New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Pokémon Thread XIII: Our Ponies are ON FIRE!

Nuzlocke Update- I'm at victory road right now. Had some very close calls, but I'm still going strong. My team is as follows-

Femis the Cinccino- lvl. 53
    Nofscap the Umbreon- lvl. 51
    Hipp the Roselia- lvl. 51
    Demo the Magnezone- lvl. 52
    Royalist the Terrakion- lvl. 55
    Bribe the Starmie- lvl. 52

Dead-
    Kalmte the Azurill- lvl. 11
    Sulh the Purrloin- lvl. 13
    Feix the Darumaka- lvl. 34

The last bit before you get to victory road is absolutely grueling. Be sure to stock up on hyper potions.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Chess435 View Post
    Picked up a copy of Black 2 this morning, and it's going fairly well. Ended up with some maniacal laughter during the gym battle with Elesa (Nimbasa City).

My lead and highest leveled pokemon was my level 23 Servine, holding an Evolite and with Cut, Leaf Tornado, Growth, and Leech Seed. Elesa opened up with her Emolga, and I noticed it wasn't doing a whole lot of damage at all. So I put down Leech Seed, popped an X-Defend for good measure, and started spamming growth, managing to completely wall out Emolga. Several turns later, I have +6 Attack and Sp. Atk., and Emolga goes down to a Cut and Leech damage. Then I get this:

"Ding! Servine has leveled up to 24! Servine would like to learn Mega Drain, but already knows 4 moves. Would you like to delete a move to make room for Mega Drain?"

Needless to say, I swept the rest of the battle, including the level 30 Flame-Charge spamming Zebstrika, without any problems.
    Oh man, that's almost as good as my battle against Elesa. Hi Elesa, meet my Trapinch. Rita? Rockslide, Rockslide, Dig, Dig. I had to use a Super Potion because her Emolga's Pursuit criticaled, but that was it.

3. - Top - End - #723
    Ogre in the Playground

Had the day off work, so I finally got a chance to sit down and just play. Caught a Riolu, beat Cheren, got a medal, looked up what medals were, squeed hard, now off for more ADVENTURE!

EDIT: Oh, it turns out aesoft is down from a DDoS attack, awesome....
    Double EDIT: Showdown! is still up and has a replay system, but that means I have to play on Showdown!
    Last edited by boj0; 2012-10-12 at 09:36 AM.
    Once you go blue, nothing else will do. Once you go Quarian...someone will die.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boj0 View Post
    Had the day off work, so I finally got a chance to sit down and just play. Caught a Riolu, beat Cheren, got a medal, looked up what medals were, squeed hard, now off for more ADVENTURE!
    I was really exited to learn about medals. Now I can have something to catch them all of once Meloetta comes out and thus I will have caught all of the pokemon!

Unless I decide I want shinies of everything and masuda them with the shining charm...

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show

What is this I don't even... well, I think I found where my magic the gathering pack luck went...

5. - Top - End - #725
    Troll in the Playground

Bianca, why do you not have an adamant-nature Oshawott?

(In related news, Black and White 2 have finally released over here in the UK)
    Part of YugiohITP

Warning: This post may contain traces of nuts, madness and/or sarcasm, you have been warned.

6. - Top - End - #726

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    I was really exited to learn about medals. Now I can have something to catch them all of once Meloetta comes out and thus I will have caught all of the pokemon!

Unless I decide I want shinies of everything and masuda them with the shining charm...

EDIT:
    Spoiler
    Show

What is this I don't even... well, I think I found where my magic the gathering pack luck went...

Did you catch it?

Edit In other news, Hate Pursuit
    Last edited by Illven; 2012-10-12 at 02:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

7. - Top - End - #727
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah I caught it. Thankfully it knew rock slide, so I was able to hit it in small numbers (Riolu with Copycat for the win).

Thank god it didn't know take down.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Fact: Magnemite is hax against Roxie. Confirmed.

(Resists all attacks by her and her gym members, and Sonicboom is simply OP at levels where 40 HP is pretty good)

9. - Top - End - #729
    Orc in the Playground

Hell yes. It's also amazing against Burgh, especially if you manage to wrangle a Zubat from the sewers. Even underleveled, the two of them can tank even critical hits from the guy like nothing, and Sonicboom/STAB Wing Attack are pure murder.
    Last edited by Agent_0042; 2012-10-12 at 04:20 PM.
    Shugenja (3.5 Base Class, Redux, Mostly Complete, Orders and Extra Material WIP)
    Planar Thaumaturge (3.5 Prestige Class, Complete)
    Event Horizon (3.5 Discipline, Mostly Complete)

Reposting the Martial Compendium (All the material I could recover from the old Wizards forums)

10. - Top - End - #730
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Still don't have White 2 yet. Sort of low on monetary funds and such.

Don't know what to do. Pick up my Heart Gold, perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonprime View Post
    AT, I esteem you above all other men now.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post

Sell Blood/Hair/Sperm/Marrow/Plasma/Squirrels/Old DVD's/Video Games/Your Sister/Your Brother/Your Panties/Your Neighbor, Take out a loan, Turn to a life of crime, or just play HG?

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AtlanteanTroll View Post

Don't they cost the same anyway?

13. - Top - End - #733

Don't they cost the same anyway?
    I think he already has HG

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Titan in the Playground

This is SO ANNOYING.

I have the money to get B2. Unfortunately, though I have a driver's license, I don't have any excuse that would take me in the direction of any nearby game store. Costco doesn't stock it, if there's any other supersupermarket (as in stocking non-food, specifically games) nearby I don't know of it and nobody in my family gets stuff from there, and there's no chore I might do that I might be expected to take 30 minutes longer than I'd actually take. The only places near the Gamestop that anybody in my family might go to are restaurants (whole family goes) and clothes stores (which I never go to, and if Mom wants anything from there she'll go herself).

I would just ask if I can go, but I think I've used up their tolerance for requests with switching out of a class that they wanted me to stay in.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

15. - Top - End - #735
    Barbarian in the Playground

Traded in 2 games, and $5, and got Black 2 from Gamestop today. Babysitting, so I haven't gotten the chance to try it out. Originally had Pokemon White, so I figured I'd go with the opposite color this time.

Also went with Smugleaf (Snivy) in my first playthrough, so it's Oshawatt or Tepig this time around. Any recommendations?

Also, anything I should know before I get it started? I'm generally a casual player (Haven't gotten into the big competitive scene), so I'm not too concerned.

Happy to see the Pokemon community on OOTS is still active. Who knows, maybe I'll join in on some of those online battles, haven't really done it before.
    3DS Friend Code: 1907-9395-1731
    Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

Avatar: Thanks to asdflove for my avatar. ^_^

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alaris View Post
    Traded in 2 games, and $5, and got Black 2 from Gamestop today. Babysitting, so I haven't gotten the chance to try it out. Originally had Pokemon White, so I figured I'd go with the opposite color this time.

Also went with Smugleaf (Snivy) in my first playthrough, so it's Oshawatt or Tepig this time around. Any recommendations?

Also, anything I should know before I get it started? I'm generally a casual player (Haven't gotten into the big competitive scene), so I'm not too concerned.

Happy to see the Pokemon community on OOTS is still active. Who knows, maybe I'll join in on some of those online battles, haven't really done it before.
    Umm... all I can think of to say is that by the time you're level 15 or so Return is better than 90% of the moves the starters learn early on. Also, Riolus in Flocassy Ranch become disc one nukes if you get friendship high enough, fast enough (they like Return a lot as well).

17. - Top - End - #737
    Troll in the Playground

I have to put this game down for a while. Three times tonight I nearly slung my DS out my window, as triple battle trainers obliterated my team by showing up out of nowhere and being the exact combo to screw me over. The crowning moment was in Drayden's gym, when a triple battle BUGGED UP on me, preventing me from finishing it - Excadrill and Reuniclus got KO'd at the same time, and the game wouldn't let me pick who to send out next. I picked Gurdurr, and it said "Shift with who?" stating all other 3 pokemon couldn't switch. Changing to Chandelure, it said the same thing, with Gurdurr unable to switch. So...forced reset! Great! Another totally infuriating experience with this game!

And then Drayden. Absolutely out of nowhere crits KOs Excadrill against Druddigon, and then Haxorus spams Dragon Dance several times. Proceeds to 1 hit everything I have, because I don't have anything that can even outspeed it after even 1 dance.
    Last edited by Derjuin; 2012-10-12 at 07:52 PM.
    Behold! My tiny deviantart gallery!
    Comment, browse the itty-bitty collection, etc.
    Morning Star

18. - Top - End - #738

Well this Elesa battle went much better then the White one did.

Used a Watchog, Growlithe, and Liepard.

The team members I didn't bring were Dewott, Crobat, and Lilligant.

@Derjuin. Wow. You'd think the game would be able to handle more then one pokemon fainting in a triple battle.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ettin in the Playground

You have to select the fainted pokemon first I think in order to switch something in, I think. That or the other way around. Select one, then select the fainted pokemon.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Firbolg in the Playground

So I got White 2 on release day. Just beat the Champion a couple hours ago.

Warning for Nuzlockers out there, spoilered in case you're doing a blind run for whatever reason:

Spoiler
    Show
    Be very very careful on Victory Road. Seriously, I blew through 10 revives there despite going in relatively overleveled (by the time I got out my average party level was already the same as the Champion's highest, just for reference).

Also with the champion, it may just be me, but the Rock/Bird thing caused me the most trouble. I took out most of his team with no casualties, but then that thing turned around and annihilated 4/6 on my team.

Okay, that warning aside, I enjoyed the game. The story was somewhat interesting (I only got to play half of Black/White 1, so a lot of the plasma and Reshiram/Zekram stuff was new to me). I also found the Habitat List possibly the best new feature ever added to Pokemon. Not sure if it was in Black/White 1, but one of the main reasons I never bother catching everything is because of the hassle involved in figuring out where to go for new stuff. The habitat list makes that much easier and more convenient.

Also, Join Avenue is amazing. It makes so many things convenient. Right now I've got 3 gyms set up, letting me get 3 free levels daily. The food/salon thing will be useful for grinding happiness I'm sure, and I love the item shops, I've been getting by buying up 36 moo milk daily, saved me a fortune on potions. (Similarly I love Casteliacones, though now that I'm sitting over 50 I'm going to stop going there daily)

Now to go explore post game stuff.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

21. - Top - End - #741
    Titan in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Both are solid choices, though Tepig is better for taking advantage of Return due to its higher Attack.
    Umm... all I can think of to say is that by the time you're level 15 or so Return is better than 90% of the moves the starters learn early on. Also, Riolus in Flocassy Ranch become disc one nukes if you get friendship high enough, fast enough (they like Return a lot as well).
    Magnemite is also a blasted main battle tank against Roxie. The game specifically has a Rough Neck tell you where to fetch one, and it's in an area you're encouraged to go to before fighting her anyway... and when you're under level 20, 20 almost-guaranteed damage and near-immunity to the opponent is nasty.

Also, Pokéstar Studios is a great way to get stuff. Just follow the script and you get 5 Lemonade and a Berry Juice every time you complete a movie.
    Last edited by Mando Knight; 2012-10-12 at 10:08 PM.

22. - Top - End - #742
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... Nah, not gonna use Magnemite. Using Magnemite will just depress me by reminding me about using it back in Gen 1. No, go ahead, look at its moveset from back then.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

23. - Top - End - #743

Alright, babysitting finally done, breaking out my old DS Phat for Pkmn Black 2. And... here... we... go...

Pokemon X Info: Modern Pattern Vivillon & Flying-Type Friend Safari (w/ Farfetch'd & Swanna)

24. - Top - End - #744

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Hmm... Nah, not gonna use Magnemite. Using Magnemite will just depress me by reminding me about using it back in Gen 1. No, go ahead, look at its moveset from back then.
    To be fair most pokemon had crap move sets back then.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Illven View Post
    To be fair most pokemon had crap move sets back then.
    Thing is, since it's Magnemite pre-Steel, the pokemon you'd compare it to would be Pikachu. Which, yeah, still isn't a thing like the movesets we have now, but it really says something when Pikachu starts off with Thundershock and it's Magnemite's strongest level-up Electric attack that it learns at level 25.

But yeah, Jolteon and Voltorb were almost as crummy, too. Guess there's always Electabuzz.

Edit:

GAAAH I forgot to set the text speed to "Fast" before starting my game! EVERY! SINGLE! TIME!
    Last edited by OracleofWuffing; 2012-10-13 at 01:44 AM.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

26. - Top - End - #746

Edit:

GAAAH I forgot to set the text speed to "Fast" before starting my game! EVERY! SINGLE! TIME!
    Thanks for the reminder

27. - Top - End - #747
    Troll in the Playground

...Aaaand Smugfro's Calm.

Rats.

Well, I guess he's going to be going down the special attack route.

Not-really-spoilers but still talking about the intro to the new game:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I chuckled that Bianca had to explain that "this square thingy" is a PC. If I recall correctly, there's not a computer in her house on Black and White Original Classic.
    ---

28. - Top - End - #748

Huh... so the first town (the one you start in) has a Pokemon Center.

Well, that was easy to abuse. Mystery Gift'd the Event Pokemon from Wifi, the way the pamphlet inside the B2 case said to... and picked up a LEVEL 15 GENESECT from the Pokemon Center right after picking up my Oshawatt.

Really... would've preferred level 5... so at least it wouldn't seem like I can plow through the early game too easy. Now I know I have a power house sitting there, incase I get into some trouble.

29. - Top - End - #749
    Orc in the Playground

Huh... so the first town (the one you start in) has a Pokemon Center.

Well, that was easy to abuse. Mystery Gift'd the Event Pokemon from Wifi, the way the pamphlet inside the B2 case said to... and picked up a LEVEL 15 GENESECT from the Pokemon Center right after picking up my Oshawatt.

Really... would've preferred level 5... so at least it wouldn't seem like I can plow through the early game too easy. Now I know I have a power house sitting there, incase I get into some trouble.
    Not that it'll listen to you until you get some badges under your belt. Remember cats and kiddies, WiFi Event Mons are treated as Trade Mons. Meaning if you aren't enough of a Trainer to command them, they're as likely to take a nap as fight.

I tucked mine in the back of Box 8 and have since ignored it. I am now in the sewers of Castelia City, killin their mans powerleveling my entire current team to 20. Possibly some of my box Mons as well, if I can leave and return without Rivaldude running off. Upside: my Mons will be ferocious! Downside: it's a heck of a lot of grinding at this stage in the game. At least Rivaldude restores my HP/PP after every fight...

30. - Top - End - #750
    Titan in the Playground

Funnily enough, I've never used a Magnemite in any of my teams; I think I'm still at least subconsciously stuck on the whole "G1 Magnemite suuuuucks" thing myself. That and the fact I've never liked the designs of the Magnemite line (though Magnezone is is good enough I'm considering - and not without lots of internal debate even still - using one when I get to W2 - which would be after B2). And it compares unfavourably to Pikachu (well, probably not in later generations with better stats and a move-set in purely game mechanics terms, but otherwise...) in my mind; and there have always been better electric types I liked way more (Mareep/Chinchou, Electrike (probably the most meh of the rest), Shinx and especially Joltik.)

Edit:

Wait, what, you can set that before starting the game?!

Have I been needlessly waiting until whichever Prof it is shuts up to get to the options menu in every single game in the last three generations?!

*skullpalm*