New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    Remember don't pick Chikorita!
    I was going to, just for the challenge, but then I'd (possibly) have 2 fire/flying weaknesses on my team (planning on venturing far and wide to find a Heracross ). Think I will nab Cyndaquil since I'm 99% sure you can't find like -any- other fire types in Johto .
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-09-02 at 10:00 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

2. - Top - End - #392
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Derjuin View Post
    I was going to, just for the challenge, but then I'd (possibly) have 2 fire/flying weaknesses on my team (planning on venturing far and wide to find a Heracross ). Think I will nab Cyndaquil since I'm 99% sure you can't find like -any- other fire types in Johto .
    Egg from Prima can be a Slugma, Eevee can evolve into Flareon, Growlithe or Vuplix by Sudowoddo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Troll in the Playground

You can, if you know where to look.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Troll in the Playground

Ugh, I've looked everywhere and can't find Platinum. I don't really want to pull out all the still-packed-away crap (because only the gods know what is in there), so instead I think I'll try a Soul Silver run instead.
    Hey I just started a SoulSilver run myself.

Lvl 9 Jaws the Totodile
    Lvl 5 Bullet the Kakuna
    Lvl 3 Bullseye the Sentret

5. - Top - End - #395
    Troll in the Playground

As others have said, there are other fire types in Johto (including Magmar in burned tower). The games that are worst for fire-types pre-elite four are diamond and pearl, where you have the choice of the fire type starter or Ponyta/Rapidash.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Titan in the Playground

Fortunately, Fire-types are completely unnecessary even when they are good. So it's not that big an issue if you CAN'T find one.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

7. - Top - End - #397
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by INoKnowNames View Post
    Question: Is there any chance of getting an old, maybe new, maybe used, version of the Gameboy Advance Games and being able to use them? I heard that lots of them (including one of my Emerald Versions) have this weird "battery running out" issue, which isn't good... The emulator doesn't seem to have that problem, though, which makes me sad that I might not be able to use it...
    The battery's only for clock-related events, so you can still play the game without those events. Because time marches on, I doubt you'll get a game cartridge now with a working time battery. The battery's not responsible for your save file for the GBA games, though.

A quick search tells me that Sapphire's battery (CR1616) is lightly soldered to its connectors. Some folks have had success just popping off the solder points just with a thin screwdriver and replace the battery themselves. GBA games are held together with a single tri-wing screw*, you'll either need to use a tri-wing screwdriver to open them up (this is something hardware stores typically don't carry, so expect to order online for that) or rig one up by melting a pencap. A good number of those have videos on the YouTubes if you want to take a look at the process, and there are a few unofficial repair stores that offer ship-in repairs.

*These are sometimes called "Nintendo screws," can you guess why?

Edit:
    Oh, and make sure if you do buy, that it comes from a major retail source. The GBA pokemon games are pirated like wildfire, yes, even today, and pirate carts have trouble keeping save files intact.
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-09-03 at 02:53 AM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

8. - Top - End - #398
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, after a romp in Cerulean Cape the team managed to not get anyone killed for.once including nabbing an Oddish and a Kakuna on Routes 24 & 25. Bill was in the middle of deviant act that I dare not repeat on a family-friendly forum, but he did give me a ticket to the S.S. Anne to keep quiet. After helping a local family with a burglar, I made my way to Vermilion City and capturing a Meowth on the road there.

Realizing that anyone with the name Surge would use Electric types, I decided that Diglett Cave would be a swell place to train, my new Dugtrio agreed.

Current team:
    Deku the Ivysaur lv 21
    Joey3 the Raticate lv 21
    Girl Talk the Spearow lv 15
    KapBambino the Meowth lv 10
    Swag the Oddish lv 17
    SupeShock the Dugtrio lv 31

With Yelowjackt the lv 12 Beedril in the PC
    Now, we set sail on the S.S. Anne!
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

9. - Top - End - #399

..... Lucky. Getting a dugtrio.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Troll in the Playground

Update SoulSilver run.

The flying gym was difficult if only because of that Pidgeotto with roost. Dat roost. Several leers and many potions were enough though. Never expected not having a flying type would be so difficult either. I mean I caught a Zubat (which I should probably train soonish) but he doesn't learn any flying moves until 17 so I ended up having to teach Jaws Rock Tomb to deal with the bug gym. Hope the Togepi helped alot as well. Now I just need to train up Hope and Bullet to deal with my rival...

Lvl 17 Jaws the Totodile
    Lvl 12 Bullet the Beedrill
    Lvl 9 Bullseye the Sentret
    Lvl 13 Hope the Togepi
    Lvl 13 Chipy the Rattata
    Lvl 4 Hebi the Ekans

11. - Top - End - #401

Quote Originally Posted by userpay View Post
    Update SoulSilver run.

The flying gym was difficult if only because of that Pidgeotto with roost. Dat roost. Several leers and many potions were enough though. Never expected not having a flying type would be so difficult either. I mean I caught a Zubat (which I should probably train soonish) but he doesn't learn any flying moves until 17 so I ended up having to teach Jaws Rock Tomb to deal with the bug gym. Hope the Togepi helped alot as well. Now I just need to train up Hope and Bullet to deal with my rival...

Lvl 17 Jaws the Totodile
    Lvl 12 Bullet the Beedrill
    Lvl 9 Bullseye the Sentret
    Lvl 13 Hope the Togepi
    Lvl 13 Chipy the Rattata
    Lvl 4 Hebi the Ekans
    You might want to train everyone,

12. - Top - End - #402
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    ..... Lucky. Getting a dugtrio.
    Not really. Diglett is easier to catch and you can evolve it into Dugtrio. There's a 100% chance of you being able to have a Dugtrio by this point in the game.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    Not really. Diglett is easier to catch and you can evolve it into Dugtrio. There's a 100% chance of you being able to have a Dugtrio by this point in the game.
    But,based on the comparative levels of his team, its pretty likely that his Dugtrio evolved in the wild- which adds some serious punch to his team.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

14. - Top - End - #404
    Titan in the Playground

So I guess lucky in the slight amount of time saved?

15. - Top - End - #405
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tgva8889 View Post
    So I guess lucky in the slight amount of time saved?
    Also, considering this is a Nuzlocke run, the slightly better defences and survivability- which might well make the difference between fatality and non-fatality, particularly in a glass cannon like Dugtrio.
    Part of YugiohITP

16. - Top - End - #406
    Ogre in the Playground

The funny part was I didn't even use Dugtrio against Surge, Deku did all the work lol Sleep Powder ftw
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

17. - Top - End - #407
    Titan in the Playground

Bulbasaur is the best of the starters for FR/LG Nuzlocke, I think. The defenses and type advantage early on matter a lot.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-09-03 at 03:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Troll in the Playground

Leveling Hope and Bullet up to 15 did the trick with my rival. Hope took out the Ghastly, coping a curse however, and dealt with the Zubat eventually between several healings. When I U-Turned the Bayleef with Bullet I sent out Hebi with the knowledge that she'd likely die yet she survived with 1 hp before I was able to swap back to Bullet to finish with a second U-Turn. Talk about lucky. Deciding to give her a well deserved rest I swapped her out for a Drowsy I later caught. Next up a little bit of training on Goldenrod's trainers and moreso outside the gym before fighting the Whitney if I think I need it.

Lvl 18 Jaws the Croconaw
    Lvl 16 Bullet the Beedrill
    Lvl 14 Blossom the Oddish
    Lvl 17 Hope the Togepi
    Lvl 14 Chipy the Rattata
    Lvl 12 Sleepy the Drowzee

19. - Top - End - #409
    Ettin in the Playground

Does anyone have a spare/cloned Deoxys and/or Manaphy for trade? Them and the Glameow/Stunky lines are all I'm missing...

20. - Top - End - #410
    Ogre in the Playground

My girlfriend took our Black and White games to GS today to get Keldeo. Pretty stoked. I keep missing Vicinti events, though. Bah.

21. - Top - End - #411
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SDF View Post
    My girlfriend took our Black and White games to GS today to get Keldeo. Pretty stoked. I keep missing Vicinti events, though. Bah.
    Was there a Vicinti event this time? As far as I know there's only been Keldeo thus far. Ah well I still have mine from BW.
    Last edited by userpay; 2012-09-05 at 07:28 AM.

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SDF View Post
    Ooh unholy crap. It's being done over here, too, (I think). Well, we've got a GAME and I've got to go into town twice in the next couple of days, so I'll see if I can snag a pair. (On my Black and White.)

Also, dammit, France and Germany, how come we don't get a lightball Pikachu!

Don't suppose anyone has got a spare lightball they'd want to trade at some point?

23. - Top - End - #413
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Ooh unholy crap. It's being done over here, too, (I think). Well, we've got a GAME and I've got to go into town twice in the next couple of days, so I'll see if I can snag a pair. (On my Black and White.)

Don't suppose anyone has got a spare lightball they'd want to trade at some point?
    Yep, I have a Keldeo on black now... its nature is neither help nor hindrance to me, but I can't complain too much about a legendary.
    Part of YugiohITP

24. - Top - End - #414
    Troll in the Playground

BlackDragon

I did the Victini event when it came out, but I haven't done any since... I wish I could find some in my area... or at least could use a replay or whatever to be able to activate them...

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    The battery's only for clock-related events, so you can still play the game without those events. Because time marches on, I doubt you'll get a game cartridge now with a working time battery. The battery's not responsible for your save file for the GBA games, though.

A quick search tells me that Sapphire's battery (CR1616) is lightly soldered to its connectors. Some folks have had success just popping off the solder points just with a thin screwdriver and replace the battery themselves. GBA games are held together with a single tri-wing screw*, you'll either need to use a tri-wing screwdriver to open them up (this is something hardware stores typically don't carry, so expect to order online for that) or rig one up by melting a pencap. A good number of those have videos on the YouTubes if you want to take a look at the process, and there are a few unofficial repair stores that offer ship-in repairs.

*These are sometimes called "Nintendo screws," can you guess why?

Edit:
    Oh, and make sure if you do buy, that it comes from a major retail source. The GBA pokemon games are pirated like wildfire, yes, even today, and pirate carts have trouble keeping save files intact.
    I suppose I'll keep this in mind. It reminds me of when I used to play my regular GBC Crystal before it stoped being able to save... and I was so depressed...
    Last edited by INoKnowNames; 2012-09-05 at 08:25 AM.
    You can call me anything. I've been called Inkin, Nono, INo, Names, and NoKnow so far.

As of 7/20, I've gotten help in trying to get past a physical addiction that's been eating at my time, and finished recovering from a spot of trouble that ended up eeking into Self-Harm. I'm doing better now; here's hoping it lasts a bit longer...

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Edit:
    As a cautionary note, it took me three attempts to get a Platinum this year. The first was a sufficiently convincing forgery (from China sold on ebay) that I might not have suspected without being forewarned by the Playground (and in the end, it was only the fact that they had onmly sent about half the paperwok that gave it away.)
    Last edited by Aotrs Commander; 2012-09-05 at 08:47 AM.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Ettin in the Playground

Out of curiosity, could my friend code be added to the first post? I bought a router because my college internet hates my 3DS, so my friend code is finally stable.

My friend code is 2752-8407-8283

27. - Top - End - #417
    Bugbear in the Playground

You still have a GAME where you live?
    *thought all stores had been shut down and they'd gone online only*
    They have where I live anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n

28. - Top - End - #418
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Maybe as a booby prize for not getting Keldeo?
    Not unless they cheated. Blasted thing isn't even available in BW without cheats or distributions.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fredaintdead View Post
    You still have a GAME where you live?
    *thought all stores had been shut down and they'd gone online only*
    They have where I live anyway.
    I still have a GAME where I live as well- had two branches locally until this year.
    Part of YugiohITP

30. - Top - End - #420
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mercenary Pen View Post
    I still have a GAME where I live as well- had two branches locally until this year.
    Huh... both the ones in the main city centre near me have been closed down. There's still a Gamestation, but I've never felt that it was as good. *shrugs*

And according to GAME's website... the store that I saw closed down a few weeks ago is still open... weird.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan
    Yes, but that's Fred. He radiates awesomeness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhu View Post
    I like Fred. I shall make him an honorary Pimpsquatch.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Rainy Knight View Post
    I love Fred because he returned from the dead in a form that doesn't hunger for the flesh of the living! Also, he's a nice guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MageOfCakes View Post
    You're chibi and that's awesome. n_n