New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Pirates of the Aether

You find Rok wandering up from the kitchens. He has a half dazed look on his face.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

2. - Top - End - #302
    Ogre in the Playground

''Hullo lad, we were jus' goin t'ask ye to join us fer some lunch. Unless ye've already eaten?'

Kieran takes in Rok's dazed state, and looks slightly concerned.

'Are ye alright, lad?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

3. - Top - End - #303
    Ogre in the Playground

"I'm very sorry about that, but he's not exactly the quickest witted memeber of our crew. If you'll. Continue with our deal, I promise there will be no more incidents and our crew will handle all of the heavy lifting." Arryl says in a diplomatic voice
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

The head chef begins gathering ingredients, and measuring them out into a large stone bowl covered in runes and sigils. He gives Arryl an annoyed look as he continues his work.

"If you knew your friends temperament, you should not have brought him to negotiate. Now, this ritual requires great care and precision, so I will ask one last time. Leave, before anyone does something we will all regret."

He ignores any response Arryl might make as he begins to chant softly over then bowl, mixing in the ingredients as he does so.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Arryl sighs, extremely annoyed. "Fine. Well take our buisness elsewhere." he turns to the others and says "Come on. I'm sure somebody at the docks will jump at the opportunity." After the exit he says "I think Rok should be given a job when we need to negotiate from now on." he pinches the bridge of his nose and begins walking to the closest market.
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

6. - Top - End - #306
    Pixie in the Playground

Lynn
    The wizard nods to Kieran. "Aye, captain. A lot of questions for you wanders trought my brain, but they will wait better times. My mind is at you service. "
    At the word "library", Lynn eyes start glowing with an interested light. Before asking more about this argument, he is involved in the discussion about dealing and selling, following his cremates to the market.
    "Not the nicest cook, but is understandable, funerals don't make people in the right mood to buying. However, i think that the dock of this city have a lot of ships who need fresh fruits, if at the market we don't sell all our stuff, we can try there."

7. - Top - End - #307
    Ogre in the Playground

Erin was quiet during the discussion with the chef. When they left the kitchen to go to the market he breached his self-imposed silence.
    "I don't like the idea of putting him in a box whenever we don't want him around, though I can see your point. I hope that we manage to sell the cargo at the market."

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Just a reminder, I won't really be able to post until the 22nd or 23rd. Of course, most of the time this won't make much of a difference, as Aimari will just do her usual thing of being silent and just sort of going along with everything.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran's a little taken aback by the sudden disappearance of Lynn, but then he rallies.

'Well since as Lynn doesnae seem inclined t'join us lad, and t'others have gone to trade perhaps ye would be willin' to take the afternoon meal with me? I'll see if we can't find a drink fer ye too'.

Kieran searches for a servant to request a modest meal.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search (1d20+1)[15]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

10. - Top - End - #310
    Troll in the Playground

Maia follows Arryl and Erin out of the kitchen. She slams the knife she took into a wooden beam. She is delighted at going to the market though. So many opportunities.
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097

11. - Top - End - #311
    Titan in the Playground

A maid smiles at you as you politely request a lunch.

"Of course, m'lord. Please, follow me to a dining hall. Or would you prefer a meal in your rooms?"

Whichever you decide, a servant approaches Kieran bearing a sealed envelope.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

'Thank ye, a dining hall would be most welcome'.

Just then the servant passes Kieran the sealed envelope. Kieran breaks open the seal and reads the contents.

'Hmm...interesting'. he looks back up at the maid.

'I wonder if per'aps ye could fetch up a couple of bottles of the Raiten Vineyards Wine. Whichever vintage ye think best'.

Kieran's thoughts on the letter:

Spoiler
    Show
    The letter sends Kieran's mind a whirl. This could be the chance to finally find them! Keep calm. It could also be a grave disappointment. Still, I can't put my own interests before those of the crew. It wouldn't be right. And yet...can I really pass up this opportunity? This may be my last chance.

Then again, it may be that she wouldn't answer that kind of question, if she even can... I don't like the sound of this though. Daughter's dress - sounds like some kind of curse from an old song. The man's daughter died leading us, it circumstances murky at best, and he may hold some grudge for that.

Still, the rest of the crew will want a chance. I'll wait until they return from finding buyers for the cargo. Besides Arryl, Lynn and Maia are much more learned when it comes to spellcraft, and I'll need their advice. We'll try tomorrow - as long as it's nearby - one more thing to look up in the Library after lunch.

I hope Rok will join me for lunch. There's a few things I've been meaning to ask him...things I should have asked a long time ago
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

13. - Top - End - #313
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rok

*As rok wanders through the halls, the world seems to glide by in a beautiful mist, unintelligable sounds playing off the walls as he walks, enjoying the serenity.*

*How long he wandered wasn't something that occured to him though as Kier calls his name. His head clears, and with a mighty shake, he blinks a few times, nodding.*
    "Lunch? Aye, Captn. Rok like lunch. Dere was good meat in kitchen...."

*Looking back down the hall, he shurgs.*
    "Must have been bad smell. Captn okay?"

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran looks slightly perturbed for a moment.

'Aye, lad, I'm alright'.

Assuming no other upsets, Kieran follows the servant to the nearest dining hall and sits down with Rok to lunch.

After tucking into the main course, Kieran looks up at Rok.

'I hope ye enjoy it on the ship lad. I know times are tough. Losing Capt'n Reya like that was a blow. Are ye holding together alright?'

Then Kieran takes the opportunity to get the question that's been bothering him off his chest.

'I wonder if there's something I could ask ye lad. I wasnae with the crew when the Capt'n found ye. Where exactly did ye come from? And what is the surface like? I hope ye don't mind me asking. It's possible we might be visiting it at some point, and I'd like to be prepared'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

15. - Top - End - #315

Rok

"Gud. Captn job hard. Rok worry."
    *Sitting gingerly on the couple of chairs located on his side of the table, he looks almost comical, hunched over the table, holding a tiny utensil. If it bothers him, he doesn't show it - rather, he sniffs the air, his eyes half-open, a smile on his face.*
    "Mmm. Fat man make gud food. Smell good. Too bad fat man stupid."
    *With a shrug, he skewers his meal with the small fork, enjoying himself.*

*As Kier speaks, Rok falls silent for a while, turning the question over in his mind a moment.*
    "holding.... here?"
    *Rok touches his chest and nods slowly.*
    "Aye, Captn. Rok holding. Capn was nice. Was good Capn. Now dead."
    *With a shrug, he sighs.*
    "Friends die. Always. Rok not. So, Rok live."
    *popping another morsel into his mouth, he smiles.* "Rok like live."

*As the conversation turns to his past, Rok sits back a bit and places his hands in his lap, watching the staff coming and go with more than a passing interest. When there is a moment of solitude, he leans forward, placing his elbows on the table, steepling his fingers, his eyes dark and intense as he looks at Kieran, considering the man for a moment. His demeanor is completely changed, and a little disturbing.*
    "Hazkiah. And it is a place I suggest we never go. It is not soft and fluffy like these 'civilized' lands. It is and island of conquest and strength. The surface - Captain, the surface is a place where men are driven mad, broken and twisted, unless they're strong enough. Short trips aren't bad, but prolonged exposure... is bad. I can keep us alive there for a while, if we have to."

*Taking a long drink, he spreads his hands slightly, smiling apologetically.*
    "I apologize for the deception. Captain Reya knew of the ruse. It is safer this way - people think me less of a threat as a simpleton. They underestimate me. Let their defenses down."
    Last edited by TheMightyQuinn; 2012-08-15 at 11:37 AM.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran nods distractedly, then suddenly spits out his drink in surprise.

'Wha, w-w-what?! Apologise...ruse...deception?'

Kieran's rendered inarticulate by Rok's sudden articulacy. Then he recovers.

'Well I'll certainly say it worked! Ye had me completely taken in, lad. But why's the ruse necessary? Why did Capt'n Reya think it so? I can see it would cause folks t'underestimate ye but...'.

Kieran thinks about how frightening a figure Rok is when meeting him for the first time. So big, so monstrous looking, such strength. We forget about it once we're used to him. But then he acts so dumb, and child-like, and it's very hard to be afraid of that. He could tear a man in half, but enough men could overwhelm him. So he plays the fool, and no-one regards him as a threat. Perfectly sensible. Poor lad.

Kieran looks around.

'Yer secret will be safe with me lad. Though I must admit, it will be difficult to remember to explain everything to yer twice, when I full well know ye can understan. If not'in else takes off, maybe we should open a troupe of actors! Ye're the finest I've ever seen. Personally, I think ye're making a mistake, though. Maybe not with peple, but with the crew. I think ye could trust them, but it's up to ye'.

Kieran turns a little serious.

'Hazkiah. Ye called it an island. So ye're not from the surface originally then?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

17. - Top - End - #317

Rok

"It serves a purpose, Captain. The mutiny I put down earlier by the crewmen, for example. Fools blend into the background, regardless of their size. I canna' hide behind a barrel or mast, so I hide in plain sight, sir."
    *With a shrug, he finishes his drink, falling silent for a moment as the drink is replaced.*

"It's not acting, so much as it is letting people see what they want. How many stories are told of big, dumb men falling to the small and quick of mind? It is so common as to be everywhere. I am a horrible liar, should it come to it."
    *With a smile, he reaches up to scratch at his mane.*

"Hazkiah is an island ruled by a council of Magi. The island is large enough, but has little for resources - so they started building an army. I learned much with my ruse - it was easier there, as the majority of my kin were far simpler than I act. We were not bred for brains, but labor. They use us as miners - gathering from the surface in large camps. I made my escape after they sent me to the surface - I survived for a time before Captain Reya found me."

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

'Mutiny? Ye'll have to tell me a little more about that later. So there are more of ye then? I had often wondered'.

Kieran looks thoughtful.

'D'ye know exac'ly what they had ye mining fer?'

A grim suspicion stirs in Kieran's mind.

For all the effect Aetherlite has had in my life, no-one's ever been able to tell me exactly how it's made.

After Rok's reply, Kieran goes on to show Rok the letter.

'I dinnae ken if ye can read this. But the gist of it is this.'

Kieran reads out the letter.

'So Rok, what d'ye think?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

19. - Top - End - #319
    Titan in the Playground

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm still on vacation, but I can make a few posts every now and then, probably in the morning or night, as I'll be out all day.

Aimari eats silently, for the most part occupied by her own thoughts as she often was. As someone who found it a near-Herculean task to hold a normal conversation, the mage did a lot of thinking to keep herself from simply wasting time while others conversed. It was a nice change from life on the ship, to be on solid ground again - although she had adjusted quite well to pirate life, Aimari still felt better when she wasn't on a ship that was in some ways literally swaying with the breeze.

Her comfort came, in part, from their surroundings. The kingdom was a nice place and it reminded Aimari of her home. The Temple wasn't full of silver, but it had a similar atmosphere.

As Rok and Kieran begin their conversation in earnest, Aimari's attention shifts to listen to them. She nearly giggles when Rok mentions hiding in plain sight - him mentioning such a thing while her demeanor allowed her to once again see Rok unmask himself without notice. This certainly explained what he had done before, in the belly of the ship. His performance had been all but flawless otherwise, but then again Aimari had never really spent much time with her attention on him.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

20. - Top - End - #320

Rok

*Taking the offered paper, he turns it over a couple times before handing it back with a shrug.*
    "Never been much in the way of reading. Just a bunch of scratches as far I can tell. Metals - we mined for anything valuable to bring back. Building an army takes time and weapons, after all."

*With a sigh, he stands and stretches, working a kink out of his neck from the awkward position.*
    "If the time comes to tell the crew, so be it. I just thought as the Captain, you should know - you've enough on your plate without more surprises."

*Giving a shake of his head, he exhales slowly before giving Kier a smile.*
    "Gun find some flowers. Rok like flowers. No flowers on ship."

21. - Top - End - #321
    Titan in the Playground

A servant enters the dining hall with a bottle of wine. He walks over to where Kieran sits.

"The wine, you requested, m'lord." he also hands you a message. "Remember, the Oracle will only meet you if you are alone. I wish you joy of the night."

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

22. - Top - End - #322
    Pixie in the Playground

In group with the others, Lynn walks across the streets of the city, searching for the market, searching for a fruits stand.
    The wizard isn't at ease between the crowd: too much noises and too many people, for a man used to the silence of the sky and the loneliness of the libraries.
    Observing the sellers, Lynn tries to find the fruit stands that attracts most clients, and then, when the customers leave to them a moment of freedom, tries to speak to him.
    "Excuse us, good man. We need some informations. We are travellers from a distant land, sailors and dealers: it happens that we have in our ship a huge cargo of fruits, first quality stuff, from the farms of the best fruit growers of the Aether. Can you be interested in our goods? If you can tell us the name of your retailler it's fine too, we will try to convince him to make a good price for you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Lentrax, can you tell us the quantity, the quality and the effective price of our fruits? Thank you ^_^
    Last edited by Solipso; 2012-08-16 at 07:30 AM.

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran smiles at Rok sorrowfully.

'Aye, ye do that lad, ye do that. An' Rok? Thank ye, fer yer trust'.

Trust that perhaps I should repay. After all, it's not as though I shared my fears. But no, this is my burden to bear. I shouldn't inflict that on him. My job as Captain is to look after these men and women. That's what I should speak to the Oracle about.

Kieran acknowledges the servant.

'Thank ye very much fer the note, and the wine'.

I had almost forgotten I was supposed to go alone. I hope Erin will be able to forgive me.

'I wonder sir, would I perhaps be able t'make use of yer library, if ye have such a thing? Oh, and would ye happen to know the way to Lake Vareal?' Kieran asks the servant.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

"Of course, and there is a map in the library which can guide you to Lake Vareal. However, the Mage's tower and its libraries is strictly off limits. The Magister values his privacy and his secrets highly." The servant leans forward to whisper into Kieran's ear. "Some of the staff also say that he once killed a servant who brought his tea too early and saw one of his experiments."

The servant straightens. "Will you be requiring anything else?"

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

25. - Top - End - #325
    Ogre in the Playground

'Thank ye fer the warning about the Magister'.

Kieran looks at the servant.

'And thank ye kindly fer yer service. What was yer name sir?'

After the man's reply, Kieran asks,

'Forgive me, I am but a simple man, and a foreigner to these lands, ignorant of yer ways. This land seems prosperous, and contented enough. Yet since I arrived, there has been much talkin' of a coming crisis. I ken it has something t'do with the Princess's death, and her mission. Fergive me if I speak plain, but what ails the state?'

Spoiler
    Show
    Gather Information (1d20+8)[25]
    Sense Motive (1d20+2)[21]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

"I am Aren. And I am sorry, but that is as much a part of us, as your belief in the gods. Telling of our past is forbidden, forgive me, but that is our way."

Spoiler
    Show
    He is, so far as you can tell he is telling you the truth. You know he is holding something back, but you can also tell he will not speak of it.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

"Well, I may be able to tell ye' mah vendor, but then I will get cut out of his deals." The owner of the fruit market, a gentleman with many wrinkles on his face, and not a few teeth missing from his mouth, spits out some seeds from his mouth as he talks to Arryl.

"So, I tell you what I do. I give you 2500 crowns for it. That, I reckon is about what I can do."

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

28. - Top - End - #328
    Troll in the Playground

Maia speaks from behind the old man. I'm fairly sure you can do better than that. See, we know exactly how much these are worth, and the price you named isn't it. These are rare fruits that you wouldn't have access to on a normal day, and they came on one of the fastest ships flying the Aether, so they're all fresh. So, do you want to try again, or are we taking our business elsewhere? I'm sure there are a number of nobles and other rich folks that would love to have our goods.

Spoiler
    Show
    Appraise: (1d20+4)[20]
    Bluff: (1d20+8)[23]
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097

29. - Top - End - #329
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sense Motive: (1d20+5)[10]

The man looks over at Maia, who really hadn't said much for the conversation, and smiles. "Well I suppose you'ra right, Mistress, they would be worth a wee bit more. Ya can't blame meself for tryin' to save a copper or two where I can. I can give, ye' an addit'nal 100 crowns, but I canna go higher."
    Last edited by Lentrax; 2012-08-17 at 08:34 AM.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.

Show

Follow me on Twitter!

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

'Tha's alright, Aren. Thank ye, and I hope ye take nae offence'.

Kieran sighs, and mutters to himself.

'I'll jus' continue t'piece it together from hints, half-sentences and implication'.

Kieran stows away the bottle of wine and the letter in his pockets, and repairs to the library. When he gets there, he looks around for the catalogue, or an assistant.

Now, anything on history of Serzai's likely banned. I need to look for the Geography section, or anything in the way of Cartography

Spoiler
    Show
    Not quite sure what I need here but I fear that it's dreaded search. Trying to 1) improve geography (to justify putting skill points into it) and 2) make a list of Countries where slavery is practised.
    Search (1d20+1)[2]
    Pure INT check (1d20)[14]
    Gather Information (1d20+8)[12]
    Last edited by Wordplay; 2012-08-17 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Forgot to name NPC
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters: