo; 2012-10-08 at 02:06 PM.

29. - Top - End - #119

HalflingPirate

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    The script is most definitely of Argonnessen, but I don't know of any scalyfolk wandering around the shops of Sharn.
    "Has anyone from Sharn attempted the trip to Argonnessen? Perhaps to learn about the..." Berthalt had just begun to interrupt when he heard the next part.

Quote Originally Posted by OMG PONIES View Post
    You found it at an apothecary's, did you?
    Khlorsec looked down his nose, directly into eye of the scholarly elf. "You sir, were the first to mention anything about an apothecary. What do you know, and what are you withholding? As my colleague says, we are investigating a murder. Such secrecy could paint you in a most unfavorable light.
    Last edited by dextercorvia; 2012-10-09 at 12:16 PM.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    This is brilliant.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120

Khlorsec looked down his nose, directly into eye of the scholarly elf. "You sir, were the first to mention anything about an apothecary. What do you know, and what are you withholding? As my colleague says, we are investigating a murder. Such secrecy could paint you in a most unfavorable light.
    Reglas eyes Khlorsec with a stare that could curdle milk on the spot. "You'll mind both the tone and content of your comments, boy," the elf fumes, emphasizing the title for all the insult he can milk out of it. "What I know is that your compatriot" he says with a quick gesture toward Allanon, "just mentioned an apothecary. Mentioned a murder, too--a key fact on which you were tacit yourself. A less courteous man would chime in with something about pots and kettles at this point." He tightly winds the scroll he is holding, wringing it a bit to get rid of his frustration.

"I'll not be getting involved in any murders or conspiracies, much less one that involves the Houses. Once this mess has been cleaned up, feel free to return and we can talk about publication; you've my word that this information will stay in this room until such a time...though I'm loathe to sit on a discovery of this nature. Do try to resolve things quickly. Oh, and don't bother attempting to cash that cheque until we've come to an agreement vis a vis our findings. Now go! Every second you spend here is one not spent making history."