New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 50 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516171819202122232425262742 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

@.@ Eevees are the most annoying things to breed. Though it's probably how specific I was about the offspring that made it annoying...

I was attempting to get a Timid 31 SpAtt IV Anticipation (Mother) 31 Speed (Father) female Eevee...while not owning Black2/White2, so nature passing down is not guaranteed (B2/W2, Everstones now guarantee the Nature is passed down instead of 50%).

50% Timid,
    60% Anticipation,
    100% Speed IV,
    1/11 SpAtt IV, or 1/9 or something, I don't know how to calculate the chance
    12.5% Female

The chances of all those things being kind to me are astronomically low (games are never kind to me )...but I did eventually get one! Only took me about 4-5 hours of egg hatching, but now I have me a Dual Screens Magic Bounce Espeon .
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-09-18 at 10:36 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

2. - Top - End - #482
    Ettin in the Playground

Why did you need the final one to be female?

3. - Top - End - #483
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    Why did you need the final one to be female?
    Personal preference, mostly. Plus, in case I do something stupid like release/trade all my unevolved ones that have their hidden ability (like I did with my marvel scale Dratinis (though now I have another one! so soon I'll have a more useful Dragonite)).

I'm now reaching out for tips - how do competitive battlers handle weather teams? I had an idea, to include a tanky Ludicolo (rain teams) and a Sand Rush Excadrill (sandstorm teams) on my roster. I already run a Sawsbuck/Lilligant/Ninetales, so Sun teams aren't an issue, and Ninetales can usually OHKO Abomasnow. If there's an easier way than having backup pokemon that leech off of other weather teams' abilities, I'd love to hear them (or better pokemon, Ludicolo and Excadrill are two I had planned but I haven't put a ton of research into it).
    Morning Star

4. - Top - End - #484
    Ettin in the Playground

I am a huge fan of swift swim Kingdra as a check to weather teams, either as a dragon dance set with coverage moves, or a rain dance set with hydro pump/surf and some dragon moves.

Or even choice specs, if you expect lots of drizzle.

5. - Top - End - #485
    Barbarian in the Playground

I may not be a competitive battler, so forgive me if I say something stupid...

Perhaps use Cloud 9 Golduck for Sandstorm/maybe Sunny Day teams?
    Or perhaps even Cloud 9 Altaria for Sunny Day teams?

I rather liked using Cloud 9 Golduck myself against my friend's sandstorm team.
    Mindfreak by...I don't quite know who
    Nexus Characters | Pokemon RPG Rules
    Busy with Life

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Altaria is workable; but the problem with Golduck is simply mediocre (at best) stats. Base 95 Special Attack and base 85 Speed make for a very lackluster special sweeper, and the 80/78/80 defenses mean it won't be taking very many hits. Altaria can do better simply by virtue of it's typing and movepool.

Also, if your main job is to take out weather, you need to take out the Pokemon who makes that weather; this is what makes Dugtrio such a great addition to Rain teams, it can trap Ninetales and Tyranitar as well as get a KO. Golduck can't outspeed 'Tales or threaten TTar.
    Lickilicky does a decent job of stopping weather and taking out weather-starters... if it can catch one of them in a Block + Normal Gem Explosion/Hammer Arm Lol I'm just kidding, Lickilicky is garbage
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

7. - Top - End - #487
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    Altaria is workable; but the problem with Golduck is simply mediocre (at best) stats. Base 95 Special Attack and base 85 Speed make for a very lackluster special sweeper, and the 80/78/80 defenses mean it won't be taking very many hits. Altaria can do better simply by virtue of it's typing and movepool.

Also, if your main job is to take out weather, you need to take out the Pokemon who makes that weather; this is what makes Dugtrio such a great addition to Rain teams, it can trap Ninetales and Tyranitar as well as get a KO. Golduck can't outspeed 'Tales or threaten TTar.
    Lickilicky does a decent job of stopping weather and taking out weather-starters... if it can catch one of them in a Block + Normal Gem Explosion/Hammer Arm Lol I'm just kidding, Lickilicky is garbage
    You almost had me going there. I haven't touched Lickitung since Gen 1.

I'm only including a weather team killer because I get frustrated at seeing the same damn setup thrash me every time (politoed -> kingdra or ttar -> excadrill). Also I should probably up the relative tier of the pokemon I'm using, since I seem to be pitted against people with Latios and the like a lot. (Keldeo being banned still makes me slightly frumious, in that the other parts of the group are not banned, its ability doesn't even help it, and there are far better legendaries that -are- allowed). I'm thinking of using Kingdra that knows Rain Dance/Hydro Pump/Draco Meteor/(Dragon Pulse, Outrage or Waterfall) since it'll certainly be faster than the others once it starts it up, and more than likely packs enough punch to OHKO them. Though Arena Trap Dugtrio is a tasty option as well, and it's been forever since I've had those little mole thingers on my team!

...Speaking of, does anyone know if Shadow Tag Litwick is just a big tease and it's never going to actually happen, or if it's one of those Hidden Grotto pokemon or something?

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Mindfreak View Post
    I may not be a competitive battler, so forgive me if I say something stupid...

Perhaps use Cloud 9 Golduck for Sandstorm/maybe Sunny Day teams?
    Or perhaps even Cloud 9 Altaria for Sunny Day teams?

I rather liked using Cloud 9 Golduck myself against my friend's sandstorm team.
    I'd considered some kind of air lock pokemon (not Rayquaza, unfortunately since it's banned :shedsatear:), but was sort of dismayed at the options available. That's why I'm opting for what I'm calling "weather hitchhikers" since their only point is to benefit from an enemy's weather team.

EditEdit:

Just had a 40 minute battle between Dragonite and an enemy Breloom...UGH. Spore, Low Sweep, Substitute + Poison Heal is a pain. I apparently lost because I forgot the opponent had a full HP suicune, while my backup Espeon only had 1 hp left. We actually ran out of time; his Breloom couldn't KO Dragonite, and as soon as he ran out of Substitute uses, Outrage would have OHKOd both Suicune and Breloom (6 attack increases).
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-09-20 at 04:40 AM.
    Morning Star

8. - Top - End - #488
    Troll in the Playground

Well, surprisingly (to me), my GameStop actually managed to run the Keldeo thing. Eyeballing his stats, I'm guessing the nature folks want is either +SpAtk -Atk, or +Spe -Atk, but looking at its moveset, it has nice physical moves. I'll probably be duping whatever nature I get for folks that don't live near a store, so any suggestions?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

9. - Top - End - #489
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You can run it with Physical, but with 79 base Attack vs 129 base SpAtk, why would you? Secret Sword and Scald/Surf are basically Keldeo's best moves anyway, and it gets Calm Mind as a counterpoint to Swords Dance. You'll need a coverage move, though, and other than Stone Edge and Hidden Power, it doesn't have much.

10. - Top - End - #490
    Troll in the Playground

Like I said, I'm going to dupe this so I can send it out to anyone that joins in later and missed the event. While I know I can't make everyone happy with one single pokemon, I just wanted to check if I was missing something not superficially obvious. I saw it had Aqua Jet, Work Up, and Swords Dance there- among other competitively useless gimmick moves live Bounce, Last Resort, and Retailiate- so there were bits and pieces of the possibility of going physical (or at least mixed), but the stats were telling me differently, so I thought I'd check in. I hate running numbers.

Pokemon Thread XIV: Our Ponies are on... Water?
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

11. - Top - End - #491

I got a Rash Nature Keldeo =/
    I wish I had gotten an Adamant Nature one. Or is the nature always the same for event Pokemon?

Also, wondering if anyone could just give me a Rufflet/Braviary? I'll gladly give a Vullaby/Mandibuzz in return.
    I just need a Rufflet to complete my Unova Pokedex

EDIT: Nevermind! I just checked my GTS and someone finally traded their Braviary for my Mandibuzz.

Now I just need a Pokemon with Pokerus. So if anyone has one to spare, I'd be eternally grateful!
    Last edited by Mindfreak; 2012-09-21 at 02:01 PM.
    Busy with Life

12. - Top - End - #492
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

I got a Rash Nature Keldeo =/
    I wish I had gotten an Adamant Nature one. Or is the nature always the same for event Pokemon?
    The nature and IVs are randomly generated when you talk to the delivery guy.

Also, though Keldeo's Physical movepool is better than its Special one, it's not by much and not really enough to counter the rather wide gap between its Attack and Special Attack. Without setup, max Attack Close Combat will deal about as much damage as max SpAtk Secret Sword. On Water STAB the gap means that with minimum SpAtk it's roughly a tossup between Surf and Aqua Tail... if Surf wasn't more accurate.

13. - Top - End - #493
    Troll in the Playground

Well, that put things down to whether Speed or Special Attack should be boosted, then. I'm leaning towards Special Attack, because I'm guessing that any environment that allows Keldeo has enough other pokemon that'll outspeed it.
    ---

14. - Top - End - #494
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Well, that put things down to whether Speed or Special Attack should be boosted, then. I'm leaning towards Special Attack, because I'm guessing that any environment that allows Keldeo has enough other pokemon that'll outspeed it.
    Serebii did a spot on Keldeo a couple of weeks back and their suggested sets lean more towards boosting speed on a special sweeper set.
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

15. - Top - End - #495

Does anyone else think that Cloyster would be a great Dragon-type counter?
    Not to mention a great counter for some other types?
    It can learn some nice ice moves, and has some spectacular defense.
    Busy with Life

16. - Top - End - #496
    Orc in the Playground

Does anyone else think that Cloyster would be a great Dragon-type counter?
    Not to mention a great counter for some other types?
    It can learn some nice ice moves, and has some spectacular defense.
    If you give it Shell Smash and a +Speed nature, absolutely. It's bulky enough to take an Outrage (probably even a boosted one, depending on the 'mon) and get the Smash off. At that point, it automatically outspeeds every unboosted dragon, as well as every dragon with a Dragon Dance or Choice Scarf except Lati@s; it's one point short of that, so if they don't have a speed boosting nature, you still outspeed them. And unless their name is Reshiram, Pakia, Dialga, Kyurem, or (maybe) Kingdra, a boosted Icicle Spear is a guaranteed OHKO.

Cloyster makes my mono-dragon team cry.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ogre in the Playground

Shell Smash Clyoster DESTROYS Dragon-types with a passion
    Ice Shard will waste most, Icicle Spear for Dragonite.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Titan in the Playground

Do Shell Smash Cloyster sets generally run both Ice Shard and Icicle Spear? Or do they run a non-STAB move for coverage? I thought all of them ran a STAB Water-move.
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-09-22 at 06:10 PM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

19. - Top - End - #499

Alright...
    So, so far(I'm trying to make a team that can somewhat do good online) this is what I'm thinking for a team:

Impish Gliscore(Hyper Cutter or Sand Viel: Protect/Ice Fang/Toxic/Earthquake)
    Jolly/Naive Cloyster(Shell Armor: Ice Shard/Icicle Spear/Surf?/Shell Smash)

Things I want to use in this team, though I don't know if they'd do good:
    Virizion
    Haxorus
    Cofagrigus
    Metagross
    Bisharp
    Volcarona
    Kabutops
    Delibird
    Claydol
    Jellicent
    Bibarel
    Lunatone/Solrock
    Garbador
    Cinccino
    Krookodile
    Lucario
    Galvantula
    Darmanitan
    Klinklang
    Crustle
    Crobat/Swoobat
    Scolipede
    Whimsicott

Also, I seem to have forgotten how to do EVs!
    Explanation would be nice, along with how to do it in Pokemon Black/White.

So, help me please?
    Busy with Life

20. - Top - End - #500
    Ogre in the Playground

For Cloyster, you usually don't run both; Icicle Spear is to lolwtfmurderfacepwnroflstomp or Ice Shard to counter Mach Punch/Vacuum Wave users; in addidtion to Razor Shell or Surf/Hydro Pump

If you do run both, you lose out on either Rock Blast or Surf/Hidden Power

21. - Top - End - #501
    Troll in the Playground

Alright...
    So, so far(I'm trying to make a team that can somewhat do good online) this is what I'm thinking for a team:

Impish Gliscore(Hyper Cutter or Sand Viel: Protect/Ice Fang/Toxic/Earthquake)
    Jolly/Naive Cloyster(Shell Armor: Ice Shard/Icicle Spear/Surf?/Shell Smash)

Also, I seem to have forgotten how to do EVs!
    Explanation would be nice, along with how to do it in Pokemon Black/White.

So, help me please?
    @ Cloyster: I'd go with Skill Link: Rock Blast/Icicle Spear/Surf/Shell Smash.

For recommended movesets/items/EV spreads for the list, try here. Note that a LOT of these movesets are very, very common, so you can expect, say, a Dragon Dancing Dragonite with Outrage, Fire Punch/Earthquake, and Roost. Not all of these movesets are recommended by me, simply because some of them take some skill (in prediction and opponent reading) to work. You can deviate from them, they are merely an option, though most of them are pretty well tested.

For EVs: Each opponent you defeat grants a particular EV. For example, Basculin grants +2 Speed EVs, while Darumaka grants +1 Attack EV, and Litwick grants +1 Special Attack EV. You can use Vitamins and Wings to increase them as well; Vitamins can increase a stat by 10 EVs, up to a maximum of 100, while Wings increase a stat by 1 EV, no upper limit. The maximum effective number of EVs is 252 in a stat, with 510 as the total between all stats (the normal EV spread is 252 in two prime stats and 6 in a third; others exist, though). There are also berries to reduce EVs by 10 per use; I don't know much about them. For tips on EV training, try here. To see the EVs that KOing a pokemon grants, try looking up individual pokemon over on Bulbapedia.

In addition, when training EVs, there are seven items to help pick up the pace: the Macho Brace (doubles all EVs earned, stacks with Pokerus) and the Power items (Weight = HP, Bracer = Attack, Belt = Defense, Lens = Special Attack, Band = Special Defense, Anklet = Speed). They all halve your speed while using them, so be careful. The Power Items add +4 to their respective EV whenever you gain -any- EVs, so defeating a Basculin while you are wearing a Power Weight would grant +2 Speed, +4 HP EVs. This allows you to train a pokemon for two different stats off the same pokemon. Pokerus doubles the effects of all the Power items, so defeating a Basculin while wearing a Power Anklet with Pokerus grants +12 Speed EVs. Combined with Vitamins, EV training has become pretty fast. You can usually grind out EVs and get your pokemon to level 50 or higher in about 1-2 hours if you have all your supplies.

Some suggestions for training locations:

Speed: Water outside Striaton (surf, 100% Basculin, +2 spd)
    HP: Shaking grass anywhere (close to 90% audino, +2 hp) or use Power Weight
    Def: Wellspring Cave (50% Roggenrolas for +1, but they have Sturdy and so cannot be OHKOd) or use Power Belt*
    Attack: Route 4 (everything in the sand gives +1 Attack)
    Special Attack: Celestial Tower (everything gives +1 special attack)
    SDef: Relic Castle Maze Final Room (room with Volcarona, 100% Claydols for +2 sdef)

*Alternatively, Relic Castle B3F-B6F have 50% Cofagrigus (+2 Def) which CAN be OHKO'd, albeit they are about 20+ levels higher than the Roggenrolas.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-09-23 at 02:17 AM.
    Morning Star

22. - Top - End - #502
    Orc in the Playground

Bulbapedia also has a handy list that you can sort to find what gives you the most effort values.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

23. - Top - End - #503
    Titan in the Playground

Is it good to split offenses like that on Shell Smash Cloyster, or would you rather have Razor Shell + Icicle Spear and Surf + Ice Beam?
    Last edited by tgva8889; 2012-09-24 at 09:29 AM.
    Thanks to araveugnitsuga for my Pika-tar!
    PTU: Alyssa OOC IC

24. - Top - End - #504
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah running a mix set works pretty well.
    Special water is fine mainly because razor shell is mediocre at best.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

I have a question about the rules on a nuzelocke run:

Do pokemon encountered prior to your being able to receive pokeballs count towards the "first pokemon encountered on a route" rule?
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

26. - Top - End - #506

I never played my nuzlocks like that. I applied the nuzlocking rule after I got my pokeballs.
    Busy with Life

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

I never played my nuzlocks like that. I applied the nuzlocking rule after I got my pokeballs.
    Likewise- in fact I don't think I've seen anybody apply it like that...
    Last edited by Mercenary Pen; 2012-09-24 at 12:17 PM. Reason: correcting spply to apply
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

28. - Top - End - #508
    Ogre in the Playground

Fun trick: when someone on PO starts taking smack, agree with everything they say; if they call you garbage, you agree and say it is the smelliest of dumpsters. Make up some of your own self-deprecation facts, this will throw the opponent off balance and cause them to lower their guard. Then after you 5-0 them, proceed to turn you caps lock on and ctrl+v "U MAD BRO" until they leave.

I have too much fun with this game

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I've officially started my first nuzelocke run on FireRed. Thus far I've beaten my rival for the second time and am heading into Viridian Forest with the following team:

Lvl 10 Lucky the Bulbasaur
    Lvl 11 Derpy the Pidgey
    Lvl 8 Verminous the Rattata
    Lvl 7 Igorina the Mankey

I'm planning on using Lucky and Igorina against Brock when I make it to Pewter City, since I doubt I'll get anything better in the forest.
    If brute force isn't working, that just means you're not using enough of it.

When in doubt, set something on fire. If not in doubt, set something on fire anyway.

My Homebrew

Spoiler: PbP Characters
    Show

30. - Top - End - #510
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    Well, I've officially started my first nuzelocke run on FireRed. Thus far I've beaten my rival for the second time and am heading into Viridian Forest with the following team:

Lvl 10 Lucky the Bulbasaur
    Lvl 11 Derpy the Pidgey
    Lvl 8 Verminous the Rattata
    Lvl 7 Igorina the Mankey

I'm planning on using Lucky and Igorina against Brock when I make it to Pewter City, since I doubt I'll get anything better in the forest.
    Lucky should do fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.