Page 6 of 35 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Deathknell Chronicles OOC

Aww, that's a nay on Worlok's rolls, I suppose? Because I really really would have enjoyed seeing that intimidation roll work. That would have been EPIC.

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

Dang, man. Lost his tongue and had his double-ten discarded. Shame about the roll result, I guess. The long-ass speech is mainly due to his speaking very rapidly, just to clear this up, like basically "You have ten seconds to finish a rehearsed presentation that was supposed to have five minutes more to be given"-style. But I guess that's kinda redundant info, now. Not yet exactly sure what to do after this, at any rate.

At least, I guess Senor Rodriguez did righteously guide my crazy-hand. That's something, there.
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-07-26 at 10:11 PM. Reason: My crazy-hand be shakin'.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strawberries View Post
    Aww, that's a nay on Worlok's rolls, I suppose? Because I really really would have enjoyed seeing that intimidation roll work. That would have been EPIC.
    With that many successes, I'd have expected something to happen.

Ah well. Good on the Prince for keeping the peace. As we all know, assault and mutilation of a newbie is a great way to keep the troops on point.
    River Tam avatar by Strawberries

4. - Top - End - #154
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Well, I think the rolls were sadly reversed of what would have helped Faruq. He wasn't going to intimidate Flat Face with anything short of an assault rifle. A kindred who specializes in beating the crap out of people isn't going to be intimidated by a newly embraced kindred. That, and Flat Face is more of a doer, not a thinker.

Sadly, the roll of making the Prince reconsider, since Jean does seem to be in a listening mood, wasn't enough.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by daelrog View Post
    Sadly, the roll of making the Prince reconsider, since Jean does seem to be in a listening mood, wasn't enough.
    Oh, in that case, Amy should probably have rolled sonething, then. I didn't think about it mainly because of being unfamiliar with the system, but she was going to make a plea...

"Tales and dreams are the shadow-truths that will endure when mere facts are dust and ashes, and forgot" - N.Gaiman, The Sandman

6. - Top - End - #156
    Ogre in the Playground

If Faruq was trying to Intimidate the entire room (which was no doubt the source of the address), might not other Kindred have been affected by his splendid results? Heck, even the Prince could have been impressed and backed off a bit. If nothing else, it'd at least be comforting to watch Melanie shrink down in her seat, terror written across her prim, little face.
    River Tam avatar by Strawberries

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Does it make any sense though? This is why I put roleplaying above the dice rolls 9 out of 10 times.

A person, just embraced, tried to intimidate, lie to, and coerce a Nosferatu over 500 years old. He's trying to, unarmed, backing away, and talking a million words a minute, stop a bloodthirsty brute who's not even listening.

And for your OOC knowlede, Melanie is right afraid of Faruq. She thinks he'll get them both killed, however she's had intensive training not to show emotion when she chooses so. Those kindred in the room who are reading auras can see past the calm act though.

EDIT: And for storytelling sake, I think this is doing a lot more for Faruq's character, learning his limits, being vicitmized, starting from rock bottom, is a lot more rewarding than "Oh he rolled well, Faruq intimidates the bruiser twice his size and cows the Prince." Personally, I can cheer for Faruq as he picks himself back up. I can't cheer for the character who rolled well with X dots in manipulation and Y dots in intimidation, and who learns the lesson that he can make kindred several times more powerful than himself cower in fear.
    Last edited by daelrog; 2012-07-26 at 10:48 PM.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

Does it make any sense though? This is why I put roleplaying above the dice rolls 9 out of 10 times.
    Personally, my point still kind of stands. I feel Amy's actions could have had a chance to work... So probably, a roll was required. Next time please someone tell me OOC.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarai View Post
    If nothing else, it'd at least be comforting to watch Melanie shrink down in her seat, terror written across her prim, little face.

Though, I would also have enjoyed Amy managing to save his ass... which would have left him indebted with her and, by extension, with the Nosferatu. That would have been a good source of amusement.

Edit: Also, the prince wouldn't necessarly have to be intimidated. Amused would have worked rather well, too
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-07-26 at 10:59 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Personally, my point still kind of stands. I feel Amy's actions could have had a chance to work... So probably, a roll was required. Next time please someone tell me OOC.
    I will take that into account next time.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Ettin in the Playground

I will take that into account next time.
    Okay, what about a compromise, here? I'll roll, and if for some miracle I suceed, I'll post IC making a very last attempt, and we can say that Flat Face didn't manage to do that much damage before the Prince stops him. I ask because I think the situation is otherwise going to get a bit difficult for Worlok, in a way that would compromise us having fun all together.

11. - Top - End - #161

Don't you worry about it, Strawbs. If nothing else, it's a challenge. I can make the guy soldier on... without his tongue... for a little while. Not happy about it, but by this point, everyone who already posted after me would have to edit their posts to accomodate her succeeding, and I don't like causing trouble for people.

But thank you for the effort. And you too, Nyarai.

Also, no worries, Dark. Not taken personally at all. OOC, that is.
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-07-26 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Words.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worlok View Post
    But thank you for the effort.
    Don't thank me, it's a way to get you under my evil influence

Or, as I could say exaggerating my Italian accent "So you will owe me a...favor, si? For next time we do business together"

Kidding, Amy is a good girl. She's doing it because she thinks it's right.

I on the other hand...
    Last edited by Strawberries; 2012-07-26 at 11:24 PM.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Okay, what about a compromise, here? I'll roll, and if for some miracle I suceed, I'll post IC making a very last attempt, and we can say that Flat Face didn't manage to do that much damage before the Prince stops him. I ask because I think the situation is otherwise going to get a bit difficult for Worlok, in a way that would compromise us having fun all together.
    As Worlok said, I don't think it's too big of a deal. Worlok's shown to be a great roleplayer, and is willing to make choices detrimental to his character because that's what Faruq's nature is. I think the scene fits perfectly the two genres I put forward for the game: horror and humanity/lackthereof.

I like Faruq as a character a lot, but I think at the heart of my appreciation of Faruq is that he suffers consequences for his actions as well. I look forward to seeing Faruq grow from his second horrific ordeal of the night. Whatever direction he takes is up to Worlok and it'll be interesting to see.
    Last edited by daelrog; 2012-07-26 at 11:30 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

Never a dull day @ clan Ventrue. We'll have to wait and see what Kirsch has in store for you. Then there's Melanie... oh we've got a wonderful inter-family dynamic going on already. :p
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

15. - Top - End - #165
    Ogre in the Playground

Well I am not a rules lawyer* ... but for the hell of it ignoring everything else (as listed by daelrog) the rolls do seem to be handled correctly per the rulebook.

On page 118 the final paragraph of appearance before the dots are described indicates that any social dice pool is limited to the characters appearance rating, for both the first meeting and also meetings where appearance is important.
    This certainly seemed like a situation where first impressions count, and also where appearances would be reviewed as important - particularly for new kindred (not so much for the elders).

This leaves Faruq with somewhere less then 6 dice total (and likely more to be 2 or 3).
    If we call it appearance three and take from the front of the dice rolls, he got 2, 9, 5 in a contested intimidate roll with the willpower of his target or the strength+intimidate (bonuses for potence) of whoever might be affected (as determined by daelrog).
    And 6,4,2 for the presence roll (which would not generate a success).

Amy similarly had 0 dice to grab the attention of the room and rolled 0 dice for this.

Rules wise this seems fine to me.

*I used to be a Rules Lawyer I just grow out of it - kindof ... maybe ... fine, fine I have relapses ok ... happy now.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

As soon as Danielle accepts the Traditions (or not???), people can feel free to mingle for a bit. With the end of the trial that ends of 'plot' I had to get you all embraced, and get you to meet each other.

All of the kindred in the room and the ghouls in the back are free game (and each other of course) of who to approach. There are also servants moving around too.

As for how you want your character's story to go, I'll leave a lot of freedom to you. If you have questions/concerns/ideas you want to work out with me, feel free to PM me.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm the last person that can argue about the rules, since this is my first game and all, so this is not me arguing, it's just asking clarification for something that seems very strange to me. So I can know for next time I'm in a similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Amy similarly had 0 dice to grab the attention of the room
    Amy was trying to gain the attention of the prince, who is a nosferatu. Does trying to make a good first impression on a Nosferatu really depend on an appearance roll? Because that is... odd.

Also, yup, I've got ideas for Amy.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Firbolg in the Playground

Frankly you can't rules lawyer this system in general anyways as most of the rules are quite intentionally vague and/or loose. And more then a little throwaway its repeated clearly that the ST is the only real arbiter. Especially of actual possibilities. It's written from an anti-rules lawyer basis.

Otherwise to go with an entirely different example, Claire could pick up a pistol and shoot out the rope of the noose releasing her buddy, from a mile away. What's that she has no clear line of sight and not nearly the skill or a weapon with the range.... nonsense she just spends Willpower to gain an automatic success. Ahahah the plot is derailed!

And to be utterly fair... Intimidation when actually rolled is a resisted roll anyways two successes don't guarantee a damn thing here in the first place.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Barbarian in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm honestly not sure what I'd like to have planned for Rick. He's already somewhat different then how I first envisioned him.

Eh, we'll see how it goes. I think for right now he'll be busy ingratiating himself in his own clan.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Seeker View Post
    I'm honestly not sure what I'd like to have planned for Rick. He's already somewhat different then how I first envisioned him.

Eh, we'll see how it goes. I think for right now he'll be busy ingratiating himself in his own clan.
    That's perfectly normal. Rick's still got a few introductions to be had, and to get shown the ropes. I have a few NPCs in the city too that may give Rick some direction as well.

21. - Top - End - #171

And back to our theme of Faruq tripping balls when he's feeling pain, disappointment, and rage all at once. This should not happen so often as to become a theme.

From here on out, probably some saner writing. Mainly him coming to terms with things, and finally learning to play along.

Until then, may Nines Rodriguez draw joy from my mastery of the crazy-hand.

Thank you, everyone and everybody.
    Last edited by Worlok; 2012-07-27 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Don't mind me.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Worlok View Post
    And back to our theme of Faruq tripping balls when he's feeling pain, disappointment, and rage all at once. This should not happen so often as to become a theme.
    Well, I just wanted to say... your IC post rocked. Kudos to you.

23. - Top - End - #173

Quote Originally Posted by Strawbs
    Well, I just wanted to say... your IC post rocked. Kudos to you.
    Haha, thanks. It's surprisingly difficult to write the guy. Seeing how he actually was supposed to be kind of a simpleton.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Right, few days breather. Ready to get back into the swing of the game.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Ogre in the Playground

@Thundy: Assuming Sean is Caucasian, he would be a "wigga" not an "oreo." I think he's black though, since he and Rogan were banking together.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Erica doesn't know the difference. :)
    TC for short
    Malcolm Reynolds avatar by Strawberries

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thundercracker View Post
    Erica doesn't know the difference. :)
    I don't either, actually... oh well. Google is my friend.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

Wigga = White person acting black
    Oreo = Black person acting white

Both are pretty offensive, as they imply that being articulate/well-mannered or like a thug are fundamental aspects of being white and black respectively.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarai View Post
    Both are pretty offensive, as they imply that being articulate/well-mannered or like a thug are fundamental aspects of being white and black respectively.
    And no worries, I didn't plan to go around here using them .

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ogre in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

It's hard to tell what exactly Sean used to be, though it was most likely light skinned. He is now sort of greyish.