New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    How do people do the Action Replay "press 3 buttons to have x party" codes, then? Everyone goes through all of that!?! Jesus...
    Well, those are Action Replay codes. For those, they typically use an Action Replay, and, uh... There... Wouldn't really be a point to playing on the computer via emulator? You'd just add the code to the Action Replay and load the cheat on your real game from the get-go, no need to bother restoring a dumped save file.*

I know off the top of my head that there's like, five different types of Action Replays for the DS line of systems, most of which aren't in production anymore so you'd be buying old or used merchandise, and each one is in its own state of support and some of them are blocked by firmware. There's one or two Action Replays that can copy save files to a microSD card so they can be copied to a computer, but I'm pretty certain those are blocked by HG/SS and every Pokemon game onwards. Those also use their own save format, and while it's easy to find out how to convert those save files, it's also silly in the first place to even have that problem.

*Caveat emptor and all that, it can actually be pretty easy to end up with some Bad Eggs or lose some save information if you mess up putting the code in or use a code incorrectly.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

I wish my internet worked...
    Or my phone could record battles and audio...

So I'm going to consider something I never thought I would: Nuzlocke
    It's up in the air, I won't erase any of my games if they have important competitive stuff on them; but if I grab an old game and mess around I'll probably try one.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    I wish my internet worked...
    Or my phone could record battles and audio...

So I'm going to consider something I never thought I would: Nuzlocke
    It's up in the air, I won't erase any of my games if they have important competitive stuff on them; but if I grab an old game and mess around I'll probably try one.
    Woot! The nuzlocke is spreading!
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ogre in the Playground

I think this was meant to be...
    I happened to find my copy of Fire Red after not touching it for a few years, the file that was on it? Saved right before picking my starter lol

So now I start my adventure with Deku the Bulbasaur who won a speed tie with Green's Charmander with only one hit point left. That would've been a fairly quick run but now I'm off for digital ****-fighting and child endangerment!

EDIT: lol word filters
    Last edited by boj0; 2012-09-01 at 10:53 PM.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Do it, Boj0. Do it.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

6. - Top - End - #366

All glory to the Nuzlocke!

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh my god this is lethal...
    So I forgot how strong Gary is in the second battle. Level 9 is a little higher than I remember so say farewell to Air Bojo the Pidgey and Joey the Ratata.
    Thankfully Deku is bulky as hell and just seeded everything to death.

In Viridian forest the team is now:
    Deku the Bulbasaur
    Chrono the Pikachu
    And Joey2 the Ratata

8. - Top - End - #368

Oh my god this is lethal...
    So I forgot how strong Gary is in the second battle. Level 9 is a little higher than I remember so say farewell to Air Bojo the Pidgey and Joey the Ratata.
    Thankfully Deku is bulky as hell and just seeded everything to death.

In Viridian forest the team is now:
    Deku the Bulbasaur
    Chrono the Pikachu
    And Joey2 the Ratata
    May Arceus bless their souls.

Are you running dupe clause or no?

Also good job with the Pikachu!

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

I'm debating whether to do a nuzlocke as well but I don't want to do it with BW given how similar BW2 is going to be. Might pick up an old version from Gamestop...

10. - Top - End - #370
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    May Arceus bless their souls.

Are you running dupe clause or no?

Also good job with the Pikachu!
    The way I'm doing it is faint = release and catch the first Pokemon in an area UNLESS it is one already in your party/box, hence the second Ratata. In which case you catch the first one you don't have. I think that makes sense.

11. - Top - End - #371

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    I'm debating whether to do a nuzlocke as well but I don't want to do it with BW given how similar BW2 is going to be. Might pick up an old version from Gamestop...
    If you do, I find the easiest is Ruby/Emerald with a Mudkip.

The way I'm doing it is faint = release and catch the first Pokemon in an area UNLESS it is one already in your party/box, hence the second Ratata. In which case you catch the first one you don't have. I think that makes sense.
    Yeah, I know that dupe clause.

12. - Top - End - #372
    Troll in the Playground

The variant of the dupe clause I've been running is that once you capture (or attempt to capture) something, you get no more chances at anything from the same evolutionary set. This has allowed me to ignore all Magikarp since capturing the red Gyarados at the lake of rage, but on the other hand, having knocked out a Krabby without capturing it in Olivine city, no more Krabby or Kingler for me.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Ogre in the Playground

Considering I'm on Joey3, that may have been a better idea lol
    Oh well, Deku handled Misty like a pro (sassy nature ftw) but GARY OAK decided that Charmander should get free rein on Chrono :smallsad: oh and I managed to crit a Zubat in Mt. Moon so I got nothing from there but the fossil. Finished nugget bridge without further incident and am calling it for the night.

Current team:
    Deku the Ivysaur lv 20
    Girl Talk the Spearow lv 13
    Joey3 the Rattata lv 17 yes I have had three of them in under 4 hours

14. - Top - End - #374
    Troll in the Playground

If you do, I find the easiest is Ruby/Emerald with a Mudkip.
    I figured I'd just do one of the more recent ones for ease of transferring pokemon to BW afterwards. I have to say though I'm kind of surprised at the prices though, most of the pokemon games are sitting around $15-$25 used. I expected a little less... But I guess that's the popularity of pokemon for you.

15. - Top - End - #375

@bojo Did you try route 3/4 yet?

@userpay Ah. In that case stay away from Platinum it's a challenge. (Unless that's what you want)

16. - Top - End - #376
    Ogre in the Playground

@Illven yeah that's how I ended up with Spearow and Rattata 3

17. - Top - End - #377

Ah, well there's always route 24 and 25.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

@userpay Ah. In that case stay away from Platinum it's a challenge. (Unless that's what you want)
    Why is it more a challenge than say Diamond or Pearl? I figured I'd play either one of those or Soulsilver/Heartgold.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    Why is it more a challenge than say Diamond or Pearl? I figured I'd play either one of those or Soulsilver/Heartgold.
    Well, Cyrus probably will sweep your team.

20. - Top - End - #380

Gym leader's pokemon are improved.

(The third gym leader has a Misigarvius (Probably mis-spelled))

21. - Top - End - #381
    Orc in the Playground

Gym leader's pokemon are improved.

(The third gym leader has a Misigarvius (Probably mis-spelled))
    Mismagius?
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

22. - Top - End - #382

Quote Originally Posted by Agent_0042 View Post
    Mismagius?
    The evolved one.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Ettin in the Playground

The evolved one.
    Fantina has a Mismagius.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

<paraphrase>

Platinum is a challenge.
    </paraphrase>

Now I want to find my Platinum version and try a nuzlocke on it.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

25. - Top - End - #385

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    <paraphrase>

</paraphrase>

Now I want to find my Platinum version and try a nuzlocke on it.
    Do it! Follow in my foot-steps.

26. - Top - End - #386
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Well, those are Action Replay codes. For those, they typically use an Action Replay, and, uh... There... Wouldn't really be a point to playing on the computer via emulator? You'd just add the code to the Action Replay and load the cheat on your real game from the get-go, no need to bother restoring a dumped save file.*
    It'd be kinda hard to get a code that gives one a perfect game file... and that would really beat the purpose of the games anyway, wouldn't it? I'd may as well go get on the smogon battle emulator thingies... and I've done that once. I'm not going back.

I know off the top of my head that there's like, five different types of Action Replays for the DS line of systems, most of which aren't in production anymore so you'd be buying old or used merchandise, and each one is in its own state of support and some of them are blocked by firmware. There's one or two Action Replays that can copy save files to a microSD card so they can be copied to a computer, but I'm pretty certain those are blocked by HG/SS and every Pokemon game onwards. Those also use their own save format, and while it's easy to find out how to convert those save files, it's also silly in the first place to even have that problem.
    So, I'm better off just waiting for the DS to get fixed and just trying to start from scratch / with what I've got, then....

Question: Is there any chance of getting an old, maybe new, maybe used, version of the Gameboy Advance Games and being able to use them? I heard that lots of them (including one of my Emerald Versions) have this weird "battery running out" issue, which isn't good... The emulator doesn't seem to have that problem, though, which makes me sad that I might not be able to use it...

*Caveat emptor and all that, it can actually be pretty easy to end up with some Bad Eggs or lose some save information if you mess up putting the code in or use a code incorrectly.
    Yeah, definitely don't want that.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Ugh, I've looked everywhere and can't find Platinum. I don't really want to pull out all the still-packed-away crap (because only the gods know what is in there), so instead I think I'll try a Soul Silver run instead.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-09-02 at 09:34 PM.
    Morning Star

28. - Top - End - #388
    Bugbear in the Playground

Ugh, I've looked everywhere and can't find Platinum. I don't really want to pull out all the still-packed-away crap (because only the gods know what is in there), so instead I think I'll try a Soul Silver run instead.
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
    Thanks; I think I'm going to use the No Duplicates rule, and oh god I forgot how slow everything is before the running shoes. Save me from Oak's slow speech about pokemons
    Morning Star

30. - Top - End - #390

Remember don't pick Chikorita!