New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Baltimore/DC Area Meetup 2012

I would love to visit, but I have reservations for Florida the next week. Maybe next year?

Lexington III, my Brute. Inner Circle. ! Melody

2. - Top - End - #62
    Barbarian in the Playground

We are blowing off SCAR-owinds and a closer Ren Faire 2 weeks later, just to attend this one.

Also my 10-year high school reunion.
    Last edited by Diva De; 2012-08-10 at 07:37 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Little Fears banner by Crimmy
    Queen of Hearts avatar by Alarra

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diva De View Post
    Also my 10-year high school reunion.
    So nothing too important then?
    Awesome avatar by Kurien.

Good Decisions come from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Decisions. Bad Decisions come from Tequila.

I am B.
    Are you B?

4. - Top - End - #64

Quote Originally Posted by Krade View Post
    So nothing too important then?
    Precisely.

Also, reading your quote reminds me of something I read yesterday.
    "Never hold in your farts. They travel up through your body to your brain. And that's where sh*tty ideas come from."
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

*waves shyly*

Ummmm hi,

I've been thinking about taking a trip to Trogland to meet some of you folks (broadening my horizons and all that). It's going to take me a little while to save up the money for the trip out but I was curious....would any of you be interested in meeting me?

I don't think I'll be able to raise the cash quickly enough for this meet-up but if there's going to be another a few months down the line....?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

YES. You should visit! If you can't come to this one, then the SE Trogland meetup (which I can never go to but it features a whole heckton of cooler playgrounders than I) is in June!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

Ditto to everything Mauvey said, except for the 'I never go' part, cause I always go.

I was outzombied by the baby!
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Amotis View Post
    Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

*checks flight prices*

Actually, the October one might be doable - if someone has a sofa or a floor I can sleep on. I still have a few months to save and a credit card that is pristine and unsullied at the moment. =p

There's a couple of folks I need to prod as well. I'll keep you silly American types posted.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

I've been putting off making this post for several days now, but oddly enough delay has somehow failed to either make it better or offer a more palatable alternative. Right now I'm looking at "Hopefully Next Year," unless something changes drastically within the next couple of weeks.

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #70

Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    I've been putting off making this post for several days now, but oddly enough delay has somehow failed to either make it better or offer a more palatable alternative. Right now I'm looking at "Hopefully Next Year," unless something changes drastically within the next couple of weeks.
    This makes me sad. I need to see Phil more than once a year. I NEEDS!!!
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #71

Unless someone can front me $7000 to put my credit card back in the pristine and unsullied condition, I'll sadly have to mark this as a "Next Year" thing as well.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Part of II.I.
    Legionary of Valor
    Inner Circle
    OOC Mafioso

I'm back! Sorta. Not really. Kinda though.

12. - Top - End - #72

Aw, bummer!
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

13. - Top - End - #73
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gryffon View Post
    In fact, I want to attend so badly, I may even be willing to share a room. *GASP*
    Is that something you're still considering?

Phil the Piratical Platypus avatar by Serpentine

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

So, Trolls, I seem to recall you mentioning something about some sort of public transportation station being near your cave. Can you refresh my memory on the details?
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

15. - Top - End - #75

Is that something you're still considering?
    Indeed. We are not sure SirSix will be able to come, but we were keeping the possibility of getting a room and sharing with someone to help offset costs without completely taking up all the spare oxygen at the Troll Cave.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey folks,

Would anyone be able to put me up for a day or two at the meet, or failing that could they recommend some nice to stay close by that isn't too expensive?

17. - Top - End - #77

PirateGirl

smile Re: Baltimore/DC Area Meetup 2012

Please count me in. My entire body took a vote, and with the exception of my shoulder, we are all a "definite". The shoulder voted "maybe", however, and unfortunately it has veto power. However, it is doing its best to heal.

One more thing ... I don't live near Baltimore. In fact, I am in Falls Church, Virginia, an hour's drive away, going east around 495. But what I do have is room. So if your inability to afford a hotel room is keeping you away, and if you can either drive yourself or finagle a ride from someone else at the Monkey Motel, then it might be a solution to your problems.

One more important consideration: I have pets, including a 50 pound dog. My dog is friendly and well-trained; but if you have allergies or are uncomfortable around dogs (no matter how impeccable their credentials) you will not be happy here.

Other amenities (besides the dog) include actual beds, comfy sofas, laundry, and coffee. Monkey makes damn fine coffee.

Please take a good, honest look at a map, and seriously consider how you will get from the Monkey Motel to the Troll Cave. Please keep in mind that the party is at Zeb and Alarra's place, so anyone who stays at the Monkey Motel will be schlepping back and forth in the wee hours after a long, long day of merrymaking. But, if the commute is something that might work for you, let me know.

Even if my shoulder vetos my own attendance, folks are welcome to stay.

-Monkey

"I don't swear just for the hell of it." -Henry Drummond, Inherit the Wind

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Put me down as a likely.
    True I spend a lot of time lurkering but I have had simi-active periods in the past so I think I am welcome. Also I bring game systems, several versions of munchkin, movies and other fun things

Note: I live in fairfax, va and plan to commute. As this takes me near falls church I am willing to shuttle people between meetup and munkey's place.

Edit: if anyone is planning on using my rides and I change my mind about coming, don't worry I will still give the rides to and from even if I can't stick around.

Also if you are looking at ticket prices I can pick anyone up from DCA and IAD airports as they are occationaly cheaper the BWI and have some other airline choices.

Edit 2: if I am picking up multiple people from airport and there flight are less then 2 hours apart I may have the first people wait for the secound to show up so I only need one trip
    Last edited by IsaacTheHungry; 2012-08-20 at 02:03 PM.
    I tried to be a nurf herder but the nurfs wouldn't listen

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    So, Trolls, I seem to recall you mentioning something about some sort of public transportation station being near your cave. Can you refresh my memory on the details?
    We are very near the light rail, which will run you north and south through Baltimore. We live within walking distance of the furthest south station. We are not remotely near DC public transportation, it's like a 30 min drive. There's probably buses around here too, but I've never taken one. We do have no problem driving around and picking people up though if need be.

Spoiler
    Show

Alarra ate all my awesome and now she's always acknowledged as awe-inspiring awesome. Alliteration aside, Alarra is awesome.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

The light rail being distinct and separate from the Metro?

Edit: Also, if we're looking into renting a van to take people to the Ren Festival again, there's the possibility of simply picking it up at the airport and bringing it over on Friday...
    Last edited by mangosta71; 2012-08-21 at 11:26 AM.
    Delightfully abrasive in more ways than one
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Mango:you sick, twisted bastard <3
    I think Krade is protesting the use of the word mad in in the phrase mad scientist as it promotes ambiguity. Are they angry? Are they crazy? Some of both? Not to mention, it also often connotates some degree of evilness. In the future we should be more careful to use proper classification.

Mango is a dastardly irate unhinged scientist, for realz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sartharina View Post
    Evil's awesome because of the art.

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by mangosta71 View Post
    The light rail being distinct and separate from the Metro?

Edit: Also, if we're looking into renting a van to take people to the Ren Festival again, there's the possibility of simply picking it up at the airport and bringing it over on Friday...
    Yeah, the Light Rail is Baltimore and is all above ground and only goes North-South. The Metro, of course, is DC's rail system and, unfortunately, they do not easily connect (though for a short trip on Amtrak and some schlepping it CAN be done).

I'm not sure if we're going to rent the large van again this year or not. We'll investigate this more when the meetup is closer.

EDIT: As far as nearby places to stay, there's a post upthread that has some links to recommendations, but it might be best to see where others are staying in order to coordinate travel to and fro.
    Last edited by Zeb The Troll; 2012-08-22 at 11:08 AM.
    Want to meet some of the most awesome people on the internet? Come to the Baltimore/DC Area RenFest Meetup 2012!

22. - Top - End - #82

I believe Baltimore has a metro too, which does connect (sort of) to the light rail system. I've never used it though and am really not all that familiar with it.

Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alarra View Post
    I believe Baltimore has a metro too, which does connect (sort of) to the light rail system. I've never used it though and am really not all that familiar with it.
    Speaking from experience, it is possible to take DC public transit to reach the light rail. However, This involves taking a bus. While that may not sound like much, I do recall the MTA bus route maps being a HUGE pain to interpret, and the buses just sort of show up whenever, instead of on schedule. So, if someone is feeling really brave, they could fly into the Reagan and take public transit all the way up to Baltimore via Metro -> MTA bus -> Light Rail but this will be a pain in the neck and will involve quite a bit of planning to make sure that all of your transit is within the operating hours of the Metro, the MTA bus, and the Light Rail.

That being said, when is this meet up? I've been on the forums for a while and I've never attended a meetup. My money's a little tight right now, but I can bring Vodka.

I just moved back to the DC area to stay and I figured it would be nice to meet some fellow Playgrounders in the area. I know I haven't been the most active poster, but I'd really like to join in on the fun if you'll have me.
    [EDIT]
    *DERP*
    But I can still bring the Vodka, yes?
    Last edited by TSGames; 2012-08-24 at 07:39 PM.
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Skami Pilno View Post
    So, if someone is feeling really brave, they could fly into the Reagan and take public transit all the way up to Baltimore via Metro -> MTA bus -> Light Rail but this will be a pain in the neck and will involve quite a bit of planning to make sure that all of your transit is within the operating hours of the Metro, the MTA bus, and the Light Rail.
    Or you can fly into Reagan (DCA) and have me pick you up although depending on how early you arrive I might need you to hang out at monkey's place or visit DC for if several of you use my services I will be driving you to the meetup in groups. I also can pick up from IAD airport.
    I tried to be a nurf herder but the nurfs wouldn't listen

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ettin in the Playground

Umm, a further question....

Assuming all goes to plan and Monkey is able to offer me a place to stay, I should be coming. I'm not too sure about the Ren-faire part though - I've never been to one of these things and I don't know if any special costumes are needed or where I'd go to get one put together. Is dressing up mandatory?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by IsaacTheHungry View Post
    Or you can fly into Reagan (DCA) and have me pick you up although depending on how early you arrive I might need you to hang out at monkey's place or visit DC for if several of you use my services I will be driving you to the meetup in groups. I also can pick up from IAD airport.
    Y'know, now that you mention it: I can also provide rides to people. I live off of a metro stop on the Maryland side of WMA. So if there's too many people filling up your car, they could also metro over to me and I could take them the rest of the way.
    TopSecret's First Ever Two Page Tabletop Contest
    If you have any questions, want to talk about the contest entries, or you just want to hang out with cool people, visit our forums.

27. - Top - End - #87

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Umm, a further question....

Assuming all goes to plan and Monkey is able to offer me a place to stay, I should be coming. I'm not too sure about the Ren-faire part though - I've never been to one of these things and I don't know if any special costumes are needed or where I'd go to get one put together. Is dressing up mandatory?
    Dressing up is not necessary, and most of the people who attend a Ren Faire don't wear costumes at all. But many people like to do it because it's fun.

Alarra mentioned in a previous post that she and Zeb were making a stop at the thrift shop for costume-y type items. So if you want to dress up, you'll have the opportunity.

The Maryland Ren Faire is one of the best kinds of fun there is. Not going would be silly of you. That would be like not eating a chocolate cake because you're worried you don't have the right kind of fork!

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh don't get me wrong, hun. I want to go - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to cheese anyone off by not being in costume.

....so someone mentioned cake....? *looks hopeful*

29. - Top - End - #89

PirateGirl

Quote Originally Posted by The Succubus View Post
    Oh don't get me wrong, hun. I want to go - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to cheese anyone off by not being in costume.

....so someone mentioned cake....? *looks hopeful*
    No-one will be cheezed off. Or on. Or any other preposition.

Sure, I'll make a cake.

30. - Top - End - #90

ERMAHGERD STERMPERNK!

This is still a thing, right? Steampunk-y costuming if possible?
    Spoiler
    Show