New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast

Thread: Little Green II

1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Little Green II

Spoiler
    Show

Heh no... the cold effects have been steadily growing as you have been coming closer to the heart/bottom of this place so you can imagine it might grow even colder...

The acid and fumes is part of the ritual... I will promise you no electricity/sonic is involved :D

Still though I will point out you might want to arrange so that you receive some healing before proceeding further... unless I am mistaken you are pretty pretty badly damaged...

You can indeed sense it with your un-natural abilities and you can also tell that the effect there is some kind of weird passwall incantation that when you pass through the smoke opens a portal leading further down...
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Before he goes yet further down, he goes back and tells Jana and the priestess whose name he doesn't care to remember about what he's seen and done so far, and requests any healing they may have left.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #303

Both women are very worried since you have been gone long.

They have retreated a bit further away from the time they heard obvious combat far ahead.

"Where are the halfling kids?" Jana asks you?

The priestess checks your wounds and seems very suprised by their nature. As you came here just after resting she has still most of her blessings to offer and will do as many healing spells as you wish.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

"Faced a shadow demon that trapped their souls. I've freed them, but it will take them a couple of days to re-manifest themselves.

Please, I know that some of my wounds are likely to require special consecration to heal, but I would really appreciate it if you could heal as many as you could. I fear that I am about to finally face the mastermind behind this ruin. Also, we'll want to make sure to let some temple of light know about this place so they can come through and purify every last square inch of this place.
    "
    Last edited by planswalker; 2012-09-07 at 04:44 PM.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #305

"Just as long as we avoid the Pelorites I agree with this" the priestess says as she begings curing your wounds.

Spoiler
    Show

She basically cures all your non vile damage.

Theoretically if you are not in a hurry she can prepare a conscencrate spell and then heal you fully...

Jana seems suprised by the ease by which you mention these events but says nothing.

"So what do we do? Do we come with you to provide support? I feel a bit weak but I want to help!" she continues.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

LG will invest the time to get a consecrated healing.

"I said a temple of light, not hypocrisy. Even amoral bastards like me have some standards. You'll never catch me going near Pelor."

"The cold gets even more extreme down there. Unless you can have some protection from it, it'll kill you before you can go anywhere. Also, part of the ritual involves a censor that gives off toxic smoke. Unless you are protected from acid as well, you'll be in trouble. If I am not back within a day, go find [Mr Grafty's real name] at the university and tell him about everything that happened, especially the night had that haunts your dreams. The most important thing anyone could do right now is make sure this temple isn't forgotten again. Can I trust you to do that?" diplomacy - (d20+24)[25]

7. - Top - End - #307

Given that you will spend more time in the temple the sister explains that perhaps she can also prepare protection from cold and acid spells hence they can join you but she leaves it to you to decide.

You return a bit further back, as the sister explains she feels this place would not be suitable, and you end up in the room where you found the graves of the arcpriests.

"These guys did not rise hence I assume this place is not that corrupted any more..." she explains and after you all spend the day resting and recuperating she consencrates it. Depending on your answer on if they should come with you or not she will dedicate enough spells to heal you to full.

Once more you wake up to find Jana tired and with sunken eyes and she confirms that once again she had nightmares...

When you make your request to alert Grafty and ensure this temple is taken care of they off course whole-heartidly agree though Jana seems very worried about you and your health.

On a side note, when you mention how Pelor is corrupt and you are aware of it, the Sister raises an eyebrow and stays in silent thought for a while.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

"If you can do that, I would love the help."

(about Pelor) "There are certain secrets that are stored in the dragons' lore that the Church of the Burning Hate would rather have been forgotten."

Upon seeing how drained Jana is, LG says, "Jana, I promise you: one way or another, this ends today. I will either find that night had or die trying."

With that, LG leads them down to the ritual-portal room.

9. - Top - End - #309

The Sister whispers to you.

"Perhaps despite the protections its best if the girl stays here? She might be strong and strong willed but if you think this will be the final confrontation then it might not be safe for her..."

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

"Jana is leading this quest."

He turns to his protege. "It is your call."

11. - Top - End - #311

The Sister seems unhappy with your decision.

"I am unsure I can condone taking this young child further down an abattoir of evil..." she says.

Jana looks at you and her and shakes her head.

"She is right but I think its safer for us to all be together... if I stay here, what if something comes to get me?"

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

"Jana isn't "this child". She is one of the most gifted people I know. She has seen more already in her young life than most grown men. Besides, like she said, would you rather leave her alone on this level of the... abattior of evil? If she says we stick together, we stick together." diplomancy - (d20+24)[34]

That settled in his mind, he leads them back down and to the smokey portal room, hoping that the censor is still smoking.

13. - Top - End - #313

Given that you spent the day resting for the woman to prepare the appropriate spells, it isnt but repeating the ritual with the other seed that you have is not a problem.

The Sister first casts Endure elements to herself and to Jana and also protection from acid, once again to herself and Jana. Assuming you also hand out other masks taken from the High Priests they are also safe from the toxic fumes.

Once again the ritual is performed and once again you can sense the portal through the thick smog.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

LG will lead them through. No point in having come this far if they're not going to go through with it.

15. - Top - End - #315

The purple light seems to fade and the archway becomes evident.

You pass through this archway and down the “steps” of deep lilac, which you can see.

The Sister frowns and cautions.

"I feel destructive energy from the core black walls. Do not touch the core of the black while descending the steps..."

Spoiler
    Show

With your spellcraft you can also tell that the walls seems to have an ongoing disintergrate effect on them... activated by touch.

Whats worse due to the temperature drop the steps are slick and its easy to slip and fall or reach out to touch the wall.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

"If you feel yourself slipping, let yourself fall. Do NOT try to catch yourself on the wall."

LG leads them down.

Spoiler
    Show
    if necessary, taking 10 on balance for a 13

17. - Top - End - #317

You have dared all and descended the spiralling purple steps formed by the strange column of gray smoke, lilac light, and jet black. This swirling, pulsing column of radiation has opened a means of entrance to somewhere far beneath the surface of the earth - or perhaps to some place not of this earth.

All of you feel the press of time, a sense of urgency. How long will this strange gate remain open? You all hope not to learn the hard way as you hurry down a seemingly endless flight of “steps” made of the purple radiance.

Ten minutes seems more like ten hours, but at last you have come to what must be your final goal, for the stairs of light give way to more mundane ones of black stone.

You are now descending steps cut into the sides of a circular chamber only 20’ across - just the diameter of the pillar of radiance you descended through. As you look up, the pillar stretches far above you. So far you have a way of return!

You note that the walls, steps, and the floor of this place are of needle-sharp mineral. To touch it will be to inflict many wounds upon the member so doing. To brush against it with your robes will be to risk shredding these protective garments.

You must be careful! There is an opening about 12’ wide in the south
    wall and at the same time this bottom level is freezing cold to the point where the robes protect your body but if you have even a single piece of flesh uncovered and unprotected you suffer increasing frostbites...

Spoiler
    Show

Balance check and fortitude save DC 10 (it goes up by 1 every minute spent in these chambers) or suffer 1d6 cold damage in this room.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

fortitude - (d20+13)[32]
    balance - (d20+3)[16]

LG will lead them forward.

19. - Top - End - #319

You all manage to easily avoid touching the walls and maintaining your balance and advance.

Your protection and natural fortitude make the cold a trivial thing for you right now but you realise how careful you must be not to touch any metalic surfaces with a naked hand or otherwise.

The torches the women carry almost gutter out and they have to use their hands and bodies in an effort to keep the flames from dieing.

You lead the group forward into the next room, a hemispherical chamber, with confidence and despite the feeling of urgency somehow you also have a feeling of belonging in this area...

As you enter this hemispherical chamber of some 40 diameter, the name of the place comes unbidden to your minds.

It is called the cyst, The Black Cyst.

From where you stand near the entrance, the two torches cast only a faint light to where some form lies near the center of the place. This shape is so black that it is absolutely lightless, and it seems to absorb all the radiance from your torches. As was true in the entry chamber, so too here: all is needle-rock.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

LG will motion for them to wait by the entrance and he will investigate the black figure.

21. - Top - End - #321

THE FORM ON THE BLOCK:

In the center of the room there is a stone block. It is about 12‘ long, 4‘ high, and 6’ wide. On it rests a shape wrapped in black haze. Under the haze is something so black that all light is lost to it.

The eyes hurt to look at it, and the gaze avoids doing so. As you move around this block of needle-rock you notice that an occasional ripple seems to pass through the lightless, haze-swathed form. Is it stirring? You can’t be sure.

On the other side of the block you note devices of black metal. Two great metal cressets, each with three arms, stand at the head and foot of the block. There is a step-like block of the same jagged stone set against the main part - perhaps the step is part of it, for you can detect no seam. The smaller piece is 4’ long, 3’ wide, 2’ high. To either side of it are low stands with three cuplike extensions.

Beyond this, the place is bare and empty.
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2012-09-10 at 02:29 AM.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

LG thinks he knows what the exact ratio model is for, and he's tired of playing the ritualists' games. He begins using his sonic breath to try to destroy the cuplike extensions.

23. - Top - End - #323

Your anger and efforts go to waste as some time later you realise your sonic blasts have not managed to affect it. The whole room though does vibrate softly from your roaring sonic attacks as if its sensitive to sound...

Spoiler
    Show

Copy pasting the description so you dont think I am making it up:

(This figure is more than adamantine-hard and radiates a strong
    dweomer of protection. Furthermore it seems protected by a field of force; blows, fire, energy, magic of any sort seem to leave it, and the column it
    is a virtual part of, undisturbed, unharmed. It can not be
    moved or pried, or otherwise affected.)

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ... damn, I hate it when the module forces you to solve things their way.

the thing is, I'm getting tired of these puzzles. They're as much an exercise in guessing the specific way the creators thought to solve them than any real exercise in creativity. LG also would rather do just about anything than rouse the sleeping form of Tharizdun.

Irritated to no small end, LG will bathe the lying form in fire.

"Listen, Tharizdum, I am not interested in doing any more of your stupid rituals. I've sabotaged pieces of the ritual on my way here to ensure no one else can follow my footsteps. Nothing that'd stop someone really determined, but that can be arranged. The thing is, you're asleep and gone, and I don't really care if you awaken or not at this point. All I really want to do is track down the night hag that is haunting my protege's dreams and kill it. Help me find it, and I'll do everything in my power to make sure your ritual chambers are restored so your cult can come back some day and free you." diplomacy - (d20+24)[30]
    Last edited by planswalker; 2012-09-10 at 02:44 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325

Spoiler
    Show

The hint here is that the room revebrates from your sonic attacks... and you have the Horn which ... well... has been pivotal in many of the ritual areas here...

I can come out as DM and tell you, no matter WHAT you do, Tharizdun will not awaken as part of this module so you dont have to worry about that...

Also -some- of the puzzles are random... BUT remember you did not explore a whole wing of the overtemple (in the room with the 4 faced statue you went straight down and did not explore the upper rooms) which would have provided more clues and stuff via murals, forgotten books/tomes etc...

The form is unaffected by your flames and having switched from sonic to fire means slowly the tremors from the sound pass...

It also does not seem to be bothered to answer your questions... you have the feeling that there is an echo of the Mad God here but he is at best dormant if not just a forgotten memory...

As time passes though the cold intensifies.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    yeah, I get that I've skipped some things that likely would have filled in more backstory. I'd also guessed that the horn was the thing. I just really don't like how I'm being lead by the nose to do things the module creator's way without any real input in how I accomplish things. It's all "figure out the ritual and do it exactly or have absolutely no way to advance" that's getting to me. I'm being tired of being told what to do. It's not you, though. I just really get tired of one-solution puzzles pretty fast. I play dnd to express creativity, and this module provides little of that.

LG takes a breath and calms down. The rational part of his brain knows that if awakening Tharizdun was so easy, it would have been done and the city would have been screwed centuries ago. Still, he hates the prospect of rousing even just a small aspect of a god. They tend to not take irreverence well, and LG barely has any for Tiamat, the only deity he reveres. Still, he has to find that night hag and this is in his way. Time to deal with it.

LG puts the ritual horn of nose-leading to his mouth and blows it.

27. - Top - End - #327

Spoiler
    Show

I know what you mean and I agree... all published modules are like that... some more than others. This particular one has the ritualistic aspects which like ritual in 'real life' (like rituals of the Catholic Church) need to be done exactly the same way in order for them to "work"...

On the bright side you are almost there and the rewards of this adventure have been pretty amazing...

The Iron Horn is sounded this most 'sacred' of places and the effects are immidiatetly felt...

The whole Black Cyst begins to tremble violently making it difficult to stand.

Spoiler
    Show

Balance Check DC 15

From behind you hear a yelp of pain as the Sister loses her balance and falls on the needle sharp ground suffering (3d6)[10] damage as she is cut in numerous places. Jana manages to keep steady as the tremors subside.

When the reverberations cease and the trembling of the Cyst subsides, you are astonished to note that there is now a broad doorway in the south wall where before there was nothing but stone. You step near and peer into the place beyond.

There you see a small chamber of about 10‘ diameter. There are two large
    chests of the now-familiar black metal. The glyphs stating Tharizdun’s name are upon each, and they appear seamless. Nothing else is in this circular space.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    yeah, can't complain about that at all. Still, the sooner I'm done, the happier I'll be.

balance - (d20+3)[23]

"May I suggest we move forward?" He calls out before stepping through.

29. - Top - End - #329

You easily manage to keep your balance and advance into the small, previously secret room.

You now stand before the two black chests. There seem to be no way to open them... no locks or latches... the name of the Mad God resurfaces in your mind and you feel a soft pain where you had been pricked by the little box before.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

LG will put his pricked finger on the left chest and whisper the god's name.