New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Having fun working on getting my cdl

Heh, so, my current career status is "garbage factory job that will never pay enough to live on" so I decided to improve my situation by getting my cdl license. I looked for schools in my area, found a good one, and they told me about the wondrous thing called a WIOA Grant. Basically, its a one time grant you can get that will pay for up to a certain amount of training costs in certain fields, of which drivers is one of them. So I say sweet, and get started on applying. So far its not so bad, mostly time consuming. I had to go sign up, take a workshop course on stuff like resume building or soft skills like teamwork and such, then take a test to see if I could function at a 9th grade level of education. Which is honestly harder than you might think as its been like 20 years since I had to figure out the square footage of an apartment that is very much so not a square.

Anyways, right now im on a list of prerequisites, including getting a physical and drug test, no problem, my driving record for three years, no problem, my arrest records local and state, fricking expensive, but no surprises there, then take a permit course. Hopefully once all that is done, I can get the grant money, then sign up for the actual course and within a month or so start applying to driver jobs. Yay! Its a surprising amount of work, but it will save me starting off 2500-4k in debt, depending on which course I sign up for. And being a driver, even if I stick with local driving, is a career that can pay a solid living wage. I am getting kinda old to not have on yet, so hopefully this works out well.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Default Re: Having fun working on getting my cdl

First off, good luck. I admire anyone who can muster the initiative to change jobs just because their present one is garbage.

I don't know what your long-term plans are, but I hope you've considered that "driver" is a job that is, right now, in the process of being automated out of existence. It'll take a while to vanish completely, but I suspect jobs will be pretty hard to find within about 15 years, and you'll start feeling the pressure well before that.

Still, good luck.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Having fun working on getting my cdl

Well im currently unemployed so its less that im changing jobs while working and more that I have discovered I have little to no hope to get a job that pays a livable wage right now because I lack any marketable skills. As for driving going extinct, eh, its possible, but that still gives me 15 years to build up experience and money, and a class b license is good for a lot of random jobs that likely wont be automated completely.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."