New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Pirates of the Aether

Long ago, in a time forgotten to all but the most learned of scholars, Wizard fought Wizard.

It was a period of darkness for all the people of the world. Thousands died each day, thousands more gave their lives to save what few they could.

In the end, the wizards fought to a standstill, their magics, now more terrible and sinister than the worst nightmares of the most hellish creatures that ever walked the land. The magics loosed were so horrible, that they wrent the very reality of the earth itself, twisting it into hostile life.

Realizing their mistakes at last, many of the wizards imbued what land they could with the power to be saved from this madness, giving thier very lives into the magics. These paltry lands becme the only refuge for many, as they hurtled upward into the sky.

The people watched with horror as the world blow descended into chaos and death. Fire walks unchecked, storms rage across the old world destroying anything caught in their path. Magic now vies with magic for dominance in the old world.

Soon the lands were raised high enough they could not see the madness that lay beneath the clouds, and were quickly forgotten as new problems arose. Food, shelter, and keeping everyone from falling off the edge of the world were priorities for many. Vast amounts of farmland were there, just out of reach. Just beyond the extent of what could be attained.

It took years, the years turned to decades, and the decades became centuries. But finally, one young wizard learned the answer: Aetherlite. With it, he could build ships to take men back and forth, to grow and harvest crops, to begain industries again, and to find other groups of survivors.

Centuries more have passed, and the various city-islands and kingdoms have grown. A few wars have broken out and piracy between islands is common. One ship, Lady's Gambit has been patrolling for pirates for some time now. But after a month of sailing amidst the lush islands of Serazi, her Captain put in to Port Drethi for supplies and new crew.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pirates of the Aether

"Captain, while we are in port, is everyone's weapons in decent repair? As a weaponsmith, I can't do much for the crews weaponry without the proper materials."

The dragonborn talking to the captain is about six feet tall. He has flickering golden eyes, yellow scaled skin, and a very regal gait. He seems quite at peace with himself. The hand and a half sword at his belt looks quite well crafted, and more importantly, quite functional. His clothing is loose, but functional.

sheet not quite finished yet though.
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2012-07-13 at 04:52 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

This man, on the other hand, is restless, cambering about the deck. Clean-shaven, black hair tied back, he is thin and gaunt. Two cutlasses are sheathed at his hips, and ropes are coiled round his body. Strapped to his back is a vicious looking harpoon. The man's tall frame is hunched as he leans against the railings and pulls a toothpick from his mouth.

'Aye, Captain. Permission to take a day's shore leave while we're in port?' he growls. Then he almost pleads 'Or at least an hour, Sir, anything'

Looking across at the Dragonborn What, Erin, ye never said ye were a weaponsmith before now. Then again, I suppose I've known ye for, what, a week now? If ye can do owt about my cutlass I'd be grateful. Ain't got owt to pay ye with though, but ye could take it out of me share.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Arryl approaches the captain and waits until the dragonborn had finished speaking. While he waited, he shuffled his wings anxiouslly. After the scaled man had finished, the raptoran coughed and said, "I found an error with our wind charts, and if I don't correct it we could potentially wind up miles adrift or lost in a duldrum. I'm going to need at least an hour to rechart our path."
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

See Captain, listen to the navigator! We've got an hour at least! the sailor pleaded.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wordplay View Post
    Looking across at the Dragonborn What, Erin, ye never said ye were a weaponsmith before now. Then again, I suppose I've known ye for, what, a week now? If ye can do owt about my cutlass I'd be grateful. Ain't got owt to pay ye with though, but ye could take it out of me share.
    "I apologize, I assumed when I was the last one to be hired for this journey and the only person you were looking for was a weaponsmith that the connection was obvious. Sure I'll take a look at your cutlass, what do you need done with it?"

Erin turns to the Captain.
    "It appears I do know to stop and get some more supplies, it seams that several of us have reasons to do so. Who do you want to stay behind and guard the ship? I would personally prefer to select the materials myself, as I am probably the only one who knows enough about them."

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Captain Reya doesn't look up from the reports held between her hands. "Yes, yes. Go. Drink, you have the night. Just be back by morn, we sail at first Tine."

Going back to her reports Reya began walking away, but turned back. "Erin, make sure the ships guns are in good order before going ashore."

The captain then proceeded back towards her cabin.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Erin had moved with the others to get off the ship, but then stopped when the captain gave him the command.

Yes of course.

Erin goes over the guns meticulously, noting any that aren't in top-notch shape and making a list of all the parts he needs to fix them.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Arryl has a sudden feeling of unease, and mutters a quick prayer to the protector, asking her t watch over them. He walks over to Erin and asks, "Is there anything I can do? I like to keep a few mending spells ready in case sudden patch jobs are needed."
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

As Erin inspects the guns, he notes that almost all are in good working order. One or two needed the touch holes properly cleaned, but there is a large buildup of powder residue inside number three gun, portside.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

Lynn the Crow suddenly close the book that he was reading.
    "Do you need some help with your charts, navigator?" asks, following Eric and Arryl to the ship's guns. i travelled for this lands for a bit and i knew a little of geography, maybe i can help.
    Only a free night isn't enough to research wizard or knowledges in the city library, he prefers to be useful on board.
    While he's telling this, he tries to remember anything that he had read about Port Dreth during his apprendistate: while the flying ship is relatively safe, he cannot tell the same about all the cities he has visited.

Spoiler
    Show

I need to know only generic knowledges about port dreth: the type of government, who is the ruler, if the city is famous for a particoular event or a particoular guild...
    Knowledges local!
    (1d20+11)[13]
    Last edited by Solipso; 2012-07-14 at 03:54 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Belowdecks, Maia sat sharpening her rapier, checking her bowstring, and preparing her spells. Attention to detaal was what had allowed her to survive this long; missing something now could be fatal. One never knows when some revenge-obsessed fool will show up.. Finished with her checks, she puts her gear on and walks topside.

The sun is bright and hot.This is the kind of place I belong. Gurlat was terrible. Cold and icy all the time.

So, what sort of things are we to find in this port?

Spoiler
    Show
    I am under the impression this is a sandbox, so thus the introduction of new elements.
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rok

*As the crew makes their way about the ship, preparing for their repreive, the massive grate leading ot the cargo hold opens, two immense hands grasping the lip of the deck to haul Rok out from the hold.*

*To say the creature is immense is an understatement. His hands alone are large enough to wrap around most full grown men, and whoever, or whatever led to it's creation had built the thing like a massive, ancient tree, solid and incerdibly powerful. Now if they'd only bothered to give the creation more sense than a stone, he'd be truly frightening.*

*The creature stretches out for a moment, shaking his muzzle with a snort at the fresh air as it stirred his mangy, patched grey and brown fur. Stepping forward a bit, he lowers his head and averts his eyes from the captain, showing throat to her.*
    "Cap'n. Rok come out? Sory hert 'Mitty. Jus play'n. Rok like Citee. Pleese? Be guud. Swear."

*Raising a hand, he makes an 'x' across his chest, but keeps his eyes averted, shifting slightly from one foot to the other as he waits.*

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

I'm going to try to balance the way he speaks - I know it's hard to read misspelled words, but I'll try and keep it manageable. If it is a problem for anyone, just say, and I'll do something different.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Aww, poor Rok. Come on, Captain. He says he's sorry. Let him come out and play.

Discord Tag #4097

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Port Drethi is just barely a blip on the map, if you stand atop the mainmast, you can see the entire town, and more than a few miles of country besides.

For those that look hard enough, there are two taverns in town. The first is the Weary Traveler, the second is the Cannonshot.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

'Well, I daresay that was the case Erin, but whatever ye may think, the Captain doesnae seek my council on hirin'. Here's me weapon. Anything ye could do with it would be much appreciated'.

Kieran hands over one of his cutlasses. As Captain Reya gives permission, Kieran fairly starts away.

'Sorry, Erin, it'll have to wait for later. Just do what ye can'.

Leaving one cutlass with the scaly weaponsmith, Kieran jumps onto the quayside and heads into the port, looking for a tavern, or a good place to trade rumours.

Spoiler
    Show
    Local Knowledge Check on the city (1d20+4)[7]
    Sport Check (1d20+1)[14]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Captain Reya considers the request for moment. brushing a lock of hair from her face, Reya looks up at her large crewmember and sighs.

"You said that last time, Rok. Mittens is still afraid to come abovedecks for anything."

Shuffling her papers into an orderly stack in her hands, she sighs again.

"You have until nightfall, Rok. But," she raises a finger at you. "But, if I hear anything about a mysterious death, anything, anyone, you will be in that hold so long, you will wish we had never hauled you out that Rift-accursed cave we found you in. Understand?"

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Aimari is doing what the rest of the crew knows is normal for her. That is, she's semi-aimlessly roaming around the ship, hidden beneath her cloak. The cloak is a brilliant red with golden highlights - the designs on it are all flames or flame-esque symbols. At the captain's response to Kieran's questions about shore leave, she shifts for a few moments before following her fellow crewman towards the city. This is what she normally does - Aimari almost never actually says something or goes off to do something by herself.

There's a good chance she took the captain's wording to mean that her allowance was actually an order. As she walks across the deck, her bright red hair becomes partially visible as a bit of it comes out from under her hood. Occasionally, Aimari can be seen without it up, which reveals her hair to be a brilliant red. The front of her hair is parted by crimson headpieces, separated into 5 triangular 'shafts'. The back is styled into a braid, which is at least long enough that the end is hidden under her cloak.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran stumbles about the town for a quarter bell, but eventually spots an Inn, squeezed between two larger buildings, a little way from the drop-off. A steady traffic of people going in and out.

Kieran heads inside, and orders a beer. As the barman's pouring the pint he blusters,

'Have one yeself, Lady Bless ye. Just got in on the 'Lady's Gambit'. That's a well omened name if ever I heard one. Only be signed up a fortnight, though. Still, we're shipping off soon. Don't suppose you've heard any rumours abroad? I'm not bothered about the wind and the currents, been a sailor boy and man. It's the rapscallions that look like honest coves as bother me'.

Kieran drinks for a while, then leans over the bar.

'You wouldn't know if they happen to be any folks in this town, that maybe, don't get paid for their labour, ye ken? I might be...in the market for hands'.

Spoiler
    Show
    Diplomacy Check (Improve Barman's disposition) (1d20+5)[16]
    Gather Information Check (Pirates & Slaves) (1d20+8)[13]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

20. - Top - End - #20

Rok

*The smile that spreads across his face is best described as glee, and he nods emphatically.*
    "Aye, cap'n. Aye. No smashn. Jus drink."

*Giving the captain a deep bow, he takes a couple steps back before turning and heading for port. He pays no heed to the looks he garners from the folk - he's used to those. Rumors would spread, for sure. Those who knew of him would likely take note, but were unlikely to follow. One specimin was of little note.*

*Heading to a tavern, Rok takes in the smells and sounds, picking a couple of choice flowers as he goes, pressing them securely in a small book he hides in a pouch.*

*As he ducks and turns to slip in, he looks over to the keep and raises a large hand.*
    "Drink. Big Drink."

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Rok manages to find his way into the Weary Traveler just as "Kieran finishes his first. As Rok asks for a drink the barman wonders if he shouldnt just roll a barrel in for him.

"As fer yer question, ser, not much is goin on round here. Folks is getting ready for the harvest, and soon we'll be up to our ears in corn and wheat."

"There really isn't enough work to go 'round. Specialy not to sailors, as only gonna be here a day. Now, I think I am gonna go get your mate here a barrel."

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Maia follows the others into the Weary Travel, and takes a seat in the corner.

Discord Tag #4097

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank ye barkeep.

Kieran has the wind knocked out of his sails. He looks over at Rok

Well make sure it's just the one for him, if you're serving it by the barrel? Ye don't want to get the fella drunk.

Dolefully he stares into his drink.

Hey, Rok, you got money enough to pay for that? Speaking of which, he turns to the barman How much is a pint and how much a barrel?
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

24. - Top - End - #24

Rok

*Tilting his head slightly, the beast furrows his brow a moment in thought, his jaw visibly clenching as he does. After a moment he nods.*
    "Pay. Aye. Have pay."

*reaching into a small pouch around his neck, he pulls a coin out - it's tarnished silver, and looks miniscule in his fingers, but he sets it gingerly on a table before sitting cross-legged on the floor.*
    "Der. Pay big drink. yes?"

*Looking expectantly at the barkeep, he folds his massive arms across his chest. No might be an answer, but how good of one...*

25. - Top - End - #25
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    A note on currency.
    The types of money used are the same through all the lands, just with different names. They are interchangable with the type of metal.

Copper: Penny, piece, pence
    Silver: Stave, bit, labor
    Gold: Crown, royal
    Platinum: Sovereign

A serving maid approaches Maia, and asks if she would like anything.

At the bar, the barman looks Rok up and down, then glances back to Kieran. "I think you may have it wrong, ser. I have a few sized barrels. Im bringing him one of the smaller ones. Still a bit heavy for me to lift myself though." Still eyeing Rok, "I think a crown would probably do it for him. And fer yer mug, a labor aught do."

Back aboard the Gambit, Captain Reya finishes her paperwork, steps out onto the deck, and spies Gerard milling about.

"Gerard, you're with me. Go below decks gather a party and arm yourselves with muskets. You have five minutes."
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2012-07-14 at 02:05 PM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vixsor Lumin View Post
    Arryl has a sudden feeling of unease, and mutters a quick prayer to the protector, asking her t watch over them. He walks over to Erin and asks, "Is there anything I can do? I like to keep a few mending spells ready in case sudden patch jobs are needed."
    Thanks, but it looks like the only thing that needs doing is some cleaning on this one. Shouldn't take too much work to fix.
    Erin points at portside gun 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Lentrax View Post
    "Gerard, you're with me. Go below decks gather a party and arm yourselves with muskets. You have five minutes."
    "What's going on captain?"

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

"It maybe nothing, Erin. But still, I don't like leaving things to chance. Go Get yourself a musket, and be back here with the others."

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

Aye Sir
    Erin goes and gets a musket, then leaves Kieran's cutlass in Erin's quarters and comes back above deck.
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2012-07-14 at 02:26 PM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Aimari follows her crewmates, seating herself in a corner of the tavern.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

30. - Top - End - #30

Rok

*With a quizzical look at Kieran, Rok points to the coin*
    "No drink? Small big drink? Small big drink? mmmm.."

*The man looks frustrated and shakes his massive head as he growls low in his throat. When he speaks, his voice is just short of booming, rumbling deep in his chest.*
    "No drink! Food. no small small drink. Food. Tasty. That pay."

*settling down, he mutters to himself and scratches absently at one of his horns.*
    "just want drink. laugh. maybe smash... wait. no smash. no, no, no. capn say no smash... awwww.... no smash."