New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Baltimore/DC Area Meetup 2012

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    He's a Swede. That means he's immune to cold damage but takes critical hits from moose while driving.
    The moose is on the road, by the way.. Not in the car driving...
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm still bummed I can't go to this due to being a groomsman in a wedding. I live in Philadelphia! That's just a skip and a jump away!
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #273
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I'm still bummed I can't go to this due to being a groomsman in a wedding. I live in Philadelphia! That's just a skip and a jump away!
    So you could Skip the wedding and Jump to the meetup instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archonic Energy
    Thanks KuReshtin, Chief Nerd-Hurder of the UKitP Clan.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teddy View Post
    KuReshtin too, because he's awesome and a Swede, and therefore double awesome.
    Stig-atar by Irbis.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Okay, so at this point I have one guest confirmed as attending, two others that have about a 50-50 chance (both or neither), and another that's not likely.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    Tell your friend he has to get married at the MD Renfest.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #276
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Tell your friend he has to get married at the MD Renfest.
    HAhaha. If it wasn't in Eerie, PA, I'd be likely to attempt. But that would be selfish. Awesome! But selfish. Next time (hopefully sooner than next year?).

Maybe I should throw a Philadelphia event sometime in the future...
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

7. - Top - End - #277
    Barbarian in the Playground

Our drive is pretty much straight up I95. Anyone know of any major delays, construction, toll roads, etc we should know about?

Also, I AM SO FREAKIN EXCITED!

Also also, if you are attending and want me to text you with periodic updates/locations, etc, please message me with your number. I have a new phone, so this SHOULD work out better than it did at the JC meet-up.
    Last edited by Diva De; 2012-10-10 at 11:49 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Little Fears banner by Crimmy
    Queen of Hearts avatar by Alarra

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Could a local provide a sanity check on my plan, please? If we get off a plane at National at 9:30AM Friday, is it reasonable to assume that the Metro can get me to the Smithsonian no later than 11:30 to meet someone for lunch? And after that, to "the Baltimore area" (close enough to be picked up at a station) by 2 or 2:30 to join the expedition to the Poe sites? Or even directly to the Poe house, to catch up with everyone else there?

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

I can confirm that getting from Reagan to the Smithsonian via Metro in that time frame is easily doable. As for the other, as I recall the end of the green line doesn't reach Columbia, and Baltimore is farther than that though I'm unsure as to the length of the drive. This means that we'll be trying to get from DC to Baltimore during the lunch rush hour. Hopefully there won't be as much traffic at that time as there is at the end of the day...

In light of this plan, I can now confirm that I will not be in costume for Saturday as that would require a second bag, and I refuse to lug a second bag around downtown DC for a couple hours when I can (and will) fit everything I otherwise need for the weekend into a backpack.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Diva De View Post
    Our drive is pretty much straight up I95. Anyone know of any major delays, construction, toll roads, etc we should know about?
    For those of you, like me, who like to drive a bit over the speed limit on the interstate; they upped the speed limit in VA to 70 in parts but did not increase the speed that counts as reckless driving. Going 81 in a 70 zone is reckless driving which requires a court appearance. So even if the traffic is going like 75 or faster, don't go over 80
    I tried to be a nurf herder but the nurfs wouldn't listen

11. - Top - End - #281
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Could a local provide a sanity check on my plan, please? If we get off a plane at National at 9:30AM Friday, is it reasonable to assume that the Metro can get me to the Smithsonian no later than 11:30 to meet someone for lunch? And after that, to "the Baltimore area" (close enough to be picked up at a station) by 2 or 2:30 to join the expedition to the Poe sites? Or even directly to the Poe house, to catch up with everyone else there?
    Reagan to Smithsonian....easily, with time to spare. Smithsonian to the furthest north green line stop (closest to Baltimore) will take about 45 mins, then it's about 30-45 mins to our house, or Baltimore in general. Another option (and by far the quickest) is to take a marc train from DC into BWI (10 mins from our house), which only takes about 30 mins (and is $6). The train could also be taken further north into Baltimore.

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    In light of this plan, I can now confirm that I will not be in costume for Saturday as that would require a second bag, and I refuse to lug a second bag around downtown DC for a couple hours when I can (and will) fit everything I otherwise need for the weekend into a backpack.
    Well, we have some costumey stuff. =) You'll have to look through it.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

12. - Top - End - #282

PirateGirl

smile Re: Baltimore/DC Area Meetup 2012

@Mango: what everyone else says is true. You'll have plenty time. Wish I could help you get from DC to B-more, but my vehicle only seats 2.

@ Diva: Springfield VA (just south of 495) can be a pain, but there's no good way around it. You can go either way around 495, obviously, but going south/outbound/toward Alexandria will allow you too avoid the dreaded construction at Tyson's Corner. That is terrible at any time of day.

"I don't swear just for the hell of it." -Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind

13. - Top - End - #283
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alarra View Post
    Another option (and by far the quickest) is to take a marc train from DC into BWI (10 mins from our house), which only takes about 30 mins (and is $6). The train could also be taken further north into Baltimore.
    My public transit skill just went up another level. Thank you for the information. It is truly awesome to know that I can go from the DC metro to the Light Rail so easily. Granted it's pretty much only usable on the weekends with their operating hours.... but it's very nice to know.

That said, I'll probably still be driving up on Friday. Also, I just drove I95 last week and there were no noticeable slowdowns. (I took 95 to avoid the Balt-Wash, which is a better drive IMO after about 8PM when there are few cars on it, but not before when it's a parking lot)
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Blah. Well I can't hang out with y'all on Sunday and I just learned I have to work a full day Friday. But I will show up Friday night and of course attend all Saturday activities.

15. - Top - End - #285
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Okay. Susan and I will be dropping in at the La Quinta Inn sometime around 6 and 7 PM tomorrow in the room where the continental breakfast is served. That is where you folks will be after the Poe tourism is done?

If I have not seen inthread or otherwise received an acknowledgement by tomorrow 8 AM, I'll be dialing Zeb.

Looking forward to seeing you all!

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

-Valery Legasov in Chernobyl

16. - Top - End - #286

That is the current plan, and that is the correct LaQuinta.

About taking the MARC to BWI on the weekends, the Penn Line is M-F only, sadly.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

17. - Top - End - #287
    Troll in the Playground

I thought that Mark Twain was merely an author. I had no idea he had given his name to a noble beast of magical transportation.

Anyway, looking at the maps, it appears that upon arrival at the airport, we can get directly onto the blue Metro line and take it to Smithsonian station to meet up with his friend for lunch, then get directly on the orange line to New Carrollton, and take the MARC train from there. I assume from the indications here that we will egress at the BWI Marshall station. How often do MARC trains run?
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #288

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    Anyway, looking at the maps, it appears that upon arrival at the airport, we can get directly onto the blue Metro line and take it to Smithsonian station to meet up with his friend for lunch, then get directly on the orange line to New Carrollton, and take the MARC train from there. I assume from the indications here that we will egress at the BWI Marshall station. How often do MARC trains run?
    Penn Line Northbound Schedule

You can also embark at Union Station in downtown DC if that'd be easier for you.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

19. - Top - End - #289
    Troll in the Playground

If we meet his friend for lunch at 11:30, assume about an hour for that, we should be able to make the 1:20 train from Union Station, which will put us at the BWI station at 1:57. Whether we board at US or NC remains to be determined, but doesn't really matter as we have the same ETA either way.

So I guess that's what our plan will be, and one of us can call someone if we need to alter things.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #290
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

doctor has given me a stamp of approval so i am coming, i just need to figure out my schedule

Now I am planning on commuting back and forth from northern VA, I have no interest in Poe stuff and i don't like drinking games or being around major drinking. so knowing this, when should i be there and when do i not want to be there?

21. - Top - End - #291

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacTheHungry View Post
    doctor has given me a stamp of approval so i am coming, i just need to figure out my schedule

Now I am planning on commuting back and forth from northern VA, I have no interest in Poe stuff and i don't like drinking games or being around major drinking. so knowing this, when should i be there and when do i not want to be there?
    Come to the previously linked LaQuinta around 7'ish, I'd say, and look for us in the breakfast room.

Also, just to clarify again, the purpose of the "Beer University" game (which will be happening Saturday night and will not be the only thing going on) is NOT to get totally snot-faced and see who throws up in someone else's shoes first. It is to help those who have an interest in a deeper understanding of the various beer styles get a sample of what craft beer fans are talking about in a way that's more entertaining than a seminar or a tasting. We'll be drinking out of 4 ounce glasses similar to the ones that brewpubs use to give samples, not pint glasses. So, while it's a game that will involve drinking, I wouldn't really call it "a drinking game". We're not hosting a frat party or anything.

Also, for further mind easing, getting lousy drunk does not usually happen at our meetups (here in MD or the ones in JC), and a number of the attendees don't even drink and still manage to have a good enough time to want to keep coming back.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

I have dug around and I have more games than I thought, here is the list of games I am bringing:

The Game of Life - because I ran across it and said why not

MONOPOLY, Garfield Collector’s edition

Risk

Settlers of Catan

Seafarers of Catan

Battle Cry – a fun two player civil war battle game

The Good, the Bad, and the Munchkin

Star Munchkin

Munchkin Impossible – I am sensing a pattern

Super Munchkin

Munchkin Bites – How many of these do I have?

Munchkin – the original

EDIT: hmm, it might not be worth driving home friday night. Anyone need a roomate friday night? i will pay half even if i just get the foldout couch/bed
    Last edited by IsaacTheHungry; 2012-10-11 at 06:38 PM.

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Heading for the airport now. See everyone soonish!

24. - Top - End - #294
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'll arrive at the inn around 7-8 PM. Looking forward to meeting y'all.
    Last edited by TSGames; 2012-10-12 at 05:34 AM.
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

25. - Top - End - #295

So guess what closed down last week due to lack of funding? The Poe House.

Apparently the city cut its funding, and so they closed. They hope to re-open next year under new management, being run by a non-profit. So...we can still go look at the outside of the house? And the graveyard a few blocks away?

But mostly I am just heartbroken. All the sad.

Anyone have anything they wanna do in DC instead, this afternoon?
    Spoiler
    Show

Little Fears banner by Crimmy
    Queen of Hearts avatar by Alarra

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Be advised, the temperature is expected to drop below 0C/30F and may bottom around -6C/20F. Suggest dressing accordingly and be prepared for cold damage. Or polymorphing into a polar bear, but that tends to upset the city police.

Respectfully,

Brian P.
    "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid."

27. - Top - End - #297
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Hitting the old ski/snow stuff now. for those who are travaling lite and don't have much in the way of heavy coats, hats, and scarfs; i will bring a pile of extras. Just in case

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm home from work, where should I be???

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

Here, I think . In the room where the "continental breakfast is served". That's where I'm going, anyway.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Titan in the Playground

Planetar

I'm at the inn. Where is everybody? I'm in the lobby. The breakfast room is dark.