New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default 'Opportunity Knocks' IC.

The atmosphere has a general aura of excitement. This happens every few months, but the nobles meeting was a parade of sorts for the fisherman. The nobles do their best to make a show of the river crossing in each of their personal boats. Naturally Lord Sushon and Lady Grassrunner are the crowd favorites with brightly decorated and colorful designs. Others seem to be making somewhat of an effort to match that image, but not much. Many of the ships produce an aura of dignity and power.

Meanwhile, inside one of the many in-town taverns, it may as well be any other day. The usual tenants are drinking casually. A few of the stupider or richer citizens are playing blackjack and liars dice. The usual drunks are passed out in a puddle of their own vomit in the corner.

((Okay, introduce yourself wherever you want to be.))
    Spoiler
    Show

No I did not make my own banner, it was created by a very talented person who I've lost contact with.

I just started playing D&D, and love the game

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.
    STR:14
    DEX: 8
    CON: 10
    INT:13
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 16

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: 'Opportunity Knocks' IC.

The beer is especially ****ty today. Not surprised though. After all, a stupid human must've brewed it. Meh. I'd rather drink this than to touch the crappy excuse for a mead they serve.

Can't stand being outside the tavern anyway. Not today. Bunch of idiots in a festive mood... for what? Celebrating other people's riches? People that are rich thanks to their labors. Fools, all of them.

Well, I guess it's time for another beer. Running low on coin too, gotta replenish that soon.

"Hey, another mug of ale here!"

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Sitting in a dark corner of the tavern, i play absently my flute, trying to listen to the people's discussions in search of interesting news.

"I don't care about the boats parade: is such a poor thing, compared to the wonders of parties and banquets i had when i was with the Fairy Folks. I at least hope the innkeeper will offer to me some wine for my music!" i think, looking at the other customers.

The black wolf by my side bites some poor-quality pieces of meat, while sways his head following the rhytm of the song.
    Last edited by Solipso; 2012-07-11 at 12:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

@Asmerv: The bartender obliges and slides a mug full your way. Of course, he adds the additional charge to a scrap of paper.

@Solipso: A number of patrons are impressed enough by your playing that they toss a few coins your way. One kind patron even tosses half of a steak to your wolf.

Total amount: 7 Copper pieces and 3 silver.
    Spoiler
    Show

No I did not make my own banner, it was created by a very talented person who I've lost contact with.

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlackDragon

I sit alone at a table... Anyone want to arm wrestle? says head 1. I can take two people on at once. says head 2. And Barkeep... I'll have a mug of ale. both heads say in unison. ((Just to be clear, I am ordering 2 mugs of ale... one for each head.))
    Last edited by Eric Scott; 2012-07-11 at 06:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    You are quite possibly the best DM I have ever had.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

August's steel colored eyes remain transfixed on the boats as his horse, Johann, blows then shifts his weight. With minimal motion, August pats his steed's neck, then addresses his father. "The pageants have been going on longer than expected lately. It would seem the nobles feel a special need to display their feathers this year." He let's the implication of unpublicized political unrest go unspoken as his father looks from one boat to the next, comparing them to the performance of his own ruling duke, Lord Tunson.

August waits for a reply, but after receiving none for several seconds, he decides that his father isn't in the mood for idle banter. "Shall I accompany you to greet the Duke after he docks?"
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-07-12 at 07:59 AM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:
    For the Republic of Ishtar! A 5E Campaign

My PbP color is dark red.
    My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

Jormengand's Advice on Character Development

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

@Eric Scott: The bartender hands to mugs to a waitress and she delivers them to you. Meanwhile two drunk, but slightly larger than average fellows have made their way to the table. "We'll tashe that bet!" One slurs out. "How mush you wanna put on it?"

@Inexplorabletruth: Your father considers your words for a moment. "No. I'm not quite satisfied with your political training as you are. Soon but not today. Here." He hands you a purse of thirty silver pieces. "That should get you through a relatively fun day in town." The closest thing in your sight is a bar with a sign proclaiming "Pints of Ale, 1 copper piece!"
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

I pick my coins, thanking gratefully the crowd, while Faerydae jump on the steak.
    Suddenly, my attention is captured by the three big men betting on arm wrestling.
    "What the..."
    i think, at the sight of the two headed man.
    The other two guys are to drunk to have a chance to win, and the monstrous one seems...well, monstrously strong. The future is such foregone that putting my money on this gamble will be boring.
    "What an interesting twist! I'll offer two beers to whoever will win!"
    I say to the three, while i stand up from my dark corner.
    Last edited by Solipso; 2012-07-12 at 12:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9

BlackDragon

I take the ales and down them both at the same time... I'll match whatever bet you two are willing to make, up to a maximum of 400 gold pieces.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

August bristles slightly at being put in his place, but declines his head dutifully as he accepts the get-out-of-my-hair gift and replies softly with an edge to his tone, "As you wish, father."

August clicks the stirrups of his bored stallion, and the two back away from the Count and head toward the tavern. Trotting toward the stables at the tavern, he dismounts and approaches the stableboy, and flips a gold piece at him. "You there. I require feed and a private stall for my horse. Quality grains. This should cover twice the normal fee for that. I shall come to inspect him within the hour."

He turns to his horse and whispers softly into Johann's ear, stroking his neck. Then turns to the stableboy with a stern expression and snaps his fingers at him. "Why are you just standing there? Prepare his stall! I expect him to be groomed on my return as well."

Intimidate Check:
    Spoiler
    Show
    (1d20+9)[10]

With that, he turns on his heels and strides dictatorially towards the entrance to the tavern. He lets his boots clack against the wooden deck of the tavern as he strides in through the door, letting his cloak swing a bit for dramatic effect.

He surveys the room, sizing up the crowd assembled there.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive (Assess Opponent, Complete Adventurer pg. 102):
    (1d20-2)[8]

He will sit nearest the group of people that seem most comparable to his level, those that fit into the Fair Fight or Tough Challenge category, so presumably, those who have a similar HD, if his check is successful.)
    Last edited by inexorabletruth; 2012-07-12 at 12:35 PM.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    I am currently not a player in a game, and would be mostly interested in joining 5E games.
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

@Eriv: "Four hunderd? Loosh like your rich and shupid. We'll eash go in for fifty." They both toss a purse full of jingling coins and ready their arms on either side of you.

((Make two separate strength checks))

@Inexplorabletruth: The stable boy seems indifferent to the threats, but cash is cash. He leads your horse away to a grooming station.

As you enter the bar you see an enormous two headed dragonborn preparing to arm wrestle to burly men at once.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

12. - Top - End - #12

AssassinGuy

A feathery creature like a huge raven is perched in one corner of the bar, almost literally perching on his chair, nursing a drink and watching the room with sharp eyes. His eyes fix on those most impressive, on the shows of fine clothing, or gold, or even colored glass. If a thief, he is not a picky one.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

13. - Top - End - #13

BlackDragon

I can assure you... I'm not rich...

Str 1: (1d20+7)[25]

Str 2: (1d20+7)[24]

14. - Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

@appendingdoom: The bartender is watching you closely, but not saying anything. A few other patrons are also slipping some of their valuables into deeper pockets.

@Eric: Both men are slammed into the table. A well sized crack appears in it, but the table holds. Their was no contest to speak of. The both cry out in pain, and get leave indignantly, leaving your prize of a hundred gold behind. A few laughs come from the small crowd that has gathered.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

15. - Top - End - #15

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by newBlazingAngel View Post
    @appendingdoom: The bartender is watching you closely, but not saying anything. A few other patrons are also slipping some of their valuables into deeper pockets.

@Eric: Both men are slammed into the table. A well sized crack appears in it, but the table holds. Their was no contest to speak of. The both cry out in pain, and get leave indignantly, leaving your prize of a hundred gold behind. A few laughs come from the small crowd that has gathered.
    Anyone else want to try?

16. - Top - End - #16

AssassinGuy

The bird slips from his perch and wanders towards the table. Now standing, it is clear the creature is tiny and frail. It looks like a stiff breeze could knock it over. It stops by the table with the arm-wrestler. He looks speculatively at the arm-wrestler, but doesn't speak.
    Drew

This is for everyone who squints hard at stuff in the hope they'll spontaneously develop telekinesis.

17. - Top - End - #17

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by appending_doom View Post
    The bird slips from his perch and wanders towards the table. Now standing, it is clear the creature is tiny and frail. It looks like a stiff breeze could knock it over. It stops by the table with the arm-wrestler. He looks speculatively at the arm-wrestler, but doesn't speak.
    Hello there... Can I interest you in 100 gp?

18. - Top - End - #18

AssassinGuy

"Certainly." The bird reaches out for the nearest gold pieces, the familiar gleam in his eyes as he focuses on the gold.
    Drew

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

MonkGuy

August heads over to the bar. "A glass of port," he orders dismissively, never taking his eyes off the hulking two-headed monstrosity challenging people to an arm wrestling competition. A bemused smirk tugs at the corner of his lips as he sees the raptoran accept the challenge, and he mumbles something that apparently amuses himself.
    PbP Junk and Stuff:
    My Characters:
    My Campaigns:

My Player Registry
    My DM Registry

20. - Top - End - #20

BlackDragon

Well... you can have it... I say while leaning back in the chair.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Pixie in the Playground

"Innkeeper, i offer free beer for the winner!"
    I order, with a smile.
    "It's a little price to pay for a good story earned. So..."
    i ask, while the man prepares the drinks.
    "What's going on with the nobles out there? Is there any special recurrence, is a beauty contest, or what else?"

22. - Top - End - #22

AssassinGuy

The rapidity with which the gold pieces vanish from the table is surprising, at least until you consider that the raven-like qualities of the creature may not just be in appearance.

"And who are you, to be so kind to a strange kenku?" the bird asks. He absently raises a clawed hand for attention from the bar, hoping to purchase something stronger with his new-found wealth.
    Drew

23. - Top - End - #23

BlackDragon

I am Sven... says head 1. And I'm being so kind to you because, if you haven't noticed, I am what some consider a freak... says head 2. And we freaks have to stick together. say both heads in unison, followed by a smirk and a chuckle.

24. - Top - End - #24

RedWizardGuy

Normorn apparently could not bother to notice the stranger-than-usual crowd that has gathered today in the tavern.

Maybe I should revise my previous idea of staying here all day, and see if I can steal some money from the gathered townsfolk...

After all, it's just another ordinary, boring day at the tavern!

25. - Top - End - #25

AssassinGuy

The bird fixes his eyes on Sven for several long moments before he shrugs. "Your funeral, I suppose," he offers.
    Drew

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

The bartender tosses the beer requested by the bard to the dragonborn. Not the strangest bunch in a tavern but cracking the top 50.

Suddenly outside their is a tremendous BOOM!

A massive panic can be heard from outside. Shouting voices. Trampling feet. Irritated animals. Only one thing is for sure. They're running toward the boat parade.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    First level paladin.

27. - Top - End - #27

RedWizardGuy

The loud 'boom' doesn't seem to bother Normorn much. He's not even aware of the commotion going on around him until some guy runs into him in panic..

"Hey! What the f..."

"Huh?"

Now clearly startled, he looks around in astonishment.
    Last edited by Asmerv; 2012-07-14 at 09:24 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

BlackDragon

A frown appears on Sven's face after the boom...Someones having a party with out me?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

When the wise man hears an explosion, he runs away without looking back.
    Unluckily, Loch isn't the wisest of the men.

I run out of the tavern, trying to understand what is happening at the boat parade,followed by my wolf.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't think it will be useful, but i do a spot roll.
    (1d20+2)[17]

30. - Top - End - #30

AssassinGuy

The bird flinches at the noise, and seems to be edging into a quieter space, almost crouching underneath the near table.
    Drew