New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14151617181920212223242526272829303132333449 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #691
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Pirates of the Aether

"Maia, be careful with her. That girl seems to put a bit more into the whole 'path of righteousness' and 'helping the innocents' than even I do. She might be hard to talk to if you threaten her again."

Erin smiles at Arryl, then glances back at the Captain.

"Did you have something you wanted me to do Captain? It looked like you were going to ask me something a moment ago. If not I think that I might have a word with that engineer."
    Last edited by Techwarrior; 2012-12-10 at 05:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #692
    Bugbear in the Playground

Rok

*Scout from the edge. So the captain intended to follow his suggestion. It would be dangerous, but they would be forewarned - and that would give them the edge. Perhaps they could learn more about these creatures.*

*Standing and stretching slowly, Rok lifts his head up and turns his muzzle into the wind, enjoying the myriad of smells it carried. There was a hint of rain in the air, though whether it would hold true was near impossible to say. The weather was never as it should be. The Magi had seen to that.*

*Turning his attention back to the task at hand, Rok moved quietly across the deck, reaching up to hoist himself onto the mainmast arms, and within a respectable distance of the great furry flying thing that had been brought aboard. It was like the bats that still lived on the surface, though he had never seen one grow to such immense size. Perhaps it is a matter of having enough room to grow.*

*Speaking to the creature, he tilts his head quizzically, watching its' movements, shifting his weight slowly, not wanting to seem agressive.*
    "And you, furry. Odd. Where's you pet thing? Little squish-pet."
    "I'm back baby!"
    - B.B.R.

3. - Top - End - #693
    Troll in the Playground

Maia

Maia arches an eyebrow. "Raising a weapon against a stranger isn't a threat, it is being properly wary." She takes a waterskin and fades away, and takes to searching the ship for the small girl and strange creature. She appears in their vicinity, and holds up the skin. "The captain has asked that you drink this. It is water. She nods to the fire-mage. "Aimari."
    07/03/2018: I’m back. The long break was necessary.

Discord Tag #4097

4. - Top - End - #694
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran blinks.

'Aye Erin, I was going tae ask ye what ye think of the guests...they fought beside ye? What do ye think ye should do about them'.

'But since ye mention it, I also wanted tae ask ye what ye thought of that machine that Master Stoneforge made. I have tae admit, I'm nae impressed...ye could both have been killed'.
    Last edited by Wordplay; 2012-12-10 at 06:55 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

5. - Top - End - #695
    Ogre in the Playground

Erin pauses briefly, and considers the Captain's question.

"The girl, Melanie, has a good heart, and she's got some kind of strange power. She seemed to be bolstering the cat, but it didn't seem to be like the power the clerics wield. The halfling has some kind of power over animals. I saw him summon a swarm of... bats, if I recall. The.. uh.. human channeled energy into his... friend. It seemed to fix it, him, whatever it is. I trust the girl the most out of them all, but I wonder what having power has done to her. I can claim that I made the choice to walk the path of righteousness on my own,"

at least, I did after the Rebirth. Before that, I can't even remember.

"but she might have had it forced on her. That, combined with her having such power... I worry for her. The others I trust less. Her, I think we should watch to make sure she's ok. The others I simply don't trust. They allied with us, but that just goes to show that the human knows basic tactics."

"As for the engineer, I don't think it was so much his machine that was the problem. I almost got the thing straightened out in the end. It was more that we were guessing at the controls. If I'd had more than a passing knowledge of how the thing worked, I'm pretty sure we would have been fine."

6. - Top - End - #696
    Ogre in the Playground

She does look like a cat, but I wonder if she's like Arryl's people? She probably wouldnae like tae be called cat anymore than I'd like tae be called monkey, Arryl bird, or Erin lizard.

'Bolstering the cat? Sounds more like your power than anything else Erin. I ken that mages and priests used some different kind o' magic. Everyone says the priest's magic comes from their gods, and the mage's from....somewhere else... I'd just about understood that yer's was something different again Erin, and now it seems there is someone else with another kind o' power...'

Kieran thinks for a second.

I dinnae ken the magicians' ways. When I was a lad that were a thing for stories, or for serious scholarly folk in dust'

'Aye, it is a terrible thing to have power thrust upon ye by destiny. It must be hard fer one so young tae bear. I wonder...if she - Melanie - is what the Oracle meant fer us tae find out here. It would be just like the Oracle and her patrons from what I've seen of her...'

'Well we'll find out - about them all'.

'I'm glad ye think the engineer can be trusted. If ye think that the craft can be repaired that's good. When ye're healed up, I'd like ye and Master Stoneforge tae look at repairin' it. I have a plan'.

Kieran turns to Arryl.

'Briefly Arryl, we've arrived at the place the Oracle told me about. Ye remember we were looking up about the land o' the Black sands in the King's library? Well we found it. It is as desolate as I imagined.

I sent Erin and Maia tae scout. They ran intae some trouble. I didnae get a good look at the beasts, but they looked like giants with great talons, horns, and skins like armour.

They jumped Erin and Maia, but a party of strange folk gave them aid. E'en so, one of the beasts got away. Now we've taken these strangers aboard. They say they were shipwrecked out here, but I fear that at least one o' them may be a spy for the Destroyer'.

'I'm just going tae interview 'em. If ye feel able Arryl, I'd appreciate it if ye could join me in my cabin, so ye can give me yer counsel on them'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

7. - Top - End - #697
    Troll in the Playground

Melanie, quite unsurprisingly, continues sleeping soundlessly in Grymm's arms - giving no reaction to Maia's words.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuintonBeck View Post
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Spoiler: Things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Mynxae View Post
    Damn you Snowfire. I cried.
    Quote Originally Posted by Falcon777 View Post
    T_T I swear, you just made me cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Well, here's another for your sig, Snowfire.

<struck dumb>

8. - Top - End - #698
    Titan in the Playground

Barty

Barty stops eating his meal, and puts his fork down. "If you don't mind, we are trying to finish our meal, and Grym's ward is asleep."

"No, we really aren't"
    Larry really hasn't been eating. The food on his plate looks like it has been played with for quite some time. He had once requested something fresher, preferably still bleeding, to eat instead of the salt-preserved meat in front of him. His request was denied.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

9. - Top - End - #699
    Ogre in the Playground

"A magician?! Hah, Captain I didn't know you knew so little about my Path. I explained all this to the former Captain when I first came to this ship. I set foot on a demanding Path after my Rebirth: that's the ritual that turned me into a draconic creature. I seek to emulate dragons. They are creatures that inspire awe, and I have learned how to lead others to doing things they themselves were unaware they could do by study of dragonic arts. It isn't magic so much as it is bringing out the best in people. Some consider that to be its own magic. I am no mage though. Magic is something I'm leary of. It's something that has caused me some trouble in the past. I do remember something similar to magic that some who emulate dragons learn, but that is not a part of the Path, and is simply a means to power, whereas I gain power by virtue of my Path. Still, I might need to look into it. I think there was a kind of shield one could evoke that would protect one from the powers of my breath. Seems everyone and their dog has magic these days. Come to think of it, you, me, and Rok are the only officers who don't channel magic Captain."

10. - Top - End - #700
    Titan in the Playground

Aimari gives a nod to Maia as the shadow-child enters the room. She was still unsure about her motives, but it didn't really matter. She wasn't here to understand each and every foreigner she met, after all. Maia's flat delivery of the message and water was all too typical for her - it seemed like, even under foreigners she was not very well versed in social mores. Then again, Aimari herself found it difficult just to pass the mental blockade and merely speak to them at all.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

11. - Top - End - #701
    Ogre in the Playground

Arryl drains the cup quickly and straightens to his normal perfect posture. "It would seem that I've missed quite a bit while I was resting. The Protector saw fit to let me continue protecting you and the ship. It only seems right that we get to work immediatelly." He ruffles his wings and plucks a stray black tipped feather from his shoulder. "I'm ready to resume my duties." with that he falls into step at Kierans side.
    Going out of town, of you don't hear from me by 11/20 send me a poke

12. - Top - End - #702
    Ogre in the Playground

'Aye Erin lad, as I said, I knew yer craft was something different from mages and priests...I just dinnae ken quite how'.

So that's what happened. I had often wondered. I sort of thought he'd been born that way... I wonder what it was that made him choose to undergo that ritual, and what sort o' person he was before.

'Hmm, we are at that, aren't we Erin? The only ones without magic... though I think Rok may have been birthed by some kind o' magic... and if the Oracle is tae be believed I'm supposed tae wield some kind of magic, but I dinnae ken if she means me tae wield it the way mages do, as a part o' themselves, or like an object.

Anyway, good tae know a bit more about yer path. Thank ye fer tellin' me. Perhaps we'll see if we cannae find some dragons fer ye, when this business with Serzai is over.

Fer now, if ye could, see what ye and Master Stoneforge can do about the Protector's Eyes'.

Kieran turns to Arryl.

'Glad tae have ye back Chaplin'.

Kieran strides out onto the deck and has a quick look around to check that all is well. Looking up, he sees Rok, and is amazed as always how comfortably Rok climbs considering his size. Kieran sees a furry brown package hanging from the rigging, then realises that it's the bat that came with the strangers.

'Mind ye dinnae upset it Rok'. Kieran calls softly, but he doesn't intervene as he can see the gentleness the great creature's gestures.

'Well, I dinnae see any of 'em...they're probably still down in the galley...'

Kieran climbs down into the galley, and seeks out Grym and Melanie. He addresses Grym.

'Miss? I'm sorry, I didnae get yer name. I notice yon lass there has been out since ye boarded the ship. Is that normal? Ye said ye were lost out there fer days. I must insist she at least eat something. It wouldnae do tae have her want now succour is at hand...'

Kieran reaches for some food from the plump hand of Master Merryweather.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

13. - Top - End - #703
    Titan in the Playground

Barty

He gives the Captain a look. "One would think our suffering a thing of the past, since we have been rescued. Is there a problem, Captain?"
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.

14. - Top - End - #704
    Ogre in the Playground

Arryl smiles genuinely. "Hunger is its own suffering, wouldn't you agree? We are simply trying to be courties hosts."

15. - Top - End - #705

"Thank you for your concern, captain. If the little one were awake, she'd also thank you. My name is Grym and it's happened a few times since we've been together. She just over exerts herself sometimes. The battle on the surface took a lot out of her." Grym adjusts Melanie so she could whisper in her ear. "Little one, please wake up. We have company. I get the feeling they don't trust us. And there's food. Smoked fish, pies, and real fruit. No more dried bannanas. They even have sweets. I forgot to tell you how brave you were during the battle. You did so well. I'm sorry I wasn't there to stop the bow witch from threating you. Can you forgive me?"
    Last edited by theskorpionking; 2012-12-11 at 01:50 PM.
    "I am the monster parents tell their children about at night.". - Loki

Loki avatar by Comissar

16. - Top - End - #706
    Troll in the Playground

Melanie mumbles something sleepily at Kieran's statements, and then Grym's whisper penetrates the dreamless fugue of her unconsciousness. She looks up, blinks a few times, and reaches up to take the food - her other hand wiping her eyes.

"I...did it again, didn't I." She half asks, half states. Her hand drops down to squeeze her quasi-sister's hand, and tilts her hand to one side - her expression confused. "You're shiny." She says to Kieran, nibbling on the food he gave her. Then her face creases in a smile "So you're the one that Light said to find!" She laughs, green eyes joyful. "I knew it would work out eventually! I knew it!"
    Many thanks to Snowfire for collating all these. He's a madman, but he's a helpful madman.
    Show

<struck dumb>

17. - Top - End - #707
    Titan in the Playground

Aimari steps forwards, next to Kieran, as he arrives. Since he has come there himself, she probably didn't need to "keep an eye on" these people as he had ordered before. Keeping an eye on them...foreigners has such strange ways to say things. Still, that didn't matter now. These strange people were interesting, though, so Aimari would try to stay near enough to continue to observe them, at least for now. She had never seen such a cat-person before, nor even heard of one, so she was particularly interesting.

Her attachment to the small girl was unusual - they must have some sort of shared history beyond being mere travelers. It would be an enjoyable experience to unravel the reasons behind their actions...

Aimari, hidden beneath the shadows cast by her cloak, stands silent next to Kieran, the occasional flash of reflected light coming from her armor.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

18. - Top - End - #708

"You'll have to forgive her, captain. But it seems that she has forgotten herself. I've been trying to teach her manners.", Grym says while roughing up Melanies hair.
    "I am the monster parents tell their children about at night.". - Loki

Loki avatar by Comissar

19. - Top - End - #709
    Troll in the Playground

Melanie shakes her head sharply, pulling it out of Grym's hands - more playfully than anything else - and looks up at the Caitan. "No, no! Like when I met you!" She says excitedly, waving at Kieran. "It said." She says assertively. She absentmindedly picks up and devours a small pie, clearly thinking as fast as her slightly sleepy mind can handle (maybe a bit faster actually).

"You...you're someone that the Light needs. Needs to keep going, keep surviving." She says finally. "I...was asked to help people like you."
    Show

<struck dumb>

20. - Top - End - #710
    Ogre in the Playground

Arryls eyebrows lift in surprise and he smiles. "What a fascinating little girl. Its quite alright, weve all seen worse than an excited outburst aboard this ship." he says to Grym. Then he crouches down and sits on his heels to get to Melanie's eye level. He flares his wings out to balance himself then says, "What did you mean when you said he was shiny?"

21. - Top - End - #711
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran keeps himself composed at Melanie's words, but with a little difficulty. It helped that he'd had some idea it might be coming.

It is as I suspected... I wonder if that's some kind o' recognition, something like the beginnings o' what she described...I'm not sure I can fergive the forces that control this world fer making one so young their vessel.

'Aye, I think I ken what ye mean, young lass. Our meetin' was indeed fated.

We didnae meet properly earlier miss. I'm Kieran Swiftsure, what's yer name?'

Kieran extends a hand to Melanie.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

22. - Top - End - #712
    Titan in the Playground

Barty

"Fate, huh?" He scoffs, a look of bewilderment on his face.

23. - Top - End - #713
    Troll in the Playground

Melanie reaches up, grasping Kieran's hand, and light spins suddenly around her - as if in recognition - before fading swiftly. She looks up at Grym and smirks. "Knew it."

"My name is Melanie, Kieran." She shoots a look at Barty, then the light still around her flickers across the room - forming a three sided box of light around the swashbuckler.

"Yes. Fate. You have it too. Everyone does."

Spoiler
    Show
    Aaaaand, barrier evoke. DC 18 strength check to move through it
    Show

<struck dumb>

24. - Top - End - #714
    Ogre in the Playground

'Pleased tae meet ye Melanie'.

Kieran looks slightly bewildered at the motes of light.

'I thought ye were a mage at first, but...this is something different, isn't it?'

'However long ye wish tae stay on this ship Melanie, ye're welcome, while I am Captain'.

Kieran speaks quietly, but not inaudibly to Melanie.

'I can see ye're very close tae Mistress Grym here. What of the others we brought aboard with ye? Are they yer friends too?'

'We are hunting an enemy of the light. Can I trust yer companions?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

25. - Top - End - #715
    Titan in the Playground

There is an ominous rumble of thunder in the distance.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

26. - Top - End - #716
    Ogre in the Playground

"I think it would be best if we rescheduled the interviews captain. The little we learned about this land in Serzai makes me nervous and the thunder isnt helping." Arryl says nervously. he heads above decks and looks around for anything unusual.

Spoiler
    Show
    spot (1d20+9)[18]
    Listen (1d20+4)[13]
    maybe well finally get to see a hawk dog

27. - Top - End - #717

Rok

*After watching the bat creature for a while, Rok finally bores and lowers himself back to the deck with a shrug. He didn't really expect much more from the animal, though perhaps it would become more active at night.*

*Walking towards the thunder, Rok closes his eyes and listens to his senses - the twinge of power in the air, the moisture, and the smell, hoping to get some idea what the skies might bode for them.*

Spoiler
    Show

Alright, I just so happen to have a decent Survival modifier - Predict the weather is DC 15, after all.

Survival -
    (1d20+9)[20]

Edit: Woo! I like successful skill checks. Hopefully the answer isn't that the storm is going to last 2 days. lol
    Last edited by TheMightyQuinn; 2012-12-11 at 05:01 PM.
    "I'm back baby!"
    - B.B.R.

28. - Top - End - #718
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran tenses at the thunder, then nods.

'Aye, agreed. Arryl, please show Mistress Grym and Melanie tae my cabin. Lock yerself in lass, the key is in the lock, and dinnae go near the safe - the last Captain trapped it. Once ye've done that Arryl, I'll see ye at the helm'.

'Aimari, Maia, on deck!'

Kieran is about to run up on deck, then he checks himself, and turns to Bartholomew.

'Do either ye or yer companion have any experience crewing Aethercraft? If so, we could use yer help on deck'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

29. - Top - End - #719
    Troll in the Playground

Melanie shakes her head. "Kieran, I grew up on Aethercraft. And," she floats out of Grymm's lap, matching his eye level with her own, "I'm not exactly helpless. I chose to walk this path, to help those who I was sent to find. Why lock me away?"
    Last edited by Snowfire; 2012-12-11 at 05:35 PM.
    Show

<struck dumb>

30. - Top - End - #720
    Ogre in the Playground

Kieran is quiet for a beat, thinking carefully.

'Alright, Melanie. I suppose I could say ye're still a child, but then I grew up on Aethercraft too, and I wasnae really any older than ye when I signed on.

Very well, but if ye help on my deck, ye must agree tae follow me orders without question, as me crew do, on deck anyway. That goes fer all of ye. Off deck, it's a diff'rent matter.

However, I thank ye heartily fer any help ye can all give. If ye wish to, join me on deck. Please excuse me'.

Kieran takes the steps two at a time and pops out of the hatch. Then Kieran looks about, trying to take in the weather and the surroundings.

'Master Cockcroft, yer report please'.

Spoiler
    Show
    Spot (1d20+1)[9]
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters: