New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,170 of 1498
  1. - Top - End - #1141
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: A Thorn In The Hand IC

Raif smiles wryly.

'In my case it would be mere theatrics - I've no idea what it is, but I do worry that it might be some kind of trap'.

Raif squints at it.

'Does anyone have experience of disarming traps? I think I might be able to work out what it is if I could get some of this dirt off, but I would appreciate an expert opinion on whether it's going to explode if I start manipulating it'.

'Rochenion? Mailali? Any of your party have any experience with traps?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

Raif Clearsight, Human Cleric, A Thorn in the Hand.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=420661

Kieran Swiftsure, Human Rogue, Pirates of the Aether.
    http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetvie...sheetid=422092

2. - Top - End - #1142
    Ogre in the Playground

Caranyan bends down to look at the dial as well, "Well, never seen any trap that looked like this, but then again... I'm normally jumping away as they go off... Never got the hang of all that fiddly pin work."

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

3. - Top - End - #1143
    Firbolg in the Playground

Verossa sighs, puts away Jemima, and draws a javelin. "In that case, what say you all stand behind me while I give her a poke?" that sounded rude "People were lighting fires on top it, I doubt it's too picky about how it's prodded".

4. - Top - End - #1144
    Barbarian in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Halabur squats next to Caranyan with a bemused look on his face. "Maybe it's magical in origin?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge Arcana: (1d20+10)[23]
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    "Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering DM; to the last I argue with thee; from hell’s heart I slay catgirls at thee; for Galgenhumor’s sake I spit my last snark at thee. Sink all Sues and all katanas to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still gaming with thee, though ticked at thee, thou damned DM! Thus, I give up the logic!"

5. - Top - End - #1145
    Ogre in the Playground

Halabur:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Apart from fancy mundane engraving on it, you see nothing what so ever that indicate any magical properties.

Peeking Druid and Sleepy Kitty Avatar by Kurien and Awesome Party banner by Akrim.elf .

6. - Top - End - #1146
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Magical huh? Drayner stares intently at the dial, his eyes slightly changing colour for a second.

Spoiler
    Show
    Activating Detect Magic
    Might as well go with a Knowledge arcana too for good measure: (1d20+2)[8]
    Timezone: GMT +10.0

Pokemon Tabletop Adventures/United: THE HUB

7. - Top - End - #1147
    Ogre in the Playground

Raif gives Verossa a calculating look.

'Well, if you're willing, seems as good an idea as any. Just wait for the rest of us a moment to get to a safe distance'.

Raif backs off a good way, out of the cave entirely, and round a corner from the cave mouth.

'Alright, this should be far enough. Good luck Verossa'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

8. - Top - End - #1148

Eleanora watched Verossa, obviously uncomfortable with the current state of affairs.

"Good luck," She patted the hexblade on the shoulder, before following Raif out to the front of the cave.

9. - Top - End - #1149
    Ogre in the Playground

Drayner:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As your vision changes, nothing about the dial does. It still looks like a solid stone cylinder sticking about an inch and a half above the dust and debris in the hole.
    If it was an artifact of some sort, you have no idea what it is, or what it would have been used for.

All but Verossa draw out of the cave, waiting for some sign of how the "test" has gone.

Verossa:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Nothing happens with you tap the dial with the tip of your javelin, though you do find it a little strange that you hear the sound of metal touching metal when the dial is obviously stone.

10. - Top - End - #1150

Verossa RESISTS the temptation to start screaming in mock agony, although it's a near thing. Frowning, she reverses the javelin and strikes the dial again with the wooden butt.

If this still sounds like metal, we have an apparently interestingly pointless illusion to look into. If it sounds like something else...well.

11. - Top - End - #1151
    Ogre in the Playground

Verossa:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you tap it again, you hear the dull "tink" of wood on metal.

12. - Top - End - #1152

"Well, Gentlemen. Ser Dame. Elves." She says, loud enough for the party to hear her. "Seems we have metal glamoured to look like stone. I think Captain Underpants should have another stab at this, The Divine Clearsight as well. Seems more their balliwick than mine."

Why would somebody do that? And what is this thing? And what did happen to Yamandakka? And how do you fit a fencing epee in such little cleavage? Wait, I'm drifting again.

OOC: Do we have clockwork on this world?

13. - Top - End - #1153
    Ogre in the Playground

**Marlowe:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yes there is. Though "wall clocks" are still quite large (Grandfather clock size) and very expensive, and very rare.
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2013-02-19 at 01:45 PM.

14. - Top - End - #1154
    Ogre in the Playground

Raif comes back into the cave, peering about for Verossa.

'Glad to see you're whole. Metal you say?'

Raif kneels down and starts clearing all the muck and leaves from around the dial trying to get a clearer look. Raif gives it a small tap with a loose pebble. Meanwhile, he racks his brains trying to think what on earth it could be.

Spoiler
    Show
    Search (1d20+2)[17]
    Knowledge Arcana (1d20+3)[7]
    Knowledge 'The Planes' (1d20+3)[23]
    Listen (to the sound of tapping it) (1d20+4)[8]

'It seems like such a small thing to be concerned about - but I would rather be certain that it poses no harm before we make our repose'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

15. - Top - End - #1155
    Ogre in the Playground

Raif:
    Spoiler
    Show
    As you clear away the rubbish around the dial, you start seeing it more clearly. Just under the surface of the debris you notice what you guess is a depressible locking pin just before it widens a little into an octagonal shape for another 2 inches before leading to be the center of a cog of some sort, though one edge is hidden under the rocks.
    The edge that you can just see has a locking arm in between two of the cogs "teeth", though it doesn't look to actually be supporting the cog (there's still far too much dirt/debris built up for the cog to actually move)

You still know about as much as you did before about it's origins though. Nothing like this is described in any of the books on magic and the divine realms you have read.

When you tap the dial with the pebble, you only just hear the slight metallic ring over everyone else either re-entering the cave or talking.

16. - Top - End - #1156
    Ogre in the Playground

'Some sort of mechanism....well, my turn I suppose. We've tried just about everything we can reasonably do to make sure that it's safe. If the rest of you think it wise, I'll try turning the dial. If nothing happens, then I suggest that we leave it, and make camp'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

17. - Top - End - #1157

Eleanora nodded.

"Aye, sounds like a plan. Go ahead and turn it."

18. - Top - End - #1158

"What's the worst that could happen?", says Verossa with no expression at all.

19. - Top - End - #1159
    Ogre in the Playground

Raif twitches, apprehensive as he's about to turn the dial...

Then he chuckles.

'Curious. For a moment there I felt true fear. It has been a long time since I last experienced the sensation. I suppose the unknown is perhaps the thing that terrifies me most of all. Indeed, fear - as oppose to rational concern - always seems born in part of ignorance'.

Raif grins and turns the dial.

'Well, let us enlighten ourselves'.

Spoiler
    Show
    If a sharp turn does nothing, Raif will keep moving it gradually, backwards and forward, in as many patterns as he can think of - trying to spot something.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

20. - Top - End - #1160
    Ogre in the Playground

Raif:
    Spoiler
    Show
    After nothing happening when you try to turn it the first time, you dig out more of the dirt and stuff that's built up around the cog.
    The cog gives an ear piercing screech as it slowly grinds itself around a mere half an inch until the locking arm snaps back into place.
    As you keep trying, you can feel it wanting to move, but no matter how much you try to turn it, you just cant get the leverage to make the dial budge.

21. - Top - End - #1161
    Ogre in the Playground

Raif takes out one of his flasks of oil and uses some of it to lubricate the mechanism. Then Raif tries turning it again.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

22. - Top - End - #1162
    Ogre in the Playground

Raif:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The volume of the screeching of the locking arm gets a little quieter but the dial still doesn't move.

23. - Top - End - #1163
    Ogre in the Playground

'Well, I cannot think of anything else. I'm reasonably sure it doesn't pose an immediate danger... shall we make camp?'

'So, if we camp in this cave, we can stable the horses in the cave next door... We should probably wait until nightfall to light a fire - there's a chimney, but that smoke will be visible for miles around in the twilight - and our enemies are probably closer.

I think we should split into three watches of three for the night'.

'I would suggest Minserien, Halabur and Elenora take the first watch, Drayner, Caranyan and Verossa the second, and then Rochenion, Mailali and I can take the third. That way each watch will have a spell caster and two warriors'.

And at least two of us to watch our new companions - until the last watch, when all of our spells should be prepared. They seem trustworthy, but we don't really know them. Mailali seems to have come from a different group...so if two must stand watch with us, best that he be one of them...

Raif digs through his pack for his spare rations. Once he has found them he offers them to the elves.

'Here, some nourishment. I'm afraid it's all I have, so we will have to resupply soon'.
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

24. - Top - End - #1164

Verossa nods at the suggested postings, the say; "No fire. Not while the enemy has things that can fly. And noses that can smell, come to that. When the snow's to our knees and the wind's cutting our bones; then we may consider one.

"Also, putting our horses in a separate cave sounds like an easy way to lose them overnight; even without presuming malice. I'm not letting Fighter out of my sight this night, and you know my sight's not great. Ser Dame?"
    She slants an eye torward the local expert in horseflesh, hoping for some support here.

25. - Top - End - #1165

"Agreed. The horses stay with us," Eleanora said, affirming Verossa's statement. "Should we need to make a quick escape, I would rather we not be required to run between caves. Besides, the horse's sense of smell is quite keen, so there may be a chance that they sense danger before we do. It would not hurt to keep them nearby."

"As for the watch," She said, turning to Raif. "I would be happy to take the first shift."

26. - Top - End - #1166

GreenSorcererElf

"And I'll be happy to join you." says Halabur with a smile. "It'll give my plenty of time to think about the strange object we've found."
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    "Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering DM; to the last I argue with thee; from hell’s heart I slay catgirls at thee; for Galgenhumor’s sake I spit my last snark at thee. Sink all Sues and all katanas to one common pool! and since neither can be mine, let me then tow to pieces, while still gaming with thee, though ticked at thee, thou damned DM! Thus, I give up the logic!"

27. - Top - End - #1167
    Ogre in the Playground

'Good. I defer to your judgement on the horses. That's settled then'.

Raif gets a piece of parchment and ink and a pen from his bag, and makes a quick sketch of the mechanism.

Raif unrolls his bedroll, and makes ready to camp. Then Raif turns to Elenora.

'M'Lady? I wonder if you could give me a hand with my armour?

And...I have another favour to ask, if I may be so bold as to trespass further on your kindness. I have been making a study of the Orcish language, as of late, using the book I acquired from the merchant. I think I have a good grasp of the theory, but I wonder if I could just practise a few phrases with you quickly, before I turn in for the night?'
    Spoiler
    Show

My Characters:

28. - Top - End - #1168
    Ogre in the Playground

**It's been a while since I gave some RP XP so here we go....

Verossa, Halabur, Drayner and Eleanora: 400xp each.
    Mailali: 250
    Raif: 700.

XP will be coming thick and fast, like a river of rich fudge sauce, soon, so remember, good quality, juicy posts dripping with detail and RP will mean more sticky, chocolate-y level gaining fun for everyone .... I should really stop watching cooking shows before I've eaten breakfast... I now have a MAJOR craving for hot chocolate fudge sauce (if you couldn't already tell) .**
    Last edited by Malak'ai; 2013-02-21 at 03:06 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1169
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Before anyone get's a chance to go to sleep for the night Drayner let's out a cough to get everyone's attention, being sure not to inturrupt a conversation when he does. "I'm not sure about everyone else, but I think Tahlrumy might like to know that we made it across" Pulling out the amulet, he looks around "Would anybody like to do the honours of contacting him?"

Hiding a shudder by pulling his cloack near him as light breeze blows, he waits for someone to take the offer, or tell him to. If I have to do it, I hope Nialise isn't there... but that is highly unlikely Curious as to how the amulet works, Drayner will try and work it out while waiting.

Spoiler
    Show
    Knowledge (arcana): (1d20+2)[16]
    Spellcraft: (1d20+4)[5]
    Deactivating Detect Magic once done with the amulet.
    Last edited by D_Man_7733; 2013-02-21 at 04:16 PM.
    Timezone: GMT +10.0

Pokemon Tabletop Adventures/United: THE HUB

30. - Top - End - #1170
    Ogre in the Playground

Drayner:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can tell that you need to do something to make it work, though what exactly that thing is, you're unsure.