New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default [13th Age] Tales of the Sword Coast (IC)

“When black hound loose is braying/
    And horns sound the call to war/
    No peace shall bear the staying/
    Nor disarm the sea of swords.

No knowledge will save the wisest mage/
    Nor magic the greatest king/
    When fire licks the unbound page/
    The house of gold in blood shall sink.

Two days hence, in fear and sorrow/
    The house of shadows rides/
    A kingdom dreams of tomorrow/
    The champion of light withers, dies.

Come ‘morrow, the blackened sun shall rise.

- excerpt from "The Ninth Portents" of the Prophet Alaundo

She ran. She ran so hard, but the hard ground was slick and rough, and she couldn’t run forever. She was already slowing down. If she could just make it to the stones. If she could make it to the stones, she could hide. There was hope for her there, hope for her child.

The caravan had stopped. Slipped a wheel, the wood splintered as it bounced in a rut. The men had gone - some to find a replacement, others to hunt for food. They would see the smoke of the wagon burning, but they would be too late - too late for the guards who had remained behind, and to late for her.

All that had remained were the very old, the very young, and the few guards with no tracking skills to speak of. Non would be a match for orc reavers. So she ran, knowing the reavers would…

The
    orcs would…

The stone beneath her shifted suddenly. She stumbled, and she fell.

#

This storm was not the worst the Sword Coast had ever weathered, though to those brave or foolish few who traveled her coast would be in no position to make such a distinction. It came in fast, rain and winds and hail hitting the cliffs of the jagged coastline with abandon. It seemed that for now, at least, Talos was fit to rage against the North.

Travelers all, you took shelter in the only structure near to hand - an ancient and weathered barn. Even now the wind whistles through loose boards and sprays the careless with icy rain, the frame shaking with each mighty crash of thunder.

You are not alone - a merchant has taken shelter in the barn as well, his wagon covered in loose bolts of cloth and fur. The horse that had until now pulled the load stands tethered to a sturdy rail, eyes rolling nervously. The man himself is dressed in heavy woolen clothes, with a broad-brimmed hat tugged low over his eyes. Already he has lit a fire in the center of the dirt floor, around which you are gathered - trapped, it seems, for the night.

This is when you roll your icon relationship dice.
    Last edited by Griffith!; 2013-09-24 at 05:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Planetar

Default Re: [13th Age] Tales of the Sword Coast (IC)

Milltyn Goodfellow - Halfling Fighter

Milltyn will stick to the shadows, not to create unease in folks, but to give himself time to study the folks he finds himself with. He does not assume that any of them are not threats, but does assume that any threats are more likely to come from outside the barn. Once satisfied that none of the travelers holed up in the barn are bandits or outlaws, he will evaluate the most defensible side of the barn while taking a peek outside.

The rain makes visibility impossible, he knows, but he feels he must try to secure its perimeter. That is unless he gets distracted by a pretty young thing stranded alone.

"Who am I to resist the opportunity to play the hero?" Milltyn smirks to himself.
    Last edited by Yarael; 2013-09-24 at 07:39 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Keegan Lost-Arrow Half-Orc Sorceror

Keegan sat in a corner back to the wall humming quietly to himself, seemingly untroubled by the storm or the other occupants of the barn.

Hmm... Talos is angry tonight, hopefully not at anyone I know.

Keegan glanced over at Milltyn and shook his head as the halfling peaked out into the rain. Always curious, so typically Hin.
    Last edited by Shyftir; 2013-09-24 at 11:40 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Athenor Hartfell, Human Wizard

The fire was not warm enough to toast the bones. Athenor idly considered boosting it, but dismissed the idea. There was no need to play his hand so early. He glanced around at the other occupants of the barn, his blue eyes shining warmly in the firelight. Outside, the storm raged. He should have read the auguries the day before. Oh well. Too late.

He rummaged in his pack and unearthed his precious supply of tobacco. He pushed it into his pipe expertly, lighting it with a lick of flame from the fire. He puffed deeply and held it for a moment, before letting it out with a relaxed sigh.

"Rough night,"he spoke aloud to no one in particular. "Hope this doesn't leave the roads waterlogged."

5. - Top - End - #5

Esmerelda Wildfellow, Halfling Bard

Esmerelda gently unclasped the case of her lute, opening it to examine the instrument. Careful inspection shown that it had not been damaged by the rain, and so she closed it back up with a relieved sigh. Looking back up at the others gathered around the fire, she took a moment to consider each of them. It was a rather diverse gathering. Half-Orcs, Half-Elves, Humans, and even another one of the hin.

She turned towards him, motioning for him to come closer, "Get back here, boy. Don't worry about intruders. Even the beasts of the wilderness know better than to travel in this weather. Sit by the fire. If you don't stay warm you're bound to catch something."
    Amazing ponified avatar by Madcrafter!

Original avatar by the awesome Savannah:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]STR|18|+5|AC|19
    CON|14|+3|PD|14
    DEX|16|+4|MD|11
    INT|8|+0|Init|+4
    WIS|10|+1|HP|30
    CHA|12|+2|Recoveries|
    [/table]

Character Sheet Background

Milltyn flashes halfling a boyish grin while he sizes her up. Matronly, more concerned with her lute then the storm outside, apparent concern for his welfare. What is her angle?, he wonders, only one way to find out.

Before leaping down from the bale he perched himself on, Milltyn checks in on Keegan out of the corner of his eye. He has not known the half-orc for long, and still wonders why fate brought them together. He had never found it more to difficult to read a man before. How am I to save his life when I cannot see what we are in for?

He saddles on up to the halfling and warms his hands on the fire. His eyes on the opening, always his eyes on the opening. "And what brings such a lovely young hin to this gods forsaken corner of the world, on this miserable night?"

7. - Top - End - #7

Karra Noble - [Barn]

Karra sits with her legs crossed in close proximity to the fire, a look of consternation on her face as she stares blankly at the barn door. Emerging from this trance-like state she sighs in exasperation at her current predicament. Glancing down at the satchel bag on her hip containing the sealed correspondence intended for Neverwinter, she begins to wonder if this spell of inclement weather will ever taper off.

I can't afford to be delayed by this storm for much longer. If things don't clear up in short order than I'll just have to brave the elements and hope for the best.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-09-26 at 05:28 AM.
    Currently DMing:

Adventures in the Nentir Vale: IC OOC GS

Valiant Hearts: IC OOC GS

Currently Playing:

Quote Originally Posted by Creed View Post
    EXACTLY 12 NOON.
    Like a boss, Hircine, like a boss.

8. - Top - End - #8

A full-throated and mirthful laugh escaped Esmerelda at the young man's comment. She looked to him, shaking her head even as she grinned, "I worry for your eyesight if you think me a young hin, boy. As for what brings me here? The storm, of course. If you're asking what has me traveling the roads, well.." She gave him an idle shrug, "I'm not getting any younger, and I want to travel one last time."

Her eyes glinted in the firelight, the older hin sizing up the man, "And what of you? What brings such a strapping and brash young lad out here? On an adventure, perhaps?"

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9

Planetar

Spoiler
    Show
    {table]STR|18|+5|AC|19
    CON|14|+3|PD|14
    DEX|16|+4|MD|11
    INT|8|+0|Init|+4
    WIS|10|+1|HP|30
    CHA|12|+2|Recoveries|
    [/table]

Character Sheet Background

"Oh, just taking in the sites of the world myself, milady," Milltyn's eyes stray onto the the lovely half-elf seated with them at the fire. She wears her nervousness too thinly, it will get her in trouble.

"Road is just another word for home, for the likes of us," Milltyn gives the hin his best stray dog eyes, the corners crinkling a bit. He has a good five days stubble, rivulets of rain water still drip down his nose. His cloak thread bare and patchy make him look for all the world like that adorable mutt every girl cannot help but to resist. I wonder if the Lady, did not but send to protect the wrong party. For sure I find my time better spent with this lass than Lord Moody over there, Milltyn chuckles to himself.

"Milady, perhaps you would be so kind as to play a ballad or ditty? Something light to warm our hearts and lift our spirits." Milltyn gives the half-elf a quick glance to sees the affect his suggestion has on her, Will she be amused or is she too deep within her troubles?

10. - Top - End - #10

SolithKnightGuy

Keegan Lost-Arrow

If anyone was paying attention to the half-orc in the corner they'd see a big grin widening across his swarthy features. That Robin. What's the word? oh yes, Incorrigible.

He had only know the hin for a few days but they got on fairly well. Keegan generally liked anyone who treated him as an equal. Despite the fact that his blood was as elfin as it was orcish, people tended to judge him by the actions of his grandfather's people.

11. - Top - End - #11

She considered his request for only the briefest of moments, "Yes, I think I could manage that. I shall play something to rouse our spirits, if my fingers still hold the skill they had in youth."

Once more, the lute case was opened and the instrument was lifted gently from its silk-lined confinements. Esmerelda carefully fingered the strings, taking a few moments to make sure that it was properly tuned before settling in. An old song came to mind, one she had learned from a fellow harper many years ago. Her eyes lit up, the words returning like fond friends. True to her word, the hin's fingers worked quickly, bringing the lovely tune to life and carrying it throughout the ramshackle barn.

"Climb that trail
    Break down that door
    Find that tunnel
    and run some more
    Cross that bridge of fiery glow
    Running deeper down below
    Make some smiles from those frowns
    Ye've found the town of Upsen Downs!

Upsen Downs! Upsen Downs!
    Make some smiles from those frowns.

Ye've found the place o' the finest ale
    With arm-sized pretzels that're never stale!
    With big Chef Muglump and his coney stew
    And Master Bumble with his forty brews!

And in the holes ye can break the rock
    and haul it up with yer tackle and block
    Smelt it down and ye'll get it sold
    Upsen Downs's got the finest gold!

Make some smiles from those frowns!"
    Last edited by AvianMalkavian; 2013-09-28 at 03:10 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #12

Karra Noble - [Barn]

Karra pays little attention to the conversation being had around the fire, her mind is in a far off place. Raising a hand to her mouth she stifles a yawn as her eyes start to droop.

Can't fall asleep. Have to keep the nightmares at bay.

Splashing her face with water from the canteen on her belt draws the half-elf back into the waking world. Needing to keep busy herself occupied she taps her feet in concert with the hin's ballad.
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-09-29 at 02:20 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Athenor smiled warmly as the halfling bard broke out with a happy little ditty. It certainly did wonders to lift the cramped and soggy confines of the barn into something a little less onerous.

"Beautiful song, mistress hin." He said mildly, puffing on pipe as the woman went on singing. He cast another glance around those assembled, his eyes falling on the half-elf crouching near the fire. He didn't miss her desperate attempts to stay awake. That was a losing fight if he'd ever seen one.

Perhaps conversation would help. "Good evening,"he called amiably to the half-elf. "Terrible night for travel. Wish I had known that beforehand." He said, smiling. "What are you on the road for? Going to Waterdeep myself."

14. - Top - End - #14

Karra Noble - [Barn]

Looking over at the man who addressed her Karra smiles back amicably. "Indeed, this storm was far too sudden for my liking. My prayers go out to any unfortunate souls caught traveling the roads tonight.", she replies earnestly.

"I have a few errands to run up north in Neverwinter and Luskan but I also planned to do some sightseeing while I'm in the area. Unfortunately all my plans are on hold until this rainstorm lets up a bit."
    Last edited by Hircine; 2013-10-05 at 01:12 PM.
    Currently DMing:

Currently Playing:

EXACTLY 12 NOON.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

"Anyone caught out in this storm is unfortunate indeed,"Athenor muttered. "I am glad I found this barn in my time. More glad I have some company in this misery." He added amiably.

He looked at the half-elf with renewed interest at the mention of Luskan. "I see. Luskan, eh? Tell me if I'm prying...what is it that you do, Miss?" He asked, genuinely curious. It was his city, after all.