Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
Results 121 to 150 of 299
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by SHeRUBI View Post
    Isn't that how it is with all characters and killing, though? Or do others let the wounded be? I really can't remember.
    I think I've seen some of the minor characters in the later games let a few guys live, but that's just a game-mechanics based reinforcement of the personality determined by voice-acting and cutscenes.
    Proud Member of the United States Army
    (even if it means I never get to post...)

    I am contemplating changing my username this summer. Be prepared.

    Behold the man who read all 831 OOTS strips that existed at the time in four days!

    To be revived this summer:
    Light, Shadow, and Legend: a Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke
    To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

  2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    This has spawned a meme.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Shepard! Defeat the Reapers!

  3. - Top - End - #123
    Halfling in the Playground
     
    SHeRUBI's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    We're still dipping toes in different gaming waters at this point. Not feeling like its quite the time for a sequal yet, especially MW. Would do ME2 before MW2.
    Indubitably.

    Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    The mission that really made her mad was this one. She really didn't like the whole "Ka-boom." and "Lots of little pieces down there." and other comments like that.
    Okay, fire away posters! Am particularly interested in your feedback here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    When I saw the thread, I was thinking "If you start with Mass Effect, you probably end up as a gaming snob." In a good way. Overall, the series is perfect to show what video games can be. On the downside, it also is what most video games can never come even close to. With this as your baseline, most games will fall short.
    SO true, Yora. With Civ IV, CoD and Assassins' Creed played through, ME remains on top. Though I will say that Civ in particular inspired many a late night session. As Napoleon Bonaparte, I couldn't be beat. More on that later.

    Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Well, Soap turns into your new character's mentor, and the other character has a sergeant who begins an order with his name at least 26 times through the campaign, followed by the other soldiers piling on more. This has spawned a meme.
    A meme in itself is worth a go at it.

  4. - Top - End - #124
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    The best part, though, is that Soap turns out to be

    Spoiler
    Show
    a Scot with a mohawk
    Proud Member of the United States Army
    (even if it means I never get to post...)

    I am contemplating changing my username this summer. Be prepared.

    Behold the man who read all 831 OOTS strips that existed at the time in four days!

    To be revived this summer:
    Light, Shadow, and Legend: a Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke
    To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

  5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triscuitable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Neurotypicalville, WA

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by SHeRUBI View Post
    Okay, fire away posters! Am particularly interested in your feedback here.
    Some soldiers are so shocked by the horrors of war that they need to crack unfunny jokes to lighten the mood or add to the denial. Can you imagine what it's like to have a job where you need to observe hundreds be torn apart by 50mm explosives every day?
    Steam: The Scot's Ire
    Irritable by nature
    I made my avvy

  6. - Top - End - #126
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Logic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Triscuitable View Post
    Some soldiers are so shocked by the horrors of war that they need to crack unfunny jokes to lighten the mood or add to the denial. Can you imagine what it's like to have a job where you need to observe hundreds be torn apart by 50mm explosives every day?
    Yup. This. Without going into to much detail, if you are assigned to cleaning out a Humvee that was hit by an IED, you are either going to puke A LOT, or have a mild-to-severe shift in your sense of humor towards the morbid and morose.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Logic + Potatoes = Sweetcorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Logic is, well, logical. And smart too.
    CKS
    Avatar by Ceika

  7. - Top - End - #127
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    PirateCaptain

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    The Hurricane State
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by SHeRUBI View Post
    Though I will say that Civ in particular inspired many a late night session. As Napoleon Bonaparte, I couldn't be beat. More on that later.
    Civ is the only game that I can really sit down and blink and then noticed that 10 hours have gone by. Yes I have really done this, no food/water/bathroom break. Good thing that it was always done during a day that I didn't have to do anything...

    I always start a game, then I want to finish that wonder, then gotta finish that war that Alexander declared on me, finish that first legendary city, get that all important tech, finish another war that some poor sap started, finish that last (I swear!) Wonder, only to go "I might as well finish..." and then another few hours go by and go "Wow...what happen to all that time?"
    Boo!

    Steam ID: Dublock

    Battle tag: Dublock 1-7-2-5

    Feel free to add me but say GitP :)

  8. - Top - End - #128
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    Yup. This. Without going into to much detail, if you are assigned to cleaning out a Humvee that was hit by an IED, you are either going to puke A LOT, or have a mild-to-severe shift in your sense of humor towards the morbid and morose.
    They reuse them after that?!
    Proud Member of the United States Army
    (even if it means I never get to post...)

    I am contemplating changing my username this summer. Be prepared.

    Behold the man who read all 831 OOTS strips that existed at the time in four days!

    To be revived this summer:
    Light, Shadow, and Legend: a Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke
    To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

  9. - Top - End - #129
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Montreal! Quebec! Canada?

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Those things are expensive! It's MUCH cheaper to clean them out and fix them up than to buy a completely new transport.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

    "Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus


    Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

  10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Logic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    They reuse them after that?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Those things are expensive! It's MUCH cheaper to clean them out and fix them up than to buy a completely new transport.
    You pretty much said it for me. Repair costs are less than replacing with a brand new one. Especially since you are already paying for the labor.

    But occasionally, the frame is destroyed, or it is no longer safe for maneuvers, and the choice parts are reused and the rest is scrapped.
    Last edited by Logic; 2012-07-25 at 06:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Logic + Potatoes = Sweetcorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Logic is, well, logical. And smart too.
    CKS
    Avatar by Ceika

  11. - Top - End - #131
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triscuitable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Neurotypicalville, WA

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    But occasionally, the frame is destroyed, or it is no longer safe for maneuvers, and the choice parts are reused and the rest is scrapped.
    The less chunky salsa in the "choice parts", the better.
    Steam: The Scot's Ire
    Irritable by nature
    I made my avvy

  12. - Top - End - #132
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    But occasionally, the frame is destroyed, or it is no longer safe for maneuvers, and the choice parts are reused and the rest is scrapped.
    Only occasionally? I guess I'm still thinking of flat-bottomed ones instead of the new-fangled angled blast-dispersion design.
    Proud Member of the United States Army
    (even if it means I never get to post...)

    I am contemplating changing my username this summer. Be prepared.

    Behold the man who read all 831 OOTS strips that existed at the time in four days!

    To be revived this summer:
    Light, Shadow, and Legend: a Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke
    To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

  13. - Top - End - #133
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Logic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by YakYak View Post
    Only occasionally? I guess I'm still thinking of flat-bottomed ones instead of the new-fangled angled blast-dispersion design.
    Most Humvees survive IEDs in a broken, yet repairable condition.

    (I got scolded the last time I helped sidetrack a thread, so let's try to get back on track!)

    Civilization (any edition), Alpha Centauri and Galactic Civilizations (preferably 2) go down as my favorite type of turn based game. The Empire builder.

    Of all the games in the world, one of these is the only reason I have ever been late for work. Civilization doesn't have much of its own story, GalCiv2 has a demonically hard story mode, and Alpha Centauri could be played for its story.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Logic + Potatoes = Sweetcorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Logic is, well, logical. And smart too.
    CKS
    Avatar by Ceika

  14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Koury's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Just a status update here. We began Portal and she has been flying through it pretty well. She prefers getting objects from point A to point B more then getting herself from point A to point B, but either way is on room 16 I think currently, with just over an hour of play time.

    No spoilers please.

    Anyway, having taken her to the new Batman movie yesterday, what are some thoughts on the next big game being Arkham Asylum? I got a PS2 from, of all places, my mothers house but there is a 50/50 chance it doesn't work. If it does work, then I'm thinking the next game should be Arkham Asylum, FF12 or Kingdom Hearts. I've not actually played AA myself, but know its supposed to be really good.

    Thoughts on which way to go? Either between these three or a different direction?

    EDIT: PS2 seems to work. Was told it had some disc read problems, but I plugged it in and popped Kingdom Hearts in and it worked through the intro video. So yeah, seems good.

    Also, quite a few good games in this box the PS2 was in. God of War 1, FF X and X-2, Soul Nomad and Disgaea 2, every (PS2) Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter and both Dark Clouds.
    Last edited by Koury; 2012-07-26 at 02:17 PM.
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.
    _____________
    Avatar by Miss Nobody

  15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triscuitable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Neurotypicalville, WA

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    There are no spoilers to speak of. Portal is plot-light.
    Steam: The Scot's Ire
    Irritable by nature
    I made my avvy

  16. - Top - End - #136
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Montreal! Quebec! Canada?

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Arkham Asylum is a fun fighting action game, I'd say go for it.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

    "Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus


    Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

  17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triscuitable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Neurotypicalville, WA

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Arkham Asylum is a fun fighting action game, I'd say go for it.
    Second it.
    Steam: The Scot's Ire
    Irritable by nature
    I made my avvy

  18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jade Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Thirding Batman. Arkham City is even better. Also, the character DLC packs in Arkham City (Robin/Nightwing/Catwoman) do add to the plot, so they're worth the extra money.

  19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zevox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    Anyway, having taken her to the new Batman movie yesterday, what are some thoughts on the next big game being Arkham Asylum? I got a PS2 from, of all places, my mothers house but there is a 50/50 chance it doesn't work. If it does work, then I'm thinking the next game should be Arkham Asylum, FF12 or Kingdom Hearts. I've not actually played AA myself, but know its supposed to be really good.
    Arkham Asylum is a very good action/adventure game. Given her preference for story though... personally I didn't think much of the story, but that may just be because I don't much like Batman, so I was always there first and foremost for the gameplay. It does do some unusual things with its storytelling at times though, so the novelty of those alone may be worth it for her.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Thirding Batman. Arkham City is even better. Also, the character DLC packs in Arkham City (Robin/Nightwing/Catwoman) do add to the plot, so they're worth the extra money.
    Er, Robin and Nightwing were strictly challenge mode DLC. I know this for a fact with Robin, since I have him due to a pre-order bonus, and I've heard Nightwing is the same. Catwoman... sort of gets inserted into the plot awkwardly in my opinion, but technically yes, she adds to it. She was free DLC with any new copy though, so no need to spend anything on her unless you can only find used copies.

    The only story DLC Arkham City did was Harley's Revenge, which I do not have but have heard was rather lackluster. It also occurs after the main storyline, so it's not part of the main plot at all, just an extra short story.

    Zevox
    Last edited by Zevox; 2012-07-26 at 05:10 PM.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

    "When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

    "We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

  20. - Top - End - #140
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triscuitable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Neurotypicalville, WA

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Actually, only the Catwoman DLC adds anything, and it's free with a new copy of the game (ten bucks used). The other two are just challenge characters. They are fun, though, but pricey.

    I'd argue Arkham Asylum had a much better atmosphere than Arkham City. While AC improves in terms of combat and maneuverability, it loses a lot of the Metroidvania feel.

    Metroidvania feels like segmented areas with no hub world. There are spots along the way that stop you from continuing, so you turn around and explore somewhere else until you get to the tool you need to move forward.

    In Arkham Asylum, this is present 100% of the time. In Arkham City, it's less of a segmented area and more like a circle with dots you can explore. These "dots" are linear areas that you can use the tools you have in, so it becomes less of an exploration station and more like a punch-kick fest. Of course, the combat is excellent, so it's not a problem if you're less inclined to play with puzzles.

    The eerie atmosphere of the first game is also lost in the city. There's no freaky wards, constant guards (there are no guards in AC until the endgame), or the haunting ambient music.

    While both are good games, they're actually very different experiences. I'd say buy the first game before you play the sequel.
    Steam: The Scot's Ire
    Irritable by nature
    I made my avvy

  21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Jade Dragon's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Minnesota
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Er, Robin and Nightwing were strictly challenge mode DLC. I know this for a fact with Robin, since I have him due to a pre-order bonus, and I've heard Nightwing is the same. Catwoman... sort of gets inserted into the plot awkwardly in my opinion, but technically yes, she adds to it. She was free DLC with any new copy though, so no need to spend anything on her unless you can only find used copies.
    Ah. I only heard that the Catwoman pack was part of the plot. I assumed it was the same for the others.

  22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Mando Knight's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2007

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Arkham Asylum is a very good action/adventure game. Given her preference for story though... personally I didn't think much of the story, but that may just be because I don't much like Batman, so I was always there first and foremost for the gameplay. It does do some unusual things with its storytelling at times though, so the novelty of those alone may be worth it for her.
    Yeah... if you don't play Arkham to be Batman, you'll probably miss most of its attraction. Which is that you get to be Batman.
    Avatar by Mr. Saturn

    Magic... magic never changes

  23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triscuitable's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Neurotypicalville, WA

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Mando Knight View Post
    Yeah... if you don't play Arkham to be Batman, you'll probably miss most of its attraction. Which is that you get to be Batman.
    I liked playing Catwoman after beating the game, since there was a fluidity to dashing around the city as her. When you get the rhythm down, you can climb up gargoyles faster than anyone else. Caltrops are especially handy in silent predator challenges, too.
    Steam: The Scot's Ire
    Irritable by nature
    I made my avvy

  24. - Top - End - #144
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triaxx's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Portal has precisely two spoilers, one is impossible to avoid on the internet, and the other is not really a spoiler.

    There's actually a 100% completion Let's Play on Youtube by PIAVOnline. The guy doing that one is kind of quiet though.

  25. - Top - End - #145
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2012

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    I just beat Portal 2 last week, and that was awesome.
    Proud Member of the United States Army
    (even if it means I never get to post...)

    I am contemplating changing my username this summer. Be prepared.

    Behold the man who read all 831 OOTS strips that existed at the time in four days!

    To be revived this summer:
    Light, Shadow, and Legend: a Pokemon Ruby Nuzlocke
    To Make a Fan: Let's Play Final Fantasy

  26. - Top - End - #146
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Maxios's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Starbase Janus
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    Just a status update here. We began Portal and she has been flying through it pretty well. She prefers getting objects from point A to point B more then getting herself from point A to point B, but either way is on room 16 I think currently, with just over an hour of play time.

    No spoilers please.

    Anyway, having taken her to the new Batman movie yesterday, what are some thoughts on the next big game being Arkham Asylum? I got a PS2 from, of all places, my mothers house but there is a 50/50 chance it doesn't work. If it does work, then I'm thinking the next game should be Arkham Asylum, FF12 or Kingdom Hearts. I've not actually played AA myself, but know its supposed to be really good.

    Thoughts on which way to go? Either between these three or a different direction?

    EDIT: PS2 seems to work. Was told it had some disc read problems, but I plugged it in and popped Kingdom Hearts in and it worked through the intro video. So yeah, seems good.

    Also, quite a few good games in this box the PS2 was in. God of War 1, FF X and X-2, Soul Nomad and Disgaea 2, every (PS2) Ratchet and Clank/Jak and Daxter and both Dark Clouds.
    I don't think AA is available on PS2s...
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

  27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Triaxx's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Sadly, it's not.

  28. - Top - End - #148
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Koury's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    I don't think AA is available on PS2s...
    No, sorry I was unclear. The "thinking about AA" sentence is unrelated to the "acquired PS2" sentence. I more meant to say "I'm thinking of AA being next because of watching the new Batman. I've also acquired a PS2, so other games like FF12 and KH are strong contenders too."
    I will NOT succumb to evil!
    ...Unless she's cute.
    _____________
    Avatar by Miss Nobody

  29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Logic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    WA, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Koury View Post
    No, sorry I was unclear. The "thinking about AA" sentence is unrelated to the "acquired PS2" sentence. I more meant to say "I'm thinking of AA being next because of watching the new Batman. I've also acquired a PS2, so other games like FF12 and KH are strong contenders too."
    For the PS2, a strong contender I'd like to add to the list of games under consideration is Front Mission 4. It is a tactical (read: turn based) mech combat game with a decent story about the buildup to World War 3 (or is it 4?) I will admit, it is fairly long.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by bosssmiley View Post
    You altruistic weirdo you!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jibar View Post
    Logic + Potatoes = Sweetcorn
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Logic is, well, logical. And smart too.
    CKS
    Avatar by Ceika

  30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Yora's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Germany

    Default Re: Getting Into Gaming

    Quote Originally Posted by Triaxx View Post
    Portal has precisely two spoilers, one is impossible to avoid on the internet, and the other is not really a spoiler.
    Spoiler
    Show
    When Glados was all "We pretend we were going to murder you"? That was great.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •