New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

Good to see the conversation continuing despite my failings! My work's affiliate's annual convention--of which we tabled at--has had a hundred percent of my attention as of late, but with the event now over, I can get back to getting into gaming .

A full blow by blow of Assassin's Creed will have to wait until, oh, let's say Friday--this Friday! Work ain't stoppin' me this time! But to keep the juices flowing, I shall pen my thoughts/feelings re: my first midnight release on the eve of yet another.

We got to GameStop at ten thirty, and I don't know why, but I expected hundreds of gamers, thousands of gamers, millions and trillions and. Well. There simply weren't those numbers. I remember talk of friends who had camped out at my hometown's GameStop and told tall tales of the droves that would turn out on the big night. Initially? Underwhelmed.

But rest assured there were some gems that made my first one for the books. Especially when we got down to the last minutes, and everyone was counting down 'til Halo would be in their little hands. Ten. Nine. Eight. Seven. Six. Five. Four. Three. Two. One...to which I responded with, "Happy New Year!"

And then the pure joy I only see at Christmas painting the faces of those who physically had Halo in their possession. The outright sprinting of people to get to their cars, to get home and get gaming! Must get on the bandwagon next time around

Sound familiar? Any noteworthy overheards at your release? Or forgo that route completely?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Very nice list you got there, good luck with your gaming journey!

I have no additions to the list, but instead I offer some advice:

Games that are moddable should NOT be played on the xbox or playstation.
    For gods' sake, play at least the bethesda games on the pc. Modding is half the fun and extends the playtime at least threefold!

It just saddens me to see people playing moddable games on consoles...

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ogre in the Playground

It saddens me to see people insisting on the importance of mods.
    LPs that I like to think I will get back to some day.

To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

Let's Play Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    In some cases. They certainly enhance the gaming experience!
    In other cases, meh.

In cases such as Valve Source engine stuff, Paradox or early Total War games, or Bethesda games, mods GREATLY enhance gaming experience! Though getting Oblivion and Skyrim to work properly with all the mods I want can get... difficult. Morrowind works like a charm though!
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Titan in the Playground

Mods... Bethesda games often require mods to get over some of the bugs inherent in the design of the games and the engines. It's just a fact of the process of creation.

However, for most games that can be modded, it's like buying several games.

You can take a character in Fallout New Vegas on the 360, and you can put a hundred hours into the game, finishing the main game and all 5 DLC. I'm on my 15th character, who is wearing heavy power armor, being trailed by an army of robots working her way through a new world space in Beyond Boulder Dome, exploring a new part of the fallout world. When she's done, she can return to the Mojave, and continue bullet timing her way through fights. A game is great, but a game with mods is limitless. Consoles only get the DLC Bethesda makes. PC's get that, plus what the community makes. Bethesda has to work with 80 paid employees.

The modding community has THOUSANDS working for nothing more than the enjoyment of the end product.

Mods are important. Oscuro created an Overhaul for Oblivion. He changed the nature of the game completely. Obsidian hired him.

For a non-Bethesda example, X3:Reunion was a fantastic game by Egosoft. The Xtended Team did amazing things, and Egosoft hired the bulk of them to help with it's next game X3:Terran Conflict, which expanded on their ideas. Mods ARE important.

Can games be played without them? Certainly. Can having them make the gaming experience that much more amazing? Absolutely.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Mods... Bethesda games often require mods to get over some of the bugs inherent in the design of the games and the engines. It's just a fact of the process of creation.
    Or "features" that are entirely unwanted, like the shotgun-wielding degenerates in Point Lookout being able to blast the Lone Wanderer in half. After s/he's stormed through two bases filled chock-full with state-of-the-art equipment and power armored murder-men. And Deathclaws. Without issue.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hmmm so no thoughts on game release nights?

8. - Top - End - #278
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SHeRUBI View Post
    Eh, not really, personally. I generally go to midnight releases if a game I'm picking up has one (much of the time they don't), but mostly because I'm up that late consistently anyway. I just show up right before midnight - shorter to wait in line from the back from right before it starts moving than to show up earlier and wait a while until midnight rolls around.

Only remarkable one was when I went to a midnight release for Super Smash Brothers Brawl, where they were also holding a tournament for it. Unfortunately since they were using a control scheme nobody knew at the time (the Wiimote + Nunchuk), everybody was basically just flailing around at random during that. Kinda fun to watch though. I ended up with a lucky win in my first match in a sudden death round, then got knocked out in my second. And unfortunately, once you lost, you had to wait outside in line until midnight hit. That part kinda sucked, since it was a rather cold night...

Zevox
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

9. - Top - End - #279
    Titan in the Playground

I have a rule about Midnight releases. Which is: DON'T DO IT.

I don't like being out amongst people at that time of night. It's just... not fun.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

In the UK the usual release day for games is Friday, not Tuesday, so even if I'm really anticipating a game I find it better to buy it after work and then have the whole weekend to enjoy it. Even were that not the case I probably wouldn't bother going to a midnight sale of a game, or anything else for that matter--I'd rather leave it to a time that's less busy, even if that means I miss out on the best deal or what-have-you.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Dwarf in the Playground

Thanks for humoring my midnight release aside . Now onto the good stuff!

Assassin's Creed was my first blockbuster following my beloved Mass Effect. Coming off the high from the latter, I'd say that the action-adventure had a lot to live up to. And I'm still, months later, grappling with how I feel about the first installment.

Here is the first time that I began to get particular about gameplay. Variety is the spice of life, and that ingredient could've been added in my opinion. Jumping from Damascus, Jerusalem, Acre, repeat...sure there is the lab thrown in the mix, but I would have liked more of a sense of that time period with different key cities available to be traipsed through.

Same could be said for the mission types. I could have gone for a setup like this: unlock a weapon/ability, unlock a different way in which to investigate. The easier ones such as scale a tall, tall building come first and eventually culminate into something in line with outright interrogation. Yeah or neigh?

But I fear it is all too easy to take up the role of critic. From a bystander's POV, there was some drag, were some moments of monotony. But even in the life of the assassin, there is order, even if routine~dig for information, go in for the kill, report. So that's where I stand, on the threshold of making complaints, which can be easier to utter than compliments, and wondering where that leaves me. Yes, I have a right to feel what I feel, but if I was in the designer's shoes, who says I could've done better?

Do not misunderstand me, though. AC's triumphs are many. The game really should be (and probably is) credited with blurring the line between good and evil. One's actions may very well be "good" from one viewpoint: do unto others/help others, particularly those less fortunate (like with the twisted doctor mark), yet clash against another: Doc is messing where he shouldn't, is drugging the vulnerable. So, it becomes a question of ethics and a question of perspective.

Altair's whole questioning of his teacher is really what we are supposed to come away with, I think. Sure, the creed is the law, but in the end, be true to one's own creed and one's own sense of "Right". So many warning signs (blue backdrops...ALL OF THEM), my hooded friend!

And again the treatment of history, with these unnamed (in the history books) as agents of bringing about what we know to be true. Our understanding of the past is a knowledge of key players and results, but not so much the behind the scenes players. Those in shadow. But it can be the actions of small fries that alter that which ends up getting passed down from generation to generation.

Makes me wish I went in with more knowledge of the Crusades!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, questions I pose to you:

1. Thoughts on the game? Strengths, weaknesses?
    2. Are we, on the whole, too critical when it comes to reviewing?
    3. What is the game's take-away message to you?

13. - Top - End - #283
    Troll in the Playground

I'll answer your questions later, but I'd like to say one thing: don't give up on the franchise. Yes, the first one's rather boring, and can feel clumsy compared to the later titles. But it does get better. Assassin's Creed 2 is really much better than the first, in my opinion.
    Si non confectus, non reficiat.

The beautiful girl is courtesy of Serpentine
    My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

14. - Top - End - #284
    Titan in the Playground

About mods, Bethesda and the need for them:

This is why I normally insist that friends buy their games for the PC and not the console if they can.

That said, however I must say that Skyrim is the first game they have made that truly felt good as vanilla. I use mods when I play, but 95% of those are either purely graphical since my computer can handle it, or adds to the environment in other ways (more wildlife, more livestock in villages and so on), and none of the actaul game-changing mods I have actually are that important for the experience.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

15. - Top - End - #285

BlackDragon

The thing I dislike about Assassin's Creed (at least from the second game onwards, I forget how the first one worked) is that the "parkour" running all involves holding down a button and running at a wall. I've played several of the Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider games, and it is *so* much better when your running and jumping around actually involves a modicum of skill and control!

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if you played and enjoyed the original Assassin's Creed, you should then try Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. It's a much harder game, but the combat and parkour are both much, much better.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Troll in the Playground

1. I loved it, really. It's a bit of a shame that I played it AFTER I played the second game, since the second really does improve upon a few aspects, but still, it does a lot of things right. It's got a somewhat original story and protagonist, and, as you said, it blurs the line between good and evil, making you question your missions.
    It's strengths are definitively the acrobatics, the fights, acrobatics and the assassinations, I personally also like the setting and the assassins as a whole.
    It's weaknesses lie between the high points, meaning between the assassinations. It's monotonous information gathering that serves only as a prelude to the highlights
    2. I don't think so. Rather I think that the Internet enables everyone who has an opinion to voice that opinion, and not everyone is a journalist, an experienced game critic, or has knowledge of the industry. So a some of the "reviews" that turn up are barely more than unfiltered hate,.while others criticize the game for something it, for many reasons can't be. Of course, the phenomen is not restricted to video games. Complaining can be fun, even if it's unreasonable.
    3. The message is, as you said, question everything, from the truths of Christianity and Islam to the reasons behind the Crusades and so on for Altair, and the entire history as we know it for Desmond (and the player), but, more importantly, don't forget to question the one who tells you to question everything.

EDIT:
    The thing I dislike about Assassin's Creed (at least from the second game onwards, I forget how the first one worked) is that the "parkour" running all involves holding down a button and running at a wall. I've played several of the Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider games, and it is *so* much better when your running and jumping around actually involves a modicum of skill and control!
    That's in fact one of the thigns I LIKED about the games. Parkour is the main element of the game, one of the defining features. So why not make it easy? In fact, one of the strengths of the alter games is how natural and flowing parkour feels. Ezio runs and jumps seamlessly, climbing, dropping, and jumping like he was born to do it.
    Last edited by GolemsVoice; 2012-11-19 at 08:09 AM.

My S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripjat Let's Play! Please give it a read, more than one constant reader would be nice!

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if you played and enjoyed the original Assassin's Creed, you should then try Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. It's a much harder game, but the combat and parkour are both much, much better.
    I'd disagree with this. Yes, whilst the Prince of Persia platforming is much more involved, skill still plays a part in Assassin's Creed, especially in later games when more advanced climbing maneuvers show up (side-rebound, leap grab, hookblade and such).

So, questions I pose to you:

1: Assassin's Creed's strength lie largely with the plot. I don't think there's anyone who'd disagree with your assessment of repetitiveness, though bear in mind that from the second game onward this problem is gone.

2: Honestly, I have no idea how to answer this question.

3: That self-determination is possibly the most vital part of human nature.

18. - Top - End - #288
    Titan in the Playground

Assassin's Creed will NOT make sense until you get to the end of 2.

I haven't actually played then, lacking a system capable of them, but I've watched the ones done by PIAVOnline on Youtube. Trust me, get to the end of two and then reassess.

Not really. I think it's more that we extoll the negative, instead of keeping a focus on the positive. The flaws can sometimes overwhelm the features, and that occasionally happens when it's wholly undeserved. Skyrim is an example. Yes, there are a few nuisances, such as companions vanishing, or quests breaking, but the sheer scope of the game means that you're going to miss things.

Everything is permitted. Nothing is forbidden. (IE, the ends will often justify the means, even if some can't quite see that.)

19. - Top - End - #289
    Titan in the Playground

Everything is permitted. Nothing is forbidden. (IE, the ends will often justify the means, even if some can't quite see that.)
    That's not the Creed. The Creed is "nothing is true. Everything is permitted", and it means that you should take what you know about the situation, remove other people's opinions, and then act on that information in whatever way you feel is best.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

20. - Top - End - #290
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, what he said. In my defense the last time I heard it was at 1:30 in the morning.

In any case, stick with it, it's worth it.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    don't give up on the franchise. Yes, the first one's rather boring, and can feel clumsy compared to the later titles. But it does get better. Assassin's Creed 2 is really much better than the first, in my opinion.
    I've been playing through ACII since last post, so never fear GolemsVoice! Already have started to see previous criticisms rendered irrelevant...gone is the repetition, for one. Actually, I've taken to clearing the map of all viewpoints, treasure and codex pages before charging through to the story missions...of my own volition! Don’t much mind the monotony when it's of my own doing .

Quote Originally Posted by GolemsVoice View Post
    I don't think so. Rather I think that the Internet enables everyone who has an opinion to voice that opinion, and not everyone is a journalist, an experienced game critic, or has knowledge of the industry. So a some of the "reviews" that turn up are barely more than unfiltered hate,.while others criticize the game for something it, for many reasons can't be.
    And that person who doesn't fall into journalist, experienced critic has just as much of a right to lend their two cents as the former two. I also believe the non-journalist/experienced critic could add a different POV to the mix, enriching the conversation.

Not really. I think it's more that we extoll the negative, instead of keeping a focus on the positive. The flaws can sometimes overwhelm the features, and that occasionally happens when it's wholly undeserved. Skyrim is an example. Yes, there are a few nuisances, such as companions vanishing, or quests breaking, but the sheer scope of the game means that you're going to miss things.
    Well said! You've exactly caught my meaning, Triaxx. I think the tendency is towards negativity. I do have to check myself, though, because I am quick to jump on the criticism train, when the issue really lies within my inexperience/unfamiliarity. Then again, never allowed myself a learning curve with much of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    That's not the Creed. The Creed is "nothing is true. Everything is permitted", and it means that you should take what you know about the situation, remove other people's opinions, and then act on that information in whatever way you feel is best.
    So there is no "truth" with a capital T, but our own truth? And with this logic, wouldn't Altair be disobeying the Creed by sticking to Al Mualim's missions?

22. - Top - End - #292
    Troll in the Playground

Which is exactly what he learns in the end. He does what Al Mualim tells him, and only in the end does he learn that this is not the way.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Why is that, aren't they the superior?

24. - Top - End - #294

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by harrygrant View Post
    Why should they be? No doubt there are some mods which are truly excellent, but I'm sure there are many more that are total garbage. Besides, even a *good* mod can change the game balance in ways that people might not like--for instance, the excellent XRM mod for X3: Reunion tilted the game balance heavily toward the combat end of things, which isn't to everyone's taste.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know if they have been mentioned or not, but I'd like to present borderlands and/or it's follow-up borderlands 2. it's a great arcade shooter In a distopic environment, referencing jsut about every TvTrope or pop-culture thing ever. (especially #2 does this)
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

26. - Top - End - #296
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by harrygrant View Post
    No. Modded games may, in some cases, have some advantages above unmodded ones, but that's not the rule. Usually that point is only reached when a game keeps a strong community for a long time (years) after official development stopped.

Some mods are the original game, changed to the modder's liking. It isn't objectively superior, but might be subjectively superior. When a game's player community wants the game to be something that the original developers didn't, mods that change the game to their liking are "better" - for that community.

Some mods are bugfixes to the original game. These are almost always more limited than official patches, and they're preferred only when official patches aren't available. When a company can't afford to support a game any more, modded fixes are good, but it's extremely rare that people choose to not update a game and instead play with older version because the modded bugfixes are better.
    Some people do play older version to access older mods that add content or gameplay, the last sentence there only refers to bugfixes.

Some mods are games done by people who aren't getting paid to do the best they can, but who aren't burdened by time limits. This means they might, in some way, be better than games with time limits, if they have team
    that's as good or better as the game's creators, and/or spend more time on it.

However, when a person can make a superb mod as a personal project, that won't be any better than what that person could do when he's making a game as a personal project.

Some mods are better than some unmodded games. Some games are better modded than unmodded. Most games are better than most mods.
    Last edited by endoperez; 2012-12-11 at 08:11 AM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

For point of reference, the last unmodded game I played was Crysis.

I think mods are an integral part of games. Yes, it's true as in the case of XRM for the X-series, not all mods are for everyone. I don't like that one, not because of it's combat focus, but because it trivializes fighters.

Anyway, that's fine. I don't like that one. Someone else might like a different style of play that happens to fit with XRM.

I play Skyrim with specific character types in mind, and so I go and look for mods that allow me to play those specific types. For example, my hunter type packs her camping gear around with her, rather than relying on just what she can find, which isn't always convenient, or easily accessible.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Socratov View Post
    I don't know if they have been mentioned or not, but I'd like to present borderlands and/or it's follow-up borderlands 2. it's a great arcade shooter In a distopic environment, referencing jsut about every TvTrope or pop-culture thing ever. (especially #2 does this)
    I watched a Let's Play of both games (co-op, of course). I only got through part of it before deciding it was boring and not worth the time. I'd rather play Team Fortress 2 MvM if I want co-op FPS, or the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series if I want story-based FPS.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-12-11 at 02:38 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

29. - Top - End - #299
    Firbolg in the Playground

The issue with Borderlands for me was fairly simple... I just didn't like the graphics style, or the basic idea of "OMG LOOK AT ALL THESE WACKY GUNS", which was pretty integral to the game...

My dad and little brother loooooved the game though
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.